View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Futzy
February 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
map stories?
I meant discussions.

Arteen
February 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Those new skirmish gametypes in Invasion are pretty fun, although the map choices are all cramped.

Necr0matic
February 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM
With respect to the additions to Invasion, I'm not a fan. I do actually like the new Skirmish gametypes but I'd prefer them to be put into Slayer or in their own playlist. I'm an Objective player and Invasion was my favorite playlist. However, since the changes, all anyone ever wants to play is the Skirmish games! I played eight invasion games in a row the other day praying to play an actual invasion objective game and all eight games ended up being Slayer (Skirmish).

DarkHalo003
February 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Those maps look awesome. I may have to renew my XBL when they come out. Really digging their environments.

Ellis
February 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM
So ummm can someone tell me how Halo: Reach is now adays? I haven't played since around.. October? Maybe November? I just kind of lost interest when I had a heavy work load for class. I might pick it up again now though.

Arteen
February 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM
With respect to the additions to Invasion, I'm not a fan. I do actually like the new Skirmish gametypes but I'd prefer them to be put into Slayer or in their own playlist. I'm an Objective player and Invasion was my favorite playlist. However, since the changes, all anyone ever wants to play is the Skirmish games! I played eight invasion games in a row the other day praying to play an actual invasion objective game and all eight games ended up being Slayer (Skirmish).
I haven't had any problems getting both regular Invasion and slayer/skirmish gametypes in the playlist. Heck, I wish I had your luck so I wouldn't get stuck in another damned match of Invasion: Boneyard. Bungie needs to move up the offensive spawn points on Spire and Boneyard to be more like Breakpoint. If you're an Elite in phase 1 of Boneyard and your battle bro leaves, you're pretty much useless and it sucks. At least in Breakpoint you aren't too far from the action wherever you spawn.

sevlag
February 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
anyone see the video for that condemned map? its on youtube

NotZac
February 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
You can watch videos of all the Defiant Maps here: http://www.aushaloplays.net/n36-hd-gameplay-defiant-map-pack

Highlands has an amazing Halo 1 feel to it. I love what I see so far.

Teltaur
February 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I watched them earlier, and I really have to agree. Honestly, these 343i maps seem to match the "Halo" feel a little more than most of the retail Bungie maps, even though they're still clearly Reach-esque. The only question now is how they'll actually play (I really don't like the idea of 2 Sniper Rifles on a closed map like Condemned)

TeeKup
February 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM
So the vehicle based firefight map has a single rocket hog...oh fucking boy I'm so excited.
/sarcasm

Also the rocky path area where the Rocket hog was driving is eerily similar to Paradise Lost.

Kornman00
February 14th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Would have been nice if there was at least a ghost too (even Beachhead has one!). Or better yet, throw a Falcon down on that helipad. I mean, who doesn't want to firefight in a omnipotent air assault vehicle? I know I do.

I got a feeling that what was put on pnet isn't actually the final build however, so we'll see.

Arteen
February 14th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I'd rather see a gauss hog or chaingun hog instead of a rocket hog. We already have Beachhead for that. Why not throw in a revenant too?

Kornman00
February 14th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Or make a device which spawns a single heavy vehicle (ie, anything other than ghosts or geese) of your choice :mech2:? Since they can't really go back and add new vehicle parameters to FF variants.

Pooky
February 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
So the vehicle based firefight map has a single rocket hog...oh fucking boy I'm so excited.
/sarcasm

Also the rocky path area where the Rocket hog was driving is eerily similar to Paradise Lost.

Man you should be excited. Those rockets are so powerful that they can explode right in an Elite's face on Normal and still not kill it!

Devastating!

Hotrod
February 14th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Is it just me, or do I not recognize this helmet? And there seems to be a different chest plate too cause there's a metal ring around the collar.

Taken from some Defiant Map Pack screenshots, credit for the find goes to some bloke on Bungie.net.

EDIT : Oh, and here's the trailer to the map pack. The maps look amazing and the music is a beautiful rehash of older Halo music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdzihZV-IQ&feature=player_embedded

TeeKup
February 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Wasn't that song in Halo legends Origin II? I really liked it.

EDIT: yep:
8QKvFYQaOkw

DarkHalo003
February 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Would have been nice if there was at least a ghost too (even Beachhead has one!). Or better yet, throw a Falcon down on that helipad. I mean, who doesn't want to firefight in a omnipotent air assault vehicle? I know I do.

I got a feeling that what was put on pnet isn't actually the final build however, so we'll see.
I agree here. But it's not like there's not room for it in the future. Sure, it may cost another 800 MS points, but I think it's worth enjoyment.

I just started playing Reach again today after about a month of an RPG fix. It felt great. It reminds me why I find Halo to be so awesome in the first place.

annihilation
February 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I can't wait for the new maps.

@Hotrod: dlc armor :iamafag:

sevlag
February 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
nope.avi

the helmet is the EOD (look closely) and the chest is kat's chest piece (sans robotic arm)

Delta4907
February 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Kat uses the default chest piece.

annihilation
February 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
It's not EOD either. EOD doesn't have those bolts sticking out of the side.

E: Skirmigeddon, the only time a FF match ended because I ran out of lives.

Futzy
February 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
nope.avi

the helmet is the EOD (look closely) and the chest is kat's chest piece (sans robotic arm)
Nope to both of those. The only other piece comparable to that is Jorge's chest, but it has team coloring. This is circular and gray. The helmet has an orange optical unit and Silver ears, which no other helmet has.

DarkHalo003
February 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM
nope.avi

But there is no robot arm and it's not EOD due to the massive optical on the right side of the face.

I think there may be attachment DLC. Just a thought though.

And I'm still experiencing a lot of quitters. I can't wait to go to college and have a good connection with direct ethernet into the wall.

Hotrod
February 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
That armour is nothing like EOD, look at the grey bulbs on the side, and it has a long thin visor with a Gungnir-type camera on it. And the top of the helmet doesn't look like any helmet we've seen, same goes with the chest.

I'm thinking maybe disc locked content?

Shock120
February 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm thinking maybe disc locked content?Yes, this.
Or it doesn't exist in retail build of the game.

ejburke
February 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Whether that armor is in the game or not in the game, it isn't worth anything. You guys are getting worked up over a glimmer of a hope of a possibility and ignoring the mediocre, frankenstein'd, cobbled-together reality of the situation. If they could make new armor and were going to make new armor, I would hope that they would do better than that.

Spartan094
February 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yes, this.
Or it doesn't exist in retail build of the game.
It doesn't exist in the retail build of the game. Or I think, never seen it at all in the files.

Hotrod
February 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe they're files that are disguised as something else and can only be accessed by having the specific code that lets you access it (like the Recon attachment and Officer armour)? I dunno much about all that stuff, just throwing out ideas.

sevlag
February 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe they're files that are disguised as something else and can only be accessed by having the specific code that lets you access it (like the Recon attachment and Officer armour)? I dunno much about all that stuff, just throwing out ideas.
but i thought we establoshed all existing armor can be seen via the vanity armor generator

ShadowSpartan
February 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
but i thought we establoshed all existing armor can be seen via the vanity armor generator
As far as I am aware, vanity does display all of the armor that is in the spartans render model tag in Reach. I don't think that the model shown in the pictures exists in the retail game. I'm really curious to see how they ended up adding that armor, that's assuming it is legit and going to be added via DLC.

Though, if it was an actually new armor piece being added with the map pack, don't you think Bungie would have mentioned that in the article in order to hype the Defiant map pack?

Hotrod
February 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Wasn't vanity used by extracting the model files from Reach and then injecting them into Vanity? So, if there model files are hidden or disguised until given the proper codes, then they wouldn't have been able to extract these models to put into Vanity, right?

TeeKup
February 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Been playing a lot recently. Skirmish on Unanchored has to be my favorite thing so far. Breakpoint is really good on 1-flag CTF and Invasion. What it comes down to on invasion really depends on who is in the falcon and banshee and who can control the air (of course that's just invasion in general.)

ShadowSpartan
February 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Wasn't vanity used by extracting the model files from Reach and then injecting them into Vanity? So, if there model files are hidden or disguised until given the proper codes, then they wouldn't have been able to extract these models to put into Vanity, right?
You really have no clue how extraction works, nor Vanity. All of the sections from the spartans render model tag were extracted to some format, then imported into max. CAD or CV gave the models to veegie, he then set up a method for rendering each of the different permutations in 3ds max. Vanity just displays rendered images in the application, the actual model data is not inside of the application. It is explained here (http://veegie.com/Vanity/#Development) what he did.

As for "model files" being hidden, that's not really possible. Someone would have found the render model tag already in the map files, you can't hide a tag in a map file using a "code". Just curious, have you even worked with the Halo engine(s) before?

Hotrod
February 15th, 2011, 10:59 PM
You really have no clue how extraction works, nor Vanity. All of the sections from the spartans render model tag were extracted to some format, then imported into max. CAD or CV gave the models to veegie, he then set up a method for rendering each of the different permutations in 3ds max. Vanity just displays rendered images in the application, the actual model data is not inside of the application. It is explained here (http://veegie.com/Vanity/#Development) what he did.

As for "model files" being hidden, that's not really possible. Someone would have found the render model tag already in the map files, you can't hide a tag in a map file using a "code". Just curious, have you even worked with the Halo engine(s) before?
No, I don't have any idea how Vanity works which is why I was asking that, but I knew it wasn't like the Halo 3 armor generators where it just linked to a variety of different images. And yes, I've played a lot with Halo PC/Halo Custom Edition and Halo 2, and have made many mods since I started modding in, oh, 2005? And no, I can't show you any proof of such mods since I've never posted any online and they were almost all on my old computer which died a few years back anyway (and yeah, you might say "pics or gtfo", but you'll just have to take my word for it) Of course, I haven't looked into Halo 3, ODST or Reach, so I wasn't sure if they changed much in the ways of how things worked.

Well, I guess you really do learn more every day, but hey, a man has the right to speculate, no?

