PDA

View Full Version : Digger shot in training accident

rossmum
October 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Just what I need to hear after finally dragging myself out of bed. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/21/2719556.htm)

Army Chief Lieutenant General Ken Gillespie has hailed the commando who was shot dead during a training exercise in South Australia last night as a "great Australian".

Lance Corporal Mason Edwards of the Sydney-based 2nd Commando Regiment was shot in the head during a live-firing exercise at the Cultana Military Base at about 9:30pm yesterday.

The 30-year-old was training for his upcoming third deployment to Afghanistan when the accident happened.

He was pronounced dead at the scene and the body was taken in an army vehicle to the Port Augusta hospital under tight security just after midnight.
Another soldier, also based in Sydney, was taken to hospital with shrapnel wounds to his arm but is expected to rejoin his unit, the Incident Response Regiment, later today.

Both men were members of the Army's Special Operations Command.
Speaking to reporters at a press conference in Canberra this morning, Chief of Army Lieutenant General Ken Gillespie said the soldiers were engaged in close-quarters combat training with live ammunition when the accident happened.

"I know for a fact that Mason was a committed and determined soldier," he said.

"And I can tell you that he considered himself lucky to live in this great country, and to have the love and support of his family and partner."
He said Lance Corporal Edwards' fellow soldiers did everything they could to "save their mate".

The Army Chief confirmed there would be a South Australia police investigation as well as a military review of what happened.
"Something went wrong and the aim of the South Australian Police investigation and the Australian Defence Force investigation will be to tell me what went wrong and what I need to do to fix it," he added.
He said it was "clearly a very tragic accident", but added that such exercises also saved lives during operations in the field.

"It involves compound clearance, house clearance ... and they're the most dangerous tasks they can have in those sorts of situations," he said.

"There is the potential, if they're not prepared, that they can do harm to themselves."

Earlier Defence Force Chief Angus Houston offered his "deepest sympathy" to the family of the dead soldier.

Probably means little or nothing to most of you, what with there only being a handful of Aussies here, but that really sucks. Not entirely sure how it happened, but I hope it won't be repeating itself.

Jean-Luc
October 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Probably means little or nothing to most of you, what with there only being a handful of Aussies here, but that really sucks. Not entirely sure how it happened, but I hope it won't be repeating itself.
I'm not sure why non-aussies wouldn't give a damn simply for the reason it happened in a different country, but at any rate, my sympathies to the fallen soldier.

Sever
October 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Damn, just damn. Even though incidents like this are uncommon, they still hit you hard when it could've been you, or someone you know.

My sympathies to the fallen soldier.Wait, what?

No.

He's dead.

I do believe you mean this:

My sympathies to the fallen soldier's friends and family.

rossmum
October 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Damn, just damn. Even though incidents like this are uncommon, they still hit you hard when it could've been you, or someone you know.
Literally, in my case :ohdear:

n00b1n8R
October 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Have fun ross :q:
yeah that's sad, but when you're working with guns it happens vOv

RedBaron
October 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Why live ammo in a CQC exercise?

Ganon
October 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Why live ammo in a CQC exercise?

so they care apparently. i'm surprised they don't use an alternative.

Good_Apollo
October 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Rubber bullets? Airsoft, laser?

Tons of ways to exercise combat training, leave the bullet firing to real combat and firing ranges (where the possibility of injury is slim). Sad to see someone die in a fucking training event...

Amit
October 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Live rounds in CQB training? That sounds like a set up for disaster. If they were just doing house clearing training, what did they need to shoot at with real ammunition?

Ganon
October 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
I'm honestly curious, people here who are in the military: what the fuck are they really this dumbfuck with training exercises or is there a good reason behind this?

Cortexian
October 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
I know that Canadian special forces train with live ammunition quite a bit more than the rest of the forces, as to why I'm not exactly sure other than the realism factor. Firing real rounds feels a bit different than firing blanks or other types of projectiles.

rossmum
October 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm honestly curious, people here who are in the military: what the fuck are they really this dumbfuck with training exercises or is there a good reason behind this?
Realism factor as Freelancer said, and also the fact that these guys aren't classified under 'Special Forces' for a reason. Last I checked, the British SAS use live-fire in CQB as well, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if our own didn't (especially as 2 Cdo apparently do).

It's hard to explain, but these guys have trained so long and so hard that they know how to move, when to move, where to look, where to shoot. Accidents are obviously inevitable where live rounds are concerned, but they trust these blokes for a reason.

Cortexian
October 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
They also said shrapnel was involved, so it's possible that explosive of some sort were involved and possibly the cause of the misguided aim.

rossmum
October 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
That or they were referring to a round which splintered on something or which had already been slowed. Far as I recall a live round becomes classified as 'shrapnel' as soon as it's no longer on its intended flight path and no longer going at normal velocity, although I could be wrong on that.

Cortexian
October 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
No you're correct, but do you think the media would report that properly?

rossmum
October 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM
They'd likely parrot whatever the Army told them, simply because they don't have anyone else's account