PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Cagerrin
June 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM
-underwhelming
-music does not feel like Halo
-fuck yeah space battles.
-really like the new Covie ship design(corvette?)

Higuy
June 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
After watching the trailer and gameplay presentation, I felt that the art is really looking awesome. However, gameplay not so much. The encounter shown on the beach was very, very messy... 6 Marines, 4 Spartans? I don't think that many would be have to be there to take out like 4 elites and 3 jackals; It reminded me of the many messy CMT encounters.. Atmosphere and art though, seriously was looking awesome. Also, Elites? Shouldn't they be taller then the Spartans by like a foot?

Also space battle... Seriously.

thehoodedsmack
June 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Did someone say space battle? :iamafag: Bits and pieces look really good.

sevlag
June 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
well about the large human numbers versus the covenant its REACH so chacnes are they'll have more numbers...

anyways bungie ha a stylized trailer on their site, the part with the space battle shows the sabre's HUD display and whatnot

Delta4907
June 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Screens:
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/e32010/full/Reach_E310_Campaign08.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/e32010/full/Reach_E310_Campaign09.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/e32010/full/Reach_E310_Campaign10.jpg
More here: http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/images.aspx?c=59
And Bungie released a campaign trailer in HD: http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/vidaudio.aspx?c=58&i=26922

DEElekgolo
June 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I love bungie's skies.

Kornman00
June 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM
The new music fits Reach. Quite frankly, if they used the previous Halo Trilogy's music it wouldn't seem like a new game. Reach is suppose to be a different game and story from the rest. They've redone models, beefed up sounds, just gone all out on this new game set in the Halo Universe. This isn't about the MC and Cortana. This is about Noble Team and Reach. This game is going to rock.

Hopefully 343i will port it to the PC in the next few years; get some modding action on dat ass :iamafag:

Hunter
June 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
:O That looks sick :P

Multiplayer game type in space and spaceships? (Forerunner ships as well) :P

FRain
June 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Meh. The music was underwhelming. The first part was good, but the second part really didn't make me feel all to dramatic and emotional like Lone Wolf did.

To word it differently: the music was GOOD, but it didn't fit THAT.

ODX
June 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I know it was already posted on the last page but this is a DIRECT feed of it, aka full-fps and HD quality if you so choose:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-halo-reach/101277?type=flv

Might I point out there is now an -exit for the sprinting, as well as a little animation for when you jump and land? (Similar to BC2) :O

ejburke
June 14th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Just as long as the space combat isn't the hardest part of a Legendary run -- in fact, it had better be the easiest part -- I'm cool with it. Too many games feel the need to throw in one-off gameplay that is harder and cheaper than the core gameplay and it just kills replay value.

Arteen
June 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Agreed with ejburke. In general, the space combat comes off as minigame-esque. It's a completely separate experience from the core gameplay.

What were the worst parts of the Gears of War games? Vehicle/Brumak/Reaver sections. Why? They played nothing like the rest of the games, didn't have any of the polish or depth, they had inconsistent difficulty, and varied from frustrating and offputting to (at best) mediocre, cathartic fun. I don't see the space combat having much depth or really fitting in with the rest of the gameplay. It really belongs in its own game.

I play the heck out of Halo campaigns, but I'm expecting that I'll want to skip this after one or two run-throughs. I just don't want to play this!

Champ
June 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I picture the whole space battle thing as basically being the same thing as controlling a banshee. Except a little bigger ship..and different weapons.

TeeKup
June 15th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I'm eager to get alongside of some UNSC warships. Personally love the designs of the Marathon, Halcyon, and Frigates. Seeing them up close is going to be sweet.

ejburke
June 15th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I picture the whole space battle thing as basically being the same thing as controlling a banshee. Except a little bigger ship..and different weapons.The Banshee isn't really core to Halo, either. Especially when they put you in a "banshee section". But at least you can climb out of a Banshee and pull off a free-falling air-jack. It looks like you're strapped in to that Saber.

In ODST, I think they went way too far in dictating to the player with the vehicles. 'Okay, now drive a warthog through this whole level. Now get in a tank. Board a Banshee. Get back in a tank.' That stuff is well and good, but it's like Chinese food -- great when it's hot and fresh, but you're hungry an hour later and when you look at the leftovers in the fridge the next day, they don't seem 1/10th as appetizing. The core combat is what sticks to your ribs, it's the stuff that you see in the fridge and pounce on. It's the stuff that keeps you coming back for more.

Now, Halo 1 proved that you don't have to have a Warthog section or a Banshee section (there was a linear tank section, but only one) to make the vehicles useful. There were sections IDENTICAL to those you'd assault on foot, it just so happened that, this time, you had a warthog handy and it was a blast figuring out how to leverage the asset. And the Banshee was a glorified elevator or a Metroid powerup that let you reach areas you couldn't before. That was a good thing.

Anyway, Bungie's vehicle sections have been piss-easy, so I'm not too worried about Gears of War-esque BS (watch them announce underwater combat now). I'm just hoping they give us a higher proportion of the core goodness than we had with ODST, or really any Halo game since Halo 1. I'm thinking an 80-20 split would be nice. I want MEAT, not filler.

Arteen
June 15th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I love you, ejburke. I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes space battles may not be the greatest things ever. Everyone at other sites I frequent are full of unconditional love for it, and I just don't get it. Hey, it might actually be fun, but you did a good job of explaining why there's reason to worry. But an 80/20 split? That still sounds bad.

Now, Halo 1 proved that you don't have to have a Warthog section or a Banshee section (there was a linear tank section, but only one) to make the vehicles useful.
Heh, I always leave the tank and go for a warthog with as sniper marine passenger. That's just too fun to pass up! It may have been a 'linear tank section', but at you still had options (warthogs and ghosts too), and you could reasonably handle a lot of the combat on foot.

I picture the whole space battle thing as basically being the same thing as controlling a banshee. Except a little bigger ship..and different weapons.
i don't really care for the big banshee/hornet battles in Halo 2 and Halo 3. They're a bit monotonous. At least the ODST Banshee level gave you a variety of things to shoot and let you get out of the vehicles to take on enemies on-foot, or to drop onto the scarab.

Hunter
June 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM
It is a bit risky to introduce space battles, but it looks interesting. I will be more interested if they introduce this to multiplayer as a separate gametype; its something different.

I am REALLY liking the designs though, looks amazing. And the art is just unreal...

Also, I prefer a game to have a good amount of interactivity with the environment, I think that they should let you travel in all areas of the planet, such as space and underwater. Tbh, id prefer first person view of flying the ship though... a bit like Hawk, and a similar flying style...

ejburke
June 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Heh, I always leave the tank and go for a warthog with as sniper marine passenger. That's just too fun to pass up! It may have been a 'linear tank section', but at you still had options (warthogs and ghosts too), and you could reasonably handle a lot of the combat on foot.Halo 1's tank segment was my favorite tank segment. They fucked it all up in later games when they started spawning 2X Ghosts + 2X Banshees over and over, basically forcing you into the heavy equipment.

I'd probably be excited for the space combat if a mortal Sgt Johnson was sitting on the fuselage firing his sniper rifle. I just get the feeling this is going to be a level that everyone skips on their 3rd or 4th run through the game. But the people that only play it once on Normal -- the people that don't get Halo and only play it because it's popular -- are probably going to talk about it like it's the highlight of the game and there should have been more of it. And then they will breed. And then, Idiocracy.

DarkHalo003
June 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
All I see the Space Battle as is another large-scale (and hopefully fun) vehicle encounter. I loved the Halo3 Hornet run and really wished I had more. I think this will be a lot of fun though, especially considering it's Bungie doing the Vehicles and junk.

sevlag
June 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
quiet honestly as long as the space segment doesnt suck i'm ok with it

BTW it mentions that Noble 6 has experience flying sabres...WHAT hs this unnamed SPARTAN actually done?

=sw=warlord
June 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM
All I see the Space Battle as is another large-scale (and hopefully fun) vehicle encounter. I loved the Halo3 Hornet run and really wished I had more. I think this will be a lot of fun though, especially considering it's Bungie doing the Vehicles and junk.

This.
The part on the ark where you're in a group of vehicles with choppers, wraiths, warthogs, ghosts and scorpions was possibly one of the best parts in Halo 3, it was the part where the humans actually showed they had a military, not just a bunch of men in green armour.
As doubtful as it seem's at this stage.
I still want to see at least one vulture in this game, just one.

Arteen
June 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I still want to see at least one vulture in this game, just one.
I want to see locusts!

Hunter
June 15th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I want to see your mom players flying a pelican in a huge multiplayer map :(

Sasc
June 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I want to see you mom players flying a pelican in a huge multiplayer map :(

I want to see your mom.:allears:

=sw=warlord
June 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I want to see locusts!

Locust would be good but seeing a full scale, fully fleshed out Vulture barrelling over a hill towards a scarab would be epic on a scale which cannot be defined.
Wolverines and Cobras would be good too.
Seeing banshees flying over head to get knocked out the sky by wolverines could be a interesting sight.

Pooky
June 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Looking at those space battle screenshots again, the planet they're fighting above looks a hell of a lot like Phaaze o.O

Hunter
June 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I want to see your mom.:allears:

:gonk: I said that.

Saggy
June 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Bungie just showed off FIREFIGHT on G4. Some interesting notes from the interview with Brian Jarrard:

Firefight now has matchmaking!!!

A new weapon that marks a spot for a missile air strike.

New perk called Drop Shield. Basically a bubble shield that regenerates health.

A character from ODST will be making a cameo in Reach.

Cagerrin
June 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
goddamit why is Bungie trying to validate ODST?

also Hunters look frigging sweet.

