PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

t3h m00kz
December 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/SnaxyVideos#p/u

if anyone is curious, theres about 1 hour of footage of bungie's development on halo 2 from start to end.

what a boring documentary. they were talking about the light at the end of the tunnel for like five minutes, god damn.

Kornman00
December 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
The flood "supercell" thing almost makes them sound like biological based nanotech

Basically nature's verson of the Borg. Resistance was futile!

ejburke
December 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Two words.
Slip Space.Slipspace or hyperspace or whatever hypothetical shortcut through space is still time travel. You are leaping outside of your light cone to a point in space with no causological relationship with the event of your "Jump". You are violating causality, which is the fabric of the universe.

Since simultaneity is relative, you could theoretically jump back to your point of origin before you left. Paradox!

I don't believe in paradoxes, which is why I don't believe FTL travel or time travel will ever be possible. Well, not without permanently losing the ability to interact with the known universe. But I forgive science fiction for treating relativistic distances as if they are still governed by classical mechanics. No FTL travel is a bummer, creatively.

=sw=warlord
December 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Slipspace or hyperspace or whatever hypothetical shortcut through space is still time travel. You are leaping outside of your light cone to a point in space with no causological relationship with the event of your "Jump". You are violating causality, which is the fabric of the universe.
Then explain to me how you managed to get outside the rim of the galaxy in halo 3 to the ark.

Since simultaneity is relative, you could theoretically jump back to your point of origin before you left. Paradox!

I don't believe in paradoxes,
It really doe's not matter wherther you believe in paradoxes or not, there currently is no known law stopping time travel in it self.

which is why I don't believe FTL travel or time travel will ever be possible. Well, not without permanently losing the ability to interact with the known universe. But I forgive science fiction for treating relativistic distances as if they are still governed by classical mechanics. No FTL travel is a bummer, creatively.
I thought we were talking about Halo, a Sci-fi game not realife events? if your so interested in real life events look up the copenhagen conference..

t3h m00kz
December 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Warlord does have a point. Realism and Halo are practically polar opposites.

Kornman00
December 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I don't believe in paradoxes, which is why I don't believe FTL travel or time travel will ever be possible.
hey ejb, it's kmzzpp from the future, here to tell you that time travel is psbl. just don't tell present day kmzzpp where you learned this fact or else the next president will be a women.

Don't ask. Trying to explain how would blow your mind. Literally.

Now if you'll excuse me, my Delorean 2040 is starting to cause a black hole

Advancebo
December 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Warlord does have a point. Realism and Halo are practically polar opposites.

Then that makes Halo poor science fiction, it's become more of a fantasy (like Star Wars)

p0lar_bear
December 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
fiction...fantasy

Same thing.

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Same thing.

Not really. In fantasy, we have the end-all-be-all plot device of 'magic'. In Sci-Fi the author will typically take great lengths to explain how something works.

Advancebo
December 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
IE, District 9 Vs Star Wars, King Kong vs Dragon Wars.

ejburke
December 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Like I said, I forgive science fiction for not being realistic. It can't be. I would, however, appreciate it if they avoided BS explanations whenever possible and made a better effort to follow their own internal logic. Which are areas I feel the Halo franchise as a whole could have done better. You are all free to agree or disagree with that assessment. I was just attempting to provide a perspective that you may not have considered.

FRain
December 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Like I said, I forgive science fiction for not being realistic. It can't be. I would, however, appreciate it if they avoided BS explanations whenever possible and made a better effort to follow their own internal logic. Which are areas I feel the Halo franchise as a whole could have done better. You are all free to agree or disagree with that assessment. I was just attempting to provide a perspective that you may not have considered.
Isn't that what science fiction IS?

teh lag
December 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
"Good" science fiction (or any form of fiction to be honest) generally follows its own internal logic, regardless of whether or not said logic makes sense in "real life".

Ex: If in a sci-fi universe there are boats that can fly but only if they have enough assfuckium in their reactors, and then suddenly they can fly without assfuckium, it would be perfectly reasonable to call out that inconsistency.

Heathen
December 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
"Good" science fiction (or any form of fiction to be honest) generally follows its own internal logic, regardless of whether or not said logic makes sense in "real life".

Ex: If in a sci-fi universe there are boats that can fly but only if they have enough assfuckium in their reactors, and then suddenly they can fly without assfuckium, it would be perfectly reasonable to call out that inconsistency.

unless they went to the future and got a "Mr. Fusion"

ejburke
December 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Ex: If in a sci-fi universe there are boats that can fly but only if they have enough assfuckium in their reactors, and then suddenly they can fly without assfuckium, it would be perfectly reasonable to call out that inconsistency.Exactly.

The criticism stands EVEN IF a pack of nerds devote all their time to resolving the lack of assfuckium with a drawn-out explanation. At that point, the fiction is bad not necessarily because it can't make any degree of sense, the fiction is bad because it's ugly. Unelegant. Confusing.

In Star Wars, Han Solo claimed the Millennium Falcon could make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs -- a measure of distance, rather than time. Obvious writer's gaffe, but if you look hard enough, you can find some fan explanation that halfway resolves the issue with the fiction. Still, the average person who knows what a parsec is is still going to be confused and that's why it remains a crack in the fiction.

To be fair, most of the BS in the Halo universe is confined to the books. The games do a good job of avoiding technical exposition. But when you have a line like, "Halo doesn't kill the Flood." in one game and the same characters (Chief, Cortana, Spark) having the expectation that Halo WILL kill the Flood in another, it stings.

sdavis117
December 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM
In Star Wars, Han Solo claimed the Millennium Falcon could make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs -- a measure of distance, rather than time. Obvious writer's gaffe, but if you look hard enough, you can find some fan explanation that halfway resolves the issue with the fiction. Still, the average person who knows what a parsec is is still going to be confused and that's why it remains a crack in the fiction.

I always assumed the Kessel run was how far you could get in a certain pre-determined amount of time, and that that was what the writers intended.

Siliconmaster
December 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I always assumed the Kessel run was how far you could get in a certain pre-determined amount of time, and that that was what the writers intended.

The "official" explanation (EU haters rejoice) is that the Kessel run goes past the Maw, a series of black holes. By skirting the black holes, Han and Chewie managed to get to Kessel faster and in less distance. Tada. End of controversy. Simple, retconned, and final. No idea if the writer (wasn't it Lucas?) knew what he was talking about at the time, but now we do have an explanation.

ejburke
December 20th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Damn. Why'd I fucking bring that up?

Yeah, that's roughly what I heard on the matter. Without reading the white paper on the subject, I can't say for sure how sturdy or flimsy an explanation it really is, but my guess is that the "official" Kessel run explanation has a fucked up view of how black holes actually behave and interact with matter. For example, the new Star Trek movie portrayed them in about the most incorrect way I've ever seen. Black holes do not suck. Matter falls toward and orbits them just like it would any planetary body with equivalent mass.

Also, a parsec is a ridiculously long way, about 3.25 light years. Black holes are tiny, but their destructive tidal influence extends a decent way. Each Foot the Millennium Falcon would trim closer to the black holes would increase the tidal stress by multiple orders of magnitude. So, they couldn't have shaved off much distanceat all. If Han Solo did it in 12 parsecs, then the old record holder must have done it in 12.0000000000000000000000001 parsecs. And it says more about the Falcon's sturdiness than its speed or navigational guile.

Great, more tangents.

So, uh, Reach. Should be pretty good. Although...

I was hoping to see a truly sexified version of the Mark V armor from my beloved Halo 1. I guess if you want something done right...

t3h m00kz
December 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM
The way I see it, the reason there's so much more detail in the armor is because they seem to be going for more of an "exposed interior" look, makes it all much more prototype-y.

I mean after all, the more advanced stuff gets, the sleeker it looks. For example, compare old laptops to the ones today.

http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/old_laptop.jpg
http://techepics.com/files/new_laptop_08.jpg

Much less bulky, much sleeker, much less stuff sticking out everywhere.

Terry
December 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I mean, shit. In Halo 1, the ring activations doesn't kill the Flood
If you played the campaign, you'd know that
1) Halo doesn't kill the flood, it kills their food. The flood will eventually die off of starvation.

2)The rings were never activated in Halo 1. The pillar of autumn was used to destroy that particular installation.

and in Halo 3 it does.

If you played Halo 3, you'd know that the Halo never managed to fire properly because it was incomplete and therefore collapsed in a catastrophic explosion that destroyed everything on that installation (again).

Except that Gravemind managed to survive the first activation while on Delta Halo. Don't even get me started on the "biomass" and "sentience" floodification requirements. Arbitrary BS.

Delta Halo? I remember them stopping an activation.... Which one do you speak of?

A corpse, as I explained, is certainly not sentient.

This is actually true. I don't get that either admittedly.

Guilty Spark thought activating the ring to counter the local infestation was a good idea.

Guilty Spark thought DESTROYING the ring and the Ark was a BAD idea.

There you go.

Intent.

I don't get your point. It's pretty clear that guilty spark was either just following preprogrammed orders, or didn't care much about the fate of sentient life to begin with. Everything points to him just being servile to all his instructions. This is precisely why we...kill guilty spark and go against his orders.

If he's not the same Gravemind, then it begs the question where he came from.
http://begthequestion.info/
Pet peeve.

Although you're right on the other points. Infact, I think making the flood sentient and having the gravemind exist at all was a bad direction. If he had to exist, they could have established him alot better.

ejburke
December 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I would suggest you modify your assumption that I'm just completely off in my own world about the events of the games and try to find out where YOU may have gone wrong in understanding what I was saying. For example, if I refer to Delta Halo firing, and it didn't happen in Halo 2, then you may have rightly concluded that I was talking about the original galaxy purge 100,000 years ago. But you didn't reach (see? I'm bring it back to Reach) that conclusion; you decided that I must not have played the games.

itszutak
December 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Jesus christ, you're debating the plot of a game geared (as Halo's marketing has led me to believe) primarily at the mountain-dew fueled high-school (and earlier) crowd. While the original game had a lot of promise, I think that the plot simply isn't as in-depth as many here would like it to be.

At this point I'd rather make up my own story than read the books or comics or whatever else comes up. Halo 2 was a big dissapointment, and Halo 3 was doing the best it could with what it was given (IE, halo 2), but the problem is that every writer had a different idea of the direction Halo should go in, and they all compromised.

p0lar_bear
December 21st, 2009, 03:50 AM
The whole thing with firing Halo in H3 was because the flood known to be released, as well as the Gravemind, were all on the Ark and on the Halo. The plan was to light the ring and hop back into the portal. Anything that could have spread the Flood on the ring/ark would have been destroyed, so infection contained. The ring's destruction was just a side effect.

t3h m00kz
December 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM
a game geared (as Halo's marketing has led me to believe) primarily at the mountain-dew fueled high-school (and earlier) crowd.

yes.

I bet one out of every one hundred people who have played Halo 3 actually took the time to read the terminals.

Hotrod
December 21st, 2009, 09:03 AM
I bet one out of every one hundred people who have played Halo 3 actually took the time to read the terminals.
Which is quite a shame, since the terminals were one of the most fascinating part of Halo 3's story.

Siliconmaster
December 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Which is quite a shame, since the terminals were one of the most fascinating part of Halo 3's story.

Agreed. I really enjoyed reading those, though I did it on HBO instead of ingame- easier and more organized.

BobtheGreatII
December 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
I had a hard time reading them on my TV, so I had to go to Halo Wiki to read them. lol.

PlasbianX
December 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Honestly I don't think the movie was "real time." They're probably doing what they did with the Halo 3 "This is the way the world ends" trailer. Cramming as much detail as possible in. I mean hell they did that with the Halo 2 E32003 show too, the Halo 2 engine was shown to have real-time self-shadowing and all sorts of fancy shit that didn't make it into the final game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of software to render it at a higher resolution within the game engine. I mean, they have that feature for screenshots, I'm sure the devs would be able to do something similar with the movies. Like, a series of high-res screenshots being rendered into a movie. It gives them a chance to show people what the engine is like.

It's definitely the game engine, but does that mean it's not "pre-rendered"?

Hi.

Q: Awesome, so this is what the final game will look like?

