PDA

View Full Version : pyf musical years and why (not a few songs you like and 2 lines of justification)

rossmum
September 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
1960-1995.

Seriously. Those three and a half decades were, as far as I care, the absolute peak of musical history. They never have been and never will be bested. I like some modern music, but I honestly think there's something wrong with a world where music like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siqrnVnTSUY) is considered 'crappy old stuff' and the stuff on the radio sounds monotonous, with the exception of the few bands who have braved the years and are still turning out their own music. It makes me sad inside knowing it'll never be anywhere near as good again. I can't listen to it without feeling a barely-resistable urge to get on the table and belt it out as loud as i can for hours on end, and if I had the house to myself I sure as hell would.

Let's get a discussion going, kiddies. A proper one. This forum could use more.

Jean-Luc
September 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Ah, good to know I'm not alone as an aficionado of the golden age of music. 95% of my favorite artists are from pre-1990s. 4% is comprised of the increasingly rare selection of modern artists who attempt to think outside the box, and the final 1% are a few modern artists who I'm okay with (David Cook for example).

When it comes down to it though, the modern artists just don't compare to AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Mark Knopfler, Sting, Eric Clapton, Frank Sinatra (Yes, I'm a jazzfag), Steppenwolf, Harry Belafonte, etc. Older music actually feels like music to me. The lyrics are well written, the instruments all have a place (rather than just the blend of guitars we have today), there were guitar solos that didn't suck, and a lot of the performers had great stage presence.

rossmum
September 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah. And they give you that urge to sing along, no matter where you are, what time it is, or whether you're pissed or not.

Jean-Luc
September 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I actually found myself singing along to "Hungry Like the Wolf" earlier this morning :p

rossmum
September 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If it wasn't 3 AM everyone within earshot would be listening to Yesterday's Hero as well, it's been too long since I last heard this song so I'm catching up tonight

e/ holy shit listening to a friend jam over Vent, he is insane with a guitar

flibitijibibo
September 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Romantic era, 19th century. After the goofy sounding baroque era, and before the 20th century bullshit (Frank Ticheli, your music sucks a million dicks). Though, I do really like some of the orchestral stuff that's been done in the last 10 years or so. Would that count as 21st century classical music? I don't want to say contemporary, that's going a bit too far back.

king_nothing_
September 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
1956 - 1977

From Elvis to the end of the best part of classic rock.

EDIT: Actually those aren't my absolute favorite years, they're just the ones I think are the most culturally significant. My favorite years would be more like 1963 - 1977, which is basically Bob Dylan/Beatles to the end of the best of classic rock.

thehoodedsmack
September 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
50s had the wonderful works of Sinatra, Martin, Como, Cole, etc.

60s and 70s had some great "hippy crap". Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Rolling Stones, that sort of thing.

80s I wasn't too big on, but it did have its moments.

90s was awesome. So upbeat, so lively, especially that third-wave ska crap that got popular up here. American summers with a trumpet beat. It also gave birth to modern gangster-rap, which frankly, I feel should have suffered from SIDS. But the early stuff was great. Actually, everything was a lot cooler when Clinton was in charge...

Anyways, I pretty much agree with Ross.

king_nothing_
September 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
80s I wasn't too big on, but it did have its moments.
I pretty much agree with this. There were definitely some good things to come out of the decade, but there was so much popular stuff which was just terrible. I don't really like the decade as a whole.

Rosco
September 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
The Beatles rape and still do, thank god Oasis have some sense, even if they are the rolling stones of their time.

Alwin Roth
September 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Beatles and Enya.

Varmint260
September 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Both Rossmum and Jean-Luc's first posts in this thread are pretty damn close to my musical tastes. There are a few artists I liked from the 90s, and a very few in the 2000s. Most of my favourite stuff is definitely 60s, 70s and 80s rock. I'm sure people think I'm strange when they see me drive past, singing at the top of my lungs to rock'n'roll. No other music drives me to sing like that, and I feel no compulsion to play any other kind of music on my guitar.

rossmum
September 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I was grabbing a lift to the shops with my housemate about a year ago when a done-up Commodore SS pulled up next to us at the lights; I could hear something going doof-doof and the driver looked to be no older than 25, so obviously I couldn't help cringing as I saw his window start to come down...

