PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Futzy
October 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
The progression curve post-cap is a part of a file that gets passed down via networking, so theoretically the military ranks after the cap could have the deltas between them change.

Another reason for this, in the event that player earn rates were off from what we posited - i.e. players earned tons more or tons less than we believed they would in-game - we could've made adjustments to the military ranks beyond the cap.

Interesting feedback, though

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23754091&postcount=6581

Arteen
October 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Sure, the rank cap prevents me from buying all those Commander-rank armory items, but there's still a bunch of other stuff to buy, so it's not like I'm earning a bunch of credits with nothing to use them on. I'd have to put in the time investment either way. Heck, now that I don't have a progress bar to fill, I don't feel pressured to earn every credit I can.

Warsaw
October 8th, 2010, 07:21 PM
"Gameplay" not meaning just skill. Having a sniper rifle that actually connects with whatever you shot it at no matter what your latency is a hell of a lot less frustrating than one that does it whenever it feels like your ping is good enough.

It would make it harder for players to dominate a battlefield with a sniper rifle. As it is, it takes out just about any vehicle it hits (which is fine, but it's complete bull when all you have to do is point and shoot), and a player can pop multiple headshots off on a whim...even Halo 1 sniping was harder than Halo Reach. Matchmaking does a pretty damn good job managing your ping, it isn't like Halo PC where you lead once for the bullet, and then double it to compensate for lag.

p0lar_bear
October 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Also, not to be a dick, but anyone complaining about the level cap has nobody to blame but themselves. Besides the economy reason they gave, I'm pretty sure Bungie's giving y'all a signal to slow down, try doing other things with the game in the meantime, like do more customs, forge some maps, firefight, etc. Get the most out of the game, more than what nets you cR quickly.

=sw=warlord
October 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM
There is one thing alot of people might not think of at first glance, something Limited raged about when I mentioned.
Bungie are still cementing the final Cr required for ranks, it may be that somewhere down the road they may move the goal posts slightly and increase or decrease Cr required for certain ranks.
For instance highest rank is currently inheritor at a huge 20M Cr.

DarkHalo003
October 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM
What are your thoughts Arteen, about DLC and other content that are on the disk, but locked on launch? Considering that is affectively what Bungie have done, yes its available offline, so technically, we are paying more money, and we get even less content.

Oh and you might all be reading my posts and being like "oh hes butthurt as hes hit the level cap"...yes I am, all the low rank armour pieces are absolute shite.
No. No no no no no. That is a very shitty argument. You will get your rank cap removed and all your accessories soon. It's not like they decided to place it to con us for our money. That's not it at all.

Donut
October 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM
what is this about locked on-disk DLC?

jcap
October 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM
But the thing is...why even bother with having a cap in place? They've said twice already that you can keep earning credits and leap forward several ranks once they lift the cap...so why even bother having it?

Really, it's fucking stupid. I really don't care, as long as I can keep earning credits, but it's really stupid to have such a pointless cap in place.

ejburke
October 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I think we're looking at it the wrong way. The ranks themselves are pointless. Perhaps curbing people's pursuit of a pointless objective has a point unto itself.

Sure, credits still count, but the immediate gratification is gone. Instead of poop-socking into the wee hours to get to the next rank, people are choosing to get up and use the toilet and going to bed at a reasonable hour. Hopefully when the cap is finally lifted, people will have found an equilibrium.

sevlag
October 8th, 2010, 09:08 PM
what is this about locked on-disk DLC?i'd like to know about this too

Futzy
October 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
But the thing is...why even bother with having a cap in place? They've said twice already that you can keep earning credits and leap forward several ranks once they lift the cap...so why even bother having it?

Really, it's fucking stupid. I really don't care, as long as I can keep earning credits, but it's really stupid to have such a pointless cap in place.
To gauge how quickly people are earning credits and adjust the amounts required after the cap accordingly.

Spartan094
October 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
You know, there are other things to do when you are at Lt. Colonel Grade 3 like go forge, custom or even, oshi go out-side and hang out with friends (assuming they are not your half across the US or across the Ocean).

Also I wanna know what this locked DLC is on the disc.

Futzy
October 8th, 2010, 09:34 PM
There is no locked dlc on the disc. He's talking about armor.

Limited
October 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM
1% are Lt Colonel? BS, theres 6 in this one game..
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=190597762&player=Limited55

I owned though, +13 :D

Oh yeah, no DLC on the disk and I think you cant have DLC armour

PlasbianX
October 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Im pretty sure the recon helmet is DLC. I know its an actual file saved on your HDD, cause its not linked to your account. I didnt have it on my account when i copied my profile over from my HDD to my flash drive. Had to copy the actual file for the helmet.

So I do believe there can be DLC armor.

Limited
October 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Im pretty sure the recon helmet is DLC. I know its an actual file saved on your HDD, cause its not linked to your account. I didnt have it on my account when i copied my profile over from my HDD to my flash drive. Had to copy the actual file for the helmet.

So I do believe there can be DLC armor.
Okay, to clarify, there cannot be any DLC armour, that isnt on the disk already...I think :D

DEElekgolo
October 9th, 2010, 12:47 AM
There is no locked, on disc DLC.

Kornman00
October 9th, 2010, 03:18 AM
The ranks themselves are pointless.
Not so. The ranks restrict what you can and cannot buy. I want to customize my SIII a certain way. That way requires me to buy, eg, shoulder pads which require the rank of at least Commander. The cap is at LTC3, the grade RIGHT before Commander. They're not mentioning when the cap will be lifted so I, or anyone else, can't safely spend credits without knowing if I'll have enough to buy the shit I was saving up for to fucking begin with when the cap is finally lifted.

It's like having some toy manufacture say 'oh well we're done producing toy X, but here, buy and play with toy Y while we sit on X for a while and rethink it. We'll let you know later'. However, you've been saving up for toy Y and you won't know if you'll have enough cash around to purchase the shit you've actually been waiting and saving for when it comes out. You don't want to settle for second best as a appetizer.

They have the bone. Now throw us it.

E: The recon helmet appears at Commander IIRC. Or you could enter a redeem code which puts a DLC-based dohicky on your box telling the game, hey, you can haz recon now.

ejburke
October 9th, 2010, 03:49 AM
To be fair, I think all the armor looks kind of shitty. So that probably explains my indifference toward the cap.

Kornman00
October 9th, 2010, 04:08 AM
That may be so, but you might as well find some kind of way to enjoy the "rewards" of earning commendations during gameplay as you try to continue to earn even more (or beat challenges).

They should have opted for a pimp hat helmet instead of the skull variant tbh. Then have a cane for a robotic arm variant. Then a utility which causes your player to limp. Then a wrist item which causes your melees to turn to back hand slaps...

Oh and a armor effect which spawns holograms of bitches, just like how Heart Attack spawns little itty bitty flying hearts from your body (and more when you take damage).

Timo
October 9th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Are you guys really that concerned about pretty armour? How often do you look at anybody else's loadout?

t3h m00kz
October 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
It would make it harder for players to dominate a battlefield with a sniper rifle. As it is, it takes out just about any vehicle it hits (which is fine, but it's complete bull when all you have to do is point and shoot), and a player can pop multiple headshots off on a whim...even Halo 1 sniping was harder than Halo Reach. Matchmaking does a pretty damn good job managing your ping, it isn't like Halo PC where you lead once for the bullet, and then double it to compensate for lag.

halo PC still had auto aim, even with the leading. your cone of auto-aim still persists. you're not leading your shots themselves as much as you are your cone of effectiveness. Xbox LAN had lag too (roughly 20 ms, enough to be noticeable), and required leading. Play Xbox Connect and you'll see what I'm talking about. It wasn't because of the game mechanics as much as it was a side effect of poor networking on Bungie's part. the only reason you had to lead was because of the stupid half-assed netcode.

As far as mechanics... the sniper in Halo 1 had so much more auto-aim than in any other Halo game. the 2X scope made it easier to hit targets from mid-range, and the range was much further. faster rate of fire, no kickback. Oh, and you didn't zoom out when you got shot. they changed it to a 5X scope and gave it kickback for balance because it tightens the auto-aim cone and makes it less of a spammable mid-range weapon and more of a long-range "I have to pace my shots to be accurate" weapon.

The sniper does NOT dominate matches. You can hold back snipers with the DMR, since it unscopes them when they're hit. all you have to do is use some team tactics to close the gap and they're fucked. there's always a way to counter a sniper.

=sw=warlord
October 9th, 2010, 05:40 AM
To gauge how quickly people are earning credits and adjust the amounts required after the cap accordingly.

Precisely this and yet there are so many people who keep overlooking this.
Bungie have said themselves they weren't sure just what the average credits gained per match would be and the average rank over time would be.
It seems to me that they not only want the rest of the community to catch up but ultimately want to find a happy medium between credits and rank, like i said the highest rank currently is 20M more than enough to buy every item in game.

Futzy
October 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
MJOLNIR MK. V - purchased
Achievement Unlocked
1000/1000
:iamafag:

sevlag
October 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM
MJOLNIR MK. V - purchased
Achievement Unlocked
1000/1000
:iamafag:
yes...yes you are

t3h m00kz
October 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM
fuckin ranks

I'll get there eventually

just you wait till I'm sporting my Security helmet...

Futzy
October 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Security is unlocked on the last rank hth

Ellis
October 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Wow like seriously? Security at Inheritor? Or is Inheritor truly Bungie only?

Futzy
October 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Inheritor is the last rank, yes.

Ellis
October 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Wow. Guess we won't see very much of Security from the helmet or the shoulders. I noticed the only things not unlocked at Brigadier is the Security Armor Variants. At least going by Armor Perm's on Halopedia, Mark V Shoulders, Sniper Shoulders, Mark VI Helmet, are all unlocked at Brigadier. O.o Makes the rest of the ranks seem pretty pointless after that. :P

Spartan094
October 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Meh, reached Lt. Colonel and uh

Bought MJOLNIR Mark V
then
975/1000

I still need Wake up, Buttercup

Futzy
October 9th, 2010, 04:01 PM
My Spartan progression throughout halo.
http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/reach/spartanssmall.jpg

Larger http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/reach/spartans.jpg

Didn't have any way to take a pic of a halo 2 spartan so if someone could help me take one that'd be great

Spartan094
October 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
You know AVP if you had H2V you could download the app for movie making and such supersniper posted. I have H2V if you want me to do it.

DarkHalo003
October 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I might actually not get the MarkV this go around. I'm very content with the ODST armor I have. We'll definitely have to see though.

The only problem I have with Forge's Selection is the fact that there aren't any curvy building blocks and there is a big limit on using those blocks for a bigger structure due to the lack of parts. My Tower of Babel map is difficult to make in this aspect because I'm running lower and lower on building blocks and making walls for it is a task due to having to have the measurements %100 correct for an Octagon to work.

Limited
October 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
PPPPPPPPERFECTION :D, In Arena which goes to 50

Yes I whored sniper and shottie :D
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=197884471&player=Limited55
Last 2 kills to reach 50 I hung back because I realised then I had 0 deaths :D

Kornman00
October 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
You damn wanker

go drive your jag or somethin'

DarkHalo003
October 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
PPPPPPPPERFECTION :D, In Arena which goes to 50

Yes I whored sniper and shottie :D
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=197884471&player=Limited55
Last 2 kills to reach 50 I hung back because I realised then I had 0 deaths :D
PPPPFFFFFFFFFFF Gary Oak did it first.

I did it second. And yes, I whored the sniper, rockets, grenades, and sword with Active Camo (which to use right takes some sort of skill?).
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=77508279&player=DarkHalo003

Futzy
October 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
You know AVP if you had H2V you could download the app for movie making and such supersniper posted. I have H2V if you want me to do it.
Sure, If you can get the same colors, camera angle, and pose.
The original shot was taken with the Reach spartan in it, so that is the angle I used for them all.

TeeKup
October 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I have discovered something amazing.
GGhZj8cAR7w

Futzy
October 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Yep, I used that in my Legendary solo run. Fun was had.
In the Legendary commentary they said it was their goal to make every vehicle you could see drivable. The couple of trucks in the courtyard of Winter Contingency were the only exception.

PlasbianX
October 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Friends and I bought an HD PVR yesterday. Working on recording some ingame footage and making a little video. Got some epic kills already lol. Like my friend rushed a guy and assassinated him, had a guy behind him about to assassinate him, and he fucking jumps backwards over the other guy and assassinates him for the double kill assassination lol. That, and I got a kill on the cage where I threw a grenade that hit the sniper onto the lift on The Cage, I caught it, and sniped a guy who was on the lift chasing the sniper xD

Ellis
October 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=5517750&player=Zack%20Ronin

So I rendered this, first one I did. I didn't know SD was such a lousy quality. All future renders will be in HD. Still I'm happy with how I cut the clip. Enjoy :P And I still love this game today.

Limited
October 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hmm, I just thought, perhaps the level cap is partly to do with CoD release date. Like a week before it gets released, Bungie will lift the cap at an attempt to get back some people that are on the fence :O

Would be interesting if cap was lifted around CoD release date

Pooky
October 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Shut up. You're acting like a complete ars. By your logic, no matter what choice Bungie makes, I'll agree because I agree with many things in Reach's design because I find the game fun.

No, I just think you have no idea what you're talking about half the time.

As far as mechanics... the sniper in Halo 1 had so much more auto-aim than in any other Halo game. the 2X scope made it easier to hit targets from mid-range, and the range was much further. faster rate of fire, no kickback.

Speaking of.

The thing with sniping in Halo 1 is that the player hitboxes were considerably smaller than any of the more recent games. Bullet magnetism is an entirely different factor from autoaim, and I should add that the Halo 1 sniper had dramatically less range than the Reach sniper. You can snipe people all the way across Forge World with the Reach sniper, you'd never be able to do that in Halo 1.

Oh, and you didn't zoom out when you got shot.

Of course you zoomed out when you got shot, are you serious?

Futzy
October 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Oh good they made the sniper zoom out when you press y and don't have a secondary weapon. That's the only way I zoom out and it alway tripped me up in Halo 3 since the snipers gametype didnt have a secondary.

DarkHalo003
October 10th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Yep, I used that in my Legendary solo run. Fun was had.
In the Legendary commentary they said it was their goal to make every vehicle you could see drivable. The couple of trucks in the courtyard of Winter Contingency were the only exception.
On Winter Contingency, I used that Pseudo-hog to run over all of the Ultras and Elites where you have to defend the LZ and survivors. It makes the job so much easier.

@Pooky: Why? Just because you happen to die half of the time from some things and ragepost half of your posts doesn't mean it's a gameplay flaw. A gameplay flaw is when frag grenades kill you in one throw and having a starting weapon can rule the entire game. As cool as the DMR is, I would much prefer AR starts thank you very much.

Futzy
October 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqPM7ynqFo
This might help some of you out on your legendary run of poa

Kornman00
October 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hmm, I just thought, perhaps the level cap is partly to do with CoD release date. Like a week before it gets released, Bungie will lift the cap at an attempt to get back some people that are on the fence :O

Would be interesting if cap was lifted around CoD release date
If that's the reason, I can live with it. Mainly because I don't give a handful of flying rats and their asses about CoD :-3. Also, it might have been MS to nudge Bungie into doing that...most of them are moving on after all.

TeeKup
October 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=5517750&player=Zack%20Ronin

So I rendered this, first one I did. I didn't know SD was such a lousy quality. All future renders will be in HD. Still I'm happy with how I cut the clip. Enjoy :P And I still love this game today.

Evade is a Wraiths worst nightmare. I use tanks... A LOT. It's the people using Evade on me I tend to get pissed at. Especially when they rush over to my side of the map with a revenant and board me instantly either because I missed my shot because I fucked up or because I'm not paying good enough attention. Let me at least get like 5 kills in before you start the douche baggery.

REALLY urks me. >_____>

Ellis
October 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evade is definitely win. Its a million times better than Sprint that's for sure, and I love using it on Wraiths. Sorry man but those guys stole both Wraiths and were spawn camping, and I kept telling my team to handle the problem. They couldn't. Hence the title If You Want Something Done Right... :P And for the record those two guys -were- on spree's as you can see, I got two kill joys, and then went on a spree on my own with the second kill :P

t3h m00kz
October 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Speaking of.

The thing with sniping in Halo 1 is that the player hitboxes were considerably smaller than any of the more recent games. Bullet magnetism is an entirely different factor from autoaim, and I should add that the Halo 1 sniper had dramatically less range than the Reach sniper. You can snipe people all the way across Forge World with the Reach sniper, you'd never be able to do that in Halo 1.

Of course you zoomed out when you got shot, are you serious?

Not in the PC version at least

probably a networking thing

E: Actually, I've noticed times where people will be shooting me and I'll zoom out, though I've taken no damage. Yet, it's possible to take damage and not zoom out. I'm willing to bet if you shoot someone straight on (not leading) in Halo PC while they're zoomed in, it'll make them zoom out.

Also, collision on the Reach models is no bigger than it was in Halo 1. If anything it's the auto aim. Compare the collision when betraying. No easier to betray someone in reach than it is in Halo 1.

TeeKup
October 11th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Evade is definitely win. Its a million times better than Sprint that's for sure, and I love using it on Wraiths. Sorry man but those guys stole both Wraiths and were spawn camping, and I kept telling my team to handle the problem. They couldn't. Hence the title If You Want Something Done Right... :P And for the record those two guys -were- on spree's as you can see, I got two kill joys, and then went on a spree on my own with the second kill :P

Oh I very much approve, they were using the Wraith incorrectly hence why they got fucked up. The Wraith is a support weapon all in all, if you're in the front assaulting the base like that, you're just ASKING to get fucked up. The safety of your Wraith can be almost guaranteed in front of your base or close to midfield depending on how the combat is flowing. Never take a tank head on into combat, that's just stupid. The audacity and bravado of such an act will come back to bite you in the ass, very soon.

I was a titan in the Scorpion, but the Wraith has it's own devastating flavor of combat; I'll gladly hop in either one. :-3

DarkHalo003
October 11th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evade and Active Camo are my two most favorite loadouts in Big Team Battle. I use Evade mainly for dodging grenades versus destroying tanks though. I use Active Camo to pick away at whatever infantry is unfortunate enough to be sticking out in the middle of Hemmorhage.

sevlag
October 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
so many children on bent whining about how OP armor lock is, and when you read their post 9 out of 10 times they ADMIT to standing next to the guy like an idiot waiting for the dude to come out of lock

Hotrod
October 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Armor lock is amazingly useful when used properly (especially against idiots mentioned above who just sit right beside it and wait), yet is easily countered if you know how to do so. Active Camo is my least favourite of all the abilities, cause I suck ass when trying to use it :/

mech
October 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
@ pook

Double melee kills are ridiculous; essentially, they're as powerful as the sniper. But, I'm not complaining since I sploit the fuck out of it. Just remember to always have a pistol or a precision weapon with you for the headshot after first contact. I do agree that melees should definitely not be a 2 hit kill, but it's avoidable in most cases.

DarkHalo003
October 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Armor lock is amazingly useful when used properly (especially against idiots mentioned above who just sit right beside it and wait), yet is easily countered if you know how to do so. Active Camo is my least favourite of all the abilities, cause I suck ass when trying to use it :/
See, it's backwards for me. I suck using armor lock regularly; I'm only decent with it in Elite Slayer where everyone has a ghost. But I'm very good with active camo under normal conditions.

p0lar_bear
October 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Armor Lock is my AA of choice in rumble pit and small team playlists; very effective offensively against melee-focused enemies (read: the majority). It makes me happy when some melee-crazed dolt pops his shields on my EMP and eats my fist as a result, especially when said victim is using the sword. It's also funny how anyone in armor lock suddenly becomes the center of attention, as most people obsess over timing their grenade spam just right to kill the person as they come out of it, even funnier when they just spam constantly, taking wild guesses as to whether or not they'll break it early (in my case, I usually don't).

Also, Armor Lock is the only armor ability you should be using in Elite Slayer since 90% of the time, your opponents will be obsessed with point-blank sticky kills and plasma combos. In fact, just for that reason, Big Team Elite Slayer on Countdown is the definition of awesome. While you'd think that high-damage grenades being spammed all over claustrophobic hallways would be a problem, proper use of Armor Lock makes that problem moot. Bonus points if you manage to repel a grenade stuck to you right back at the person that threw it.

It's as overpowered as it is useless, though. While locking to postpone your death in hopes that your team is nearby and coming to the rescue is a valid tactic and works if your team is coordinated, there's a good chance they aren't; in the meantime, the rest of the enemy team are staring you down and readying their DMRs for a firing squad execution. If your connection is lagging, you'll see many bullshit deaths where you somehow get blown up or impaled while locked. Shotguns and hammers WILL trump you unless the person wielding can't aim, since it seems their firing rates are quicker than the time it takes to break out, throw a punch, and lock back up.