A: This trailer absolutely represents our visual bar for the final game and is near identical to what you’ll see next Fall. The single biggest difference between this trailer and the final game will be the extra generous amount of anti-aliasing (the smoothing of “jaggies” or edges of pixels) present in what you’re watching right now but rest assured that Reach will be significantly improved in this department compared to Halo 3. (The extreme “AA” in the trailer was due to the “frame dump” mentioned above.)

Suffice it to say we’re really excited about the technological and artistic advancements we’re making with Reach and you’ll see more from the campaign in just a few weeks.

SiriusTexra
December 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I thought we were talking about Halo, a Sci-fi game not realife events? if your so interested in real life events look up the copenhagen conference.

:neckbeard:

So. Many. Levels.

That made my christmas, thank you

:allears:

Also, Halo 2 Vista will be an awesome. We should totally make a website.

FRain
December 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM

awesome on so many levels

FRain
January 8th, 2010, 11:38 PM
According to the Bungie Weekly update:

Reach info in the next Game Informer.

Speaking of talking more later, some folks found this potential conversation starter this week:

“The new issue is off to the printers. Another fantastic issue if I do say so myself. Should start arriving around January 10th-ish.”

Ain’t my quote. Someone else spat it out onto the interconnected network of silicone and tubes we call the Internet. So you don’t need to go digging (never know what you’re gonna find on the web), I’ll save you the trouble. It’s from Game Informer’s Andy McNamara and his latest issue is gonna feature some piping hot Halo: Reach action.

You should also be on the lookout for some Euro mag lovin’, too. While Game Informer has you covered stateside, there should be several overseas publications pimping Halo: Reach. Damn fine way to ring in the New Year, eh?

We'll have some new assets around these here parts too, but you'll have to wait a little bit longer for those. We're not in the business of stepping on toes. Sit tight.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU010810

ShadowSpartan
January 8th, 2010, 11:43 PM
According to the Bungie Weekly update:

Reach info in the next Game Informer.
The cover:
http://media1.gameinformer.com/images/site/pages/halor/202cover.jpg

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/01/08/news-February-Cover-Revealed.aspx

FRain
January 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM
so far

assault rifle, pistol, flamethrower, sniper rifle confirmed all in that one pic

TeeKup
January 9th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I hate every single one of those MJOLNIR suits.

Heathen
January 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM
because your a purist?

Warsaw
January 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I hate every single one of those MJOLNIR suits.

I heartily agree. They look much better in this illustration than they did in the trailer, but the idea that Spartans are a multicoloured cornucopia of death is stupid...

...ALL GREEN BUNGIE, ALL FUCKING GREEN! KAPEESH!?

sevlag
January 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I heartily agree. They look much better in this illustration than they did in the trailer, but the idea that Spartans are a multicoloured cornucopia of death is stupid...

...ALL GREEN BUNGIE, ALL FUCKING GREEN! KAPEESH!?
I can probably guess their reasoning behind the armor, something about being able to identify each team mate or some sit like that...but why they look like a rainbow is beyond me, and that spartan REALLY needs a ghiile suit?

BobtheGreatII
January 9th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I like them in the trailer. Look gross and weird in the drawing. Oh well.

Warsaw
January 9th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I can probably guess their reasoning behind the armor, something about being able to identify each team mate or some sit like that...but why they look like a rainbow is beyond me, and that spartan REALLY needs a ghiile suit?

Three words:

In Helmet Display.

Kornman00
January 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Looks like something very windy or powerful is happening in front of them (debris at their feet).

The colors seem to outline possible class. They're naturally occuring colors too, don't really seem much rainbow action going on. Not to mention, these are rumored to be SIIIs. So shut the fuck up with the SII generics. These guys aren't the same and it's Bungie's own damn game world.

Reach was also surprise attacked. Not much time to switch from prototype suits (again, colors could indicate class and specialized areas) to possibly something more polished.

NullZero
January 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Tbh, I like the illustration.

FRain
January 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Looks like something very windy or powerful is happening in front of them (debris at their feet).

The colors seem to outline possible class. They're naturally occuring colors too, don't really seem much rainbow action going on. Not to mention, these are rumored to be SIIIs. So shut the fuck up with the SII generics. These guys aren't the same and it's Bungie's own damn game world.

Reach was also surprise attacked. Not much time to switch from prototype suits (again, colors could indicate class and specialized areas) to possibly something more polished.

Everyone else:

BAWWW ITS NOT LIKE H1 BAWWW BAWWW BAWWW BAWWW ITS NOT THE WAY I WANT IT SO ITS WRONG CONSIDERING WE ONLY SAW 1 MARK V THE ENTIRE SERIES BAWW BAWW

Also, Spartan IIIs

E: Also, who's to say there weren't variants of the Mark V?

EE: Also, yet again another little quirk is that I don't actually see the unknown lieutenant in there. "I read your files Lieutenant, even the parts ONI didn't want me to"

Kornman00
January 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM
EE: Also, yet again another little quirk is that I don't actually see the unknown lieutenant in there. "I read your files Lieutenant, even the parts ONI didn't want me to"
Not surprised myself. Read http://www.rework3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=217&p=868156#p868156

FRain
January 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not saying that isn't a bad thing.

Also one thing i noticed is on the bungie.net forums there was a poll that asked for "do you want reach to be class based" everyone almost replied no.

Like you said in that thread, bungiefags are too scared of change. We've had a standard Halo game 3 times, we could use something new. I read on that same update that something new was added in saying "It's so new it came with instructions". Interesting.

Kornman00
January 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I was just referencing my post over there so I didn't have to retype it :p. Didn't think you thought it was bad

Class based or not, I'm sure I'll enjoy the living daylights out of the next game. Knowing Bungie, it won't be your daddy or brosef's class based shooter game if that is even the case.

Pooky
January 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not saying that isn't a bad thing.

Also one thing i noticed is on the bungie.net forums there was a poll that asked for "do you want reach to be class based" everyone almost replied no.

Like you said in that thread, bungiefags are too scared of change. We've had a standard Halo game 3 times, we could use something new. I read on that same update that something new was added in saying "It's so new it came with instructions". Interesting.

Personally, I don't want it to be class based because I think the very idea of 'class based' as applied to Spartans is fucking idiotic. Spartans are supposed to be highly trained in all aspects of warfare. Saying 'this spartan can do somesuch, but this other spartan can't' just makes no sense to me.

Heathen
January 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM

qft

FRain
January 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Personally, I don't want it to be class based because I think the very idea of 'class based' as applied to Spartans is fucking idiotic. Spartans are supposed to be highly trained in all aspects of warfare. Saying 'this spartan can do somesuch, but this other spartan can't' just makes no sense to me.

By class based I don't mean in the TF2 style where you can't pick up new weapons. I meant more as in starting weapon class based. Such as the sniper class will spawn with a sniper rifle and a battle rifle, but if you want to say "fuck it nevermind i didnt want that" but dont want to kill yourself, just pick up a different weapon.

Yeah, having a spartan NOT be able to pick up a weapon would be ridiculous.

Kornman00
January 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Classes of Spartans would also suggest that their armor would be more focused on their use. You have to remember that Spartans are humans too. They have natural talents. John had luck :downs:.

While you can train someone in all aspects, sometimes they can pick things up like it's second nature. So it makes sense that some Spartans are fielded to be specific pieces in a puzzle (read: squad).

With ODST and now Reach moving Halo games to be more squad based, specialized soldiers fit right in. However, even in ODST, they weren't limited in their weaponary abilities when you played them. It was always just a catagorization of those characters. As such, missions were fitted to make use (in game play) of that squad member's "natural" ability. EG, Romeo is the squad's sniper...hence that windward mission he was in.

In a team, you always want someone to have specialties, as we all have our strong suits and weaknesses. While there may be general areas you're all trained in (eg, medical), there will be areas where a certain member of the team is focused in (again, due to things coming natural or just being awesome)

Heathen
January 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Like at the beginning of Borderlands where you have 4 choices,

1. Siren who specializes in SMG's with perks to compliment this like rate of fire increases and what not.
2. Mordecai who specializes in Sniper Rifles and has perks to compliment this like faster reload or better accuracy.

Only with Halo and not so permanent through the duration of the game. Or at least I dont think so.

E: and since Korn ninja'd me I must add something to his post.

The specializations could not be because of the training or the spartan. Sometimes the military needs someone with a little better edge in certain areas. Even if all Spartans were IDENTICAL clones, the armor would surely make them play differently. If you were doing a demolition type mission, you wouldn't give a spartan recon style armor. Same way you wouldn't give a recon mission demolition armor. We never had this element because MC was the only one. He was the swiss army spartan for us because he was all we had. But now we have more than one. Need to blow shit up? Call on heavy. He can blow shit up better than the girl with a stick for an arm. But need to get somewhere quick? The girl in the skinny spartan suit and one forearms weight less than everyone is probably faster then the guy with a tank strapped to his back.

Kornman00
January 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
The LT and this dude, whom looks like Sgt Forge, appear to be the cut cheese of John. The LT bringing the Lone Wolf and strong silent type to the mix, while the Forge dude brings the (squad) leader aspects John had with his other Spartans (only seen outside the games really).

In this way they not only have very specific characters (even up to a leader type) but also the swiss army knife Spartan which gives the player the freedom to define how they think this LT battles.

In really is just ODST all over again, with some refinements, when analyzed

t3h m00kz
January 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
By class based I don't mean in the TF2 style where you can't pick up new weapons. I meant more as in starting weapon class based. Such as the sniper class will spawn with a sniper rifle and a battle rifle, but if you want to say "fuck it nevermind i didnt want that" but dont want to kill yourself, just pick up a different weapon.

Yeah, having a spartan NOT be able to pick up a weapon would be ridiculous.

Everybody would just spawn with snipers or rockets since they control the flow of gameplay. Play Fiesta, you'll see what I mean.

I like the semi-retro way of having weapon pickups throughout the map. Waiting for shit to respawn is the only thing that pisses me off about it.

FRain
January 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, now that I'm thinking about that it would be odd to spawn with other weapons.

However, the classes could still have different abilities.

Maybe the scout/runner has a faster speed, but a slower recharging shield and less health.

The Heavy (Jorge) could have a slower walking speed, but on assault maps has a slower bomb diffusal time. Higher shields, and more bullet deflection.

These are just ideas, of course I wouldn't actually use that, but I'm just trying to show what I mean by classes.

I also would like to see an onslaught/warfare based game mode. It would be interesting to see in Halo.

It would be interesting to see, but I doubt classes will happen, but i hope they add SOMETHING new that changes the way it's played. I'm kind of sick of the standard gameplay the past 3 Halo games have had. Halo 1's wasn't bad, thats not the point, but at some time you gotta try something new rather than pussing out and milking the cash cow.

thehoodedsmack
January 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
If a class-based shooter is going to allow players to pickup other weapons (which really isn't a classed-based shooter in my books), then there aught to be repercussions for bucking the trend of your chosen class. MW2 failed at this by focusing their perks mainly on the player's global traits (speed, sprint, radar, stealth) instead of the guns they were supposed to be specializing in.

An example would be, if you spawn as a heavy-weapons class, then when you pick up a sniper rifle, it should do less damage and have worse accuracy. Know your place, and you will be a credit to your team. But if you're spawning simply for class-based perks (extra health, faster speed, etc), only to run off and grab another gun, you should expect to be worthless to your teammates.

Just my thoughts. If Reach is going to try to be class-based, they better do it in a fun, balanced, and logical way.

FRain
January 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Another theory is that there are specific class loadouts already selected and you have to pick one, and there's a limit per team.

Alot like America's Army. At the beginning of each game, there was a loadout selection sheet, that already had a predefined number of classes per team (3 riflemen, 1 grenadier, two snipers, two medics)

You had to choose at the very beginning and it was always a rush to see what you would have left by the time everyone chose. However, it was even fun if you didn't get the class you wanted.

Warsaw
January 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Rainbow was just a term I used to denote multicoloured suits.

Also, we heard they were Sparta-IIIs from a second hand source. Even if they are Spartan-IIIs, they were all equipped with SPI armour, which had a form of active camouflage anyways. All but two of the original S-IIIs were killed before Ghosts of Onyx, and that book takes place after Halo 2 anyways, which is long after Reach was glassed. Bungie's game world or not, it would be extremely sloppy for them to drop Spartan IIIs into Reach from a Halo-lore standpoint.

