PDA

View Full Version : File size too large

Corndogman
October 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm trying to copy an .iso file onto my 8 gb flash drive. The file is 6 gb, yet every time I try to copy it it says the file is too large to be copied onto the device. I formatted the device just to be sure there wasn't a problem with it, and made sure no other programs were using the file (which shouldn't matter anyways.) Still no luck.

WTF is wrong?

Saggy
October 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Is the USB FAT or NTFS

Corndogman
October 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
FAT, but I've always been able to copy large files like this onto it so idk, whats different this time.

Saggy
October 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
FAT can only hold files <4GB

Try formatting the drive to be NTFS
http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm

Corndogman
October 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yep, that worked thanks a lot saggy. I never knew that about FAT. I must have had it formatted to NTFS at one point before because I know I've copied files that large before.

E: While I've got this thread I have another problem. For some reason explorer.exe will gradually start to take up more and more CPU power, it gets up to like 95% and my PC comes to a halt. I've just been ending the process and restarting it until it goes back up again then repeating. It doesn't effect me too much unless I'm using the explorer. I did a scan with AVG about a week ago and didn't have any viruses, but maybe I do so idk. Any Ideas?

Llama Juice
October 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
What OS and is it up to date?

Amit
October 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Get this: My WD MyBook 500GB External Hard Drive came formatted as FAT32. I'd never had an external hard drive before so I didn't even look at what it was formatted as, otherwise I would have raped that shit into NTFS oblivion. It wasn't until a year after when I was transferring my really large ISO backups to the drive that I couldn't get the damn files to fit. I looked it up and it said the MyBooks came formatted as FAT32. Sure enough, when I looked at the properties for the drive, I was horrified to find it formatted as FAT32. I cursed like an Irishman because I have no way to move off the files off the External HDD and reformat it to NTFS. So I'm still stuck with large files easting up my internal hard drives.

Heathen
October 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Yep, that worked thanks a lot saggy. I never knew that about FAT. I must have had it formatted to NTFS at one point before because I know I've copied files that large before.

E: While I've got this thread I have another problem. For some reason explorer.exe will gradually start to take up more and more CPU power, it gets up to like 95% and my PC comes to a halt. I've just been ending the process and restarting it until it goes back up again then repeating. It doesn't effect me too much unless I'm using the explorer. I did a scan with AVG about a week ago and didn't have any viruses, but maybe I do so idk. Any Ideas?

As a temporary fix, you could get maxmem, then set it to agressive.

Corndogman
October 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
What OS and is it up to date?

Vista and yes.

Heathen, I will look into it.

E: Yeah that program does fix the problem so I will just stick with that unless someone suggests a permanent fix. Its also helping me save memory so that's p cool, thanks for turning me onto it Heathen.