It was Fortunate Son. I'm not sure how long it took for the look of absolute shock to pass, but that dude owned.

Kolobus
September 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I don't follow years so much as the sound of the music. I don't think you can point to a decade and say music was best then since there have been a lot of greats in every decade.

Eleven
September 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM
This whole "baww music is dead fuk da mainstream" attitude is pretty annoying, to be honest. Not to say that everyone in this thread is thinking exactly along those lines, but it seems to show in a few posts.

Just because you don't enjoy whatever happens to be playing on the radio at the moment (and I will admit, most of it really is shit) doesn't mean that every piece of music written in the past 10 years is just as bad. Frankly, if that is your mindset, you're being extremely narrow-minded. If you want to find some good music, you're going to have to look for it. Although, if you're content to listen to the same decades-old music repeatedly, that's your prerogative - I'm in no position to dictate what it is you can and can't listen to.

In all honesty, I couldn't listen to the majority of the music posted in this thread for any more than a few minutes. I really dislike most of the musicians Jean Luc mentioned. That stuff is still just as much "pop music" as the stuff you seem to detest, in my opinion. Yet you mightn't like the music that I like, and that's cool - good music is entirely subjective.

I don't believe there was, is, or ever will be a "golden age" for music. Good tunes are being written and recorded every day - you just have to look for them. Opening up to forms of music that you mightn't usually listen to is always great as well, you never know what you might find. ;)

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Good music will always be there.

Bodzilla
September 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
the music these people like and are posting was delved from within a musicians soul as an expression of themself and they're perception of the world.

it was drawn with a pen, not a mouse and a program.

that is why people prefer this stuff. Because it's not produced, it's crafted.

rossmum
September 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM
This whole "baww music is dead fuk da mainstream" attitude is pretty annoying, to be honest. Not to say that everyone in this thread is thinking exactly along those lines, but it seems to show in a few posts.

Just because you don't enjoy whatever happens to be playing on the radio at the moment (and I will admit, most of it really is shit) doesn't mean that every piece of music written in the past 10 years is just as bad. Frankly, if that is your mindset, you're being extremely narrow-minded. If you want to find some good music, you're going to have to look for it. Although, if you're content to listen to the same decades-old music repeatedly, that's your prerogative - I'm in no position to dictate what it is you can and can't listen to.

In all honesty, I couldn't listen to the majority of the music posted in this thread for any more than a few minutes. I really dislike most of the musicians Jean Luc mentioned. That stuff is still just as much "pop music" as the stuff you seem to detest, in my opinion. Yet you mightn't like the music that I like, and that's cool - good music is entirely subjective.

I don't believe there was, is, or ever will be a "golden age" for music. Good tunes are being written and recorded every day - you just have to look for them. Opening up to forms of music that you mightn't usually listen to is always great as well, you never know what you might find. ;)

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Good music will always be there.
Yeah, except it has fuck all to do with whether it is/was mainstream or not. It's to do with the fact that back then it made no difference what stream it was, it was good.

Eleven
September 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
What I'm trying to say is that music is still good. The quality of music hasn't degraded in the slightest, in my honest opinion. Where good music exists, there's bound to be some shitty music as well, but that could be said for any era. There's a shitload of relatively new music that I think is great, and it's good to see musicians that are still coming up with interesting new tunes. Most older music doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I never could get into Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin or any of those earlier rock outfits. Yet although I can't stand the music, I'm definitely not going to deny their influence on music as we know it today.

Anyway, I have a feeling that I'm getting a little off topic~

it was drawn with a pen, not a mouse and a program.

Not sure if that's a blatant crack at electronic music, or the ridiculous over-production of some of today's poppy bullshit. Should you be against audio engineering so excessive that a recording of a retarded crow could be made to sound like Britney Spears (:haw:), then I'll agree. However, if it is you openly detesting electronic music, I highly suggest you listen to some more - some of the nicest music I've heard was made using a "mouse and a program".

e: directed at rossmum/bodzilla

FRain
September 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have two.