Arteen
February 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Maybe the new armor is just some running joke they'll have with all of the map packs. The Noble map pack had that operator variant you can't actually get.

Shock120
February 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Maybe the new armor is just some running joke they'll have with all of the map packs. The Noble map pack had that operator variant you can't actually get.This, like every other joke Bungie has done. xD

itU5hv2lxpM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100402010942/halo/images/f/f1/Mountain_Dew_emblem.png
C4XFBLPVHDo

Edit:

KillerSkippy21A, asked Evil Otto once more (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=56601704&postRepeater1-p=1).
This armor does not exist in retail build of the game. :3

Hotrod
February 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe the new armor is just some running joke they'll have with all of the map packs. The Noble map pack had that operator variant you can't actually get.
Yeah, maybe...and that's very probable too. I suppose we'll eventually find out the truth :P

DarkHalo003
February 16th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, maybe...and that's very probable too. I suppose we'll eventually find out the truth :P
Or maybe its a variant exclusive to employee discs?

Futzy
February 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Or it's just someone at 343 messing around since they'd have access to the same shared build systems that Bungie uses.

ShadowSpartan
February 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Or it's just someone at 343 messing around since they'd have access to the same shared build systems that Bungie uses.
Certain Affinity made the maps, not 343.

Not possible, you should know better since I know that you have worked with the engines. Think about tags/map files, it would have to be on everyone's disc in order for people to even see it.

DarkHalo003
February 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Not possible, you should know better since I know that you have worked with the engines. Think about tags/map files, it would have to be on everyone's disc in order for people to even see it.
Just a guess. Didn't Bungie say the armor would be map exclusive if it was added? Or was that someone else here?

ShadowSpartan
February 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Just a guess. Didn't Bungie say the armor would be map exclusive if it was added? Or was that someone else here?
The only thing I have heard about armor from Bungie was a message that someone got from Evil Otto, here (http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/Liam_Moore1/OttoScreenshot.jpg) is the screenshot.

sevlag
February 16th, 2011, 08:23 PM
The only thing I have heard about armor from Bungie was a message that someone got from Evil Otto, here (http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/Liam_Moore1/OttoScreenshot.jpg) is the screenshot.
but how can armor be map exclusive if the armory is a .map file itself (IIRC from reading, shadow prove me wrong if need be)

as far as im going to bother any more, its probably just model swaps similar to what you can do with H:CE

Futzy
February 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
CA works with 343.

Kornman00
February 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
In order armor pieces to be selectable they have to be in the mainmenu.map which hosts the actual interface for configuring your biped. In addition, there are explicit tags related to player rewards which are shared across all maps. Since tag data is statically linked into each cache file (vs shared resource data, which can be externally referenced, eg campaign.map), new player rewards (ie, model customization) could only be done by rebuilding all cache files.

e: CA does contract work. For instance, they helped with the newest CoD. Since they have Bungie vets, it would make sense for them to work with tools and concepts which they already have previous experience in (as they did with Halo 2). "Easy" money. It relives 343i of the DLC burden (the actual production part anyway) when they're already doing so much more and are probably still trying to figure out if they're going to use a 3rd party engine or an internal engine for their first Halo game (and they're still hiring senior positions (http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/343-Industries-Jobs/190537/?&title=&location=&date=&sortby=7&sortdir=desc)).

sevlag
February 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
In order armor pieces to be selectable they have to be in the mainmenu.map which hosts the actual interface for configuring your biped. In addition, there are explicit tags related to player rewards which are shared across all maps. Since tag data is statically linked into each cache file (vs shared resource data, which can be externally referenced, eg campaign.map), new player rewards (ie, model customization) could only be done by rebuilding all cache files.

e: CA does contract work. For instance, they helped with the newest CoD. Since they have Bungie vets, it would make sense for them to work with tools and concepts which they already have previous experience in (as they did with Halo 2). "Easy" money. It relives 343i of the DLC burden (the actual production part anyway) when they're already doing so much more and are probably still trying to figure out if they're going to use a 3rd party engine or an internal engine for their first Halo game (and they're still hiring senior positions (http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/343-Industries-Jobs/190537/?&title=&location=&date=&sortby=7&sortdir=desc)).go work for them korn im sure we could use actual flexibility with this next halo (and possibly a PC port)

Kornman00
February 16th, 2011, 11:38 PM
While I've always been interested in shared tag data and dynamic tag data mechanisms (albeit, not in the way H2V did it), I'm pretty sure they've already came up with such technology or are currently prototyping designs (though, IIRC, they're already past pre-production). Based on what has been said already and some educated guessing, I'd bet their next game will allow new game content (ie, not just maps) to be added via DLC.

Arteen
February 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Damnit Bungie, code your game properly. Yet again, the game has skipped one of my team's turns on offense.

EDIT: Skipping both of my team's turns on offense.

DarkHalo003
February 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Has anyone else noticed laggier games? I've also apparently had better bandwidth since Bungie repaired the servers, but I still either have games that lag once then continue okay or games that lag-out/suffer greatly from lag.

Kornman00
February 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Oni...on Legendary...with LASO? For only 11k?

Yeah, fuck that shit.

annihilation
February 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Hunters with LASO. :gonk:

Kornman00
February 21st, 2011, 06:27 AM
Holy frack, I totally forgot about the Hunters.

Heh, and I bet the wraiths will still be standing even after 2 carpet bombs :ugh:

Great, now I'm in the mood for some Halo Wars.

DarkHalo003
February 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Holy frack, I totally forgot about the Hunters.

Heh, and I bet the wraiths will still be standing even after 2 carpet bombs :ugh:

Great, now I'm in the mood for some Halo Wars.
Yeah, thanks jerk, and I just started playing New Vegas for the first time. :/

Spartan094
February 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hunters with LASO. :gonk:
Guass cannon hog, not hard to speed it over the road blocks.

Fyi don't forget the FRG General at the end and Spec Op elites also at the end. Don't forget BOB's.

TeeKup
February 21st, 2011, 04:11 PM
About to take a crack at that.

Also I played my very first game of griffball yesterday. Was actually REALLY fun. Kinda been missing out.

NotZac
February 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM
I did LASO Winter Contingency solo, wasn't so hard because much of the level could have been skipped anyway. :C I do not however wish to even try to turn on the damn AA turret and communication tower.

Oh, yeah, then Hunters.

Kornman00
February 22nd, 2011, 05:12 AM
How did you skip those parts?

Necr0matic
February 22nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
If I were to rattle off some tips, it would be a giant wall of text. I can say that you should let Kat do most of the work though. Let her drop enemy shields and then you can finish them off. Take out grunts and jackals yourself though, she's hopeless against them.

Kornman00
February 22nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
I came across a post on HBO that said Blind doesn't have to be on this time. I may, MAY, do it now...may.

annihilation/Reveanant....front and center, we've got a job to do

http://cdn100btc.bluehatnetwork.com/components/com_joomgallery/img_pictures/animated_gifs_1/ghost-buster-dance-animated-gif_20090414_1838973915.gif

Arteen
February 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Yep, no blind. The in-game challenge screen shows every skull but blind.

EDIT: For the time it would take to actually beat the challenge (if you can even manage it), you would get more credits just playing regular matchmaking. And would have more fun.

Kornman00
February 22nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
annihilation and I did it in 2hrs and 20mins. That extra 20mins was us trying to get a reveanant into the elevator lobby room (never did it). I think I can speak for the both of us when I say we had a lot more fun doing this on than the LASO on WC. The vehicles made it at least entertaining (and plausible in some encounters).

Arteen
February 22nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
What did you do about the hunters in the lobby?

TeeKup
February 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Kornman, mind going at it again today with me? Maybe me you and Sever could take a whack at it.

annihilation
February 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
What did you do about the hunters in the lobby?

Kornman got the revenant behind that short wall in the lobby and the hunters couldn't shoot him so he took them out one by one while I took out the Elite and Grunts.

Also, it was way more fun than WC. The last part wasn't as hard as we thought it would be.

NotZac
February 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Fuck that. Forty-five minutes into the level, I've made it past the AA turret section and am heading to the communication relay. A Grunt, out of nowhere, tosses a plasma grenade at the rear-right wheel of my Warthog. I'm dead.

To anyone who suggested that the Target Locator wouldn't take out a Wraith, you've been proven right. Unless every strike nails the Wraith, it will stand strong. Bullshit.

TeeKup
February 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah I just kinda gave up....Fuck that....

Arteen
February 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Stupid buggy challenges. My 25 kills apparently aren't enough for the "21 kills in a match challenge".

NotZac
February 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
I didn't have any problems with that challenge. A really bugged challenge is "Just Hold On...". Just because I die in the first round does not mean I should be ineligible for the later two rounds.

CabooseJr
February 23rd, 2011, 07:18 AM
I need somebody with a non-cobby connection to go through this with me.

Kornman00
February 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Kornman, mind going at it again today with me? Maybe me you and Sever could take a whack at it.
Get a third person with a decent connection (mind can be sorta meh) and I'm down, yeah. Will have to start at or before 4pm PST though (any day)

Arteen
February 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Reach hates me. I won a rumble pit match to 25, but only got 21/25 in the The Love of the Game challenge. At least this challenge is cumulative.

NotZac
February 23rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Just beat ONI LASO solo. My God, took three damn hours today. What a waste, I deserve 50,000 credits for this accomplishment.

Also, if any of you are also mad enough to go for this alone, I'd be happy to lend some tips (to those who are doing it with friends as well).

Arteen
February 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
It's too bad Bungie sucks at making their Invasion maps fun on anything but Invasion. Breakpoint could have been a fun take on Avalanche/Sidewinder, or even the defending side could've been nice map on its own. Just a bit more thought and complexity into the layout. And if the layout was too complex for Invasion, just lock a few of the doors and windows. But no, it's just a sniper/banshee campfest with buildings that don't have much of a structure or purpose.

I would love it if they took some of the Halo 3 maps, touched up the graphics, and released them for Reach. Easy money. Reach sorely needs some good big team battle maps.

