PDA

View Full Version : Do the De-evolution

Kornman00
October 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM
A short story about going from using Vista to being forced into XP and liking it.

So after about three days of this and that and yadda yadda yadda, I was finally able to get a Windows OS running back on my MacNook. For whatever reason my previous one, Vista, took a crap on me and didn't let me stay logged in long before a BSOD hit.

To make matters worse I was running Boot Camp Beta from 2006 on my OSX (10.4). So I had to upgrade to 10.6 as that includes the latest Boot Camp and lets you change shit. I used to run Vista on a 32gb partition. Ugly choice on my part. I managed to get fucking OSX to partition me a 48gb drive this time. Wanted 60gb, but fucking thing kept :downs:ing into "unmovable" files. My ass. l2defrag OSX. Or at least provide an option for a boot time one.

Anyway, long story short...I'm running XP on my Macbook pro where Vista used to rein supreme. Over three years since I used XP at home...it's a bit different but I really can't say I miss Vista so far.

So many lessons learned from the past three years of Boot Camping. Gonna do things a lot better this time around.

Note: I had to use a Dell XP reinstall disc from work because the macbook wasn't reading my Vista disc right. Turns out I used the wrong Vista disc that I had burned about three years ago. A funny thing to note is how the Dell reinstall disc worked with no complaints about the computer being a Mac and not....oh say, a Dell.

Oh and the entire time I've been dealing with this ordeal, my body has been incubating flu symptoms. Get to see the doctor tomorrow to find out if it's H1N1 with a hint of C3PO

So much work to be done before I can actually get back to work in Windows :(

BobtheGreatII
October 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
So this is random... But uh... All I see is Vista and XP amongst all those words. So... *cough* do you have have Windows 7 on Pre-Order my good sir? I suggest you get on it. :realsmug:

ShadowSpartan
October 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM
So this is random... But uh... All I see is Vista and XP amongst all those words. So... *cough* do you have have Windows 7 on Pre-Order my good sir? I suggest you get on it. :realsmug:
I agree. I've been using W7 for a while now, and I won't be going back to XP or Vista.

A short story about going from using Vista to being forced into XP and liking it.
You never did say why you were liking XP more than Vista.

flibitijibibo
October 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Heh, yeah... I love how the Dell CD's work with any machine. I wonder how much fun W7 will be for that thing.

ShadowSpartan:
Over three years since I used XP at home...it's a bit different but I really can't say I miss Vista so far.

ShadowSpartan
October 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
He just says that he doesn't miss using Vista, I want to know why. What makes XP better?

Jelly
October 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
It's not necessarily that XP is better, it's that Vista is not better.

paladin
October 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Post about it.
/no one cares

also,
:nom:

Amit
October 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Windows XP doesn't whine and bitch about compatibility issues.

/Thread.

Kornman00
October 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Windows XP doesn't whine and bitch about compatibility issues.

/Thread.
All of the boot camp drivers work like a champ. i-sight works, backlit keyboard works. Everything works.

Vista, only some things worked :|. Those two I just mentioned were some of the things which didn't, hth

Not ready to make the change to W7 yet. Not only that, but I don't see Boot Camp supporting it yet. Not only that, but if the vista drivers aren't fully working for it...well, I really don't give a shit right now about trying it out on W7. I'm not going W7 until I get a new computer next year (assuming there are drivers for the shit I want)

Vista also EATS YOUR HDD SPACE LIKE A FAT KID AT SUMMER CAMP RAIDING THE FOOD SUPPLIES holy shit.

I can actually see the exception data when a program crashes, instead of having to fuck around, open the control panel, go to problem and solutions reports and then finding the goddamn exception info from the list. I want ease of use when I'm hacking developing something.

I use Vista at work...the hoss bosses have the image we're required to use on our machines we put out, set to prompt for the admin username/pw for EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME.

By the time I'm done prepping a new computer for use I will have entered admin credentials almost 15 times (restarts due to updates and system changes included). XP, I did it like two or three times max. Times were simpler then.

Oh, and that bullshit program they try to pass off as a defragger in Vista. Yeah, fuck that shit MS. That thing never even defragged my goddamn hdd, I had to get (read: buy) Diskeeper to save my day :|. Diskeeper can manage the MFT too though so I guess it was worth it.

BobtheGreatII
October 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, bro, Vista sucks, we get it. It's sucked for quite a while. That's why we're talking about Windows 7. And I'm not too sure what you're talking about drivers for. Ever since the second beta, I haven't had any problems finding Windows 7 drivers.

Kornman00
October 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
And I'm not too sure what you're talking about drivers for.
I'm pretty sure the first post explicitly remarked at how I use a MacBook with Boot Camp...ergo, Apple hardware

BobtheGreatII
October 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the first post explicitly remarked at how I use a MacBook with Boot Camp...ergo, Apple hardware

Interesting... so even though you're in bootcamp, you still need Mac drivers? I had no idea. Also:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15/using-boot-camp-to-install-windows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/

Just saw that...

Kornman00
October 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Like I explained earlier, not all the Vista drivers for the Mac hardware worked. Yet in XP they do. I'm not going to trust Vista drivers to do their work in W7 when they aren't that great in their true environment.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM
As long as you are using 32bit, XP drivers work in W7 iirc

jcap
October 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Like I explained earlier, not all the Vista drivers for the Mac hardware worked. Yet in XP they do. I'm not going to trust Vista drivers to do their work in W7 when they aren't that great in their true environment.
Weren't you also using drivers from like 3 years ago?

Kornman00
October 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
No, I was using the drivers that come with the Snow Leopard disc (borrowed from a friend...)

Kornman00
October 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Just tried Vista again after XP went to shit

Vista randomly restarted as I was coping files just after a clean install. I'm never putting windows on my macbook ever again. ever. It's obvious it's treating windows as a virus :downs:

paladin
October 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Lol, interracial pc brand babies.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3137/ohsnapaids.jpg

Kornman00
October 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
nice hot link there :downs:

paladin
October 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
i see a pic. germany must suck ass

CrAsHOvErRide
October 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe it really does because I cannot see it either.

Syuusuke
October 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
NY must suck too if i cant see it.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Click http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/oh-snap-u-got-da-aids.jpg to see it

CrAsHOvErRide
October 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Stop failing and post the real link...;P

Kornman00
October 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Click http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/oh-snap-u-got-da-aids.jpg to see it
More like highlight link, Apple+C, Apple+T, Apple+V to see it :-3

e: highlight if the link isn't in dot format :nsmug:

paladin
October 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM
ugh, fuck that shit. I fixed it.

Kornman00
October 21st, 2009, 04:04 AM
So, picked up Parallels 4.0 while at the store today. If this doesn't work, well...

I'm going to kill someone in this thread :)

paladin
October 21st, 2009, 04:17 AM
Sure not I

t3h m00kz
October 21st, 2009, 04:21 AM
replacin mah Vista install with W7 when I get the chance, keepin mah XP~~

Bodzilla
October 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
So, picked up Parallels 4.0 while at the store today. If this doesn't work, well...

I'm going to kill someone in this thread :)
Well it's a good thing i havn't posted yet!