PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Odyssey

BloodyJabs
November 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Many of you at the Halo Maps forum may know me. Some of you are also thinking, "Who gives a crap?" Anyway I am also here to announce a WIP of a map I'm making called Odyssey. Don't even give me that tl;dr bullcrap

Details:
I searched on Halomaps and here and I didn't see any map called Odyssey. Its just an idea for now, but, I feel about ready to model it. Actually, I'm 95% sure I'm going to do this so lets just call it a WIP. Its a fairly small/medium map. I might just make covenant style bases (or just one in the center of the map) and/or make underground tunnels that burrow under the map. The brown area is above the map and is not in the gameplay... Go ahead and crit but just make it constructive...
I'm thinking about making a deep trench/hole in the middle of the river that will kill you, but I'm not sure because the river is more shallow then deep so you can cross it (most of it). Out in the lake/ocean below the map I might add the forerunner structure (where you kill the Prophet of Regret), seen on the Halo 2 level, Regret.
I will start very soon or as soon as I get a new graphics card. My last one got fried (nVidia GeFore 6200, it was okay but I needed/still need a better one anyway) and I'm stuck with my intergraded graphics card. Even Halo is telling me its not the best to use (although I can still run it). Gmax gets very laggy with not even that many polies made so to at least finish the map, I definately need a new one (idea's anybody?).

Help:...?
I really doubt I'll need help with this but you can ask me or I'll just ask for help here if I'm going to need it.

Possible Weapons:
Assault Rifle (1, each at both bases)
Battle Rifle [Fully working] (1, with 2 frag grenades)<---Maybe
Pistol or (1 each at both bases or you start with one)
Sniper Rifle (1 or 2, on hills in center of map)
Plasma Rifle (1 each at both bases)
Plasma Pistol (1 each at both bases, one underground)
Shotgun (1 underground)
Rocket Launcher (maybe, at the edge of the map, at the waterfall)
I need to balance the map out so I might not add rocket launcher but I'm almost sure I'm not taking out the shotgun. I might just add one sniper and make the two hills on the sides of the river connected and just make a bridge over the river, but if you fall off it you'll die.

Possible Vehicles:
Warthog (1 each at both bases)
Rocket Warthog (1 each at both bases)
Ghost (1 each at both bases)
I also need to balance the vehicles since the map isn't that large and I really doubt that I'm going to add rocket warthogs, but I'll see how the map turns out.

Pics/Screenshots:
This is just a basic idea, and my painting skills in paint isn't the 100% the greatest nor is it the perfect idea of how it's going to look, because you can obviously tell each side isn't very balanced. This layout design is subject to change and is not the final:
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx314/BloodyJabs/maplayout.png
Same with the base layout design:
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx314/BloodyJabs/base.png

Old Pics/Screenshots:
Original layout design, 11/7:
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx314/BloodyJabs/Untitled-1.png

Please... Need... Crit or ideas...
Yeah, will start to model as soon as I get a new gfx card + 3ds Max.

Con
November 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Spawning people in a hole isn't going to help camping, even if the flag is outside. It's also not a great idea to put the flag next to two vehicle spawns because it makes escape too easy. I like the asymmetry though; it's a lot better than mirroring layouts for balancing when done right. You also have a lot of opportunity for elevation changes, which in turn can create some interesting terrain and gameplay. I hope to see more!

BloodyJabs
November 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Spawning people in a hole isn't going to help camping, even if the flag is outside. It's also not a great idea to put the flag next to two vehicle spawns because it makes escape too easy.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I wil move the flag base but I like the vehicles there. I was thinking just somewhere around or just outside the base so escape isn't that easy, but I don't want to make it that hard; maybe a teleporter somewhere around.

Sever
November 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Your map sounds pretty basic at the moment, but in the same vein as Arteen's linear vehicular maps - basic, accessible, straightforward, yet with enough openendedness to provide some depth to gameplay. Here's the thing though: we already have maps like that. Arteen made a good handful, and there are scores more of varying quality.

Do something original, I say. Think of what has and hasn't been done yet, and then start on a new concept from there. I'm more than willing to help out with ideas.

BloodyJabs
November 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, I was thinking that my model may be similar to other maps including Arteen's ones. But I have thought of underground burrows and tunnels that go under the map. I'm still thinking if I should let you go to each base using the underground tunnels...
I also want to switch things up, instead of forerunner structures, I should try to make it covenant styled, and you don't see much of that anywhere which can make it more original.

