PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Firing Effect Sounds

seanthelawn
November 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I'm trying to get a new weapon firing sound in-game, but every time I try to compile my .wavs in Tool, I get this error:

11.19.09 08:25:12 tool pc 01.00.08.0616 ----------------------------------------------
11.19.09 08:25:12 reference function: _write_to_error_file
11.19.09 08:25:12 reference address: 42ca20
11.19.09 08:25:12 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
11.19.09 08:25:12 MM: 'couldn't open stream.' (ACMERR_NOTPOSSIBLE#512)
11.19.09 08:25:13 MM: 'couldn't open stream.' (ACMERR_NOTPOSSIBLE#512)

I've searched around and I can't seem to find an answer to this problem. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Also, note: I can make sounds with ogg compression; only xbox sounds don't work. I'm almost positive I have the latest codec.

neuro
November 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM
wether or not a sound compiles or not is COMPLETELY random.

just keep doing it, and eventually it should compile.

t3h m00kz
November 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
What is the directory your .wavs are in, and what are you typing into tool?

seanthelawn
November 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Directory:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\so unds

Command:
tool sounds seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\sounds xbox 1

EDIT: Fixed the path

NerveBooger
November 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\so unds

As bolded above, the wav 16 bit pcm sound needs to be in the same path in the data section:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\sounds\seanthelawn\project\characters \guy\sounds

any and all wav files in this directory will be processed if you dont specify the name of the wav file, multiple files results in one tag, with multiple permutations - look for sound tut on halomaps from E3PO

----- also

tool sounds seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\sounds xbox 1

this would be the wrong path, and the wrong codec, you said you did it in ogg, and the path tool uses relates to where the original sound file your are converting from - at work now, will update when I get home

t3h m00kz
November 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM
^Pretty much this

The Data directory is where all raw data should go before converted into Halo-compatible data. Tool will compile it and switch the directory from Data\seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\sounds to Tags\seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\sounds

Though I don't think the sounds have to go in data\sounds\seanthelawn\project. They can go in any directory structure you want.

So, to sum up:

Sounds go in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\so unds

Type into tool: tool sounds seanthelawn\project\characters\guy\sounds ogg 1 (or xbox1 depending on what you want to do, I always use ogg personally)

To do premutes, I believe you just have to put a bunch of wavs in the same folder. Single sounds go in their own folder.

seanthelawn
November 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Ah sorry, I was in a hurry. I meant the data folder, that was a typo. Also, I put them in the sounds folder for organization purposes.

this would be the wrong path, and the wrong codec, you said you did it in ogg, and the path tool uses relates to where the original sound file your are converting from - at work now, will update when I get home

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but when I mentioned ogg, I just meant I've made ogg sound files in the past (unit_dialogue to be exact) which worked fine. I know the basics of sound creation, I've just never been able to make a sound with the xbox codec.

teh lag
November 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
The Xbox codec is very tempermental. If you're on Vista you're pretty much screwed - to my knowledge, for the Xbox codec to work on a Vista comp it needs to be the highest-priority codec, and since I have yet to discover how to change priority in Vista, once it stops working/gets bumped off by something else it's gone for good.

seanthelawn
November 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
WHAAAAT

So you're basically saying I can't make xbox sounds on my computer?

CodeBrain
November 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Laggy poo is highly incorrect. He should learn to :google: more :allears:

Xbox ADPCM Codec (http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4912&d=1249817721)

Even though it says it's for 64 Bit, it worked on my 32 bit laptop, which had Vista on it. I am on a 64 bit OS btw.

I can compile xbox files just fine now.

Awaits -rep from laggy poo :<

seanthelawn
November 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Aaaah thank you. I guess I should Lrn2:google: as well.

t3h m00kz
November 21st, 2009, 04:52 AM
Hopefully this shit works out for you brosef. Let us know if you run into any problems.

seanthelawn
November 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
YESSSSS

It worked fine. Thanks for the help guys. +rep to everyone who helped (except Neuro, have to spread rep before giving it to you again)

Higuy
November 21st, 2009, 08:43 AM
next time you do this, use vegas. you can render the sound out as a wav with default settings, place it in your folder and run "ogg 128000" at the end of the command. it's worked every single time for me.

teh lag
November 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Laggy poo is highly incorrect. He should learn to :google: more :allears:

Xbox ADPCM Codec (http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4912&d=1249817721)

Even though it says it's for 64 Bit, it worked on my 32 bit laptop, which had Vista on it. I am on a 64 bit OS btw.

I can compile xbox files just fine now.

Awaits -rep from laggy poo :<

For the record, this computer hasn't been able to compile sounds since late 2008 (it could perfectly before). I've tried reinstalling the codec countless times to no avail... and yes, I've spent more than my share of time on Google trying to resolve the problem. I don't know why just reinstalling it worked for Sean, but it sure hasn't worked for me. I was only speaking from my experience.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
fyi x86 means basically 32-bit