PDA

View Full Version : Spartans! What is your profession!

PopeAK49
September 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
So I decided to make a thread about what you guys plan on doing for a profession in the future. Just interested to see the variety of things people plan on doing. Even though, I think a lot of people here want a profession based on computer tech and software.

As for me. I plan on getting a degree in biology and becoming a Herpetologist. The reason why is because I love reptiles and Amphibians. To me, they are the coolest creatures on this planet. I would probably end up having a huge collection of reptiles and amphibians living in terriums in my home, possibly even breed and sell them.

Although this seems unlikely; having my own T.V show on animal planet would be sick.

Jean-Luc
September 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Currently working towards becoming a 3D character animator, writer, creator of my own IP, and potential voice actor.

Also considering (once I get the money to do it) becoming a hobbyist stormchaser.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Probably a voice actor of some kind, a game dev, or a sniper.

PopeAK49
September 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Currently working towards becoming a 3D character animator, writer, creator of my own IP, and potential voice actor.

Voice acting would be really cool. Maybe you can be the next master chief voice for halo 15. :realsmug:

I was always thinking of being a sniper if I was ever forced to join the military. Hell, I'll probably end up buying a sniper rifle just to shoot targets.

Jean-Luc
September 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'd never accept that job :mech:

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'd be the voice actor for the scout in Team fortress 3 (or 4, lol)

Needles
September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
A dentist..

UnevenElefant5
September 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
3D Modeller/Animator

Rob Oplawar
September 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Software Engineer. That's what it says on my business card. :snafubar:

e: Also, doesn't this belong in the new Community forum?

PopeAK49
September 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't even think about the community forums. :saddowns:

A dentist..

You seem like you feel ashamed of it. Don't be. As long as you don't say that you're a doctor then things will be fine.

Heathen
September 23rd, 2009, 08:34 PM

Pyong should totally be a voice actor.

legionaire45
September 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Computer Scientist aka Code Monkey. Possible with implications in piracy on the high seas.

(if I get hired by Bungie)
(yeah right)
(Valve would be nice too)
(hahahahah)

sdavis117
September 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
IT manager, Creative Writer, or programmer.

Or all of the above.

Timo
September 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Currently on my way to be a Mechanical/Civil Engineer - not sure what one I want to go into just yet.

flibitijibibo
September 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
On my way to be an audio engineer/sound designer. Will probably start in film, then work my way to games.

Pyong Kawaguchi
September 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
For those who have heard me before actually doing imitations and such, I sound quite good, when my mic broke the people in my gmod server were sad because my comedic entertainment was gone.

n00b1n8R
September 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Currently on my way to be a Mechanical/Civil Engineer - not sure what one I want to go into just yet.
Mechanical/Electrical for me \http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-toot.gif

mech
September 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Mechanical Engineering

I plan on developing weapons.

Mass
September 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
architect

PopeAK49
September 24th, 2009, 01:06 AM
architect

You going to build forerunner structures on this here planet? :realsmug:

Cagerrin
September 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
You going to build forerunner structures on this here planet? :realsmug:
The laws of physics would like to have a word with him.

Professional lazybones. Or failing that, something involving 3D stuff. Drafting, game design, etc....

annihilation
September 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Theres a list of stuff.

Mechanic/buisnes owner/game developer/lawyer/surgeon/destroyer of worlds........

That's a lot of school.........

klange
September 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Software engineer, as I've been my entire life.

PopeAK49
September 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Lots of people want to be engineers these days. I guess it has a lot to do with the money. Although, it must have some enjoyable aspects to it.

Cagerrin
September 24th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I really don't get engineering at all. Mostly because the laws of physics are such a pain in the butt.

Although I learned that building mecha rather than bridges, they're still BAD THINGS.

king_nothing_
September 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Poker player.

:realsmug:

flibitijibibo
September 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I have a hard time taking engineering majors seriously sometimes. Not that the field is bullshit or anything, it's just the people who declare that major. I can't tell you how many times I would hear someone say they were going into engineering, then say seconds later that they hate math.

I know money can make people stupid, but damn. I feel bad for you guys who actually know what the fuck engineering is.

rossmum
September 24th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Part-time Infantry rifleman. Might go full-time eventually.

tHaPuPpEtMaStEr
September 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM
currently double majoring in biochemistry and animal behaviour, gonna fuck around with shit after a long period of studyin

blind
September 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
bum

n00b1n8R
September 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I really don't get engineering at all. Mostly because the laws of physics are such a pain in the butt.
:realsmug:

Cojafoji
September 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
tech support for now.
floating tech support soon.
network admin a little farther down.

Siliconmaster
September 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm a film major, hoping to go into either cinematography or editing. I liked going both.

