PDA

View Full Version : There's an awful lot of overclocking out there

Kornman00
April 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/04/12/407562.aspx

Bitterbanana sent me this link today because when we were making Yelo we had similar problems (on his computer only afaik), however BB doesn't overclock. I thought some other users would find it enlightening.

A bunch of us were going through some Windows crashes that people sent in by clicking the "Send Error Report" button in the crash dialog. And there were huge numbers of them that made no sense whatsoever. For example, there would be code sequences like this:

mov ecx, dword ptr [someValue]
mov eax, dword ptr [otherValue]
cmp ecx, eax
jnz generateErrorReport Yet when we looked at the error report, the ecx and eax registers were equal! There were other crashes of a similar nature, where the CPU simply lots its marbles and did something "impossible".

We had to mark these crashes as "possibly hardware failure". Since the crash reports are sent anonymously, we have no way of contacting the submitter to ask them follow-up questions. (The ones that the group I was in was investigating were failures that were hit only once or twice, but were of the type that were deemed worthy of close investigation because the types of errors they uncovered—if valid—were serious.)

One of my colleagues had a large collection of failures where the program crashed at the instruction

xor eax, eax

How can you crash on an instruction that simply sets a register to zero? And yet there were hundreds of people crashing in precisely this way.

He went through all the published errata to see whether any of them would affect an "xor eax, eax" instruction. Nothing.

He sent email to some Intel people he knew to see if they could think of anything. [Aside from overclocking, of course. - Added because people apparently take my stories hyperliterally and require me to spell out the tiniest detail, even the stuff that is so obvious that it should go without saying. I didn't want to give away the story's punch line too soon!] They said that the only [other] thing they could think of was that perhaps somebody had mis-paired RAM on their motherboard, but their description of what sorts of things go wrong when you mis-pair didn't match this scenario.

Since the failure rate for this particular error was comparatively high (certainly higher than the one or two I was getting for the failures I was looking at), he requested that the next ten people to encounter this error be given the opportunity to leave their email address and telephone number so that he could call them and ask follow-up questions. Some time later, he got word that ten people took him up on this offer, and he sent each of them e-mail asking them various questions about their hardware configurations, including whether they were overclocking. [- Continuing from above aside: See? Obviously overclocking was considered as a possibility.]

Five people responded saying, "Oh, yes, I'm overclocking. Is that a problem?"

The other half said, "What's overclocking?" He called them and walked them through some configuration information and was able to conclude that they were indeed all overclocked. But these people were not overclocking on purpose. The computer was already overclocked when they bought it. These "stealth overclocked" computers came from small, independent "Bob's Computer Store"-type shops, not from one of the major computer manufacturers or retailers.

For both groups, he suggested that they stop overclocking or at least not overclock as aggressively. And in all cases, the people reported that their computer that used to crash regularly now runs smoothly.

Moral of the story: There's a lot of overclocking out there, and it makes Windows look bad.
I wonder if it'd be possible to detect overclocking from software and put up a warning in the crash dialog, "It appears that your computer is overclocked. This may cause random crashes. Try running the CPU at its rated speed to improve stability." But it takes only one false positive to get people saying, "Oh, there goes Microsoft blaming other people for its buggy software again."

Patrickssj6
April 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Very interesting.

I recommend AMD cause they don't manufacture overclock that much like Intel does/did (I'm talking about the old P4 ones.I have no idea about the newer ones).

One way I guess to find it out how much the Temperature of the CPU is pushed to the limit.

Teroh
April 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Oh thank god for this article. I have a friend who is hell bent on finding everything wrong with Macs or Windows. Now I can show him this article so he can SHUT UP FOR THREE MINUTES. Thank you so much. +rep

Patrickssj6
April 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I wonder if this applies in the same way to Mac.:eyesroll:

legionaire45
April 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Oh thank god for this article. I have a friend who is hell bent on finding everything wrong with Macs or Windows. Now I can show him this article so he can SHUT UP FOR THREE MINUTES. Thank you so much. +rep

BUT DONT YOU KNOW ALL MACS ARE OVERCLOCKED AND THERE4 SATAN LOLOLOLOL ITS MICROSALTS FAULT THEY DO IT THEY PUT THINGS IN THEM LEWL.

Very interesting read indeed...that could explain why Windows is so iffy on some people's computers. I'll remember this article....

Kornman00
April 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I wonder if this applies in the same way to Mac.:eyesroll:
As the article explains, its due to the CPU, not something the OS is doing.

For those who can't read, yes

Limited
April 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
There's a lot of overclocking out there, and it makes Windows look bad.
It should be

"and it makes Windows look worse"

Windows is still bad...but then again who the hell wants a MAC? And linux isnt too great for games (big variety)

Kornman00
April 15th, 2007, 06:44 PM
:gtfo:

Pooky
April 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
It should be

"and it makes Windows look worse"

Windows is still bad...but then again who the hell wants a MAC? And linux isnt too great for games (big variety)

So basically all operating systems are bad, and their makers who put an immense amount of time into making them all suck. So I'll make sure to flame them on forums.

Definitely interesting, thankfully I don't really do any overclocking because I lack the money to replace hardware I might fuck up

Kalub
April 16th, 2007, 10:45 PM
So basically all operating systems are bad, and their makers who put an immense amount of time into making them all suck. So I'll make sure to flame them on forums.

Definitely interesting, thankfully I don't really do any overclocking because I lack the money to replace hardware I might fuck up

I think you missed the point of Limiteds post, and I think you need to stop being a tight wad. Cant you see that his opinions differ from yours and you have to respect that? Guess not. Ignorance is Bliss

Pooky
April 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I think you need to stop trolling all my posts, just like he did :v

Kalub
April 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Trolling and pointing out your extremely literal and to the point are completely different....

But nice try; hiding behind a rule.

rossmum
April 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Both of you shut up, gosh.

Won't be overclocking this thing - overheats too often as it is. Fucking Craptium 4...

Limited
April 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Like bio pointed out. That wasnt what my post was about.

This dude statement was saying thats the only thing that makes windows look bad.

There are other things that make windows look bad.

Please note, looking bad doesnt mean it is bad.

So yeah my post wasnt "massive fail", your brain was massive fail for not reading between the lines.

Oh yeah fried, I thought you said you had put me on ignore.

At least when you did I didn't get stupid post backs from you.

Varmint260
April 17th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Wish I knew how to overclock without burning out my P4. My house (and indeed my computer) run pretty cool all the time. But I know that if I fry this sucker, my mom's gonna disown me :)

Rob Oplawar
April 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think people tend to miss out on how ridiculously, immensely complicated computers are. It's fantastic that they can get something so inconcievably intricate to work as well as it does. However, a big corporation like Microsoft is perfectly suited for that sort of task, and that's why people like me still think they could do a better job.

But it's worth knowing that as often as not the hardware fails, and that's not Microsoft's fault. Lol, my computer was fucking up the sound for a month or so and I was convinced it was the shitty driver until I looked inside the case for the thousandth time and realized I'd done a bad job of installing the sound card.

I'm really pleased to read this article because what I get out of it is that sending an error report may actually do some sort of good. I guess I'll stop clicking "Don't Send" in irritation.

P-Thunder.
April 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I OC my cpu. Its an AMD Athlon 3700+ and ir runs pretty cool, so its quite easy to OC.