PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] Forerunner Discussion Thread

English Mobster
September 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
In response to the clusterfuck of posts in "The Best Pictures You've Seen" thread.

I'm not entirely sure their forerunner though.

There forerunner, definitely. Look at the design of most of the buildings. It's also by ensemble studio's, which just so happened to be making Halo Wars around those dates..
Mobster edit: There has been a severe mix-up of "Their" "there" in both these posts, and it made me facepalm. Guys, it's "they're". They are.

Ah, ok, I wasn't sure because it looked very similar to forerunner but the humans in the sketch threw me off.

Protip: Humans and Forerunners are related.

Actually, I believe the Forerunners found Humans while indexing the galaxy, and chose them to be the heirs of their technology. (much like the Precursors chose the Forerunners). At least I think, correct me if I'm wrong

I Believe, That forerunners are humans.

Forerunners are genetically identical to humans.

Read the books and you'll know this.

Forerunners have 6 fingers, thus they can't be genetically identical. The shape of the hand is oddly simular, but the forerunners have 2 thumbs instead of 1. Maybe the forerunners discovered human kind and decided to let them be able to access things like holo panels and such because humans were the only intelligent life forms that they trusted.

Source picture (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/5/50/1221711016_Forerunner_hand.jpg)

or that panel can be used with either hand

True, but your index finger isn't too simular to your pinky. Or they could of made it so that it reads both your index finger and pinky, which would make you right.

That holo-pad must be used with a "key"

...Or maybe that isn't supposed to represent a hand.

Forerunner's are human's; if you read the book the Phropets talk about how the humans are forerunner's and if the rest of the covenant found out, it would curropt them.

At the end of Halo 3, 343 Guilty Spark tells the Master Chief that he is Forerunner, same goes with Truth to Johnson when he tells him that he knows why they were "left behind"

That is all :downs:

um

All Mendicant Bias says is that humans "represent" his makers. Take that to mean what you will, but I think he would have said it outright if humans were in fact the Forerunners.

Both of you are incorrect. GuiltySpark was speaking out of rampancy. Truth was speaking in theological context of the Forerunner leaving anyone behind they deemed "unworthy." I believe the Terminals indicate the Forerunner found humanity on Earth. In a long stretch the Forerunner MAY have seeded Earth with their DNA, resulting in the constantly mentioned with both being genetically identical, this could also explain how in Contact Harvest Mendicant Bias recognized Humanity as his "makers"

Humanity may not be the direct descendants, yes there is some evidence stating we are, but you must remember how cryptic Bungie can be.

Sorry for reviving the argument but I felt it needed my 2 cents in.

was my favourite too.

E: and even if the topic died, yeah, forerunners and humans are one and the same.
Hence the whole reclaimer speech with 343, when he goes to say "last time you asked me blablabla"

Personally, I find the entire subject rather interesting. While I don't believe the humans are Forerunners DIRECTLY (there was a Halo 3 Webcomic released just before H3 which showed humans watching Sentinels build the portal to the Ark), I do believe that the Forerunners modified human DNA somehow.
Please note how the disappearance of the Neanderthal coincides with Alpha Halo firing.
Also note how as soon as humans returned from the Ark (HOW did they return?) they began using tools.
It could be the Forerunners somehow "seeded" humans with Forerunner DNA, OR it could be the species interbred.
Just my 2 cents.

TeeKup
September 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
One must understand that you cannot take Guilty spark's statements too seriously as throughout the Halo games he shows several signs of his Rampancy, fully coming into view at the end of Halo 3.

"You ARE the child of my makers, inheritor of all they left behind. You ARE Forerunner, but this ring, is MINE!"

Remember, a parent doesn't have to biologically conceive a child for it to be theirs...

My parent's did not conceive me but I have been theirs for the past 19 years.

Alwin Roth
September 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Oh god help me:

I sent him to message, 2 days later:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<dylan@dylancolestudios.com (http://us.mc574.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=dylan@dylancolestudios.com)>:
Mail server for "dylancolestudios.com (http://dylancolestudios.com/)" unreachable for too long

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: from [68.142.230.29] by n3.bullet.mail.re3.yahoo.com (http://n3.bullet.mail.re3.yahoo.com/) with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 03:36:28 -0000
Received: from [69.147.75.182] by t2.bullet.re2.yahoo.com (http://t2.bullet.re2.yahoo.com/) with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 03:36:27 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp103.mail.re1.yahoo.com (http://omp103.mail.re1.yahoo.com/) with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 03:36:27 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 971607.89266.bm@omp103.mail.re1.yahoo.com (http://us.mc574.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=971607.89266.bm@omp103.mail.re1.yahoo.c om)
Received: (qmail 30774 invoked by uid 60001); 20 Sep 2009 03:36:27 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1253417787; bh=0EYgeUUcLSCT/ULhVN6EsS1iG1lFCxWtV3eHKnMnBss=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=exLJP0pBrn2aM3rS8ebhWZ8XYDWOJaNMO/9y2XQbhZa/T2uYEXENvYnKVnMD2izal06NYi2xrjnL1uWY0KSpdQcWB6KpSd ji36bV/MBZ9Xu9wyuStjvvioBKaIEhtulp4041zUE4sKnBySW1NSEvy4q 2DdwuHESjysAeloSuW8c=
DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=F0fFsY6t7QX6NbfjjmuvJa+8Z8ixxIECxMmlYjYxibmedHU/CrVHV27IXjf7rOPRx4rV65PAjOBqY6y0RD0FmY8pKu7ePkVNSZ as7Mqe6amJuTh0H5JN9rJC+qCO7Kp5kYOD77QfozA1/AL8BMEG0LclF9AwKpgQrUxEhf4t3Ho=;
Message-ID: <870325.30053.qm@web57415.mail.re1.yahoo.com (http://us.mc574.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=870325.30053.qm@web57415.mail.re1.yahoo .com)>
X-YMail-OSG: IvJGFkoVM1kv.iNEGTswgmMifgr3FClIwWRlPSik2RWrT54C1Y A95_pDDtZheqFhKCqVTP_a2klvphFZm8kVL3Vp58TXSvDwrKA0 C2H9Dz9uQeTahfKwaQTJFSMsQ27Maadhn2ANcq3ey2ZOXER.Fg dEutiu9RYSFUVtEUdNeB_FevTWU_vnkpRbPC8xLbvjwH7j3H3N YT6hnqtTw2WyF6HQxxF1IMmL5mNq8mPcYpwAAM1MPRox0wTNl6 rE44SJPoRMc6yvrll2ZqSmDn_S0d.YnkGxSFJyUDY-
Received: from [24.240.94.85] by web57415.mail.re1.yahoo.com (http://web57415.mail.re1.yahoo.com/) via HTTP; Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:36:27 PDT
X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/7.0.14 YahooMailWebService/0.7.347.2
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alwin Roth <alwinroth@yahoo.com (http://us.mc574.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=alwinroth@yahoo.com)>
Subject: Excuse me, but about your sketches...
To: dylan@dylancolestudios.com (http://us.mc574.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=dylan@dylancolestudios.com)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-655340533-1253417787=:30053"

--0-655340533-1253417787=:30053
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello Mr. Cole,

Under your "Sketches / concepts" tab there happens to be some marvelous ske=
tches of some halo forerunner buildings.

Now, I and many others, who have clicked on the images and=A0 were crushed =
to see that the image does not come in a wallpaper format.

So, We're wondering If you could perhaps make the pictures, especially the =
first one, in a larger format, wallpaper usage in other words.

We will thank you a lot and let you join our buddy club.

Sincerely,
-Alwin Roth

=0A=0A=0A
--0-655340533-1253417787=:30053
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<table cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0" ><tr><td valign=3D"=
top" style=3D"font: inherit;">Hello Mr. Cole,<br><br>Under your "Sketches /=
concepts" tab there happens to be some marvelous sketches of some halo for=
erunner buildings.<br><br>Now, I and many others, who have clicked on the i=
mages and&nbsp; were crushed to see that the image does not come in a wallp=
aper format.<br><br>So, We're wondering If you could perhaps make the pictu=
res, especially the first one, in a larger format, wallpaper usage in other=
words.<br><br>We will thank you a lot and let you join our buddy club.<br>=
<br>Sincerely,<br>-Alwin Roth<br><br><br></td></tr></table><br>=0A=0A=0A=0A=

--0-655340533-1253417787=:30053--

Botolf
September 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Sort of in the vein of that "Neanderthals and Cro-magnons mating" theory, this is a "Forerunners and Manchimps mating" theory.

