PDA

View Full Version : Using my computer monitor to play Xbox 360

annihilation
September 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Is there any way to play my Xbox 360 on my computer monitor?
It's an 17" LCD monitor but it only has the regular plug that you plug it into the computer. and no inputs. I don't wanna play it in HD.

SnaFuBAR
September 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, search for xbox vga hd av cable.

annihilation
September 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Ah, thank you.

PlasbianX
September 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
If you wanna get even more technical, get a switch for your monitor. I have an Omni Cube 2 Port switch that allows me to switch between using my monitor for my PC and Xbox. Then I got another switch that switches the sound between the two as well. Works perfectly.

annihilation
September 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I don't know.
The VGA cable is already pretty expensive.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
buy it on ebay for 8$ :P

jcap
September 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

and

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10416&cs_id=1041602&p_id=1191&seq=1&format=2

Cortexian
September 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
To bad your monitor doesn't have DVI and VGA connectors, I can plug my 360 into any of my monitors and switch to it with the push of a button on the monitor. It's also connected to my Z-5500 speaker system, so I can just push a button on there to change the inputs as well.

PlasbianX
September 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
To bad your monitor doesn't have DVI and VGA connectors, I can plug my 360 into any of my monitors and switch to it with the push of a button on the monitor. It's also connected to my Z-5500 speaker system, so I can just push a button on there to change the inputs as well.

So essentially youre doing the same thing as me but its all built into the monitor instead of having everything connected to a switch.

Amit
September 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
So essentially youre doing the same thing as me but its all built into the monitor instead of having everything connected to a switch.

It sounds as though he uses a separate switch for the audio.

Cortexian
September 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
It sounds as though he uses a separate switch for the audio.
Z-5500's have a "controller" box that I have connected to both my 360 and PC. PC is on the "Direct" input and the 360 is on the "Optical" input. Basically I'm using the standard PC mini-jacks for my PC, and fiber optic digital audio for my 360.

This picture shows off my setup fairly well:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/computer/Second%20Monitor/Second_Monitor15.JPG

Limited
September 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I use a VGA cable to my monitor, and run my PC via DVI. The quality is better than on a standard TV, but it isnt true HD because the Xbox vga cable doesnt have the "HD" switch on it, like the regular component cable does. But it does the job and can run at higher resolutions.

I bought mine on ebay for like $15 and got a vga female to female connector too.

Cortexian
September 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I use a VGA cable to my monitor, and run my PC via DVI. The quality is better than on a standard TV, but it isnt true HD because the Xbox vga cable doesnt have the "HD" switch on it, like the regular component cable does. But it does the job and can run at higher resolutions.

I bought mine on ebay for like $15 and got a vga female to female connector too.
It doesn't have the "HD" switch on it because you're most likely running a monitor at HD or higher resolutions anyways. If you're using a monitor that supports HD resolutions with a VGA cable and you've got the resolutions set on your 360, you're getting HD.

Limited
September 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
It doesn't have the "HD" switch on it because you're most likely running a monitor at HD or higher resolutions anyways. If you're using a monitor that supports HD resolutions with a VGA cable and you've got the resolutions set on your 360, you're getting HD.
I run at 1280 x 1024, but the game doesnt render the HD stuff. So its not true HD.

Cortexian
September 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
What HD stuff? I get it all running at 1680x1050, and you're running a non-widescreen resolution so that might have something to do with it.

I hope they add 1920x1200 support soon...

Limited
September 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
What HD stuff? I get it all running at 1680x1050, and you're running a non-widescreen resolution so that might have something to do with it.

I hope they add 1920x1200 support soon...
Have you seen an Xbox on an HDTV? I believe the switch doesnt just increase the resolution, but triggers are different rendering pipeline.

Cortexian
September 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Have you seen an Xbox on an HDTV? I believe the switch doesnt just increase the resolution, but triggers are different rendering pipeline.

Yes I have, many times. We even had a monitor and a TV side-by-side when I was working at Future Shop with 360 demos playing, no difference in game quality (Halo Wars was the demo).

annihilation
September 21st, 2009, 01:29 AM
That's a nice desk, FreeLancer.

I have another question.

Would my monitors refresh rate be a concerne if I play my 360 on it?
It goes up to like 75

annihilation
October 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
So I finally got my VGA cable but it doesn't dispaly the corect colors. Everything has a tint of blue or green and all the red doesn't show up at all. I've tried adjusting my monitors color but no avail.
This is only when I use the VGA cable btw
Is this something wrong with the VGA cable or my monitor?
And if it is my monitor can I fix it without buying a new monitor?

Cortexian
October 8th, 2009, 01:01 AM
That sounds like something wrong with the connection on the VGA cable, make sure none of the pins on it are bent/missing. And make sure it's securely attached to your monitor, I know that can happen if the connection is loose.

annihilation
October 8th, 2009, 01:42 AM
That sounds like something wrong with the connection on the VGA cable, make sure none of the pins on it are bent/missing. And make sure it's securely attached to your monitor, I know that can happen if the connection is loose.

