PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year Old Shoots and Kills 800 Pound Alligator

Advancebo
October 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Simon Hughes was on a hunting trip with his father when they came across the massive reptile.
The boy grabbed his junior-sized .410-gauge shotgun and fired at the creature which was 20 times his size and is one of the biggest ever seen in Texas.
Afterwards Simon said: "I wasn't afraid for a second. Next year I'm going to kill me a bigger alligator."
He described how he shouted “holy moly” when he saw the size of the alligator and intends to bring the mounted head in to school for show-and-tell.
He said: “My friends were proud of me and I was proud of myself. It's humungous.”
The first grader was on a hunting trip with his rancher father Scott Hughes and a guide.
He learned to shoot guns at the age of four and also knows how to drive all-terrain vehicles.
His mother Toni Hughes said, "It sort of scares you to death because there are alligators, there are snakes, all sorts of things out there.
"What we thought was massive was a 10 foot alligator, and this one just dwarfs the 10 foot. It's just so massive and prehistoric looking."
The alligator’s head will be mounted and it will also be turned into book shelve holders.
Simon’s father had a permit to kill two of the 40 alligators on his 5,000-acre ranch near Houston.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6252970/Five-year-old-boy-kills-800-pound-alligator.html

Only in America.

How does he even withstand the recoil of a shotgun?

Ganon
October 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
local news *yawn*

Advancebo
October 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
local news *yawn*

I live in Georgia.

Terry
October 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Because that's what parents do, they let their 5 year olds handle guns.

Needles
October 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM

And they let him go on a trip where there are snakes and alligators, and get all proud when he encounters a 10 foot long one. :v:

Ganon
October 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I live in Georgia.

story is local news *yawn*

Kalub
October 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6252970/Five-year-old-boy-kills-800-pound-alligator.html

Only in America.

a .410 is like a slingshot there is hardly (next to none) recoil :neckbeard:

Sel
October 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
This kids gonna be great in a few years.

=sw=warlord
October 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
This kids gonna be great in a few years.
Especialy when he goe's to college...
Texas chainsaw massacre, LIVE.

Siliconmaster
October 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
He learned to shoot guns at the age of four and also knows how to drive all-terrain vehicles.

learned to shoot guns at the age of four

:gonk:

Captain Pakundo
October 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know about you guys, but this is just... Wrong

Cortexian
October 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
You ever fired a .22 rifle? No recoil on those things depending on the weight of the firearm. A .410 gauge shotgun is the same thing, almost no recoil what so ever.

I'm wondering how the alligator was actually killed by such a weapon. I was of the understanding that gators had pretty think skin/hides...

=sw=warlord
October 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
:gonk:
Ladies and gent's.
We have a real life spartan.
I feel sorry for him if he ever gets into FPS later in life on pc or console...
I can see the interview with thompson already...

Boba
October 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Ladies and gent's.
We have a real life spartan.
I feel sorry for him if he ever gets into FPS later in life on pc or console...
I can see the interview with thompson already...
Do you have a fucking mental disability?

Cagerrin
October 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Why are so many people here convinced this is a bad thing?

idgi

Siliconmaster
October 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
It's not the fact that the kid defended himself (if he was indeed defending himself). It's that he was 5 YEARS OLD and KNEW HOW TO USE WEAPONS. o_o

Terry
October 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Me neither. There's nothing wrong with five year olds handling lethal weapons or hanging around lethal animals. Heck, I used to do it all the time. I say we go back to the old days.

Dwood
October 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Honestly people... You guys cringe at the fact that anyone anywhere outside of the military owns guns so I understand.

I have pictures of me and my Dad holding a shotgun that's bigger than that when I was 4. I woulda fallen over when I was 5 but I could have done it. Nothing to see here.

Horns
October 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
It's not the fact that the kid defended himself (if he was indeed defending himself). It's that he was 5 YEARS OLD and KNEW HOW TO USE WEAPONS. o_o

I knew when I was 5. Whats wrong with that? Isn't knowing how to use guns and how to use guns safely a mature thing? So wouldn't this boy actually be very mature for his age?

The sooner kids learn about firearms, the good and bads of firearms, and firearm safety, the better imho.

Terry
October 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I agree. Jesus, some people can be such moralfags. I mean it's not like he could get hurt or anything.

Siliconmaster
October 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I knew when I was 5. Whats wrong with that? Isn't knowing how to use guns and how to use guns safely a mature thing? So wouldn't this boy actually be very mature for his age?

The sooner kids learn about firearms, the good and bads of firearms, and firearm safety, the better imho.

Yeah, I suppose better to learn safely than to mess around with them later. Still, I'm quite happy letting the military use the guns. I don't live anywhere where I need to shoot things, animal or human.

Horns
October 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I agree. Jesus, some people can be such moralfags. I mean it's not like he could get hurt or anything.

You trollin' ?

