PDA

View Full Version : Static IP help

Heathen
October 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
No, I do not know what I am talking about.

Okay, basically, I had set up a static IP by going to my connection, right clicking on it and selecting use specified IP or whatever. Put in all the info and blablabla.

Then, about once daily, my IP Address changes. I'd like to have it...not do that...which I thought setting up a static IP would be.

Is there any way to do that?

Ganon
October 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Then, about once daily, my IP Address changes. I'd like to have it...not do that...which I thought setting up a static IP would be.

LOL, then what did it do before and what end result did you want in the first place if you changed it?

Horns
October 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
You can't change if you have a static or dynamic ip. You have to call your isp and talk to them about it. Usually it can cost more or less for one or the other.

Cortexian
October 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Your ISP is the only one who can control whether you have a static or dynamic WAN IP address. Static WAN IP addresses usually cost more for some reason as well.

The only kind of static vs dynamic control you have is on your LAN, you can usually setup your router so that all of your LAN PC's are on static IP's within your network.