First, 1930ish to 1950. Jazz. I am a jazzfag as well. Count Basie, Neal Hefti and so many others that composed amazing songs in that time.

Also, the classic rock era of 1970s to 1990s. AC/DC, Guns N Roses and others the like. Oh man do I love it.

rossmum
September 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
e: directed at rossmum/bodzilla
Whether there's still good music around or not is irrelevant. The issue is how much effort it takes to find it. For me at least, back in the 70s that would've been negligible. Now, I'd be lucky to hear a new song I actually like more than once a week or even once a month, and I consider that a problem.

As for Zilla's post, it's more the love that goes into it than how it was made, really. I think I get your (@ Zilla) point though - the way most pop songs sound the same, it's like there's some kind of algorithm with which to compose generic shitty music. The stuff I like is the stuff that was carefully written not to sound like every other song out there, maybe not even to sound catchy, but to sound good. I can't tell most pop groups from their peers, but I can easily pick up on which classic rock band I'm listening to by the feel of their music.

Eleven
September 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I don't think it takes all that much effort at to find new, good music, tbh. With sites like Youtube, I'm finding great music all the time, although the music I like could be (and probably is) entirely different from the music that you like. Although I suppose that if you're looking for 60's - 80's rock in today's music scene, you probably aren't going to find to it; while there may be a few bands that strive to create that sort of music, that era seems to have come to a close (or I could be entirely wrong, I'm not really into that sort of thing). That's music, though - it's in a constant state of change, and you can't expect to stay still for too long.

CrAsHOvErRide
September 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
My music is modern and is awesome.

If you play guitar you know what I mean \m/

rossmum
September 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I don't think it takes all that much effort at to find new, good music, tbh. With sites like Youtube, I'm finding great music all the time, although the music I like could be (and probably is) entirely different from the music that you like. Although I suppose that if you're looking for 60's - 80's rock in today's music scene, you probably aren't going to find to it; while there may be a few bands that strive to create that sort of music, that era seems to have come to a close (or I could be entirely wrong, I'm not really into that sort of thing). That's music, though - it's in a constant state of change, and you can't expect to stay still for too long.
I'm not looking for that, although it's a plus when done well. As I said, I like things which are well-written and just sound nice, or which remind me of things (I've been known to go well outside my usual taste in music on the latter); most of the easily-accessible stuff these days doesn't even come close to fulfilling the former, and only rarely does it fulfill the latter enough to make me give a shit. Friends introduce me to bands I've never heard of yet end up liking every now and then, but at the end of the day I'm not the omiscient internet being some people think I must be; the only time I get to hear music other than what I already know and love is when I'm stuck on the train with someone who thinks everyone else ought to hear what they're listening to, or when I'm getting a lift with someone.

blind
September 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
2001–2006
dfa1979~

Needles
September 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
The 1980s...
Big Four of thrash metal, plus pantera and ministry all started their early stuff.

Bodzilla
October 1st, 2009, 02:48 AM
, or the ridiculous over-production of some of today's poppy bullshit. Should you be against audio engineering so excessive that a recording of a retarded crow could be made to sound like Britney Spears (:haw:), then I'll agree.]
bingo.

As for Zilla's post, it's more the love that goes into it than how it was made, really. I think I get your (@ Zilla) point though - the way most pop songs sound the same, it's like there's some kind of algorithm with which to compose generic shitty music. The stuff I like is the stuff that was carefully written not to sound like every other song out there, maybe not even to sound catchy, but to sound good. I can't tell most pop groups from their peers, but I can easily pick up on which classic rock band I'm listening to by the feel of their music.
there is one ross, it's scary how alike every pop song is when you break it down.
no this isn't from a personal point of view this is after you break it down and compare it.

Korn do a rather dam good video on it, on the popular music formula and it's music monopoly's
RHU825I_x_I

Cojafoji
October 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Interjection:
Anyone who lives and dies by the Beatles or Nirvana is a tool.
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9366/10847331245176248trollf.jpg