Basically, Forerunners spliced their genetics with a human ancestor 100,000+ years ago, and the resultant new species that would become modern humans reseeded Earth. So humans are basically half-breeds, they have enough genetic similarity to the Forerunners to use their installations and machinery, but they have never shared the Forerunner's larger gene pool and we were shaped more by our large amount of primate DNA.

This explains why humans and Forerunners have divergent features, such as the drastically different hand structures and what have you (Our hands are different because we got that from our Primate ancestry, not our Forerunner ancestry). Perhaps this happened several million years ago, after our ancient ancestor split with the chimpanzees.

English Mobster
September 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
I say it happened on the Ark.
Who knows how long they were on that damn thing after Installation 04 fired. They may have interbred with each other until there were no "pure" Forerunner or humans left, and the resulting half-breed is modern humans.

It would explain why there are no Forerunners on any of the shield installations; they went there, but they bred with us to the point where we had stopped being 2 different species and instead became 1.

UnevenElefant5
September 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I always believed that humans were directly descended from Forerunners, who decided to save part of their race before firing the Halo rings and so put some of their civilization on Earth.

English Mobster
September 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM
HOWEVER:
Earth is in range of the Installations. So putting them on Earth wouldn't help any.

Kornman00
September 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Which is why they put the Ark's portal on Earth. So when everything calmed down, they could just have scotty beam them back and start making babies to repopulate the universe :downs:

Tristrum
October 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
This is a tricky one i remember the first monitoir on halo 1 calling the master chief a reclaimer which would suggest that the forerunner's did infact find the humans and decided to leave the humans all there technology but at the same time they could be descendants which is supported by mendicant bias "FOR EONS I HAVE WATCHED. LISTENED TO YOU MISINTERPRET. THIS IS NOT RECLAMATION. THIS IS RECLAIMER." After those words, the glyphs in the report were shown and they began to transform shape until a crude image of a human appeared. The Oracle adds, "AND THOSE IT REPRESENTS ARE MY MAKERS. I WILL REJECT MY BIAS AND WILL MAKE AMENDS. MY MAKERS ARE MY MASTERS. I WILL BRING THEM SAFELY TO THE ARK" ( takeing from the bellow link)

More information in THIS LINK (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Humans) just scroll down to the part bout the connection between forerunners and humans

TeeKup
October 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
As I said before, you cannot entirely trust guilty spark OR mendicant bias for that matter. Both are fully sentient AI yes, but they are still machines. Machines memory can be manipulated and corrupted.

The most likely explanation is that we are the chosen descendants of the Forerunners. We are the inheritors of the Mantle Guardianship.

=sw=warlord
October 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
As I said before, you cannot entirely trust guilty spark OR mendicant bias for that matter. Both are fully sentient AI yes, but they are still machines. Machines memory can be manipulated and corrupted.

The most likely explanation is that we are the chosen descendants of the Forerunners. We are the inheritors of the Mantle Guardianship.
It may well be they were a another sub species of human or akin to human and because of that they knew one day homo sapians would evolve enough to understand what has happened.
But by that time everyone who knew would be dead along with the flood, by their hopes anyways.
My question is how did the flood survive for 10k years without any food supply?
Even a tortoise which has a incredibly slow metabolism can only live for around 160 years if memory serves me right.
I personaly think forerunners were a sub species of human which would explain alot of things.
Another question is what guilty spark said in halo 1.
"Last time you asked me, would i do it? having considerable time to ponder your query my answer has not changed, we must activate the ring"

TeeKup
October 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
It may well be they were a another sub species of human or akin to human and because of that they knew one day homo sapians would evolve enough to understand what has happened.
But by that time everyone who knew would be dead along with the flood, by their hopes anyways.
My question is how did the flood survive for 10k years without any food supply?
Even a tortoise which has a incredibly slow metabolism can only live for around 160 years if memory serves me right.
I personaly think forerunners were a sub species of human which would explain alot of things.
Another question is what guilty spark said in halo 1.
"Last time you asked me, would i do it? having considerable time to ponder your query my answer has not changed, we must activate the ring"

Your theory has a good basis. Why would an advanced AI like Guilty Spark, even despite his rampancy, confuse the master chief with Didact? I personally don't know. Perhaps even farther back the Precursor engineered all of this.

And as for the flood you must remember one crucial fact. It was explained that the flood is extra-galactic, meaning it has the ability to travel between galaxies.

The Flood exists in a fairly stable state in the absence of a Gravemind. They lack the ability to spawn spontaneously and form around sentient life forms, specifically those that are self-aware and capable of introspection. This stage of a Flood outbreak is known as the Feral Stage.

