PDA

View Full Version : Breaking a social norm

ChemicalFizz
September 29th, 2009, 02:47 AM
There are classic examples such as boarding public transportation like a metro bus or train, and asking a person "May I please have your seat?" while there are still a bunch of empty seats around. Another one is the elevator scenario, where you stand facing the back of the elevator, and thus, the passengers' faces, instead of the front of the elevator, or you wait for the elevator door to open, find only one person occupying the area, and say "I think I'll wait for the next one." These are all clever examples of social norm violations, but I've been googling "breaking social norms" and all the people of other forums only seem to mix up "doing something stupid," "endangering yourself," "irritating people," "potentially breaking the law," and "asking to get beaten up (hugging strangers?)" with actually going against a normal social norm. Some of the more clever/normal/safe/interesting social norm violation suggestions I found were:

- eating foods requiring forks/knives with your hand
- going to a table and asking that person "are you going to eat that? It looks REALLLYY good"
- cleverly conjuring up a self-animated conversation in a coffee shop
- eating on the floor of a fast food restaurant
- performing exercise stretches in a weird, out of place situation
- my sister did this one, not bad: she went around on a day other than halloween and trick-or-treated

What can you guys think of that are NORMAL, CIVILIZED, NON-DANGEROUS ways of going against social norms? This might be more difficult than you think, we're so accustomed to these norms that we forget what they actually are.

CN3089
September 29th, 2009, 03:01 AM
What exactly is the point of this, other than being a douchebag in public?

Wait, that wasn't nearly as much of a shitpost as I intended. Here you go:

:iamafag::iamafag: LOOK AT ME GUYS I'M WEIRD AND ~ZANY~ LOL oh god please look at me i need your attention i crave it :smith::smith:

annihilation
September 29th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Specify that your drive-through order is "TO-GO."

OmegaDragon
September 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Breaking the social norm or annoying other people whilst you have your own fun. Meh. It does entertain sometimes.

Personal favorite is to stand in a busy place then start looking up, and see how many people stop to look.

E: Oh! Also narrating your life aloud so other people can hear you. Make sure to add comments on your surroundings and the people around you.

Kornman00
September 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM
- eating on the floor of a fast food restaurant

dotdotdot

What can you guys think of that are NORMAL, CIVILIZED, NON-DANGEROUS ways of going against social norms?
I don't know about you but anything from, let alone in, a fast food restaurant sounds dangerous to me :ohdear:

Ganon
September 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
going to a table and asking that person "are you going to eat that? It looks REALLLYY good"

well shit I do this anyway

paladin
September 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I come to this form. That breaks about ever social norm.

teh lag
September 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
CN is right, this stuff doesn't seem so much to be breaking social norms as just being a cunt.

Random
September 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Play leap frog, everywhere.

ChemicalFizz
September 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Wait, that wasn't nearly as much of a shitpost as I intended. Here you go:

:iamafag::iamafag: LOOK AT ME GUYS I'M WEIRD AND ~ZANY~ LOL oh god please look at me i need your attention i crave it :smith::smith:

Do you have a personal vendetta against the science of psychology or something? Did you get into a fight with some personal psychotherapist? You misinterpreted my post. The public transportation seat situation, for example, questions why anyone would have the right to a specific seat, why you do or do not have the right to entitle yourself to that seat, no matter how awkward it seems to both parties, and more importantly, what conditioned us as humans to follow this etiquette. What I'm asking to discuss is no more mischievous than an episode of Candid Camera, and I'm certainly not looking for stupidity/just-for-lulz at a level comparable to an episode of Punk'd. Beats me why you're so butthurt about it. I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. Did you get irritated by someone who did a similar project? All I was really looking for was to see how people responded to the situation. You can certainly look at each of them as a plea for attention, but how exactly would I benefit from the stunt? I know of much better ways to grab attention than to do these. These are just to see people's reactions, rather harmless if you ask me. At most, it puts them at an awkward position.

Sorry if you were offended.

Edit: I guess you guys don't really like this idea. Thanks for the participation. Posts were amusing.