PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Creative Audigy 2 and Vista/W7?

jcap
September 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS that I've been using for about the past 5 years. When I switched to Vista a few years ago, Creative could not make a stable driver for their lives. For a little over two years now, I've been using the DanielK hacked drivers which are very stable and feature-complete. However, it is missing one thing...

Unfortunately, the hacked driver I am using does not have support for the Dolby 5.1 decoder. I read on another forum that Creative actually added this as a feature some months ago. However, the last time I downloaded a driver from creative (on Vista 64-bit), the Trillian sign on/off sounds were garbled and it sounded like when you plug a video output into an audio input (analog).

If anyone has any experience with the any recent drivers (download most recent at http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=4915&prodName=Audigy%202%20ZS&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster ), please comment.

=sw=warlord
September 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I just use windows update for getting my drivers once ive installed vista, for some reason microsoft has drivers for the soundcard and yet creative don't.

flibitijibibo
September 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Do you mean DDL? It should be a separate installation (and it costs money, the fucks):
http://buy.soundblaster.com/_creativelabsstore/cgi-bin/pd.cgi?frompage=category&page=product_detail&fromcategory=Software&category=Software&pid=F2222SR6PAKH5DGY6SD

I think DanielK modded the DDL pack too, so you may not have to mess with that. I will say though, the X-Fi DDL (from Creative) kind of sucks, the optical channel randomly dies every couple of days. I dunno how Audigy's is.

jcap
September 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I want to decode a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. The DDL software sounds as if it is only for encoding.

Also, this is what I'm looking for:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4141/63681775.jpg

Timo
September 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I've got an Audigy 2 ZS, and using DK's drivers since they've been out. I can't find the drivers on the link you posted - I click on "Vista compatible drivers avaliable" next to the Audigy 2 ZS and it tells me a file is not found :\

flibitijibibo
September 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Wait, where are you getting the DD signal from?

jcap
September 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've got an Audigy 2 ZS, and using DK's drivers since they've been out. I can't find the drivers on the link you posted - I click on "Vista compatible drivers avaliable" next to the Audigy 2 ZS and it tells me a file is not found :\
http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=4915&prodName=Audigy%202%20ZS&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster

Wait, where are you getting the DD signal from?
My Xbox, but it doesn't matter...

flibitijibibo
September 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I meant what input. From what I can tell, all that's on the card is digital out. You have the console?

Timo
September 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Just installed the new drivers - no problems as of yet.

jcap
September 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry, I meant what input. From what I can tell, all that's on the card is digital out. You have the console?
CD Digital. It's an SPDIF pin header on the card. Last spring when GTA4 came out, got an optical > SPDIF converter, then I spliced an RCA cable and a CD SPDIF cable together. I've been using it for about a year and a half now with Digital Stereo, but if the new drivers work with decoding the 5.1 signal, I'll use that.

flibitijibibo
September 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Oh, wow. o.o

Yeah, then I guess the new drivers will do fine, at least according to Timo.

Timo
September 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The only problem I have now is that I get told that "audio enhancements" for my Speakers are causing problems, when they obviously aren't. Only a pop up every time I so into the Sound control panel so it's not too bad.

jcap
October 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't have a decoder tab after updating.

Why the fuck not?

jcap
January 14th, 2010, 01:19 AM
OMG BIG NEWS

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/SB-Audigy-Series-Support-Pack-3-6-11-09-2009/td-p/540934

I'm going to try this tomorrow.

Timo
January 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM
omfg I am so excited ^___^

I'll give this a go next month when I get access to my PC again.

jcap
January 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah uh, I still don't have a motherfucking decoder tab and I have the fucking ZS.

What the fuck.

StankBacon
January 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
lmao, computers just don't like you.

InnerGoat
January 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Your computer expansion card that facilitates the input and output of audio signals is a Piece of Shit. (mine is too (i have an audigy 2 as well)) :v:

flibitijibibo
January 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
^

Just save up for an X-Fi with optical in. You only hurt yourself more by allowing an Audigy to waste all that space/power/anything in your PC.

Timo
January 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'm not spending any more money on sound cards :[

jcap
January 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm not spending any more money on sound cards :[
Yeah, really :[

So if I could convince a friend to buy my card, what do you think it would sell for? I think either my hardware DTS decoder is disabled or missing. I don't understand how either could be the case when I paid for a fucking ZS (all ZS cards should have the ability, not the Value ones) years ago.

