PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone/Glucometer

Double_Clawshots
October 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm diabetic and I've noticed that when I go places, I often remember to take my cell phone, but not my glucometer (for those that might not know, a glucometer is what you use to test your blood glucose). I had the idea to combine the two into one, be it by getting a module that snaps onto the phone or by building a completely new device that combines the two into one. I haven't the slightest clue how to go about doing this. Not sure if making the module that snaps on interface with the phone somehow or just making it a piece that clips on and acts like an independent glucometer. With the combined device, I have very little knowledge of gadgets, wiring, ICs, transistors, resistors, capacitors, LCDs, LEDs, etc., etc. Basically, I'm a gadget noob. I wanted to see if anyone could help me with it, as I think it's a great idea. Any insight would be appreciated, and if you could help me build the thing, I would REALLY like that. Please help. :ohdear:

leorimolo
October 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hmm I think if you have an iphone they might be releasing a glucometer for it
http://diabeticcookbookblog.com/216/apple-dreams-it-up-again-an-iphone-glucometer/

Wakeboy1337
October 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
He hates anything apple.

BobtheGreatII
October 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
He hates anything apple.

Apple sucks... Welcome to the real world.

Wakeboy1337
October 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Imo the iPhone hardware is good, just not what apple does to keep us from having our way with it.

Cojafoji
October 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm diabetic and I've noticed that when I go places, I often remember to take my cell phone, but not my glucometer (for those that might not know, a glucometer is what you use to test your blood glucose). I had the idea to combine the two into one, be it by getting a module that snaps onto the phone or by building a completely new device that combines the two into one. I haven't the slightest clue how to go about doing this. Not sure if making the module that snaps on interface with the phone somehow or just making it a piece that clips on and acts like an independent glucometer. With the combined device, I have very little knowledge of gadgets, wiring, ICs, transistors, resistors, capacitors, LCDs, LEDs, etc., etc. Basically, I'm a gadget noob. I wanted to see if anyone could help me with it, as I think it's a great idea. Any insight would be appreciated, and if you could help me build the thing, I would REALLY like that. Please help. :ohdear:
There's really nothing for a diabetic like that out there. You should just buy a second Glucose meter. I know that that might SEEM like a hassle, but when you create a "pocket pack" than it becomes hard to leave anything behind. You just have to get in the habit of grouping things together (and maybe grabbing some cargo pants/shorts would be a good idea). I know that it sucks, but trust me, you'll soon begin to remember.
For example, my pocket pack is:
Cell, ipod (in leather pouch with headphones), wallet, 3 USB sticks, hackysack, keys and zippo. It may seem like alot, but when you get used to it, you'll NEVER leave anything behind.

Or you could just stuff one everywhere you go. One in your car, one at home, one at the place you work ETC.

hobojoe
October 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I actually think it would be a good idea for the company Jitter Bug
to develop something like what your suggesting,
Who are all about making phones for geriatrics and that sorta thing.

Double_Clawshots
October 5th, 2009, 12:33 AM
There's really nothing for a diabetic like that out there. You should just buy a second Glucose meter. I know that that might SEEM like a hassle, but when you create a "pocket pack" than it becomes hard to leave anything behind. You just have to get in the habit of grouping things together (and maybe grabbing some cargo pants/shorts would be a good idea). I know that it sucks, but trust me, you'll soon begin to remember.
For example, my pocket pack is:
Cell, ipod (in leather pouch with headphones), wallet, 3 USB sticks, hackysack, keys and zippo. It may seem like alot, but when you get used to it, you'll NEVER leave anything behind.

Or you could just stuff one everywhere you go. One in your car, one at home, one at the place you work ETC.
yeah, but i already carry a bunch of shit with me wherever i go. i have my phone, knife, wallet, insulin, 2 pens, and a small notebook. i dont really have any sort of containment for it, so i just shove it in my pockets.

Huero
October 5th, 2009, 12:46 AM
you can fit a notebook in them? how fucking big are your pockets
do you wear cargo pants every day?

Cojafoji
October 5th, 2009, 12:59 AM
yeah, but i already carry a bunch of shit with me wherever i go. i have my phone, knife, wallet, insulin, 2 pens, and a small notebook. i dont really have any sort of containment for it, so i just shove it in my pockets.
Well, I hate to sound like a dick, but do you want to die? Type 1 or 2, you've just got to make a decision for your livelihood.

Double_Clawshots
October 5th, 2009, 01:09 AM
you can fit a notebook in them? how fucking big are your pockets
do you wear cargo pants every day?
haha. no. a little notepad thing.

Double_Clawshots
October 5th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Well, I hate to sound like a dick, but do you want to die? Type 1 or 2, you've just got to make a decision for your livelihood.

well, im insulin dependent. it's not often that i forget my meter. when i do, it pisses me off, though.