Hotrod
June 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I wanna see that!!!! Now!!!! :(

Champ
June 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
i don't really care for the big banshee/hornet battles in Halo 2 and Halo 3. They're a bit monotonous. At least the ODST Banshee level gave you a variety of things to shoot and let you get out of the vehicles to take on enemies on-foot, or to drop onto the scarab.
I wasn't really saying that to you, Arteen. I was just kind of thinking at loud, I guess. I was saying that it probably is just going to be like a banshee level. It'll probably be cool the first or even the second time, but I can't imagine it being something that's going to totally blow my mind.

PlasbianX
June 15th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Firefight confirmed

Hunter
June 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I wanna see that!!!! Now!!!! :(

Same, LINK!

Limited
June 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Just saw some footage of the space battle, looks very cool. It controls nothing like the banshee, 2 types of weapons. The effects on the rockets/missiles are awesome. Its only 1 level and it is very hard in legendary.

FRain
June 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM
LINK.
DO IT FAGGOT

hry
June 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
link fagsD:

Limited
June 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I wanna see that firefight footage, bloody G4.

hry
June 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
http://imgur.com/q2Ibb.jpg
Airstrike?

TeeKup
June 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
A character from ODST will be making a cameo in Reach.

Buck most likely.

sevlag
June 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Buck most likely.
its like reach all over again

Delta4907
June 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Go to 36 minutes:
http://www.justin.tv/spack_e32010/b/265331053

FRain
June 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZJbQ9V6vmo
Shit quality, however

Hotrod
June 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Ok, that was pretty awesome. Too bad we didn't see more of the Hunters, though it seems like they're a lot more similar to the ones in Halo 1 now.

Arteen
June 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
It's nice to hear that space battles are only in one mission.

Heathen
June 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM
maybe some shattered horizon style multiplayer?

Warsaw
June 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Ha ha, he said "these guys are Spartan II's" and then he said that they weren't as advanced as the Master Chief...

ODX
June 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/n3kwtj.jpg

Hmmm, is that a 15 you say? (Yes, it is, go watch the video. You can see when he shoots the DMR it doesn't go down to 11)

FRain
June 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It was confirmed in the Bungie podcast that the DMR now holds 15 rounds. It was also confirmed that the Needle Rifle holds 21 rounds instead of 16 now.

ODX
June 15th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Well I didn't listen to them :[
Thanks for clarification that it's been shown before and I'm a dummy.

sevlag
June 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM
the increased clip size is because of ONE kid bitching enough to Bungie to change the clip size because a small clip eliminates the skill gap

Kornman00
June 15th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Ha ha, he said "these guys are Spartan II's" and then he said that they weren't as advanced as the Master Chief...
I think he said it as "these guys are Spartans too...but they're not as advanced as the Master Chief".

ejburke
June 16th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Wow, looks like they addressed just about all my complaints about Firefight. Black Eye? Catch? You two have been shitcanned because now I can shitcan you. And hey, we haven't seen anything about Drones, have we? That helps, too.

Kornman00
June 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Drones are still there, at least, from what the public beta game data says (they're part of a wave of elites and such). Only time will tell if they stuck. However, he said you can choose what enemies are in what waves IIRC so even still, sans drones FF!

Malloy
June 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I want multiplayer space battle MODES

ODX
June 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I doubt they made, and tested all the mechanics needed for the space battles just so it could be one level/part in the campaign. Hopefully it is in Multiplayer or else everyone will probably bitch about it too.

=sw=warlord
June 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Firefight 2.0 (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=e32010ff)

Arteen
June 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I always liked drones in Halo 2, but hated how they were done in Halo 3, where they were just a dumb swarm of weak, annoying bugs. If they are like the Halo 2 drones, then they should still be fun.

the increased clip size is because of ONE kid bitching enough to Bungie to change the clip size because a small clip eliminates the skill gap
You mad? Maybe it's because the NR and DMR desperately needed a larger clip size? Now they are more in line with the BR and pistol, which could at least take out three players if you had perfect accuracy. Not every setting Bungie had in the game was absolutely perfect and should not be tainted by the will of commoners.

sevlag
June 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I always liked drones in Halo 2, but hated how they were done in Halo 3, where they were just a dumb swarm of weak, annoying bugs. If they are like the Halo 2 drones, then they should still be fun.

You mad? Maybe it's because the NR and DMR desperately needed a larger clip size? Now they are more in line with the BR and pistol, which could at least take out three players if you had perfect accuracy. Not every setting Bungie had in the game was absolutely perfect and should not be tainted by the will of commoners.me im not mad, im just saying the clip size increase is because of ONE child bitching

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=44102517
^there

as for firefight, looks cool, but if we have a say in what spawns i can see people jsut having grunts spawn to get any FF based achievements

Pooky
June 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure where you're getting the 'child' part from. I read that guys post and 3 pages of replies. He posted a well thought out, carefully phrased argument that makes a lot of sense. In fact, it pins down pretty well one of the reasons why I hated the reach beta so much. Most matches I would just sprint around like crazy double meleeing people because once I shot one person, another guy would always come out of nowhere and I didn't have enough ammo left to kill him without reloading.

Arteen
June 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM
as for firefight, looks cool, but if we have a say in what spawns i can see people jsut having grunts spawn to get any FF based achievements
I expect any FF achievements will be tied to preset gametypes.

sevlag
June 16th, 2010, 01:40 PM
well speed and jump height is increased :|

that aside I watched the FF video on Bnet and the brutes have an odd drop pod

the air strike weapon concerns me, since if its in match making how BADLY will it affect games

Limited
June 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM
So if FF has matchmaking, will game still end if someone quits?

Warsaw
June 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Ugh. The DMR was fine the way it was in the beta, though if I had to nitpick I'd say it a fired a little too slowly.

Futzy
June 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty sure thats one of the things they were testing with overlook. Which means no

Con
June 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
the air strike weapon concerns me, since if its in match making how BADLY will it affect games
I missed this. Can someone explain?

=sw=warlord
June 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I missed this. Can someone explain?

Theres a weapon in the firefight trainer where a player called in a airstrike by "painting" the target.

thehoodedsmack
June 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM

If I had to design the way it works, I'd set the number of enemies every wave proportional to the number of active players. Hence, if three out of four players quit mid-wave, that last person might have a bit of difficulty clearing them, but by the time the next wave came around, the number of enemies would drop accordingly.

Con
June 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Theres a weapon in the firefight trainer where a player called in a airstrike by "painting" the target.
Probably firefight only.

TeeKup
June 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Is it just me, or do the Hunters look terrifyingly awesome.
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/259/reache310firefightwatera.jpg

Botolf
June 16th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Holy shit.

TeeKup
June 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
That's what I said Bolty. D:

thehoodedsmack
June 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Now that there's a Hunter!

p0lar_bear
June 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM
If I had to design the way it works, I'd set the number of enemies every wave proportional to the number of active players. Hence, if three out of four players quit mid-wave, that last person might have a bit of difficulty clearing them, but by the time the next wave came around, the number of enemies would drop accordingly.

It wasn't a matter of game balance, it was a matter of techinical limitations. Firefight originally ran on a modified Campaign engine, where if a player dropped out, it ended the game. However, IIRC I've seen people drop out of games during Network Test 1, which was a test of the new multiplayer campaign engine, so I think it's been resolved.

=sw=warlord
June 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
@Teekup.
Heres a bigger picture.
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/1/4/1/8/1/7/Reach_E310_Firefight_Waterfront04.jpg.jpg

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 04:34 PM
really wish they'd gone with the Zoanoid aesthetic for the rest of the Hunter, not just the head.

=sw=warlord
June 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Oh my... (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/digital/gaming/sneak-peak-of-halo-reach?src=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+pm/latest+(PopularMechanics.com+-+Latest+Content))

There are other surprises in Reach, including multiplayer modes that weren't playable in the recent public Beta, more new vehicles and a fully-featured level-editor that's so powerful, Bungie developers used it to create a few of the maps that will come with the game :ohboy:

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
pretty sure that's a mis-quote, it's been fairly thoroughly argued out on HBO.

=sw=warlord
June 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
And if it's not a misquote?

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It'd be great to be wrong in this case, but it's not likely.

also I think Exam's going to -rep you

Hotrod
June 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Holy shit, Hunters look fucking awesome.

And is it just me, or does this grunt look like a Transformer or something? Either way, it's fucked up.
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/e32010ff/full/Reach_E310_GruntSpecOps.jpg

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
to paraphrase hbo, I want one of the assassination anims to be "rip one of his grunty ears off and beat him to death with it"

Ifafudafi
June 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
So they basically copy one of my weapons with their Needle Rifle and then they up the DMR's clip to 15. They are so stealing all my ideas I should sue them

As for everything, the campagin reveal was quite underwhelming; a few elites, some jackals, and horrible, horrible music does not an epic battle make. Space combat looks cool as a one-off thing (and might find a nice place in multiplayer) but that's about all that intrigued me there.

Firefight was a given, of course, but it was good fun in ODST and I'm excited to see if/how they integrate it with whatever additions they've made to Forge.

FRain
June 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Is anyone but me gravely pissed off that Brutes are even IN reach?

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM
not as much as I thought I was going to be, though that's mostly based on how they look as I haven't seen any combat with them so far.

cave troll+Sage's Beard=fuck yeah

Rob Oplawar
June 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Quite the opposite, for me. I like fighting Brutes, and I like fighting Elites. They have very different feels to them (or at least, they did way back in Halo 2, and since then they've been made to feel more and more like elites...). I feel that if they have both Elites and Brutes in Reach Bungie will make a very strong effort to make them feel very different as targets, and I think that is a great thing. I like to have variety in my enemies.
That's one thing that Halo has done spectacularly well over other FPSes I can think of. Most games to me feel like the only difference between enemies is how fast they move and how many bullets they take to kill. In Halo, on the other hand: Grunts are easy targets but overwhelming in swarms; Drones come at you from every direction; Jackals are weak but have very strong defense; Hunters are massive, lumbering, and dangerous; Stealth enemies are weak but difficult to target; Sentinels are very good at suppression; Flood combat forms have bad aim but will kick your ass; Infection forms are swarms of popcorn that will instantly fuck you up if your shields go down; Elites feel like a Spartan's equal, especially with the shield mechanic; Brutes have breakable armor that functionally behaves like the Elite's shields but gives very strong feedback to damage... Am I forgetting anything?

Not that Halo doesn't have enough variety without the Brutes, but I feel they add an interesting twist to it. They're almost like a different brand of Elites, but in a good way.

e: I left out engineers. Engineers really pissed me off- they had poor feedback on what weapons they were weak to, and made all enemies feel the same: bullet sponges that you just have to shoot a whole lot to kill.
It's all about feedback. It's easy to intuitively feel while playing that this plasma weapon is seriously damaging that target's shields, this accurate human weapon can take down these unshielded guys with one hit, this explosive does a lot of damage to this vehicle, this laser is useless (I'm looking at you, sentinel beam). When suddenly an enemy gets a shield that makes it resistant but not immune to your weapons but the source of the shield is inaccessible from your current location, you're reduced to spraying bullets into a target hoping that the shield will go down eventually.

Engineers could be done right, but they need a more obvious link between themselves and the covenant they protect. Most of the time you can't even see the engineer that's protecting a whole swarm of enemies charging at you. And the shield they project should give more strong feedback on what it does and why it's there.

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
and they look like fucking cave trolls goddamn this is sweet.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/Inspiration/Characters/reach_e310_bruteminor.jpg

Hotrod
June 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm quite happy that Brutes are back, since I loved fighting them. However, I'm kind of disappointed in their new look, and would have very much liked that they went back to their Halo 2 look with lots of fur and stuff, though with that new armor.

Siliconmaster
June 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
goddamit why is Bungie trying to validate ODST?

also Hunters look frigging sweet.

Why would Bungie not be validating ODST? I loved that game.

Edit: Also, firefight looks awesome, and campaign looks awesome, and my internet fails right now, so I can't watch any vids unless I'm at Panera, which is not awesome. But Reach: Awesome.

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Why would Bungie not be validating ODST? I loved that game.
because it fucks with established time stuff, particularly pertaining to elites being replaced far too fast. also the story sucked, in spite of the characters. and then there's the lack of interesting architecture.

Donut
June 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
me im not mad, im just saying the clip size increase is because of ONE child bitching

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=44102517
^there
from the well thought out argument, numerical figures, and calm polite tone, its safe to say that guy is neither a child nor is he bitching. its not like he said "im mad because i die to much, change it!". he posted a courteous and basically correct argument about a legitimate issue. if it makes sense, and apparently it did to bungie, i dont think it matters how many or few people were behind the decision. but its not like it was one person either, because the very first thing you see in the thread you linked to is a pole in which 69% of the voters (1500 people) agreed with his proposition.

Darqeness
June 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Took some screenshots of some interesting things in the video:

What's this?
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Delinquin/ff1.jpg

Spiker's back, though unless they change it's function greatly, it's kind of going against the idea that Bungie wanted to decrease weapon redundancy. The same reason they removed the SMG.
Also liking the new Brutes. The armour isn't so goddamn shiny now. Though I prefer the hairy Brutes from Halo 2 compared to these hairless ones.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Delinquin/ff3.jpg

Fuel Rod's back with what looks like it's 3rd major redesign. I would've though they'd have taken it out and have the Plasma Launcher replace it. Looks like they'll be appearing alongside each other.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Delinquin/ff4.jpg

And finally, it looks like we won't be the only one's given a wide range of armour abilities:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Delinquin/ff5.jpg

Cagerrin
June 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM
first pic is the concussion rifle. far as I can tell it's pretty much a brute shot that fires plasma rounds.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/Inspiration/Weapons/reach_e310_concussionrifle.jpg

ODX
June 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Also liking the new Brutes. The armour isn't so goddamn shiny now.Probably the best thing about Reach, is how armor actually looks like armor. In Halo 3 is was like plastic, but that was to kind of go along with how the artwork and graphical design was laid out so you can't exactly blame them.

I mean come on, just imagine the new Spartans in Reach (made to look more realistic) put into Halo 3. Would that fit at all? No.

Pooky
June 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
well speed and jump height is increased :|

that aside I watched the FF video on Bnet and the brutes have an odd drop pod

Okay, now that's retarded. The jump height was ridiculous in Halo 3. Anyone who thought jumping over a person's head and assassinating them was cool, is a fucking moron.

Arteen
June 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Okay, now that's retarded. The jump height was ridiculous in Halo 3. Anyone who thought jumping over a person's head and assassinating them was cool, is a fucking moron.
Who said it's going back to Halo 3 levels? The jump height was way too low in the beta, and you couldn't even jump over small obstacles without trouble.

Kornman00
June 16th, 2010, 11:51 PM
because it fucks with established time stuff, particularly pertaining to elites being replaced far too fast. also the story sucked, in spite of the characters. and then there's the lack of interesting architecture.
You're complaining about time "line" issues...in Halo?

1) Time is relative.
2) Who knows what kind of odd space-time fuckups a slipstream jump inside a planet's gravity well would/did have. They could have slowed down time around Earth for all we know.
3) It's a game. It's not like they translated something that happened a month later into happening over night
4) I'm pretty sure the whole Brute change over was premeditated by the Prophets for some time before the Halo 2 event. They are poltical scumbags after all.

On another note, you know what would be freaking crazy? Prophets. In my Firefight. It'd be like a Halo Wars FPS almost :o

Ifafudafi
June 17th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Actually Bungie tried to handwave it by saying (paraphrasing here) that during the point in the timeline where ODST took place, the Civil War hadn't quite erupted yet and the Brutes were still largely relegated to more menial tasks, i.e. scouting and cleaning up a city that they just obliterated while the Elites go have fun at Delta Halo. The real reason is just that they didn't want to have to reconfigure the Elites as bad guys, since that would take effort and such (it was just a side project until MS wanted a larger price tag).

Also I want to know if you can assassinate Hunters. Probably not but that'd be badass

Kornman00
June 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM
If you can, it'd probably be along the lines of giving their backsides a good fisting then ripping out whatever wormy worms you can while you're pulling out.

Actually they look pretty armored this time around. It may be that we have to shoot off a back plate now to expose their soft spots, kind of like how you had to shoot off the helmets of Brutes before you could land headshots.

Also, that grunt from earlier made me think of a russian grunt for some reason. heh, russian grunts. Too bad they won't be speaking english this time around -_-

TeeKup
June 17th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I want the grunts to sound like the Aliens from FO3 Mothership Zeta. :)

sevlag
June 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Who said it's going back to Halo 3 levels? The jump height was way too low in the beta, and you couldn't even jump over small obstacles without trouble.just like in halo 1

Rob Oplawar
June 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Ah, the good ol' days of Halo 1! Surely that game was a masterpiece beyond improvement.
:-3

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I'm curious, if a hunter hits you with the force you would imagine due to it's sheer size, what would happen if it hit you while you were in armour lock?
Bowling anyone?

Kornman00
June 17th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I wonder how/if armor locking works while in man-cannoning :-3

Kornman00
June 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
That, and I wonder if they'll enable players with the ability to create game engine variant scripts (note: not halo scripts, a la Halo CE)? Or if we'll just be stuck with the typical prefixed settings UI editor. Forge may be able to automatically create the scripts based on a visual and interactive system though, explaining the "fullly featured level editor" description that article gave.

thehoodedsmack
June 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I wonder how/if armor locking works while in man-cannoning :-3

Mannon balls. :iamafag:

Kornman00
June 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
:lmao: oh man, +rep

e: owait, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thehoodedsmack again."

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM

"Right Spartans, we're going to assault the covenant menace in just a few moments, get your suits ready for a armour lock, once we leave the man cannon you are to armour lock and pummel the elite scum into submission, Any questions? No?, Didn't think so."

"Commander, There appears to be multi colour balls flying directly at us, what should we do?"
"Raise shields, there was no reports of meteor showers today but none the less, this shall not halt our divine path to the great journey"

Saggy
June 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
"Right Spartans, we're going to assault the covenant menace in just a few moments, get your suits ready for a armour lock, once we leave the man cannon you are to armour lock and pummel the elite scum into submission, Any questions? No?, Didn't think so."
Armour Locks, roll out!

Yes, a Transformers reference...

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Armour Locks, roll out!

Yes, a Transformers reference...
Splatter spree!

Kornman00
June 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Cue stereotypical gay elite crew member:

"Ohhhhh! Look at the pretty pink one! I'd lower my shields for those balls any day :iamafagelite:"

sevlag
June 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
well it forced you out of armor lock on sword abse when you tried to do it into the grav lift, so it'll probably force you out when you hit a man cannon

Hunter
June 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
They should allow you to add AI spawn points so you can mess around in custom games with AI :) That would be cooll.

Donut
June 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM
^yes, yes, holy shit yes.

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2010, 05:41 PM
More reach info here: (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=45157353)

Futzy
June 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
They should allow you to add AI spawn points so you can mess around in custom games with AI :) That would be cooll.
I'm thinking this may be an actual possibility due to all of the ai customization options they've been showing

jcap
June 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Don't you need to be on the ground to enable armor lock? If you stand on another Spartan's head, it's very difficult to find the "sweet spot" for activating armor lock. I don't recall being able to activate it in the middle of a fall either.