=|

Also, there were variants of the Mk. V, as mentioned in the Halo Encyclopedia (Security is one of them). I think what some of us are complaining about the chunky disproporionality in the trailer. It looks straight-up stupid and not at all conducive to the fluid, almost ninja-like movement that the Spartans are supposed to have. Even the Mk. IV as described in the book was sleeker than what we saw in the trailer.

Kornman00
January 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Assuming class type action is seen in this version of the engine, I wonder what kinds of playlist configurations will theyl be able to pimp out. They would probably keep the class type definition separate from the game type (assuming class types are even configurable). Would mosdef be interesting for the matchmaking maintainers (Stosh I think?)

FRain
January 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Also, we heard they were Sparta-IIIs from a second hand source. Even if they are Spartan-IIIs, they were all equipped with SPI armour, which had a form of active camouflage anyways. All but two of the original S-IIIs were killed before Ghosts of Onyx, and that book takes place after Halo 2 anyways, which is long after Reach was glassed. Bungie's game world or not, it would be extremely sloppy for them to drop Spartan IIIs into Reach from a Halo-lore standpoint.

=|

Also, there were variants of the Mk. V, as mentioned in the Halo Encyclopedia (Security is one of them). I think what some of us are complaining about the chunky disproporionality in the trailer. It looks straight-up stupid and not at all conducive to the fluid, almost ninja-like movement that the Spartans are supposed to have. Even the Mk. IV as described in the book was sleeker than what we saw in the trailer.

You want to know who controls the canon of the series?

Bungie.

Warsaw
January 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Doesn't mean that armour with retarded proportionality isn't stupid looking. :v:

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 05:24 AM
no u <:maddowns:>

Good_Apollo
January 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Well watching that trailer and seeing that image...RIP Halo canon, I knew ye well. (or so I thought)

Thankfully I can still play Halo 1 and read the books...plus I can grimace through Halo 2, 3, and ODST.

The notion that it's Bungie's game and they can fuck whatever part of the canon they want? Check, they sure can, but they're still fucking it.

If Lucas suddenly released a new movie that affirmed Darth Vader was actually Obi-Wan Kenobi's son and that Luke is actually Vader's cousin would be ridiculous. It would also become canon, and nobody would like it. Only reason Bungie can get away with it is that their games are now marketed for a new crowd, young players who don't give two shits about a game's story and instead like to shoot people while yelling at them over Live!.

=sw=warlord
January 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Also, we heard they were Sparta-IIIs from a second hand source. Even if they are Spartan-IIIs, they were all equipped with SPI armour, which had a form of active camouflage anyways.S-III's were suicide soldiers and basicly prototypes, they could have any combination, because their prototypes they could have been used for experimental armour.
If the SPI wasnt shown on the cover for ghosts of onyx no one would even be bitching about what a S-III looked like.
Most of all, no one notice how you can customise your armour in halo 3 MP? Gee i guess they just put that there for shitz and giggles and not be any part of canon.:downs:
All but two of the original S-IIIs were killed before Ghosts of Onyx, and that book takes place after Halo 2 anyways,Gee i wonder what killed them all...
which is long after Reach was glassed. Bungie's game world or not, it would be extremely sloppy for them to drop Spartan IIIs into Reach from a Halo-lore standpoint.
How exactly?

=|

Also, there were variants of the Mk. V, as mentioned in the Halo Encyclopedia (Security is one of them). I think what some of us are complaining about the chunky disproporionality in the trailer. Yes because this time the armour actualy looks like plates of armour not just extrusions from the rubber beneath it.:downs:
It looks straight-up stupid and not at all conducive to the fluid, almost ninja-like movement that the Spartans are supposed to have.Who said their no longer stealthy or powerful? they look more fearsome now than they did before, IE look at the halo 3 armour, it was basicly a cast of shwartzneggers chest painted green, carved chunks out and then said oh hey heres your chest plate.
Even the Mk. IV as described in the book was sleeker than what we saw in the trailer.
I personaly think the new colour changes add's a new touch, it actualy enables you to distinguish different spartans from each other, besides the obvious amrour changes.
Spartan 320 looks like shes wearing a variation of the EVA armour to an extent, looking at the H3 MP armour and the reach trailer there are some obvious simularities, i just hope there isnt a hayabusha or RECON armour set.

teh lag
January 10th, 2010, 07:43 AM
You want to know who controls the canon of the series?

Bungie.

That doesn't mean we can't point out apparent flaws or criticize things we don't like. What is it about criticizing people/things/ideas that has become such a stigma on this site recently? It's like for some reason we're not allowed to say anything negative about anything outside of The Studio.

We just had a fairly lengthy discussion about what does and doesn't constitute good fiction.

Sure, they can alter the story and we can't say "no this isn't the Halo story". We can call them out for being inconsistent though, and if we don't like what we see I think we should be able to say that.

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Expect if these are suppose to be SIIIs we have no place to call them out...because we have nothing to base what a group of SIIIs were doing on Reach or what tech they may have been sporting while doing the thing that they are doing

because they do things. and they're go-doers.

AND IT'S A GAME

poland.

Terry
January 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Looks to me like someone was just sliding down the hill quickly :S

Lateksi
January 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
^ Look at the trees.

Delta4907
January 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Not sure about this, but just so ya'll can see:
YzphbhtjfIs
I love the loading screen, obvious its a reminiscent of Halo 1's.

EX12693
January 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
*youtube

You mean Halo 1's and 2's loading screen? They were quite similar.

Delta4907
January 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Kinda. In Halo 2's you could see the entire background, but in Halo 1's you could only see where the moving light was, like in this one.

EX12693
January 10th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Oh. Yea I haven't played Halo 2 in so long.*

Anyways yea cool loading screen bro.

*Cause it sucked

FRain
January 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM
That's probably fake. The picture in the background of the main screen is a Halo 3 concept art, give me a few minutes to find it.

Heathen
January 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
YzphbhtjfIs

Seems legit, but with things like this, its like...why didnt they just show the damn gameplay?

Siliconmaster
January 11th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I love the background, but iirc Reach had hidden Forerunner structures, nothing that obvious. Also, the music is cool, but far less important-sounding than the usual opening-menu-music. As for the loading screen, I also like that a lot, but it could have been easily faked using the official wallpaper. That being said, I can see Bungie using that same design somewhere in the UI.

Kornman00
January 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM
The fact that there is no beta (text) spew on screen causes some :raise:s and the loading screen, while seemingly legit looking, is rather lacking in :aaaaa:ness. Then again, the camera + lighting just may be to blame for that.

e: Silicon: Reach had hidden Forerunner structures alright. You just had to dig to get at them ;)

FRain
January 11th, 2010, 07:31 AM
And if it really truly was the beta, why is there only two options at the menu screen?

I'm sure there would be more especially by now.

E:

And I swear i've seen that concept art before.

Delta4907
January 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Just noticed that this new Shockwave (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?u=1771) member uploaded the same video at an earlier date:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IBLeZYbPk8

I haven't been able to see a copy of the new Game Informer issue, but here are some points from a bungie forum post:

- We play as Spartan IIIs. Jorge is the only Spartan II on the team, and as a result is larger.
- Carter 259 and Kat 320 are the only members of their original squad.
- Jorge is a heavy weapons specialist.
- "Skully" now has a name, Emile 239. He's the silent type of the game.
- The sniper is called Jun 266. He's thoughtful and taciturn.
- We can customise the appearance of the Lone Wolf by a small degree. Awesome.
- The game is apparently darker than any of the other Halo games, even more so than ODST.
- Human Insurrectionists are possibly in the game
- Bungie have once again made the Covenant more dangerous and frightening, as they were in Halo 1.
- Covenant soldiers no longer speak English, they speak in their own languages.
- A new enemy like a Jackal has been introduced, named a "Skirmisher." They are deadly and cunning enemies that attack in packs, and flank secure positions.
- Graphics have been improved drastically, as proven by in-magazine comparisons.
- Elites are back, and are more ferocious than ever.
- Larger scale combat will be in Reach. Where only 20 AI at a time could be on screen in Halo 3, now over 40 AI and 20 vehicles can be present at a time.
- Scenes are more cinematic.
- Noble Team splits up at a point in the story, but it seems they soon get back together.
- Health Bar is back along with energy shield.
- Single shot rifle like the Halo 2 E3 demo is in the game, named the Designated Marksman Rifle (DRM)
- Sniper, AR and Magnum make a return. Gun sounds are more realistic.
- Needler Rifle is in the game, a mid-range headshot capable weapon.
- Spike Grenades and Flame Grenades are out. Only frags and plasma remain.
- Helicopter Transport is called the Falcon.
- Civillian vehicles are now drivable.
- Fully stealthy gameplay is now possible.
- Assassinations are possible with a knife by holding down the melee button.
- Sprinting is now possible through an equipment like mechanic.
- Spirits, the Covenant drop ship in CE, return in Reach, alongside Phantoms.
- Grunts look a lot more menacing.
- Motion Tracker seems compressed, like an oval rather than the Halo 3 circle.
- Hud is yellow rather than blue.
- Marines look vaguely like Halo 1 marines.
- Phantoms now have a flashlight, like the one seen in the ODST announcement trailer.
- Elites seem taller, and are no longer hunched.
- All features from Halo 3 (Forge, Theatre, Co-op) make a comeback along with several new ones.
- We will be shown what Reach looks like before it is destroyed. We will see the levels of destruction progress as we get further through the game, implying the game takes place over a longish period of time.

Delta4907
January 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I was going to post those too but I thought posting scans\photographs of magizines was against the rules (and law).

Pooky
January 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Ugh, looks like a shitty Halo 3 engine mod filled with all the horrible ideas the author could think of. Nothing about it feels even remotely 'Halo-like'. Rainbow Spartans, woo. Needle rifle that looks like a poorly edited Beam Rifle, woo.

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I spy something from Halo 1 :iamafag:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Advancebo/spirit.jpg

Delta4907
January 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
It was pretty obvious that the spirit was going to be in the game. It was on the game informer cover art. The only thing I don't like is the elite. It just doesn't look like the aggressive warrior that they keep saying its supposed to be.

PlasbianX
January 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I like the fact theyre bringing health packs back

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I like the fact that you can sprint.

Also:

Animation features a smilar level of advancement. For the first time, Bungie has implemented motion capture. A majority of cinematic sequences are based on captured actions. Onscreen characters exhibit an animation technique called variable gait blending. Simply put, it means that as a character changes speed, the animation of walking blends seamlessly into running, which likewise, blends into sprinting. When turning on a pivot, players no longer appear to stand still and simply turn in a circle. In Halo Reach, they move realistically as they pivot, lifting their feet and moving their bodies in reaction. For facial work, Bungie enlisted the aid of Image Metrics, a company some gamers may recall....With their aid, human faces now appear dramatically more lifelike than in previous Halo games.

Hotrod
January 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I find that everything there looks amazingly awesome, especially the Skirmishers. I've been waiting a long time to get something new in the enemies. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not too fond of that single-shot sniper rifle there...

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Arent all sniper rifles single shot?
Unless you mean in visual looks, it looks ok, I guess.

Delta4907
January 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I think he means that Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR). It's not actually sniper rifle, but you probably know that.

Kornman00
January 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Reach fell in only a few days. I wouldn't really call that a longish period of time. Sounds about the same length of time like any other Halo <#> game.

Glad to finally see an official word on them beeing SIIIs (save for Jorge) and that this isn't FoR: The Game. Should keep a few more story whores mouths shut.

Ugh, looks like a shitty Halo 3 engine mod filled with all the horrible ideas the author could think of. Nothing about it feels even remotely 'Halo-like'. Rainbow Spartans, woo. Needle rifle that looks like a poorly edited Beam Rifle, woo.
*sigh*

says the guy referencing shotty cam shots of a magazine of a game still in the making.

Hotrod
January 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Also, Spirit dropships + Phantom dropships in one game = most amazing thing of life :)

Heathen
January 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
You guys are gay, I like everything in those pictures!
Also:

AWESOME

Terry
January 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
A bit underwhelmed, myself. I mean, I guess it will end up being a fun campaign experience, but I hope these aren't the only feature changes. I also think having an equipment for sprinting might be just a little too tacky.