I'm trying to make this a little more of a community oriented map. I'll try to think of the model by myself but with a bit of ideas. Now I want to really use a summer theme but somebody told me on xfire that it would be good if it was set in winter. I should take a poll for this.
The sky is also community chosen and I will try to take poll for this.

Inferno
November 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The M6C is useless and the the regular halo pistol is the equivalent of a battle rifle.

Stay stock weapons.

Sever
November 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Unless you do make your own original and innovative weapon set, just stick with the basics. It's fine to tailor their stats a bit to make them more balanced for a specific map of course. If I remember correctly, Mothergoat (or Arteen - easy to get good mapmakers mixed up) made his Fuel Rod Gun more similar to the campaign version, where it fired a single shot before overheating, but that shot was almost always fatal, and it worked well in his maps.

Con
November 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I say work the map around the weapons, I hate it when people screw with the default weapon set.

neuro
November 17th, 2009, 04:59 AM
halomaps;dr

bobsam
November 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I say go kinda HighGround style on this!

Con
November 17th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Maybe instead of a shallow river with holes you should create a large fissure with bridges and rocky connections at multiple levels. Imagine the cliff edge as a series of rock arches with a lot of empty space between the sides of the canyon. Furthermore, this creates an interesting tie-in with your underground portions of the map.

BloodyJabs
November 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Maybe instead of a shallow river with holes you should create a large fissure with bridges and rocky connections at multiple levels. Imagine the cliff edge as a series of rock arches with a lot of empty space between the sides of the canyon. Furthermore, this creates an interesting tie-in with your underground portions of the map.
I should do that :iamafag:
Thanks for the idea, I'm just not sure if I should use a natural rocky kind of bridge or a forerunner/covenant style if/when I do that...

bobsam
November 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM
To much Covenant stuff need more human :D

Con
November 21st, 2009, 02:25 AM
To much Covenant stuff need more human :D
I thought it was the other way around..

Dwood
November 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
I thought it was the other way around..

I agree with con. we need more good covie stuffs

BloodyJabs
November 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah we definately need more covenant stuff... Too many Forerunner or human styled stuff. Halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST lack covinant styled architecture... Anyway things should get going after December starts because thats when my DSL activates then I can leave this crap Satellite... Everytime I try to download something over 300MB in one day, my download speeds would slow down to 1k/sec for 24 hours and I need programs that are over 300MB, for example, 3ds Max.

TeeKup
November 23rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
I would love to see more covenant stuff. My concern with recent forerunner architecture from the community is that no one seems to be able to do the forerunners the proper justice with the majesty they deserve. I want to see something totally spectacular. The last thing to do so was Portent and Hydrolysis.

Lateksi
November 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Take a look at maps Chiller (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1723) and Solitude (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1562).
They're very interesting looking, not the basic covie stuff you usually see.

Con
November 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hell, Damnation is covie.

Sever
November 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Chill Out is Covenant as well. Everything but the large Forerunner blocks that are under material analysis is Covenant in nature, but just in H1's very low-poly style.

Also, Chiller and Solitude are great maps. I had numerous great games of CQB Oddball on Chiller and 1-shot Snipers on Solitude back in the day.

Dwood
November 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I thought chiller was designed for the portal app.... ?

Higuy
November 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
lol.

BloodyJabs
November 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Well, I tried to do a basic design of the map, and well, Gmax pretty much threw up on me. I can't do this unless I get better graphics, and which I will most likely get an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (1GB). Here it is from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125277&cm_re=ati_radeon_hd_4670-_-14-125-277-_-Product

Good graphics card, right?

sleepy1212
November 28th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Well, I tried to do a basic design of the map, and well, Gmax pretty much threw up on me. I can't do this unless I get better graphics, and which I will most likely get an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (1GB). Here it is from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125277&cm_re=ati_radeon_hd_4670-_-14-125-277-_-Product

Good graphics card, right?

dude what?

my gfx card is made of rocks and pencil shavings and i have no problems running max

CrAsHOvErRide
November 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I just took that map and made it for that :P

Portal App can be adjusted to any map.