Hunter
June 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking this may be an actual possibility due to all of the ai customization options they've been showing

I have not seen these options, link?

Kornman00
June 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM
all of the ai customization options they've been showing
1) what ai customization options
2) where were they showing them
3) AI wouldn't be in traditional multiplayer, they'd be in firefight. Assuming Forge can tweak firefight maps into variants then we'd probably see custom drop ship markers and such but I don't think we'd have anything like Sapien from Halo CE in Reach.

Futzy
June 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
It was firefight, yes, but it at least shows they put work into customizing what the ai does. You can only hope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZot6VpfRnY

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/halowaypoint#p/a/u/1/Cev35bWShqM

Pooky
June 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM
well it forced you out of armor lock on sword abse when you tried to do it into the grav lift, so it'll probably force you out when you hit a man cannon

I think that needs to go on their change list then. Armor lock splatter, ultimate humiliation kill.

FRain
June 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
FIREFIGHT SETTINGS
WAVE PROPERTIES
ROUND 1 WAVE PROPERTIES
SKULLS (ON or OFF)
RED
BLUE
YELLOW
MYTHIC
CATCH
TOUGH LUCK
FAMINE
CLOUD
TILT
BLACK EYE
GRUNT BIRTHDAY PARTY
COWBELL
IWHBYD
INITIAL WAVE
USES DROPSHIP
ENABLED
DISABLED
SQUAD SELECTION ORDER
ORDERED
RANDOM
SQUAD 1
GRUNTS
ELITES
ELITE PATROL
ELITE INFANTRY
ELITE TACTICAL
ELITE AIRBORNE
ELITE SPEC OPS
ELITE GENERALS
ELITE STRIKE TEAM
BRUTES
BRUTE PATROL
BRUTE INFANTRY
BRUTE TACTICAL
BRUTE CHIEFTAINS
BRUTE KILL TEAM
HUNTERS
HUNTER PATROL
HUNTER INFANTRY
HUNTER TACTICAL
HUNTER STRIKE TEAM
HUNTER KILL TEAM
SKIRMISHERS
SKIRMISHER PATROL
SKIRMISHER INFANTRY
JACKALS
JACKAL PATROL
JACKAL SNIPERS
HERETICS
HERETIC SNIPERS
HERETIC HEAVY
SQUAD 2
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 3
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
MAIN WAVES
USES DROPSHIP
ENABLED
DISABLED
SQUAD SELECTION ORDER
ORDERED
RANDOM
SQUAD 1
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 2
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 3
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 4
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 5
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
BOSS WAVE
USES DROPSHIP
ENABLED
DISABLED
SQUAD SELECTION ORDER
RANDOM
ORDERED
SQUAD 1
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 2
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 3
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
ROUND 2 WAVE PROPERTIES
(SAME AS ROUND 1 ABOVE)
ROUND 3 WAVE PROPERTIES
(SAME AS ROUND 1 ABOVE)
BONUS WAVE PROPERTIES
BONUS WAVE DURATION
15 SECONDS
30 SECONDS
45 SECONDS
60 SECONDS
90 SECONDS
2 MINUTES
USES DROPSHIP
ENABLED
DISABLED
SKULLS
(SAME AS ROUND 1 WAVE PROPERTIES ABOVE)
SQUAD SELECTION ORDER
ORDERED
RANDOM
SQUAD 1
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 2
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
SQUAD 3
(SAME AS SQUAD 1 ABOVE)
WAVE LIMIT
ONE WAVE
ONE ROUND
TWO ROUNDS
ONE SET
TWO SETS
THREE SETS
FOUR SETS
FIVE SETS
TEN SETS
NO LIMIT
TIME LIMIT
1 MINUTE
2 MINUTES
3 MINUTES
4 MINUTES
5 MINUTES
6 MINUTES
7 MINUTES
8 MINUTES
9 MINUTES
10 MINUTES
12 MINUTES
15 MINUTES
20 MINUTES
30 MINUTES
45 MINUTES
60 MINUTES
NO LIMIT
GENERATOR PROPERTIES
GENERATOR COUNT
DISABLED
SPAWN ORDER
SEQUENCE
RANDOM
LOSS CONDITION
LOSE ONE
LOSE ALL
SCENARIO SETTINGS
HAZARDS
ENABLED
DISABLED
WEAPON DROPS
ENABLED
DISABLED
AMMO CRATES
ENABLED DISABLED
CUSTOM SKULL SETTINGS
RED SKULL SETTINGS
SPARTAN TRAITS
SHIELDS AND HEALTH
DAMAGE RESISTANCE
UNCHANGED
10%
50%
90%
100% (NORMAL)
110%
150%
200%
300%
500%
1000%
2000%
INVULNERABLE
SHIELD MULTIPLIER
UNCHANGED
NO SHIELDS
NORMAL SHIELDS
2X OVERSHIELDS
3X OVERSHIELDS
4X OVERSHIELDS
SHIELD RECHARGE RATE
UNCHANGED
-25% (DECAY)
-10% (DECAY)
-5% (DECAY)
0% (NO RECHARGE)
10% (SLOWER)
25% (SLOWER)
50% (SLOWER)
75% (SLOWER)
90% (SLOWER)
100% (NORMAL)
110% (FASTER)
200% (FASTER)
HEALTH RECHARGE RATE
UNCHANGED
-25% (DECAY)
-10% (DECAY)
-5% (DECAY)
0% (NO RECHARGE)
50% (SLOWER)
90% (SLOWER)
100% (NORMAL)
110% (FASTER)
200% (FASTER)
SHIELD VAMPIRISM
UNCHANGED
DISABLED
10% LEECH
25% LEECH
50% LEECH
100%% LEECH
IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
UNCHANGED
ENABLED
DISABLED
IMMUNE TO ASSASSINATIONS
UNCHANGED
ENABLED
DISABLED
WEAPONS AND DAMAGE
DAMAGE MODIFIER
UNCHANGED
0%
25%
50%
75%
90%
100%
110%
125%
150%
200%
300%
INSTANT KILL
MELEE MODIFIER
UNCHANGED
0%
25%
50%
75%
90%
100%
110%
125%
150%
200%
300%
INSTANT KILL
GRENADE REGENERATION
UNCHANGED
DISABLED
ENABLED
INFINITE AMMO
UNCHANGED
DISABLED
ENABLED
BOTTOMLESS CLIP
WEAPON PICKUP
UNCHANGED
DISABLED
ENABLED
EQUIPMENT USAGE
UNCHANGED
DISABLED
ENABLED
EQUIPMENT DROP
UNCHANGED
DISABLED
ENABLED
MOVEMENT
PLAYER SPEED
UNCHANGED
0%
25%
50%
75%
90%
100%
110%
120%
130%
140%
150%
160%
170%
180%
190%
200%
300%
JUMP HEIGHT
UNCHANGED
0%
25%
50%
75%
90%
100%
110%
125%
150%
200%
300%
PLAYER GRAVITY
UNCHANGED
50%
75%
100%
150%
200%
VEHICLE USE
UNCHANGED
NONE
PASSENGER ONLY
DRIVER ONLY
GUNNER ONLY
NO PASSENGER
NO DRIVER
NO GUNNER
FULL USE
SENSORS
MOTION TRACKER MODE
UNCHANGED
OFF
ALLIES ONLY
NORMAL MODE
ENHANCED MODE
MOTION TRACKER RANGE
UNCHANGED
10 METERS
25 METERS
75 METERS
150 METERS
APPEARANCE
ACTIVE CAMO
UNCHANGED
OFF
POOR CAMO
GOOD CAMO
WAYPOINT
UNCHANGED
NO WAYPOINT
VISIBLE TO ALLIES
VISIBLE TO EVERYONE
VISIBLE NAME
UNCHANGED
NO WAYPOINT
VISIBLE TO ALLIES
VISIBLE TO EVERYONE
FORCED COLOR
UNCHANGED
OFF
RED
BLUE
GREEN
ORANGE
PURPLE
GOLD
BROWN
PINK
WHITE
BLACK
ZOMBIE
WAVE TRAITS
DAMAGE MODIFIER
UNCHANGED
0%
25%
50%
75%
90%
100%
110%
125%
150%
200%
300%
INSTANT KILL
DAMAGE RESISTANCE
UNCHANGED
10%
50%
90%
100% (NORMAL)
110%
150%
200%
300%
500%
1000%
2000%
INVULNERABLE
SHOOTINESS
UNCHANGED
NORMAL
MARKSMAN
TRIGGER HAPPY
GRENADES
UNCHANGED
NORMAL
NONE
CATCH
VISION
UNCHANGED
NORMAL
NEAR SIGHTED
EAGLE EYE
HEARING
UNCHANGED
NORMAL
DEAF
SHARP
LUCK
UNCHANGED
NORMAL
UNLUCKY
LUCKY
LEPRECHAUN
EQUIPMENT DROP
UNCHANGED
ENABLED
DISABLED
IMMUNE TO HEADSHOTS
UNCHANGED
ENABLED
DISABLED
IMMUNE TO ASSASSINATIONS
UNCHANGED
ENABLED
DISABLED
BLUE SKULL SETTINGS
(SAME AS RED SKULL SETTINGS ABOVE)
YELLOW SKULL SETTINGS
(SAME AS RED SKULL SETTINGS ABOVE)
SPARTAN SETTINGS
RESPAWN TIME
10 SECONDS
15 SECONDS
20 SECONDS
25 SECONDS
30 SECONDS
45 SECONDS
60 SECONDS
90 SECONDS
2 MINUTES
3 MINUTES
ON WAVE
STARTING LIVES
UNLIMITED
NONE
MAXIMUM EXTRA LIVES
(SAME AS STARTING LIVES)
BASE TRAITS
(SAME AS SPARTAN TRAITS FOUND UNDER SKULL SETTINGS ABOVE)
LOADOUTS
LOADOUT 1
NAME
AIR ASSAULT
MARKSMAN
RECON MARKSMAN
EXPERT MARKSMAN
OPERATOR
GRENADIER
MEDIC
CORPSMAN
STALKER
DEMOLITIONS
INFILTRATOR
SECURITY
SPRINT
ARMOR LOCK
ACTIVE CAMO
[REDACTED]
DROP SHIELD
JET PACK
NOBLE 1
NOBLE 2
NOBLE 3
NOBLE 4
NOBLE 5
NOBLE 6
CARTER
KAT
JORGE
EMILE
JUN
[REDACTED]
[REDACTED]
[REDACTED]
[REDACTED]
JUGGERNAUT
BERSERKER
MAVERICK
ZOMBIE
DEMON
ANGEL
REDSHIRT
LING LING
POOKIE
FNG
NOOB
CAMPER
SPECTER
BUNKER
CLAYMORE
FIREBASE
INTEL
NINJA
POWER
COBRA
EAGLE
HOG
BEAR
WARRIOR
DECEIVER
[REDACTED]
PRIMARY WEAPON
ASSAULT RIFLE
DMR
CONCUSSION RIFLE
ENERGY SWORD
FLAK CANNON
FOCUS RIFLE
GRAVITY HAMMER
GRENADE LAUNCHER
MAGNUM
NEEDLER
NEEDLE RIFLE
PLASMA LAUNCHER
PLASMA PISTOL
PLASMA REPEATER
PLASMA RIFLE
ROCKET LAUNCHER
SHOTGUN
SNIPER RIFLE
SPARTAN LASER
SPIKER
[REDACTED]
UNCHANGED
SECONDARY WEAPON
(SAME AS PRIMARY WEAPON ABOVE)
ARMOR ABILITY
JETPACK
ARMOR LOCK
ACTIVE CAMO
DROP SHIELD
[REDACTED]
NONE
SPRINT
[REDACTED]
GRENADES
1X FRAG
2X FRAG
3X FRAG
4X FRAG
1X PLASMA
2X PLASMA
3X PLASMA
4X PLASMA
1X FRAG, 1X PLASMA
2X FRAG, 2X PLASMA
3X FRAG, 3X PLASMA
4X FRAG, 4X PLASMA
1X FRAG, 1X PLASMA
NO GRENADES
HIDE LOADOUT
NOT HIDDEN
HIDDEN
LOADOUT 2
(SAME AS LOADOUT 1 ABOVE)
LOADOUT 3
LOADOUT 4
LOADOUT 5
GENERAL SETTINGS
FRIENDLY FIRE
ENABLED
DISABLED
BETRAYAL BOOTING
ENABLED
DISABLED
holy crap customizations

