PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap this deserves its own thread

Dwood
October 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
qLziFMF4DHA

This kid uses Echo Location to see: He's blind....

Utterly & Epically insane.

TheGhost
October 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
wtf how

I've heard of heightened senses but this is crazy

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
People actually with some sort of mental dysfunction have been able to see what they hear, and hear what they see, and such.

m13120
October 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Anyone think of Daredevil when they saw this?

TeeKup
October 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
It's almost exactly like daredevil. Thats awesome!

Personally I'd like to see this as adaptation rather than dysfunction...

flibitijibibo
October 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Holy shit, that's awesome.

I remember trying to figure out how to find the size of a room using acoustics, and I could only easily pick out the extremes of the room's size. Getting all the specific objects like that is incredible at the very least.

klange
October 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone think of Daredevil when they saw this?
Yes.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Two years ago.

[/misterbuzzkill]

Mass
October 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
^

cool, but old.

DEElekgolo
October 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
"Underwood died on January 19, 2009 at the age of 16, from the same cancer that took his sight."
:C

leorimolo
October 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
"Underwood died on January 19, 2009 at the age of 16, from the same cancer that took his sight."
:smith:

Disaster
October 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhtMXpNW1zc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhtMXpNW1zc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

:smithicide:

E: Damnit Dee. Should have refreshed the page before posting

TeeKup
October 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM

.....Ow...that really sucks...

PlasbianX
October 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I think this was either a) posted before or b) posted on GBX a while ago

paladin
October 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM
sad, but inspirational.

Roostervier
October 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
cutting his eyes out sure did a lot of good

:mech2:

Dwood
October 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
cutting his eyes out sure did a lot of good

:mech2:

I don't even know what to say... :ugh:

E: Even though when I read it i did smile...

Limited
October 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah I remember seeing this before, absolutely stunning. I have no idea how he saw the tv/nintendo ds screen though, crazy.

Sad he died though, remarkable how he adapted like a dolphin.

FreedomFighter7
October 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I remember trying to figure out how to find the size of a room using acoustics, and I could only easily pick out the extremes of the room's size. Getting all the specific objects like that is incredible at the very least.

Oh? And how would you do that?

I'm highly skeptical when it comes to something like this. I bet its some media hoax.

English Mobster
October 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Umm... No. This really happened, it wasn't just "some hoax".

=sw=warlord
October 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM

I'm highly skeptical when it comes to something like this. I bet its some media hoax.
Is this guy serious?:smith:
Do you seriously think they would take his fucking eyes out for some media hoax?

FreedomFighter7
October 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Do you seriously think they would take his fucking eyes out for some media hoax?

DO YOU? Cus it seems like you do. Maybe he was born without them, something else happened to his eyes, etc. get imaginative. I don't doubt he doesn't have eyes, I doubt he can actually use echo location. Thats just silly.

=sw=warlord
October 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I doubt he can actually use echo location. Thats just silly.
Tell that to every bat and owl on the planet then.
For someone who is naturaly right handed i do almost everything with my left hand because at a young age i had to learn how to use my left hand due to having it bandaged up may well be a different scale but it does give some insight on just how adaptive the human brain actualy is.

Limited
October 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Wow, your ignorant and narrow minded.

The human body is capable of doing incredible things, adapting to certain things, this is however, outstanding what has happened. The reason its incredible is because it wasnt the fact his hearing was acute and increased, it was the same as everyones, it was the fact his brain interpreted with precision.

Watch the freaking video, before shedding your silly view.

Con
October 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Can we just agree that nobody knows the extent of the skill besides the kid?

DEElekgolo
October 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Such a short life for someone with such ability. Being blind isn't really that bad. You won't be missing much.

blind
October 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

FreedomFighter7
October 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thx Blind, very helpful. I was wrong.

Dwood
October 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Such a short life for someone with such ability.

Honestly. He should have at least lived long enough to have a kid so he can pass that gene on.

Disaster
October 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Honestly. He should have at least lived long enough to have a kid so he can pass that gene on.
Its not really a gene. Its a learned thing. He learned that objects make different sounds when sound bounces off of them and that when gaps are present, no sound returns back.

Llama Juice
October 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Bet they didn't SEE that coming!

Yea... I said it.

Disaster
October 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Bet they didn't SEE that coming!

Yea... I said it.
:saddowns:

Timo
October 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
There was an hour long documentary on this kid here a few years ago. He was being taught to use a stick instead of echo locate, because although awesome, there are a few downsides. For instance if there was a massive ditch/hole in the ground in front of him, he couldn't detect it. So iirc he's not a one off case, others have just been taught to use a guide stick before they could hone their skills with sound.

killer9856
November 1st, 2009, 08:59 AM
Holy shit.

Corndogman
November 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
There was an hour long documentary on this kid here a few years ago. He was being taught to use a stick instead of echo locate, because although awesome, there are a few downsides. For instance if there was a massive ditch/hole in the ground in front of him, he couldn't detect it. So iirc he's not a one off case, others have just been taught to use a guide stick before they could hone their skills with sound.

That's the video in the first post, its only the first part of that documentary.