October 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
That or gurren lagann ok

e: shit i'll make the themes if I can find out how

Jelly
October 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM
An eve online theme

teh lag
October 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
yes since this is after all an animes and eve online forums those ideas make perfect sense

InnerGoat
October 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
touhou theme

mech
October 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Horse theme.

Ganon
October 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
yes since this is after all an animes and eve online forums those ideas make perfect sense

haha these forums are serious fucking business!

jcap
October 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
That or gurren lagann ok

e: shit i'll make the themes if I can find out how
Use Greasemonkey and make your own.

Reaper Man
October 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Use Greasemonkey Stylish and make your own.
Ftfy :eng101:

ICEE
October 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I demand TF2 theme. That is all.

jcap
October 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
All themes will be deleted when we upgrade to vB 4 anyway.

cheezdue
October 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM
All themes will be deleted when we upgrade to vB 4 anyway.

But I like my source theme... :saddowns:

Heathen
October 30th, 2009, 05:04 PM
They are gonna be put back though right?

jcap
October 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
No.

Cortexian
October 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
They'd have to be redesigned first, and since that takes time...

sdavis117
October 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Someone said the CSS will be a little neater in VB4. I might try my hand at remaking these themes if that is true.

I hope they use an external style sheet for VB4. That would make things much easier.

jcap
October 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Our plans for post-vBulletin 4 upgrade do not include any user-selectable themes. There's many reasons for this, mostly technical.

StankBacon
October 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM
mostly lazy.

jcap
October 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM
There is no reason to have 3 different versions of one website.
There is no reason we should have to spend 3x longer doing this.
No one here has enough time make them.
Too many components of the new vBulletin suite to take into consideration.
Modified templates will break the default CSS and require new, custom CSS files.
The different sections of the site will be impossible to have multiple styles for without major modifications.
If we do not have consistent themes across the sections, it will look awkward.

That being said, you won't see the main Modacity theme either.

Rook
October 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Our plans for post-vBulletin 4 upgrade do not include any user-selectable themes. There's many reasons for this, mostly technical.

gay you can ban me if there is gonna be no source theme bookmark this post

just kidding don't get a boner

StankBacon
October 31st, 2009, 01:13 AM
uh, wtf are you talking about jflap.

InnerGoat
October 31st, 2009, 01:20 AM
It's ok the source theme is going to be the single theme once we move to vb4

Cortexian
October 31st, 2009, 01:25 AM
I don't even see the benefits of moving to vB4... You already have a CMS implemented that does the job just fine. After all, why bother upgrading to vB4 when you don't even upgrade from 3.7.4 to 3.8.4...

InnerGoat
October 31st, 2009, 01:29 AM
It gets upgraded when I bother jcap about it. ;/

Con
October 31st, 2009, 01:52 AM
I don't even see the benefits of moving to vB4... You already have a CMS implemented that does the job just fine. After all, why bother upgrading to vB4 when you don't even upgrade from 3.7.4 to 3.8.4...
Why bother upgrading to 3.8.4 when we could wait for vB4. Upgrading doesn't happen just like that, talk to p0lar if you want to hear all about the fixes.

The CMS could be a lot better and vB4 has some really nice features that we could use on Modacity.

StankBacon
October 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
jcap id like to know what mods you use that make upgrading and making themes so difficult... pretty much every other forum on the web seems to have no issue.

i also have no clue what you mean when you say 3 different versions of the website.. i guess you don't know what themes are.

jcap
October 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
And you have no idea what templates are.

When I said different "versions" of a website, I was referring to the styles. I think it's absurd that we have 3 different themes that we need to work around. If there's even a minor (3.8.x) update to vB, the templates usually change, and they require manual editing of all. It's difficult enough with a slightly modified default template, but when you begin butchering it up it becomes a mess.

It's also stupid that every user could be seeing the site differently. There is no unity. Not only is this bad from a "professional" viewpoint, but it's bad for the users. If someone posts a PNG that has white text on a transparent background, only darker styles can see it.

TheGhost
October 31st, 2009, 01:15 PM
Well we will see how the style manager in vb4 looks. Purely CSS changes would be easier to manage. It's the template editing that's caused all of the problems we've had (and the reason we haven't upgraded to 3.8.4).

And yes, we are upgrading to vb4 as soon as it's available.

Dwood
October 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM
I like my Halo theme. It's not too bright like the normal Modacity theme but not too dark like the Source theme.

n00b1n8R
October 31st, 2009, 09:01 PM
And it reminds me of h2v D:

Cortexian
October 31st, 2009, 09:45 PM
It's never taken me more than 10 minute or so per template when I run into issues with upgrading... Don't you document all the changes you make and where they need to be made so you can fix them? I haven't actually had any problems with upgrades breaking vB since 3.7.X, all the 3.8.X builds I've used have upgraded with no template errors.

Rook
October 31st, 2009, 09:54 PM
It's never taken me more than 10 minute or so per template when I run into issues with upgrading... Don't you document all the changes you make and where they need to be made so you can fix them? I haven't actually had any problems with upgrades breaking vB since 3.7.X, all the 3.8.X builds I've used have upgraded with no template errors.

breaks

the

add on

plugin

shit thingys

Cortexian
October 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM
What's your point? I have 10+ plugins and mods running on my boards.

I update them.

StankBacon
October 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
like i said, they are lazy.

FRain
October 31st, 2009, 11:23 PM
What's your point? I have 10+ plugins and mods running on my boards.

I update them.
WHINE
BITCH
MOAN
COMPLAIN
CRY
BAWW

no.

they're not going to change it hth~

jcap
November 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Cool. And now please let me know how many of those are custom coded. Themes, too.

StankBacon
November 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
you still haven't said what, if any custom plugins you us here.

as far as i can tell, unless its some back-end shit, everything on this forum is pretty standard.

(for the record i couldn't care less about themes, as i use the default modacity theme, i just am trying to understand why you guys make it seem so hard to do what every pretty much other webmaster in the world has little trouble with)

FRain
November 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Speaking of, does anyone remember the arcade we had for the first like, month that h2vista was alive?

TheGhost
November 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
as far as i can tell, unless its some back-end shit, everything on this forum is pretty standard.

lol, have you noticed that the profile pages were manually customized?

http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?u=1
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/member.php?u=6668

In addition, we have over a dozen products installed with several times more active plugins, some of which don't even have corresponding updates for 3.8.4.

I think a lot of you are underestimating how much shit would break if we update.

We pretty much decided upgrading to 3.8.4 was more trouble than it was worth. Back in the old days of h2vista.net, most of our customizations were just CSS changes in the style manager, so updates were as easy as running the upgrade script. Now we have a lot of bulk, and our database tables and templates have been heavily modified. We are definitely looking to upgrade to vb4 as soon as it's available, and we are planning on taking a more minimalist approach to it styling so we don't run into the problems we're having now. Hopefully mainly CSS changes in the style manager (like before) for customizations will prevent such problems. But obviously we can't know at this point as vb4 isn't released yet.

English Mobster
November 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
When IS Vb4 coming out, anyway?

Ganon
November 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
When IS Vb4 coming out, anyway?

when its released

Rook
November 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
I think it's only going to be released in November, which is just right after my finals, so I should have time to tinker around with it. :P
/