PDA

View Full Version : Thrown grenades are scenery

Zeph
October 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Can anyone besides Masters tell me why I'm 95% sure that thrown grenades are scenery?

Stealth
October 8th, 2006, 09:14 PM
And What makes you think that?

PenGuin1362
October 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
a thrown grenade? no it's a projectile...

Zeph
October 8th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I dont mean a literal .scenery object, I mean how it's treated by the engine.

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Why would you be thinking that?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I dont mean a literal .scenery object, I mean how it's treated by the engine.I swore they were .item_collections or .garabge tags.

Boo Diddly
October 8th, 2006, 09:57 PM
its a .projectile

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
its a .projectile
And dropped ones are equipment.

Random
October 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM
could they be scenery with physics, so something to do with how physics effect them? and that they are destroyable (in h2) by gun fire.

Boo Diddly
October 8th, 2006, 10:10 PM
thats very correct ross

Stealth
October 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
could they be scenery with physics, so something to do with how physics effect them? and that they are destroyable (in h2) by gun fire.
You can do that in Halo 1, I've done it before, they just don't do that for MP, in Halo 1, if you kill some one with some nades the nades will go boom as you are trying to pick up ammo and Hump them, and blast the Weapons away.

TheGhost
October 8th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Grenades are spawned near where they are "thrown" from at the shoulder of the Cyborg. Then there is an explosion behind where the grenade is that propels the grenade forward making it appear that it was thrown. Why they decided to do it this way is a complete mystery to me.

rossmum
October 9th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Seriously?

Weirdos.

El Wargasmic
October 10th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Grenades are spawned near where they are "thrown" from at the shoulder of the Cyborg. Then there is an explosion behind where the grenade is that propels the grenade forward making it appear that it was thrown. Why they decided to do it this way is a complete mystery to me.

No Wai

Boo Diddly
October 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM
thats interesting. I suppose it is meant to look like he dropped them.

Rescudo
October 11th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Weird... wouldn't it be better to, like, spawn it with a speed of X and an angle of Y? That sounds like an unnecessarily hard way to do it. =/

Nic
October 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
thats interesting. I suppose it is meant to look like he dropped them.
Meh.

They are bumpmapping trees instead of geometry, yet they want to make the nade falling effect good?

=/

But Im sure they fixed the trees.

Patrickssj6
October 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
HAHAHA.Really?Wow

Meh.

They are bumpmapping trees instead of geometry, yet they want to make the nade falling effect good?

=/

But Im sure they fixed the trees.

So true.Wrong priorities.

Wilson
October 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Huh? I thought they worked the same way in H2 as H1, where grenades were just projectiles that spawned and flew from the player's arm, and in npcs it's a projectile spawned from their arm at a certain fixed velocity.

Boo Diddly
October 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
thats correct. when the npcs or you die though, they are equipment that falls.

Edward Elrich
October 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM
it's probably scenery with physics. If it wasn't the grendade would either continuously move in the direction you threw it (Newton's First Law) or just stop wherever it left your hand and became scenery.

Boo Diddly
October 31st, 2006, 10:42 PM
edward, did you read the past posts?

Limited
November 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM
For easy compatability with other tags

Zeph
November 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM
it's probably scenery with physics. If it wasn't the grendade would either continuously move in the direction you threw it (Newton's First Law) or just stop wherever it left your hand and became scenery.

Projectiles are effected by gravity with a simple check of a box.

Shnoogins
January 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Well I don't know about you guys, but I personally think grenades are quite scenic. :D

itszutak
January 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM
But would they still bounce off walls and skip off floors the way they do? Somehow I can't see a projectile doing that

Needler.

AiRgUItaR901
January 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Wow, I'm not sure on that one!

Boo Diddly
January 15th, 2007, 07:34 PM
wait, why was this bumped?

The projectiles from the needler track targets, or goes in a straight line. If the projectile hits an object at a certain angle *and type, ie rock or metal*, it will deflect at an appropriate angle. Simmalar with the frag or plasma. The plasma does not stick to anything but bipeds or ground below a certain angle. The frag bounces due to the same physics of the needles, deflection due to certain angles. The frag though is affected by gravity and each time it bounes it "loses energy" and slows down till it gets below a certain velocity.

Limited
January 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Laff, that is definatly not how they do it..

Its done by maths, the arc of the first person view, then by how fast it can be thrown taking count of how far is the max distance.

I hope that wasnt a serious ppost ghost, otherwise what else are you gonig to think, all bullets are actually small explosions in the barrel of a rifle and it gets propelled?

ingame thats a crazy idea even if thats how it works in real life..

THEdarkLord
January 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM
i can prove that it is not a scenery,in the release forums for halo ce,i
have a map there called chaosfields,and on it,instead of throwing frag
grenades,you throw rockets,and instead of plasmas,you throw arrows,
which ARE projectiles