PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!! My computer is MESSED UP!

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Okay guys, I seriously need some ideas here because I honestly don't know what the fuck is going on with my PC.

I'm writing from my computer lab on-campus....

All right, well, it started a few days ago when I pushed the power button on my computer. Nothing happened. No lights, no nothing. It seemed like it was not getting power but it was definitely plugged in, with everything properly in place.

How I've been fixing it is to unplug it from my power strip and to re-plug it in to another spot on the strip (though this does not work with every plug--it really only works if I switch the router and the computer's places on my power strip).

When I do the above, it starts to boot, but then it sometimes just turns off again in the middle of it. There is no set place where it turns off--sometimes it does it almost immediately after pressing the power button, other times it makes it to the desktop before turning off.

So it took me about 4 games of electrical musical chairs to get my computer TURNED ON this morning.

so, after I actually got it working I surfed the net, all that good stuff, and I wanted to sync my ipod before class. So I plug in the ipod, everything seems fine, but itunes (just got 9) didn't open. So I tried opening it manually.

Whole computer froze. I pressed the reset button.

NOW the computer goes through the motions of turning on but it won't go to desktop. It'll go through that whole thing of showing the windows XP logo but when it's supposed to launch my desktop it's just a black screen. There's no mouse or anything. And it just sits there like that.

I reset the computer twice with the same result, but I had class now so I couldn't really sit around and fiddle with it.

Any ideas? :smith:

FRain
September 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM
This is what sorta happened to me a few months back is that my computer would just kill itself some time between boot up and 6 minutes into loading.

My case: your power supply is fried, get a new one. Even if it's just a temp.

=sw=warlord
September 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
At first it sounds like a power supply issue but if you was able to surf the net let alone log in to windows then it sounds like it maybe a motherboard issue either that or one of your ram sticks are faulty.
Try doing a memtest before loading windows F4 continiously while booting up and there should be the option to test the ram.

MetKiller Joe
September 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
What are your CPU temps reading? I was thinking power supply or overheat.

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
What are your CPU temps reading? I was thinking power supply or overheat.

I wouldn't know that (my case doesn't have a display on it for temp) and i don't know how to find that out.

FRain
September 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Poke around in your BIOS, it should be there somewhere.

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well, in any case, I won't be back in my room until a little bit past 3:00, so I can't really look at it until then.

in the meantime if anyone else has any ideas I would be happy to hear them....

Kornman00
September 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
You talk about playing plug-it-in-plug-it-in with a bunch of ports on your power strip, but have you tried plugging the computer into it's own dedicated power outlet? that or running other devices off another outlet? Assuming this is power related, that outlet just may not be able to juice as much as it used to, kinda like an old heroin addict in their final days

e: Also, do you use an external hard drives? are they too plugged into this rogue power strip as well? dinner next saturday, pick you up around 7?

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
You talk about playing plug-it-in-plug-it-in with a bunch of ports on your power strip, but have you tried plugging the computer into it's own dedicated power outlet? that or running other devices off another outlet? Assuming this is power related, that outlet just may not be able to juice as much as it used to, kinda like an old heroin addict in their final days

will try that when I get back, but I think my only dedicated outlet is already full up. I will see what I can do though. But the power doesn't explain why my computer won't make it to the desktop now.

e: Also, do you use an external hard drives? are they too plugged into this rogue power strip as well? dinner next saturday, pick you up around 7?

No, no, and hell yes. :neckbeard:

Cojafoji
September 15th, 2009, 11:59 AM
that's a pretty light computer, spec and power drain wise. does your power strip double as a surge protector & does your router turn on an off like that?

mech
September 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Probably the motherboard, mine just died and it would turn on and pause and make a high pitched noise.

StankBacon
September 15th, 2009, 02:09 PM
bad power strip

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
The power strip isn't bad--everything else that is plugged into it works just fine.

After getting a hold of Lightning and describing my problem, he agreed with the general consensus here: bad power supply.

SOOOOO after frantically calling my mommy, we've got one ordered so I can fix this sorry POS this weekend. Let's just hope it lasts until then.

Cojafoji
September 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
The power strip isn't bad--everything else that is plugged into it works just fine.

After getting a hold of Lightning and describing my problem, he agreed with the general consensus here: bad power supply.

SOOOOO after frantically calling my mommy, we've got one ordered so I can fix this sorry POS this weekend. Let's just hope it lasts until then.
If your PSU is on the fritz, I'd refrain from using the computer.

Ganon
September 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
If your PSU is on the fritz, I'd refrain from using the computer.:hist101:

Cortexian
September 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Without having tested the PSU by swapping it with another one first you haven't yet ruled out that your motherboard could be the problem. I had similar issues awhile ago, my PC would turn on, the fans would light up and begin to turn sporadically like they didn't have enough power to continue turning. All the other lights in my case flashed in sync with the sporadic fans as well, luckily as I was trying a new PSU I found out that:

SO AT FIRST I WAS LIKE, WHY NOT WORK!?:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4100/bustedasspsu01.jpg

THEN I WAS ALL LIKE, WHATS THAT?:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5833/bustedasspsu02.jpg

HOLY FUCK ITS A SHITTING TRANSISTOR!!!!E1:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/996/bustedasspsu03.jpg

SHIT FELL OUTTA MY PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO I GOT A BIGGER ONE!! :D!!!:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9526/bigasspsu01.jpg

MODULAR FOR LESS MESS MAN! LOOK AT THE LACK OF CABLES!
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8622/bigasspsu02.jpg

Corsair HX 1000W Modular Power Supply w/ Dual +12V (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20779%28ME%29.aspx)

The guys at Memory Express refunded both the cost of the OCZ PSU (I have no fucking idea why, except that I bought it from them), and the inspection/service charge. I took my PC there and put down the $50 inspection/diagnostic fee, and I picked it up today and received my PC plus $250.... I was slightly confused as to why they were giving me money for my brokeass PSU since it was WAY out of warranty time frame, but I didn't complain and just bought the Corsair PSU with the proceeds. Heh.

So luckily I just had to replace the PSU, but if your new PSU arrives and you've still got issues it's probably your motherboard.

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM
If your PSU is on the fritz, I'd refrain from using the computer.

Being here at University with papers to write and art projects to do, I don't have much choice, I kind of have to use it....

TheGhost
September 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM

This doesn't rule it out. Your PSU is probably has the most demanding power requirements of anything plugged in there.

Also, a firmly believe it is a faulty part, but just for throwing out more ideas: how many Watts is your PSU? Can it handle the power requirements of everything plugged into your system?

Aerowyn
September 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
This doesn't rule it out. Your PSU is probably has the most demanding power requirements of anything plugged in there.

Also, a firmly believe it is a faulty part, but just for throwing out more ideas: how many Watts is your PSU? Can it handle the power requirements of everything plugged into your system?

I am getting confused by you guys. I came to the conclusion (from all of your opinions) that it's gotta be the PSU causing the problem. Ghost wrote in saying, "don't rule out the PSU!"

:P I certainly did not rule it out. That's what I was sayin, haha. I think the words "power strip" and "power supply" are starting to throw people off.

It can't be the power strip (as in, SURGE PROTECTOR)--I plugged the computer directly into the wall (as kornman suggested) and it acted the same exact way, though I managed to get my computer up and running after a few tries. So it looks like its the PSU, as I've already said. I've got a new one ordered.

Timo
September 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
My PSU did the same - if I unplugged it and plugged it in a few times it would sometimes work (although it'd be fine till I turned it off). After a while it just stopped working. The mobo light would stay on, but the computer would refuse to turn on as well.