Siliconmaster
November 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
dude what?

my gfx card is made of rocks and pencil shavings and i have no problems running max

Yes, but gmax uses software graphics, while 3ds max uses whatever your pc has to offer. I have a really good pc, and gmax fails while max runs perfectly. If Jabs has a not-great-pc, and he's trying to use gmax, may god have mercy upon his soul. :ugh:

Dwood
November 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, but gmax uses software graphics, while 3ds max uses whatever your pc has to offer. I have a really good pc, and gmax fails while max runs perfectly. If Jabs has a not-great-pc, and he's trying to use gmax, may god have mercy upon his soul. :ugh:

True dat bro.

BloodyJabs
November 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Well first off, my computer just plain sucks. Right now, I'm using its intergraded graphics (Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family), 1GB RAM, only 1 Hard Drive (C:\, 24.5 of 74.4GB used), and my processor is an Intel Pentinum 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3059 Mhz, 1 Core, 1 Logical Processor.
Sucks right?

sleepy1212
November 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM

forgets different things :aaaaa:

is there any 3ds versions he can use that are compat with gmax once he gets it straightened out?

Siliconmaster
November 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
forgets different things :aaaaa:

is there any 3ds versions he can use that are compat with gmax once he gets it straightened out?

Unfortunately, no. There are some extremely convoluted conversion methods that usually fail. The only surefire way to get a map in gmax into 3ds max is to get it ingame, then decompile the bsp file via one of the bsp converters into 3ds max. That will destroy all smoothing groups though- be forewarned. Even so, it is far better than doing your entire map in gmax. I took this route with Precipice, and it worked pretty nicely.

BloodyJabs
November 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Random question:
Can a map be made with SketchUp?

Siliconmaster
November 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Random question:

Only if it can be imported into 3ds max. Everything has to eventually run through max to get to a bsp file. Unless I missed some plugin releases for Maya, etc. I'm not sure if you can convert SketchUp files to 3ds max. Anyone know?

Jean-Luc
November 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Sketchup Pro exports to .3ds

However, I'm not certain I'd recommend using Sketchup for such an organic map.

BloodyJabs
November 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that's going to be my problem, is 3ds.
Is 3ds Max really over $100?

Higuy
November 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Actually its over 1000 last time I checked.

k4is3rxkh40s
November 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM

All depends on the version, length of subscription, etc.

Student versions run around 100~ per year, but if you want a FULL license they cost a couple thousand if I remember correctly.

BloodyJabs
November 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Actually its over 1000 last time I checked.
WTF
It's just software to model stuff and put in a game and its over $1000?

Cagerrin
November 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Random question:
In theory, but you'd have to texture it and fix a shit-ton of errors in max or gmax first.

If you absolutely must, I'd advise exporting as a .dxf(there's a dxf exporter out there for the free version of Sketchup, though I don't remember where I found it exactly), as it seems to import to max/gmax with fewer errors than .3ds files will have.

Con
November 29th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Listen, just don't even bother with SketchUp. It's nice for making buildings, but its a horrible way to make halo maps--just get a hold of Max and be done with it. You would eventually outgrow SketchUp or become frustrated by the errors it creates, so save yourself all that time and effort by starting with Max now.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM
WTF
It's just software to model stuff and put in a game and its over $1000?
A lot of work goes into it. Many patents, many complicated mathematical formulas etc.

BloodyJabs
November 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well give me a couple days, see how it works out.
I'll download a 3ds Max and then go for the trial, and then after it, I'll see how I'll get it...

paladin
November 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
All depends on the version, length of subscription, etc.

Student versions run around 100~ per year, but if you want a FULL license they cost a couple thousand if I remember correctly.

$150 - 13 month student
-Max
-Maya
-SoftImage
-MotionBuilder
-Mudbox

Journeyed.com (http://www.journeyed.com/item/Autodesk/Education+Suite+for+Entertainment+Creation/100965792)

You have to be an enrolled student. I think there a a few ways you can prove it. I think I jsut plugged in my social security number and 5 seconds later was confirmed.

k4is3rxkh40s
November 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM
$150 - 13 month student
-Max
-Maya
-SoftImage
-MotionBuilder
-Mudbox

Journeyed.com (http://www.journeyed.com/item/Autodesk/Education+Suite+for+Entertainment+Creation/100965792)

You have to be an enrolled student. I think there a a few ways you can prove it. I think I jsut plugged in my social security number and 5 seconds later was confirmed.

Why thank you my good sir, I was thinking I may ask for a subscription for something for Christmas rather anything else :downs: