PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a suitable liquid cooler

FreedomFighter7
October 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
I need some sort of cooling for my graphics card, I'd rather go all the way and get something I know will cool it to the maximum, because my Nvidia 8600 GT gets pretty hot. Do I need a special kind of liquid heat sink? Which one will work with this card? Will such a liquid heat sink work for multiple cards? I'd rather not buy a new cooler once I get some upgrades.

I think I made another thread asking about liquid cooling, but I'm too lazy to look for it, and I didn't ask about what specific liquid heat sink to get.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
save yourself the money, and buy a new video card, an HD4870 is pretty cheap these days, it runs hot, but doesn't cause problems.

Cojafoji
October 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
buy :
3 gallons mineral oil
1 rubber maid container or a fish tank.

dump computer into it. fill it with oil.

never worry about cooling again.

edit: make sure you remove all of the fans.

sdavis117
October 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Move to the North Pole, and use this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129056) case.

(Or you could skip the "move to the North Pole" step)

Dwood
October 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Do this. now.

Cortexian
October 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Mineral oil submersion is a good alternative if you want it to be fairly cheap, as long as it doesn't need to look good.

I'd rather look into something like the following:
http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/4870-vga-lc.html

These are fairly new, the latest versions were actually launched at Fragapalooza this year. I got to play around with the CPU/GPU kits and they're actually a pretty good idea. One of the better pre-assembled liquid coolers out there. They don't have any stand alone units except for the HD 4870 yet though.

Best part is that they're corporate HQ is right here in my city.

InnerGoat
October 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Whatever water block you get for that little card won't fit right on a larger one, especially if it is a full cover block. You're better off saving that money to get a block for your next video card.

Kornman00
October 2nd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Anyone here submerge their shit in mineral oil or other types of coolant? It looks...p cool :caruso:

SnaFuBAR
October 2nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
i suddenly want to do this with a 55 gallon tank and a rack mount :ohdear:

Cojafoji
October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
I've seen my brother do it twice. It was awesome.

Make sure it's mineral oil though...

I saw some dumbass do it with vegetable oil. The oil eventually festered and shit started to grow in it. It was fucking disgusting.

edit: 55 gallons? why?

Cortexian
October 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
edit: 55 gallons? why?
Rack mounts are pretty big.

Cojafoji
October 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Rack mounts are pretty big.
Ugh. Jesus that didn't even compute. My bad.

Kornman00
October 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
I hope the drives in that rack are solid :realsmug:

solid state that is.

Dwood
October 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Anyone here submerge their shit in mineral oil or other types of coolant? It looks...p cool :caruso:

I'll do it.

Under Two conditions: You finish Cerebrum and get doors to sync. Properly.

I have everything to do it. 'cept the mineral oil.

Cojafoji
October 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
uh, for anyone that DOES do this, make sure your hdd stays out of the oil.

legionaire45
October 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Spend the money you would spend on the water cooling on a new video card. That little piece of shit isn't worth a new air cooler, let alone water cooling.

Mineral oil cooling isn't a good idea because all the (non-solid state) capacitors in your computer will start leaking after a few weeks. Additionally, anything with a motor will be put under excessive stress.

Dwood
October 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Mineral oil cooling isn't a good idea because all the (non-solid state) capacitors in your computer will start leaking after a few weeks. Additionally, anything with a motor will be put under excessive stress.

You obv. have not read this (http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php) post.

OmegaDragon
October 3rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Spend the money you would spend on the water cooling on a new video card. That little piece of shit isn't worth a new air cooler, let alone water cooling.

One year no oil change:

The machine is still running strong! We are having no problems with stability, and it has now been running for over a year, most of the time at 80C! It is very easy to lower the temperature through a radiator, or just putting the system into standby at night, but we wanted to see if stability would be affected by higher temperature.

The fans continue to run strong. We're amazed by the number of people that continue to be concerned that the fans will burn out. It is now very clear that the fans have absolutely no problem running in this environment.
There is no sign of weakening of rubber seals or PCB. We have found that prolonged exposure to mineral oil does not eat away at any components. However, you will notice in the pictures that the voltage module for the LED light has fallen down. That module was stuck in place with nothing more than a sticker -- it took 9 months for it to come down! We're amazed it stayed up that long, but definitely recommend you do not rely on stickers or tape to fasten anything. Zip ties will be more solid and long lasting.
The LED light has turned from blue to purple. We aren't sure whether that is due to the oil, because we've seen it happen with other LED lights in regular computers.
The oil has gotten slightly murky. It isn't a very large change, but it is definitely there. This oil has been sitting, unfiltered, for a year, so it isn't really suprising! A quick pass through an oil filter (maybe even a coffee filter!) or a change of oil once a year is all that would be needed to counter this problem.

Overall, the biggest downside we have found is that the oil wicks down the cabling and makes a mess. Its amusing at first to find oil seeping out of your mouse, but gets annoying very quickly! We recommend making extensive use of wireless (especially bluetooth) for a system like this. There's no reason why you can't run only a power cord and video cables to the box, and take care of everything else wirelessly.

I've always wanted to do the submerged mineral computer, but I sometimes get scared of wasting money on some equipment that will only be usable in the submerged computer.

Cortexian
October 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Why would it only be usable in the submerged computer? They're all standard components for the most part.

Also, they should of sealed their ports better, no need to have oil wick down the accessory cables...