The Pit
Ghost Town
Rat's Nest
Standoff
Valhalla
Avalanche
Last Resort
800 msp?

Kornman00
February 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't expect Bungie to just straight up port any maps, especially with armor abilities now in the mix and various other changes (eg, physics). 343i maybe. Bungie is pretty anal with testing. They'll want to actually put those maps into the Reach engine, not just port them, then Reachtest, Reachtest, Reachtest.

Frankly, I'd just rather have another Forge World getup. Hey, this time they can use Valhalla instead of BG!

edit: Defiant Drops March 15th (http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=32475).

NotZac
February 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'd like a Forge World space that focuses around human-world geometry. Pieces that, you know, aren't all the same shade of gray.

jcap
February 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
idk, if you got human geometry, you'd get a lot of pieces that are the same shade of white...

see: New Alexandria

NotZac
February 24th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I was going for more of the original Foundry-esque art style. Perhaps like Boneyard.

Warsaw
February 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I would like a Forgeworld map that isn't blue sky, green grass, and grey mountains. Seriously, worst venue ever. I feel like I'm playing a Gmod sandbox map.

Lateksi
February 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Check this out! The guy's got some funny moves.
qMB0phKrzpA

Arteen
February 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
The next Forge World just needs pieces that are more significantly affected by the object color option. Change the color of the whole object, not some tiny detail.

Despite all of Bungie's testing and iteration, I've seen little love for any of Reach's maps. And we still somehow ended up with Hemorrhage and Paradiso. Hopefully some of the community maps are great for BTB. I loved BTB in Halo 3 but the Reach maps aren't any good for it. They make Sandtrap look like a masterpiece.

At least Bungie has started to make some minor improvements to the game, like the giving hologram to the shotgun loadout and giving AL to the grenade launcher loadout, giving Elite Slayer's AL loadout a plasma rifle instead of the needler and lowering the initial grenades to 1, introducing overshields to some of the firefight gametypes, and adding the new skirmish gametypes in Invasion. But there's still huge room for improvement. Toning down the melee damage and removing AL from most gametypes would do wonders.

Also, the loadout menu is buggy piece of crap. It shouldn't be so difficult for the game to actually give me the loadout I selected, or to not reset it to the default after every host migration, or to give me a few extra seconds when I'm trying to decide, or to even let me select one at all. As much as Bungie's design decisions irk me, these basic usabilty issues are indefensible.

Cortexian
February 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
@Lateksi, I don't usually like Halo montages because people stick to one generic style of play. That guy had some awesome moves and really impressed me haha.

Delta4907
February 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Lookie here:
http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/115/1151873/halo-reach-20110224004158325.jpg

Kornman00
February 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Fucking devs and their fucking resources :shakefist:. It should be illegal to take release pictures with non-release content in it. That or there should be a law which requires MS to pay Gearbox to port Reach to PC when they do. Oh and to finish H2V.

removing AL from most gametypes
Nope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14)

Arteen
February 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Fucking devs and their fucking resources :shakefist:. It should be illegal to take release pictures with non-release content in it. That or there should be a law which requires MS to pay Gearbox to port Reach to PC when they do. Oh and to finish H2V.
Also, 5 spartans in one of the Unearthed pics.

Nope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14)
AL: Making the impossible possible.

Kornman00
February 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
You sure the 5th wasn't a hologram :downs:?

Also, I'm an AL'ing fiend. Can't pop this 8). Halo PCers have the pistol. Us Reachers have our AL.

Shock120
February 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Lookie here:
http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/115/1151873/halo-reach-20110224004158325.jpgBS.

Halo Reach 'Defiant Map Pack' DLC dated - Computerandvideogames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290772/news/halo-reach-defiant-map-pack-dlc-dated/)

Halo:Reach "Defiant" Map Pack Hits XBL On March 15 - gamefocus.ca (http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=13032)

Halo: Reach Defiant maps coming March 15 - joystix.com (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/24/halo-reach-defiant-release-date/)

Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack Preview - IGN.com (http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/115/1152004p1.html)

No one is saying anything about it, I already know it doesn't exist.

Fucking devs and their fucking resources :shakefist:. It should be illegal to take release pictures with non-release content in it. That or there should be a law which requires MS to pay Gearbox to port Reach to PC when they do. Oh and to finish H2V.<3

Arteen
February 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
It might be an oddly-thrown corpse, but it can't be a hologram because of everyone except the guy shooting the focus rifle is using jetpacks.

AL just isn't any fun to play against. Your got a nice stick with the plasma grenade? Nope. Took out a guy's shields and are about to line up one last headshot? Nope. Caught some guy off-guard and alone? Nope. About to get any sort of kill? Nope. It's not bad on larger maps, but in close quarters and more than a few people are using it, it's just no fun and turns the whole match into an armor lock fest. Matches are usually when I don't run into anyone using armor lock.

DarkHalo003
February 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
The next Forge World just needs pieces that are more significantly affected by the object color option. Change the color of the whole object, not some tiny detail.

Despite all of Bungie's testing and iteration, I've seen little love for any of Reach's maps. And we still somehow ended up with Hemorrhage and Paradiso. Hopefully some of the community maps are great for BTB. I loved BTB in Halo 3 but the Reach maps aren't any good for it. They make Sandtrap look like a masterpiece.

At least Bungie has started to make some minor improvements to the game, like the giving hologram to the shotgun loadout and giving AL to the grenade launcher loadout, giving Elite Slayer's AL loadout a plasma rifle instead of the needler and lowering the initial grenades to 1, introducing overshields to some of the firefight gametypes, and adding the new skirmish gametypes in Invasion. But there's still huge room for improvement. Toning down the melee damage and removing AL from most gametypes would do wonders.

Also, the loadout menu is buggy piece of crap. It shouldn't be so difficult for the game to actually give me the loadout I selected, or to not reset it to the default after every host migration, or to give me a few extra seconds when I'm trying to decide, or to even let me select one at all. As much as Bungie's design decisions irk me, these basic usabilty issues are indefensible.
I hope that Certain Affinity heads this. Highlands looks really cool and so does the other map for MP. Both environments look intriguing and could be nice to roam in on a larger scale. I'd certainly like anew Forge World, potentially an Urban map, or at least one with a mix between Technology and Nature.

I liked Sandtrap; it was fun for non-competitive play and AR starts (vehicles were actually needed/were a threat, remind you of a map in Reach right now?) and ideal for Social BTB (WHERE THE HELL IS IT IN REACH?). Reach's maps are only okay for Multi-Team, Invasion, and possibly Arena. Otherwise, I really haven't enjoyed my BTB and Medium-sized gametypes that much. Breakpoint could have been better, but it's too small to be incredible. Tempest is honestly the only decent map for anything not Invasion or Multi-Team in my opinion. Anchor 9 is a lot of fun in Invasion Skirmish though. I think Highlands will make a good BTB though.

I like AL and I think it's been properly addressed - removed from Arena and kept in vehicle-heavy gametypes. It can be upsetting in anything less than large-scale gametypes or pointless in DMR-heavy gametypes (It's obnoxious to delay the inevitable on Boneyard in a DMRs BTB game when you're out in the open, no shields, and have just sprung AL in hopes of somehow surviving), but I think it's addressed decently everywhere else.

I don't know how Bungie has kept it Host-styled instead of dedicated server-styled (where the server IS the main conduit in which connections are shared) after all of the years of obnoxiousness involving host migration and lag. Then again, have half a million people on at once with varying connections (half of which jsut plain suck like my own) would probably explode the servers or something. Idk, but I don't think anything that happens after Host Migration is really Bungie's fault, but just the limit of technology available. Keep in mind, just because something goes awry in Bungie's game, doesn't exactly mean it's their fault. Lag is in every MP game on XBL and it's fairly obvious the annoyances that come from it aren't intended by the designers. Older players (college-age and beyond) know to fix their connections to be good for XBL, but younger players are at the mercy of their guardians and thus will have whatever limited connection their providers are willing to use (my current issue regarding XBL, even though I have two yellows and a green for my connection check in the Reach menu, I lag like crazy now and can't play Invasion anymore making me very :sadface:.) It's just the old technology conflicting with the new, I believe, and is just how each connection probably interacts (a 12-year old Linksys modem will be less potent/compatible with interactions involving a recent model).

DarkHalo003
February 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Do it. Now. MAKE CERTAIN AFFINITY FINISH H2V. NOW!

Donut
February 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
so the other day i had this great idea for a firefight map, but when i went into forge, i could not for the life of me figure out how to forge firefight maps. then it occurred to me that you probably cant.

can you forge firefight maps?

Spartan094
February 24th, 2011, 09:57 PM
can you forge firefight maps?
Vat. You can't use forge on firefight maps...where have you been?

Donut
February 24th, 2011, 10:00 PM
i bought this game when i came out, played through the campaign once, and played a couple games online, all in one day. i just picked it up and started playing again a couple days ago, and before that i hadnt touched it since day 1.

sucks though. i wanted to make a firefight map. but i guess that makes sense that you cant forge your own, to prevent credit farming. of course bungie could always just disallow scoring of credits on custom firefight maps or something...

Kornman00
February 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
If Bungie had the time, I'm sure they would have included forge for firefight maps, along with multiple other cut ideas/features. If they had the time.

Kornman00
February 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Saw your post on HBO Arteen, then saw the unearthed screenshot. WTF.

http://kornner.com/yelo/halo_reach/1kihT.jpg

Shock120
February 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Saw your post on HBO Arteen, then saw the unearthed screenshot. WTF.

http://kornner.com/yelo/halo_reach/1kihT.jpgThose same images have been given to all game review sites (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Halo+reach+defiant+march+15&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=).

Kornman00
February 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Okay?

ejburke
February 25th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Simple explanation: the image was composited from several images to make the scene look more exciting. A Phantom wouldn't fly in with so many enemies left. And if the Phantom was leaving after a drop-off, the enemies wouldn't be so spread out.

