PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal Activity

ultama121
October 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Just saw this.

Really really good stuff. Even though it was minimalist, it still managed to keep you tense throughout the movie. It accomplished exactly what it was going for: an extremely painful sense of anticipation. The only complaint I actually have about it was that the ending was... lacking. I'd get into details, but I don't want to spoil it. Go watch this shit if you wanna get scared. :iamafag:

Siliconmaster
October 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I'd love to go see it. I hear it's terrifying, but I watch enough of these movies it probably wouldn't be quite as frightening. Still, I love to be scared.

Advancebo
October 18th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Trailer link?

Gamerkd16
October 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I heard it's not even scary from a friend of mine who saw it. Nothing pops out, it's just the mood that's creepy. Or maybe the fact that it is real, unlike every other fiction horror movie out there.

Ganon
F_UxLEqd074

Advancebo
the trailer scared me ):

NuggetWarmer
October 18th, 2009, 01:41 AM
It's awesome. Number 2 scary movie on my list.

MetKiller Joe
October 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The only problem I have with this movie is that it seems to be using tactics of those, "Let's find a ghost in this abandoned factory!" TV series where they use cheap tricks to produce the effects. I can't say anything about the movie because I haven't seen it, but that is what the trailer shows off, in my opinion.

ultama121
October 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I won't spoil anything, but I will say that's part of the point.

Corndogman
October 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not really one to get scared by movies, and this is the first "scary" movie I've seen in theaters in a few years, so my opinion may be biased but I did not think it was very scary. It was however a very intense and intriguing movie. As ultama said, its really the anticipation that gets to you. There isn't a lot of popping out or sudden loud noises that you see in other crap movies, you know something is about to happen but you don't know what so you are watching intently.

Unlike most scary movies where a bunch of slutty teenagers get killed, it has some intelligence to it and it makes you think. Part of that is that its based real life events (whether you believe that or not) and actual theory's and ideas about "the afterlife" that many people believe to be true.

It also does a very good job of hooking you in so you don't lose interest. It was nearly 1:00 AM when I saw the movie last night, and I was tired, but it kept me awake and interested. It does a good job with the setting and characters, part of the anticipation in this movie is that you feel like you know the characters and care about what happens to them. Its goes through a day by day of home videos that the characters are filming (to try and catch a ghost on film) so you see the everyday lives of these people which makes them more believable and relate-able.

I though the acting was good on the part of the female character, I mean very good. The actress definitely had a very dynamic role to play and she did it very well imo (you know what I mean if you've seen it). The guy was an okay actor, he did all that was necessary for that role but wasn't really spectacular, so no complaints there. The other characters were just kind of there so no complaints.

I liked it overall. I wouldn't call it "the scariest movie of the last decade" or whatever they're calling it, but its definitely better than your average good-looking-people-gore-fest movie.

SilentChaos
October 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
This movie was not the usual turn around a dude with knife is there kind of thing. It wasn't scary just creepy, it was worth my money. :downs:

Rob Oplawar
October 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~idh/apod/image/0707/Apollo11EastCrater_panorama.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Chicago_Downtown_Panorama.jpg
Oh wait.

paladin
October 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I like scary movies.

Sel
October 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM
The trailer didn't intrigue or scare me.

Maybe it'll be good, but I'll wait to see what actual critics say, instead of a bunch of anime faggots~

ultama121
October 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranormal_activity/

S. My. D. Sel.

Aerowyn
October 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I just got around to seeing this movie (because my sister saw it at the Studio Movie Grill and said it was scary).

I ended up with the 2007 revision, which has the "Cop" ending. The theatrical release has what everyone is calling the "Camera" ending. Haven't seen that one, but am downloading it right now.

Apparently there was a third ending that was only screened once, wherin:
Katie, covered in blood, comes up the stairs with the knife. She comes forward to be in frame of the camera, but she does not make eye contact. She then takes the knife and calmly slits her throat and falls out of frame. It just sits there for about 30 seconds until it finally goes out to the end of the film. Apparently this was entirely too settling for audiences and so they took it out.

BUT APPARENTLY someone in Japan is calling that there is a FOURTH ending, similar to the theatrical one, that goes a little like this:
The fella gets thrown at the camera, and the demon-possessed girl tears him open with her nails, tearing out his innards. She licks and consumes them. I don't exactly know from here how the film ends. But this I think might be a fake.

Anyone that saw the multiple endings.... which one do you think was the best?

OH, and PS--for those people who are skeptical about seeing it, here's a link to the 2007 version you can watch online. This one has some scenes missing and a few things different (like the ending).

http://www.watch-movies-online.tv/movies/paranormal_activity/