Jean-Luc
October 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Imo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching your young child about firearm use and safety. Seeing as the father is a hunter, I actually think it was a very responsible idea to teach his son how to use it and how to be safe, instead of leaving it to chance that the boy would one day come across the gun and use it improperly.

Dwood
October 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Imo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching your young child about firearm use and safety. Seeing as the father is a hunter, I actually think it was a very responsible idea to teach his son how to use it and how to be safe, instead of leaving it to chance that the boy would one day come across the gun and use it improperly.

Exactly! If you have a family that's around guns a lot, it's best to make sure the kid knows how to use it and understand it's not a toy. I'll bet many people could have had a lot of accidents averted if the parents did their jobs and taught their kids how to actually use/be safe around firearms it wouldn't have been such a problem.

PenGuin1362
October 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Its been proven that the younger a child is PROPERLY introduced to firearms, the better understanding and respect they will have for them when they're older. This actually goes along with more than just firearms.

Bodzilla
October 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
poor gator :/

i'm a snout to tail, wine to ale kinda guy.
shooting things for the sake of shooting is a bit off for me :/

Kalub
October 4th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Its been proven that the younger a child is PROPERLY introduced to firearms, the better understanding and respect they will have for them when they're older. This actually goes along with more than just firearms.

I completely agree. Been firin' rifles/pistols since I was 7. If you are disciplined and taught the rules of safety at a young age then you have a better chance to remember them and not be a fucking lunatic.

Kornman00
October 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Afterwards Simon said: "I wasn't afraid for a second. Next year I'm going to kill me a bigger alligator."
don't get crocky kid

c wut i did thar?

rossmum
October 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
ding ding ding

My little sister can shoot as well as I can, and she's not a retard around guns. People twice my age who never touched a rifle as a kid are the ones you need to watch out for, because they'll do something dumb and end up killing themselves/someone else.

Also, .410 doesn't recoil worth a damn, trust me. I'm light as hell but even I barely noticed it.

Phopojijo
October 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Honestly people... You guys cringe at the fact that anyone anywhere outside of the military owns guns so I understand.

I have pictures of me and my Dad holding a shotgun that's bigger than that when I was 4. I woulda fallen over when I was 5 but I could have done it. Nothing to see here.Uhm... what do you mean by "You guys"...?

Kalub
October 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
/stereotype

Heathen
October 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM

In Louisiana I have seen kids that age shoot shotguns.

And I saw an 8 year old shoot a .50 cal.

NuggetWarmer
October 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
you damn city folk always think this is so abnormal. I've known how to shoot (only good with pistols. can't shoot worth a damn with a rifle) since I was 6.

Ganon
October 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM
heh lets hope all you hillbillies had supervision.

Kalub
October 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM
no,

Ganon
October 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
dangum

paladin
October 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I shot a fox two days past. And one the week before. I shoot gophers on a regular basis. Who cares? No one. Its pretty cool that a kid his age and size could kill something like that. When I was his age I could barely fire a .22.

Kalub
October 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Sometimes in the summer I get paid to sit up on top of a box-van and me and my brosef pop little gopher melons for $2 a body.

Best way to spend a summer ever. Try it.

Cortexian
October 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Sometimes in the summer I get paid to sit up on top of a box-van and me and my brosef pop little gopher melons for $2 a body.

Best way to spend a summer ever. Try it.
A friend and I do that for farmers around the city during the summer, grab his old van and drive it out into the middle of the field. We usually setup a sun umbrella and throw some lawn chairs and a cooler up on the roof, then sit back and blast away gophers with whatever rifles we brought along (http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3013/dscn3672i.jpg) (obviously excluding the sign). Last year we took out my dads Benelli and a box of slugs, gophers just splattered everywhere with those things...

Dwood
October 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Uhm... what do you mean by "You guys"...?

Oh sorry. Too loosely defined. I meant "Anyone who is pro-anti-gun laws or is 'Liberal' in the sense that all guns are evil and no children should ever handle guns"

That probably didn't help.... :v:

rossmum
October 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
A friend and I do that for farmers around the city during the summer, grab his old van and drive it out into the middle of the field. We usually setup a sun umbrella and throw some lawn chairs and a cooler up on the roof, then sit back and blast away gophers with whatever rifles we brought along (http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3013/dscn3672i.jpg) (obviously excluding the sign). Last year we took out my dads Benelli and a box of slugs, gophers just splattered everywhere with those things...
Seems a bit of a waste of money, why not just pop then with a .22?

e/ Obviously they won't get blown apart, but shit. That's just overkill, and it must cost a fair bit in ammo

paladin
October 7th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I use a .22 most of the time, Ive taken down a badger with two shots before. (Damn scary) I use a .308 for anything else. (Deer, elk, wolf). Every now and then Ill pull out a 10 gauge. I cut a porky pine in two one with it.