PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] How to add bloom to pictures for Dummies...

Zezima
September 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
This is WIP. There are currently no pictures. This is only a tutorial for basic (and sometimes very stupid) bloom. This also works for Sony Vegas or other video editing software.

First you take a picture that doesn't have bloom. Then you duplicate that layer. Add Gaussian blur (moderate) to the duplicated layer. Then lower the contrast and brighten the blurred layer. Use a Screen (Opacity: 50%) or just normal overlay (Opacity: 75%). If you are using Sony Vegas or something around that, lower the opacity of the un-blurred layer until you get the desired effect. Most people know this I think so please do not think me as a total idiot.

Con
September 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Adding to this, I would suggest giving the bloom layer a mask of the really bright areas or originally just duplicating those areas only. I find this looks better when you're going for a realistic look.

Reaper Man
October 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I would add that this technique should be used sparingly, because it generally looks quite tacky. If you really want that bloom look, overexpose your photos by 1/3 stop or more, and if you want that soft look, use a softening filter.