Good_Apollo
January 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Reach fell in only a few days. I wouldn't really call that a longish period of time. Sounds about the same length of time like any other Halo <#> game.

Glad to finally see an official word on them beeing SIIIs (save for Jorge) and that this isn't FoR: The Game. Should keep a few more story whores mouths shut.

*sigh*

says the guy referencing shotty cam shots of a magazine of a game still in the making.
Uhh you can still see a multitude of things that totally break previous canon. Face the facts KM, the Bungie that made the Halo we remember is dead. Stop sucking their dicks so much. :raise:

I don't think anyone expects a literal Halo 1 carryover on a new engine and set on Reach...but comon, how can you SERIOUSLY be defending Bungie on this latest crap?

Consistency is all I'm asking for and, previous to Halo Wars, we had a pretty consistent set of canon and rules concerning Halo.

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Doesnt make sense how the S3's can be 20+ years old.

Heathen
January 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Doesnt make sense how the S3's can be 20+ years old.

knows only a little about the canon here, but why not?

Delta4907
January 11th, 2010, 07:45 PM
It does make sense. At least, for the LT. Apparently he\she survived OPERATION: TORPEDO, which was when the UNSC sent 300 Spartan-III's to Pegasi Delta, in 2545. The Battle of Reach occurs in 2552, so say the LT was 15 during the operation, and did infact survive, that would make him 22 at the time of the Battle of Reach. I can't say the same about the other four because we don't know anything about their origins.

thehoodedsmack
January 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Knife-attacks seem too COD-ish. I felt instant-kill melees from behind were good enough. Elite looks cartoony; could just be the lighting or something. Also, the Needler-rifle looks retarded, and sounds redundant compared to the carbine; probably explains why the Covenant would stop using them.

SilentChaos
January 11th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I don't like the new elites shown in GI, they look very low-res (like H1).
I'm still confused on if equipment is still in or if its been replaced by armor abilities.

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Equipment is out, armor abilities are in. Which is a bit better since you can keep on using theme. Though its odd how one of the abilities is "sprinting".

thehoodedsmack
January 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Though its odd how one of the abilities is "sprinting".

I'm pretty sure you're constantly running in the games, so I've never really felt the need to go faster. Probably just an experiment to see how fans take it, trying to blur the lines between Halo and CoD.

Warsaw
January 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
words

All the Spartan III groups died in big operations not on Reach. A Covenant refueling depot in 2545 killed all of the second group. The third group was still on Onyx when it disintegrated, and that takes place in late 2552 or early 2553. There is no space in there for Spartan-IIIs to be on Reach. Period. Either they retcon something or these are Spartan-IIs that we don't know about (and there were plenty). If it's the former, that makes it sloppy, and that's what some of us are complaining about. That and the shitty-looking armour (and weapons, and vehicles). It's not the colours so much as the proportions...again.

Actually, you should just stop because just about every post involving Halo-lore you have ever made has either been wrong through lack of sufficient information or deduced by faulty logic. Quit while you are ahead. Go read the books and inform yourself (again if you already have). :downs:

On to other things: does that magazine say what generation of Spartan they are? Judging by the numbers, I'm inclined to say III (sloppy Bungie, real sloppy), but you never know.

Never mind. We are Spartan-IIIs...again, I say shame on you Bungie.

Arteen
January 11th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Uhh you can still see a multitude of things that totally break previous canon. Face the facts KM, the Bungie that made the Halo we remember is dead. Stop sucking their dicks so much. :raise:

I don't think anyone expects a literal Halo 1 carryover on a new engine and set on Reach...but comon, how can you SERIOUSLY be defending Bungie on this latest crap?

Consistency is all I'm asking for and, previous to Halo Wars, we had a pretty consistent set of canon and rules concerning Halo.
Who gives a crap? Fun game and story > staying consistent with every detail from a vague, tangentially-related book? All of Nylund's books have contradictions or stupid plot-points best left ignored.

Pooky
January 11th, 2010, 11:46 PM
*sigh*

Oh I'm sorry, was there something else I was supposed to reference? Do you really think that if I viewed those garbage designs in a slightly higher resolution that they would suddenly endear themselves to me? The game might be still in the making, but things like this are what people are going to base their first impressions on. I'm not impressed.

Con
January 12th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I think he's saying it's best not to reference anything yet until we have something more conclusive; it's not the time for meaningful first impressions.

Good_Apollo
January 12th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Who gives a crap? Fun game and story > staying consistent with every detail from a vague, tangentially-related book? All of Nylund's books have contradictions or stupid plot-points best left ignored.People who care about the universe's art and design will give a crap? There's no doubt that all of the Halo games released to date have been pretty fun games, however, that still leaves plenty of room for complaints on how Bungie is sloppily handling their own story everytime they decide to release new content, completely fucking their last 'canon' content.

If only this happened to you guys in a medium you might care about: Lost, Star Trek, or Battlestar Galactica...whatever, you'd all be crying.

Con
January 12th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Can someone summarize what's so inconsistent in canon? I'm not sure what you're all going on about because I can hardly remember anything from the books.

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I'm pretty sure you're constantly running in the games, so I've never really felt the need to go faster.

You don't know constantly running until you've played Quake or Unreal :haw:

TeeKup
January 12th, 2010, 03:08 AM
It does make sense. At least, for the LT. Apparently he\she survived OPERATION: TORPEDO, which was when the UNSC sent 300 Spartan-III's to Pegasi Delta, in 2545. The Battle of Reach occurs in 2552, so say the LT was 15 during the operation, and did infact survive, that would make him 22 at the time of the Battle of Reach. I can't say the same about the other four because we don't know anything about their origins.

The only Survivors were Lucy and Tom. Both are locked inside the Onyx Dyson Sphere.

I'm sorry, the books may have their own flaws and contradictions, but this is crap. It may be generally easier for the audience to identify what spartan is what with their unique armor, but it doesn't change the fact that they're ugly as hell. I would have even been fine with them using Mark V armor variants like they did with the Mark VI armor variants. Not completely new and different suits.

I don't know why they would give the LT armor that looks so much like Gray Teams armor, Gray Team was listed as having Mark IV and NOT Mark V.

I have yet to read The Cole Protocol so I cannot speculate/reference/criticize from that stand point.

I'm going to try and hold a neutral/reservists stance until more info is released.

I'm also going to have to agree with Apollo, Bungie has lost their touch. I hated Halo 3 for the amount of time on earth versus that on an actual Halo, but I was pleased how it tied together and how it ended. ODST bored me to death, some things were neat, overall I didn't care for it.

ejburke
January 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Do Spartan III's even have shields? I thought their armor was el-cheapo stealth garbage. Did they get an upgrade to MJOLNIR or did Jorge get downgraded to their tech level?

I still don't think they're going to waste in-game exposition on the whole SII/SIII thing. If they do, they'll be making a mistake. That sort of trivia is better suited for the game manual or trying to fluff up a magazine article.

=sw=warlord
January 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM
All the Spartan III groups died in big operations not on Reach. A Covenant refueling depot in 2545 killed all of the second group.And what about the first group of S-III?
It's pretty fucking obvious the S-III's were secret so theres no telling at all how many were "made". The third group was still on Onyx when it disintegrated, and that takes place in late 2552 or early 2553. There is no space in there for Spartan-IIIs to be on Reach. Period. Either they retcon something or these are Spartan-IIs that we don't know about (and there were plenty). If it's the former, that makes it sloppy, and that's what some of us are complaining about. That and the shitty-looking armour (and weapons, and vehicles). It's not the colours so much as the proportions...again.
Again, with the whole "baww their armours different" Reach was the main military industrial planet for the UNSC infact in first strike it mentions new weapons that not even the S-II's knew of so who knows what armour might have been there.
The spartan armour we saw previously was specificly for their mission to capture a covenant ship and kidnap a prothet, Period.
Don't let Halowars fool you.

Actually, you should just stop because just about every post involving Halo-lore you have ever made has either been wrong through lack of sufficient information or deduced by faulty logic. Quit while you are ahead. Go read the books and inform yourself (again if you already have). :downs:
The only book i've not read is Cole protocol and i've read the others a fair bit, so instead of bitching with your faulty logic of insisting the spartans would stick with one generic armour and not specialise for their missions you might want to grab something called "common sense".

I personaly am glad to see S-III's with a S-II in one game.
I would be very much interested to find out if there are more S-II's in the story line somewhere, the relation between S-II and S-III could be interesting considering the S-II's dont like working with average soldiers.

But good fucking god theres so much butthurt in this thread, alot of people are acting as if they've had a horse rape them or something because the game doe's not meet their every whim.
The books themselves had a degree of artistic flair and licence so why everyone should expect the game to be a exact representation of a already different variation of canon is beyond me.

Kornman00
January 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
If any of you have been paying attention to some of the H:R dev (both senior and monkey-see-doers) team, some of them are actually new comers. Hence, artistic liberties and the fact that I'm pretty sure Bungie doesn't want to make another Halo 1 since this isn't even the same story arc. Nor was ODST.

The winds of change are always blowing. Either get a windbreaker or just go hide inside.

ejburke
January 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, it's weird seeing the lead Sandbox designer be some ex-FASA guy that looks like he's straight out of Orzammar. I guess we know what Jaime is doing if he wasn't on ODST and isn't on Reach.

But Marcus is the creative director and he's been there forever. I don't really give a shit what he is or isn't fucking up. The Halo canon was already fractured; they're just making the fissures larger at this point. And it's simply because they painted themselves into several corners. Like I said many pages back: better luck with the next IP, Bungie.

Or.... how about a nice reboot? All the cool franchises are doing it.

Kornman00
January 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
If there is a reboot, we'll just get all the naysayers we're getting now :\

Warsaw
January 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Who gives a crap? Fun game and story > staying consistent with every detail from a vague, tangentially-related book? All of Nylund's books have contradictions or stupid plot-points best left ignored.

Except knowing all the inconsistencies while playing the game creates discontinuity, and discontinuity breaks the experience. That's part of what made the Prequel Trilogy of Star Wars so terrible (the rest was Jar Jar and terrible acting).

Limited
January 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Heres what I see:

If Bungie dont make any drastic changes, people will just bitch and moan its H3 with a different story and thats it.

If Bungie make big bold changes, people will bitch it doesnt follow story/have that Halo feel.

I'm stuck in the middle, I'm not impressed with the new style, technological improvements in the engine do interest me, but that can be done without fucking everything else up. Characters seem too "GOW" for my style, big, fat, chubby, bulky when they dont need to.

Halo:Reach no matter what, will have a hard reception, people will be wanting new Halo content, others will want it to be more like Halo 1.

Am I the only one who hates the new grenade icon? Looks way too big and fat.

I know for a fact, Halo Reach will never be better than Halo 1 for me, because Halo 1 is what made me fall in love with the series. That is the crem-de-le-creme of Halo.

Heathen
January 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Heres what I see:

If Bungie dont make any drastic changes, people will just bitch and moan its H3 with a different story and thats it.
ODST

If Bungie make big bold changes, people will bitch it doesnt follow story/have that Halo feel.

Reach.

You are exactly right.

Chainsy
January 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
You also have to realize that after releasing a game like halo 1, it is a tough act to follow, rarely are sequels anything as good as the first (note the fucking rarely, as I am sure you will pop up with some examples), simply because you are experiencing golden age syndrome. You put the game up on a pedestal and think " wow this game is truly the greatest, man I remember blah blah blah and doing blah blah and tea bagging blaah."
It's just like old people, they say those times were so much better, when they had fucking world wars and dinosaurs.

Warsaw
January 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM
All the Spartan III groups died in big operations not on Reach. A Covenant refueling depot in 2545 killed all of the second group.And what about the first group of S-III?
It's pretty fucking obvious the S-III's were secret so theres no telling at all how many were "made". The third group was still on Onyx when it disintegrated, and that takes place in late 2552 or early 2553. There is no space in there for Spartan-IIIs to be on Reach. Period. Either they retcon something or these are Spartan-IIs that we don't know about (and there were plenty). If it's the former, that makes it sloppy, and that's what some of us are complaining about. That and the shitty-looking armour (and weapons, and vehicles). It's not the colours so much as the proportions...again.
Again, with the whole "baww their armours different" Reach was the main military industrial planet for the UNSC infact in first strike it mentions new weapons that not even the S-II's knew of so who knows what armour might have been there.
The spartan armour we saw previously was specificly for their mission to capture a covenant ship and kidnap a prothet, Period.
Don't let Halowars fool you.