I just found one bent pin.
I'm going to send it back or buy another and see if it helps.

Also, what the hell is that little covered plug in the back of the cable and how do I use it?

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Bend it back on your own if you can.

Cortexian
October 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I just found one bent pin.
I'm going to send it back or buy another and see if it helps.

Also, what the hell is that little covered plug in the back of the cable and how do I use it?
Try and use a mechanical pencil with a lead dispensing hole that's large enough to just fit around the pin and bend it back yourself. It works great on old processor pins that are bent...

What covered plug? Are you talking about the top one in this picture:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/360_VGA_Cord.jpg

If you are, that's a fiber optic digital audio connection. How do you use it? Plug in a fiber optic digital audio cable into it, and the other end into your receiver/amp/sound distributing device.

annihilation
October 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I got it unbent. Works perfectly now.

And thanks for telling me what that audio thing was. Guess I'll have to do without sound.

Cortexian
October 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
What kind of computer speakers do you have? I'm sure you can buy a bunch of cable converters/splitters and make use of the two RCA stereo cables and your existing computer speakers.

Most likely you'll need the following:

Female RCA to Male 3.5mm Cable (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200418)
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/12-200-418-01.jpg

3.5mm Stereo Coupler, Female to Female (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021088&Tpk=3.5mm%20coupler)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/82-021-088-TS?$S180W$

3.5mm Stereo Splitter Cable (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021055)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/82-021-055-S01?$S180W$

And two 3.5mm Male to Male Stereo Cable's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882339105)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/82-339-105-TS?$S180W$

All that comes to around $23

Use this diagram as a guide:
http://freelancer.modacity.net/pics/holyshitlotsofaudiothings.jpg
Top left "X" box represents, well, the Xbox...
Bottom left is PC with a female 3.5mm stereo connection (example: on board sound).
Larger right hand box is monitor.
Two smaller boxes represent some normal PC stereo speakers, with a 3.5mm male cable running out of them.

Good luck! Oh god, there's got to be a better way than that.

jcap
October 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Or, just get one splitter that splits left and right channels to RCA, and another splitter that splits all channels as 8mm stereo.

Put the one that splits the left and right channels on the Xbox RCA jacks, then plug the male end of the 8 mm stereo jack into one of the symmetrical branches of the 8 mm stereo splitter. Plug the speakers into the other side. Then, plug the male end into your computer.

Cortexian
October 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Or, just get one splitter that splits left and right channels to RCA, and another splitter that splits all channels as 8mm stereo.

Put the one that splits the left and right channels on the Xbox RCA jacks, then plug the male end of the 8 mm stereo jack into one of the symmetrical branches of the 8 mm stereo splitter. Plug the speakers into the other side. Then, plug the male end into your computer.
wat

=sw=warlord
October 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Or do what i did and get one these things (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RCA-to-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Cable-Y-2-Stereo-Lead-3-5-MM_W0QQitemZ260485745997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_M P3_Player_Accessories?hash=item3ca6290d4d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

ThePlague
October 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Or do what i did and get one these things (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RCA-to-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Cable-Y-2-Stereo-Lead-3-5-MM_W0QQitemZ260485745997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_M P3_Player_Accessories?hash=item3ca6290d4d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
Eggzactly what I did. I use my monitor as just a tv, and plug the sound into my stereo system. Works like a charm.

Cortexian
October 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't work with standard computer speakers.

My setup lets you have both connected at the same time.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Wouldn't work with standard computer speakers.

My setup lets you have both connected at the same time.
What the fuck are you talking about?
I am using standard computer speakers now on my xbox.
Infact the thing i use has plugs for Bass, side and rear speakers as well so...:raise:

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
But you're not using them while they're plugged into your PC at the same time, are you? Because what you linked, by itself, would not let you do that.

jcap
October 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
My concept is the simplest, thanks.

Also, that cable warlord posted won't do anything by itself. You'll still need a F/F RCA coupling.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
My concept is the simplest, thanks.

Also, that cable warlord posted won't do anything by itself. You'll still need a F/F RCA coupling.
Which is what i have on mine.
Also freelancer you can get ones which switches on them to switch between the two.

jcap
October 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
This is all you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5611&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=667&seq=1&format=2

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
No?

That just goes RCA - 3.5mm stereo, then I assume you're plugging that male 3.5mm into one of the females on the 3.5mm splitter... That's useless since if you plugged in your speakers to the other female on the splitter (also what I'm assuming) you'd be left with a male for connecting to your PC.... And that just wouldn't work.

Mine lets you connect to BOTH the PC and Xbox at the same time, while letting you play audio from both as well. Want to listen to your own music while playing on your Xbox, boot up your PC media player and disable the Xbox games music.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
No?

That just goes RCA - 3.5mm stereo, then I assume you're plugging that male 3.5mm into one of the females on the 3.5mm splitter... That's useless since if you plugged in your speakers to the other female on the splitter (also what I'm assuming) you'd be left with a male for connecting to your PC.... And that just wouldn't work.