Kornman00
February 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
There's two phantoms per wave, so the other troops could be from a far right phantom drop. Also, the game can still reinforce when there are a few turds floating around.

Since this is not Bungie though, a composite image is more likely.

DarkHalo003
February 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Or maybe it's the Focus Rifle guy's Hologram since he doesn't have a jet pack? Just saying, although I see what you guys mean, which kind of makes me :( that they would have to do that.

Arteen
February 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/p/3087/19290.aspx#19290

There is no new armor coming with the Defiant Map Pack. On March 15th, you can look forward to three new maps: Condemned (supports 6 - 12 players), Highlands (supports 8 - 16 players), and Unearthed (supports up to 4 players in Firefight mode).Basically they're incompetent and/or dicks.

Kornman00
February 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
#5 could be #2's hologram. However, it sort of looks like #5's spartan is looking/aiming to its left while its legs are moving in a forward motion. I'm sure they have settings at the office which allows them to up the defined max player counts, and since this was probably on a LAN, a 5 to 8 person synchronous game would probably be playable without noticeable input lag.

Shock120
February 25th, 2011, 06:01 PM
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/p/3087/19290.aspx#19290

Basically they're incompetent and/or dicks.http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=30783
And for the rest of Bnet to read. :D

Kornman00
February 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM
This week's blame stosh is fanfreakingtastic

Arteen
February 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM
This week's blame stosh is fanfreakingtastic
Oh Jorge.

annihilation
February 26th, 2011, 04:13 AM
#5 could be #2's hologram. However, it sort of looks like #5's spartan is looking/aiming to its left while its legs are moving in a forward motion. I'm sure they have settings at the office which allows them to up the defined max player counts, and since this was probably on a LAN, a 5 to 8 person synchronous game would probably be playable without noticeable input lag.

Or maybe AI spartans?

Arteen
February 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I'm warming up to Atom now. It's nice and straight-forward compared to any of Bungie's maps. I've been having a lot of fun in Firefight Arcade too, trying to get a certain medal each match, like Sunburst, Triple Double, or Corrected. My next goal is a splatter spree on Courtyard. I will make it happen.

EDIT: Hemmorage could really use some more kill zones. So many BS places to hide, especially with jetpacks.

DarkHalo003
February 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm warming up to Atom now. It's nice and straight-forward compared to any of Bungie's maps. I've been having a lot of fun in Firefight Arcade too, trying to get a certain medal each match, like Sunburst, Triple Double, or Corrected. My next goal is a splatter spree on Courtyard. I will make it happen.

EDIT: Hemmorage could really use some more kill zones. So many BS places to hide, especially with jetpacks.
And more cover on the ground. Speaking of which, I've been working on a map variant that does that and changes things up a bit. I'll post it soon, but the best way to describe the changes would be that Hemorrhage had an odd geometric movement that carried red base back to a higher location. It still needs work though, mainly getting more cover in some spots on Blue's side and what not.

Necr0matic
February 28th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I just played a game on Asylum against a team of four. One guy on the other team would use camouflage and grab the sniper. Whenever his camo would run out he would hide until it came back, then go back to being impossible to kill while having the most powerful weapon on the map.

Just to make it more fun, his teammates were protecting the hell out of him. You couldn't get close to him. One guy would stay close with a shotgun and the other two would DMR anyone that got within 50 feet of him. I've never got so annoyed in my life.

And how about this. Bungie just now changed it to where you can't use armor lock when deactivating a bomb in assault. Why the hell did it take them 5 months to realize that it was retarded to let people do this?

edit new weekly/daily challenges:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3802/56357234.png

jcap
February 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM
My next goal is a splatter spree on Courtyard. I will make it happen.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=194103506&player=jcap14

:realsmug:

Arteen
February 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=194103506&player=jcap14

:realsmug:
Damn, nice. How did you even do that?

Kornman00
February 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
crash site has 2x shields and the covies are only focused on that damn generator

Hotrod
February 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I've beaten a game of Crashsite on Courtyard before as well. Not too tough :P

Kornman00
February 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
He was referring to jcap's Sunday Driver...

Donut
February 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM
god damn 1500 kills? i mean, the 4 daily challenges are easy. a couple games of swat and you have them.

whats the best gametype for alot of kills though.... invasion?

Hotrod
February 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
He was referring to jcap's Sunday Driver...
Oh, I didn't see that :P

Wait...what? How did he manage that?

=sw=warlord
February 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Oh, I didn't see that :P

Wait...what? How did he manage that?
you can get it using the concussion riffle and making the destroyed fork lift splatter everything.

Donut
February 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
did they change the damage tables or something? i just played a game of invasion where one melee killed me when i had full shields and no prior damage
E: and is there something causing me to be matched with higher rank players? it seems in every game i play im the only warrant officer where everyone else is a captain or colonal or something

p0lar_bear
February 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM
did they change the damage tables or something? i just played a game of invasion where one melee killed me when i had full shields and no prior damage
E: and is there something causing me to be matched with higher rank players? it seems in every game i play im the only warrant officer where everyone else is a captain or colonal or something

Military rank ain't much more than an indicator of how long someone's spent boosting in Firefight playing the game. Skill rank is hidden, remember?

Donut
February 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Oh. no i did not know that. that explains it then

Kornman00
February 28th, 2011, 05:52 PM
whats the best gametype for alot of kills though.... invasion?
Griffball, if you have a decent connection. No one really has the upper hand in that playlist (no power weapons, etc). You get a maximum of 5 rounds and since this weekly challenge is so fucking huge, you'll MORE than likely have team mates (or enemy teams) who hog the ball until the last second. Assuming you don't have shit teammates, that could give you anywhere from 40 to 100 kills in a single game (with all 5 rounds)

To top things off, it's also the best fucking playlist to get multikills, bar none. Well, again, assuming you have a decent connection.

Donut
February 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
oh holy shit i totally forgot about griffball. thanks for the tip korn :iamafag:

Kornman00
February 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
:iamafag:

TeeKup
February 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Grifball has to be the only thing I really play anymore. It's really fun and it lacks the DMR spam.

NotZac
March 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
^

Botolf
March 1st, 2011, 08:10 PM
BTB Spire + Jetpack Loadout = Botolf's Halo Reach Happy Place

Here's the science as to why:

- Rollin' with Jetpack Bros
- Rollin' the other team's Jetpack Hoes
- Sneaking around undetected
- Dropping down behind people and giving 'em trach scars
- Bailing out to make a quick escape

Kornman00
March 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
*sees Botolf on motion sensors*

*armor locks*

*team mates move in for the kill*

*walks away*, Haters gonna hate.

Arteen
March 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I just don't get BTB Spire. There's no particular flow to the map and it's much too large for 16 players. It's boring.

Necr0matic
March 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Spire and Boneyard need an overhaul in weapon placement, spawn points, and objective locations.

All the power weapons are clustered way too close together and both maps, and in the case of Boneyard, the team that spawns in the underpass has a much easier run to the rockets, sniper, and plasma launcher.

The back area of Spire (first round of invasion) should be cordoned off with kill zones to keep the map more focused. Really that's what both these maps lack in BTB - focus. Too much open unused area, and confusing weapon spawns.

=sw=warlord
March 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Gotta admit, I enjoyed that map me teekup were on the other day.
Needs more grenades though.

TeeKup
March 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Was it New Venice? I can't remember it's name. Or was it Severs map?

Kornman00
March 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
So I decided to play some Reach before I did some work earlier today...played three games of griffball and got 54 (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=505168408&player=kornmanOO), plus 69 (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=505184778&player=kornmanOO), plus 26 (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=505191863&player=kornmanOO) kills (total: 149) all under 30mins...definitely a good playlist to do this week's challenge (since you have to average ~214 kills per day)

Donut
March 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
im having this continual issue where it seems like the lag compensation always results in me and the other guy killing each other at the same time, to the point where there are situations where i clearly swing first and we both die, and situations where his hammer goes off before i even hit the RT and we both die.

on that same note, i usually end up with around 25 kills per game. any more tips korn? :-3

Kornman00
March 2nd, 2011, 10:39 PM
I usually use Good Connection for my filter. Skill takes WAY too long to get results in grifball so I don't use that anymore.

As far as hammering goes...idk, you have to get a feel for it. You can't accurately get that feel until you've had a couple of games which weren't affected by bad connections on your end.

Arteen
March 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
I'll have to try good connection for Grifball. Kills don't seem to be anything other than arbitrary for me.

=sw=warlord
March 3rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
Was it New Venice? I can't remember it's name. Or was it Severs map?

It was the map which made you shout at anyone using the grenade launcher, or for that matter sticky grenades and armor lock.

Sever
March 3rd, 2011, 08:24 AM
So, my map.

Yeah, I need to get Threshold squared away and ready for release - I still have to determine which, if any, gametypes other than slayer will work well on the map, and then implement them. I believe, however, that I've finally finished any and all structural work.

Arteen
March 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
I'll have to try good connection for Grifball. Kills don't seem to be anything other than arbitrary for me.
That advice helped a teeny tiny bit, and I got the weekly, reached Field Marshall, and attained a Killimanjaro Extermination in a single Grifball match. Wewt.

Sever
March 4th, 2011, 06:48 AM
God dammit Arteen, you're not supposed to be ahead of me! In this week alone you've gone up 3 ranks!

Arteen
March 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Ha! The weekly and firefight arcade just ooze credits, so I couldn't resist. I'm less than <200,000 credits from inclement weather now, but I'm probably going to hold off on getting it until the next map pack.

Kornman00
March 5th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Since MS finally flushed all of those old XBL accounts from the Xbox1 days, I was finally able to get my old kornman00 gt back :party:. Glad I spent the 800MSP on the gt change than the Noble pack tbh.

Shock120
March 5th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Alpha Zombies is already being worked on, no promises but you'll probably see this in April. (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=57362736&postRepeater1-p=1#57374106)

What does he mean by this?

