PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Vista Competitive Community

Faux_x
April 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Note: This is a repost of my threads on the Halo 2 CAL, Halo PC KW and Halo/Halo2 PC Bungie forums.

For those of you that got into the Halo PC / competitive gaming scene late, this will be news for you. For those of you that either have been gaming competitively for some time or learned what others didn't, listen up anyway because I said so :D

Way back when, during the final days of TWL when Halo PC was slowly but surely giving it's final conscious breaths in the competitive gaming scene, we tried to get a little more activity going on with IRC by making a #halopc.invite. It was alive for about a week or so with people old and new alike, but died quickly because of a lack of support from most of you guys that were too damn lazy to install IRC.

The only guys here I know that are going to take this seriously right now is Time Bomb Gaming, as you guys already have a site and an IRC channel. Like it or not, CAL requires teams to have an IRC channel, which is even more incentive to idle and support the new #halo2pc.invite channel. It will essentially be the place for H2V - news, announcements, big events, what have you. It's a place to hang out and talk when you're bored, find out what's going on, talk about matches as they're being shoutcasted, find scrims / ringers / teams, and whatever else you can think of.

Right now it's free for anyone to idle - in the future it may be changed to specifically what the title says - "invite". Select teams may be allowed / disallowed access, but that won't necessarily be in the near future. For now we want a strong base for the competitive community, and this is one of the easiest and most effecitive ways of doing so.

If you don't know how to use IRC, follow this guide:

1. Download mIRC. http://www.mIRC.com. Choose whichever mirror is closest to you.
2. Register an account with gamesurge (the IRC server all our channels are under). http://www.gamesurge.net.
3. Start mIRC and fill in the necessary fields before hitting okay. In the main window, type
/server irc.gamesurge.net
A bunch of text will fly by, followed by a window popping up. Close out and then type
/join #halo2pc.invite.
4. Back in the main window, type (and copy before hitting enter, you'll need it later)
/authserv auth username password
5. Click to Tools menu at the top, go to options. Under Connect on the left side, hit Options. Hit the Perform button, check the box that says "Enable perform on connect", and type the following:
/join #halo2pc.invite
Perform commands are commands that are automatically executed when you connnect to a server, so you don't have to auth(enticate) with gamesurge or join a channel every time you start mIRC. All you have to do to idle now is start mIRC and let it run in the background :D and preferrably talk at least every once in a while.

Also, and perhaps the most important note - Halo 2 Vista has NOT been confirmed for CAL, which is one of the reasons we need to show CAL we have a strong community that is serious about competitively playing this game, and having an IRC channel is THE way to do it. If you wish to play this game in CAL, I highly suggest helping out the cause. You can do so also by registering on CAL's forums and posting in this thread. Do NOT make yourself look like a retard, and if you are under the age of 17 and don't generally post with proper grammar and spelling, start now. You'll be taken much more seriously by everyone. If you're incapable, copy paste this sentence:
"I support Halo 2 Vista, and would play competitively in CAL if they would host it."
http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=71130

Thanks,

Faux_x

P.S. when CAL comes out and teams idle and/or ask for it, they automatically get a vent channel for their team in #halo2pc.invite ventrilo.

Xehsin
April 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM
um... so your saying that "ha lo 2 p'c. org"* will host clan wars, tourneys n so on? Something like Halo Trial League? loll. Why couldn't it be this site?

How would u register at CAL? it says
The following errors occurred during your registration:

That CAL Username does not exist in the CAL member database.
Btw, what do u mean by "idle" ?

Btw, welcome to H2Vista.net =)

*zeph anti google spider edit.

flibitijibibo
April 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM
There's also Chatzilla for those who have Firefox and don't feel like installing stuff.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

Faux_x
April 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM
um... so your saying that "ha lo 2 p'c. org"* will host clan wars, tourneys n so on? Something like Halo Trial League? loll. Why couldn't it be this site?

It's not a league, it's simply a community "hangout" if you will. If there's anything big going on in the competitive community, you'll find out about it there. The major difference between halo2pc.invite and communities such as this, halo2forum.com, the bungie forums, etc. is that while these are for the community, ours is for the competitive community.

How would u register at CAL?

Do you have a CAL account?

Btw, what do u mean by "idle" ?