Needles
September 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I didn't even think about the community forums. :saddowns:

You seem like you feel ashamed of it. Don't be. As long as you don't say that you're a doctor then things will be fine.

Not ashamed =P.

Just seemed a little out of place atm =P

Alwin Roth
September 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I want to become a Dentist...

PopeAK49
September 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I'm still waiting for someone wanting to be a crab spy.

Cortexian
September 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Those of you that want to be "snipers", you know it's absolutely nothing like the movies, games, or other media they're depicted in. 99% of the time you never even fire a weapon, you crawl through shit, live in shit, and generally work in horrible conditions doing nothing but watch shit happen and relay that information back to whomever... Be a long rifleman in the infantry if you want something like the movies make snipers out to be.

I'm going to join the Canadian Forces Reserves as a Light Armored Soldier, then possibly move to Infantry Reserves, and then possibly to some full time position.

p0lar_bear
September 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Looking for something IT, or possibly a web developer. vOv

Rentafence
September 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Chemistry. I want a lab coat.

rossmum
September 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Those of you that want to be "snipers", you know it's absolutely nothing like the movies, games, or other media they're depicted in. 99% of the time you never even fire a weapon, you crawl through shit, live in shit, and generally work in horrible conditions doing nothing but watch shit happen and relay that information back to whomever... Be a long rifleman in the infantry if you want something like the movies make snipers out to be.

I'm going to join the Canadian Forces Reserves as a Light Armored Soldier, then possibly move to Infantry Reserves, and then possibly to some full time position.
No shit, Sherlock.

Creeping around the arse end of nowhere and living off ratpacks and/or whatever else I can find is one of the few things I'm suited to, though. I'm good at not being seen, I'm perfectly content to wait for hours for something to happen, relay the info, then not have a shot, and that kind of thing actually appeals to me. Definitely something I want to look into if I go full-time.

Ifafudafi
September 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
hurf all you kids still looking for a job

As if I haven't flaunted it enough, I'm currently a full-time 8th grade English teacher. Painful, certainly, but I actually enjoy it most of the time.

Bodzilla
September 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM
YOU BASTARD! for a minute i thought there was gunna be a sequel to the greatest movie ever :smithicide:

Warsaw
September 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM
hurf all you kids still looking for a job

As if I haven't flaunted it enough, I'm currently a full-time 8th grade English teacher. Painful, certainly, but I actually enjoy it most of the time.

At least it's for one of the useful English classes...all of them after 9th grade are pretty pointless. :v:

Me, I'm studying to be an engineer (mechanical or electrical, I haven't decided), though I'm not sure I want to go into engineering as a profession.

PopeAK49
September 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Damn! I wanted to shoot my sniper at people with my shiny green armor. I still plan on getting a 50 cal in the future. :realsmug:

Ganon
September 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
robot

NuggetWarmer
September 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
First choice: Game dev. Probably character or environment artist.
Second choice: Movie/play writer.
After I retire: Own a small vintage game resale shop.

and as a hobby: Wartime memorabilia collector and stormchaser as Jean said.

PopeAK49
September 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I almost forgot about retirement. I think I will move back to Alaska, live in a beautiful cabin, and have a beautiful malamute.

Corndogman
September 24th, 2009, 10:55 PM
And a beautiful 22 year old wife :realsmug:

legionaire45
September 24th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Another thing I didn't touch upon up there - math.

If I can't get anything game related, I wouldn't mind maybe doing something related to cryptography or physics as long as it deals with computers.

And hacking.

And making games with controllers.

n00b1n8R
September 25th, 2009, 02:06 AM
No shit, Sherlock.

Creeping around the arse end of nowhere and living off ratpacks and/or whatever else I can find is one of the few things I'm suited to, though. I'm good at not being seen, I'm perfectly content to wait for hours for something to happen, relay the info, then not have a shot, and that kind of thing actually appeals to me. Definitely something I want to look into if I go full-time.
This is how the man tries to plays every videogame.
Even tf2. :v:

rossmum
September 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I won't deny it

Cortexian
September 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM
No shit, Sherlock.

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the other 3 or 4 people that said they wanted to be "snipers". I know you actually know what you're talking about.

rossmum
September 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Well, I strongly doubt the Army would let them blunder in with the 'this, this, or maybe a special forces sniper' attitude. We had everything explained to us in great detail on enlistment day; the W/O overseeing made damn sure that everyone did it knowing what they were in for. The people who think that the Army is a universal fallback with regards to actually getting a job and becoming independent, but don't actually have the drive or mentality, get weeded out pretty quick smart.

