PDA

View Full Version : Where to start...

paladin
October 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
:allears:

I have a number of issues that I am unable to figure out on my own.

1) Every few hours a message will pop up saying that my display drivers have failed. The screen then flickers 3 or 4 times, then my computer restarts. This has only been happening for the past few days or so and is a bit more unpredictable. This leads into number 2.

2) I went and downloaded and installed the new drivers from ati. After restart, my screens just flash on and off about 10 times, then go black for about 30 seconds. The cycle just keeps going. At first I thought this was part of the drivers installing after the restart but it continuted to do so for about 30 minutes while I watched the news.

3) This has to do with using multiple screens. I got another screen about a month ago. It is smaller than my primarry screen, with a smaller resolution. After setup, I had my main centered on my desk and my secondary on the wall to the left of some my main. Things were good for a few days, but since then, every time I turn off and on my computer, for some reason the settings in CCC reset and the secondary display thinks its on the right side of my main. Every now and then, my computer will even think that my secondary is my main. This is getting quite annoying having to go into CCC after every start up and flip sides.

Any body have any ideas? Right now I am on my laptop and I am about to restore my desktop as soon as this is posted.

Cortexian
October 20th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Have you tried older drivers that worked? Newer drivers aren't always the best ones to use, especially if they make your system unusable.

paladin
October 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
WTF, now ccc wont open...

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
What OS are you on, Ma'am?
Also, CCC doesn't open for me when I am on a certain driver revision, but ironically, if I am on that driver, an visual error doesn't occur.

Warsaw
October 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Ross, you don't have CCC (Catalyst Control Centre, as in ATi Catalyst drivers), you use nVidia. :downs: You have nVidia Control Panel.

Suggestions, in order from least drastic to most drastic:
A.) Wipe new drivers and use older ones or try reinstalling newer ones.
B.) Disconnect and reconnect video cards and check the connections (including the Crossfire bridge).
C.) System Restore.
D.) Reformat.

Cortexian
October 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Ross,
:raise:

jcap
October 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
How recent or old are your drivers? Try using the drivers from August 2009 - that's the last version I upgraded to and I haven't had any problems with multiple monitors. I had this same problem when Windows Vista came out and ATI had their version 8 beta drivers. My computer would crash at least 2 times a day. When 9 came out, it was like heaven.

To cope with this problem I had for an entire year on Vista, I MASHED THE FUCK out of the ctrl+alt+del keys until the security screen came up. Then, I put the computer into sleep using the button at the bottom right of the screen. After it shut off, I just had to press the space bar to wake up my computer and I would be saved.

paladin
October 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
I fixed te CCC problem by installing the disk drivers that came with the gpu. But as for the monitor alting back to the wrong side, the shits pissing me off.