Arteen
March 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
What does he mean by this?
Halo 3 had an "Alpha Zombie" option in Infection, where players that started out as the zombie could have different properties than infected humans. I guess it doesn't work or is missing in Reach. I really wish Bungie's Infection gametypes would use it. Also, they need to bring back the 13 player Infection playlist.

Pooky
March 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
So, my map.

Yeah, I need to get Threshold squared away and ready for release - I still have to determine which, if any, gametypes other than slayer will work well on the map, and then implement them. I believe, however, that I've finally finished any and all structural work.

Hey, my map really makes you shout at people using the Grenade Launcher.

Shock120
March 5th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Halo 3 had an "Alpha Zombie" option in Infection, where players that started out as the zombie could have different properties than infected humans. I guess it doesn't work or is missing in Reach. I really wish Bungie's Infection gametypes would use it. Also, they need to bring back the 13 player Infection playlist.Oh, I was just wondering how'd they go about bringing it back.
It had a very great use for Fatkid variants. :D

DarkHalo003
March 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Oh, I was just wondering how'd they go about bringing it back.
It had a very great use for Fatkid variants. :D
Best. Gametype. Ever.

Kornman00
March 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Defiant Map Pack Preview Event (http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/03/05/halo-reach-defiant-map-pack-preview-event.aspx)

I think I may attend.

Spartan094
March 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Really Bungie?

Nightfall: LASO for 12,000 cR? What a joke :>

annihilation
March 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hahahaha, good one, Bungie.

jcap
March 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Nightfall is the easiest >_>

Warsaw
March 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Easiest only because we've had all the practise in the world doing Nightfall with these other outrageous requirements.

Donut
March 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
is there some kind of trick to nightfall? i tried it on legendary with NO skulls on and i died at least 40 times, most of which at the same spot.

FRain
March 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
trick - run past everything.

Warsaw
March 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
That trick has been in the books since the first game. It generally works.

Arteen
March 8th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I've tried that trick two separate times on co-op and enemies always spawn in the last area. Oh well.

Hotrod
March 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM
The first part of the mission with all the Elite snipers is so tough and annoying. Especially with the invisible sniper...so not cool...

Necr0matic
March 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Halo Interview - Frank O'Connor, Franchise Development Director, 343 Industries
http://www.xbox360ac...Industries.html (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7744-Halo-Interview---Frank-O-Connor--Franchise-Development-Director--343-Industries.html)

Thoughts ?

Pretty bland interview, all very generic answers. Guess that's what happens when you're located internally with Microsoft and you'd have all their PR people breathing down your neck.

Few interesting things about Kinect though.

In a way though, Bungie did innovate with the armour abilities in Halo: Reach, but if 343 tried to do something similar, fans might react differently.

Yeah, we're definitely going to be under a different spotlight. If we had done that, then we'd be judged differently than when Bungie did it. But then, that's a small segment of your audience that's making that kind of judgment and we have to be ready to take the good with the bad.No AA's in next game?

Arteen
March 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm pretty sure he's just saying that some people are going to complain about whatever they do, even if Bungie would have done the same, and they're just going to have to deal with it. Haters gonna hate. I don't see how you read that as an indication of removing/retaining any specific features.

Pooky
March 8th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Armor abilities? Innovative?

:lmao:

I guess if by innovative they mean an innovative new way to make the game frustrating and stupid.

Arteen
March 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Armor abilities are pretty innovative and fun, most of the time. As long as I don't run into lots of armor lock or sprint double meleeing, I have a lot of fun with the various abilities and loadouts.

DarkHalo003
March 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Armor abilities? Innovative?

:lmao:

I guess if by innovative they mean an innovative new way to make the game frustrating and stupid.
They are innovative in the sense that they open new options for ways to take on gameplay. Only problem is that people exploit them or they aren't in conjunction with the settings of the gametypes or systems (Sprint+Melee and the hindering vulnerability of players with the Jetpack).

Warsaw
March 9th, 2011, 12:37 AM
It's not the Armour Abilities themselves that are the problem (except Armour Lock...terrible idea). It's the fact that there are a few other game-breaking mechanics that get exacerbated when combined with Armour Abilities. Melee is one of them.

annihilation
March 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
For me the only major problem is the hitscan. Not having it would solve almost all of the problems.

Kornman00
March 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Defiant Map Pack Preview Event (http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/03/05/halo-reach-defiant-map-pack-preview-event.aspx)

I think I may attend.
*decided not worth the 60mi roundtrip worth of gas*

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=32594

Apparently, attendees got map codes. Nice!FUCK

annihilation
March 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Damn, that must hurt.

E: Fix your sig, brah

Donut
March 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
lol that sucks korn.

as far as armor abilities go, the only thing iv seen many time to the point of annoyance is camo sniping. thats some bullshit, especially on boardwalk. there have been some armor lock issues too, for example, being able to use armor lock when youre on the second objective when attacking in invasion spire. sometimes multiple people putting dropshields on the core after they abuse armor lock can be annoying too, but i havent run into anybody coordinated enough to have more than 2 up. that, and i do it too to protect the core on boneyard, so i cant get too upset.

i love the armor abilities though. i didnt at first, but they have certainly grown on me. in games with loadouts, i usually only use a small amount of the things they give you, but in reach i actually can find a use for all of the abilities. idk why everyone uses jetpack in firefight. i can see the uses to get on higher platforms, but it seems like EVERYONE uses it. i use evade and survive SO MANY plasma grenades. getting shot from behind? shields down? youre going to die? evade to nearest cover, survive. evade supremacy. cant do that with jetpack.

Arteen
March 10th, 2011, 12:00 PM
With jetpack you never get shot. Even better.

Donut
March 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM
i always die with jetpack. thats why im curious why EVERYONE uses it. when i first started firefight i noticed everyone was using it, so i did too, and it did very little for me. i avoid death multiple times per game with evade.

its like the second i turn the jetpack on all the AI are like "OH SHIT FLYING OBJECT EVERYONE SHOOT IT"

Pooky
March 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I agree Armor Abilities aren't the root of the problem, but they are an extension of it. I've said before that the thing that really made Halo 1 combat evolved was how much individual power a given player had. Unlike any other FPS I can think of, in Halo 1 it's perfectly possible to take on and destroy an entire team of enemies plus vehicles with just a Pistol and some grenades. Successive Halo games broke this critical element of gameplay by (among other things) overbalancing weapons and abilities to the point where superior numbers will always triumph. Armor abilities frequently act to create unwinnable situations, where you have no chance of survival no matter what you do. In Halo 1, you always had a chance.

Donut
March 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
^ this.
its why i still play halo pc.

Dwood
March 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I agree Armor Abilities aren't the root of the problem, but they are an extension of it. I've said before that the thing that really made Halo 1 combat evolved was how much individual power a given player had. Unlike any other FPS I can think of, in Halo 1 it's perfectly possible to take on and destroy an entire team of enemies plus vehicles with just a Pistol and some grenades. Successive Halo games broke this critical element of gameplay by (among other things) overbalancing weapons and abilities to the point where superior numbers will always triumph. Armor abilities frequently act to create unwinnable situations, where you have no chance of survival no matter what you do. In Halo 1, you always had a chance.

Except on Colliseum 2 against that guy who can only be hurt by grenades.

leorimolo
March 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I agree. to some degree
The way I see it, is that they keep injecting elements into the sandbox to make this exactly more challenging, but none the less I realized its what keeps me going. CoD is literally just point and shoot. Halo on the other hand requires you to think, and try to outsmart your opponent. Armor abilities play well into it, because regardless you can always still take down any fucker and the next that come along as long as you think it through well. I liked the armor abilities, because it just adds another way to do this, at the same time of challenging you further. Armor abilites dont create un winable situations, as long as you think 2 steps ahead, you can always beat the fucker and the next 2 coming along.

Warsaw
March 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
No you can't. You just came out of a firefight. Some douche comes barreling at you from around the corner and simply double (or single) melee kills you. How is that defensible? You can't explain that.
[/Bill O'Reilly]

By contrast, same situation in Halo 1: guy hits you, you recoil and throw a plasma grenade. Most likely you both die. At best you kill him and survive. At worst you miss the grenade and get killed or kill yourself.

It's not the armour abilities. It's the over powered melee, the melee lunge, the bloom (to a small degree, but not much), and the reticle magnetism. Also I swear that the hit boxes are bigger than Halo 1, but I have to see the files.

Necr0matic
March 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Well I was looking on Xbox.com and noticed the new Reach achievements on the compare achievements section.
What do you think of them?

Return to Sender -
Successfully return two flags in a matchmade CTF game.

Crackin' Skulls
Kill 3 players with the Oddball in a matchmade Oddball game.

Candy from a Baby
Capture two flags from an enemy capture zone in a matchmade Stockpile game.

So what do you think of these? There is only 3 (that i can find)
Any thoughts and ideas?

On Topic:

I think the biggest problem with Armor Abilities is how they are incorporated into the game. AA's should be pick up items on the map and treated as power weapons because that's exactly what they are in previous Halo's you would never start out with an Active Camo or Overshield you would fight for them and pick them up on the map, and they might only spawn 2-3 times over the course of an entire 4v4 Slayer game. They should not be constant abilities that you spawn with that you can use whenever you like.

At the very least the only AA's you should be able to spawn with should be movement AA's such as Sprint, Evade, and Jet Pack. You should be able to pick up the other AA's on the map and swap them out for your current AA.

In every other Halo game that is exactly how AA's would be treated, i don't see how Bungie made the jump from having an Active Camo on map that only spawns a few times during each match to being able to spawn with Active Camo and use it whenever you want, and to think people used to complain about how the BR was too powerful of a starting weapon and now Bungie spawns you with powerups like its no big deal.

Arteen
March 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
It's not the armour abilities.
Except armor lock. AL's really good at setting up unwinnable situations.

DarkHalo003
March 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I want one abstract like the one where you DMR someone from halfway across the map. Like, an achievement for sniping from a mancannon would be legit.

Warsaw
March 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Yeah, I already covered that on the previous page. Bungie staff were on some kind of exotic drug when they came up with that one.

