PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is going on?

Dwood
November 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM
No matter what I do, I am making Tool screw up.

I'm so frustrated right now because it's not accepting the shaders I've defined no matter what I do. This is for a simple, 2- material BOX MAP what the heck?

E: Sel helped me out, now I know (kinda) what to do. I'm going to revisit this tomorrow b/c I'm too annoyed to continue lol.

Limited
November 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
You sure you converted it to an editable mesh before exporting?

Dwood
November 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
You sure you converted it to an editable mesh before exporting?

I'm using editable poly. Does Tool not compile meshes or something?

Maniac
November 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I think when exporting, bluestreak prefers mesh, blitzkreig does not care.

t3h m00kz
November 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
What I usually do is convert to editable patch, then mesh, then export. Be sure to save before you do so, it unhides every edge.

Dwood
November 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah I managed to get it so that it SHOWS the bsp in game, now the problem is that the map comes out completely white lol.

teh lag
November 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Then you (most likely) don't have properly set-up shaders.

Make sure your BSP is referencing shaders that have actual bitmaps referenced in them (check in guerilla).

Dwood
November 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Then you (most likely) don't have properly set-up shaders.

Make sure your BSP is referencing shaders that have actual bitmaps referenced in them (check in guerilla).

Why doesn't it just autocreate the shaders and compile my bitmaps? Or does it do that and I'm just missing something?

t3h m00kz
November 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Shaders are a pain in the ass.

what you need to do is set up a multimaterial, and use that to texture the BSP. Name each one of the sub-materials to the shader you want it to use. Once you export and run it through tool, it will auto-search your /tags folder for the shaders to use.

Higuy
November 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Why doesn't it just autocreate the shaders and compile my bitmaps? Or does it do that and I'm just missing something?
Halo's engine was made in 2000. What do you expect? Nothing next gen of course. You have the run the commands to convert the tifs to bitmaps, go into guerrilla and create your shaders. Long procces, but it works and is worth it.

Dwood
November 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Halo's engine was made in 2000. What do you expect? Nothing next gen of course. You have the run the commands to convert the tifs to bitmaps, go into guerrilla and create your shaders. Long procces, but it works and is worth it.

Yeah that's a step the official tutorial seemed to miss. :| I can't wait until Formlesstree finishes his tool # completely such that it streamlines this mess a bit more hopefully.

Higuy
November 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah that's a step the official tutorial seemed to miss. :| I can't wait until Formlesstree finishes his tool # completely such that it streamlines this mess a bit more hopefully.
It wouldn't be a mess if you knew what you were doing. What you normally do when putting a bsp ingame is to convert all the bitmaps and set them up properly, and shaders before putting the bsp ingame. Put them in there designated folder so that tool will automatically pick them up. If there not in the levels shader folder, it'll keep looking for a shader with that name from your materials in max. If it dosent find one, it makes one itself which is white.

Dwood
November 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
It wouldn't be a mess if you knew what you were doing. What you normally do when putting a bsp ingame is to convert all the bitmaps and set them up properly, and shaders before putting the bsp ingame. Put them in there designated folder so that tool will automatically pick them up. If there not in the levels shader folder, it'll keep looking for a shader with that name from your materials in max. If it dosent find one, it makes one itself which is white.

Yeah that's what I did, now that I know what I'm doing. :P

sleepy1212
November 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM

what you need to do is set up a multimaterial, and use that to texture the BSP. Name each one of the sub-materials to the shader you want it to use. Once you export and run it through tool, it will auto-search your /tags folder for the shaders to use.

yes, and like higuy said, compile your bitmaps first and make your shaders put them in the map folder mapname/shaders before you run tool structure. during the structure compile the shader locations are set. if you don't have them made already then it defaults to the tags folder and any settings/changes you make in the shaders wont take....unless you run structure again.

Dwood
November 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
All right so I've set my level to 0,0,0 and it goes off to the middle of no where in sapien. :/

Higuy
November 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
All right so I've set my level to 0,0,0 and it goes off to the middle of no where in sapien. :/
make a box in your level in max. write down the coordinates. open level in guerrilla, make a new scenery, place it at those coordinates. open sapien, go into scenery and double click the object. you'll move to the location.

that, or you just didn't run lightmaps?

Dwood
November 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
make a box in your level in max. write down the coordinates. open level in guerrilla, make a new scenery, place it at those coordinates. open sapien, go into scenery and double click the object. you'll move to the location.

that, or you just didn't run lightmaps?

I ran lightmaps. that's for sure. my reference frame is right underneath the map... would that cause a problem?

Vicky
November 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm sure you could find a video-tut on how to make a level...

Sel
November 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM

The shaders are created, you have to run seperate commands for bitmaps, and then reference them in the shader in guerilla.

Not really :\

Compared to most other engines, the shader creation and setup is relatively simple.

Geo
November 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The shaders are created, you have to run seperate commands for bitmaps, and then reference them in the shader in guerilla.

Not really :\

Compared to most other engines, the shader creation and setup is relatively simple.

The difficulty lies with tweaking them too look good. It is an old game after all.

sleepy1212
November 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I ran lightmaps. that's for sure. my reference frame is right underneath the map... would that cause a problem?

nah, are you able to move the camera to your level while in sapien or is it completely gone?

could he just place scenery in sapien, set its coordinates to 0,0,0 manually and then doubleclick?

Geo
November 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah if you box modeled the map then you should set it on 0,0,0 but if you started with a plane then it should at least spawn the camera over that starting plane, provided its on 0,0,0. I would try seeing where your map is located at in Max.

Higuy
November 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
could he just place scenery in sapien, set its coordinates to 0,0,0 manually and then doubleclick?
You can't place scenery out of the skybox! :cop:

sleepy1212
November 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
You can't place scenery out of the skybox! :cop:

lolz sry officer

Vicky
November 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Of course you can :P

Btw, isn't he making a skybox of 0.2x0.2x0.2 ? Unlikely he'll get a decent level if he is...

Dwood
November 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
^^^ - What?

Vicky
November 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
What what?