btw: formatting got fux0rd so you might have to look again at b.net to make perfect sense of it here
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_061810

ShadowSpartan
June 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Oh, and I can confirm that Buggers are out of Firefight altogether and that the Black Eye skull isn’t in unless you specifically customize the experience to include it.
No more Buggers in firefight, I don't know if I like that or not. Korn will be happy though, he always complained about them. :p

ODX
June 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Black Eye was hell, me and my friend would always freak out everytime it came on and hide, picking off whoever we could and then going up to punch whatever grunts there were.

Really killed the gameplay.

TeeKup
June 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hated blackeye...

Arteen
June 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I could see Drones being off by default, but it's strange that they're removed entirely.

Darqeness
June 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/061810/ForAllTheLadies.jpg

Is it just me, or does the female's arms look really really thin?

ODX
June 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Well they had to do something else to emphasize it was a female aside from giving it a giant ass.

ejburke
June 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I could see Drones being off by default, but it's strange that they're removed entirely.The way the UI is set up, you don't select individual units, you select a squad composition from a list of presets. I guess they didn't want to bother with a squad composition that included Drones. I never felt they fit in a Covenant squad. They were always their own brand of nuisance that broke the concept of target prioritization and complimentary behaviors that a normal, on-foot Covenant squad presents.

Anyway, I'm happy with the no drones/no black eye thing. It's like Bungie crawled inside my head... or my ass. Maybe both. Hopefully the head before the ass. Better get on a course of antibiotics just in case.

English Mobster
June 19th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Heretics, you say, Bungie?

Delta4907
June 19th, 2010, 01:25 AM
It's elites that use human weapons, not heretics from Halo 2 (unfortunately)

Cagerrin
June 19th, 2010, 01:31 AM
They could've at least reskinned the elites. I think the heretics kinda suffered from the texture sizes in H2.

Delta4907
June 19th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Actually I didn't realize until now, but the last elite armor set they've yet to unveil could be some heretic armor.

Cagerrin
June 19th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Actually I didn't realize until now, but the last elite armor set they've yet to unveil could be some heretic armor.
hoping for this so hard.

Also, was the mystery weapon listed in the beta strings anywhere?

Arteen
June 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Here's the beta strings (http://shawtyboy.com/Halo%20Reach%20Secret%20Information.txt)

For vehicles, we're missing the Revenant. Weapon-wise, we haven't seen the Battle Rifle, Missile Pod, or Flamethrower. For AAs, we haven't seen Ammo Pack, Power Fist, Repulsor, Sensor Pack, Super Jump, EMP Pulse, or Hologram.

Interestingly, the beta strings don't even list the Hammer of Dawn (or w/e it's called), but they did have the Concussion Rifle. So the beta strings are definitely an incomplete picture.

Rob Oplawar
June 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Is it just me, or does the female's arms look really really thin?

It's not just you. I hate the way the female arms look. I'm all for femininity, but these are Spartans we're talking about. I actually liked it better when you couldn't tell the gender of a Spartan until they took their helmet off- they're all giant muscular badasses, literally superhuman. I liked the idea that Spartans had lost so much of their own humanity in order to protect everyone else's humanity, and I liked to see that reflected in their appearance. That's why I love that bit of concept art that had some techs working on the armor of this giant man at least two feet taller than them.

But I just remembered these are Spartan IIIs we're talking about in Reach, so they're actually regular human soldiers with badass armor. Even so, that armor has thickness... her arms must be downright skeletal under there.
But the male Spartan models have the same problem- the person must be much smaller than they appear under all that armor. And if they made it more realistic, it would end up looking like Gears of War and while I love that game, I would hate to see giant bulky armor like that in a Halo game.

sevlag
June 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Here's the beta strings (http://shawtyboy.com/Halo%20Reach%20Secret%20Information.txt)

For vehicles, we're missing the Revenant. Weapon-wise, we haven't seen the Battle Rifle, Missile Pod, or Flamethrower. For AAs, we haven't seen Ammo Pack, Power Fist, Repulsor, Sensor Pack, Super Jump, EMP Pulse, or Hologram.

Interestingly, the beta strings don't even list the Hammer of Dawn (or w/e it's called), but they did have the Concussion Rifle. So the beta strings are definitely an incomplete picture.whats the revenant?

Teltaur
June 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Well, in case nobody's seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyWmnbni02U&feature=player_embedded

Shows plenty of new changes, features, etc. including new animations for many of the weapons we saw in the beta, red lights on the Shotgun sights instead of blue, new color scheme for the Needle Rifle, as well as a basically confirmed visor customization (look at the character in the last few seconds of the footage; it's either a bug or you can actually make your visor color black, which is more likely). And, confirmed campaign level in New Alexandria (the city in the background)

Delta4907
June 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
From that video you can also tell we'll be getting thigh and forearm armor to customize.

ODX
June 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'm really liking the addition of the initialize animations (when you first pick up a weapon), as well as the jumping/mid air animations.

Starting to finally look like a whole new game instead of just a huge Halo 3 mod.

TeeKup
June 20th, 2010, 01:36 AM
That Hunter beat the shit out of him.

ThePlague
June 20th, 2010, 04:16 AM
They need to have people playing that are actually good, because it pisses me off when I see people like that showing off something.

Spartan094
June 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM
From that video you can also tell we'll be getting thigh and forearm armor to customize.
I kinda gave that away in a edited armory picture. I took the beta strings and slapped what I thought was blurred out, turns out one of what I did was wrong but yeah...it's the beta strings.

hry
June 25th, 2010, 03:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVTHwwCjKLk

TeeKup
June 25th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Looks fun, but that guy was bad...like straight up didn't really care kind of bad.

sevlag
June 25th, 2010, 07:36 AM
finally we can actually use wraiths in firefight to stack the odds in the player's favor

Siliconmaster
June 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM
And in addition, difficulty now shifts with the number of players. No longer will we have to do 4 person co op on legendary just to make it a challenge. Yay!

Con
June 26th, 2010, 02:08 AM
That FRG explosion at 6:31 is really cool looking. Think you can replicate it, Ifafudafi? ;p

Arteen
June 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Man in the Mirror

And while we’re on the subject of getting glimpses, Ken Taya wants to know when we’re gonna reveal one of the multiplayer maps he’s been working on to our lovely at home audience. I keep telling him that Reflection just might be at the top of my Best Looking Halo Maps of All Time list, but he’s not happy with personal praise alone. He wants you to see it in its entire gob smacking glory. The warm wood floors, polished to a high gloss finish. The metal, the marble, and the mountains just outside the massive glass windows. The vibrant, turning hologram of planet Reach suspended above the central hall. The revelation that though this space has a spectacular new aesthetic – it’s all ensconced around a space you’re already intimately familiar with.

Did I tell you that when Marcus noted Reach’s multiplayer maps were taken straight from the campaign that we weren’t telling you the full story?