Another thing I noticed:

We all complain about BR/DMR spamming, but we didn't complain so much about the pistol in the first game. I think that's because while they all do the same thing, you can fight back in the first game and because the pistol also took some skill to use well. By contrast, the BR and DMR are piss easy to use because all you have to do is hold your sights at head level and spray away until 4 out of 12 shots hit....oh wait, they now give you 15 shots to achieve this in...great move, Bungie! The DMR was perfect in the beta, but they caved in to the MLG profag crowd.

What the big deal is is that the game is too easy to pick up. Games are games, yes, but when it's easy to pick up and go it gets aggravating when you know you have more practise but there's no return on it. As a result, the game loses players. Who wants to play a game where you get killed by the new guy every two seconds through no fault in execution of your own? Who wants to play a game where the only way to win is to exploit the same system every single time? Like I said before, who needs guns? We have fists of fucking adamantium.

Donut
March 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM
idk about the camo. its an interesting spin to have it as an armor ability because you cant run with it without becoming un-invisible, you cant hear anything, and it makes your radar completely useless whilst giving away your stealthy intentions to all the enemies around you. i have used that effect to my advantage before though too. in a game of infection on that ascension remake i helped a team mate sneak into the tower to take out a guy that was camping up there by hiding outside and keeping camo on so he couldnt read his motion tracker.

camo in this game is hardly comparable to camo in the past games. i cant tell you how many times some random asshole jumps through the air and blasts me out of nowhere with camo and a shotgun or rockets in halo 3. i love how even though most of the power weapons are on the map, you still have a choice of something decent to start with. that has always been a complaint while playing halo 2 and 3 for me. you spawn with such shitty weapons sometimes that all you can do is get killed by people with better weapons. at least now even if you just spawn with a pistol, you can have SOME form of defense (not to mention that the weapons dont all inherently suck like they did in halo 3. yes, im looking at you AR spawn. fuck you ar.)

Warsaw
March 11th, 2011, 12:36 AM
See, in the first game, the AR was a great spawn weapon. The only one that inherently sucked was the Plasma Pistol, but the Plasma Pistol is now useless compared to what it used to be. I'm sorry, but if you want over charge bolts to be the only useful thing, then just make it shoot overcharges.

annihilation
March 11th, 2011, 01:11 AM
The Plasma Pistol is great for cqc. 3 shots take out an enemies shield.

Donut
March 11th, 2011, 01:13 AM
i thought the plasma pistol was pretty good in halo 1, especially in campaign. you could fire it so fast. i dont think there was actually even a fire cap on it now that i think about it. in halo 2 it sucked for everything but charge shots, which homed like a bitch. in halo 3 it was such a piece of shit that if the charge didnt EMP vehicles i swear to god the gun wouldnt have even appeared in MP. now in reach theyve actually given it its balls back... or one of them at least. iv actually gotten a few kills with the primary fire. i know when i play as an elite in invasion, i drop my repeater before my plasma pistol. the firing cap is the only thing about it i dont like in reach, but it kind of needs to be there imo. no fire cap and its way overpowered.

im pretty sure a charge shot on a vehicle in halo 1 dropped the shields of everyone onboard too, making killing them with the pistol pretty easy.

FRain
March 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I'm liking what I see in the new maps, and I'm REALLY enjoying the look of Highlands. I think that will be the map I look forward to the most. I realized how visually un-interesting all of the stock maps (even the campaign missions) were until I saw these.

Arteen
March 11th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Giving the DMR 15 shots was a great move. I'm glad Bungie made that change, as it makes the DMR more enjoyable to use in both multiplayer and campaign/firefight. It's too bad the pistol's magazine size wasn't increased to 10 or 12 after the beta though.

Pooky
March 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
By contrast, same situation in Halo 1: guy hits you, you recoil and throw a plasma grenade. Most likely you both die. At best you kill him and survive. At worst you miss the grenade and get killed or kill yourself.

If it was Halo 1 the guy wouldn't be able to melee you in the first place by just barreling around the corner like a tard. Without lunge the melee takes more conscious thought to get into position.

It's not the armour abilities. It's the over powered melee, the melee lunge, the bloom (to a small degree, but not much), and the reticle magnetism. Also I swear that the hit boxes are bigger than Halo 1, but I have to see the files.

Yeah, those are all the points I made back when I first said this game (competitive multiplayer that is) sucked and nobody believed me.

I think the biggest problem with Armor Abilities is how they are incorporated into the game. AA's should be pick up items on the map and treated as power weapons because that's exactly what they are in previous Halo's you would never start out with an Active Camo or Overshield you would fight for them and pick them up on the map, and they might only spawn 2-3 times over the course of an entire 4v4 Slayer game. They should not be constant abilities that you spawn with that you can use whenever you like.

You know I never thought of it that way but I agree. I never thought the Camo or OS were really useful enough on big vehicle maps because they run out too quickly. If you could start the timer yourself after picking them up as an ability it might be more interesting.

So is Sprint. Hurr double melee.

We all complain about BR/DMR spamming, but we didn't complain so much about the pistol in the first game. I think that's because while they all do the same thing, you can fight back in the first game and because the pistol also took some skill to use well.

I whined about the Pistol pretty hard back in the day. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that I realize how perfectly balanced it really was. Going back to playing Halo 1 I can see how the Pistol really does give you a fighting chance in any situation and takes a world more skill than the DMR.

What the big deal is is that the game is too easy to pick up. Games are games, yes, but when it's easy to pick up and go it gets aggravating when you know you have more practise but there's no return on it. As a result, the game loses players. Who wants to play a game where you get killed by the new guy every two seconds through no fault in execution of your own? Who wants to play a game where the only way to win is to exploit the same system every single time? Like I said before, who needs guns? We have fists of fucking adamantium.

That's the trend with all modern FPS games (read: MW2) which is why I stopped buying them. In fact I think I'm pretty much done buying new video games in general. They just seem to get more and more shitty each year.

camo in this game is hardly comparable to camo in the past games. i cant tell you how many times some random asshole jumps through the air and blasts me out of nowhere with camo and a shotgun or rockets in halo 3.

The camo was OP as FUCK in Halo 3 because it disabled your autoaim which is absolutely essential to aiming in that game. Seriously, if you go play CoD 4 then back to Halo 3 you see how incredibly shitty Halo 3's aiming controls are.

i love how even though most of the power weapons are on the map, you still have a choice of something decent to start with. that has always been a complaint while playing halo 2 and 3 for me. you spawn with such shitty weapons sometimes that all you can do is get killed by people with better weapons. at least now even if you just spawn with a pistol, you can have SOME form of defense (not to mention that the weapons dont all inherently suck like they did in halo 3. yes, im looking at you AR spawn. fuck you ar.)

Agree with this. The default spawning weapons in Halo 2 and 3 were so amazingly bad that once someone got a BR it was pretty much over for everyone else. Halo 3 made that problem even worse by making all the other guns suck balls. The only ones worth picking up besides the BR were the shotgun (just as a melee enhancer, not as a real weapon) and the sniper.

See, in the first game, the AR was a great spawn weapon. The only one that inherently sucked was the Plasma Pistol, but the Plasma Pistol is now useless compared to what it used to be. I'm sorry, but if you want over charge bolts to be the only useful thing, then just make it shoot overcharges.

The plasma pistol is actually scarily effective sometime. Just ask Sever.

Giving the DMR 15 shots was a great move. I'm glad Bungie made that change, as it makes the DMR more enjoyable to use in both multiplayer and campaign/firefight. It's too bad the pistol's magazine size wasn't increased to 10 or 12 after the beta though.

Yeah the guy who initially posted about that on Bungie.net made a good point. With a larger amount of rounds in the mag a more accurate player has the ability to engage multiple enemies before having to reload.

One other point I made back then is that hitscan bullets were a terrible decision. The thing that made maps like Blood Gulch have any flow at all is that players have a limited effective range with the Pistol. There's a certain distance beyond which you can see someone but not engage them directly. Reach doesn't have that. Any time you can see someone, you can hit them. This means that you have to spend the entire game cowering in cover because the second you stick your head out you'll get hit by a hail of DMR spam from everywhere. It's also part of the reason why light vehicles in Reach are so phenomenally useless, since there's no way to regenerate a vehicle's health you can just chip away at them from across the map until they explode. Bungie must have had their head up a donkey's ass when designing the vehicle damage system in this game.

p0lar_bear
March 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I thought I posted a reply in the vein to Arteen's post, guess my internet ate it before it made it to the server. vOv

Yeah the guy who initially posted about that on Bungie.net made a good point. With a larger amount of rounds in the mag a more accurate player has the ability to engage multiple enemies before having to reload.

Nearly all bullet weapons in this game need more shots per magazine, in my eyes. The magazine sizes in Halo 1 are ridiculous compared to 3 and Reach, (Pistol from 12 to 6, AR from 60 to 32, shotgun from 12 to 6), and I think it's a good thing. Sure, nubcakes that can't aim (like me lololol) would be rewarded with a kill or maybe two, but crackshots would be rewarded with multikills and not have to put up with people spawning behind them while they're out of ammo as often.

Course, I'm sure putting more ammo in magazines would cause issues elsewhere that I can't see from here...

Kornman00
March 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
For a second, I thought I was browsing bungie.net...

Arteen
March 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
More than in previous games, a lot of balance choices for multiplayer bleed into campaign/firefight in a really bad way. The shotgun is a prime example. It has only 6 shots and takes ages to reload, not to mention being a tad too weak.

A health system based around no-bleed-through shields, which essentially gives you a bit more durability in multiplayer? Screw you, because Elites don't play by those rules and can kill you in one punch at full health and half shields.

The grenade launcher's manual fire got needlessly nerfed after the beta to the point of being useless as anything other than a vehicle EMP. The primary fire is too weak, or the total ammo capacity is too small, for the weapon to ever be worth picking up. If you need an EMP weapon, you'll never have a problem finding a (much more versatile) plasma pistol.

Needler's targeting? Elites are just going to roll away, and they never have enough ammo. The plasma launcher, also nerfed after the beta, is similarly lacking. It's pretty ridiculous how the fuel rod is so overpowered, but enemies with the plasma launcher are all but nonthreatening.

The plasma grenade's short fuse and massive blast damage is fine in multiplayer, but a complete bitch in campaign.

Vehicles are useless, unreliable trash in both campaign/firefight and multiplayer. The rocket hog in particular is a joke. Seriously Bungie, would it kill you to put in a vehicle health meter?

The pistol is too wildly inaccurate and has too small a magazine size to be anything other than a shitty DMR, instead of being a useful weapon in its own right.

I get that weapons should have some consistency between modes, but the campaign would be a lot more fun if the "noob combo" wasn't the only effective way to play.

At least the needle rifle is pretty sweet in both modes. :dance:

Kornman00
March 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Vehicles are useless, unreliable trash in both campaign/firefight and multiplayer. The rocket hog in particular is a joke. Seriously Bungie, would it kill you to put in a vehicle health meter?

Don't forget passengers. I never understood why they removed both of those after Halo 1 -_-

annihilation
March 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
^This

It makes it a lot harder to rotate my gunner and passenger.

Pooky
March 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
For a second, I thought I was browsing bungie.net...

Because I'm not a Bungie fanboy?

More than in previous games, a lot of balance choices for multiplayer bleed into campaign/firefight in a really bad way. The shotgun is a prime example. It has only 6 shots and takes ages to reload, not to mention being a tad too weak.

I thought Halo 3 was bad about this until I played Reach. In Halo 3 the shotgun couldn't kill a MINOR BRUTE on NORMAL in a single hit. What the fuck.

Don't forget passengers. I never understood why they removed both of those after Halo 1 -_-

I don't understand why they removed the health bar after Halo 1. You still have health in Halo 2 and 3, it would be nice to know how much.

Arteen
March 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Why the heck do holograms intercept melees? That's gotten me killed more than a few times.

Hotrod
March 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
So the Blame Stosh this week was awesome, I wonder who's video that is?

OH WAIT!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14881756&player=Hotrod192

CabooseJr
March 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Bungie be using my screenshot for the Weekly Update. :3

Hotrod
March 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Bungie be using my screenshot for the Weekly Update. :3
We made the weekly update awesome this time around :realsmug:

Kornman00
March 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Don't tell me, your teammates all died from the same encounter? Fucking noobs lol.

And speaking of AI, Max D. works at Blizzard now. Another AI programmer has left the building (the other one being Damian)!

=sw=warlord
March 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Lovin the codes they're giving out.:realsmug:

VHKYQ-KKQGH-26R2R-FVH7C-VPMFZ
MJQH9-QC?HT-XT6JV-RJGWG-TW6RZ
XY2CD-K9PF6-GCGVF-KYGMJ-K?X7Z
HGH7M-V2XG6-6HKGH-CWWJH-9M2CZ
XHPCG-MVGRW-XD97?-?DWFM-XDX7Z
7??CH-XVTGV-6RM?R-TVCGV-FVC9Z
HJGWG-FQY?Y-6CTRK-V7JXQ-VY92Z
JYM?Y-PJPFQ-TH9XF-YGC2?-KRV7Z
VT6?9-W7XJY-K??HF-X?H9J-?KPDZ.
JXK?G-C9WWG-MQFPJ-?2?9G-H2K6Z
F?RV2-YH2XP-DFDMR-264V7-KXM?Z
YRDJF-WC6KV-WT?MG-QD6RV-CCHFZ
TFMJ9-FJ7MR-?MH2D-RHJXV-GFYQZ
XGW6X-H6VKR-?CYGF-QFGP?-VCVHZ
?YTKV-WFXYP-RCG6F-H2D6D-QX6XZ
9JTKX-PTW49-9CMX2-PQCCG-9?FCZ
CJTC?-VW9GF-HQX?9-G6K9T-RPGYZ
Q796Q-PVYFP-R2MF?-9MYH7-KWPCZ
FHTYC-DR7JD-YG?RR-QKJP7-2HYXZ
GM?Y-C?FMJ-RGXMR-F26?H-WR9FZ
MD2QD-T69D6-9F7GT-?FR7K-VHK?Z
J6J?H-V6YH?-92X9F-26RGK-G?2?Z
WR?R?-T7?DX-7VYFW-DC2X9-W6GWZ
RXC6D-XQ?2W-C6?QV-MPXF?-FT2DZ
JQTGP-YF?JY-R2GGF-7QTCX-KRM6Z
J?TP6-6W7VX-XT7J6-PKGPR-HQ6MZ
J9DGQ-PQW?6-KCTP2-J6XKP-HF?VZ
GV77Y-YG6DJ-X9T27-M2JJY-6CMKZ
D7CWT-72TW?-Y7?X2-DC9?M-HWCVZ
RT266-H?C?9-KKF?Y-FTM2X-296FZ
RD?JT-PCTM6-TM7PH-P7VR7-??MHZ
VMTYJ-?JW9K-XGMXJ-J?79C-?VC2Z
JQKW?-DK?FG-X?7XV-Y2FGD-VXHRZ
KXWCR-X?DVW-YTJVM-TRX?9-D?FFZ
JFGK9-FPYJP-C2?TW-HMGWQ-MXRDZ
FXQCH-JYFTJ-F?PK?-YC?76-9XXTZ
962?W-FKQV9-Q7X?6-DFMM2-HKGKZ
?VXK9-HXGM2-FFCTK-YTCJ6-6XF7Z
2GQKW-6?G6X-VDP?Q-MYJ9C-X6P?Z
7VK2?-?QVRK-7PGVC-?7MWP-YK7MZ
2XHF7-XXFG6-Y?MPV-C2GFD-VTF?Z
T7XXV-HKDQH-CRKX9-CYFFT-YWP2Z
KTQQ?-96RCF-2W972-Y9WKV-D2RKZ
HJD?6-9426J-VPK96-?J2JF-2YR9Z
?RJHV-QQDDR-QMYTF-9?W9?-7?VGZ
RGC7J-MGP6R-6GMM7-?WHYG-DY??Z
YR27T-TPW7M-FRJD6-F2DY?-QD?TZ
?CD7C-RMDP2-H??77-T?X?J-TD7VZ
6T7P?-GTJH?-MP?TM-RQQP6-T6WDZ
GCG2R-XW?VH-KDT2P-G6FH6-KR?JZ

Necr0matic
March 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Tried like five of these, all of them were used. Sadly, but then again I DID buy Microsoft Points yesterday, so no big yip.

edit: Did they update the codes today? Or are these the day old like ones?

Hotrod
March 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Don't tell me, your teammates all died from the same encounter? Fucking noobs lol.
Yeah, they did :P I was playing with my friend when it happened, so I thought it couldn't hurt to record it and send it to Fails of the Weak. I didn't get into the one this week, but hey, being on Blame Stosh is fine for me :)

And yes, we somehow still won that game...

Kornman00
March 11th, 2011, 09:45 PM
edit: Did they update the codes today? Or are these the day old like ones?
11hrs ago on waypoint (http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/blog/feeling-defiant/23609) (without question marks)

Arteen
March 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I tried a few of those codes, all taken.

annihilation
March 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I tried 7 codes; all of them were taken.

Fuck, I don't want to pay for 400 mspts when I only need 300.

Spartan094
March 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Bungie will add a whole code list in a day or 2 like they done before.

DarkHalo003
March 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I rarely try codes. I only was somehow able to use a code for something I've already forgot about but was pretty major in the past, but that was luck. Most people bot this stuff.

leorimolo
March 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Someone posted the noble ones on modacity and I think this entire forum took them all XD I got one and so did a few other members

Limited
March 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
So the Blame Stosh this week was awesome, I wonder who's video that is?

OH WAIT!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14881756&player=Hotrod192

:O Epic

annihilation
March 15th, 2011, 05:43 AM
So, the new maps are out. How are they?

E: I wish I had tried playing Reach because THERE'S A MASSIVE LIFE RUINING CRACK IN THE GAME DISK! FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Kornman00
March 15th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Except the map pack isn't actually out. The links are all there but the actual map pack isn't up yet.

ejburke
March 15th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I'm just going to see if I can snatch a code today. Warlord posted codes from the Waypoint forums on the day of the Noble pack's release. That place was a ghost town, which allowed us to nonchalantly snatch them up, but it will probably be more active by now. Just get a browser window ready with the xbox.com redeem page and be ready to strike like a cobra. Hsssssss.

=sw=warlord
March 15th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Except the map pack isn't actually out. The links are all there but the actual map pack isn't up yet.

Except it is and I've had it downloaded for the past 45 minutes.

Kornman00
March 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Except it is and I've had it downloaded for the past 45 minutes.
Except it wasn't at the time annihilation and I (and others (http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1058400)) posted. Go troll someplace else.

Arteen
March 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I watched Rooster Teeth's preview of the maps, and they all seem pretty solid (useless rocket hogs aside). Highlands seems like it will be Reach's first good BTB map, Condemned's wheel-with-spokes layout seems fun, since each room has a completely different layout, and Unearthed actually looks to be a decent Lost Platoon-eque firefight map.

I still wish they'd just port over a bunch of Halo 3 maps and some ODST FF maps. Lost Platoon would be great (put in some choppers!), and Chasm Ten would be fun with jetpacks.

EDIT: Having had a chance to run around the maps, Unearthed seems like it will be a fun and different Firefight map, but it really, desperately needs something other than the rocket hog. Wolf and I played a bit of it, and the rocket hog just isn't any good. It's useless at range, inaccurate, and pretty much a death trap up close. Like in Beachhead, it's just a joke vehicle.

Condemned looks pretty neat. Each room has its own unique layout, and it's surprisingly large. I could see it working as an Invasion Skirmish map.