Cortexian
September 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, I know. I'm in the process of joining. You can't even apply to any branch of Canada's special forces units without a minimum of three years previous service and a few tours under your belt.

Are you in as an officer or what?

rossmum
September 25th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Nope. My parents suggested it, but I'd rather work my way up from the bottom.

Bodzilla
September 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'm a cabinet maker/ shop fitter apprentice.

i build shit like this,
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/bodzilla_1/IMG_3510.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/bodzilla_1/IMG_3504.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/bodzilla_1/IMG_3508.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/bodzilla_1/IMG_3506.jpg

and make it look like this.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/complete_kitchen_guide/kitchen1.gif
http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/g/0608-reader_kitchen/reader_kitchen01.jpg

oh and protip fellas if you EVER get a kitchen done, get touch sensitive downlights fitted to the bottom of your kitchen top cupboards. Cheap as fuck to do and they will make your kitchen look a thousand times better.
they're brilliant.

I do this in my spare time
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/bodzilla_1/DSCF0390.jpg

But i want to become an au pair and live in america for a year doing child care.
been saving since the start of the year, i just need to finish my apprenticeship and then do some after school child care to show competence, then i can do it :)

rossmum
September 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
You? In charge of someone else's kids?

For some reason the words 'recipe for disaster' keep flashing in my mind...

paladin
September 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM
3D Environment Artist. My degree is Bachelors of Arts in Production Animation.

Sanctus
September 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I have a hard time taking engineering majors seriously sometimes. Not that the field is bullshit or anything, it's just the people who declare that major. I can't tell you how many times I would hear someone say they were going into engineering, then say seconds later that they hate math.

I know money can make people stupid, but damn. I feel bad for you guys who actually know what the fuck engineering is.

I want to be a Mechanical Engineer/Business owner with Teekie.
I actually like math too, Flib :D

I plan on developing future gen aircraft engines and cleaner technology in many fields. Robots too :)

Spartan094
September 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Army or Air force after 4 year degree in college. I like flying hence my last name. But yea...

Dwood
September 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM
With so many people responding positive to joining the military, I wonder why there weren't more who polled "yes" on my Military thread last month.

Idk what I'll be, lol. I know someone who used to be the Navy Seals so I was thinking about that but I'm not sure that I'd be allowed to join.

Anyways, I think I'll be the guy who directs the Art for the Glenn Becks books.

r5AI8L_AgaE

:itisawesome:

TeeKup
September 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I want to be a Mechanical Engineer/Business owner with Teekie.
I actually like math too, Flib :D

I plan on developing future gen aircraft engines and cleaner technology in many fields. Robots too :)

Mechanical Engineering and Design. There are far too many inefficient things we use in our daily lives, hopefully we plan to change that someday.

MetKiller Joe
September 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Production Manager of a game or anybody that would be overseeing the programming and the art side. <- this mostly for the money; I'm guessing that the more things one has responsibility for the more one gets paid.

3D Environmental Artist.

Graphics Engine Programmer (will be learning OpenGL for a small project in the future).

Corgy
September 26th, 2009, 07:03 AM
currently double majoring in biochemistry and animal behaviour, gonna fuck around with shit after a long period of studyin
What a coincidence, me too!

You must be ridiculously intelligent.

Varmint260
September 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've got a year's pre-app for becoming a Heavy-Duty Mechanic, and I really want to do it. Spent that year working on big rigs, dozers, skidders, skid-steers, pickups, and all that awesome stuff. I like working with my hands and with tools. However, there's not a lot of work out there for apprentice mechanics, hence I haven't been able to get a job in the year and a bit since I finished the foundation course. But I'm gonna keep trying!

'Course, I just about got hired to CFB Wainwright as a civilian HD Mechanic apprentice, but they decided to change their apprenticeship job classifications and instead of paying $16.56/hr to start, they cut it down to 12. I'm already making $12.96 an hour as a labourer for Public Works, and I ain't movin' all the way to Alberta for less money in order to pay rent and food and utilities... sorry, [/endrant].

killer9856
September 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
3D Environmental Artist, Photographer, maybe become part of a local band. For a side job, I would be a writer or doing other forms of art, maybe sculptures or portraits

neuro
September 27th, 2009, 03:38 AM
i already am a 3d artist working in the games industry.

not really sure what i've got for future ambitions, besides 'getting better wat what i do' propably have my own studio at some point.

t3h m00kz
September 27th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I don't even know what I'm gonna do. I've got to get the fuck out of fast food, for sure. I need to get into college (gonna be a late start.. 22 next march :saddowns:) I'm thinking something in arts or animation. Game related or not. I love that kind of stuff.

For now I'm just tinkering around with various game engines because it's fun as hell and I love stuff like TCs and Ports.