Donut
October 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
i have a love hate relationship with armor lock. i see where it is incredibly useful, especially in elite slayer with ghosts zooming around (holy shit, first time some guy ran into me i laughed my ass off), but more often then not people just use it to prolong their lives a few seconds. the biggest load of bullshit though is when a vaguely coordinated team holds down the hallways on sword base with armor lock. one person pops armor lock, then another, then the first person again, then a third person gets involved with grenade and melee spam, and then a 4th does a triple back flip off of a chandelier and swipes a big Z across your chest with an energy sword.

i mean, you can fairly justify that with "i am prepared with a coordinated team", but the issue is that you dont even need to be good at the game to defeat people like that. it doesnt even have to be the whole team either. just two people can easily fuck up an entire enemy team's day using this tactic. its only ever really been an issue on sword base though, right where that lift on the side opposite the sniper is.

as a one-man AA, armor lock is pretty cool. one on one, its not OP at all imo. usually people use it right when theyre about to die, so its never much of a threat. the only time iv ever had an issue is when a guy ran up to me, used his lock just as i hit him, got out of lock, meleed me, then went back into lock, got out, and threw grenades. he then proceeded to teabag me.

sevlag
October 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
with AL the only times i heavily use it are in like team slayer matches where the other team seems to not know they have a loaded gun on them

i mean we've all been there right? enemy sees you, but intsead of shooting he throws grenade he has and whatever he ends upp picking up off the floor

Spartan094
October 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Meh, I felt off today in MM because I was sucking badly for a Lt. Colonel thou I won some of those games. I blame the head ache.

Also I got Wake Up, Buttercup, yay 49/49 achievements.

Ellis
October 11th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I am just not feeling Reach today. I'll play it tomorrow but I spent my time today in Red Dead Redemption. Gotta get ready for Undead Nightmare.

Futzy
October 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Reached Lt. Colonel grade 1 today. Probably going to shoot to Colonel or higher when the cap lifts in a month or two

DarkHalo003
October 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I had a 15 game winning streak. How am I still breathing?

Kornman00
October 12th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I'm almost a Colonel

ejburke
October 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM
If I ever make it to Colonel, I'm going to wear white armor and change my emblem to a chicken. I'll be the worst player to ever make that rank, but I can claim it's because my fingers are covered in delicious transfat.

Kornman00
October 12th, 2010, 04:42 AM
*steals ejburke's idea*

annihilation
October 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I'm almost a Colonel

I'm only a grade 1 Commander.:smith:
It feels like I've earned a lot more credits though.

Pooky
October 12th, 2010, 06:41 AM
@Pooky: Why? Just because you happen to die half of the time from some things and ragepost half of your posts doesn't mean it's a gameplay flaw.

I can't really recall any intelligent rebuttal from you on any given point, just 'stop criticizing my video games, it hurts my feelings :('

A gameplay flaw is when frag grenades kill you in one throw and having a starting weapon can rule the entire game. As cool as the DMR is, I would much prefer AR starts thank you very much.

What's that? You're posting your opinion on the gameplay? Just stop dying you bad kid and it wouldn't be a problem.

Obviously.

Not in the PC version at least

probably a networking thing

E: Actually, I've noticed times where people will be shooting me and I'll zoom out, though I've taken no damage. Yet, it's possible to take damage and not zoom out. I'm willing to bet if you shoot someone straight on (not leading) in Halo PC while they're zoomed in, it'll make them zoom out.

It's most definitely still there, but does get pretty inconsistent over the internet.

Also, collision on the Reach models is no bigger than it was in Halo 1. If anything it's the auto aim. Compare the collision when betraying. No easier to betray someone in reach than it is in Halo 1.

That depends on if you're comparing Reach to Halo 1X or Halo PC. A controller vs mouse/keyboard comparison isn't even remotely fair.
I'd actually say it's considerably easier to betray people in Reach. I've done it before accidentally with the sniper.

@ pook

Double melee kills are ridiculous; essentially, they're as powerful as the sniper. But, I'm not complaining since I sploit the fuck out of it. Just remember to always have a pistol or a precision weapon with you for the headshot after first contact. I do agree that melees should definitely not be a 2 hit kill, but it's avoidable in most cases.

It doesn't happen to me often because I always have a headshot weapon on me, it's just annoying as fuck when it does. It's basically the game giving a free kill to people for sucking too much to use their guns. Also, it happens a lot more often in small team games where the maps are cramped and blind corners are everywhere.

t3h m00kz
October 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM
That depends on if you're comparing Reach to Halo 1X or Halo PC. A controller vs mouse/keyboard comparison isn't even remotely fair.
I'd actually say it's considerably easier to betray people in Reach. I've done it before accidentally with the sniper.

Maybe it's the area of detection with the bullets, maybe the game is just overall easier to shoot people in... it does feel outragously easier to hit people. but as far as the collision, I guarantee it fits the models nearly perfectly and isn't outrageously extruded. Most you'll get is minor inconsistencies with permutations.

DarkHalo003
October 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM
*severe face palm*

Of course you don't see any of rebuttals as intelligent; we have nearly opposite views on game. Just because I don't use fancy words and shit to explain my opinion doesn't make the point of my opinions any more dynamic if I had used any other SAT-leveled synonym. I just happen to agree on most of what Bungie does with the game this go around. IF you wanted to hear me complain, you should've heard me back in the Halo 3 days.

Warsaw
October 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
halo PC still had auto aim, even with the leading. your cone of auto-aim still persists. you're not leading your shots themselves as much as you are your cone of effectiveness. Xbox LAN had lag too (roughly 20 ms, enough to be noticeable), and required leading. I was playing splitscreen...are you saying that the netcode affects the game run on a single console as well? Play Xbox Connect and you'll see what I'm talking about. It wasn't because of the game mechanics as much as it was a side effect of poor networking on Bungie's part. the only reason you had to lead was because of the stupid half-assed netcode.

As far as mechanics... the sniper in Halo 1 had so much more auto-aim than in any other Halo game. the 2X scope made it easier to hit targets from mid-range, and the range was much further. faster rate of fire, no kickback. Oh, and you didn't zoom out when you got shot. wat. Just played the game yesterday; I zoomed out when I got shot. That's been a staple of the game since the beginning...probably a glitch in your system. they changed it to a 5X scope and gave it kickback for balance because it tightens the auto-aim cone and makes it less of a spammable mid-range weapon and more of a long-range "I have to pace my shots to be accurate" weapon. I can't remember whether it was PC or XBOX, but one of the Halo 1 sniper rifles has 5x/10x instead of 2x/8x.

The sniper does NOT dominate matches. You can hold back snipers with the DMR, since it unscopes them when they're hit. all you have to do is use some team tactics to close the gap and they're fucked. there's always a way to counter a sniper.I have yet to be effectively countered while using a sniper short of getting mobbed by half of the enemy team or shot with a rocket...hardly efficient or readily available counters in my opinion.

Replies in bold.

t3h m00kz
October 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I was playing splitscreen...are you saying that the netcode affects the game run on a single console as well?
I'm not that stupid. Of course it doesn't affect split screen. Most people who play Halo 1 usually do it over college lans or at lan parties

Either way, The velocity across BG is very little. I just checked the sniper on BG in PC, one or two frames max was how long it took for the sniper to hit across the map, it's not a significant ammount. don't know how it'd affect gameplay

wat. Just played the game yesterday; I zoomed out when I got shot. That's been a staple of the game since the beginning...probably a glitch in your system
Halo PC's zoom out is inconsistent. Sometimes you'll take damage and stay zoomed in, as we've determined a page back

I can't remember whether it was PC or XBOX, but one of the Halo 1 sniper rifles has 5x/10x instead of 2x/8x.
Checked. PC and Xbox have different zooms. Just checked the PC, 2x/8x, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw5fzcLPICw is the xbox, 2x/10x zoom

I have yet to be effectively countered while using a sniper short of getting mobbed by half of the enemy team or shot with a rocket...hardly efficient or readily available counters in my opinion.
wait until trueskill kicks in... trust me

Warsaw
October 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Regardless of how many frames you had to, lead time is still lead time (non-existent in Reach). Also, do we know what Reach hitboxes look like? I don't have much of a problem with Sniper magnetism in Reach, it just seems like I can shoot over or next to the guy's head and he still dies...I'm calling BS because I sucked ass with the sniper rifle in Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer.

As I said earlier in this thread, you can't compare Halo PC to Halo Reach. At all. The lag is sufficient that it changes gameplay considerably, the keyboard/mouse are far superior input devices, and then the tweaked weapon performance all change it. Comparing the first game on console to Reach is the only valid comparison you can make; apples to apples, the sniper rifle was generally harder to use in the first game...actually, even the pistol required you to lead your shots on a single-system match, but the new one is harder to use because of bloom, less power, and smaller magazine.

I'm not saying Reach is shit, I just have to wonder if when they playtest this game they are doing so with rose-tinted lenses.

Rob Oplawar
October 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I think Bungie would definitely say they made the sniper more accessible. They're making a game, after all, and it's no good for the majority of players if there is a weapon specifically designed so that they can't use it effectively. By definition, when you say a weapon requires skill you mean more skill than the average person has.

Futzy
October 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I love scrubs.
Just look at this w/l they handed me
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/default.aspx?player=Mr%20Kwatz

NotZac
October 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Just hit Lt. Colonel and got the Mark V helmet.

... I can't tell if all that time was worth spending. :|

t3h m00kz
October 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
never going to hit captain.

fml.

=sw=warlord
October 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM

fml.

If this (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/default.aspx?player=t3h%20m00kz) is your gamertag then you've only got 7k left, easily obtainable with todays challenges mixed with the weekly challenge.

Spartan094
October 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM

fml.
Play lot's of grunts and do the daily challenges and you will become a Captain.

Arteen
October 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Map pack coming November 30. (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=29224)

Rob Oplawar
October 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Lookin' good.

=sw=warlord
October 14th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Am I the only one who feels a little short changed?
Halo reach only just got released a month Today and yet their announcing a DLC which has 3 maps charged at 800MSP, I realise that Microsoft somewhat has leverage on the prices but L4D2 recently had two entire chapters added their game for a mere 560MSP.
What bothers me if that Tempest looks a hell of alot like one of the maps which were leaked in press screen shots just before release but never found on disc.
For the first time I really do hope they do what DICE did with BFBC2 in that the people who paid up for limited edition gets the content at a reduced price.
Just my £0.02

Hotrod
October 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Well, to look at it another way, Halo 3's Heroic map pack was released at about the same time, wasn't it? I'm willing to bet anything that the Heroic maps were being made before the game came out as well.

jcap
October 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Oh look, it's the map IGN posted a picture of on their fileshare before release!

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/111/1114803/halo-reach-20100820095447803.jpg

They made these maps before the game was even released and stripped them just so they could charge for them separately.

Fuck Bungie and fuck Microsoft.

Kornman00
October 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
jcap, you are such a fucking idiot, just stop. Stop posting jcap.

Pooky
October 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
The addition of more large scale maps would be more exciting if the vehicle combat weren't so uninteresting. The Warthog, Revenant and Ghost all seem to be made of paper and loaded with nerf darts.

Seriously, the Warthog. There are 3 methods of EMP, 5 heavy weapons and 2 grenade types to counter a vehicle that takes around 3 seconds of sustained fire to kill someone. What the shit.

Limited
October 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Shameful stuff Bungie. Yes okay the map pack probably wasnt 100% finished, but to be honest, it looks very playable to me. I'm now especially glad I only bought the standard version. I like to think they start on the new maps after games release, or at least after the game has gone gold. By the looks of it, maps were started before that.

Perhaps they will remove level cap on map pack release?

Arteen
October 14th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Jcap, you do realize that there's a time in the development cycle called 'content complete'. After that point, no new stuff gets added to the game; only tweaks and bugfixes are allowed. For the most part, only programmers can touch the game now. At this point, it seems like a perfectly reasonable time to transition the rest of the team to DLC, working on either new content or stuff that didn't make the content complete deadline.

jcap
October 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
So then don't charge for it (not an option because Microsoft is fagass), or release the maps which were incomplete at release PLUS others that were developed after release?

=sw=warlord
October 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM
So then don't charge for it (not an option because Microsoft is fagass), or release the maps which were incomplete at release PLUS others that were developed after release?
Or do what a quality developer would do and post pone disc production until the content is complete, like Crytek.

Futzy
October 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
The DLC Team was indeed working on these maps before we shipped Reach. The nature of development allows particular teams to roll off a project just as others are being thrust directly into the thick of the fight (Concept Artists aren't called upon to do a lot of testing, for example). DLC just went content complete last night at midnight. None of these maps ever had any potential to make launch.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23854280&postcount=9063
This is pretty much the same time frame in which the heroic map pack was release.

ejburke
October 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
DLC has to come out early to seize on a game's momentum. The problem I have with Halo DLC is that segmenting the userbase does not mesh well with matchmaking. If I'm going to pay for maps, I want them integrated in every appropriate playlist. And do not match me with people that don't have them, because that makes the chances I'll ever get to play the map next to nothing. I know there are DLC-specific playlists, but come on. These maps don't belong in the same playlist. The whole point of more maps is so we can go into any given playlist and not see the same 3 locations over and over and over. I would very much like to hear how they plan to address this problem.

DarkHalo003
October 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Why is it everytime I come back to this thread someone is over-complaining about something about this game? Yes the game can improve, but if you're seriously crying about this than honestly consider any potential reason why the maps were NOT released. Stop thinking like a spoiled child and consider the different scenarios about the situation. Bungie could seriously move on to another game and we could get no DLC, but instead we have a game developer who actually GAF about what its fanbase says. Please stop this kind of bitching. [/rage]

Sorry, needed to whine a bit myself. Anyways, I think the maps look really interesting. The first one will really make the Ranger Loadout for the Elites useful and I am so glad to see that. The second map, the one that I think looks a bit like Infinity (atmospherically speaking), I think will be a new favorite, just because I'm a sucker for desert-like terrain. The third will be definitely a different (or similar) experience. It looks like an icy form of Boneyard (style-wise), but definitely with some new ways to navigate the map.

Kornman00
October 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm just mad because they didn't announce any new firefight maps and I'm getting so bored of the maps that came with the game because I've been credit farming like no other :(
this is u ^

u mad.

jcap
October 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
this is u ^

u mad.
Nope, don't care about that.

The reason I play firefight more than multiplayer is because it isn't the crock of shit that multiplayer matchmaking is. I prefer to not play slayer every single game when I want to play objective, and on the worst maps yet to be introduced to the series.

If the game had dedicated servers I probably would not have played more than 100 games total of firefight since launch.

Champ
October 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Then play firefight and don't buy the map pack.

ejburke
October 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I miss dedicated servers, too. I miss being able to settle in on a server that was set up with a map and gametype rotation that appealed to me and find a groove. Matchmaking is so jarring. After every round I really have to think hard about whether I want to keep playing. I wouldn't even play multiplayer as much as I do (which is not much) if not for the challenges. Firefight is just so much more relaxing and free of a lot of bullshit.

Futzy
October 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I miss dedicated servers, too. I miss being able to settle in on a server that was set up with a map and gametype rotation that appealed to me and find a groove. Matchmaking is so jarring. After every round I really have to think hard about whether I want to keep playing. I wouldn't even play multiplayer as much as I do (which is not much) if not for the challenges. Firefight is just so much more relaxing and free of a lot of bullshit.
Welp, you'll probably have to wait 3 years to get a dedicated server on another bungie game. Until then you can go play your hat simulator.

Hotrod
October 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
If you take a look at the picture at the top of the page (), you'll notice that the Spartan there is wearing the Operator helmet with the HUL[3] addon. Though, if you look at the available addons for the Operator helmet currently available, you can see that there's only UA/HUL and CNM. DLC armor anyone?

ejburke
October 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Welp, you'll probably have to wait 3 years to get a dedicated server on another bungie game. Until then you can go play your hat simulator.I don't play TF2. And I'm not holding out hope that Bungie's next game has dedicated server support.

The only recourse, gentlemen, would seem to be making our own Halo MP game for PC. Cue Modacity Forging Reclaiming Guild. /three-quarters joking

t3h m00kz
October 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Nope, don't care about that.

The reason I play firefight more than multiplayer is because it isn't the crock of shit that multiplayer matchmaking is. I prefer to not play slayer every single game when I want to play objective, and on the worst maps yet to be introduced to the series.

If the game had dedicated servers I probably would not have played more than 100 games total of firefight since launch.

cool, it's opinion time

I for one enjoy the multiplayer. I'm going to get the DLC when it comes out.

ejburke
October 14th, 2010, 10:28 PM
If you take a look at the picture at the top of the page (), you'll notice that the Spartan there is wearing the Operator helmet with the HUL[3] addon. Though, if you look at the available addons for the Operator helmet currently available, you can see that there's only UA/HUL and CNM. DLC armor anyone?I use Operator and I'm pretty sure that's the deafult permutation. I think they already said that no new armor was ever going to be added to the game.

I for one enjoy the multiplayer. I'm going to get the DLC when it comes out.How are you going to play them? If they're doing the DLC Playlist thing again, I fail to see how an 8-player map, a big team map, and an invasion map can coexist. And if they're rolling the maps into the existing playlists, they better have added ownership of the DLC to the matchmaking search parameters, otherwise you'll never see them, because it will almost always match you with at least one person that doesn't own the map pack and you will be stuck playing the stock maps.

What's that leave? Custom games?

Limited
October 14th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but all the ranks.
http://anthonykinson.co.uk/gaming/230_halo-reach-the-ranks
Legend emblem kicks ass
http://anthonykinson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/42_thumb.png

t3h m00kz
October 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I use Operator and I'm pretty sure that's the deafult permutation. I think they already said that no new armor was ever going to be added to the game.

How are you going to play them? If they're doing the DLC Playlist thing again, I fail to see how an 8-player map, a big team map, and an invasion map can coexist. And if they're rolling the maps into the existing playlists, they better have added ownership of the DLC to the matchmaking search parameters, otherwise you'll never see them, because it will almost always match you with at least one person that doesn't own the map pack and you will be stuck playing the stock maps.

What's that leave? Custom games?

I don't know and I don't care how they do it, but I'm getting the DLC

Ellis
October 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah the ranks are nice. Would be nice to know when they come out. Honestly though I'm taking a break from Reach now that I'm sitting on my hands rank wise. I was going to keep grinding till Brigadier but I just don't even care. XD Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare DLC is what I'm waiting for now, and I'll definitely get the Reach Map Pack when it comes out.

Limited
October 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
RDR dlc is free right? Is it MP? If so hit me up: Limited55

Hotrod
October 14th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I use Operator and I'm pretty sure that's the deafult permutation. I think they already said that no new armor was ever going to be added to the game.
Nope, I triple checked and that is not the default permutation. Look on the right side of the helmet in the picture and compare it to the default in the game. Not the same thing. In plus, all the bonus armors from the limited and legendary editions of the game are DLC. And where did you read that they said that no new armors would be added? Seeing as how it was something asked for by the community throughout the Halo 3 era, I would be quite surprised if Bungie decided to leave it out this time around as well.

PlasbianX
October 15th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Nope, I triple checked and that is not the default permutation. Look on the right side of the helmet in the picture and compare it to the default in the game. Not the same thing. In plus, all the bonus armors from the limited and legendary editions of the game are DLC. And where did you read that they said that no new armors would be added? Seeing as how it was something asked for by the community throughout the Halo 3 era, I would be quite surprised if Bungie decided to leave it out this time around as well.

The armors from the limited and legendary editions are not DLC.

Warsaw
October 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I'm still missing my Mk. V(b) permutation that had the sun visor but no extra armour thingy on top of it...so it looked kinda like the old-school Mk. V but more refined. Damn you Bungie for removing it from the game! :cheeseargh:

Limited
October 15th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Armour from preorder, limited and legendary editions is DLC, however its already on the disk. It just downloads a file that says "yeah you have permission" sorta thing. Works like FIFA UT gold packs, but that analogy has flown over all your heads :D

Kornman00
October 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM
The permissions data which the redeem code gives you is basically DLC. However, the armor it unlocks can still be bought in game. Case in point: Recon. Once you hit commander, you can buy it for 100k. Not that anyone would really want to throw down that much cR for that shoddy helmet...

Bungie's cache system doesn't allow for DLC game data (new armor, a new weapon, etc) which isn't already present in the retail data (read: what came on your disc). Now, a DLC map could include a new weapon (IIRC, they did this with the golf club in that last forge map in H3), but it'd only be placeable in Forge. A game variant wouldn't be able to select it (since the game data wouldn't exist in the mainmenu cache/map file)

Ellis
October 15th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Hey! Hey No! Don't you talk about Recon like that! Recon is awesome. I -will- be throwing down 100k for it when I hit Colonel, as well as 300,000 when I hit Brigadier for the Mark VI Helmet. :P I'm one of those people who -isn't- interested in the Gungnir helmet :P

Arteen
October 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Case in point: Recon. Once you hit commander, you can buy it for 100k. Not that anyone would really want to throw down that much cR for that shoddy helmet...
Can you buy all three variants of Recon in the game, or just the two non-DLC ones?

Hotrod
October 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
@ Arteen : Just the two non-DLC ones.

And perhaps you're all right, but here's another thing : when you download the Recon and Officer armors and all that, they're available for every profile on your Xbox unlike ODST's Johnson that was only available for your specific profile. Sounds to me like they changed things around this time, no?

Hey, perhaps I'm wrong here and just dreaming too much, but that picture sure does show some evidence that it's possible that I'm right, right?

Arteen
October 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
The gold lancers/hammerbursts in GoW2 are like that, and they're definitely both on-disk already. Nothing unusual.

TeeKup
October 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm still missing my Mk. V(b) permutation that had the sun visor but no extra armour thingy on top of it...so it looked kinda like the old-school Mk. V but more refined. Damn you Bungie for removing it from the game! :cheeseargh:

Me and Metroid have been saying this since release day. I'd wear the Mark V[b] if it was just the visor and not the ugly UA attachment. No idea why they scrapped it for the side HUL attachment. It made the Mark V[b] stand out from the other helmets because they were different than anything else. All the helmets share certain attachment models and thats just boring and bland. Honestly all the side attachments are ugly, why anyone wears them is beyond me.

Arteen
October 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I rocked just the visor through most of the beta.

Hotrod
October 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM
The gold lancers/hammerbursts in GoW2 are like that, and they're definitely both on-disk already. Nothing unusual.
Then what about the picture of the Operator helmet with the HUL[3] attatchment?

Pooky
October 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Why is it everytime I come back to this thread someone is over-complaining about something about this game? Yes the game can improve, but if you're seriously crying about this than honestly consider any potential reason why the maps were NOT released. Stop thinking like a spoiled child and consider the different scenarios about the situation. Bungie could seriously move on to another game and we could get no DLC, but instead we have a game developer who actually GAF about what its fanbase says. Please stop this kind of bitching.

People are discussing Reach in the Reach Discussion thread, stop the fucking presses. If all anyone had to say is 'omgawd this game is so kewl absolutely everything is perfect (especially double melee)' the conversation wouldn't last very long, would it?

Typical forum hypocrites complain about complaining then act self righteous about it.

also, copy pasted from the screenshot thread

I was hoping for another forge map in the first DLC. As cool as Forge World is, seeing the same verdant green scenery in every Forge variant ever is going to get pretty stale. Ah well, maybe in the next map pack.

I really do hope they decide to do another Forge map before too long. It wouldn't have to be anything as grand as Forge World. Even a Sandbox remake would be pretty nice. Just something to give a little variety in the scenery.

TeeKup
October 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'd really like them to explore more of Halo for multiplayer and forge. Winter environments in particular.

=sw=warlord
October 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'd really like them to explore more of Halo for multiplayer and forge. Winter environments in particular.
Agreed.
I actually think some of the areas on two betrayals would make pretty good fire fight maps especially with the new system that's in place now.

annihilation
October 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'd really like to see a PoA firefight map.
Covenant can spawn where the life boats launch. Like in the campaign.

I can't wait for the new map pack. Anchor 9 looks very cool.

ejburke
October 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
As I recall, the B visor was mashed awkwardly into the base mesh. It didn't look like it attached or fit, it just sort of clipped through. I guess they decided it was easier to toss it than fix it.

jcap
October 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
A forge map similar to The Covenant in Halo 3 would actually be sick.

Lush, green environment in one area with a shore, snow in another. The mountains add plenty of height to the map, and there's way more than enough open space to have fun in.

Futzy
October 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
A forge map similar to The Covenant in Halo 3 would actually be sick.

Lush, green environment in one area with a shore, snow in another. The mountains add plenty of height to the map, and there's way more than enough open space to have fun in.
That's pretty much the same as forge world. If they do another forge map it should be something different like an open human city (possibly with a a headlong remake in it like how FW has hemo) or a cov env

ejburke
October 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
From this week's update (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=29272):

We’ll make sure you get to play these suckers as much as humanly possible should you decide to plunk down 800 Microsoft points in support of our DLC Team’s efforts. Unlike the map packs of yore, we won’t only be offering a playlist specifically tailored for players with access to DLC. The haves and the have-nots can swim in the same pool and our newly retooled matchmaking algorithms will systematically segment the player base properly so you won’t have to worry about where you can get your next hit of new map smell. They'll be seamlessly incorporated into the already existing playlists as primary voting options.

That's what I wanted to hear. I guess I will get the DLC.

mech
October 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Yay, new invasion map. Hopefully it won't be shit. Ellis, you can have my pre order recon armor. I never put the code in for it, so it's up for grabs. Just pm me if you want it.

Warsaw
October 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
As I recall, the B visor was mashed awkwardly into the base mesh. It didn't look like it attached or fit, it just sort of clipped through. I guess they decided it was easier to toss it than fix it.

It's still in the game, but with the extra armour piece bolted on top of it as well (you can still see the parts that are awkward). I think they tossed it because they found it redundant with the Mk. V classic helmet in the game serving the same purpose.

That's pretty much the same as forge world. If they do another forge map it should be something different like an open human city (possibly with a a headlong remake in it like how FW has hemo) or a cov env

Needz moar Library.

DarkHalo003
October 15th, 2010, 11:50 PM
People are discussing Reach in the Reach Discussion thread, stop the fucking presses. If all anyone had to say is 'omgawd this game is so kewl absolutely everything is perfect (especially double melee)' the conversation wouldn't last very long, would it?

Typical forum hypocrites complain about complaining then act self righteous about it.

I'm discussing Reach just like everyone else when you always happen to attack MY posts. I also love how you call me a hypocrite when you're the one who started this ridiculous chain fight back with this quote in response to one of my posts:

Guys stop discussing and criticizing Reach in the Reach discussion thread, Bungie are gods and can do no wrong!

:haw:
And haven't taken the hint that maybe other people actually think little is wrong with the game and you should respect what opinion they happen to draw. OMG CLOSE THE DAMN FORUMS SOMEONE ACTUALLY THINKS DIFFERENTLY FROM YOU. I don't want to sound like an ass and I really don't want to keep prattling about this; I get sick when people complain about stupid, minor issues and then declare that the gaming company and the game sucks when both easily do not. This isn't just a Bungie thing either; it's my own personal vendetta against posts like these, but note how I say posts and not the posters themselves. In other words, I have a problem with people using hyperbole in such a terrible way. In other words, don't overexaggerate in such a crass sense.

Back on-topic to something that's actually relevant:
-I can't wait to play Glacier later. I've been waiting to play on that map on matchmaking for some time.
-I'm excited that the level cap is being raised soon.
-I'm glad Bungie acknowledges that we want Versus Firefight (even if it's not in AU2).

Kornman00
October 15th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Firefight

Updated Firefight playlist gametypes to be a full set instead of 1 round. Adjusted skull progression.
Removed Friendly Fire

:woop:

Score Attack

Removed Crash Site

http://kornnersoftware.com/trillian/rec0.gif, I liked crashsite

Arteen
October 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Removed Crash Site
What the hell. That was my favorite Firefight gametype. Damn it.

This sucks.

TeeKup
October 16th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I didn't....Half the time when I spawned I was caught in between several groups of grunts and jackals while the generator was halfway across the map. By the time I got there...it was dead.

Limited
October 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Crashsite was the fucknog worst FF gametype? Why? Whenever I played it, with multiple people, my teamates were idiots and completely didnt realise the whole objective of the game, and didnt ever lock down the gens...and yeah those people were from modacity (wtf guys?!).

I think its cool Bungie are releasing some dudes map, although to be honest, its not that great. Any number of members on here could have whipped that up in a flash.

Team Snipers playlist, fuck yes.

My thoughts about level cap? I think its great that its not just up to Bungie "removing it whenever they feel like it". Although the fact we gotta earn it is good/bad. Its kinda like your parents saying "you can only have this, if you do well in your school work/time trials". Its a good way to motivate people, but I do think its kinda harsh. Plus I wonder what number we are at now, 100milll or less?

Futzy
October 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Probably 60-90 mil now

sevlag
October 16th, 2010, 12:17 PM
well we have to hit 117 trillion weekly and daily challenges

hop to it chop chop!

Hotrod
October 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
well we have to hit 117 trillion weekly and daily challenges

hop to it chop chop!
Million, not trillion

sevlag
October 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Million, not trillion
i knew i was off

anyways lets get to picking away at it

ejburke
October 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I played crashsite once and it lasted 2 minutes. It needs a tutorial. I didn't have the patience to figure it out.

I think its cool Bungie are releasing some dudes map, although to be honest, its not that great. Any number of members on here could have whipped that up in a flash.It looked pretty solid, if unassuming. But the guy probably knew somebody to get it fast-tracked this quickly. The other map by Lars Bakken looked kind of dumb, though. Three small structures set in a row with some rocks.

Cagerrin
October 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
This has been poking at the back of my mind since the first user-maps for Forgeworld, and I finally figured out what it is.

Forgeworld is simply a terrible map to actually forge on. Forerunner architecture simply doesn't lend itself to being used to way it is in Forge, resulting in every map looking like someone exported all the permutation geometry from H2 and squished it into a ball on ugly.

Arteen
October 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Of all the maps shown in the Forge trailer, I'm surprised that only Lars' map made it in.

Limited
October 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
OH MY DAYS. Just played some Swat with Rob, got a completely accidental assassination on a dude whilst trying to pummle the guy infront of me, you gotta watch it for full affect.

Turns out I got a melee kill and an assassination with 1 melee, and I then got killed by the lift lol

My View
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6854630&player=Limited55

3p View
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6854414&player=Limited55

By the way, wtf are file sets?

p0lar_bear
October 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Dear Bungie,

Please remove the level cap so all of the rank obsessed profags can go back to grinding gruntpocalypse instead of voting for terrible gametypes on terrible maps.

Signed,
Me.

Dwood
October 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I just realized there hasn't been any true snow levels in any halo game (Halo Wars does not count) since Halo 1. Does Reach have any snow?

Siliconmaster
October 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, swordbase is totally a snow level. And when you return, it's a melted snow level. :downs:

Kornman00
October 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
There's been snow levels in Halo 2 and Reach :s. Unless you mean a snow level where it is constantly "snowing"

Hotrod
October 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Avalanche and Snowbound don't count?

Limited
October 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM
^^ Was about to say those, avalanche has GOTTA count.

Ifafudafi
October 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM
yo

In the Score Attack playlist we are retiring Crashsite and replacing it with Mythic Score Attack. It’s the same progression as Score Attack but with the Mythic Skull enabled. This will truly test your mettle. If you’re worried about Crashsite going away, please don’t; it will come back at some point in the future.

So yeah I guess they figured out that you can just grab an FRG in the grunt wave and pound your way to victory. While that was half of the reason I played it (the heavy weapon commendation isn't going to earn itself) it's not like the entire gametype is going away; they're probably trying to find a way to rebalance it for the next update

Arteen
October 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Quarantine Zone, Containment, Lockout, The Covenant, Avalanche, Blackout, Narrows, Snowbound, ONI Sword Base, The Package, Breakpoint, and Glacier are all snow/ice maps to various degrees.

ThePlague
October 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Anyone else get their campaign levels reset? It happened to me, but it still says i've completed the campaign on normal, and gotten a few levels in on legendary. I didn't do anything to my hard drive or my xbox, and my rank didn't go away. :C

Dwood
October 17th, 2010, 03:04 AM
There's been snow levels in Halo 2 and Reach :s. Unless you mean a snow level where it is constantly "snowing"

Single player. And Halo 2's snowy section was for a level and *poof* it's done. I mean where they took you through at least 2 full SP levels with there being pretty much all snow and always snowing.

Timo
October 17th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Anyone else get their campaign levels reset? It happened to me, but it still says i've completed the campaign on normal, and gotten a few levels in on legendary. I didn't do anything to my hard drive or my xbox, and my rank didn't go away. :C

That happened to me all the freakin' time with Halo 3, I have no idea why either.

L0d3x
October 17th, 2010, 04:57 AM
By the way, wtf are file sets?

Just a way to arrange your uploaded files in your file share to "sets". You can add one of your files to a "set" via bungie.net somehow.
This way you can "pack" for example a map with a few screenshots of it together.

TeeKup
October 17th, 2010, 05:59 AM
That happened to me all the freakin' time with Halo 3, I have no idea why either.

Same here. My legacy states I've only completed Halo 3 on heroic....but I did it quite a few times on legendary...so wtf.

Necr0matic
October 17th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Yeah, when I first played, I deleted and recovered my account due to moving to the Reach slim, however I lost all my campaign progress, however on my service record it still had missions completed: 16 (replayed some of the missions a few times), but I did it again, it is a awesome campaign, so I didn't mind. :)

I just realized there hasn't been any true snow levels in any halo game (Halo Wars does not count) since Halo 1. Does Reach have any snow?

Only levels I can think of on the top of my head are: Assault on the Control Room (H1), Two Betrayals (H1), Quarentine Zone (H2)[Maybe it wasn't snow, maybe ashes?], The Covenent (H3)[Temporary], Halo (H3), The Package [Reach], proberbly not them all, but close to it I suppose.

TeeKup
October 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Avalanche was neat but albeit irritating to play, I blame Halo 3 and Snowbound was fucking terrible, also blame Halo 3.

Also, I think he means full blown campaign levels such as AoTCR. I also desire for a Containment styled multiplayer map, seeing as how I never had the privilege to play H2 on live
This has been poking at the back of my mind since the first user-maps for Forgeworld, and I finally figured out what it is.

Forgeworld is simply a terrible map to actually forge on. Forerunner architecture simply doesn't lend itself to being used to way it is in Forge, resulting in every map looking like someone exported all the permutation geometry from H2 and squished it into a ball on ugly.

It wouldn't be so bad if we had more pieces to use from, sure we we have a SHIT TON of stuff to use, but its mired by the item limitations. Also I'm getting sick of using lockout pieces, why not use pieces from Containment or Guardian. It's getting really drab already to see the same architecture over and over again.

Limited
October 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Single player. And Halo 2's snowy section was for a level and *poof* it's done. I mean where they took you through at least 2 full SP levels with there being pretty much all snow and always snowing.How about that one level where you working your way up that massive forerunner structure and inside you shoot 343 with laser?

Your being real picky Dwood, theres a reason there hasnt been tons of snow levels, the game setting just doesnt fit having tons of snow everywhere, its like us saying "yeah there hasnt been any volanco levels with tons of lava. Halo 1 was like, the calm after the storm, new world new experiences.

My ODST stats say I havent completed legendary, but I have the achievement to prove I have.

Anyone else feel the daily challenges are getting really bs-y, nearly all the points are focused on one challenge and its a hard one. The last level I completed on legendary was Nightfall, I died a ton of times, this challenge will be a pain.

DarkHalo003
October 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM
How about that one level where you working your way up that massive forerunner structure and inside you shoot 343 with laser?

Your being real picky Dwood, theres a reason there hasnt been tons of snow levels, the game setting just doesnt fit having tons of snow everywhere, its like us saying "yeah there hasnt been any volanco levels with tons of lava. Halo 1 was like, the calm after the storm, new world new experiences.

My ODST stats say I havent completed legendary, but I have the achievement to prove I have.

Anyone else feel the daily challenges are getting really bs-y, nearly all the points are focused on one challenge and its a hard one. The last level I completed on legendary was Nightfall, I died a ton of times, this challenge will be a pain.
Did you do the first first mission? Like not just the streets, but the opening cutscenes too? Reach was like this until I did the first cutscene in Legendary.

Also, I agree, I'm sick of the not dying challenges because I'll die about once and never die again.

Kornman00
October 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I was going to do nightfall without dying, but that first section had that invisible fucking elite shooting a beam rifle and some crock arsed grunt who decided to go suicidal after I killed an elite. Beam rifle + dual plasma grunt = no time to escape.

So I did what any sensible credit earner would do. I played the level until the last checkpoint (dying, numerous times), saved+quit, reloaded, finished the level, earned my challenge. 4k is hardly enough for doing that shit in a "legit" manner.

Oh, and Pass the Rock? It's the third challenge that I know of to be problematic/bugged. They really need to send the week's challenges to the play test lab before publishing them. They play test everything else.

sevlag
October 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
anyone else laugh at textbox001?

Futzy
October 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
anyone else laugh at textbox001?
Textbook001 you mean?

sevlag
October 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Textbook001 you mean?weird i thought it said textbox001, which to me implied the challenge wasnt named and given the generic label

ejburke
October 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I made it to Waterfront on Nightfall and thought I was on the last wave before moving on. I was focused in on sniping an elite while cloaked and I didn't hear a Phantom setting down right on top of me. Instead of reloading last checkpoint, I panicked and tried to run.

I'll try to get it legitimately. I don't want to go down the illegitimate road, because that's probably all I'll ever do. It was fun figuring out how best to do a deathless run on Legendary on ONI, even though that last Elite with the FRG taught me a painful, painful lesson. Once I figure it out once, it shouldn't be a big deal when it resurfaces as a challenge in the future.

p0lar_bear
October 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'd like to do them legitimately, but Legendary since Halo 2 (which was the worst bullshit) has always had random bullshit moments to fuck you over entirely no matter how well you played up to that point or what's going on when playing for no-dying runs.

You know what I mean. Suicide grunts that make no noises until turning the corner they're standing at, a jackal that'll snipe you through a tiny crack with a needle rifle when you're otherwise hidden well and waiting on a shield to recharge, and fuel rod and conc-wielding elites with aimbots. The AI reacts so unpredictably to things that oftentimes there's no blanket, all-purpose strategy to keep yourself alive. Sometimes attrition while hiding works, other times enemies will bum rush you.

DarkHalo003
October 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'd like to do them legitimately, but Legendary since Halo 2 (which was the worst bullshit) has always had random bullshit moments to fuck you over entirely no matter how well you played up to that point or what's going on when playing for no-dying runs.

You know what I mean. Suicide grunts that make no noises until turning the corner they're standing at, a jackal that'll snipe you through a tiny crack with a needle rifle when you're otherwise hidden well and waiting on a shield to recharge, and fuel rod and conc-wielding elites with aimbots. The AI reacts so unpredictably to things that oftentimes there's no blanket, all-purpose strategy to keep yourself alive. Sometimes attrition while hiding works, other times enemies will bum rush you.
The worst is the Skirmisher bum rushing. They are what basically caused me to die in my run of the level. Those things drive me up a freaking wall, I swear. In Firefight I have to sweep headshot them and one miss screws you over. They take AR bullets like a sponge takes in water and between them and the Elite Ultra with the Pseudo-Brute Shot, I had no where to turn and go. Has anyone noticed that the Plasma Pistol is like 5x more powerful per shot now?

ejburke
October 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
3 PP shots bring down shields in multiplayer. And you can fire them FAST.

Arteen
October 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I just do those deathless Legendary achievements with a second controller. I still try to go through it deathless with a second controller (succeeded today), but I don't waste an hour's effort due to random BS.

NotZac
October 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
So I did the first two missions legitimately without dying on Legendary, but when Nightfall would not give me nearly enough credits for actually beating it without dying, I chose to do it illegitimately.

That is the last time.

I got to the last checkpoint, but forgot to Save and Quit.

I am NOT redoing that.

Hotrod
October 17th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I did that one today with two friends and one of my friend's friends over live. We decided that we would go through the mission twice, having two people stay behind and the two others go out and finish the mission, and then switch around the second game. My friend and I were the first two to get the challenge without any problems. However, once it was our turn to go through the mission as the ones that are meant to die, one of our friends quit. So we're stuck with this douchebag who just got the game a few days before. Of course, we decided to be nice and help him get the challenge since he did it for us. We were literally two minutes from the end of the mission when the kid gets his hands on a Plasma Launcher and decided to experiment with it on his foot...Suffice to say that my friend and I weren't too happy...

ejburke
October 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Just finished it by myself. The brand of cowardly play I've cultivated served me well. I just stayed far away from the enemy, used Active Camo to set up my shots, and any time my shields came down, I reloaded last checkpoint. I know that last part is not in the spirit of the challenge, but here's how I choose to look at it: ::double middle fingers::

Pooky
October 18th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'm discussing Reach just like everyone else when you always happen to attack MY posts. I also love how you call me a hypocrite when you're the one who started this ridiculous chain fight back with this quote in response to one of my posts:

Not going to change my style just because it offends you, sorry!

Also, fuel rod Zealot is a pretty cool guy. eh aimbots people out of the air and doesn't afraid of anything.

Kornman00
October 18th, 2010, 12:45 AM
weird i thought it said textbox001, which to me implied the challenge wasnt named and given the generic label
yeah, I'm trying to understand the reasoning for that name but it eludes me :s

I bet one week, some time in the future, there will be a weekly challenge to complete all campaign missions on legendary without dying. And it will be worth only 4k. Ba-dum tssssss-:ugh:.

ejburke
October 18th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I'm already tapping out on the new Weekly Challenge (30 kills in a MP game).

Oh, and jet-pack killing again? I use bumper jumper, assholes. It's hard to be deadly in the air when I have to choose between being able to aim and using the thrusters (look stick vs X button).

t3h m00kz
October 18th, 2010, 07:58 AM
gotta use the claw dude.

ain't great but it's better than nothin'.

Limited
October 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm rockin' Default

By the way, Team Objective and maybeBTB and Doubles for 30+ kills.

Warsaw
October 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Recon controls for the win. Melee should never be anything but B. :|

Futzy
October 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Default is really dumb. I knew I would be using Recon when they first showed the controls before the beta. I switched them before even trying the defaults.

Warsaw
October 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Same. I can't get used to bumper for melee, B is just too damned engrained. I also wish I could swap RB and X so that X is my action button and RB is my grenade switch, but the only ones that do that have something else retarded.

Siliconmaster
October 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I love Recon- works great for me.

Necr0matic
October 18th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Shouldn't the next daily challenges have beat Tip of The Spear on Legendary without dieing or something?
As for controller layouts, I'd love to have the Halo 1/2 XBox controls, I use Recon at the moment, but I prefer X for Action and B for melee, which you don't get on default.

EDIT: Thanks moderator for fixing the D-post.

sevlag
October 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM
double post much?

also best idea for challenge

beat lone wolf on legendary w/o dying

Hotrod
October 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have default as well. As soon as I got used to it, I realized how well suited it is for Halo Reach.

Kornman00
October 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have default as well. As soon as I got used to it, I realized how well suited it is for Halo Reach.
^. I didn't change my controls when I started playing. Since I went directly into campaign (legendary) when I got the game I got used to it very quickly and couldn't accept the changes in Recon.

ejburke
October 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I've been bumper jumper for years. It allows me to jump and melee without losing the ability to aim, just like I could on PC. In Reach, jumper assigns armor abilities to X and that works great for every AA except the jetpack. Well, I can jetpack fine, I just can't fight while doing it. I wish I could tap X to engage the jetpack similar to how sprint is engaged, then use the jump button to apply thrust.

DarkHalo003
October 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I use Recon. It's the closest to the configuration I'm used to. The only negative is when you throw grenades while using the jetpack; it really becomes obnoxious in challenges regarding the jetpack too.

p0lar_bear
October 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Well, I'm somehow getting worse at this game while everyone's super pro. I can't land shots to save my life, but everyone else is spamming their DMR like it's going out of style, and still effortlessly popping off headshots. Armor Lock doesn't seem to be working for me, either.

Time for a break from this game.

Warsaw
October 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Armour Lock doesn't work because everyone has figured out how to defeat it. It wasn't all that effective to begin with (unless someone was trying to squash you), just annoying.

@DarkHalo003: What challenges are you referring to? I can throw grenades just fine using Recon and the Jetpack.

Kornman00
October 19th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Armor lock has been very effective for me, and there are still PLENTY of people who don't realize that they shouldn't stand too close, less they don't want their shields...and a melee to the face...and to die...bam.

(said the lady)

ejburke
October 19th, 2010, 02:17 AM
When I've gone into Armor Lock, they just stand right behind me. It knocks them back and pops their shield, but I can't turn around fast enough to do anything about it. Need a damn quick turn.

Warsaw
October 19th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Jump forward instead?

Kornman00
October 19th, 2010, 03:04 AM
That's why I typically stick close by to my team when I'm using it (but not too close, don't want them to feel the wrath of my shield's EMP). That way either I can act as bait, or I'll have some back up. When I team up with Masterz, we're an unstoppable force...almost like the juggernaut :iamafag:

However, sometimes I forget that I'm using AL. But sometimes, that's OK (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7049409&player=kornmanOO) (I don't like using it in elite slayer b/c that loadout blows runny shit, but it was a desperate time in the game).

t3h m00kz
October 19th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Armor lock's good if you know how to use it. saved my ass tons of times.. especially against rocket dudes

also you turn wherever your camera's facing when you come out. you can usually melee pretty much instantly.

ejburke
October 19th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Holy shit. I didn't know you could rotate the camera in AL. With my control scheme, I have to hold down X to stay in lock and can't twiddle with the look stick.

t3h m00kz
October 19th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Try out clawing sometime, it'll help when you need to do stuff like that. I've gotten so used to it I use my index finger for all the buttons.. thumb never leaves the thumb stick.

I'm a freak like that

also, weekly challenge is BS going in alone

Pooky
October 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM
To anyone who thinks Armor Lock is ineffective, don't use it in FFA modes. Armor lock is the god of team games on cramped maps, being the one and only hard counter to grenades. Also, armor lock is by far and away the best AA for Elite Slayer. I've killed people more than once by throwing their own stickies back at them.

But yeah, like p0lar, I haven't been playing this game much for a while. The multiplayer is just so boring and mindless, I see no reason to continue until the rank cap is lifted. At least I finally got the armor I wanted, and it is pretty awesome.

Hotrod
October 19th, 2010, 07:01 AM
The weekly challenge was really easy if you ask me...

ThePlague
October 19th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I just got it playing Invasion Slayer. Wasn't easy, especially on Hemorrhage, but it was kinda worth it.

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I pretty much always use Armour Lock, the only times I don't is when I need to use sprint, which isnt that often. Sometimes I simply pop into it, wait to see the animation of enemy reloading, unlock and kill him. Or when I see an enemy in armour lock, I walk up to them, wait a little then pop MY armour lock on, they usually freak out and drop theres, which is when I drop mine and melee them and kill.

Importance is variation, and also I try to time it so I always have 1 armour lock saved (Like I only use armour lock, till the circle is half full), then I can always pop in.

Playing with Korn and Masters, Masters and I are beast with AL, he pop in, screams down mic, and I get easy kill. Or sometimes, I throw a grenade, just as its about to go off, he drops into armour lock, hits enemy and I get easy kill.

So its 19th October, 10am PST (6pm for me), no updates :(

Also, sometimes I go to select stuff from my Local Files thing, and its grayed out (meaning no device is selected) but theres no way to select it...Apart from taking a screenshot/movie and trying to save, and one know how I can reguarly just select the save device. (HDD)

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Bump, playlist update is out, no sign of that challenge display saying how close we are. Atom is an awful sniper map, theres just too many objects you cannot see past, like all above eye level.

sevlag
October 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Bump, playlist update is out, no sign of that challenge display saying how close we are. Atom is an awful sniper map, theres just too many objects you cannot see past, like all above eye level.
that what you get for letting a 12 year old get his map in the playlist

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
O wow, this guy makes Jcap look like an amateur booster...
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Commendations.aspx?player=Sneaker%20Art
5 days worth of firefight, 179,000 covenant kills

DarkHalo003
October 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
To anyone who thinks Armor Lock is ineffective, don't use it in FFA modes. Armor lock is the god of team games on cramped maps, being the one and only hard counter to grenades. Also, armor lock is by far and away the best AA for Elite Slayer. I've killed people more than once by throwing their own stickies back at them.

But yeah, like p0lar, I haven't been playing this game much for a while. The multiplayer is just so boring and mindless, I see no reason to continue until the rank cap is lifted. At least I finally got the armor I wanted, and it is pretty awesome.
I agree here, Armor Lock is one of the best for BTB and maps like Reflection or Zealot where people grenade spam like crazy. It's also very handy in BTB where people use high-speed vehicles a lot.

MXC
October 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I played Atom once and I loved it. it was complete chaos, just like C3ll.

:D

Hotrod
October 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I have yet to play either of the maps, in which playlists do you see them often?

Spartan094
October 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I just played Glacier in Score Attack, uhhh I love the bug in the system where the text does NOT show up what so ever or the weapon icons, pickup, .etc. That's just me.

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Kornman was nice enough to render this for me in SD :D

It looks fake, but I 100% assure you this was in MM. FP view is better as I only see him, when he jumps up. So he startled me and I quickly jumped down and shot him

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Betrayal system can suck my dick.

4 vs 4 Team Snipers on Reflection. Lucifer got a nosebleed and quit, connor I booted after about 5 seconds of game start for betraying me. And the G33 guy proceeded to betray me 13 times, those were the only times the game counted, they didnt count the times he shot my shields and blue team finished me off.

Why does it suck? I couldnt boot the second guy, even after 13 official betrayals..WTF?

t3h m00kz
October 19th, 2010, 08:27 PM
wow.. I can't believe I never thought to do the challenge in invasion. got it first game.

fuck me.

Limited
October 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Kornman was nice enough to render this for me in SD :D

It looks fake, but I 100% assure you this was in MM. FP view is better as I only see him, when he jumps up. So he startled me and I quickly jumped down and shot him
Fack forgot the link >_<
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7181595&player=Limited55
Oh I assassinated him on his right shoulder btw, you cant assassinate on the left shoulder though...Look in my fileshare for a first person view, also check out the random assassination I got (more like accidential assassination).

t3h m00kz
October 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
atom's not bad

sevlag
October 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM
atom is every 12 year old's "mlg" map

both bases are smack dab facing each other with little to no cover when spawning
only real action happens in the middle, why bother to put that side walkway?
and suddenly GRENADES...GRENADES EVERYWHERE!!!
only weapons seem to be hammer, RL, and DMR on map
also why is it called "cliff hanger" if its not HANGING OFF the cliff"

annihilation
October 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I still have yet to see the new maps.

Pooky
October 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Yeah, Bungie seems to have a fetish for putting Team Snipers on the absolute worst fucking maps possible. I used to love Snipers on Halo 3 when it went to maps like Valhalla, Sandtrap, and Avalanche. You know, SNIPING maps. But all they want to go to now is fucking garbage Blackout and Heretic, where the game is all about double shotting and melee attacks. I haven't even bothered trying Snipers on Reach.

annihilation
October 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, Bungie seems to have a fetish for putting Team Snipers on the absolute worst fucking maps possible..

This.
Pinnicale is one of the worst maps for snipers next to Countdown.

Futzy
October 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
This.
Pinnicale is one of the worst maps for Reach.
ftfu

sevlag
October 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
WHY THE FUCK ARE THE PEOPLE IM PLAYING WITH RETARDED?!

seriously i got into one game where i got the wraith and some 12 year old with downs thought it fun to cripple the wraith by circle strafing with a revenant and repeatedly shooting the wraith's exhaust port, of course i cant boot him when he betrays me, but the moment i kill him in retaliation i get booted

then on paradiso I tried playing elite slayer...NOPE, another 12 year old HAD to have the fucking ghost, so he stunned me as i was leaving and STUCK me, he killed me TWICE (once by stick and then running me down with the ghost)

I killed him ONCE and got booted

seriously at this rate im ready to strangle the idiot who thought it a good idea to go back to gaylo3's boot system where the system is LOL RANDOM instead of putting tick marks against betrayers

MXC
October 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Son of a bitch.

I completed the Weekly-barely-and then proceeded to play a match of Firefight. Everyone left before the match started except for one other guy. Probably the most mature person I've ever played with on XBL and just before the final wave-the Xbox overheats.

I swear, Reach is the LAST 360 game I'll ever buy. The damn thing is pas warranty, so I can't get it replaced cheaply.

Futzy
October 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Son of a bitch.

I completed the Weekly-barely-and then proceeded to play a match of Firefight. Everyone left before the match started except for one other guy. Probably the most mature person I've ever played with on XBL and just before the final wave-the Xbox overheats.

I swear, Reach is the LAST 360 game I'll ever buy. The damn thing is pas warranty, so I can't get it replaced cheaply.
Just call them and ask them to start a repair. They don't usually check.

