PDA

View Full Version : Warthogs Engine

paladin
September 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
500 years from now im sure they use an alternated fuel source, but if one were to exit today, much like Weta's would it have a diesel or unleaded engine. Realistically speaking. What does your typical hmmwvs run?

Bodzilla
September 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
hopes and dreams.

:wtc is this thread seriously:

rossmum
September 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
From what I recall the Hog has hydrogen fuel cells powering electric motors on each axle

TeeKup
September 25th, 2009, 10:14 PM
From what I recall the Hog has hydrogen fuel cells powering electric motors on each axle

The M12 is a four wheel all-terrain vehicle capable of going over any obstacle without difficulty; under the hood the M12's power is generated by a forward-housed low-profile liquid-cooled hydrogen-injected ICE I/C plant, coupled with an automatic infinitely variable transmission (IVT). The hydrogen fuel is burned at very high temperature with a synthetic carbon/silicon catalyst to achieve even better fuel consumption. This hydrogen engine is the standard among all UNSC ground based vehicles, replacing fossil fuel based engines some 400 years ago. The M12 features a Graf/Hauptman solar/saline actuator, and will convert up to 12 liters of fresh, brackish or salt water into hydrogen on the fly, this allows the Warthog to travel 790 kilometers or 490 miles before it needs to be refueled. Detritus is compacted on board.

Interesting technology.

paladin
September 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Way to read guys. Hypothetically speaking, if me and 3 other engineering students were designing and trying tobuilding one, would a diesel or unleaded engine be more accurate. Obviously a what teekup post is out of the question.

Cojafoji
September 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM
diesel hands down. much more solid engine, and the fuel type is easier to produce. yeah, i'm pretty drunk, but i stand by that comment.

n00b1n8R
September 26th, 2009, 02:47 AM
You're the engineering students vOv

Whatever would provide the most effecient power obviously, the UNSC wouldn't just go for one because it's closer to what they usually use. :downs:

=sw=warlord
September 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Your best bet is for a hybrid system that has both electric and diesel being used.
Hybrid car's have been out for some time so i doubt you would find much trouble trying to find a engine in the local scrap yard that has a hybrid engine.

Ganon
September 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
diesel

Varmint260
September 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Howsabout like a diesel/electric locomotive, with a diesel engine powering an electric generator and then have that electricity going to a motor at each wheel? Yeah, never mind. Even WETA's warthog doesn't have individual wheel pods, I'm pretty sure it has axles.

In the end, I'd go for diesel. And also, from TeeKup's post, the warthog has an infintely varying transmission and I recently read a Diesel Power magazine that showed off the Allison IVT, so the technology for the transmission is out there, at least.

kid908
September 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
why can't you have one that runs on :airquote:IMAGINATION:airquote:

ok in all seriousness, Diesel would be convenient, but you can get yourself a hydrogen fuel cell and go for what is described by TeeKup.

paladin
September 27th, 2009, 02:52 AM
We found a Cummins Turbo Diesel from a 1994 Dodge Ram. 5.9L, 160-180HP. 110,000 miles. $1700

neuro
September 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
it would run on a dark matter reactor ofcourse!

Cortexian
September 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
it would run on a dark matter reactor ofcourse!
Get yourselves a large hadron collider, make it smaller, put it in the front of your hog, and run it off of black holes.

Cojafoji
September 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Get yourselves a large hadron collider, make it smaller, put it in the front of your hog, and run it off of black holes.
I'm going to cut you.

Cortexian
September 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'm going to cut you.
:smith:

=sw=warlord
September 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'm going to cut you.
Il give you his arm to cut because im going to dissect him limb by limb.

Double_Clawshots
September 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Way to read guys. Hypothetically speaking, if me and 3 other engineering students were designing and trying tobuilding one, would a diesel or unleaded engine be more accurate. Obviously a what teekup post is out of the question.
MAKE IT POWERED BY KITTENS!! no, i think a diesel engine would be more practical in that situation. diesel engines are a lot more durable and powerful than gasoline and are usually used in most of the military's vehicles, anyway. hell, im sure you could take an old humvee and just modify the body and have a warthog.

paladin
September 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM
We bought the engine on Saturday. Runs like a champhog ;)

EX12693
September 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Wow, man. No diesel/electric. Hydrogen/electric, and you've got it right. Can't diesel engines run off of... anything? (hydrogen)

Warsaw
September 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
No, hence the "diesel" in "diesel engine." What you are thinking of is a gas turbine, which can pretty much run off of anything combustible. They are, however, inefficient at low speeds because they need to be running at high RPMs.

Varmint260
September 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
We found a Cummins Turbo Diesel from a 1994 Dodge Ram. 5.9L, 160-180HP. 110,000 miles. $1700

Friend of my Dad's has a 1997 RAM with the 5.9L Cummins, about 80,000 miles. Has an aftermarket cam plate and a 5 1/2" exhaust pipe. Thing sounds indistinguishable from the 500-horse Cummins that they have in the big rigs.

One thing that'll make it easier for you is that it wasn't until 1998 that they went for electronic fuel injection; simpler is probably better, right?

Do you have pictures of the project in its current state? I'm quite interested now.

paladin
September 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Nope, probably never will :realsmug: