PDA

View Full Version : BSOD

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I got a BSOD on my w7.
I thought I had a virus but checked and malwarebytes says I'm clean.
I know that doesn't mean much though.

I got it from an .exe called x-force generator.exe. Yeah, I know, I am stupid. I forgot an old password and got desperate. Now i have a virus and feel stupid.

Anyways, I have bsod'd a few times and finally came for help.

Is there any error log I can show you guys or anything to help you help me?

sdavis117
October 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Back up any files you need, and reformat the drive.

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM
:[ I know. Anything else?

StankBacon
October 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
open the task manager and right click on the file and open file location to see where it is and delete it..

if you cant, start, run, msconfig and go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that is not supposed to open at startup, reboot, then try to delete the bad files.

-edit- a little bit of googleing has led me to believe that your fucked, and a reformat for this particular virus is your only option.... who knows tho.

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
open the task manager and right click on the file and open file location to see where it is and delete it..

if you cant, start, run, msconfig and go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that is not supposed to open at startup, reboot, then try to delete the bad files.

Its not in my task manager :/ I saw it was once but I ended it. Haven't seen it since.

E: not in msconfig>startup either.

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Google has led me to believe the very same :[[[[

Cortexian
October 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Amateurs and their inability to compute safely. :saddowns:

Next time scan the questionable file after downloading it and after extracting it (if required).

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Amateurs and their inability to compute safely. :saddowns:

Next time scan the questionable file after downloading it and after extracting it (if required).

I usually do :[

This is my first virus in 17 years of life.

Seriously upset.

E: second.

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
If I reinstall w7 and let everything go into windows.old, would that suffice?

No, right?

StankBacon
October 14th, 2009, 09:26 PM
it should, you just have to be very careful what you take back out of that folder.

Heathen
October 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
thats GREAT news actually.

Cortexian
October 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Yea run a scan on the .old folder after your reinstall, nuke bad things, profit.

Wakeboy1337
October 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Freelancer has the right idea. I know what it feels like to get your first virus. I got my first when I was like 15, I'd been computing since i was 5 :/

Cortexian
October 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have yet to experience this phenomenon on my PC, I got plenty of viruses on my old schools PC's though. However I kinda treated the school computers as an online testing ground, if it breaks who cares
:realsmug:

FRain
October 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I got owned by viruses back in September '08 and was unable to restart my computer without the virus spamming christianity.com (which is a good page, actually but for some reason when it opened it it gave me a virus) and had to just nuke the site from orbit.

paladin
October 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM
ha w7 = :\

Wakeboy1337
October 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Heathen you just may be the first person to get a virus on Win 7 :O

Heathen
October 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
No kidding.

The bugger is gone and everything is rolling smoothly.

Wont be making the same mistakes again, thanks guys.