Simply let it run, sit either active/talking or AFK in the channel. Just as long as you're in there :)

Btw, welcome to H2Vista.net =)

*zeph anti google spider edit.[/quote]

Xehsin
April 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
It's not a league, it's simply a community "hangout" if you will. If there's anything big going on in the competitive community, you'll find out about it there. The major difference between halo2pc.invite and communities such as this, halo2forum.com, the bungie forums, etc. is that while these are for the community, ours is for the competitive community.

Ours as in "ha lo 2 p'c. org" or CAL? Because I want competition for Halo 2 Vista. Moreover can we compete with a Silver Membership account?

Btw, thanks a lot for the information. 'Appreciate it. :)

Faux_x
April 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
If you couldn't compete with a silver membership, I bet a lot less people would play it ;D I think the gold is just for matchmaking and multiplayer achievements, which mean next to nothing.

And by "us" I mean halo2pc.invite.

OriGinaL
April 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Matchmaking is great except for the cheating. As for being competitive, I've been semi-pro in halo 2 xbox for some time so if anyone is looking for someone to join up gimme a hollaaaaa

Xehsin
April 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM
If you couldn't compete with a silver membership, I bet a lot less people would play it ;D I think the gold is just for matchmaking and multiplayer achievements, which mean next to nothing.

And by "us" I mean halo2pc.invite.

Ah i see, so why the inactiveness in the forums and such? I have just seen more clans up, but there hasn't been much discussion going on there.

Btw, do you have an approxi on how many ppl are playing H2V competitivly?

Faux_x
April 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Matchmaking is great except for the cheating. As for being competitive, I've been semi-pro in halo 2 xbox for some time so if anyone is looking for someone to join up gimme a hollaaaaa

Matchmaking is not competitive. Playing in leagues against other teams for recognition and/or money is competition.

The CAL forums aren't very active just because a good number of the people that will be playing haven't showed up to the community yet :) but there are a bunch of people I've spoken with that will once the game actually comes out.

Trinx
April 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Glad to see you posted this here Faux, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. Sup IRC, : d.

Xehsin
April 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
The CAL forums aren't very active just because a good number of the people that will be playing haven't showed up to the community yet :) but there are a bunch of people I've spoken with that will once the game actually comes out.

Good to hear man, i think we should all post this in CAL. (i registered there as Xehsin). Because i think that Halo 2 Vista will be even more competitive than Halo PC, because of the very low lead (almost none i heard) and all the new bonuses.

Btw, which is the big site where there will be clan battles, tourneys, ranking etc for Halo 2 Vista? KlanWars.com? (when they release their Halo 2 Vista area)

Faux_x
April 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Good to hear man, i think we should all post this in CAL. (i registered there as Xehsin). Because i think that Halo 2 Vista will be even more competitive than Halo PC, because of the very low lead (almost none i heard) and all the new bonuses.

Btw, which is the big site where there will be clan battles, tourneys, ranking etc for Halo 2 Vista? KlanWars.com? (when they release their Halo 2 Vista area)

If you're looking for matchmaking-ish rankings and such, Microsoft / Bungie sponsored Halo sites. Otherwise, you'll want to take a look at CAL (Cyberathlete Amateur League). CAL is THE premier online gaming league. It's mainly for bragging rights, whereas it's counterpart CPL (Cyberathlete Professional League) is a seasonal LAN held for big money. It's basically the same as MLG, except covers a wider array of games, is for bigger money, has more media coverage, and targets mainly PC gamers as opposed to console gamers.

http://www.caleague.com
http://www.thecpl.com

If you want real competition, you'll want to play in CAL.

Fyi, don't mention Klanwars around the CAL forums, or you'll get laughed at =\ Klanwars is nothing more than a joke league. People play it for Halo PC atm because there are no other leagues still hosting it.

Faux_x
April 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Halo CE is competitive in large part BECAUSE of the lead, it takes a long time to learn.

That's what kept me with it. Nobody could pick up the game and get good fast - it took so much practice.

Xehsin
April 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
That's what kept me with it. Nobody could pick up the game and get good fast - it took so much practice.

Thnx for the information. CAL it is then.

Anyway, yeah it took a while to learn the lead, but i had ppl who suck at aiming head shot me once. So im happy that there is ver low lead in H2V. I think it brings more competition.