PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk CRASHING SHIT INTO THE MOON.

Aerowyn
October 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Okay, so if you didn't already hear, NASA is planning on firing a used-up rocket into the South Pole of the moon tomorrow, in an attempt to see if there is ice beneath the surface.

At 7:31 am EDT, the LCROSS mission will send an empty rocket part that weighs as much as a large SUV smashing into the target crater at around 5,600 mph, sending up a massive cloud of dust and debris.

"It will kick up whatever is on the floor of the crater. That may very well include water ice. That is the whole point of the mission," says Dan Andrews, NASA's project manager for LCROSS.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113620797

I swear those bastards at NASA are trying to fucking kill us all. :ohdear:

Higuy
October 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Well, if it has frozen ice and water, it could very well be the next step for mankind to live in space (or on the moon in this case), with water and such.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Why not just send some shit up there to dig into it?

Higuy
October 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
It's completely dark there (becuase of the way the crater + sunlight is), so it'd be pretty hard. And besides, blowing shit up is alot funner. :-3

Warsaw
October 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Takes too long and that would be even more expensive...

Fake E: ninja'd by higuy...

Ganon
October 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
lol shouldn't do anything to it and this probably wont work. my guess is that there probably is water on it though

Dwood
October 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM

That requires effort.

Aerowyn
October 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
My main concern is that here we go smashing shit into the moon and we could seriously do something to fuck it up.

Like, a lot of our existence on earth has a lot to do with the moon, tides, that sort of thing. And if we go bombarding it without thinking of consequences we could end up in trouble.

Phopojijo
October 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah -- what's cheaper? Send some old crap rocket up into space and slam it into the moon -- or make special space drills with specially trained astronauts... etc.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Robot drills!
also, i'd rather not fuck up the world as it is .

Ganon
October 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
My main concern is that here we go smashing shit into the moon and we could seriously do something to fuck it up.

Like, a lot of our existence on earth has a lot to do with the moon, tides, that sort of thing. And if we go bombarding it without thinking of consequences we could end up in trouble.

you look at how many craters are on it and you think smashing something the size of an SUV at a fraction of the velocity of an asteroid is going to hurt it? or maybe you think it will become a future nuclear weapons testing site because we are basically chucking a skittle at it?

Jean-Luc
October 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM

While I agree that we shouldn't do anything to put it seriously out of whack, we're talking about something small here. An SUV sized piece of rocket moving at 5,600 miles per hour is indeed a very strong force, but asteroids of the same size would cause, and indeed have caused MUCH greater damage.

What NASA is doing wouldn't even budge the moon's orbit by an inch.

Higuy
October 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM

blowing shit up is still funner though.

And besides NASA is so smart its not even funny. They probally have it figured out. If they mess shit up, we knows going to be to blame and who's gonna need to fix it.

thehoodedsmack
October 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Doesn't space debris crash into the moon all the time? What's the difference in force between this rocket and an asteroid hitting it, that's what I want to know. I mean, the moon's big, it can probably handle it, right? Either way, sounds like NASA's having some fun with this. We always expect them to be the professional scientist types, but they probably love messing around as much as the rest of us.

Ganon
October 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
lol if we all die what are the concequences?

Sel
October 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
the next step for mankind to live in space

hey u ever heard of the INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION :downs:

Higuy
October 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
lol if we all die what are the concequences?
this kids got one hell of a point
if i die im blaming it on aerowyn though

hey u ever heard of the INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION :downs:
ON THE MOON

Ganon
October 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
this kids got one hell of a point

I don't fear death~

Pyong Kawaguchi
IT would be AWESOME if part of the world got hit by the moon
:v:

Ganon
IT would be AWESOME if part of the world got hit by the moon
:v:

Africa

=sw=warlord
October 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Just think if the orbit got fucked up badly enough by us doing other stupid things we could end up having the moon collide with US.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM
George bush would make sure that it hit afghanistan :v:

Ganon
October 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM

chances are it would be in chunks and hit everything

even japan

=sw=warlord
Wouldn't matter where it collided, it would still be a E.L.E.

English Mobster
The damn thing is so tiny, it's not going to affect the moon any.

Plus, we're doomed anyway, because every year the moon gets another couple inches away from us WITHOUT our intervention, and eventually it's going to slingshot out of our gravity.
E: ALSO WHAT THE FUCK, 50 PEOPLE NINJA'D ME.

Cagerrin
October 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The damn thing is so tiny, it's not going to affect the moon any.

Plus, we're doomed anyway, because every year the moon gets another couple inches away from us WITHOUT our intervention, and eventually it's going to slingshot out of our gravity.
"Eventually" being ridiculously far in the future. Inches are nothing on an interplanetary scale.

Terry
October 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Nothing's going to happen. Stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Heathen
October 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Some kids at my school heard about this and were like
"Aw, meh bruh....dey gunna nock da moon out-a-orbit and we all gonna drown and die"

Morons....we have hit our planet with much worse, what the hell makes them think the moon will fly away.