Additionally, what sound card could I get that has a hardware DTS decoder? You said the X-Fi, but is it really good? I don't want to spend more than $150 for a new card, and even $100 is pushing the limits.

Basically, whatever I get, I MUST be able to unmute the input in the Windows Speakers Properties for the device and hear audio. On-board audio chipsets rarely come with a hardware decoder for digital audio (mine didn't; requires software), so there is audio lag and requires another program constantly running.

Considering http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024&cm_re=x-fi-_-29-102-024-_-Product, but I don't know if it even has what I need.

>> Of course, I could probably take a risk and buy an Audigy 2 ZS off of eBay and then sell my current card to my friend for the exact same price.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/X-Fi-Titanium-s-decoder-embargoed-digital-input-Creative-you/td-p/543578;jsessionid=D78246A3B9B8CC407F62EB499217CE62
and
http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/Would-you-pay-for-a-DD-DTS-built-in-decoder-with-X-Fi-Titanium/m-p/540993#M148163

Looking into if Creative ever released an official fix for this now.

Cortexian
January 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Been telling people for years that sound cards are a waste of money, just get a good motherboard with good 7.1 sound out. For example, Asus started shipping their motherboards with their own "SupremeFX" PCI-E x1 audio cards back with the 680i series motherboards and they work superb.

jcap
January 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Been telling people for years that sound cards are a waste of money, just get a good motherboard with good 7.1 sound out. For example, Asus started shipping their motherboards with their own "SupremeFX" PCI-E x1 audio cards back with the 680i series motherboards and they work superb.
Yeah, because I'm going to replace my motherboard and pay more for an on-board hardware decoder instead of spending $60-100 for a card that will last longer than the motherboard in the system. This card is still better than what you have on your motherboard, and I've had it since 2004. I wouldn't even be considering a new one if this had the hardware decoder like the spec sheets say. Can the Asus motherboards even decode a DTS stream through hardware?

Edit: A quick Google search revealed that the 680i only supports 2.1 (digital stereo) over optical. No 5.1 hardware.

This is why sound cards are still being sold.

jcap
January 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I think I figured out what the deal is. I ordered an OEM card when it came out to save $$$$ because I didn't need the fancy box or any of that crap. I thought it was going to be the same product as retail, minus the extras. Well, I guess one of the extras was the hardware decoder........

thinhint wrote:
hi Daniel!
I'm using Win 7 x64 and Audigy 2 SB0350 from DELL. I was setup your support pack 3.1. But in my audio console do not have a tab encoder & Decodcer. Can you help me???

OEM models doesn't usually support the Decoder feature.

For the Encoder to be available, you need to purchase it.

Just run the DDL and DTS Connect License Activation app and it will tell how to proceed.

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/SB-Audigy-Series-Support-Pack-3-1-OUTDATED/m-p/535633;jsessionid=D87203C83C530A309B30EA6F36CFD737

I wonder if this applies to all OEM models, or if I just landed on an OEM model for Dell. :-/

flibitijibibo
January 15th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Additionally, what sound card could I get that has a hardware DTS decoder? You said the X-Fi, but is it really good? I don't want to spend more than $150 for a new card, and even $100 is pushing the limits. All X-Fi's have DTS SPDIF-In decoders. Audio Control Panel > SPDIF I/O > SPDIF Input settings.

Basically, whatever I get, I MUST be able to unmute the input in the Windows Speakers Properties for the device and hear audio. On-board audio chipsets rarely come with a hardware decoder for digital audio (mine didn't; requires software), so there is audio lag and requires another program constantly running. X-Fi's allow you to echo whatever input you have live and with virtually no latency, all while recording (and without the need to echo through whatever software is recording).

Considering http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024&cm_re=x-fi-_-29-102-024-_-Product, but I don't know if it even has what I need. The X-Fi Titanium will do fine. I don't usually go for PCI-e for sound, but I'm a picky bitch about how my audio data is being sent.

Been telling people for years that sound cards are a waste of money, just get a good motherboard with good 7.1 sound out. For example, Asus started shipping their motherboards with their own "SupremeFX" PCI-E x1 audio cards back with the 680i series motherboards and they work superb.*Sigh*

Also, personal note: If you have 5.1 speakers that take fiber optic (I doubt that any set wouldn't), buy the DDL/DTSC pack. Best $5 you will spend in the name of digital > analog.

Cortexian
January 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Jcap, you obviously didn't read my entire post... My Striker Extreme (which is based on a 680i architecture) includes a PCI-E x1 sound card called an "Asus SupremeFX" which is more than capable of outputting 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound via analog (which from what I've read is still on par or even slightly superior to digital right now).