Ken tells me Reflection has the biggest cube map in the game. I have no idea what that means, but I’m not lying when I tell you that this sucker looks spectacular.
Sounds like Ivory Tower.

Rob Oplawar
June 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like Ivory Tower.

I hope so. That was always one of my favorite maps. I wonder how jetpacks would play out there, tho?
Heh, we'd have a lot less of one team crouching at the top of the elevator and the other team trying to coordinate an offensive to break their position. That's too bad, I actually kind of liked that.

FRain
June 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM
lmfao i want to see an assassination anim called the codpiece inspection.
you stab him in the balls with your knife, and with his balls still attached, you slit his throat with the same knife.

ShadowSpartan
June 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Sounds like Ivory Tower.
From what I've seen in the beta, a couple of bitmaps and some strings ("ivorytower_glasshall", "ivorytower_balcony", etc), I think it's safe to assume the map is making a return.

sevlag
June 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
From what I've seen in the beta, a couple of bitmaps and some strings ("ivorytower_glasshall", "ivorytower_balcony", etc), I think it's safe to assume the map is making a return.
yay

Hotrod
June 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
On that note, wasn't there also a few things about Blood Gulch? Seeing as how Halo Reach is the closest game to Halo 1 out of the series, I would say that it's safe to assume a possible return of that as well.

ShadowSpartan
June 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
On that note, wasn't there also a few things about Blood Gulch? Seeing as how Halo Reach is the closest game to Halo 1 out of the series, I would say that it's safe to assume a possible return of that as well.
Yes, there is a string that mentions a gulch, "forge_gulch_name". There are a few other familiar names as well, "forge_ascension_name" and "forge_sanctuary_name".

Dwood
June 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Yes, there is a string that mentions a gulch, "forge_gulch_name". There are a few other familiar names as well, "forge_ascension_name" and "forge_sanctuary_name".

no "forge_yoyorast_name" ? :(

On a slightly more serious note, is that all that seems to be making a comeback?

Arteen
June 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?19587-Reach-Halo-Reach-Discussion&p=534166&viewfull=1#post534166
aftship
ivorytower
launchstation
panoptical
spire
forge_arena
forge_ascension
forge_badlands
forge_gulch
forge_sanctuary
forge_island

FRain
June 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Is that seriously going to be it for MP maps?

Futzy
June 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure they took those names from map assets and since not all maps share their assets they aren't all going to be there. It'll probably be around 15(?) or so like the other games

FireDragon04
June 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if bungie adds extra maps on top of the usual load of MP/FF maps that are just for forge and allows players to create their own maps from levels that aren't made specifically for multiplayer yet. Would be cool though, and we would get such a wide range of different experiences doing it this way, rather than forge specific Multiplayer levels like Foundry and Sandbox.

Ivory tower would be cool to see in Reach, I would like some larger more vehicular based MP maps too though, such as 'The Gulch' but alas the only one we saw in the beta was the Invasion map Boneyard. I'm sure over the next 2 months bungie with release a plethora of information about Multiplayer and some more tidbits about Single Player.

Kornman00
June 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
The MP map count has actually gone down by one for each game (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5875/halo_reach__the_beta_story.php) that's been released (not intentional). They've said they're about quality over quantity. If by coincidence Reach follows this magical pattern the game will have 10 maps.

The content that was in the public beta was in no way representative of what all you can expect from the final game. I'd be willing to bet that they have a process which can scrub some/all sensitive information when building cache files. Those forge_* names could just be something internally related for testing different forge ideas or potential retail forge map(s).

On top of the new game types and customization for them, forge 2.0 and then later DLC, one or two less maps than what Halo 3 had won't be all that big of a deal TBH. Oh, and let's not forget Firefight 2.0.

Dwood
June 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I hope they put more emphasis on SP level design and such for Reach than any other previous title.

Spartan094
July 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/070210/no_lack_of_vision.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/070210/Face_First.jpg

Welp I was right about the visor color change. And you know which 2 are gonna be above it. Thou I'm slightly confused what is under the Knee Guard text.

I think 50000cR for the visor color change is a bit extreme unless they upped the credits you receive each game.

Teltaur
July 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
And you know which 2 are gonna be above it. Thou I'm slightly confused what is under the Knee Guard text.

I'm assuming the 3 empty slots are Thigh, Wrist, and Belt/Waist (notice the grenades on the character in the above screenshot?), although obviously worded differently to match the blurred areas.

We already knew thigh and wrist, so unless the waist attachments are somehow tied to either chest or thigh, that'd have to be the last slot.

Spartan094
July 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm assuming the 3 empty slots are Thigh, Wrist, and Belt/Waist (notice the grenades on the character in the above screenshot?), although obviously worded differently to match the blurred areas.

We already knew thigh and wrist, so unless the waist attachments are somehow tied to either chest or thigh, that'd have to be the last slot.

No, no thigh, no belt/waist.

Ugh, picture in spoiler.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/no_lack_of_vision.png
The Paint Scheme or Camo Pattern I have issues with. Seeing Camo Pattern was where FIREFIGHT Voice was until bungie put it up and it was firefight voice.

Teltaur
July 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well, that probably would make sense, then, considering we haven't seen a single screenshot with both an attachment to the thigh and waist, so I guess it'd all go under utility. And I was kind of figuring the camo pattern might be under Colors, even though I was also expecting visor color to be there too.

So, I guess it'd most likely be the camo pattern, even though I'd hope we have one last customization option and camo ends up just going into Colors.

Darqeness
July 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-space-halo-reach/701419

Here's some space combat gameplay. Looks like we'll be facing Seraphs, Phantoms and another new Covenant spacecraft. Also docking. It's given me hope for a space station to space combat multiplayer level like assault mode in Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Rob Oplawar
July 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Nah, they already said that there is no space combat in mp; it's a one-off sp thing.

Hotrod
July 4th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Where's this new Covenant spacecraft? All I see are Banshees that are upside down, Seraphs and Phantoms.

ODX
July 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
like assault mode in Star Wars Battlefront 2.Oh my god that game was some of the greatest shit ever. If they made this multiplayer it'd be awesome.

Nah, they already said that there is no space combat in mp; it's a one-off sp thing.What the fuck Bungie, why would you do this to us?! D:

Lightning
July 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
FINALLY.

The put the animated HUD back in for the charge/delay on vehicle weapons. :D

t3h m00kz
July 7th, 2010, 11:42 PM
new video by the RvB guys on b.net. they're showing off a gigantic map.

mgFy83gAL1Y

What the fuck Bungie, why would you do this to us?! D:

Be thankful we're getting epic space battles in the first place.

Siliconmaster
July 8th, 2010, 12:29 AM
new video by the RvB guys on b.net. they're showing off a gigantic map.

You understater, you :3

t3h m00kz
July 8th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I was originally going to say huge.

Siliconmaster
July 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I was originally going to say huge.

I was referring more to the importance of the map itself, the name of which has not been mentioned here yet. :P

FRain
July 8th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Does anyone notice that Simmons is wearing a chestplate with a pinney, and his knife is on the bottom end of his chestplate, rather than top.
I want to make my knife on my shoulder pauldron.

Siliconmaster
July 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
People on the HBO forums are pointing out all sorts of little tidbits:

The large walls are forgeable, since they disappear in some of the later shots.
There may be two sets of caves, both due to the camera angles and the repeated reference
There is definitely a Halo ring
References to flooding- speculation on flood based firefight mode?
Due to time it takes for tank shot to hit the cliff, just that distance must be ridiculous

Delta4907
July 8th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Does anyone notice that Simmons is wearing a chestplate with a pinney, and his knife is on the bottom end of his chestplate, rather than top.
I want to make my knife on my shoulder pauldron.
I think its only there because the hooded ghillie thing takes up the space where it normally is.

Heathen
July 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Blood Gulch.

It had yet to be mentioned.

English Mobster
July 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
That environment looks SUSPICIOUSLY like A30...
Plus the Halo ring... Hmm...

Here's my guess:
Noble team goes into space (as seen in E3).
Lands on Covie carrier, commanded by the future Arbiter.
Infiltrates the carrier (possibly Truth and Reconciliation? Remember, there was ammo and healthpacks aboard when the MC went in, so there had to be marines which went in there before the MC did).
Carrier follows the PoA to Halo. Noble team lands on Halo's surface in the same general area as A30, surrounded by Covies.
Noble team somehow gets the intel as to where the T&R is, or manages to spy Captain Keyes being taken prisoner. They report this to Cortana, who sets up a team to take back the carrier.
????
Profit.

Phopojijo
July 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Or it's multiplayer and is Bungie's last Halo game.

TeeKup
July 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
....Yeah I'm with phopojijo.

Kornman00
July 9th, 2010, 02:00 AM
That environment looks SUSPICIOUSLY like A30...
Since all the rings came from the same ring plant, I'm sure they all have the same blueprints thus making that possibly any Halo or just Bungie giving their past game which started this whole decade long awesome train a nod.

E: Also, RvB went BACK to it after being stationed in Halo 3, so it can't be the same Halo in Combat Evolved as that one was blown the fuck up :snafubar:

t3h m00kz
July 9th, 2010, 02:19 AM
RVB being in reach in the first place is a super uber mega time paradox. I look at it as non canon, I don't know how I do it.

Kornman00
July 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM
But they're never on Reach :P.

t3h m00kz
July 9th, 2010, 03:44 AM
fffffffffffffffff

LOGIC

MY ONLY WEAKNESS

EX12693
July 9th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Not all the rings have the same blueprints. The Alpha and Delta Halos had completely different control rooms...

English Mobster
July 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Or it's multiplayer and is Bungie's last Halo game.
You're forgetting that Bungie said every map is a part of the campaign.

=sw=warlord
July 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM
They also said that Halo 3 was their last Halo game, that You would be finishing the fight in earth for Halo 2 and that the Halo 2 and 3 announcement trailers were what the game's were going to look like.
Take everything bungie says with a grain of salt.

Teltaur
July 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
And, this:

Did I tell you that when Marcus noted Reach’s multiplayer maps were taken straight from the campaign that we weren’t telling you the full story?

I'd doubt we're making any return to a Halo ring for the campaign, especially considering they wouldn't want to pull another Halo 2. The fact that the Blood Gulch remake is on a Halo is probably just homage to the original.

Hunter
July 9th, 2010, 07:50 AM
What's with the random bird/animal noise at the end of the video? Is that to represent the scale of the map as it echo's or maybe to indicated animal life in multi-player? Would be cool to have some predators attack you.

Kornman00
July 9th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Interactive wildlife in MP sounds too much like a gimmick than something fun to me

Unless you can grab the flag and ride a horse like creature which breathes fire and shits pro-tube rounds back to your base.

Arteen
July 9th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Unless you can grab the flag and ride a horse like creature which breathes fire and shits pro-tube rounds back to your base.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Arteen/lolwut/Master-Chief-Riding-a-Unicorn-weari.jpg
Close enough?

Kornman00
July 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Rule 34: Not just for porn anymore :ugh:

ThePlague
July 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
That picture is amazing.

Spartan094
July 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
B10 is amazing on Halo..err

What I'm curious about the pic below is a beach if thats on blood gulch (which I just think it is) remake or what.
http://www.bungie.net/images/news/inline10/bungieday2010/b10_widenews.jpg
And the image name says B10.

Futzy
July 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
That lake is from behind the blue base on forge gulch

=sw=warlord
July 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
ATTN KORNMAN00:

Showstopper – Kill an opponent while they are performing an Assassination.

How it works: Assassinations (which have had many names internally throughout development) have a strike frame where the kill occurs. This enables players on the receiving end of an Assassination to be saved if their assailant is killed prior to the strike frame. Enter, the Showstopper Medal.

How interested parties will react: The guy performing the Assassination is going to pitch his controller and possibly his Xbox out of a window. The guy who earned the Showstopper is going to watch his friend stand up and walk away, unscathed.

That is all. (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_070910)

Spartan094
July 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh yay. Now only at Game Stop if you pre-order only there you get a special chest piece, wahooo, chest one of the chest pieces from the beta with the bottom grenade belt from Emile.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/Reach_Armor_bonusLG.jpg

Arteen
July 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM
B10 is amazing on Halo..err

What I'm curious about the pic below is a beach if thats on blood gulch (which I just think it is) remake or what.
http://www.bungie.net/images/news/inline10/bungieday2010/b10_widenews.jpg
And the image name says B10.
B10 could easily just stand for 'bungieday2010'.

Rob Oplawar
July 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I got the impression that by pre-ordering you get those unlocked by default but you can still unlock them the normal way, but maybe I'm wrong.
I'll be annoyed if that's the only way to get the grenade belt. I mean, I plan on preordering from gamestop anyway, but that sort of thing irritates me.

e: wait, I was annoyed if the bonus you get for preordering is unlockable anyway, and I was annoyed if they were going to give a bonus for preordering that nobody else would be able to get. I'm literally impossible to please in this instance! Maybe they just shouldn't be giving this sort of bonus. :P

ejburke
July 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I would only pre-order for a giant codpiece slathered in caution tape. Wait, no I wouldn't.

Spartan094
July 9th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Originally I think bungie said the grenada belt was gonna be unlocked in Halo Waypoint. Various other armors will be unlocked thru Waypoint and other H3/H3:ODST/Reach achievements I think that's what bungie said. Also purchasing armors makes you got up some percent for the armor you own EXCEPT for a few exceptions like pre-orders and such.

t3h m00kz
July 10th, 2010, 03:48 AM

I want source on that. I don't think I've heard them say "EVERY" map.

=sw=warlord
July 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I guess this means KM needs to get on Halowars more often so I can help him finish it off. :allears:

Futzy
July 10th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Oops i sold halo wars, have a couple more H3 achievements and a lot of ODST. Gamenights anyone?
E; playing btb on a 48 hour now, need 20 more exp for last vidmaster
gt: avp DRAGON

sevlag
July 11th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I guess this means KM needs to get on Halowars more often so I can help him finish it off. :allears:
speaking of halwars i need some help getting the skull on mission 1, the mission always ends before i can get to it

Delta4907
July 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/BWU_071610/InlineArmory.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/news/inline10/bwu_071610/Reach_InitialArmoryInventor.jpg
:iamafag:

ODX
July 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I would think people would be more happy to see this part of the update:

Now many people have cried foul over the closing shot in the video that featured Sarge in a hilariously stiff animation flying much further than a jetpack should travel while also carrying the flag. Truth is, that animation was so-bad-it’s-good but it was also a bug and has since been fixed. No leet hax were involved though because the game includes custom settings that let you turn on infinite armor ability energy as well as decide if you want to let people use an armor ability while holding an objective (similar to the toggle for driving a vehicle with a flag).

Yes, we guessed this but here's your confirmation.

Rob Oplawar
July 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm a tiny bit concerned about what appears to be the armor effects in that picture. I've always loved grunt birthday party, but I don't want to start seeing everybody flinging confetti around in multiplayer; seems it would sort of kill the mood. I'm hoping that if that's what it is it's only enabled in certain situations.

I'm guessing the voices are all grouped together- do you suppose the blue grid picture is standing in for the famous Halo announcer? Haha, that would be crazy.
Also, having Cortana as your firefight voice seems just weird. :P

e: Just so my post isn't all negative, I'm loving the variety on the armor permutations. I'm gonna have fun with this one.

Saggy
July 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM
So, some people are theorizing that the acronym for one of the levels which, if revealed, would spoil part of the campaign is PoA. What do you guys think?

ejburke
July 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I think the grid would be the NULL voice option.

If that other Sargeant is Sgt Stacker, that's what I'm going with.

So, some people are theorizing that the acronym for one of the levels which, if revealed, would spoil part of the campaign is PoA. What do you guys think?Makes sense. Then again, the level could be called "Piece of Ass" and they just don't want to get people's hopes up.

Spartan094
July 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm guessing the voices are all grouped together- do you suppose the blue grid picture is standing in for the famous Halo announcer? Haha, that would be crazy.

If so some funny speculation

Advancebo: chief is probably microsoft sam

Tbh the EOD helmet looks more like Dead Space to me for some reason.

Arteen
July 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm a tiny bit concerned about what appears to be the armor effects in that picture. I've always loved grunt birthday party, but I don't want to start seeing everybody flinging confetti around in multiplayer; seems it would sort of kill the mood. I'm hoping that if that's what it is it's only enabled in certain situations.
I'm guessing that the confetti and such is only visible to the player that has it enabled. Otherwise, it'd be a bit annoying.

The Halo announcer would be awesome. Cortana will be weird, but I really want to hear it. I wonder how much variety there will be in female voices.

I would think people would be more happy to see this part of the update:
<stuff\>
Yes, we guessed this but here's your confirmation.
Totally called that it was just a bug, and not some bizarre, pointless hack from RT. Other than that, Bungie did announce a long time ago that you could use AAs with objectives in custom games.

Kornman00
July 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
So, some people are theorizing that the acronym for one of the levels which, if revealed, would spoil part of the campaign is PoA. What do you guys think?
That or T&R, since I believe that cruiser was at Reach before Halo too wasn't it?

FRain
July 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Wonder why no one has pointed it out all though we pretty much called it:
Nathan Fillion/Buck bitches!

t3h m00kz
July 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
looks like they're finally showing Jun and Jorge's face.

And Carter's new hairstyle.

Siliconmaster
July 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM
looks like they're finally showing Jun and Jorge's face

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that- LMAO- does he have a moustache? EPIC.

Heathen
July 17th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Whats with the lightening and stink [?] around the helmets? Like the fire for bungie except lightning and farts?

TeeKup
July 17th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Oh fuck yes. I am SO being a goddamn stormtrooper. HAH.

Also hell yes if that is Sgt Stacker. By far one of my favorite NPCs.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I figured he was probably Mendez

Doesn't Stacker have a goatee like his voice actor?

ejburke
July 17th, 2010, 01:56 AM
The Pig-Pen armor effect just corroborates my theory that Bungie is using their final Halo game to pay homage to Snoopy: Flying Ace.

Saggy
July 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
That or T&R, since I believe that cruiser was at Reach before Halo too wasn't it?

I've never read the book, but from what I gather from the intro of Halo: Combat Evolved, T&R chased the PoA from Reach to where they found Halo.

Also, one of the multiplayer maps shown in a ViDoc was set in what appeared to be a Covenant ship. Maybe we will potentially be boarding the T&R, or perhaps one of the others at Reach.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Which goes along with the theory that those human supplies found on the ship were actually from an earlier human encounter which wasn't from PoA crew...

=sw=warlord
July 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Which goes along with the theory that those human supplies found on the ship were actually from an earlier human encounter which wasn't from PoA crew...

Or that they were confiscated from the crews being stored there.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Pretty sure the Cov wouldn't have the gear thrown about since it is after all Human gear, which they view as sinful material, but whatever, I was just acknowledging someone else's theorizing.

=sw=warlord
July 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Pretty sure the Cov wouldn't have the gear thrown about since it is after all Human gear, which they view as sinful material, but whatever, I was just acknowledging someone else's theorizing.

Most of the human gear I found was in corners in the hanger bay and in empty prison cells.
Could be I need to go through that level again but That's what i remember and and that would be a pretty reasonable excuse for the gear being on board as I doubt the covenant would want their captives having ammo even if they didn't have weapons.
A more important question would be, Why did the covenant take captives in the first place?
They weren't known for taking prisoners which would beg the question why have so many cells if you didn't take captives.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 02:44 PM
If you recall from Halo 2, they kept Jackels in the brig, so it's not just for humans, but for heretics as well.