Rentafence
October 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Some kids at my school heard about this and were like
"Aw, meh bruh....dey gunna nock da moon out-a-orbit and we all gonna drown and die"

Morons....we have hit our planet with much worse, what the hell makes them think the moon will fly away.

+rep for the rasta impression

legionaire45
October 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
My theory is that the moon is hiding Saddam's WMDs.

We are nuking the moon for being terrorists

Everyone will die.

:tabloids:

Horns
October 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Shit has been bombarding into the moon for thousands if not millions of years. Something as small as an suv isn't gonna do shit to it.

Needles
October 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Why can't they make something with a light and use a solar panel to gather energy on the way there from the sun and store it, or use some sort of resilient battery.

I don't get how we're going to learn if it's water or not from slamming into it <.<, we need to collect it.

Dwood
October 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Why can't they make something with a light and use a solar panel to gather energy on the way there from the sun and store it, or use some sort of resilient battery.

I don't get how we're going to learn if it's water or not from slamming into it <.<, we need to collect it.

It'll create dust and then we'll get imaging of it and then we know if it's water or not.

Alwin Roth
October 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
If there were no wars we would probably be living on the moon by now...

SnaFuBAR
October 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
the next step for mankind to live in space

It's very weird we're on a fuckin' rock flying through the universe... and it hardly ever comes up.

WE'RE ON A FUCKIN' ROCK. FLYING THROUGH SPACE.

blind
October 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
If there were no wars we'd still be stuck in the mud, war breeds technological advancement hope that helps

Ganon
October 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM

if it wasnt for wars like we'd still be on horses and canada might be considered a force to be reckoned with.

Jean-Luc
October 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM
If there were no wars we'd still be stuck in the mud, war breeds technological advancement hope that helps

"Necessity is the mother of invention."
-Plato

:eng101:

Horns
October 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Wars also bring people together and create unity.

TeeKup
October 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Speak of the devil, I just got a call from my friend about this and was a little confused.

All the information has to come back immediately because about four minutes after the first impact, the spacecraft will crash into the moon, as well. "And game over, we're done," Andrews says.

I'm sorry but this seems like and incredibly stupid and half-assed mission.

Amit
October 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM

As many others have already said, this isn't that major. I'd prefer them wasting rockets on the surface of the moon than them actually drilling into the moon and fucking shit up, Time Machine style.

thehoodedsmack
October 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I hope we find a monolith.

SnaFuBAR
October 8th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry but this seems like and incredibly stupid and half-assed mission.

A very low cost mission that puts all the necessary elements out to be quickly measured to answer questions quickly is stupid and half-assed???

thehoodedsmack
October 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM
A very low cost mission that puts all the necessary elements out to be quickly measured to answer questions quickly is stupid and half-assed???

I think he means half-assed in the sense that we really only get one shot at this, otherwise we have to waste another rocket. Usually we would expect some sort of drilling machine for something like this, just because it's what we've come to expect from NASA. The idea of crashing something into the moon, for science, or for entertainment, has more a history in science-fiction than actual application.

That said, it certainly isn't a half-assed experiment, seeing as NASA wouldn't waste resources and time for no good reason, but it's impossible to ignore the fact that this is definately strange.

PopeAK49
October 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Wasn't Tsar Bomba as big as a SUV? :ohdear:

flibitijibibo
October 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Talked with a physicist about it, here's what we got:
4,542,136.1 mkg/s
or, 5.68544626 GJ
or, slightly above 2 on the Richter scale
or, over a metric ton of TNT.

Goddamn. Wish I could see the impact.

Heathen
October 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
+rep for the rasta impression

Actually, its more like black kids from Louisiana.

Siliconmaster
October 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Actually, its more like black kids from Louisiana.

Rasta sounded funnier when I said it in my head. :P

Shock120
October 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM
yay, explosion! :neckbeard:

lets just destroy the damn thing.

Ganon
October 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM
yay, explosion! :neckbeard:

lets just destroy the damn thing.

word

t3h m00kz
October 9th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I don't think it should have much more of an effect on the moon than us doing nuclear tests in the middle of deserts n all that fun shit.

Bodzilla
October 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
just saw it.

sorry you missed it.

Bodzilla
October 9th, 2009, 06:49 AM
also the world ended.

sorry about that. i'm in australia so we are ahead of you time zone wise, so you've got like 10 hours to live.
make the most of it.

i'll be watchign from my comfy cloud in the sky.
also jesus is a p coo guy, he punches people in the face and doesnt afraid of no crucifixion.

Ganon
October 9th, 2009, 06:52 AM
also the world ended.

sorry about that. i'm in australia so we are ahead of you time zone wise, so you've got like 10 hours to live.
make the most of it.

i'll be watchign from my comfy cloud in the sky.
also jesus is a p coo guy, he punches people in the face and doesnt afraid of no crucifixion.

you fuckers think you're so cool living in the future!

.Wolf™
October 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Hey, let them blow it up, lets just find a spare one to use instead..Durr..

Darn it Nasa..Shooting rockets at Moon is like Shoving a carrot up Gods ass... RAGNAROK IS HERE!!!