DarkHalo003
October 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I avoid Team Snipers matches (unless it was in BTB) because the Sniper is so easy to use now as compared to Halo 3. And I do agree, Pinnacle is one of my least favorite maps out there probably do to the level of DMR gametypes mixed with no limited areas for snipers and the Rocket Launcher, which baffles me why there is even one on there when there is no Banshee. I also want to know why there is a Rocket Launcher on Reflection; the map has enough hazards enough (Sort of liek Boneyard in Invasion towards the Elites) so why add the most hazardous weapon for close quarters to it already?

About the Overheating Xbox; just call Microsoft and raise hell; you'll get a free Xbox with 1-3 months of free XBL.

L0d3x
October 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
WHY THE FUCK ARE THE PEOPLE IM PLAYING WITH RETARDED?!

That's what you get for not using your brain I guess :)
The smart thing to do is to stay CALM and not kill them in return, then again only people with a functional brain could think up such a "solution" =)

DarkHalo003
October 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Is anyone here besides me getting degeneratively worse the more game time you have? My K/D (and game performance in general) has sucked incredibly this week in comparison to last week. I just played a game of Team Slayer, got 4 kills (one of which was from the grave) and died 8 times. Usually I have 15 kills and have died about 4 times. Anyone else exhibiting this too?

Hotrod
October 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I guess it's because it's just placing you with better people than before, I've gone through the same thing with the SWAT playlist :/

Oh, and am I the only one that sucks balls with the sniper?

p0lar_bear
October 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Is anyone here besides me getting degeneratively worse the more game time you have? My K/D (and game performance in general) has sucked incredibly this week in comparison to last week. I just played a game of Team Slayer, got 4 kills (one of which was from the grave) and died 8 times. Usually I have 15 kills and have died about 4 times. Anyone else exhibiting this too?

Well, I'm somehow getting worse at this game while everyone's super pro. I can't land shots to save my life, but everyone else is spamming their DMR like it's going out of style, and still effortlessly popping off headshots. Armor Lock doesn't seem to be working for me, either.

Time for a break from this game.

You can ask Pooky or Sever, I tried a game in rumble pit last night. I kept around 4th or 5th the entire game, because everyone was playing like a goddamn douchebag, I kept getting bullshat out of kills, and raged pretty fucking hard.

I spam a magnum close range at someone and drop the shields, go in for the lethal punch... my target lives, somehow I'm dead from him hitting me once with the butt of his DMR.

I get my hands on a shotgun, and fire on someone point blank, hit them square in the face. They live and proceed to beat me down.

I drop a grenade at someone's feet, drop their shields, and shoot them three times in the head with a magnum. They proceed to jetpack backwards, alive, and launch a grenade at me that kills me instantly. I ragequit.

Fuck reticle bloom. Go back to weapons that maintain a uniform accuracy with a max rate of fire. It may promote skill on paper, but all it really promotes is spamming your headshot weapons faster than usual with a decent chance you'll get lucky headshots.

sevlag
October 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
played arena and somehow i was able to actually PLAY a match without team killing in retaliation (only time I TK is if the guy did it on PURPOSE)
I was shocked i got through the three matches required to obtain a daily rating

why cant people in BTB be as smart and think for themselves?

DarkHalo003
October 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Polar, where is your connection held at? Like, do you live in dorms where the connection is held by the school or is yours private? The shotgun blast may be due to where you shot him by the head; if you don't shoot enough towards the neck and chest area, most of the blast will miss. It happened to me a lot in the Beta and Halo 3 (whenever it was fair connection).

Futzy
October 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Yep, people are using all sorts of terribly cheap tactics right now. I can't wait for black ops so they can all gtfo my Halo.

sevlag
October 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yep, people are using all sorts of terribly cheap tactics right now. I can't wait for black ops so they can all gtfo my Halo.
for me its mostly just grenade spam, like they don't bother to fire their gun AT ALL

also AC is the best ability ever, easy to allow your team to sneak up on the enemy

DarkHalo003
October 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
for me its mostly just grenade spam, like they don't bother to fire their gun AT ALL

also AC is the best ability ever, easy to allow your team to sneak up on the enemy
This so much. It's my primary ability for Invasion as an Elite. I basically saved an entire game by using the Focus Rifle and AC while staying close enough to my core (not to reset it), but to draw enemies out of hiding. The best part was that the guy was so close to reaching the zone when I ran out of Focus Rifle that I ended up spamming the Plasma Launcher and meleeing him to pieces. One second later: "ELITES WIN!"

L0d3x
October 20th, 2010, 08:49 PM
played arena and somehow i was able to actually PLAY a match without team killing in retaliation (only time I TK is if the guy did it on PURPOSE)
I was shocked i got through the three matches required to obtain a daily rating

why cant people in BTB be as smart and think for themselves?

You really do easily get worked up about things don't ya xD

MXC
October 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Can I see a screenshot of this reticle bloom? Everyone keeps bringing it up but I've never noticed it ingame.

DarkHalo003
October 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Can I see a screenshot of this reticle bloom? Everyone keeps bringing it up but I've never noticed it ingame.
It's just the projectile error that increases the more you shoot your gun. It's not as big of a problem with Automatic weapons as it is for Precision weapons, where the projectile error is random in many cases, although if you shoot calmly and not spastically then you'll make your mark. The problem, though, is that since the projectile error is more random with weapons like the DMR, it's deemed unfair for people because it goes down to chance in those cases. However, if you pump your rounds steadily then it's not a big issue, which is why it's definitely a good long-range weapon. However, at short range it's veyr controversial because people usually pump off rounds like crazy and the random projectile error increases exponentially, therefore it's difficult to tell the outcome msot of the time in this manner. That's why it upsets people so mcuh with precision weapons.

ejburke
October 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
They introduced dice rolls into the precision weapon equation and people are understanbly upset. I respect that they wanted to allow people to fire faster than is proper, but they should have shrunk the critical hit zone as the rate of fire increases, rather than blooming everything out. That would sort of simulate bullet error without resorting to randomness.

t3h m00kz
October 21st, 2010, 02:43 AM
I really like atom as a sniper's map. There's no real places to camp on the map, it keeps the players mobile.

L0d3x
October 21st, 2010, 05:24 AM
Well atom is 10 000 times better than any of sevlag's Forge maps. As long as his maps stay out of MM I won't complain =)

Kornman00
October 21st, 2010, 05:47 AM
They see you trollin', they hatin'...

Spartan094
October 21st, 2010, 06:04 AM
http://www.bungie.net/images/reachstats/commendations/onyx/onyx_large_perfectionist_firefight.png
I almost thought I saw somebody with this. If you have a firefight perfectionist onyx you have some serious issues.

Also I have yet to play Atom.

Pooky
October 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I avoid Team Snipers matches (unless it was in BTB) because the Sniper is so easy to use now as compared to Halo 3. And I do agree, Pinnacle is one of my least favorite maps out there probably do to the level of DMR gametypes mixed with no limited areas for snipers and the Rocket Launcher, which baffles me why there is even one on there when there is no Banshee. I also want to know why there is a Rocket Launcher on Reflection; the map has enough hazards enough (Sort of liek Boneyard in Invasion towards the Elites) so why add the most hazardous weapon for close quarters to it already?

About the Overheating Xbox; just call Microsoft and raise hell; you'll get a free Xbox with 1-3 months of free XBL.

I used to wonder about the RL on Ascension as well, until I realized that it's actually designed very well. What they did is put the only real counter to the tower camping, as far away from the tower as possible. In this way, even if someone does manage to get the rocket in the tower, they won't easily be able to acquire ammo for it, and other players can get the rocket launcher to blast them from their hiding spot.

As for the RL on Reflection, they need to either move it further away from the top floor, or make it a 2 shot with a faster respawn. Jetpack just ruins map flow in so many ways, I fucking hate jetpack.

sevlag
October 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Atom is still fucking terrible but then again better than lodex's shitty maps with hidey holes all over the damn place...

you making a map for osama bin laden to hide in or something?

EDIT:

today's challenges are easy..just about don with them

L0d3x
October 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I am mad.

But yeah, at least I don't make loadouts with a Fuel Rod Cannon =)

Limited
October 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM
I really like atom as a sniper's map. There's no real places to camp on the map, it keeps the players mobile.
Perhaps the people you played against were headless chickens. When I played on the map, everyone always caps those 2 top towers. You always spawn near the bottom, theres only 2 ways up to the tower, and both are in fuel view on the people on tower. You gotta go to the middle of the map, in the open to get to the ramp that goes up. Or you have to go up the lift, which makes an INSANELY large amount of noise, all they have to do is get 1 body shot whilst your in the air like a sitting duck, and melee you.

I love Pinnicale, although on Team Swat the spawns are absolutely awful, on snipers they can be pretty bad, but theres multiple ways to key points of interest.

annihilation
October 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hooray for DVD drives failing!

Also, EVA with a gold visor looks like a giant lemon.

DarkHalo003
October 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
Perhaps the people you played against were headless chickens. When I played on the map, everyone always caps those 2 top towers.
I love Pinnicale, although on Team Swat the spawns are absolutely awful, on snipers they can be pretty bad, but theres multiple ways to key points of interest.
I think Pinnacle is fun only when the Rockets are NOT in play (even if I'm using them) and when there is the AR/Pistol starts. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of chaos in trying to throw grenades and get headshots first. Defeats the point of having Camo or Jetpack half of the time.

sevlag
October 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
i don't get why BTB slayer would be on countdown...why?

ThePlague
October 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
I don't get why BTB Headhunter is even around. I played that shit on Countdown last week or something.

Kornman00
October 22nd, 2010, 02:45 AM
i don't get why BTB slayer would be on countdown...why?
Why not?

t3h m00kz
October 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
countdown is pretty tiny. It's just got a lot of vertical room.

Kornman00
October 22nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
I'd rather play BTB on countdown than say Elongation which I seem to recall playing back in the Halo 2 XBL shutdown-countdown. It may not be girthy, but like m00kz said, it's got the vert. Also, it doesn't have some central/global choke point where everyone always goes to crowd around/camp, eg, the elevator in Reflection or the middle hill/team caves in Blood gulch. There are many, many ways to get to multiple places. If there's heavy firefight in one direction, there's easily a slight detour around it.

So, IMHO, Countdown provides some pretty awesome CQC action without too much bullshit stemming from the map (variant).

t3h m00kz
October 22nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Enlongation was only fun if I had the sinper. Otherwise I pretty much hated it.

Then again, I'm like, the most anti-vehicle-using guy you'll ever meet..

Kornman00
October 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
I'm pretty sure...pretty damn sure, that today's challenges are rehashed from a previous day within the last 7 days. Expect this time it's now five double kills instead of four.

Goddammit. Change the Legendary challenge to SOMETHING ELSE! Idk bro, how about Exodus or something/anything? Maybe I'll just get one last checkpoint at the end of ONI and never, ever, play another campaign mission again (expect in co-op), kthx!