If you recall Halo 1, 2, 3 and Halo Wars, they need humans to activate Halo or interface with anything Forerunner.

=sw=warlord
July 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
If you recall from Halo 2, they kept Jackels in the brig, so it's not just for humans, but for heretics as well.

If you recall Halo 1, 2, 3 and Halo Wars, they need humans to activate Halo or interface with anything Forerunner.

Halo 2 was the first time they used a human to try and activate a Halo.
Could be they didn't realise that humans were the only ones capable of freely activating the Halos plus they didn't have the index, In halo wars the prophet of regret only had small trouble activating the forerunner tech and only used a human then because it would be quicker.
Also in halo 2 the imperial elites and heretics had no double either side opening doors and what not on the gas station.

Pooky
July 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
A more important question would be, Why did the covenant take captives in the first place?
They weren't known for taking prisoners which would beg the question why have so many cells if you didn't take captives.

If I recall correctly, at the time of Halo 1 the Covenant still had a lot to learn about humanity, and the military in particular. It's possible that they just wanted prisoners for interrogation. Isn't that why people usually take prisoners?

Actually, I think a better guess is that they took prisoners just so that the Master Chief could have an objective for the third level of the game.

=sw=warlord
July 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
If I recall correctly, at the time of Halo 1 the Covenant still had a lot to learn about humanity, and the military in particular. It's possible that they just wanted prisoners for interrogation. Isn't that why people usually take prisoners?

In the book "the flood" it was claimed the covenant didn't take prisoners as they felt it was beneath them to learn about what they saw as lower than " the infection" aka the flood.
the Elite zealots actually considered hunting the humans almost as sport and got competitive over first kills and most kills.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Halo 2 was the first time they used a human to try and activate a Halo.
Could be they didn't realise that humans were the only ones capable of freely activating the Halos plus they didn't have the index, In halo wars the prophet of regret only had small trouble activating the forerunner tech and only used a human then because it would be quicker.
And Halo 1 was the first time the covies tried activating a Halo ring, something the prophets, who boss all other races around, knew required the touch of a human. The humans were just successful in reclaiming the Cpt & Co. and proceed to the control room themselves before any elites or what not could. The prophets called all things human heresy but at the end of the day, they know they need them, so they'll just as easily order a squad to capture a few.

He used Anderson because he HAD to. Only a "reclaimer" can activate the rings and other Forerunner constructs. "Reclaimer (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Reclaimer)" is a category none of the Covenant races have ever fallen under.

Also in halo 2 the imperial elites and heretics had no double either side opening doors and what not on the gas station.
What the fuck did you just say, I don't even...

that station hovering in the gas planet's atmosphere was a Forerunner facility...so uh, what does that have to do with elites and "double either" sided doors?

CodeBrain
July 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM
What the fuck did you just say, I don't even...

that station hovering in the gas planet's atmosphere was a Forerunner facility...so uh, what does that have to do with elites and "double either" sided doors?

I think double is meant to be trouble, which does make sense since the heretic elites and grunts can open the forerunner doors on the gas giant without any problems.

=sw=warlord
July 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM
And Halo 1 was the first time the covies tried activating a Halo ring, something the prophets, who boss all other races around, knew required the touch of a human. The humans were just successful in reclaiming the Cpt & Co. and proceed to the control room themselves before any elites or what not could. The prophets called all things human heresy but at the end of the day, they know they need them, so they'll just as easily order a squad to capture a few.
Alpha Halo was the first halo the covenant had found and since the covenant had little trouble using the forerunner tech at other places [halo wars harvest] they may have thought it to be possible on halo as well.
He used Anderson because he HAD to. Only a "reclaimer" can activate the rings and other Forerunner constructs.
The prophet himself had said it was possible because until they got to the shield world they didn't use humans to activate the forerunner tech;"The key will be found with patience but perhaps there is another way, the girl from the ice relic, she has some knowledge in this regard, go find her and bring her to me."
"Reclaimer (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Reclaimer)" is a category none of the Covenant races have ever fallen under.

What the fuck did you just say, I don't even... -Excuse the typos I was extremely tired yesterday was suppposed to be trouble not double, no need to rage:realsmug:

that station hovering in the gas planet's atmosphere was a Forerunner facility...so uh, what does that have to do with elites.
The gas station was forerunner, if by your logic the covenant elites would not have been able to to use any technology including doors, there is a scene where the spec ops elites use a control at a door to open it, same kind of control you see else where on different installations.
Just because 343 guilty Spark was teaching the heretics doesn't change the fact that your logic suggests only reclaimers can use the technology this would mean the Monitor would know of other species under the reclaimer species group.
Ugh, I had a whopping 13 hour sleep yesterday and all it did was make me more tired.
Go play through Halo 2 on the heretic levels to see what I mean about the elites having little trouble opening doors, Don't just dismiss it as automatic as there's fucking flood on the installation.

Arteen
July 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
"I would conjecture that the other species currently on the installation is responsible for releasing the Flood. They seem most persistent in their attempts to access restricted areas."
I'd guess that Forerunner stuff just happens to have different security levels. Most random doorways and bridges have no security restrictions. Galaxy-killing doomsday devices do.

=sw=warlord
July 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM
"I would conjecture that the other species currently on the installation is responsible for releasing the Flood. They seem most persistent in their attempts to access restricted areas."
I'd guess that Forerunner stuff just happens to have different security levels. Most random doorways and bridges have no security restrictions. Galaxy-killing doomsday devices do.

And releasing life extermination infections don't?

Arteen
July 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
"They seem most persistent in their attempts to access restricted areas."
It sounds to me like they weren't allowed to release the Flood, but forced their way in (e.g. explosives).

"This mining facility predates Installation Alpha by several hundred years. It was retrofitted to research possible offensive and defensive measures against the Flood. Indeed, I designed and oversaw the construction of this facility's various outbreak management systems."
Also, the facility wasn't intended to hold Flood in the first place. It was retrofitted.

=sw=warlord
July 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
"They seem most persistent in their attempts to access restricted areas."
It sounds to me like they weren't allowed to release the Flood, but forced their way in (e.g. explosives).

"This mining facility predates Installation Alpha by several hundred years. It was retrofitted to research possible offensive and defensive measures against the Flood. Indeed, I designed and oversaw the construction of this facility's various outbreak management systems."
Also, the facility wasn't intended to hold Flood in the first place. It was retrofitted.

and what about harvest, the arbiter and his troops following regrets advice managed to use the forerunner map room to find arcadia.

Futzy
July 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
what are you even arguing about

ThePlague
July 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM
what are you even arguing about
They're getting too into the game details.

Kornman00
July 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
and what about harvest, the arbiter and his troops following regrets advice managed to use the forerunner map room to find arcadia.
That's never a proven fact (the map display is inactive during the cutscene and they mention nothing of activating it). In fact, right when the invisible elites decloak and start attacking them at the map room, the map display immediately shuts down.

FRain
July 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
All good things must come to an end. As we march ever closer to the release of Halo: Reach, the server team continues to prepare for the upcoming onslaught of players and their stats and content. To that end, consider this your approximate 24 hour notice for rendering films from the Halo: Reach Beta. Tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon, we will disable video rendering for Reach. After that, you will have an additional 24 hours to grab anything else from the beta that you wish to save. On Wednesday afternoon, we will be disabling all Reach beta stats and file access.

Let's say that again, so everyone notices: Halo:Reach beta stats and files will be disabled on Wednesday (July 21st) afternoon, Video Rendering will be disabled on July 20th..

jcap
July 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Uh, you can still render Reach beta films? What? Who even cares anymore? Also, Bungie is massively stupid for requiring Pro to render films for the beta. They could have gotten even more bug proof if anyone could render.

They're getting too into the game details.
"I'm a bigger halo nerd than you!!1!"

:realsmug:

Kornman00
July 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM
"I'm a bigger halo nerd than you!!1!"

:realsmug:
Says the guy who helped spawn a website for a flopped game then for a flopped modding community :snafubar:

=sw=warlord
July 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Says the guy who helped spawn a website for a flopped game then for a flopped modding community :snafubar:

Grenanade bungie day 09.:allears:

Arteen
July 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Uh, you can still render Reach beta films? What? Who even cares anymore? Also, Bungie is massively stupid for requiring Pro to render films for the beta. They could have gotten even more bug proof if anyone could render.
It could have been too expensive, overwhelmed their video-rendering hydra, or just not be necessary to extensively test.

=sw=warlord
July 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
That's never a proven fact (the map display is inactive during the cutscene and they mention nothing of activating it). In fact, right when the invisible elites decloak and start attacking them at the map room, the map display immediately shuts down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsB1NNAwE4k
"we must protect what we have learned here"
There it is right there, the prophet of regret mentioning they had gained information from forerunner tech without human assistance.
Also they re-purposed the dreadnought to power high charity long before they encountered humans.

Your move friend:allears:

DarkHalo003
July 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
I think anyone can activate standard Forerunner tech, but I think only Reclaimers can activate major things, like the switch at the Ark that sets off all of the Halo rings.

Arteen
July 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM
It's just a map room, not a doomsday device. Covies have always been able to use most Forerunner technology; all of their technology is Forerunner-based. They just don't have full security clearance to release intergalactic horrors or sterilize the galaxy.

Siliconmaster
July 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Think of it as computer hacking- even if they don't have clearance, they can still hack into the lower stuff, like doorways, map rooms, etc. But there's so much security on the major switches that you need the actual password/DNA to activate them.