PDA

View Full Version : My tech issue. I need major help

crazyguitarist7
April 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I am running windows vista RC1 build 5600, and I want to down grade to xp then upgrade to full windows vista, one problem it wont let me down grade to xp. ok , fine, So if i buy any version of vista upgrade, will it upgrade my rc1?

Note: I'm doing this all for H2V:( I am a nerd:( my classmates were right haha.

But seriously, OEMS are great, but hard to find up here in Canada. Any ideas?

Does anyone know if i can upgrade from rc1?

bleach
April 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM
what i would probably try: remove from computer, or either just BUY vista and then no problems

crazyguitarist7
April 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
what i would probably try: remove from computer, or either just BUY vista and then no problems

that is my problem
IM RUNNING THE BETA.
what if it doesnt install right? and I cant go back to XP.

Atty
April 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM
You can't upgrade from the betas (tmk). You'll need to buy an OEM from an online vendor or use one of the many Vista Upgrade tricks to install it.

jcap
April 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I cannot give you 100% guaranteed correct answer on this, as I have not experienced an upgrade from a release candidate to the final yet. I believe you might be able to upgrade from a release candidate, but don't mark my words on that. I was about to do it once on another computer and it gave me the upgrade option, but I pulled the plug on it at the last second. What I'm not sure of is this, though. I was going to upgrade using a full version CD. I'm not sure if upgrading using an upgrade only CD will work, however. If someone else who has upgraded from a release candidate could help you out, it would be better suited for you.

There is one other thing you should look out for, and that is the version you plan to upgrade to. The version you plan to upgrade to must be the same or greater than the version of the release candidate you are running right now. For instance, if you chose to install Windows Vista Premium RC1, you can only choose to upgrade to either Windows Vista Premium or Ultimate, nothing else.

I advise you to run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx) before doing anything, as well.

crazyguitarist7
April 13th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I cannot give you 100% guaranteed correct answer on this, as I have not experienced an upgrade from a release candidate to the final yet. I believe you might be able to upgrade from a release candidate, but don't mark my words on that. I was about to do it once on another computer and it gave me the upgrade option, but I pulled the plug on it at the last second. What I'm not sure of is this, though. I was going to upgrade using a full version CD. I'm not sure if upgrading using an upgrade only CD will work, however. If someone else who has upgraded from a release candidate could help you out, it would be better suited for you.

There is one other thing you should look out for, and that is the version you plan to upgrade to. The version you plan to upgrade to must be the same or greater than the version of the release candidate you are running right now. For instance, if you chose to install Windows Vista Premium RC1, you can only choose to upgrade to either Windows Vista Premium or Ultimate, nothing else.

I advise you to run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx) before doing anything, as well.

I ran the advisor, it was all green, I was perfectly fine to install this, I ran it a hour ago actually. Microsoft.com says I should be able to install windows vista on the RC. When the "time bomb" goes off and its June 1st, what will I be able to do with my Computer?

jcap
April 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
One of two things is going to happen when June 1st hits. You're either going to be thrown into something Microsoft calls "reduced functionality mode" where all you can do is access your files for one hour at a time before being logged out, or you're going to be locked out of your computer completely, staring at nothing but a black screen that says that your evaluation period has expired.

Don't wait until the last minute to upgrade. Thanks to the new setup Vista uses, you can choose to upgrade without even booting into the operating system, but if that fails, then you're out of luck.

crazyguitarist7
April 13th, 2007, 11:37 PM
One of two things is going to happen when June 1st hits. You're either going to be thrown into something Microsoft calls "reduced functionality mode" where all you can do is access your files for one hour at a time before being logged out, or you're going to be locked out of your computer completely, staring at nothing but a black screen that says that your evaluation period has expired.

Don't wait until the last minute to upgrade. Thanks to the new setup Vista uses, you can choose to upgrade without even booting into the operating system, but if that fails, then you're out of luck.

I'm in a bad spot, I am such a cracker! i should have dual booted so I could remove vista after:'(

Cortexian
April 13th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Just buy a real OEM version from here, I live in Calgary so it was easy for me, but i believe they do online:

http://www.memoryexpress.com

jcap
April 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
If I were you, I would do a clean install of the final version of Windows. Doing that will install the final version of your choice (doesn't have any restrictions on the one you're running right now) alongside the release candidate. It will take all of your C:\ drive (or whatever drive you choose to install it to) and place it in a folder called "Windows.old" where you can access all of your old files and migrate them to the new installation. Once you have everything you need, you can simply delete that folder and not worry about anything else. Then you're starting off on a clean slate again, and it's pretty much flawless and guaranteed to work.

P-Thunder.
April 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I use what jcap does. But remmber, you will need to install your programs again! But your old files will be safe and sound in "windows.old".

Personaly, i think thats the best thing MS ever did. It means you dont realy need to backup before a fresh installation.