Highlands might just be Reach's first good BTB map. It feels like a Halo PC map, both in a good and bad way. Good in that it will hopefully play well, but bad in that some of the map's details, such as the water, repeating textures, awful-looking trees in the distance, and abrupt transition between some geometry (e.g. no grime where human structures meet the ground, cave UVs don't properly connect). But I don't mind it really. There's a comforting familiarity to it, it still looks nice, and I'd much rather 343i/CA spend time on making the map fun as possible than making it as pretty as possible.

sevlag
March 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM
it is, you have to go to the market place, but its there

I dug around and found the download at around 8:30 amish EST

just had to go to the "extras" tab for reach in the market place, and hit "see all extras"

didnt know they had a jetpack for your avatar

Spartan094
March 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM

just had to go to the "extras" tab for reach in the market place, and hit "see all extras"

didnt know they had a jetpack for your avatar
The map pack was up before 6 AM EST, I get up that early for school :>

Kornman00
March 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM

I guess the time in the postbit is just invisible to some people.

Except it wasn't at the time annihilation and I (and others (http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1058400)) posted. Go troll someplace else.
They had all the Xbox dashboard crap setup for Defiant at ~3am PST this morning however the map pack wasn't available (even when browsing Reach's entire Marketplace). Later it was finally viewable by the public and then even later they redid the content package for some odd reason (which required a re-download by every one who got it early). Apparently their excuse for somehow adding an extra 150MBish and requiring a redownload was that they redid how the maps were packaged or stored (from a post a saw at HBO).

Arteen
March 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
First match on Highlands, 9 deaths total, with 6 of those from rocket launchers. This better be a fluke, because that's rather frustrating. Rockets should really spawn in the middle, not at the bases. The map already has a laser and a plasma launcher, too.

It seems fun otherwise. It's really too bad the Forge palette sucks, because this could've made a great invasion map, too. Hopefully someone more clever than I can get it to work.

=sw=warlord
March 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM

I wasn't trolling.
The map pack showed up on servers over here an hour before you even posted.

Champ
March 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Why is the Mk V helmet so expensive? It's causing me to grind like crazy.

Also I'm liking the new maps so far. Haven't gotten the chance to play Unearthed yet though.

Arteen
March 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Apparently there's a special variant of Condemned called Uplink which uses special Forge pieces to block off certain rooms of the map. It seems pretty neat.

Champ
March 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
First match on Highlands, 9 deaths total, with 6 of those from rocket launchers. This better be a fluke, because that's rather frustrating. Rockets should really spawn in the middle, not at the bases. The map already has a laser and a plasma launcher, too.
I don't think it's necessary to have all these power weapons either. But, so far, I've been ok with the rockets spawning in the bases since it seems to be a vehicle heavy map. I'm sure my opinion will change when people start to abuse the rockets. So far I've been able to snipe them and kill them with the DMR before they've gotten me though.

Hotrod
March 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Apparently there's a special variant of Condemned called Uplink which uses special Forge pieces to block off certain rooms of the map. It seems pretty neat.
So that's what Uplink is? I've seen it a few times, but I've never been able to play it. Sounds pretty neat though.

Kornman00
March 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Jesus fucking christ, people STILL keep going 'wtf' over that one helmet. I really fucking wish I could smack the shit out of the idiot who took that promo shot with a non-retail helmet.

After which I would smack the weak sauce producers. There's no way that slipped by unintentionally unless the majority of 343i has never played the game (and you don't play the game without tweaking your armor).

p0lar_bear
March 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Why is the Mk V helmet so expensive? It's causing me to grind like crazy.

Also I'm liking the new maps so far. Haven't gotten the chance to play Unearthed yet though.

I insist any Halo PC oldfag is required to buy the "bad graphics spartan" getup I stole from Pooky (or was it Teekup?). Mk5 Helmet, Black visor, FJ/Para Shoulders, Grenadier Knees, and I think that's the stock chest.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/default.aspx?player=t3h%20p0lar%20bear

TeeKup
March 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
It was Pooky.

Warsaw
March 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I actually played Halo PC with bad graphics for most of my Halo-playing career. Radeon 7000 fixed-function supremacy!

That said, not enough cR. =I

Hotrod
March 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I insist any Halo PC oldfag is required to buy the "bad graphics spartan" getup I stole from Pooky (or was it Teekup?). Mk5 Helmet, Black visor, FJ/Para Shoulders, Grenadier Knees, and I think that's the stock chest.

But...but...I don't want to waste money on the black visor :/

Champ
March 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM

:agree: except I'm going for the gold visor. And what helmet are you talking about, korn?

ShadowSpartan
March 16th, 2011, 12:58 AM
And what helmet are you talking about, korn?
He's talking about this helmet (http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/115/1151873/halo-reach-20110224004158325.jpg), which was shown in promo videos/pictures for the map pack.

.Wolf™
March 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM
So apparently you can get the new achievements in a custom game..

Arteen
March 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I already had the other two achievements, but I could not get the stockpile achievement in customs.

.Wolf™
March 16th, 2011, 11:06 AM
You need the gametypes thats saved temporarly. Like go in matchmaking and wait for stockpile.. Once the game is over go into custom games and select the temp history gametype, start game.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=300051

=sw=warlord
March 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
or you can load the game types in customs like normal exit out and then load the maps and gametype from temporary history and start the game again.

Arteen
March 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Worked like a charm, thanks.

Spartan094
March 16th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks wolf for the tip. Easy gamer score.

DarkHalo003
March 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I got that achievement legitimately. Does that make me pro?

I really wish I could dish out $20 right now for the map and XBL, but sadly I'm on a narrow budget. Highlands looks to be a blast; if I do renew, I'll make sure it's for extended amounts of time.

I hope another Halo game isn't released anytime soon. I'm hoping late 2012 or mid 2013. I miss the 3 year intervals between games. Plus, i need to be able to play Reach long enough to enjoy the DLC content and all of that stuff.

NotZac
March 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Let me just say, Unearthed is easily the best Firefight map by far. Very close to Lost Platoon.

Necr0matic
March 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Condemned seems to be a little out of place within the playlist; it seems like it would really excel in 6-8 player FFAs rather than 6v6s. It just gets too crowded with people nading each other in the more confined areas. I had a game where people quit out and it turned into 4v4, which was lots of fun, which lead me to this idea. For the Uplink vs. Condemned I like Uplink better because of the way the paths are broken up.

I'm really enjoying Unearthed, brings me back to the good old days of when Lost Platoon hogging with a friend in ODST wasn't played to death. I don't think it would be a stretch to say this one is my favorite of the maps.

Highlands is just what BTB needs. This is how a btb map is supposed to be. It is fun to drive around but it takes more skill than most other maps. But it's also fairly easy to get around on foot and find weapons. Too bad it's DLC and will never be seen in the BTB playlist, and Hemorrhage will still reign supreme (all hail).

I still hope they are gonna use Halo 2's DLC model. Where the DLC maps became free after X months. I don't mind paying for them to get them early and it would be a shame to only play them in DLC playlists.

Spartan094
March 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Too bad it's DLC and will never be seen in the BTB playlist, and Hemorrhage will still reign supreme (all hail).
Lol, it acts like blood gulch just more noobish. What do you expect from little kids?

Champ
March 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I've yet to play Uplink. Anyone care to explain the difference?

Arteen
March 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Comms hallway, observation deck, and stairwell blocked off (IIRC) with special dev-only Forge pieces. Overall shape is more of an eight than a wheel with four spokes. Only ways between each side of the map are through the center room or through teleporters. Weapon layout changed (e.g. sword in the center, no rockets).

Condemned is rather huge, so Uplink is a smaller, more directed experience. It's pretty fun.

Kornman00
March 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
The April MM update looks promising! Especially the new HUD widget for when your flag is away or when it is held by an enemy douche. It's the little things.

Arteen
March 18th, 2011, 09:02 PM
It's the little things (that have been in every Halo game previous). They still haven't done a thing about the transparent, easily-obstructed teammate icons in Invasion. This stuff should've gotten fixed after the beta, not months after the release of the full game.

EDIT: And I liked The Cage. It sounds like it will be entirely replaced by Uncaged, but Uncaged is lame.

DarkHalo003
March 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
It's the little things (that have been in every Halo game previous). They still haven't done a thing about the transparent, easily-obstructed teammate icons in Invasion. This stuff should've gotten fixed after the beta, not months after the release of the full game.

EDIT: And I liked The Cage. It sounds like it will be entirely replaced by Uncaged, but Uncaged is lame.
I hate how those non-visible points over your other teammates heads. They're more or less pointless if you can't tell where your team is from a distance.

Kornman00
March 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Or mistake your teammate for an enemy turd

Almost lasered our own tank in a game once :-3

Limited
March 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM
How many people here have the new mappack?

Should I buy it yes or no?

Pooky
March 19th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I liked The Cage.

What.

Kornman00
March 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
go go go go go

Arteen
March 19th, 2011, 08:39 AM
How many people here have the new mappack?

Highlands isn't perfect, but it's the only BTB-style map in Reach that's actually good. Condemned and Uplink are pretty neat. Unearthed is okay, but it really needs a chaingun hog instead of or in addition to the rocket hog.

What.
It's fun! It just needs better spawns and a few more kill zones. The only change in Uncaged that I like is the ramp instead of that one-way jump between the sniper and (former) shotgun spawns near the cliff wall. Everything else was unnecessary. That map hardly needs a rocket launcher on it.

Limited
March 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I bought it, hit me up on XBL if you have it :D

GT: Limited55

Edit: LOAD FAILURE in matchmaking, and custom game (just me) players failed to load content :(

Had to reload Halo twice to get it to work.

TeeKup
March 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry Arty, but I'll have to agree with pooky.

What?

Limited
March 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Ah yes now I realise why I quit Reach.

First game back for 4 months, first time ever playing the game. I get a 3rd of our teams kills in a 6 v 6 game. Bullshit.

Spartan094
March 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'll be back playing Reach soon. Limited I'll add you. Anybody else just send me a request.

GT: Darkbdawg08

I still wanna change my name to Spartan094 but it sounds off on xbox to me.

Also limited, this is why you play in parties and not on your own with other random people, just hardly works.