PDA

View Full Version : Bootable Partition Managers

Kalub
October 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I need one.

I've tried Gparted, and Parted Magic. They both have their problems, Parted Magic won't boot, and Gparted has an error when it goes to resize my partition.

Suggestions?

dydo
October 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I think you can create a bootable disk with acronis disk director but I'm not sure.

Kalub
October 13th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Can any one confirm this?

Kornman00
October 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I only have Acronis True Image server and it has a bootable media builder but it describes it as a tool for when shit becomes unbootable. Idk about the Disk Services one, wasn't included

StankBacon
October 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
what are you trying to do?

windows has a built in partition manager that you can use to resize shit and all that...

Kalub
October 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Well, I know this harddrive has a "dirty" logfile because it wasn't properly shut down right making it boot from a live cd as read-only. I have no idea how to fix that because of my hardware swap, and it being my old harddrive I get a NTLDR missing.

I'm trying to shrink the partition and with the unallocated space create a new partition for Windows 7, but that fails because the drive is read-only.

I'm trying to either reset that flag or test other bootable managers

e: I'm trying to not lose my data as well, and I only have access to the installer dvd partition tool that I think wipes the drive and then creates the new tables

leorimolo
October 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Fixmbr with your vista/xp/w7 disk?

StankBacon
October 13th, 2009, 11:29 PM
hirens boot cd has a bunch of partition software on it (as well as other hdd tools), you could try that.

Cortexian
October 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Acronis Disk Director does in fact allow you to create a bootable disk.

Kalub
October 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Bah, did it the easy way with diskpart got fucking sick of trying to use a damn live cd