Actually, you should just stop because just about every post involving Halo-lore you have ever made has either been wrong through lack of sufficient information or deduced by faulty logic. Quit while you are ahead. Go read the books and inform yourself (again if you already have).
The only book i've not read is Cole protocol and i've read the others a fair bit, so instead of bitching with your faulty logic of insisting the spartans would stick with one generic armour and not specialise for their missions you might want to grab something called "common sense".

1.) The first group was wiped out completely with no survivors, said so in the Halo Encyclopedia. Aside from that, they happened way too fucking early to mean anything with regard to Reach.

2.) Never played Halo Wars. Wasn't worth my time. Besides, those were Mk. IV armour anyways.

3.) Way to not read the whole thread, again. I said there were armour variants on the Mk. V and VI, and I said the idea armour variants isn't what gets me, it's the shitty proportionality. Anyways, what they are wearing is clearly not SPI in any way, shape, or form. And there were no other missions to specialise in to boot. There was Alpha Group (annihilated), Beta Group (annihilated save for two), and Gamma Group (a few survivors in the Dyson Sphere, the rest can be presumed dead). Gamma Team came around after the Fall of Reach, so there is no space whatsoever for these "Reach" Spartan-IIIs. Sorry, but you lose again. You may have read the books, but clearly you need to reference them more. So far you haven't demonstrated that you have any of your facts straight. Guess the joke is on you. Again.

And again I'll say: if these changes were tasteful at all, we'd all be nodding our heads in approval. So far, none of these changes are tasteful. If you like big, clunky, Unreal-style Juggernaut Spartans and half-baked weapons, more power to you. Us "butthurt" people don't.

tl;dr: learn to read.

PlasbianX
January 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The amount of nerd rage in this thread makes me lol. I never knew people could be that obsessed with a video game to the point they think they're experts and if one thing is off, the entire game is going to fail. Why don't you like, wait till it comes out and then try it and base your judgments off of actually playing it; not just some screen shots and your supposed expertise in videogame lore. Why can't you people have this same kind of devotion to something useful to others? Like not trying to troll or anything, but like, if you showed that much devotion to something worth while and not some video game, the world might just be a fraction of a percent better. Geeze. Nerd rage more.

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Characters seem too "GOW" for my style, big, fat, chubby, bulky when they dont need to.

Yet the entire series doesn't seem too Aliens (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_References_to_Aliens_in_Halo) for you?

Also I have to agree with the above post. It's a damn video game, not the lost pages of the new testament.

Warsaw
January 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
It's about the chunkiness. It works in GoW because it's an Epic game...all Epic games have big and chunky characters. Period. We haven't seen that in Halo. Now we do. So we are all scratching our heads wondering what Gorge is doing on Reach.

t3h m00kz
January 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Having been disappointed in Halo 3, I welcome these changes.

BobtheGreatII
January 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I never really fully understood what people hated about Halo 3 so much. It was a fairly decent game. It wasn't god-like, but I did enjoy it.

Heathen
January 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Same.

t3h m00kz
January 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I enjoyed it too, don't get me wrong, but after all the hype I guess I had higher expectations. I thought the gameplay felt like Halo 2.5, considering the BR was still the weapon of choice, and none of the new weapons really added anything significant to the game.

Honestly, I liked ODST more, the new weapons were a bit of a breath of fresh air, changed the way the game was played.

Pooky
January 13th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I think he's saying it's best not to reference anything yet until we have something more conclusive; it's not the time for meaningful first impressions.

Yeah, I was tired when I typed that and over-reacted a bit.

Seriously though KM, having a contrary opinion is fine and all, but you don't have to be so damned smug about it. >_>

p0lar_bear
January 13th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Bungie just needs to fucking drop the Halo IP already. This would solve so many issues with it being too much like or not enough like previous games.

Personally, I don't give a shit. If it's fun to play, I'm down. Yeah I'm into the universe and I edit Halopedia, but I don't get an erection over the story or characters and fear losing it over the slightest inconsistency like everyone else seems to.

TeeKup
January 13th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I enjoy the majority of the lore, but I have an undying obsession with the Forerunner. As long as they don't EVER touch that I should be able to weather most of this...

They were the paragons of galactic society, the near perfect goal of what every society should be. Through extreme advancements in technology and the spread of that technology to everyone, all conflicts were eliminated. Guardians of the Mantle they protected us, all of us. It's that sheer nobility that draws me in.

I hope that's never changed.

Kornman00
January 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM
IMO, the only chunky one is Jorge...who is a SII and more than likely has exp in EOD.

And has a collection of kitties at home :allears:

The team leader is a bit buffer, but hey, no one has any real say on SIIIs besides Bungie, especially when it comes to being on Reach which is (err, was?) the military back bone of the UNSC. They've also mentioned that Noble Team only has 2 of it's original members, meaning that cream-de-crop SIIIs were probably pulled from the existing Alpha, Beta, and Gamma groups. What's one or two pulled here and there after all?

Also, I've got a feeling we're going to see most, if not all of Noble go "MIA" the Spartan way by the end of this game.

Rob Oplawar
January 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Bungie just needs to fucking drop the Halo IP already. This would solve so many issues with it being too much like or not enough like previous games.

Personally, I don't give a shit. If it's fun to play, I'm down. Yeah I'm into the universe and I edit Halopedia, but I don't get an erection over the story or characters and fear losing it over the slightest inconsistency like everyone else seems to.

QFT. Bungie, when are you gonna announce your super-secret other project?

FRain
January 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
IMO, the only chunky one is Jorge...who is a SII and more than likely has exp in EOD.

And not only that, jorge has a goddamn canteen strapped to his chest.

Kornman00
January 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
And not only that, jorge has a goddamn canteen strapped to his chest.
Well shit, you'd be sweating up a storm in that thing too :saddowns:

Isn't that a flame thrower he's dragging around? Could just be an artistic backup. Or a perk...

ejburke
January 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Halo 1 was just so optimal in a lot of ways. The Master Chief was the only remaining Spartan, so he was granted a unique and iconic appearance, towering over the other humans and giving the player a sense that, oh shit, if I can't pull this off, nobody can.

Now, Spartans are dime-a-half-dozen space marines wearing "distinctive" armor that looks like it was cobbled together from ten years wroth of discarded concept art.

One of the best things about Halo 1 was forerunner architecture. It was ancient, mysterious, alien. You could design any abstract gameplay space and it would work. Unlike Bungie's attempts at futuristic human architecture which come off as TOO abstract in design to be believed. At best, Bungie's human environments look like environments we've seen a thousand times before in other generic sci-fi games.

So, we get Earth for a third of Halo 2, half of Halo 3, and all of ODST. Wonderful.

I can trace all these missteps to some underlying need at Bungie to provide fan service. Fans wanted Earth and only Earth in Halo 2. Fans were fascinated with ODST's. And fans wanted lots and lots of Spartans.

Clearly, fans don't know what's good for them and Bungie needs to focus on making correct decisions that benefit their games. Hopefully, the new IP will embody that.

Just don't fucking publish any novels about it. Leave the details nebulous, lest you have to contradict them later.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM

The team leader is a bit buffer, but hey, no one has any real say on SIIIs besides Bungie, especially when it comes to being on Reach which is (err, was?) the military back bone of the UNSC. They've also mentioned that Noble Team only has 2 of it's original members, meaning that cream-de-crop SIIIs were probably pulled from the existing Alpha, Beta, and Gamma groups. What's one or two pulled here and there after all?

Also, I've got a feeling we're going to see most, if not all of Noble go "MIA" the Spartan way by the end of this game.

Not talking about the artwork. I'm talking about the trailer. They were all chunky in the trailer.

I think the real issue with Halo 2 and 3 is the lack of available ammunition. Think about it. If Halo 1 had such a minuscule amount of ammunition for its weapons, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun. In Halo 2 and 3, you get to use your SMG or BR for all of one or two firefights and then you have to ditch it for some shitty Covenant weapon.

Limited
January 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Not talking about the artwork. I'm talking about the trailer. They were all chunky in the trailer.

I think the real issue with Halo 2 and 3 is the lack of available ammunition. Think about it. If Halo 1 had such a minuscule amount of ammunition for its weapons, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun. In Halo 2 and 3, you get to use your SMG or BR for all of one or two firefights and then you have to ditch it for some shitty Covenant weapon.
Yup, it would be understandable if you were on an alien planet or their spaceship. But if you on earth, you should be able to find human ammunition. I love the BR, and I hate having to pick up a crappy plasma pistol because thats only weapon lying around with ammo.

Also whats the deal with being able to pick up weapons with no ammo? Biggest cock tease ever.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2010, 07:10 PM
The other thing is that in the Halo 1 levels, you are fighting all the way, and the firefights could get drawn out. Halo 2 and 3 both have a sprinkling of enemies (even the Flood are not representative of their name anymore) which are dealt with so blindingly fast at any dificulty level that there is no game. It's run, blast, run. I can say that apart from Halo 2 Legendary, I've never had to sit and formulate a strategy for getting out of a fight in one piece in the last two core Halo games. ODST brought that element back a little bit for the Mombasa Streets, and that is what gives it its place in the series.

=sw=warlord
January 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am curious what Halo would be like if it was given a AI director like Left4Dead.
that could make the campaign alot more diverse in terms of game play as for instance instead of finding say a pair of hunters you walk into the room to find there is a zealot elite in camo with a normal pack of elites and grunts, you think you've killed everything not noticing the camoflauged zealot.
This would in turn make you more sharp and alot more carefull about your encounters as what happpened before might not happen again and what was easy before isnt so easy now.

p0lar_bear
January 13th, 2010, 09:55 PM
It works in left 4 dead because you always have a chance to assess your situation before jumping into it. In Halo, the AI is suspiciously omniscient and they can spot you from like 50 miles away.

FRain
January 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Clearly, fans don't know what's good for them

this line flips my shit.

all over the place.

Everyone has their own opinion, but you're making it like its a big fucking deal if the fans wanted to see something else. You're acting as if you're opinion is the only correct one.

E:

I don't mind people having a different opinion. It's when you're making assumptions based on thin air.

sevlag
January 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM
so everyone except the big bulky one is an SIII (joge is his name right? well hes the only SII in the group)

you have a "loadout", think a single CoD perk, like sprinting for a brief while or arbiter style camo

new jackal like enemy called "skirmisher"...it looks ok, but its just a jackal with more health and no shield

the civilian vehicles look ok

oh and the assasination take downs look sweet

i'm waiting for the beta

ejburke
January 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
this line flips my shit.

all over the place.

Everyone has their own opinion, but you're making it like its a big fucking deal if the fans wanted to see something else. You're acting as if you're opinion is the only correct one.

E:

I don't mind people having a different opinion. It's when you're making assumptions based on thin air.I allow for differing opinions. For example, I can't stand Left 4 Dead, but I respect that other people enjoy it.

What I'm talking about here is more akin to parent vs child. The child wants ice cream and candy for dinner and the parent insists on a well-rounded meal. Is that a difference of opinion, with neither being right or wrong? Or is the parent making an informed, analytical decision, while the child impulsively listens to its sweet tooth?

Wisdom vs ignorance. Most Halo fans never for one second considered how having other Spartans would cheapen and diminish the Master Chief and his mystique. They just don't think on that analytical level. To them, the appearance of other Spartans would simply be cool. But the issues I raise affect everyone, consciously or subconsciously.

Bungie has to be the parent here. They have to recognize the long term damage they might inflict. Maybe they just don't care. Maybe you just don't care. THAT would be an opinion.

If you're like me and consider the character of the Master Chief one of the major successes of the franchise, then you would perceive efforts to diminish his value -- intentional or not -- as the wrong move. Maybe you don't think it would be THAT harmful, but there are certainly consequences to introducing similar characters. That cannot be argued.

The only way Bungie can come out ahead is by making these new Spartans more successful than the Master Chief. And who sees that happening?

Sorry if this comes off as condescending. Sometimes there's just no way around that. Take it in the spirit in which it's intended.

Good_Apollo
January 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I thought the game would play out like the novel...with Chief and his team.

Instead Bungie feeds us these randoms with bullshit armor and weapons and expect us to eat it. At least most of their dumb fans will bite and it'll get huge sales regardless because it's Halo.

Futzy
January 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Taking a game too seriously is always fun. I'm sure the gameplay will be as fantastic as previous games regardless of story.

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Instead Bungie feeds us these randoms with bullshit armor and weapons and expect us to eat it. At least most of their dumb fans will bite and it'll get huge sales regardless because it's Halo.
chief didnt even goto reach in the first battle for reach so...

Good_Apollo
January 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
chief didnt even goto reach in the first battle for reach so......lawl. :realsmug:

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM
...lawl. :realsmug:
Feel smug all you like, chief was in the orbital station and then left in autumn, he didnt land on reach until AFTER Halo.

Good_Apollo
January 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Feel smug all you like, chief was in the orbital station and then left in autumn, he didnt land on reach until AFTER Halo.
So he wasn't involved in the Battle for Reach just because he wasn't groundside? :eng101:

Go reread the book.

ejburke
January 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Taking a game too seriously is always fun. I'm sure the gameplay will be as fantastic as previous games regardless of story.It's beside the point. I'm sure Bungie could make a game where the protagonist jerks off to Sonic the Hedgehog characters fun. It doesn't mean they can't be called out for catering to furries.

t3h m00kz
January 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
more like Halo: Reach Around

I'm just glad they got rid of the spam-happy Battle Rifle and replaced it with something that'll actually require the user to aim rather than spam shots at their target's head.

Good_Apollo
January 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Never seen this before:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/e/e0/Gallery_6889_853_280617.jpg

God I hate you Bungie... :allears:

t3h m00kz
January 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM
wow thats bad ass

Heathen
January 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM

right, because everyone wants to read a book, play a game, and watch a movie that all follow the exact same plot. That sounds fantastic.

Its like there are good Halo fans that like originality, and then there are the others. The "Purists". But being a purist isn't bad, its being a stupid purist that is bad.

I am not insinuating you are either of these Apollo, so don't get upset.

E: Oh wait, I didn't read the second part of your post. You called the ones that take the changes and originality and give it a chance dumb?
:lmao:

Right, I forgot bawwww'ing anytime something different shows up makes you smart.

E: and I take back what I said. I AM insinuating that you are one of the stupid purists.

E: and that spartan has been shown around here before, maybe just not this thread.

sevlag
January 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM
so yeah, comepltely ignoring the fact you guys disregarded whats been confirmed by game informer with their hands on time with a demo, continue to argue...

no one wants to even bother talking about the "armor" loadout, thats been confirmed, which is like a single perk you can swap out, ex. SPARTAN sprint and arbiter style camo being two of the loadouts revealed in the demo

also, the health pack is returning so we can expect people to hunt those down ala halo 1 (was no fun in ODST seeing as how they were basically every where)

so yeah...

Good_Apollo
January 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM
right, because everyone wants to read a book, play a game, and watch a movie that all follow the exact same plot. That sounds fantastic.

Its like there are good Halo fans that like originality, and then there are the others. The "Purists". But being a purist isn't bad, its being a stupid purist that is bad.

I am not insinuating you are either of these Apollo, so don't get upset.

E: Oh wait, I didn't read the second part of your post. You called the ones that take the changes and originality and give it a chance dumb?
:lmao:

Right, I forgot bawwww'ing anytime something different shows up makes you smart.

E: and I take back what I said. I AM insinuating that you are one of the stupid purists.

E: and that spartan has been shown around here before, maybe just not this thread.
A purist? Nah.

Why are you getting so upset that I'm upset?

[EDIT] Disregard the above, I always forget that threads about Halo games are only for Bungie's personal dick suckers to post in.

Warsaw
January 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
so everyone except the big bulky one is an SIII (joge is his name right? well hes the only SII in the group)

you have a "loadout", think a single CoD perk, like sprinting for a brief while or arbiter style camo

new jackal like enemy called "skirmisher"...it looks ok, but its just a jackal with more health and no shield

the civilian vehicles look ok

oh and the assasination take downs look sweet

i'm waiting for the beta

Just got the GI issue in the mail. Your armour has a slot which is like a USB-port in the sense that it accepts a bunch of different pieces that give you a perk. You start off with a Sprint perk, but during a night op where you have to sneak, you get the chance to swap it out for a piece that lets you use Active Camouflage like the Arbiter in Halo 2. You can only carry one piece at a time, and they are all governed by a single recharging meter.

The new HUD pretty much combines the ODST HUD with a shield meter and a motion tracker. You only get plasma and frag grenades this time around, because Bungie decided that the other two types were redundant. The new motion tracker also tells you how high up the enemies are relative to your position, represented by a line above or below the dot (yay, they finally caught up to Battlezone, 12 years later!). I like it.

Now, I don't like many of the aesthetics of the new game, but the gameplay as described (large battles, support for up to 40 AI and 20 vehicles at a time, 'handheld cameras', etc.) sounds promising. The Covenant don't speak English anymore (YES!), and they said they've given a lot of focus on making them terrifying again. We'll see how well they pull that off.

Delta4907
January 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah I posted that concept art after the trailer was revealed: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=496938&postcount=128

Anyways, each side to this has a reason. I do like the story of Halo and all its lore, and it does seem pretty stupid that Bungie "bends the fiction" (to which they admitted in the newest GI article). But as long as the game is fun, it shouldn't be something that bothers you. A game could have the worst and most generic story ever, but if its fun to play and you enjoy playing it then then it shouldn't matter.

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
A purist? Nah.

Why are you getting so upset that I'm upset?

[EDIT] Disregard the above, I always forget that threads about Halo games are only for Bungie's personal dick suckers to post in.
Coming from someone who is so afraid of change your words mean very little.

Good_Apollo
January 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Some people enjoy Halo outside of just button mashing. Whatever.

No gripes about Elite armor changing or when they switched to the Mark VI in Halo 2, so you can stop throwing words like 'afraid of change' around. These Reach changes are beyond ridiculous but I digress, it doesn't matter since you're probably a Monster drinking faggot who screams through his mic on XBL, you'll enjoy it as long as there's something to shoot at with explosions.

Over it.

ejburke
January 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM
The swappable abilities thing is an idea I had a while ago. I thought it would be cool if you could select modest abilities for a loadout and then find more "uber" abilities on the map, similar to hunting down the rocket launcher.

One of the "uber" abilities might be something like an EMP blast that fires when your shield drops that disables other nearby shields. I can't remember my other ideas. I might have written them down somewhere.

I think sprinting should be a standard part of the combat model, though.

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Some people enjoy Halo outside of just button mashing. Whatever.

No gripes about Elite armor changing or when they switched to the Mark VI in Halo 2, so you can stop throwing words like 'afraid of change' around. These Reach changes are beyond ridiculous but I digress, it doesn't matter since you're probably a Monster drinking faggot who screams through his mic on XBL, you'll enjoy it as long as there's something to shoot at with explosions.

Over it.
A:I dont drink the shit
B:why would i scream? infact im pretty sure i couldnt scream if i tried and anyone who has spoken to me on live would beable to count for this.
C:if i didnt enjoy halo for what it was then why would i be making a halo themed mod for crysis?
Your just bitching because the game dosnt follow the books, which had extreme artistic liberty, Reach is a very large place to have battles on seeing as oh you know its a planet.
there fore there is bound to be other battles going on that the small peices shown in the books.

sevlag
January 15th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Just got the GI issue in the mail. Your armour has a slot which is like a USB-port in the sense that it accepts a bunch of different pieces that give you a perk. You start off with a Sprint perk, but during a night op where you have to sneak, you get the chance to swap it out for a piece that lets you use Active Camouflage like the Arbiter in Halo 2. You can only carry one piece at a time, and they are all governed by a single recharging meter.

The new HUD pretty much combines the ODST HUD with a shield meter and a motion tracker. You only get plasma and frag grenades this time around, because Bungie decided that the other two types were redundant. The new motion tracker also tells you how high up the enemies are relative to your position, represented by a line above or below the dot (yay, they finally caught up to Battlezone, 12 years later!). I like it.

Now, I don't like many of the aesthetics of the new game, but the gameplay as described (large battles, support for up to 40 AI and 20 vehicles at a time, 'handheld cameras', etc.) sounds promising. The Covenant don't speak English anymore (YES!), and they said they've given a lot of focus on making them terrifying again. We'll see how well they pull that off.
the elites look alittle more alien in Reach of you ask me, but the skirmishers seem like a bad attempt at replacing the brutes, the new grunts look cool though

Warsaw
January 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, when I read about the Skirmishers, the first thing I thought was "an excuse to keep using that terrible Halo 3 Brute AI?" As for the grunts, I hope what they showed us was just a subvariant, because that's the wrong way to go to make them look menacing. And, they are grunts for crying out loud, they aren't supposed to be that menacing, even if Jackals and Elites are.

Heathen
January 16th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Here I am, apologizing to Apollo for being a cock.

Just saying. I was kind of rude.

E: and lol at your post.

sevlag
January 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Yeah, when I read about the Skirmishers, the first thing I thought was "an excuse to keep using that terrible Halo 3 Brute AI?" As for the grunts, I hope what they showed us was just a subvariant, because that's the wrong way to go to make them look menacing. And, they are grunts for crying out loud, they aren't supposed to be that menacing, even if Jackals and Elites are.
it makes them (the grunts) look odd i admit, but they look alittle like they're worth the waste of bullets or effort to kill now

the elites look more like they did in the E3 trailer for the original Halo, the armor seems to be Halo 1 ish, which is good, it kinda ticked me off that the armor design changed on the elites (I liked the glowing orbs that indicated their shield's charge)

which begs to question, if there is MP in REACH when it hits shelves, will elites be playable in MP? or will we revert back to SPARTANs only?

Kornman00
January 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see Elites returning to MP in this iteration of Halo too.

It's just MP after all.

ejburke
January 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Depends on whatever fiction they come up with to explain the armor abilities. It might not make sense for Elites to be able to use them, but I guess that's never stopped Bungie before.

I would not be sad if there were no MP Elites. They weren't as customizable as the Spartans in Halo 3 and there was the whole headshot issue in Halo 2. They should focus on making the Spartans as customizable as possible, so we don't see one type of gaudy armor everywhere we look ala Hayabusa.

Unless they're going to finally force Spartans vs Elites in a game mode. Then and only then would they be worth the development resources they'd be diverting from making the Spartans customizable.

sevlag
January 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Depends on whatever fiction they come up with to explain the armor abilities. It might not make sense for Elites to be able to use them, but I guess that's never stopped Bungie before.

I would not be sad if there were no MP Elites. They weren't as customizable as the Spartans in Halo 3 and there was the whole headshot issue in Halo 2. They should focus on making the Spartans as customizable as possible, so we don't see one type of gaudy armor everywhere we look ala Hayabusa.

Unless they're going to finally force Spartans vs Elites in a game mode. Then and only then would they be worth the development resources they'd be diverting from making the Spartans customizable.
like assault, attackers are Elites and Defenders are SPARTANs

Kornman00
January 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
no, suicide grunts <:maddowns:>

sevlag
January 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
no, suicide grunts <:maddowns:>
isnt what those grunts in H3 that stuck themselves were?

Con
January 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Playing as grunts would be so fun (but would ruin the game).

Darqeness
January 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Isn't that what they did with the early demo's of Halo 2 multiplayer? Having Elites as attackers and Spartans as defenders. I think there'd be a lot of complaints about being forced to play Elites though (I never understood why everyone has such an issue with playing them).

t3h m00kz
January 17th, 2010, 01:33 AM
like assault, attackers are Elites and Defenders are SPARTANs

That'd be interesting. Who knows?

Kornman00
January 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
isnt what those grunts in H3 that stuck themselves were?
yeah, they were the ones who said 'fuck it' and pulled out two plasma grenades and charged at you

they're also in Halo Wars :iamafag:

speaking of which, I played it on XBL this morning....I fucking got raped by a dude playing as the Arbiter who built NOTHING but Engineers to send with his arby to attack me. I tell you, it was not fair :saddowns:. You should have seen it. It was like a cloud of Engineers...:ohdear:

=sw=warlord
January 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Now more than ever would be a good time to have elites versus Spartans because in halo 3, the elites were on the same side as the humans, now though their not, their back to halo 1 and 2.

yeah, they were the ones who said 'fuck it' and pulled out two plasma grenades and charged at you

speaking of which, I played it on XBL this morning....I fucking got raped by a dude playing as the Arbiter who built NOTHING but Engineers to send with his arby to attack me. I tell you, it was not fair :saddowns:. You should have seen it. It was like a cloud of Engineers...:ohdear:
You should see what its like to have a scarab with a cloud of engineers protecting it.
Actualy since its a little off topic il spoiler this.
XoH5cy9QSto

sevlag
January 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM

speaking of which, I played it on XBL this morning....I fucking got raped by a dude playing as the Arbiter who built NOTHING but Engineers to send with his arby to attack me. I tell you, it was not fair :saddowns:. You should have seen it. It was like a cloud of Engineers...:ohdear:be thankful it wanst a scarab, adn that the recent update nerfed the arbiter alittle

also, in halo 3 i never liked the brutes, they never actively hunted you down, just sent grunts in after you or jackals...elites were always more challenging because they would try to flush you out if you were hiding (Cairo station in H2 legendary)

who else is psyched about driving civ vehicles?

Bloodraver
January 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
you can drive civ vehicle now?

sevlag
January 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM
if they are on the map, you'll be able to commandeer civilian vehicles from what game informer saw with their hands on time with a demo of REACH

Dwood
January 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Just a demo, dont hold your breath.

Heathen
January 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM

yes you be able to drive civ vehicle now!!!

sevlag
January 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Just a demo, dont hold your breath.
true, look at all the nifty stuff that was taken out of the original halo, its great nad all but it masy not happen. but its a nice idea

ShadowSpartan
January 19th, 2010, 07:42 PM
true, look at all the nifty stuff that was taken out of the original halo, its great nad all but it masy not happen. but its a nice idea
It's not like driving civilian vehicles is some new major feature, they are just including extra vehicles in the sandbox. I don't see something as small as that being removed from the game by the time it is released.

Kornman00
January 20th, 2010, 12:17 AM
It's not like driving civilian vehicles is some new major feature, they are just including extra vehicles in the sandbox. I don't see something as small as that being removed from the game by the time it is released.
Especially when they showcased an actual campaign mission to a media outlet. They aren't going to let another Halo2 E3 happen to them again.

teh lag
January 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
(Most of) those scan pics are now available in better-than-scan quality.

http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_01_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_02_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_03_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_04_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_05_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_06_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_07_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_08_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_010_l.jpg
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg

Not a fan of that elite. Maybe it'll grow on me.

=sw=warlord
January 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
That elite looks like he was animated by walt disney...
Am i the only one who is a little disappointed by the engine so far?
I was hoping to see a jump like halo 1 to halo 2 or halo 2 and halo 3.

E: what the fuck is mewtwo doing in my halo?

sevlag
January 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM

http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg

Not a fan of that elite. Maybe it'll grow on me.makes it look more alien

Delta4907
January 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
The menu seems to be the same as the last one, but with a new loading screen that gives tips, and the part of the audio of the beginning.
kQi5sh0lfvs

Limited
January 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Robotic audio makes me think its fake and its weird how camera pans down when the goodies start.

The loading bar, well sweeping vertical line is freaking awful.

Typo whoops!

Warsaw
January 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM

http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_01_l.jpg

Unreal II? In my Halo? It's more likely than you think.

Aside from that, it looks decent. Not amazing, but decent (for a beta build). You have to remember that the Xbox 360 is almost maxed out.

Advancebo
January 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg

yay spirit :)

Corvette19
January 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm actually excited about this.. THOSE JACKALS LOOK FLIPPIN SICK!!!!!!! They have a tribal look to them... This actually looks awesome, I hope they do the amazing advertising like they did with H3, which had some awesome advertisements IMO.

Teltaur
January 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM
To be honest, I'm a little underwhelmed. I understand it's a beta build, but still, those world environments look less detailed than Unreal Tournament 3's (which weren't that great in the first place), and that's a 3 year old game...

Even though, the art style is slowly starting to grow on me, even if I still don't fully like it. I just hope there's some pretty significant polish before this hits retail, I guess I'll have to wait for the multiplayer beta to see for myself.

FRain
January 20th, 2010, 10:26 PM
You have to understand one thing:

The xbox 360's hardware is SHIT compared to what we have today in our standard computers.

512 mb ram.

1mb of l2 cache, and not to mention it's almost four years old.

UT3 was a brand new engine, released two years ago, and my comp while it may run well on it, I don't have shared ram and a true dedicated video card.

You aren't going to make anything better UT3 on the xbox 360. most definitely not.

Teltaur
January 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I completely understand that, but what I'm referring to is the fact that Reach's environments look generally unrealistic, not that they are under par in resolution or physical detail. The cliffs are featureless and plain, the ground unnatural-looking, etc.

My problem is not with any kind of resolution or hardware capability, but Reach's unrealistic appearance. Even if the 360 can't handle much more than the level of UT3, that's no excuse for environments that generally look like someone just stuck some plain rocks into some plain grass and patches of plain dirt.

And even if UT3 is at the visual cap of the 360, you'd expect a major title released 3 years later to at least be at the same level. Hardware capabilities don't mean everything needs to look abnormally unrealistic and featureless.

But again, I completely understand this is only in beta form, and the game will be polished. I just expected Reach to at least look up to par with previous games on the 360, especially ones from many years ago like UT3. Not seeing that in these pictures was somewhat of a disappointment, although the new artistic approach also doesn't appeal too much to me.

Warsaw
January 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM

The xbox 360's hardware is SHIT compared to what we have today in our standard computers.

512 mb ram.

UT3 was a brand new engine, released two years ago, and my comp while it may run well on it, I don't have shared ram and a true dedicated video card.

You aren't going to make anything better UT3 on the xbox 360. most definitely not.

Except Crysis 2 is coming to the Xbox 360...

It boils down to creative use of memory allocation.

Kornman00
January 20th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, games don't just revolve around fucking graphics. Bungie just didn't "upgrade the graphics engine some and called it a game". They've at the very least, tuned the AI and object memory to allow for larger battle scenes in-game. More than likely they've also addressed the networking layer too. Who knows what else they may have in store in terms of saved films, forge and possibly even the return of firefight.

We've only seen a few environments in a beta stage engine. We have yet to see, for ex, any real water upclose with any objects interacting with them or waterfalls, etc. Basing a rendering engine off stills isn't the best method either

Rob Oplawar
January 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Even so, KM, I'm unimpressed by the graphics. The bipeds look fantastic, but everything else looks like Halo 3. I'm not seeing the impressive lighting I was expecting from the trailer and that one presentation they gave on their lighting tech. Then again, dynamic lighting is only impressive when you can see it changing.

Honestly, we want to see something new. We are demanding fanbois.

Perhaps Bungie's secret project is targeted for Microsoft's next console- that's gotta be coming out in a year or two. I don't expect Bungie to impress me as much as Crysis first impressed me, but I want to be impressed. Like it or not, visuals are a big thing these days.

And besides, if we have another Halo game, we're stuck with the same universe, the same characters, essentially the same gameplay, so the only new thing left to impress us is: visuals.

Kornman00
January 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
And besides, if we have another Halo game, we're stuck with the same universe, the same characters, essentially the same gameplay, so the only new thing left to impress us is: visuals.
Far from it. There are so many changes and upgrades they can make to saved films, forge and multiplayer variants still. Plus, there is the possibility of the return of Firefight which itself can really be upgraded.

We've already seen the inclusion of civilian vehicles as one mode of transportation. Plus new weapons with thier own dynamics which don't permit the same old gameplay. Don't think so two demsionally (sp). You're also basing everything about this game you know on old games which this game isn't. Campaign wise, we're on single planet (which a Halo game has never touched on), following a single team. However, this doesn't limit or directly affect other mechanics of the game (ie, multiplayer, theater, etc)

=sw=warlord
January 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM

512 mb ram.

Meanwhile the original xbox ran on 64mb and a 733mhz celeron and managed to run games like Doom3 and halo 2, im expecting a fair bit more to be grinded out of the xb360.

Rob Oplawar
January 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Far from it. There are so many changes and upgrades they can make to saved films, forge and multiplayer variants still. Plus, there is the possibility of the return of Firefight which itself can really be upgraded.
Granted

You're also basing everything about this game you know on old games which this game isn't.
Well, why can't I draw on experience? Halo 2, 3, and ODST were good but not great. I've said before that the Halo IP is being drawn out way too long- if you're going to keep doing it, you have to make it great, not good. Otherwise people like me start to get rather annoyed.

Campaign wise, we're on single planet (which a Halo game has never touched on), following a single team.
What about ODST?

Look, I fully expect Reach to be quite fun, and a pretty good game. But there are hundreds of fun, pretty good games out there. What is Bungie doing to set themselves apart? Little that I can see. A good game is not the same as an impressive game, and I haven't been impressed by Bungie since Halo 1. As I said, I'm hanging onto the hope that their unannounced next game will be more impressive.

e: OK, I'm not giving them enough credit. Halo 2 and Halo 3 made successive massive improvements to the multiplayer, and ODST added an awesome gametype to the mix. I have been impressed by that. I guess it's just my preference for campaign (and admittedly, visuals- ok, I'm shallow) over multiplayer that's left me disappointed. For a while I liked to think of Bungie's skill as lying in immersive universes, skillfull storytelling, etc, but in hindsight it's pretty clear that what they're so great at is fun, replayable, social multiplayer.

Kornman00
January 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
What about ODST?
It's Halo 3: ODST and therefore doesn't count :saggy:

:-p

=sw=warlord
January 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM
words
Here's a question, why exactly is it called Halo Reach, if it has nothing to do with the halo's should it not just be called "Reach"?
Since everyone is getting so picky over the slightest details i think i'l join in.
Something tell's me we will have some sort of link to halo 1 in some way or another and i don't mean visualy or design wise.

Kornman00
January 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
Oh, that's easy warlord

You see, being a prequel to the first Halo game, this game is actually how our dear friend John manages to get lucky, survive the battle of Reach and Reach Halo. Ergo, Halo Reach :downs:.

It's all about the benjamin's Halo's baby!

Yeah, we'll probably get some plug like that in ODST (when you beat the game on legendary) that ties to the first Halo. Also, I'm pretty sure we'll see a few more new skulls. ODST had some support for a few new ones but they never made it to release. I'm pretty sure the "director's cut" skull will this time though.

ejburke
January 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
The skulls are just so arbitrary and random in their effects, I don't really respect them. My ideal of Halo combat doesn't involve having to melee flying drones every third round. If Firefight was legitimate, it wouldn't need such gimmicks.

It really needs objectives and counter-objectives. The Covenant need to be trying to move a bomb in or your team is trying to keep a door shut that would give the Covenant a flanking advantage. Just killing covies for the sake of killing them, I find to be somewhat numbing.

Even adding objectives might not be enough. Halo is best when it allows you to be bold and aggressive and it's hard to feel that when you're just sitting and defending.

sevlag
January 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
for those who think the new "jackal" look is impressive, you're mislead.. the new jackal-esque enemy is called the skirmisher...

and in terms of gameplay all I have to say is it better be as fun as Halo 1, which was honestly better than H2, H3 or ODST...

Rob Oplawar
January 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM
Upon closer inspection, it looks like most if not all of those screenshots are from the same map at different times of day. My guess is it's a firefight map. Given that, I'm slightly less harsh in my criticism of the lighting, but only slightly. We'll just have to see how cool it is to play Firefight for so long that you cycle from day to night (I assume it would cycle relatively quickly). But if they pull that off right, that's one of those things that will make me more impressed with this game.

thehoodedsmack
January 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to just have day and night versions of the map, like they did in ODST?

Cagerrin
January 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
sense schmense, proper time-of-day lighting is hot.

FireDragon04
January 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Bungie have stated that all of these screenshots are pre-alpha build so the game isn't even in alpha yet so expect a whole lot to change by the time we get to try the game at the end of spring this year.

ejburke
January 22nd, 2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.edge-online.com/news/halo-reach-%E2%80%9Cbending-the-xbox-as-far-as-itll-bend%E2%80%9D

I like this quote:

Bungie also told us that improvements to Halo’s AI would offer Reach buyers plenty of replay value compared to highly scripted series like Uncharted or Call Of Duty.

"The AI system is super robust, and is taken for granted as a rich simulation,” said community director Brian Jarrard. “A lot of people don't necessarily appreciate how much of a difference that makes in their experience, the fact that everything is simulated, nothing is bolted down. You can throw a grenade in a room and it's all physically simulated. Even in our giant environments you see films in which someone will throw a grenade and it will send a Warthog flying through the air and it'll kill someone on the other side of the map. It’s one of those things which is so hard and complicated to do, but it's just underlying the whole game. It's kind of delightful that people don't appreciate how hard that stuff is to make.”Finally, they're pushing back at all the complete shitheads -- players and critics alike -- that don't have the first clue why Halo is special.

As long as a Halo FPS retains its simulated identity, it will always be my favorite FPS series by miles and miles. My own nitpicks and gripes be damned.

Warsaw
January 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Only thing I really want to see them change in Halo's mechanics is the addition of an irons system. Even the annoying melee lunge that has been in since Halo 2 can stay.

thehoodedsmack
January 22nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Only thing I really want to see them change in Halo's mechanics is the addition of an irons system. Even the annoying melee lunge that has been in since Halo 2 can stay.

Why. WHY do people like iron sights. Halo's aiming is pretty-well pinpoint to begin with. The characters have always had damn-good aim, you don't breath like a dork when you're zoomed in, I don't understand why people prefer to be looking down their barrel.

Edit: That is what you're talking about, right?

Lateksi
January 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Halo's not a 'semi realistic' shooter like COD. It's more like Unreal Tournament meets CS... I wouldn't like iron sights except maybe in a more tactical Halo game (which ODST could have been but was not).

Warsaw
January 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Why. WHY do people like iron sights. Halo's aiming is pretty-well pinpoint to begin with. The characters have always had damn-good aim, you don't breath like a dork when you're zoomed in, I don't understand why people prefer to be looking down their barrel.

Edit: That is what you're talking about, right?

I just like doing it. Has nothing to do with extra accuracy or whatever, I just don't like hip-firing at all. It feels strange that I can nail a running guy in the head with a 14.5mm sniper rifle while unscoped, or that I can unleash a volley of aimed fire from an SMG without having to bring it up to my shoulder. And Halo Reach seems to me like it's trying to be a bit more tactical; that's the only reason I suggest it.

Hell, I just want the irons. The breathing and wavering I couldn't care less about (and contrary to popular belief, holding your breath actually throws your aim off).

Heathen
January 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I agree with smack. Iron sights are dumb.

Warsaw
January 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
To each his own. At least even in the books he has a crosshair on the HUD, so not all is lost.

ejburke
January 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have issues with iron sights. It's sort of a weird functional switch in your brain. When you're out of iron sights, that's when you're making your decisions and when you're in iron sights, all you're doing is aiming. So, one can watch footage of a CoD game while holding a stopwatch and you can precisely determine the percentage that the player's brain was turned on vs when it was turned off. in the case of CoD, it seems to be a very high proportion of mindlessness.

I get the gun porn appeal of iron sights, but I think they're such a product of realism that they don't apply to hypothetical future weapons. If you were designing weapons for a game from scratch, why would you even bother with cumbersome, old-fashioned stuff that has to completely obscure your target in order to work? Why wouldn't they have sights that allow you to SEE your target and give you a better periphery view? That's basically what Halo already has.

I'd be okay with sights as a part of the presentation value if it weren't an obligation to aim down sights. If it didn't grant any kind of artificial accuracy bonus.

Warsaw
January 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Because electronic sights can fail for a number of reasons is why irons are still around and will still be around for a long time. Also, well-designed irons don't completely block your target, only shitty ones like on the M16 or G36 do.

But I do see your point.

Heathen
January 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
As long as I don't HAVE to use them, like ej said, I am okay with them.

=sw=warlord
January 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Updates out.

Right. Let’s talk a little Halo: Reach.

Builds are coming in at a blistering pace as the team continues to drive hard and fast towards the ever looming Alpha branch. The process is so break neck at times that it’s hard for us poor dudes over in the community pod to keep track and chronicle the goings on for you in any meaningful way. For example, the build that brought you the latest batch of media assets was already weeks old when we scrubbed it for screenshots. Pre-Thanksgiving, in fact. The nature of the development process is such that stability can often become a concern when the various disciplines are routinely plugging in their new pieces of technical and artistical hotness, so when it came time to show it off to our media friends, we decided to dust off one of the older, notably stable builds. Game tends to show better when it’s in rock solid working order.
Oh, and while we’re on the subject of UI, the HUD isn’t yellow anymore. It’s blue. Because Marcus said so.
This make's me very happy, i really did not like the yellow hud in ODST, didn't feel like Halo and it really did not blend well in the outdor environments...

Warsaw
January 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
I liked the yellow in ODST. I just don't think it works for Reach because the Chief's HUD was never blue, and we are still playing as Spartans after all.

Siliconmaster
January 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I liked the yellow in ODST. I just don't think it works for Reach because the Chief's HUD was never blue yellow, and we are still playing as Spartans after all.

Ftfy. :eng101:

Warsaw
January 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Should've just crossed out "never". =þ

Siliconmaster
January 22nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Too easy. ^_^

Inferno
January 23rd, 2010, 12:05 AM
I have issues with iron sights. It's sort of a weird functional switch in your brain. When you're out of iron sights, that's when you're making your decisions and when you're in iron sights, all you're doing is aiming. So, one can watch footage of a CoD game while holding a stopwatch and you can precisely determine the percentage that the player's brain was turned on vs when it was turned off. in the case of CoD, it seems to be a very high proportion of mindlessness.

http://www.zippoc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

You need to watch me or any other good player in a game. Sighting is just a minor FOV zoom and a accuracy boost. Good players strafe jump while aiming so they can dodge while sighting.

ejburke
January 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Dodging isn't exactly what I mean by making decisions, but I'm not going to argue other than to say MY brain turns off every time I'm obliged to go into tunnel vision mode.

And aren't you kind of committed to shooting and only shooting to bring a guy down with the iron sights? Halo is much more about combos of different attacks to bring a guy down than Call of Duty and that's what I love about Halo and bores me about CoD.

Kornman00
January 23rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
Personally, I had an unpleasant time adjusting my play style to meet that of COD's (not to mention how easy kills are to get). When it comes to shooters, I grew up on Golden Eye and Halo and really could give two shits less about "iron sights".

It wouldn't be Halo if it had iron sights. I don't even see why it was even brought up.

Warsaw
January 23rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
It was brought up early on in this thread when we knew nothing about Halo: Reach because some of us thought it would be a more tactical-based shooter. Then someone griped about changes in gameplay mechanics, and I said adding irons was the only thing I'd like, and not because I'm a CoD player (hate the game).

Inferno
January 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Dodging isn't exactly what I mean by making decisions, but I'm not going to argue other than to say MY brain turns off every time I'm obliged to go into tunnel vision mode.

And aren't you kind of committed to shooting and only shooting to bring a guy down with the iron sights? Halo is much more about combos of different attacks to bring a guy down than Call of Duty and that's what I love about Halo and bores me about CoD.

I don't treat iron sights as anything more than a little zoom and a accuracy boost. I usually scope in for a second to get someone then instantly sprint out to my next target. People who just scope in and slowly walk around corner and shit are stupid.

BTW I play Marathon + Stopping Power + Ninja at all times.

t3h m00kz
January 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
You need to watch me or any other good player in a game. Sighting is just a minor FOV zoom and a accuracy boost. Good players strafe jump while aiming so they can dodge while sighting.

And in my case, crouching, standing, prone, stand, jump, prone, stand, etc

sevlag
January 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM
back on track...how long do you think Reach will stand before being spoiled by MLG profags?

BobtheGreatII
January 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM
back on track...how long do you think Reach will stand before being spoiled by MLG profags?

Less than a day.

Inferno
January 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Psh. When the game is released it will already be infested by bad kids.

It's a consouless game.

FRain
January 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
ODST was infested by mlgfags days before it was out.

Lateksi
January 25th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I like the balanced MLG weapon set but not the kids that come with it. And BR BR BR ONLY gets boring after a while. If Reach was to have a MLG playlist I really hope they added some accuracy and firing rate to the plasma weapons so they could be added as actually useful tools.

TeeKup
January 25th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I don't treat iron sights as anything more than a little zoom and a accuracy boost. I usually scope in for a second to get someone then instantly sprint out to my next target. People who just scope in and slowly walk around corner and shit are stupid.

BTW I play Marathon + Stopping Power + Ninja at all times.

Thank you so fucking much. That's all there ever is on COD these days. That and whole flurry of other horse shit that I won't go into.

teh lag
January 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Swedish magazine dudes got to play.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamereactor.se%2Farti klar%2F20868%2FGamereactor%2Bspelar%2BHalo%253A%2B Reach%2F&sl=sv&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

HBO thread: http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=963909

Various highlights include the name of the helicopter-thing ("Falcon") and confirmation that it's flyable.

Plenty of pictures.

http://www.gamereactor.se/media/15/gamereactorspelarhalo_201507.jpg
http://www.gamereactor.se/media/15/gamereactorspelarhalo_201516.jpg

Even without the obviously misplaced (I hope) bitmap I really dislike that AR design.

http://www.gamereactor.se/media/15/gamereactorspelarhalo_201523.jpg
http://www.gamereactor.se/media/15/gamereactorspelarhalo_201524.jpg

On the other hand, massive T&R vibe coming from that level.

Advancebo
January 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Advancebo/needlerifle.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Advancebo/dmr3.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Advancebo/dmr2.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Advancebo/dmr1.jpg

ShadowSpartan
January 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Where are those from Advancebo?

teh lag
January 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
They seem to be printscreens from this video (http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/01/25/halo-reach-dev-commentary.aspx) of Marcus Lehto commenting on various Reach-related materials.

DEElekgolo
January 25th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Post.
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/90/88628160.png

Advancebo
January 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Photoshooped

And yes, Teh Lag is correct.

teh lag
January 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, hello.

http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/images.aspx?c=59

(Mega-highres of just about every pic posted so far).

sdavis117
January 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/ReachCampaign_m10_firstperson.jpg

What is with the crosshairs being so off-center?

Heathen
January 25th, 2010, 08:37 PM
wiimote support

Teltaur
January 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
There's been a ton of debate on it at Bungie.net, with theories all the way from a hologram ability (mentioned in leaks), location tagging, Natal support, or the reticle moving when turning, to just a graphical glitch or bug. Even though, I'm a little surprised not a single media outlet or leak source would mention it if it wasn't a feature of some kind.

DEElekgolo
January 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
What's this? The radar showing elevation?

sdavis117
January 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
There's been a ton of debate on it at Bungie.net, with theories all the way from a hologram ability (mentioned in leaks), location tagging, Natal support, or the reticle moving when turning, to just a graphical glitch or bug. Even though, I'm a little surprised not a single media outlet or leak source would mention it if it wasn't a feature of some kind.
Considering blood is spraying from the Jackal thing right in front of the AR, I would be inclined to think it is just a graphical glitch, but it would be strange to use a glitch as a screenshot.

ejburke
January 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Looks like a debug cursor.

Warsaw
January 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM
What's this? The radar showing elevation?

Oh look, they've almost caught up to Battlezone in features on the radar!

FRain
January 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Lieutenant's spartan number is S-312 according to the personnel page on bungie.

k4is3rxkh40s
January 25th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Considering blood is spraying from the Jackal thing right in front of the AR, I would be inclined to think it is just a graphical glitch, but it would be strange to use a glitch as a screenshot.

I don't think that's blood, looks more like some sort of flowers to me. Also; maybe it's some sort of homing/lock-on missile attachment on secondary fire or something? Could possible explain being so far off center and red when it's not aimed on anything visible

Advancebo
January 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I win
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/7b564989ce2c6e57c43d4e82dc6ee07fa92289fd.png

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
You mirrored and centered the original shield bar?