No need for wasting $60-$100 on a card that's completely useless in the current computing environment.

jcap
January 15th, 2010, 07:11 AM
All X-Fi's have DTS SPDIF-In decoders. Audio Control Panel > SPDIF I/O > SPDIF Input settings.
So wait, then what's the big deal with the threads I linked? Also, you absolutely sure that the SPDIF-in decoder handles DTS and AC3? On my Audigy 2 ZS, I can still decode SPDIF-in, but I can't do more than 2 channels. If my card supported Dolby Digital 5.1 (which I should >:|), I believe I would have to first click on the decoder tab and choose the internal decoder (http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/02/22/creative_audigy_2_zs_notebook/console_02.jpg), then tell SPDIF input to use that decoder under the SPDIF tab (http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/02/22/creative_audigy_2_zs_notebook/console_04.jpg).

Jcap, you obviously didn't read my entire post... My Striker Extreme (which is based on a 680i architecture) includes a PCI-E x1 sound card called an "Asus SupremeFX" which is more than capable of outputting 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound via analog (which from what I've read is still on par or even slightly superior to digital right now).

No need for wasting $60-$100 on a card that's completely useless in the current computing environment.
Oh, I found that board on NewEgg and I thought 680i was the actual model, "Striker Extreme" being the public nickname. Still, it looks like it can only encode DTS, not decode. Google isn't helping much.

The card won't be a waste of $60-100 if I get the right thing.

Cortexian
January 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Decode, you mean take an external DTS track and play it back on your computer? Why would you want to do that!

flibitijibibo
January 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Freelancer, I would stop posting right now before I take every measure possible in proving that you're winging it. I'm not even going to explain everything that's wrong in your last post here.

jcap: Yes, that's exactly what you do. I can even send you screencaps of my setup with those windows/tabs.

flibitijibibo
January 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Double post, but for a damn good reason:

Holy shit, somehow Creative managed to not have decoding enabled for the Titanium series of cards. So as far as my reading goes, the only cards with the DD/DTS decoding capabilities are the Elite Pro and Platinum series.

What the fuck Creative indeed :fail:

CrAsHOvErRide
January 16th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I had 2 cards from Creative and both sucked balls.

Moneylancer, sound cards are not just for 7.1 gaming systems fyi.

Cortexian
January 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Freelancer, I would stop posting right now before I take every measure possible in proving that you're winging it. I'm not even going to explain everything that's wrong in your last post here.
I am winging it pretty much, my sound card does everything I need it to, output extremely high quality sound from whatever I'm playing on my PC. I'm not an audiophile because I don't care what bitrate the audio is as long as it sounds good, since you can't tell the difference anyhow.

I revise my statement though, the only reason you need a dedicated sound card now-a-days is if you need to record audio from a source external to your PC.

jcap
January 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Additionally, I'm not sure if integrated audio has dedicated RAM. On Creative's cards, the sound cache can increase FPS as much as 15 FPS under extremely high load.

The hardware decoder on cards doesn't just help with external devices, either. The input could come from another application on your system, such as a game/movie that supports Dolby Digital or DTS. Instead of the application handling the task of decoding the stream through software and putting a load on the CPU, the dedicated decoder can handle it on the card.

flibitijibibo
January 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Additionally, I'm not sure if integrated audio has dedicated RAM. On Creative's cards, the sound cache can increase FPS as much as 15 FPS under extremely high load.

The hardware decoder on cards doesn't just help with external devices, either. The input could come from another application on your system, such as a game/movie that supports Dolby Digital or DTS. Instead of the application handling the task of decoding the stream through software and putting a load on the CPU, the dedicated decoder can handle it on the card.
Yup. Like a GPU or PPU, there's an APU. PU, there's just too many these days. I sincerely apologize for the horrible joke.

You might want to look up EAX/CMSS-3D as well.

Cortexian
January 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Well, I guess the memory and dedicated APU would come in handy on lower end systems without multi-core processors... Doesn't look like my card has any integrated memory either so.

http://leimg.lancersedge.com/images/33140226652057085771.jpg

CrAsHOvErRide
January 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Are you just saying that to justify your internal discomfort of not having that extra boost in your computer?

Sound cards are always increase performance BUT that's not their primary purpose.

CPU,GPU,APU,FPU...

Cortexian
January 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Are you just saying that to justify your internal discomfort of not having that extra boost in your computer?
No, I'm saying that because it's true.

$100 for 10-15 FPS? Bitch please!