PDA

View Full Version : What seems to be another PSU failure...

RedBaron
October 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Well, I've noticed several threads on this already, and now it's happened to me...

So last night I go to turn off my computer for the evening and everything shuts down like usual. Today, I return from classes, give the power switch a push, and my comp won't boot. The only indication of power is that the power switch, which usually turns green, is now blinking orange, and the two lights for my network card inside the case are still on. Everything else is lifeless. There are no momentary swirl of the fans, there are no beeping sounds, there are only those 3 lights. I tried flipping the power switch on the PSU itself to drain all the current, then trying the power button in the front. No luck.

The first thing that comes to mind is the PSU obviously, but how can I be sure before I purchase a new one? I don't have a spare PSU to test in the comp, at least not one of adequate wattage. I'm more concerned with damage to other components more so than I am with the PSU, which is pretty inexpensive overall. My video card also requires 500 watts, so I'm probably going with a 550ish watt if I do purchase a new one. Feel free to post some candidates...

SnaFuBAR
October 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
toss in your weak psu to see if it gets your board to boot. don't worry about the videocard not getting enough juice for the moment, just see if you can get it to boot. i was set to buy a new mobo because i was sure my psu hadn't died. i tried another psu (which also died and i didn't know because it was new) and a low wattage psu that was a piece of garbage. the shit psu worked, so i went and bought a suitable psu that day instead of a board.

RedBaron
October 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
So the problem is either the PSU, or mobo? Also I was thinking of this one if it came down to the PSU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4465483&CatId=1079

Higuy
October 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
What I did when this happened to me was,
get another psu (dosent matter how much w)
plug it up to your motherboard, fans, harddrive, cd drive
if it turns on, fans spinning, cd drive working, then it's your psu and you should get a new one. It could also be your motherboard.

RedBaron
October 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'll get to testing it out with a crap PSU later then. Probably tomorrow or maybe tonight. Damn it just had to be Friday night too, great way to start off a weekend.

Amit
October 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I hate buying a new PSU, you gotta rewire all that shit.

Con
October 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
This happened to me at a LAN party. I borrowed my friend's PSU for a second and it worked. Try that crappy one of yours.

RedBaron
October 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Sigh... each of my test PSU's didn't have enough of the proper plugs. One was missing a modern hard drive plug, one was missing a 20+4 mobo plug, and another was missing a 4 pin square plug for the mobo. I ended up having to just order this without testing if the problem really is the PSU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&CatId=1079

Rook
October 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
You don't need to plug in your hard drives and shit to test your system, just see if it'll turn on and say "Can't Load OS" or whatever.