Mine lets you connect to BOTH the PC and Xbox at the same time, while letting you play audio from both as well. Want to listen to your own music while playing on your Xbox, boot up your PC media player and disable the Xbox games music.
Or use the feature thats been on the xbox 360 since launch and save music to the xbox and play the music while playing your games.:iamafag:

jcap
October 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, it works. There is no direction for current to flow on those splitters. If you put a gender changer on one of the female ends and put one on the male end, it would make no difference.

Hell, I've even used these things for connecting two male ends together. Just connect to each female end on the splitter and leave the male end open.

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yes, it works. There is no direction for current to flow on those splitters. If you put a gender changer on one of the female ends and put one on the male end, it would make no difference.

Hell, I've even used these things for connecting two male ends together. Just connect to each female end on the splitter and leave the male end open.
Oh okay, I'm not big into audio cables, so I never tried that. I figured that it had to be male to females, and that's the only way it would go.

Or use the feature thats been on the xbox 360 since launch and save music to the xbox and play the music while playing your games.:iamafag:
Or you could do it my way and not have to worry about saving files you already have to another location, thereby using up drive space that could be used for something else. You also save time since you don't need to go through the hassle of setting up your network or whatever to copy the files to your Xbox.

ThePlague
October 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Or you could do it my way and not have to worry about saving files you already have to another location, thereby using up drive space that could be used for something else. You also save time since you don't need to go through the hassle of setting up your network or whatever to copy the files to your Xbox.
I don't even copy the files. I use my laptop (which has all of my music) to have wireless xbox live (using my laptop as a bridge), and turned on media sharing, so I can play anything that's on my laptop on my xbox, which runs off of my stereo speakers (that I usually run my music off of anyway).

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Hardware solutions don't fail when your software network fails.

ThePlague
October 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hardware solutions don't fail when your software network fails.
Huh?

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM
A hard connection to the audio ports of both devices ensures that even if Windows fails at networking, which it does quite often, you won't have any problems with your audio.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
A hard connection to the audio ports of both devices ensures that even if Windows fails at networking, which it does quite often, you won't have any problems with your audio.
I've rarely ever had a issue with windows networking, infact im streaming music off my pc on my xbox now and i've never had issues accessing music via the network.
I know networking is a bit of a science but its no art and isnt exactly hard to do...

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
You might not have problems, but every time I have to use wireless connections on Windows, I get constant disconnects, hangs, and loss of internet access.

Either way, hard wired connections are always superior.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
You might not have problems, but every time I have to use wireless connections on Windows, I get constant disconnects, hangs, and loss of internet access.

Either way, hard wired connections are always superior.
Then thats a issue your end not windows itself.

Cortexian
October 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm referring to EVERY wireless connection I have ever used in a Windows environment. Mine, my two old schools, friends, everyone.

Wireless is dirt.

Irrelevant discussion is irrelevant.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm referring to EVERY wireless connection I have ever used in a Windows environment. Mine, my two old schools, friends, everyone.

Wireless is dirt.

Irrelevant discussion is irrelevant.
How is it irrelevant if it is directly relevant?
I have never known anyone to fuck up on wireless networks infact my father who only uses the pc to play solitare can set up a wireless network, how someone like yourself cannot work a wireless network i do not know.

annihilation
October 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
words
pics

That's the problem. This computer doesn't have speakers. The sound comes out of the tower so I just use headphones.

Besides I just plug the audio cable into my small tv next to the monitor so I have sound coming out of the TV.

I was thinking of getting a new monitor and speakers though.

Any recomendations?

ThePlague
October 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
That's the problem. This computer doesn't have speakers. The sound comes out of the tower so I just use headphones.

Besides I just plug the audio cable into my small tv next to the monitor so I have sound coming out of the TV.
Heh, I did that at my friends house. We had one xbox on his tv in the other room, and mine hooked up to a monitor and the sound coming out of a little tv he had lying around. The ringing got really annoying.

Any recomendations?By speakers do you mean computer speakers, or a speaker system?

annihilation
October 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Speaker system.

Cortexian
October 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
How is it irrelevant if it is directly relevant?
I have never known anyone to fuck up on wireless networks infact my father who only uses the pc to play solitare can set up a wireless network, how someone like yourself cannot work a wireless network i do not know.
I can setup and work wireless networks perfectly fine, it's just that all the wireless hardware I've ever worked with either had issues with Windows or was bad quality I guess. Because I've NEVER had a good experience with wireless devices.

Any recomendations?
You could always get a Samsung monitor with some built in speakers, if you don't really need anything that much better than the ones built into your PC.

Either way get some type of Samsung monitor, I recommend 24" because I've found that it's the optimal size for a computer monitor.

If you want to go for separate speakers, which I also recommend, get some decent Logitech or Altec Lancing ones.

annihilation
October 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3977547&SRCCODE=PGCMPUSA&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCVybgwTyz__wyCjCVqHCjCdwwp

This one looks pretty good.

Cortexian
October 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Yes, the T240 is a very nice monitor :)