During its Feral Stage, the Flood is only capable of local coordination through use of pheromone-based communication. Research indicates that the content of said messages are of very limited complexity. Individual Combat and Carrier Forms have access to the skills and memories of their host; however, once an outbreak establishes a viable Gravemind, the Coordinated Stage begins—and it is at this point the Flood becomes truly dangerous.

Delta4907
October 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
If the rings were supposed to kill all sentient life, the flood's food, so they would starve, how did the flood that was on Installation 04 survive for 100,000 years without food, locked up inside those prisons? Or do infection forms not need to eat to survive?

=sw=warlord
October 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
If the rings were supposed to kill all sentient life, the flood's food, so they would starve, how did the flood that was on Installation 04 survive for 100,000 years without food, locked up inside those prisons? Or do infection forms not need to eat to survive?
Thats my point.
Unless the flood have some kind of system like photosynthesis they would need nurishment at some point.

TeeKup
October 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Please read my edit. :|

=sw=warlord
October 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Please read my edit. :|
Even with rampancy aside, what he says must come from some where.
Remember there is a stage after rampancy as mendicant bias clearly shows.

TeeKup
October 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Mendicant Bias was was also fragmented when he made that declaration inside the Key ship, ergo data corruption. :|

Bias became whole again when the Key ship returned to the Ark. :|

Then again, during their final hours, the Forerunner may have signified Humanity as the same status as theirs for all of their constructs. Mendicant Bias may have received this new status change as he was being deconstructed and observed by Offensive Bias.

Regardless, in the end Mendicant Bias achieved redemption, his status is now of Meta-Stability, a fully conscious sentient being.

Hunter
October 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Did Bungie design any Forerunner vehicles or weapons? Apart from the sentinel beam.

=sw=warlord
October 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Did Bungie design any Forerunner vehicles or weapons? Apart from the sentinel beam.
Forerunner key ship.

Hunter
October 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Is that it? Anything else? Lol.

=sw=warlord
October 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Is that it? Anything else? Lol.
Not really, most of their tech has been show cased in their buildings or ai not really shown any vehicles.
theres a picture in your warthog thread which shows a forerunner vehicle as shown by the forerunner eske hologram.

Hunter
October 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
This?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/1/1e/Aardvarck.jpg

=sw=warlord
October 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
This?

Yes

Hunter
October 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
:( That's disappointing. Its horrible... Such a boring shape ect.. only thing I like on it is the yellow glass.

TeeKup
October 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I don't like a damn thing about it.

I've always imagined Forerunner ground vehicles to use anti-grav/repulsor technology.

Sever
October 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Fuck that even. I've always imagined that Forerunners were above basic vehicular ground travel. Look at every single piece of traveling Forerunner technology, and find something that doesn't float or use rails (Both physical and energy).

=sw=warlord
October 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Fuck that even. I've always imagined that Forerunners were above basic vehicular ground travel. Look at every single piece of traveling Forerunner technology, and find something that doesn't float or use rails (Both physical and energy).
The forerunners had to use ground vehicles at some point.

Hunter
October 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I was thinking of crazy pulse weapons ect... and not some turtle shape thing... :/

Sever
October 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
The forerunners had to use ground vehicles at some point.Says who? The way I see it, the Forerunners' vast intellect was bestowed upon them by the Precursors through accelerated evolution, and thus cut out many ages in their development as a race, and thus allowing them to speed through and even skip certain degrees of technological advancement.
The Precursors were mentioned in the Bestiarum as the race preceding and mythologized by the Forerunner, being theoretical "Trans-sentient" beings, having the ability to travel among galaxies and accelerate the evolution of intelligent life. The Precursors achieved a higher level technological advancement than the Forerunner, being Tier 0, or (Trans-sentience) on the Forerunners' Technological Achievement Scale.

paladin
October 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
What is that?

English Mobster
October 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
What is what?

Pooky
October 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Your theory has a good basis. Why would an advanced AI like Guilty Spark, even despite his rampancy, confuse the master chief with Didact? I personally don't know.

Easy, his statement was referring to the Forerunners/humanity on a whole, not one specific entity.

Arteen
October 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
This?
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/1/1e/Aardvarck.jpg
Wow, it's adorable! Also, wtf is it and where did it come from?

Lateksi
October 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
It's from the canned (thank god) Ensemble Studios' Halo MMO.