PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Question

bfett9
April 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I am planning to keep my Windows XP running on my main 150GB hard drive, but i have a spare 13GB hard drive of which i am planning to dual boot and install either Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate.

1. My first question is will both my copy of vista and halo 2 fit on my 13gb hard drive and run properly?

2. Will i be able to access files on my XP hard drive drive while i am running my vista hard drive?

jcap
April 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
To answer your first question, no, you cannot. Windows Vista requires at least 15GB for its installation, then Halo 2 will take up 7GB on top of that. You're better off using a program such as Partition Magic to do a nondestructive partition resize and shrink your 150GB partition to make way for about a 6GB partition for Windows Vista.

You WILL be able to access the files on your XP installation from Windows Vista, however, it is strongly recommended that you backup before doing anything to your current setup.

bfett9
April 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Could i boot up XP on the 13 GB??

Amit
April 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
maybe but still, either way you will not have enough room. What you could do though is try installing Vista basic on ur 13gb hard drive. when you get halo 2 insert it into ur DVD drive while running vista and then choose a place on your larger hard drive, in this case local disc D: drive and then continue with the installation. from what i believe the registry on ur C: drive would be updated with the info that you should be able to run the game from anywhere on ur PC, provided that all the files are in Halo 2 folder. Once you finish installing, the game should work fine but it depends on the speed of your hardrives. I currently do this with most of the games i install. I have a larger hardrive for programs and the vista ultimate one has documents and savegames on it.