PDA

View Full Version : How to set up IKs with controllers?

t3h m00kz
November 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Not sure which forum this would go in, so I'll just ask here. What steps would I need to take in order to create IK constraints with wrist controllers similar to the ones created with Ctrl Alt Destroy's IK controller setup script?

Just so I know how to do it without relying on the script in case I want to animate with a different bone setup, or a different part of the body.

FRain
November 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Bitch get on xfire. I'll tell you.

seanthelawn
November 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
If you help him on the forums, it'll help people in the future when they search for it! :eng101:

Con
November 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
If you help him on the forums, it'll help people in the future when they search for it! :eng101:

FRain
December 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Alright, finally after dicking around in CAD's script I found out how (i used to know but i forgot)

If it's arms, they cannot be perfectly straight, they have to be bent out of position, so I usually set up my origins with them.

1. Then, create an IKHISolver from the start bone to the endbone. Rename this to whatever, I don't care.

2. Then, create a dummy (helpers>dummy). move it to about where that bone is. Create an orientation constraint the end bone to the dummy.

3. Create what you want to use as your "controller" ie: splines like in CAD's tutorial, or a dummy (however, I have had problems using those as controllers in the past.)

4. Link the dummy and the ik constraint to the controller

5. ???

6 Profit!

You can use this for basically anything, however, i STRONGLY recommend using biped systems for skeletal bodies (people, aliens, such) because they can plant their position and rotation (ik is completely locked, and FK is un-locked) for bones. (if you create a running animation for halo, they dont have to run in place, i'm not sure why peoiple think this)