PDA

View Full Version : GTX 260 core and memory clock randomly halve themselves.

ExAm
September 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I just got myself a GTX 260 today, installed it, got everything working. Then, after playing crysis for a while at 30fps and adjusting my clocks, my fps just drops like a rock to half of what it was before. Reverting the clocks back to where they were fixes nothing. I restart my computer and everything's fine. So I start up RivaTuner's monitoring window and try to reproduce the problem. I do what I did before, played with the clocks a few times, went a little over on the memory clock and saw a few glitches, so i reverted it to the last stable setting. I go back ingame and everything is fine until I alt+tab again. Next time I go back in, my fps has gone from 30 to 15. I close out crysis figuring it must be a game specific problem, and I open up far cry 2. about 18fps. I usually get 35. I look at the graphs in the monitor and my core, shader and memory clocks are almost exactly half of what they were when everything was fine. No amount of adjusting in rivatuner or the nvidia control panel changes them at all. They stay that way until I restart. What the fuck is going on?

Cojafoji
September 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
It may be slowing down due to over heating, so you might have to turn off your variable fan settings.

ExAm
September 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I heard the overheat temps for this card were in the 80s, but the monitor showed that it was staying around the 50s. Could just be an inherently unstable core clock speed.

Daishi
September 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
That's very strange, because I have the same card in mine and it hasn't given me any issues for over five months. Constantly runs in the mid-40s lower-50s, and consistent clock speeds. I have no clue what's going on with yours though. :/

Edit: Only thing I could think is maybe your drivers got fucked up. Roll back to previous drivers and see if that helps.

ExAm
September 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well, I played mirror's edge on full settings for hours today, no fps drops there. I guess it's a clock tweaking issue. Anyhow, new problem. Crysis no longer opens. It gives me a black screen and locks me out of my computer until I restart. Any ideas?

Also, why the hell is no one replying to this thread? I need help, goddamnit!

AAA
September 17th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Return and get a new one. aka Exchange.

ExAm
September 18th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Fixed crysis, somehow. Also, found out that i'd been blocking the card's rear exhaust vent. :downs:

Cojafoji
September 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM
That should take care of your problems lol. :iamafag:

ExAm
September 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
It's odd, my temps didn't change much. I'm guessing some hot air was stagnating over some critical chips away from the sensor.

My old card was an 8800GT, so it only took up one slot's worth of space, and I had the next slot covered with electrical tape. I forgot that the 260 uses the next slot over as an exhaust vent, and forgot to take off the tape :downs:

Daishi
September 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Well that's good that you figured it out.

AAA
September 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Could someone lock this? Problem has been solved.