Aerowyn
October 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
BREAKING NEWS
The projectile that struck the moon broke the surface, and scientists discovered a Nobel Peace Prize that they gave to Obama. :D

PRAISE JESUS!

FRain
October 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Why are you scared? They're detonating what's relatively a firecracker on the moon. It's not like it's strong enough to blow up the moon or send it out of it's orbit.

y so srs

E: bodie, you gotta tell us when the first flyign car is produced so we can save up our moneys and buy it 16 hours later.

rossmum
October 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Why are you scared? They're detonating what's relatively a firecracker on the moon. It's not like it's strong enough to blow up the moon or send it out of it's orbit.
people are literally retarded

FRain
October 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM
also free dane and see what the response to this thread is k

InnerGoat
October 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/63766222.html

lol.

FRain
October 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Wasn't Tsar Bomba as big as a SUV? :ohdear:
We're CRASHING a rocket into the moon. We're not detonating a NUKE on the moon.

Jean-Luc
October 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
We're CRASHING a rocket into the moon. We're not detonating a NUKE on the moon.
Even if we did, I don't think people realize just how tremendous the force required is to even nudge the moon out of its normal orbit.

For example, I read on a science blog yesterday that if, hypothetically, the moon was in a descending orbit around Earth and we had ~10 days to attempt to repel it, it would require the force of quadrillions (1,000,000,000,000,000s) of nuclear weapons to even have a hope of diverting/repelling the forward velocity.

Rob Oplawar
October 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
every year the moon gets another couple inches away from us WITHOUT our intervention, and eventually it's going to slingshot out of our gravity.
As far as I understand it, the force that moves the moon further from the earth results from the tides, which result from the moon... it swings itself further and further away but as it does so the force decreases, meaning eventually it will reach equilibrium. But I'm not well learned in orbital mechanics and whatnot. I just know that for the moon to leave orbit you have to put energy into it, and I doubt it can receive that much energy from its oscillations with the tides.

we really only get one shot at this, otherwise we have to waste another rocket.
FYI, this was a side mission to another recent lunar mission (LRO, I think...)- the probe that followed the rocket in was tiny, and the rocket was going to be used anyway to get that other satellite to the moon. And, at the end of such missions, the rockets have to be deliberately destroyed (or flung out of earth orbit and out of harm's way) anyway to prevent them from potentially re-entering the atmosphere and hitting a population center (it would be unlikely to do anything but burn up into harmlessly small pieces, but it could happen). The point is, it was a relatively very small cost to add this mission on, and it potentially will provide very valuable insights.

And yeah, people who are worried about this having the least bit of negative impact are probably also terrified of the world ending in 2012.

Heathen
October 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
And yeah, people who are worried about this having the least bit of negative impact are probably also terrified of the world ending in 2012.

/thread.

You are thinking EXACTLY as me.

.Wolf™
October 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
That movie is going to pwn.

Rob Oplawar
October 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I saw a clip from that movie. They ran away from a fucking earthquake. It looks even more hilariously bad than Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. Because at least that movie didn't take itself seriously. I will see it for the special effects, but I intend to be laughing my ass off to the extreme annoyance of everybody else in the theater.
[/thread hijack]

Dwood
October 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I saw a clip from that movie. They ran away from a fucking earthquake. It looks even more hilariously bad than Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. Because at least that movie didn't take itself seriously. I will see it for the special effects, but I intend to be laughing my ass off to the extreme annoyance of everybody else in the theater.
[/thread hijack]

Watch it be about Global Warming or some other thing that Humanity is doing to conjure the wrath of the planet.

Amit
October 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Watch it be about Global Warming or some other thing that Humanity is doing to conjure the wrath of the planet.

You must not have watched the trailer.

.Wolf™
October 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I liked the part when a priest hits a Dong thing,and the Ocean goes over the mountains..Yeah thats what i like..I will also watch it for the special fx.

Ganon
October 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM
http://zgaming.net/zgshack/images/mp7usqncxlkb19lie10c.jpg
the moon was never in any real danger guys, this guy was on the fucking job.

Heathen
October 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Santa?

Cojafoji
October 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Computer guru's / Scientist's with those types of beards are always the best.

English Mobster
October 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Just like how Gordon Freeman was in charge of the LHC.

We're still here! See guys? Leave things up to the professionals.

il Duce Primo
October 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Is NASA some sort of secret Hollywood movie?

klange
October 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
In AD 2009, war was beginning

Moon King: What happen!
Moon Mechanic: Someone set us up the bomb!
Moon Comm Officer: We get signal!
Moon King: What!?
Moon Comm Officer: Main screen turn on.
Moon King: It's you!

NASA: How are you gentlemen. All your base are belong to us.
NASA: You are on your way to destruction.

Moon King: What you say!?

NASA: You have no chance to survive make your time.
NASA: HA HA HA HA.

InnerGoat
October 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Is NASA some sort of secret Hollywood movie?

Its all science.

http://innergoat.modacity.net/net/125513226173.png

FRain
October 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Sigged.

n00b1n8R
October 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM

I laughed, then felt unclean :ohdear: