PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24

Siliconmaster
May 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
You know how you fix Hemorrhage? Put the Scorpion back in, replace the plasma launcher with a Rocket Launcher, and put the Banshee where it belongs....

Idk- the scorpions were definitely becoming total whoring machines before they replaced them with the wraiths. The wraiths might not be a huge bit better, but at least you can't snipe with them from across the map. But I did like banshees on the map in H1pc, and rocket launchers would be nice. Plus GET RID OF GODDAMNED DMRS ON THAT MAP.

Pooky
May 26th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Idk- the scorpions were definitely becoming total whoring machines before they replaced them with the wraiths. The wraiths might not be a huge bit better, but at least you can't snipe with them from across the map. But I did like banshees on the map in H1pc, and rocket launchers would be nice. Plus GET RID OF GODDAMNED DMRS ON THAT MAP.

Scorpions were easy enough to kill with concentrated DMR spam, since their health doesn't regenerate.

TeeKup
May 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM
The rocket launcher would have been a perfect counter to it. The Scorpion has POOR maneuverability and can't exactly out run a rocket unless the person with the launcher is an IDIOT. I've tested this dozens of times in custom games before I got rid of the game.

Warsaw
May 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
This is Bungie we are talking about. When was the last time they made a gametype that had good flow to it? Oh yeah, Griffball.

Arteen
May 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hemorrhage really can't be fixed. It doesn't work with Reach's sandbox. But getting rid of scorpions and wraiths and revenants would do a lot of good.

DarkHalo003
May 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
If they add Banshees now I think it'd fix a lot of in-balance in the map. They should also change the Plasma Launcher to a Splazer in my opinion simply because it will actually hit its target when used.

Pooky
May 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hemorrhage really can't be fixed. It doesn't work with Reach's sandbox. But getting rid of scorpions and wraiths and revenants would do a lot of good.

Taking away the vehicles would make gameplay even more excruciatingly boring than it already is.

If they add Banshees now I think it'd fix a lot of in-balance in the map. They should also change the Plasma Launcher to a Splazer in my opinion simply because it will actually hit its target when used.

Rocket Launcher, not Laser. Laser takes no skill whatsoever and is basically a guaranteed kill.

TeeKup
May 26th, 2011, 08:11 PM

NO.

For fucks sake that thing was bad enough in Halo 3. I'm thankful it only makes minuscule appearances in MP in Reach as is.

Arteen
May 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Tanks are already boring, so getting rid of them can only help. Unless I'm playing Wartorn Cove, I really don't want to play a game of "Neutralize the tank" every few minutes. And anything that makes warthogs less of a deathtrap is great.

Pooky
May 28th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Tanks are already boring, so getting rid of them can only help. Unless I'm playing Wartorn Cove, I really don't want to play a game of "Neutralize the tank" every few minutes. And anything that makes warthogs less of a deathtrap is great.

Ideally, tanks would only appear in BTB anyway, so I don't really see what the big deal is.

Arteen
May 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Tanks just aren't fun. Sure, it's fun to get killtaculars and running riots in them, but playing against them is a miserable experience, especially on a huge open field like Hemorrhage. Once you give the tank a bit of open space, there isn't much you can do about it unless you've got heavy weapons or another tank. Since EMP doesn't stun the turret, (whereas it completely shuts down a wraith), that isn't much help, either. Bungie should just make regular and 'heavy' variants of the maps, like they did in Halo 3.

Whenever a tank is on the field, it's controlling the field. The game turns into a match of "neutralize the tank". If I'm enjoying CTF and the enemy brings out the tank, I have to direct all of my energy on killing the tank before I can go back to playing CTF. On maps like Hemorrhage or Paradiso, where they can hide out in the open and not be easily approached, they dominate. On Invasion: Boneyard, they're actually approachable so they're at least somewhat interesting to fight, but they respawn way too frequently, and even without the scorpion the third phase is stacked too heavily against the Elites whenever the Spartan team isn't completely brain-dead.

Pooky
May 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Maybe it would be better if the tank worked like it did in Halo 1. I never had a problem playing CTF with 16 players and 4 tanks on the map.

DarkHalo003
May 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Maybe it would be better if the tank worked like it did in Halo 1. I never had a problem playing CTF with 16 players and 4 tanks on the map.
I think that's because HPC/HCE isn't tracked in statistics at all. At least, that's my view of it. I always get enraged at XBL Halo whenever I'm killed repetitively, but when I'm playing HPC/HCE I could care less.

It could also be because there's an almighty 3hk pistol that goes straight through a tank's hood, but what do i know?

Pooky
May 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
It could also be because there's an almighty 3hk pistol that goes straight through a tank's hood, but what do i know?

Well that's the thing, and I've said this before. The reason the vehicles worked so well in Halo 1 is because they were extremely powerful when used correctly, but could also be taken out very quickly. Their health also recharged with the player's, giving them a nice back and forth flow. In essence, they were all glass cannons.

For some reason every subsequent Halo game has dispensed with this near perfect mechanic, which is why vehicle combat isn't as fun in any of them.

leorimolo
May 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Guys I need some help buying halo reach off games on demand, I have a US credit card, US account, but my console is in costa rica. I was wondering what my options were, I bought the fucking points and it wouldnt letme buy it :rage:

DarkHalo003
May 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I got an Extermination Killtrocity in Invasion today. With a tank. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed. The worst part is: the tank is a Scorpion tank.

Warsaw
May 28th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Which map was it? Boneyard? If so, be proud: it's actually hard to stay alive in any vehicle on that map.

Pooky
May 28th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Which map was it? Boneyard? If so, be proud: it's actually hard to stay alive in any vehicle on that map.

herp derp spurtan lazur

Warsaw
May 29th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Basically. And if that wasn't enough, there's also the rocket, the plasma launcher, and the ne'er-do-well sticky whoring. Oh, and let's not forget the Banshee.

Arteen
May 29th, 2011, 07:36 AM
It's not too hard to stay alive long enough for a killing frenzy in the scorpion, if you can get it to the opposite side from its spawn point. Banshees you can just 1-shot IIRC; wraiths take more, but the scorpion still easily has the advantage. Really, all you have to worry about are jetpack elites tossing plasma grenades, and the plasma launcher. The splaser and rockets spawn with the spartans, so they're not an issue.

DarkHalo003
May 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM
It's not too hard to stay alive long enough for a killing frenzy in the scorpion, if you can get it to the opposite side from its spawn point. Banshees you can just 1-shot IIRC; wraiths take more, but the scorpion still easily has the advantage. Really, all you have to worry about are jetpack elites tossing plasma grenades, and the plasma launcher. The splaser and rockets spawn with the spartans, so they're not an issue.
It was on Boneyard and I think my tank had like 1HP left; it had undergone barrages of stuff before that point, I was killed out of the cockpit one other time, and the last time it was seriously ready to explode. But the guys I was playing against weren't the sharpest tools in the shed; they kept running at us as Zealots and Gladiators.

Warsaw
May 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
The sheer stupidity of the majority of players in any multiplayer game never ceases to amuse me.

DarkHalo003
June 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I just discovered recently the awesomeness that is Firefight Arcade, particularly ArcadeFight. It's basically an ownage spree for the player and the player gets to use any weapon he/she so desires while fighting the Covenant. It was pretty cool to say the least.

Warsaw
June 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Needle Rifle/Shotgun combo get. You can kill ANYTHING with that, and do it efficiently, too. Hunters will take four or five shotgun blasts to the back or six supercombines in the same. Grunts are cut down like grass, and Jackals are dropped in a swift double tap. Shotgun makes short work of Elites, who always think it necessary to get up close. Their mistake.

DarkHalo003
June 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=61026544&viewreplies=true#end

Might be a lost cause, but please help me promote turning off Friendly Fire for Invasion.

Warsaw
June 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Posted:

Posted by: GhaleonEB

Posted by: DarkHalo003

Posted by: leetkiller92
u mad bro?
Yeah, but it's not like anything I'm saying isn't true. It craps up the experience because it offsets the balance between teams once one has been booted. Just think of how many issues could be solved by just flipping that setting to "off" in the game settings menu.
Think of the problems that would be created by flipping that switch to "off" in the game settings menu. Like enabling players to grief their team mates endlessly without recourse.

We have bigger issues that are the result of two-hit melee, melee lunge, the crosshair being two-thirds of the way down the screen, DMR spam, hitscan weapons, and vehicles being about as durable as tissue paper.

Yes, I like playing a game that doesn't reward good players and basically takes as much thought as Angry Birds. [/s]

Remove the friendly fire, and Invasion becomes more fun to play. People crossing in front of my line of fire when I can't communicate with them or see them before hand and then me getting booted for something that was not my fault is quite infuriating. It's almost as infuriating as you scrubs running around doing nothing but double-melee.

Arteen
June 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
You know what Invasion really needs? Teammate indicators that don't disappear behind obstacles and are visible/opaque enough to be distinguishable when the player is in vehicle. I have absolutely no idea how Bungie didn't fix this after the beta.

I just discovered recently the awesomeness that is Firefight Arcade, particularly ArcadeFight. It's basically an ownage spree for the player and the player gets to use any weapon he/she so desires while fighting the Covenant. It was pretty cool to say the least.
Oh man, that sounds like so much fun. Wouldn't it be so great if the whole playlist were like that?

Donut
June 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM
yeah uh, why did they ever turn off weapon pickup on the firefight playlists like rocketfight and grenadefight? one day i could pick up a sniper rifle from a dead elite, a week later i couldnt. i dont think iv played firefight since.

Warsaw
June 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Bungie broke the game after beta. The balance was amazing during the beta and the DMR was spot-on perfect. All they needed to fix really was the light crosshair.

Oh, and Sword Base CTF. That needed fixing too.

Hotrod
June 1st, 2011, 05:20 PM
Bungie broke the game after beta. The balance was amazing during the beta and the DMR was spot-on perfect. All they needed to fix really was the light crosshair.

Oh, and Sword Base CTF. That needed fixing too.
Pretty much this. Now the DMR is an overpowered piece of crap and the Plasma Launcer is way underpowered, as are the rest of the Covenant weapons...

DarkHalo003
June 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
You know what Invasion really needs? Teammate indicators that don't disappear behind obstacles and are visible/opaque enough to be distinguishable when the player is in vehicle. I have absolutely no idea how Bungie didn't fix this after the beta.

Oh man, that sounds like so much fun. Wouldn't it be so great if the whole playlist were like that?
I agree. Why on Halo (Reach) did Bungie change the visual flair of Invasion?

Warsaw
June 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Posted in that thread again. It's rather long-winded.

TeeKup
June 1st, 2011, 08:42 PM
Supported your post Warsaw. My first post on bnet in over 4 years. Ugh. I feel dirty.

Warsaw
June 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM
That's only, like, my fifth post on Bnet. Ever.

Kornman00
June 2nd, 2011, 12:43 AM
Someone should kidnap frankie.

You don't have to demand anything, but if you do, please demand they fix the invasion team indicator BULLSHIT.

So yeah, volunteers to kidnap frankie? I'm sure all you would need to do is leave a trail of Starbucks coffee from his car to an open black van, that's primed and ready to make a speedy escape.

Pooky
June 2nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
Pretty much this. Now the DMR is an overpowered piece of crap and the Plasma Launcer is way underpowered, as are the rest of the Covenant weapons...

There's too many fucking weapons in Reach, and so many (like the DMR) that are just unnecessary. The 'balance' could easily be a lot better if they just narrowed down the huge list of weapons and made the remaining ones less situational.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
Keep:
Assault Rifle
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Repeater
Needler
Pistol
Sniper Rifle
Shotgun (<3)
Rocket Launcher
Fuel Rod Cannon

Fake E: Wait...isn't that the Halo 1 lineup?

Pooky
June 2nd, 2011, 01:35 AM
Keep:
Assault Rifle
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Repeater
Needler
Pistol
Sniper Rifle
Shotgun (<3)
Rocket Launcher
Fuel Rod Cannon

Agreed but screw the Plasma Repeater. That thing is fugly. Just use the regular PR design but make it behave more like the Repeater.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM
But I like the look of the Repeater! D:

Hotrod
June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Keep:
Assault Rifle
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Repeater
Needler
Pistol
Sniper Rifle
Shotgun (<3)
Rocket Launcher
Fuel Rod Cannon

The Concussion Rifle/Brute Shot (though I prefer the Concussion Rifle) was a good addition though as well as the Energy Sword and Gravity Hammer. And the Needle Rifle is great too, since it gives that Medium-Long ranged ability to the Covenant in Elite Slayer and Invasion games.

And if I had to choose between the looks of the Repeater and the Plasma Rifle, I think I'd take the Plasma Rifle since it's the original, even though I love the Repeater as well.

Kornman00
June 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
The repeater is pretty awesome since you can force it to cool down at will, which is the main reason why it was made (for MP uses) IIRC

Maybe give that ability to the PR? Or all plasma weapons?

Pooky
June 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
The Concussion Rifle/Brute Shot (though I prefer the Concussion Rifle) was a good addition

Wat.

Hotrod
June 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Wat.
The Concussion Rifle and Brute Shot are pretty much the same thing, and I'm talking about the addition of them throughout the series, not just in Reach.

Pooky
June 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
The Concussion Rifle and Brute Shot are pretty much the same thing, and I'm talking about the addition of them throughout the series, not just in Reach.

I know they're basically the same thing from Halo 3 to Reach, but the Concussion rifle was like the most useless addition the series has seen.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
The Concussion rifle also does fuck all damage in Campaign. And I don't want any DMR weapons at all. Halo 1 got by without them, why do we need them? And if we have them, then why do we even need the sniper rifle? To save time from making a 4-shot kill? Whoop-dee-doo, most people miss their first two or three shots with the sniper anyways.

The sword should explode like it did in the first game. The Hammer, I can accept. But I'd rather have shotguns go back to being a normal pickup that respawned every 30 seconds rather than stay a power weapon (Halo 2, 3, Reach = herp let's make all the useful guns powerweapons so that EVERYBODY will just spam AR and DMR fire derp!).

Arteen
June 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
The concussion rifle is so damned annoying in the campaign. That and the explosive bolts that the dropships have. What were they thinking, giving explosive bolts to dropships? You have to go and hide for fifteen seconds whenever they show up because you can't dodge the shots; even if they don't hit you directly the splash damage is huge.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I think that was exactly the point. It makes sense for a dropship to suppress ground forces so that its troops don't get slaughtered upon disembarking the hold. What makes it the Concussion Rifle such BS is the way that the AI aimbots with it. Holy fuck, you can change directions mid jump and they instantly know exactly what you are doing. Those fuckers don't miss. Same goes for the fuel rod cannon turrets.

Sever
June 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Making sense != fun. Fun = fun. Get it through your heads already, gaming industry.

DarkHalo003
June 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
I thought the Explosive Bolts of the Dropships made them more fearsome; in past games I saw a Phantom and thought "Oh wow, more troops." Now I see one and think "Oh crap, more troops and a mean-ass gun."

Why did they remove the Covenant Carbine? That weapon was so great in Halo 3. I wish they would've added it to all maps and would have kept it in the series.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
No. No. No. No more DMR weapons. I want to have an excuse to keep the Plasma Repeater or Assault rifle on me in addition to the sniper rifle or rocket launcher. I am tired of always having to have a DMR + extra gun. They might as well have given everybody a DMR hardpoint and then one optional gun.

@Sever: I don't have an issue with the dropships. You just have to know where to run, when to jump, and what pattern of strafing to use. I still kill some of the troops as they jump out of the Spirit. The Phantom is and always has been BS though.

Arteen
June 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
It made dropships annoying, not fearsome. I hated it when CMT did something like that, too.

As Reach is wont to do, it restricts player options. In Halo 1 heroic, every weapon is useful and there are many viable ways to approach combat. In Reach, it's DMRs and plasma pistols at medium range. It's the only way to avoid the numerous thoughtless, ill-conceived design and balance decisions the campaign has.

TeeKup
June 2nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
You know what would make Dropships intimidating and not annoying like the retarded Concussion turrets? Give them pulse laser turrets that mimic a Plasma Repeater. Constantly firing, it doesn't have the retarded splash damage of Concussion shot. Obviously give the turret a slight delayed reaction time to the movements of the player so it isn't stupidly OP.

Just a suggestion.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
I ran through most of Reach's campaign on Legendary with the Shotgun and a DMR of some type. I used the Assault Rifle when I could, but it does literally nothing to Brutes.

I want an excuse to whore the AR on Legendary like I did in the first game.

Pooky
June 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
@Sever: I don't have an issue with the dropships. You just have to know where to run, when to jump, and what pattern of strafing to use. I still kill some of the troops as they jump out of the Spirit. The Phantom is and always has been BS though.

Phantoms on Halo 2 Legendary made me rage so hardcore. Being finally able to blow them up in Halo 3 was the most gratifying thing ever.

Kornman00
June 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
It made dropships annoying, not fearsome.
............................................dotdot dotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdotdo tdotdot

Phantoms on Halo 2 Legendary made me rage so hardcore. Being finally able to blow them up in Halo 3 was the most gratifying thing ever.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wish you could do such in FF (woulda been cool as an option at least)

DarkHalo003
June 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
No. No. No. No more DMR weapons. I want to have an excuse to keep the Plasma Repeater or Assault rifle on me in addition to the sniper rifle or rocket launcher. I am tired of always having to have a DMR + extra gun. They might as well have given everybody a DMR hardpoint and then one optional gun.

I'm saying screw the DMR. Take that junk out along with the Needle Rifle and throw the Covenant Carbine from Halo 3 in there. You know that weapon that makes you smile when you get a kill with it? That weapon definitely took that award in Halo 3. In Halo Reach it's the Focus Rifle, but only because you have a glassing laser in your hands.

Warsaw
June 3rd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Ugh. Carbine is just as bad as the Battle Rifle and chews through ammo twice as fast...speaking of which, give me back my 10 reloads, Bungie!

Donut
June 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
yeah this^ seriously, what the fuck is going on with these new games? i can see a lack of ammo for balancing reasons in multiplayer, but running out of ammo in single player is just irritating.

Pooky
June 3rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
remember when you could hold 600 bullets for the Assault Rifle <_>

Warsaw
June 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
I liked being able to stick to my favourite weapons in single player. Now we get six reloads on the DMR, fucking five for the pistol, and nine (wtf) for the assault rifle.

@Donut: Balance? In Halo? Lololololoololol

Dwood
June 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM
remember when you could hold 600 bullets for the Assault Rifle <_>

And you had little to no accuracy?

Warsaw
June 8th, 2011, 05:14 PM
You are so very, very wrong.

Donut
June 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
And you had little to no accuracy?
with the magnetism in halo 1, the ar was not much less accurate than it is in halo 3 and reach. at that, it was FAR more useful than the ar in halo 3 (which was useless, really), and i would still prefer it over the ar in reach.

what happened with the ammo thing btw? it was like, here, hold 10 magazines for every weapon, then halo 2 rolls in and suddenly its always an ammo shortage.

Warsaw
June 8th, 2011, 07:12 PM
"Tripod of power herp derp" and all that.

TeeKup
June 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Splockets on Boardwalk has to be the most abominable thing I have EVER played. Some of the new community maps are neat, Abridged is OKAY but it can get tasteless after a while. I''m finding it extremely hard to find a CTF game though and that bothers me. I played a game of Stockpile on Renegade (I have either V2 or 3 in my files) and it was a blast.

DarkHalo003
June 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Try DLC Playlist if you want CTF and Assault; I played half of my games as objective when I played in that playlist.

I've never really minded the ammo shortage. If anything, I become less pissed because my AR runs out of stock ammo and I have nothing to shoot with after that. Makes me feel like a Badass in the middle of a firefight when I get a Triple Kill and that happens.

What does bug me is the switch from 60 to 32 in the magazine capacity. That has bothered me on many occasions. It's like "FIRE", "OSHI RELOAD", "FIRE", "CRAP GOTTA RELOAD AGAIN!", "FIRE", "DAMMIT I DIE BECAUSE I CANT RELOAD ANY FASTERRRR!!!!!!!" I just wished they would have made the capacity more reliable. It's one thing I constantly worry about when I use the AR, though it is one of my favorite weapons (check my Invasion Stats).

Pooky
June 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Bungie is really proud of their reloading animations so they want you to see them more often.

Read: Shotgun

DarkHalo003
June 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've always liked the Shotgun's reload on the top.

On topic of writers, can 343i please recruit this guy? http://leviathan.bungie.org/front-cover

Limited
June 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Just owned a Bungie employee in SWAT.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=655470107&player=Limited55

(Hes ViralMemito)

Teltaur
June 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
You sure he's actually an employee, or did he just get the nameplate and blue flames from the iPhone app?

=sw=warlord
June 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Just owned a Bungie employee in SWAT.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=655470107&player=Limited55

(Hes ViralMemito)

You beat someone who owns an Iphone congratulations. (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid31738)

E: Damnit Teltaur.

NotZac
June 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
**I hate all of you.

Limited
June 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
You beat someone who owns an Iphone congratulations. (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid31738)

E: Damnit Teltaur.
It was a joke, to bump the damn thread.

=sw=warlord
June 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
It was a joke, to bump the damn thread.

Sure it was.:downs:

Spartan094
June 19th, 2011, 02:13 AM
**I hate all of you.
:goat:

You could borrow an iphone to get the app you know. Or wait till this thursday and be like everybody else

annihilation
June 20th, 2011, 09:30 PM
with the magnetism in halo 1, the ar was not much less accurate than it is in halo 3 and reach. at that, it was FAR more useful than the ar in halo 3 (which was useless, really), and i would still prefer it over the ar in reach.

what happened with the ammo thing btw? it was like, here, hold 10 magazines for every weapon, then halo 2 rolls in and suddenly its always an ammo shortage.

I thought the AR in Halo 3 was pretty useful. It's the most accurate out of all the Halo's (not including Reach when you burst fire) and you could usually kill an opponent with 1 clip.

DarkHalo003
June 27th, 2011, 11:00 PM
So I finally got around to playing BTB All Stars and through this playlist I have found the single best BTB map ever; Abridged. This map is awesome, features so much that the stock maps didn't (like cover from DMR and actual need for movement).

TeeKup
June 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I was surprised at how fun abridged really is. A LOT of the community maps I've played have been garbage, although the few exceptions have been simply astounding. I don't think I've ever had as much fun as I did on Stockpile on Renegade. Then again, Fast Flag on Affinity has to be the definition of irritating.

leorimolo
June 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I was surprised at how fun abridged really is. A LOT of the community maps I've played have been garbage, although the few exceptions have been simply astounding. I don't think I've ever had as much fun as I did on Stockpile on Renegade. Then again, Fast Flag on Affinity has to be the definition of irritating.
Mt Lam Lam is a sick map

Hotrod
June 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I love Mt Lam Lam, except that it needs less power weapons.

And am I the only one that loves Wayont?

DarkHalo003
June 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I love Mt Lam Lam, except that it needs less power weapons.

And am I the only one that loves Wayont?
Haven't had the chance to play it, but I've heard a lot of people love/hate it, so I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for it. I also need to play Mt. Lam Lam apparently. What playlist are they? Are they in BTB All Stars?

Hotrod
June 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I played them in the regular BTB Playlist, so try looking in there. Wayont came up a lot in the Flagstravaganza playlist since it's an excellent CTF map.

Delta4907
June 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Wayont is my favorite map currently. I just stick around the base and use the needle rifle or dmr to kill people dumb enough to walk out in the open, which is nearly everyone. Don't think I've ever had a bad game on it.

DarkHalo003
June 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just played Wayont. It's a nice map, very picturesque, offers a lot of options, but I didn't like the lack of the amount of weapons spread across the map. That or I just couldn't find any outside the perimeter of the bases and the Concussion Rifle. Oh and the Slayer version needs to remove Armor Lock and replace with Evade. I also just played a HORRIBLE match on Wayont, then my Xbox Lagged me out. It was nothing like the match I played before where it felt balanced and still competitive. That first game felt like Halo 2's awesome BTB. This second game was just awful, it felt like nothing except a DMRs match between two teams. Basically it felt like a game of Hemorrhage. I was also spawn killed once or twice because I spawned in a completely unprotected cave, which baffles me why there was not a shield door to protect the spawns. Still I guess the map's fun rate for Wayont depends on who you're playing against and what gametype. Slayer just doesn't work on it, in my opinion.

I just played Multi-Flag on Hemorrhage in BTB All Stars and I still hate that map with a damn passion. It's so one-sided and whoever owns the Warthogs and Revenants wins. It offers to defense for a defensive team besides the freaking base itself and the Sniper makes it unbearable, not to mention there is nothing inside the base (no Plasmas, really?) to defend off vehicles (PP doesn't count).

I also hate how K/D Ratio is calculated. I went from a 1.57 to a 1.60 in about five games of higher averages, most of which were above 2.00. Then I play 2 bad games of averages that fall below 1.60 and it falls to 1.59. Not that it's a big deal, but I seriously don't get it.

Arteen
June 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Before you tackle the above tasks, there is one more thing we should talk about, something we hinted at both during E3 and, more recently, in the first paragraph of this Bulletin. We’re pleased to confirm that we’re planning a Title Update (a small download which will add some interesting functionality) for Halo: Reach in preparation for the multiplayer aspect of Halo: Anniversary.

If your heart suddenly sped up, fret not, Reach fan. This is something that will not only sit side-by-side with Reach’s existing gameplay and will be accessible by both Reach and Anniversary players, but will allow us to make fairly significant changes to multiplayer gameplay within the confines of Matchmaking. We’ve talked about this as a way to better recreate the classic Halo: CE feel for the new classic maps, and it will let us do some things in gameplay that simply aren’t possible now. I don’t want to give too much away until we get through gameplay and bug-testing, but an example scenario would be allowing you to play, say, [REDACTED] with zero fall damage. Now that’s a limited and simplistic example, but it does speak to the way we’re approaching the changes philosophically. There are some bigger ticket “classic” Halo gameplay elements which people are clamoring for and which we intend to do our best to deliver on. More news about specific changes and the timing of the Title Update will be forthcoming. But I can say that, having tried a few of the more significant tweaks, certain “classic” elements are already working with beautiful and deadly efficiency.
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-62811/85728

Thank goodness, a title update. Halo 2 got a TU it desperately needed, and now Halo Reach will get a TU. It makes me wish that Halo 3 got a TU too. All of the dual-wieldable weapons were awful, for example, and the BR too dominant. Even just giving the magnum a bit more aim assist would've helped out Halo 3 tremendously.

thehoodedsmack
June 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Oh, sweet. That could pretty well seal the deal for me buying HA10 now.

Siliconmaster
June 28th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Oh, fucking win. Even the ability to add in new options would add a lot to the game. And I'm so glad they're working to make the Ha10 maps feel more like Halo 1 while being in Reach. My hopes just went up tenfold.

DarkHalo003
June 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
So they'll be able to allow a playlist that has all Halo 1 gameplay mechanics? Nice!

Kornman00
June 29th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm sure those changes will only be tweakable by them in the backend (ie, there won't be some editor added in the mainmenu, it's only a small TU).

Unless they're doing to thru Megalo...but that'd require updating and changing every variant to support the option...and I don't recall seeing anything that would suggest a "disable fall damage", so they may be adding extra internal Megalo actions.

Or they're just creating some hopper config file which has game globals overrides, in which case my first sentence still expresses my feelings.

Also, the fucking Bag o Swag got sold out over night :|

DarkHalo003
June 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Dude, if I would have had money, I probably would have bid for some of that stuff. Too bad I have to save money for college.

BTW Korn, your sig is scaring me. Badly. x(

Hotrod
June 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
What's a Bag 'O Swag?

Kornman00
June 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
BTW Korn, your sig is scaring me. Badly. x(
◕‿◕

What's a Bag 'O Swag?
This (http://www.bungiestore.com/Bag-O-Swag/M/B0057MT1YC.htm)

DarkHalo003
June 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=bungie_aerospace

Pretty interesting, though not really Reach related. I feel like Bungie is going back to its roots by being more universal!

@Korn: :gonk:

Kornman00
July 1st, 2011, 02:23 PM
<-- is getting on Reach to play MM for the first time in over 3 months :o

Kornman00
July 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Welp, got sucked into playing Halo Wars instead for 9hrs...I think I chose the better game heh

Hey, 343i, go hire Robot Entertainment to make Halo Wars 2. Except, this time, don't have MS buy their studio. Just pay them to make good shit. You know, good shit. The exact opposite definition of MS' handling of the franchise so far...

Arteen
July 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'd much, much rather have Halo Wars 2 than Annivesary or Halo 4.

Kornman00
July 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'd much, much rather have Halo Wars 2 than Annivesary or Halo 4.
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner :woop:

DarkHalo003
July 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner :woop:
Agreed. Halo Wars 2 would supercede Halo 4 by far.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/waypointexclusives

Some cool stuff in that link; the Headhunters and Mona Lisa videos are all pretty awesome, but they still haven't finished Mona Lisa. :(

Kornman00
July 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
The acting is of the same quality as a SyFy original lol

PlasbianX
July 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
LL PlasX LL

Someone play with me sometime. I do lots of face rape. True story.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2jcew0p.jpg

DarkHalo003
July 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Send me a friend request. I'm online until the end of July (I think). I usually jump into a few games with Delta and Nugget depending whether or not they're online.

Arteen
July 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Did anyone get that Bungie iPhone app that let you gift the star nameplates to people. I was going to get the star nameplate with some friends (they played the 5 invasion games but hadn't played in the All Stars playlist yet). Apparently Bungie ended the All Stars playlist today. I thought it was going to last until 7/7.

ShadowSpartan
July 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Did anyone get that Bungie iPhone app that let you gift the star nameplates to people. I was going to get the star nameplate with some friends (they played the 5 invasion games but hadn't played in the All Stars playlist yet). Apparently Bungie ended the All Stars playlist today. I thought it was going to last until 7/7.
I just tried to give it to you, but it says that you have it already.

PlasbianX
July 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
I only played 1 game in the all stars playlist and I don't own any apple product, yet I was able to simply sign into my account this week and add the blue flames and the star.

DarkHalo003
July 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
If you got into an All-Stars playlist (BTB Allstars) then you automatically got it. That and Bungie said you could get the stuff EARLY with the iPhone, but they probably made it available for everyone after the initial stuff.

leorimolo
July 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I cant see the playlist :/

DarkHalo003
July 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I cant see the playlist :/
I believe they ended it on Thursday last week. That and you had to play at least 5 Invasion games and do pretty good to get into the playlist.

It was a decent playlist, but the gametypes (once again) made good maps bad (Wayont+DMR Slayer=SUCK).

I also rage-quitted for the first time in months when I returned to a game after taking my dog back to my backyard (he somehow got inside) and found that two assholes were spawn-camping my spawn. What's worse is that I never got revenge and then the territory got captured so i lost the bastard. To say the least, I yelled pretty damn loud. I'm so tired of Bungie still not addressing spawn-camping issues. In Invasion it's the worst, but what I don't get is why the designers didn't make Team specific safety zones.

Arteen
July 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Pretty cute ads (http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-microsoft-halo-133425). Interesting how Microsoft is using Noble 6 in the advertisements, considering he dies. I'm surprised MS let Bungie kill him off, since he would've made a decent player character to use in future Halo games.

Donut
July 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
im sure team specific safe zones would have been terrible for gameplay. one team would get the lead, then just sit there until time runs out. its like HLG minus the H. if you add a countdown timer or something to force the people out of the spawn, the other team will just camp the exit to the safe zone.

Kornman00
July 14th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Too bad you can't "trap" (eg, make them slower, or drain their health slowly, etc) an enemy player once he sticks around the spawn zone for too long. Making it impossible for them to trot off, grab extra ammo, or health, come back and continue to be a fucking douche. The camper could them become the camped.

DarkHalo003
July 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM
im sure team specific safe zones would have been terrible for gameplay. one team would get the lead, then just sit there until time runs out. its like HLG minus the H. if you add a countdown timer or something to force the people out of the spawn, the other team will just camp the exit to the safe zone.
Ah, I see what you mean, but then again it'd only be used for Invasion or something of that manifestation where you have to leave the area to achieve the goal. In other words, the Elites would have to leave their spawn zones to capture the generators, but the Spartans still could hardly spawn kill/camp them due to the team specific safe zones protecting the Elites.

Limited
August 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
So Bungie are doing updates or whatever, maybe handing over control to 343i.. what it means is most of the functionality in B.net is down, the reach servers are down meaning you cannot get any commendations, credits, armour etc...they BETTER reset the challenge timers.

nuttyyayap
August 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
So that's what's going on? I noticed when I went to play matchmaking this morning before school that everything was down/:saddowns:.

PlasbianX
August 3rd, 2011, 08:44 PM
So that's what's going on? I noticed when I went to play matchmaking this morning before school that everything was down/:saddowns:.

I think 343 is getting control over the playlists right now, and the transition isn't going well. They've been tweeting that theyre working with Bungie to fix it.

Limited
August 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Its back up and running.

What gets me is there was no warning MM was going down, if they had just said "we are switching over, MM may go down for a few hours)..least thats ample warning.

Kornman00
August 4th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Apparently Bungie's last Halo video coming out today will be around an hour long

Limited
August 4th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Apparently Bungie's last Halo video coming out today will be around an hour longIts true, going to be a sad moment :(

Kornman00
August 4th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I really fucking hate the new emoticons. They need to :gtfo:

Limited
August 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I hate the new post UI.

Edit: Does any one know if this is new? http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/stats?gamertag=Limited55&x=0&y=0 As in, do we think all the stats will go from B.net and across to Waypoint website?

=sw=warlord
August 4th, 2011, 08:00 AM
That's been there for a long time Limited.

Donut
August 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/stats?gamertag=Limited55&x=0&y=0
is it just me or are some of those kill counts fucking outrageously huge?

Limited
August 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Vidocs out..gogogogo

Limited
August 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM
That was absolutely magnificent, sad to see Halo leave the 'real' creators but new project seems intriguing.

Arteen
August 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Great vidoc. All that talk about how perfect Reach was made me cringe, though.

DarkHalo003
August 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
That was absolutely magnificent, sad to see Halo leave the 'real' creators but new project seems intriguing.
I agree. I'll miss it all though; Bungie, in my opinion, has always led the Halo charge flawlessly, even when a lot of others say they haven't. I came into Halo around Halo 2, then I worked back to Halo PC to play Halo 1. I started multiplayer playing LAN games at my school, afterwards becoming involved with the community and starting XBL with the Halo 3 Beta. Though there have been a million times where I've utterly been furious at the game or at Bungie, I'll still always think Halo belongs in their hands. I'm nervous to be honest, that more than just the story will be violated by Microsoft's corporate hunger, as music was probably my favorite thing about Halo aesthetically. As long as the next ones to carry the torch can match that, then I think Halo will be okay.

Kornman00
September 26th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Who ever handles the challenges at 343i now is really herp-derping with the goddamn number 343. An omen for the Halo brand perhaps? Perhaps.

nuttyyayap
September 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
You're talking about the challenges right, Korn? I noticed that they all seemed to end in "343" :ohdear:

Kornman00
September 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
You're talking about the challenges right, Korn?

Who ever handles the challenges at 343i now...
:p

nuttyyayap
September 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Must've missed that :downs:

Kornman00
December 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
"Default" Reach was playtested, and lauded, by MLG players long before it ever shipped, marking it as the first and only Halo title that was exposed to professional players and their feedback prior to launch. I distinctly recall players like Hysteria and Elamite Warrior noting that systems like bloom would be an incredible boon to skilled players. It's sort of en vogue now to trash it as a non-competitive, "casualized" game, even though it was vetted and influenced more significantly by MLG players than any other Halo title, ever. Part of me thinks that's sort of funny and ironic. Another part of me reads these posts and realizes that it's mostly sad. Live and learn.
From MLG and Halo: Is this the end of the road? (http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1114817)

Warsaw
December 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
I'd rather play a re-skinned clone of the original Halo's multiplayer than any of the newer games or any MLG-taylored shenanigans.

TeeKup
December 3rd, 2011, 03:36 AM
Urk is so full of shit.

=sw=warlord
December 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM
Urk is so full of shit.
Actually he's not.
I explicitly remember reading in one of the reach updates just before the beta that they had a few people from MLG in to test out what would become the beta and were getting feedback on things like bloom and armor abilities.

TeeKup
December 3rd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Let me rephrase that.

Urk is so full of himself.

I.E. shit.

nuttyyayap
December 3rd, 2011, 04:29 AM
Well this certanly explains a lot... :saddowns::ohdear:

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
How the fuck could anyone think bloom would be a boon to skilled players. It doesn't take any skill.

But honestly, MLG players don't know what they want. I played the MLG playlist on Reach very briefly and it was the most slow, boring, tedious, atrociously dull thing I've ever done on a Halo game. Let them stick to finding glitches to abuse, they don't have the first idea about design.

JackalStomper
December 3rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
MLG beta testing? I can imagine their detailed reviews on reach's gameplay...

'wtf is this aiming shit'

'wtf is this power up shit'

'this game is shit'

'wheres the br'

DarkHalo003
December 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Professional Players? Yeah, of Halo 3 maybe. It's stupid how companies try catering to MLG. They make up how much of the population anyways?

Warsaw
December 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
How the fuck could anyone think bloom would be a boon to skilled players. It doesn't take any skill.

Yes it does. We've been over this how many times now? In a 1 vs. 1 fight, the guy timing his shots with the DMR will win against the guy spamming his shots 100% of the time. What makes it look like it doesn't take skill is the fact that you never get to have 1 vs. 1 fights due to everybody running around with two-hit melee and DMR spam. Oh, and hit-scan. Fuck hit-scan. And infinite range. That can sod off as well.

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Yes it does. We've been over this how many times now? In a 1 vs. 1 fight, the guy timing his shots with the DMR will win against the guy spamming his shots 100% of the time. What makes it look like it doesn't take skill is the fact that you never get to have 1 vs. 1 fights due to everybody running around with two-hit melee and DMR spam. Oh, and hit-scan. Fuck hit-scan. And infinite range. That can sod off as well.

Timing shots does not. take. skill. Anyone can fucking do it. If you think shooting slightly slower than the max ROF is intensely skillful then the standards of gaming really have degraded.

THIS takes skill

mHo4l-qmGHI

=sw=warlord
December 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Patience is a skill.
Something which you apparently lack Pooky.

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just because I don't like bloom gameplay doesn't mean I'm bad at it. Either you're just being a troll at this point or you're incapable of forming a real argument. You have no evidence of my Reach skill one way or another besides the stats page I posted, in which I won or placed highly in the majority of games I played.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=friedmetroid

Warsaw
December 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
skill

noun1.the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude,etc., to do something well.
i.e. Carpentry was one of his many skills.

Anyone can do anything. Whether or not you've taken the time to learn how to do something properly is what classifies it as a skill. Not everyone has learned how to time their shots effectively in Reach, but anyone can learn. That makes it a skill. Not everyone knows how to model in 3ds Max, but anyone can learn. That makes modeling a skill as well.

You don't have much of an argument here, either. Your idea of what skill is seems to be completely arbitrary and opinionated. Even two-hit melee is a skill to be learned. It's just one that isn't fun to deal with. Bloom, on the other hand, is completely passive and falls in line with how we've been playing Halo for years. We've always had to burst our automatic weapons to maintain accuracy, and we've always had to slow down our pistol shots to make them land where we want them. All Bungie has done is implemented a visual aid to tell you what's going on with your weapons. You're making a huge fuss over nothing.

=sw=warlord
December 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Just because I don't like bloom gameplay doesn't mean I'm bad at it. Either you're just being a troll at this point or you're incapable of forming a real argument. You have no evidence of my Reach skill one way or another besides the stats page I posted, in which I won or placed highly in the majority of games I played.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=friedmetroid

Oh right, because you don't like having to time your shots it means it's not a skill?
Well that explains much, I guess you still think that Golden eye is the best thing since sliced bread as well?

t3h m00kz
December 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
I have to time my shots a bit on h1pc because of the spread if I ever want a 3sk. guess that isn't a skill

Arteen
December 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
All Bungie has done is implemented a visual aid to tell you what's going on with your weapons.
Can we just stop saying this?

t3h m00kz
December 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
yeah I guess it's like saying the sky is blue over and over

Arteen
December 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Precision weapons pre-Reach do not behave the same way as they do in Reach. Saying that all Bungie did was add some UI element is silly talk.

p0lar_bear
December 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Precision weapons pre-Reach do not behave the same way as they do in Reach. Saying that all Bungie did was add some UI element is silly talk.Yes and no. The projectile error mechanics have always been there, the thing is that they increased the fuck out of the DMR's error deceleration rate. The pistol's error increases if fired full auto, but this is worked around by tapping the trigger, since it's error deceleration rate is less than the time between shots. The BR in Halos 2 and 3 seemed to be fully automatic with burst fire, with little to no error to speak of, and the carbine in both games I think was semiauto only (not sure).

So yeah, Bungie added some UI element and then fucked with the mechanics of the game's token all-purpose precision weapon.

t3h m00kz
December 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
the thing with halo 1 error is, tapping the trigger too fast still caused a noticable amount of bloom and innaccuracy, IE shots will still miss. the error is determined by the amount of time the trigger is held down. regardless, the need to pace your shots is still there. Even then, there's still going to be shots at certain distances that miss due to the pistol's stock spread. Get a red ret on a target halfway across blood gulch and fire real slow, some shots are going to miss.

same with the assault rifle and plasma rifle.

e:

fuck the pistol is so random!!! no skill!!! kids who pop off 3sks are just lucky!!

kpHmEShrKSI

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
Anyone can do anything.

You don't have much of an argument here, either. Your idea of what skill is seems to be completely arbitrary and opinionated. Even two-hit melee is a skill to be learned.

Are you fucking serious? You're really comparing a 2 hit melee kill in Reach to air shot rockets in CPMA and telling me that they're both equally skilled?

You don't think it's better to have a game that takes practice and dedication to get good at? One where the best players in the game are vastly superior to the moderate ones? Because Reach is none of those things.

My argument is that timing your shots is piss fucking easy and does not in any way improve the skill required to play the game. If you can't pace your shots in Reach you need to get the fuck off the Xbox.

Yes and no. The projectile error mechanics have always been there, the thing is that they increased the fuck out of the DMR's error deceleration rate. The pistol's error increases if fired full auto, but this is worked around by tapping the trigger, since it's error deceleration rate is less than the time between shots. The BR in Halos 2 and 3 seemed to be fully automatic with burst fire, with little to no error to speak of, and the carbine in both games I think was semiauto only (not sure).

Finally someone who fucking understands this.

the thing with halo 1 error is, tapping the trigger too fast still caused a noticable amount of bloom and innaccuracy, IE shots will still miss. the error is determined by the amount of time the trigger is held down. regardless, the need to pace your shots is still there. Even then, there's still going to be shots at certain distances that miss due to the pistol's stock spread. Get a red ret on a target halfway across blood gulch and fire real slow, some shots are going to miss.

Yes, the Pistol has a SLIGHT spread. That doesn't in any way make it the same as the gigantic spread of Reach's precision weapons.

It's also not even remotely relevant to what we're actually arguing over, which is whether having to pace your shots adds a significant element of skill to the game.

t3h m00kz
December 3rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
good thing they decreased the spread in the classic playlists then!

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Too bad the Classic playlists still suck :ohdear:

I mean it was a nice gesture, but I don't think it really works. Reach needs a way larger overhaul before it can be considered classic in any way.

t3h m00kz
December 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
but... they decreased the bloom! Wasn't that the main argument for why it sucks and is totally random and takes no skill?

hm..

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
but... they decreased the bloom! Wasn't that the main argument for why it sucks and is totally random and takes no skill?

hm..

What, Reach in general? Because of bloom? Did you miss the at least 30 posts I repeatedly made where I said bloom wasn't the main problem I had with the game? Or are you just being an asshole?

Warsaw
December 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Are you fucking serious? You're really comparing a 2 hit melee kill in Reach to air shot rockets in CPMA and telling me that they're both equally skilled?

You don't think it's better to have a game that takes practice and dedication to get good at? One where the best players in the game are vastly superior to the moderate ones? Because Reach is none of those things.

My argument is that timing your shots is piss fucking easy and does not in any way improve the skill required to play the game. If you can't pace your shots in Reach you need to get the fuck off the Xbox.

That's a piss poor excuse of an argument if I've ever seen one. Now you've changed it from "it's not a skill" to "it's such an easy skill." Good job. L2 debate. It doesn't matter if it's easy when nobody on Live does it. The melee analogy is a valid one. It's easy as hell to just run around, tap the bumper twice, and get a kill. That said, a lot of people still suck at doing it. I guess most people should just stop enjoying Xbox Live, right? And of course I like games that take skill. I agree that Reach is completely non-competitive and way too n00b-friendly, just like Halo 2 and Halo 3 were. I'm not defending it in that aspect. I just think that you should calm down over the bloom mechanic; I'd be fine with it even if it were in the original Halo, because it is not the cause of ANY problems with the game-play in Reach, period. The blame goes to melee lunge, aim assist, infinite DMR range, terrible map layouts, terrible movement mechanics, and shitty weapon tags.

If you're going to debate, sit down and think through what you are saying before just spewing it out. Your platform is so full of holes that it can pass for Swiss cheese.

@Arteen: true, but it doesn't really effect how we use the guns. Who here didn't pace their shots pre-Reach anyways?

Pooky
December 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
That's a piss poor excuse of an argument if I've ever seen one. Now you've changed it from "it's not a skill" to "it's such an easy skill." Good job. L2 debate.

Learn to understand the meaning of a term in context. Which is something you've bitched at me about before.

It doesn't matter if it's easy when nobody on Live does it.

I do it... virtually every person I've played against has done it. Except maybe in the very first days of playing when I was lower in the trueskill ranks.

I guess most people should just stop enjoying Xbox Live, right?

Yeah, because I totally fucking said that. Oh wait, I said the exact opposite quite a few times. My issue is with the idiots that try to defend Reach as a serious competitive game. Which I've also said quite a few times.

If you're going to debate, sit down and think through what you are saying before just spewing it out. Your platform is so full of holes that it can pass for Swiss cheese.

I could say the same to anyone else in this thread.

I just think that you should calm down over the bloom mechanic;

Did you miss the at least 30 posts I repeatedly made where I said bloom wasn't the main problem I had with the game?

This is all just part of some plot right? Let's troll Pooky by repeatedly claiming that he said things he actually said the opposite of? Because everyone on Modacity can't possibly have this bad of short term memory.

Warsaw
December 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
You started the argument about bloom again, by implying that it makes no sense for anyone to think that bloom increases a game's competitiveness. Deal with the consequences.

That said, the majority of players that I've run across in Reach just spam the trigger with the DMR. That is why I win when I don't get double teamed, every time.

If you can't pace your shots in Reach you need to get the fuck off the Xbox.

Since, as I just said, most people can't pace their shots in my experience, that statement makes you come off as a total dickweed.

I'm taking your words in context just fine, I'm just choosing to use them against you so you will choose more wisely next time. Clearly you aren't getting the message. If that's not your main issue with the game, then STFU and stop bringing it up as if it were, especially when it hardly has any bearing whatsoever on how us "skilled" people play the game compared to the other titles in the franchise.

Pooky
December 4th, 2011, 12:01 AM
You started the argument about bloom again, by implying that it makes no sense for anyone to think that bloom increases a game's competitiveness. Deal with the consequences.

That said, the majority of players that I've run across in Reach just spam the trigger with the DMR. That is why I win when I don't get double teamed, every time.

Since, as I just said, most people can't pace their shots in my experience, that statement makes you come off as a total dickweed.

I'm taking your words in context just fine, I'm just choosing to use them against you so you will choose more wisely next time. Clearly you aren't getting the message. If that's not your main issue with the game, then STFU and stop bringing it up as if it were, especially when it hardly has any bearing whatsoever on how us "skilled" people play the game compared to the other titles in the franchise.

How does 'having to pace your shots doesn't add a significant element of skill to the gameplay' = 'bloom is the main problem with Halo: Reach'. That's an absolutely retarded leap of logic.

So I'm going to contend that you don't take my words in context just fine, and neither apparently do the majority of people in this thread.

I don't know what kind of Reach players you've been up against, but I guess you must be lower in the rankings than me because I've never encountered people who just spam the trigger.

e: unless it's in close quarters of course

I'll give you this one, as I could have phrased that better. I'm not referring to the majority of people on Xbox Live. I'm referring to the people in this thread. In this case, you.

TeeKup
December 4th, 2011, 12:17 AM
TeeKup: I wish the two people I've known since I got into the community would stop arguing
TeeKup: its like a scene in an anime
TeeKup: im sitting at a table reading a manga and my two best friends are bickering away.
TeeKup: then it suddenly turns sexual
TeeKup: but ill end it here
TeeKup: LOL
Pooky: uh what

*twirls hair*

Kornman00
December 4th, 2011, 12:55 AM
*sniff*, it just fills me with joy when I can revive a thread back to full life after two months :')

Personally, I'd rather be arguing about Sarge's 'stache and fat crewmen. What with it being newer news and all.

TeeKup
December 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
We can argue at the horrible animations when people talk, especially with Cortana.

Kornman00
December 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
ugh, I'm trying not to think of her, please don't remind me. How am I suppose to enjoy nudes of Cortana now :saddowns:? Thx alot 343i/Saber

Pooky
December 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM
SERIOUSLY, THIS IS WHAT CORTANA LOOKS LIKE WHEN SHE TALKS

http://i.imgur.com/El1nk.jpg

TeeKup
December 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM
How about that scene when she's bitching at Guilty Spark in Two Betrayals where it looks like she could fit a horse dick in her mouth.

Arteen
December 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM
@Arteen: true, but it doesn't really effect how we use the guns. Who here didn't pace their shots pre-Reach anyways?
Of course it does. For example, you can "spam" your BR, but you can't spam your DMR. I'd call that a substantial difference.

DarkHalo003
December 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
After that first encounter with Cortana's vacuum-cleaner mouth...
PERMANENT CLASSIC MODE :saddowns:
Cortana's FUCKING TERRIBLE rigging ruined the remaining cutscenes for me. Fuck, I hate it when small details like this ruin experiences. At least cutscenes don't need aesthetic improvements to be awesome. :awesome:

Hotrod
December 4th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I think one reason they were stuck with the shitty talking animations was due to needing to stick to the original bone structure for models, no?

DarkHalo003
December 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM
They really didn't give that much thought or two shits about these cinematics did they?

Warsaw
December 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
The cut-scenes were actually one of the worst parts about HA10. I generally skip them.

Of course it does. For example, you can "spam" your BR, but you can't spam your DMR. I'd call that a substantial difference.

But the placed BR rounds will still win out over the trigger spamming. Maybe I wasn't straight-forward enough, but the point was that just because you can do it doesn't mean that it is effective. However, you can learn to spam a BR to make rapid headshots. By the same token, you can learn the spread of the DMR to do the same, just like you can do with Counter-Strike weapons. Both are skills to be learned. That is why I still maintain that bloom has not altered how we play the game in any real way.

Arteen
December 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
But the placed BR rounds will still win out over the trigger spamming. Maybe I wasn't straight-forward enough, but the point was that just because you can do it doesn't mean that it is effective. However, you can learn to spam a BR to make rapid headshots. By the same token, you can learn the spread of the DMR to do the same, just like you can do with Counter-Strike weapons. Both are skills to be learned. That is why I still maintain that bloom has not altered how we play the game in any real way.
First, there's no such thing as "spamming" precision weapons in pre-Reach games. Second, I don't understand your argument. The BR takes one set of skills to use effectively. The DMR takes a different set of skills to use effectively. Therefore they are basically the same?

=sw=warlord
December 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
First, there's no such thing as "spamming" precision weapons in pre-Reach games
Wait..What?!
Did you ever play Halo 2 or Halo 3 in their prime?
What kind of crack are you on?

DarkHalo003
December 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I thought the BR was too powerful in a lot of situations, spam or not. Then again, having a lack of available cover and the enemy having grenades all of the damn time in every map didn't really help ton this down. I love grenades and all, but some times I really feel like they ruin the game at times.

JackalStomper
December 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
The BR was very spammy, low spread meant all encounters were just max rof 'whoever shoots first wins' fights. Most boring way to play Halo ever, probably why MLG is so fond of it.

Warsaw
December 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
First, there's no such thing as "spamming" precision weapons in pre-Reach games. Second, I don't understand your argument. The BR takes one set of skills to use effectively. The DMR takes a different set of skills to use effectively. Therefore they are basically the same?

I'm saying that the end result is the same. How you play ends up being almost identical to how you've been playing. You still end up pacing your shots to get them to land where you want them.

And now that I'm caught up:

How does 'having to pace your shots doesn't add a significant element of skill to the gameplay' = 'bloom is the main problem with Halo: Reach'. That's an absolutely retarded leap of logic.

So I'm going to contend that you don't take my words in context just fine, and neither apparently do the majority of people in this thread.

Actually, you just made that retarded leap of logic on your own. All I did was say that you keep bringing bloom up, while also saying that it's not a big deal, while also further stating that having to pace your shots is not a skill. I'm telling to stop bringing it up if it is so irrelevant, and to stop making the generalization that everyone just paces their shots, because they don't. Admittedly, I am lower in the rankings because I just don't play the game (because it sucks as a whole), but not because I am bad at it. However, that is hardly a measure of how much stock you should put in a comment; this isn't an e-peen measuring contest, this is about you making non-arguments on a consistent basis. I made my arguments and shot your posts down by calling them out for what they are. You made absolutely nothing in response other than the following statement:

"Whaaaaa, everyone is trolling me because I don't read my own original posts, and then I go and edit them so that it looks like they really are quoting me out of context."

How the fuck could anyone think bloom would be a boon to skilled players. It doesn't.

Did you miss the at least 30 posts I repeatedly made where I said bloom wasn't the main problem I had with the game?

[/debate]

Like I said, if it isn't that big of a deal: STOP. BRINGING. IT. UP. I didn't make any retarded leap of logic, you are just shoving words into my mouth as per usual. I've quoted you and used your arguments in context, and you have edited your posts after the fact to make what you were saying "more clear." The proof is in the fact that your last post contains no content, all filler.

You want a real competitive game? Go and play Starcraft II. Go play Red Orchestra. Reach, JKII, Call of Duty, and even Battlefield are little more than glory-hounding games where a single player can just skew results because of "skill." That "skill" is actually just knowing the game's mechanics and how to abuse them in such a way that it lets you do unholy things, things that were never even dreamed of during the game's development. I'm willing to wager that half of the stuff in Quake III is outside of the game's original design/gameplay parameters.

Real skill is knowing how to handily beat your opponent without abusing any mechanics, on a consistent basis. That's knowing what units to build early on in a game and how to organize your defense. That's knowing the distance to the target based on experience and how much you need to angle your shot to make that kill. That's knowing when to rush and when to turtle. That's knowing when to flank or when to throw that grenade and mop up. If we want to use games that you think are skillful (or not), that's knowing when to pull the trigger with your DMR, when to parry with your light-saber rather than thrust, or when to circumnavigate the map with your tank because experience tells you that all the other routes are an ambush in given conditions. THAT is skill.

Pooky
December 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I still don't get how people can consider 'spamming' a weapon with a constant rate of fire and spread to be a huge issue. It happens in almost every FPS game ever, because shooting your enemy more than 1 time in a row is generally the best way to kill them. What the hell is wrong with that?

=sw=warlord
December 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I still don't get how people can consider 'spamming' a weapon with a constant rate of fire and spread to be a huge issue. It happens in almost every FPS game ever, because shooting your enemy more than 1 time in a row is generally the best way to kill them. What the hell is wrong with that?
Are you really overlooking the fact that the BR could be used in almost full auto with little bullet scatter which even if you strafed you have a one in three chance of getting a headshot in a game where there was little cover?
if that's the case, let's just spawn everyone with a turret which is one hit kill and locks onto everyone with unlimited distance and play an FPS version of tower defense.

Warsaw
December 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Nothing. But on the flip-side, what's wrong with mixing it up so it's not so easy to shoot at them more than once? I have no problem with either mode, they are both perfectly fine.

JackalStomper
December 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Most games deliberately complicate matters with low ROF, fast movement, limited ammo, or weapon inaccuracy.

Halo does none of these

Games before Halo did though, back when having a learning curve and actual challenge in gameplay was considered fun. Now games just inflate entertainment value with lots of explosions, pretty graphics, and ranking systems.

It's the truth that Halo revolutionized gaming, it just wasn't in a good way.

=sw=warlord
December 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I still think we should just remove all weapons and shields, make everyone on a rail ride and have everyone spawn with deployable turrets which have 1 hit kill with a ROF of 100 rounds a minute with no bullet error.

E:
I over looked Pookys whole "look at my stats"
Given that I've played far more games one would imagine it would be harder to keep a consistent skill level.
Pooky. (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=friedmetroid)
Myself. (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/default.aspx?player=the%20insane%20core)
Notice how I'm actually getting a higher win/loss ratio even at my relatively high rank and yet pooky is consistently in the lower 50% of the game?
Very telling.:allears:

Oh and for anyone freaking out over the "randomness" [which in itself is an oxymoron].
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CTM49rcrs

Let's all just agree to disagree and settle on that Bloom is a visual marker denoting how high the bullet error increases the higher the ROF you pull the trigger and be done with it.
K?
K.

Cortexian
December 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM
This is why we can't have nice things, people just bicker their opinion like they're beating a dead horse without providing any really good counter-argument.

I'm guilty of this as well, but unlike you, I'm a moderator and I have to kinda clean shit up. So yeah, stop the bickering in here (you know who you are).

Pooky
December 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Notice how I'm actually getting a higher win/loss ratio even at my relatively high rank and yet pooky is consistently in the lower 50% of the game?
Very telling.:allears:

This isn't a dick waving contest, as Warsaw said. The only reason I posted that is to disprove your notion that I was incapable of winning games.

Let's all just agree to disagree and settle on that Bloom is a visual marker denoting how high the bullet error increases the higher the ROF you pull the trigger and be done with it.

Everyone already knows that, that's not what all the arguing is about. The arguing is about the drastically increased rate at which the precision weapons lose accuracy, as well as how inaccurate they now become.

I'm fine with dropping it though.

Ryx
December 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Why does everyone argue about dmr bloom?

Is noone else with me on how nerfed the pistol is vs h1?

DarkHalo003
December 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Why does everyone argue about dmr bloom?

Is noone else with me on how nerfed the pistol is vs h1?
Nah, we're too stuck on the fact that the gameplay surrounding the new pistol in Reach's TU is generally linear and awful.

Warsaw
December 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Nah, we're too stuck on the fact that the gameplay surrounding the new pistol in Reach's TU is generally linear and awful.

:mech2:

DarkHalo003
December 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Icwutudidthar.

Pooky
December 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM

That at least is one thing we can always agree on.

Kornman00
December 31st, 2011, 05:18 PM
AwdJysbF2z8
heh

TeeKup
December 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM
KORN MAN WHAT DID YOU DO?!

nuttyyayap
December 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Why would you do that I don't even...

BobtheGreatII
January 1st, 2012, 01:09 AM
You're a monster.

t3h m00kz
January 1st, 2012, 01:37 AM
Why.jpg

Kornman00
January 1st, 2012, 06:43 AM
That wasn't even me lol, I don't waste my time with Reach anymore.

DarkHalo003
January 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Reach is okay if you like Invasion and Single Player, but even those could have been way better.

Pooky
January 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Reach is okay if you like Invasion and Single Player, but even those could have been way better.

Sometimes it's fun to go on there and just team shoot your allies, drive vehicles off cliffs, and run the wrong way with the objective. All while playing this into the mic

wd63P7mYXzo&fmt=18

Spartan094
January 4th, 2012, 10:33 PM
So uh I did the Terminal thing and got 100,000 cR, ok I was super happy because I was 2,300ish cR away from being a Legend. I went and played a game of BTB and my bar went backwards 30,000 cR

Fuck I thought they got rid of the cR cap, when did the bring back this shit?

Kornman00
January 5th, 2012, 12:04 AM
IIRC, it's always been there, just the bar was set high. Pretty sure they talked about it in a HWU.

Hotrod
January 5th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I also remember 343 Industries saying in a Bulletin that they were removing the daily credit cap, I can't be crazy, right?

Kornman00
January 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I also remember 343 Industries saying in a Bulletin that they were removing the daily credit cap, I can't be crazy, right?
Hmmm

Pretty sure they talked about it in a HWU.
That may be what I'm recalling then

Siliconmaster
January 5th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hmm, is that the level cap, or is it the offline/online conversion? Iirc, if you get achievements offline, your credits are far higher than when you go online, and it converts them as such.

=sw=warlord
January 7th, 2012, 02:43 PM
http://halofanforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Waypoint-terminal-1.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/1/1b/TerminalDecoded.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/7/76/830px-Forerunner_glyphs2.jpg

NotZac
January 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Welp, that first pic says Halo 4

*e: In fact, if you go in order by terminals:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7013/xdfo9i.jpg

they say...

1: 343GS
2: HALO4
3: SPARK
4: FLOOD
5: EARTH
6: DEMON
7: RINGS
8: ARRAY
9: HUMAN
10: HAVEN

neuro
January 12th, 2012, 08:40 AM
so uhh is that some sort of console-only-syndrome?

PUNISHING players for leaving a game?
why the hell and how the hell is that reasonable?

if i dont want to play anymore, i quit, regardless of reason.
and here they're suggesting that if i leave a game, i'm not allowed to join another until the game i left has actualyl ended.

WHHHUUAATTTTT????
can anyone explain this garbage to a PC-gamer?

Hotrod
January 12th, 2012, 09:36 AM
so uhh is that some sort of console-only-syndrome?

PUNISHING players for leaving a game?
why the hell and how the hell is that reasonable?

if i dont want to play anymore, i quit, regardless of reason.
and here they're suggesting that if i leave a game, i'm not allowed to join another until the game i left has actualyl ended.

WHHHUUAATTTTT????
can anyone explain this garbage to a PC-gamer?
I don't get it either... Being punished for quitting is retarded.

DarkHalo003
January 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I can understand it because it pisses me the fuck off. In Halo, now-a-days, you're fucked over by spawn kills and superior numbers if someone quits. And that "just go into matchmaking with friends1!!!1111!!!" excuse is a load of shit. I say just remove the quit option all together. Brothers till the end.:iamafag:

Kornman00
January 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah, while all of that article sounds pretty cool, Reach won't see any of it. Hopefully Halo4 will have improvements. They can start with using the Kinect to streamline some of the in your face shit too (should get people to invest in a Kinect more).

Instead of going through 500 prompts to place a penalty on someone, use a Kinect voice command. Tada. No more complete disconnect from the game with silly UIs.

=sw=warlord
January 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I imagine they could make it so the system knows when a disconnect is intentional or whether it was accidental.
IE: Kinect sees that the user has stayed in place when disconnected or whether user has left their position to disconnect the cord/adapter.
There's a lot that Kinect could be used that's likely to be never even be checked up on.

Siliconmaster
January 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM
@DarkHalcyon- great summary of why quitting on consoles is a pain in the ass. Pretty much one out of every 5 games has people quit, and as a result the odds become weirdly stacked for one side or the other.

@neuro and Hotrod- getting penalized for quitting on a pc is inane, but on a console it's one of the few ways to prevent what amounts to a total clusterfuck. I think COD allows for mid-game joining, but Halo is be-there-at-the-beginning-or-find-another-game.

Warsaw
January 12th, 2012, 05:01 PM
They should remove the penalty and just let people join like in CoD. That's how games work on PC, I don't see why it has to be different on consoles. It's not the game's fault that you joined late (and as such it shouldn't count that round on your rank that heavily), and you'll get a chance to prove your worth next round.

Pooky
January 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I can understand it because it pisses me the fuck off. In Halo, now-a-days, you're fucked over by spawn kills and superior numbers if someone quits. And that "just go into matchmaking with friends1!!!1111!!!" excuse is a load of shit. I say just remove the quit option all together. Brothers till the end.:iamafag:

That's dumb. I would just eject the disk. We used to do that all the time in Halo 3 when it was going to something we didn't want to play, since Bungie tried to be clever by removing the option to back out once the variant is locked in.

Hotrod
January 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
They should remove the penalty and just let people join like in CoD. That's how games work on PC, I don't see why it has to be different on consoles. It's not the game's fault that you joined late (and as such it shouldn't count that round on your rank that heavily), and you'll get a chance to prove your worth next round.
The reasoning used for not allowing people to join mid-game for Halo has something to do with it being "a competitive game" or something like that. I can't say that I would like to be stuck into the middle of a game for Halo either, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have people come in during the game to make the sides even.

Hotrod
January 13th, 2012, 01:19 AM
They could split the playlists between Social and Ranked. Anyone in the Social playlists could join mid-match while people looking for Ranked games could wait until a match starts.
I actually really like this idea and could totally see it working!

Warsaw
January 13th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Or they could nut up and accept the fact that Halo is not and never really was a "competitive game." That title has always belonged first and foremost to Counter-Strike and remains so to this day.

neuro
January 13th, 2012, 02:46 AM
how the hell does 'competitive' rule out players being able to join a game halfway in?

Warsaw
January 13th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Because not letting players join mid-way prevents somebody really good from joining in the middle and turning the game around, "skewing" the results.

Yeah, it's total BS.

Pooky
January 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Basically, Halo takes its matchmaking way too seriously. CoD's matchmaking is far better. Instead of spending half an hour trying to find a 'fair' game it just throws you in with the first batch of people it can find.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2012, 05:33 AM
tl;dr of the conversation: rankings are stupid and should GTFO of my Halo.

t3h m00kz
January 13th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Or they could nut up and accept the fact that Halo is not and never really was a "competitive game." That title has always belonged first and foremost to Counter-Strike and remains so to this day.

play halo 3's mlg playlist, make it to level 20 then tell me the community's not competitive

people take that shit serial

I stopped playing H3 because the last thing in life I need to stress out over is proving my worth in a fucking video game. I've got debt and employment for that.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2012, 06:11 AM
How serious people take it doesn't make the game competitive. What makes a game competitive is it actually having a competitive pace and mechanics that don't behave as a handicap to those who already know what they are doing (i.e. aim assist and regenerating health).

Counter-Strike is probably the current epitome of a competitive first-person shooter.

That said, yeah. I never played Halo to prove my worth (or any video game, for that matter). I play them to relax and have fun. If something is causing me to pop a blood vessel (incessant griefers, bullshit mechanics, dysfunctional team) then I'm done. I don't do well in competitive environments because they force me to use tactics and equipment that I feel are cheap/low/not fun for me in order to not get demolished. I don't like being forced into picking up a DMR on a tiny map that the DMR should actually be terrible for.

DarkHalo003
January 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I play Halo for leisure. That being said, when I play it to wind-down and relax I expect to be able to enjoy myself. Then someone quits. Then I'm spawn killed. I'm not enjoying myself.

t3h m00kz
January 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
How serious people take it doesn't make the game competitive. What makes a game competitive is it actually having a competitive pace and mechanics that don't behave as a handicap to those who already know what they are doing (i.e. aim assist and regenerating health).

Counter-Strike is probably the current epitome of a competitive first-person shooter.

That said, yeah. I never played Halo to prove my worth (or any video game, for that matter). I play them to relax and have fun. If something is causing me to pop a blood vessel (incessant griefers, bullshit mechanics, dysfunctional team) then I'm done. I don't do well in competitive environments because they force me to use tactics and equipment that I feel are cheap/low/not fun for me in order to not get demolished. I don't like being forced into picking up a DMR on a tiny map that the DMR should actually be terrible for.

in h3's defense auto-aim didn't mean shit if the players strafe around randomly everywhere. part of the reason everyone loved h3's BR and called the game a competitive masterpiece was because the projectile velocity made the auto-aim completely useless in some situations. yeah, reach didn't have this.

ex:

mzMTD0HYnFQ

and forgive me but I fail to see how shield regeneration makes a game less competitive. it's not like it regenerates mid-fight. it regenerates between fights to let everybody have a fair chance to kill other players, which encourages team play and "out BR-ing"

but what do I know, I'm not a 50. highest I got was 45

Donut
January 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM
^ i like how that shit would hardly make a difference with a keyboard and mouse. but wow now that i see somebody actually put into words how to strafe around like that in first person, i can see why i hit a fucking wall in ranked slayer. got to 39, could never, for the life of me, hit 40.

watching that makes me want to try halo 3 again, but with a mouse and keyboard.

Pooky
January 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Halo 3 definitely had the competitive edge much more so than Reach does. In retrospect that probably explains why I played so much more of it.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM
It does. But it isn't Counter-Strike level of competitiveness.

Also, m00kz, I said regenerating health isn't competitive. The shields are fine, but having a finite amount of health under that means you can formulate strategies based that mechanic. Shoot a guy into half health, you know where the health packs are, you can direct your team to them to cut him off. Similarly, it encourages caution on the part of the player and brings the big picture of the game into focus, rather than placing emphasis individual encounters.

Also, juking on console is bullshit and you know it. It works, and half that reason is because of aim assist. If someone is juking and there's aim assist, then the game is constantly throwing your aim off, making it hard to actually adjust to the juking. It's a pain in the ass; someone juking left-right means I should just be able to aim centre and squeeze the trigger when appropriate to counter (I'm simplifying this, but n00bs will actually aim back and forth until they figure it out), but that just isn't what's happening.

Arteen
January 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Maybe they should make multiplayer better so people won't want to quit! But since that won't happen, just have drop-in, drop-out matchmaking for fuck's sake.

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Just put the game on PC like The Way It Was Meant To Be (TM)

Pooky
January 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
It would still suck on PC. But at least on PC we could mod it and fix it ourselves.

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Exactly

=sw=warlord
January 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
It would still suck on PC. But at least on PC we could mod it and fix it ourselves.
You mean like Halo 2 vista?

Hotrod
January 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Touché...

Pooky
January 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM

No, I don't mean like Halo 2 Vista. Obviously if I'm hoping for a PC port I'm hoping for a good PC port.

That said, there are people out there modding H2V and making it better.

t3h m00kz
January 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM
any microsoft games on pc are pretty much always fucking horrible

actually, most games these days are fucking horrible.

brb supporting indie devs

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 10:23 PM
brb supporting indie devs
You mean like the buttfuck who took over my XBL account?

Here's a list of the games they fucking blew my ~900MSP on:

Anger Management 4 Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Anger Management 2 Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
CastleMiner Z Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Firing Range Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Wabbits! Jumping For Fun Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Avatar Connection Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
4P Ping-Pong Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Hypnotizing Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Super Tank Run Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
The Most Addicting Sheep Game Indie Game

:maddowns:

neuro
January 17th, 2012, 04:07 AM
what i don't get, is why you don't get that stuff refunded.

'WE HAVE UR MONEY NOW AHAHHHAHAHAH'

ODX
January 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
So I've had a 360 for about 3 or so weeks now (XBL: iODX), and it came with Reach. Been having a blast.

Today I decided to try the MLG playlist.
...what

Delta4907
January 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Added ya. All I really play is BTB though, sometimes Invasion. And some of the Anniversary playlists.

DarkHalo003
January 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I wish I still had XBL (and an Xbox to boot) on my Account. Alas, college does not take kindly to online multiplayer. Too much time overlapping, not enough payoff. Still miss it all though.

Cortexian
February 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM
hi is this game on pc yet?

Kornman00
February 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
No, but Halo 6 will be. It's how MS is going to sell Windows 14

=sw=warlord
February 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
No, but Halo 6 will be. It's how MS is going to sell Windows 14
Halo 6 was reach :iamafag:

Kornman00
February 3rd, 2012, 01:09 AM
Nay,

Halo1, new engine
Halo2, newer engine
Halo3, newer engine
Halo3:ODST, modified Halo3 engine
Halo Reach, newer engine

Halo Reach was Halo4. Halo4 is actually still Halo4, 343i is just trollin' about some new trilogy. Kinda like Lucas and the Prequels.

t3h m00kz
February 3rd, 2012, 05:29 AM
well, technically speaking all of the engines were "modified" versions of the older ones. it's not like they completely re-wrote the engine for each game, they just kept rolling in newer and newer code, replaced the old code to fit the needs of the game design, etc etc, just like updates to computer software and programs

I never understood what makes ODST so much different to warrant the "modified" engine label aside from it having less code changes rolled in than any of the other games

=sw=warlord
February 3rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Nay,

Halo1, new engine
Halo2, newer engine
Halo3, newer engine
Halo3:ODST, modified Halo3 engine
Halo Reach, newer engine

NOPE.
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo wars
Halo ODST
Halo:Reach [IE: Halo 6]

Halo wars may be a different studio/engine/game genre but it's still a full fledged game.

Kornman00
February 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
well, technically speaking all of the engines were "modified" versions of the older ones. it's not like they completely re-wrote the engine for each game, they just kept rolling in newer and newer code, replaced the old code to fit the needs of the game design, etc etc, just like updates to computer software and programs

I never understood what makes ODST so much different to warrant the "modified" engine label aside from it having less code changes rolled in than any of the other games
The changes done (some systems were pretty much completely redone; gui, shaders, etc) to the engines as I listed them are how a program company would label their programs v1, v2, v3.5, etc. It's still the same product, just the amount of underlying technology is just not the same code as before due to upgrades or drastic remodeling (eg, much of the tag system was changed for the better from Halo1 to Reach, shader tags are MUCH different from Halo1 in Reach, etc).

ODST didn't really change much of the underlying technology like Halo2->Halo3 or Halo3->Reach did. Engine wise, it was very much a 3.5.

HaloWars isn't included because it's not made with the Halo engine, which is what I was basing my originally sarcastic post on. I mean, people don't count StarWars:KOTOR into the SW triliogies do they? No, because it's not the same stuff. The Phoenix engine is far from what the Blam engine is.

Warsaw
February 3rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
I've seen it called Blam! and I've seen it called Acid Rain. Which one is it?

BobtheGreatII
February 3rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure it's Blam!

t3h m00kz
February 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM
The changes done (some systems were pretty much completely redone; gui, shaders, etc) to the engines as I listed them are how a program company would label their programs v1, v2, v3.5, etc. It's still the same product, just the amount of underlying technology is just not the same code as before due to upgrades or drastic remodeling (eg, much of the tag system was changed for the better from Halo1 to Reach, shader tags are MUCH different from Halo1 in Reach, etc).

ODST didn't really change much of the underlying technology like Halo2->Halo3 or Halo3->Reach did. Engine wise, it was very much a 3.5.

HaloWars isn't included because it's not made with the Halo engine, which is what I was basing my originally sarcastic post on. I mean, people don't count StarWars:KOTOR into the SW triliogies do they? No, because it's not the same stuff. The Phoenix engine is far from what the Blam engine is.

true.

I suppose I base my perspective on the idea of, how much of a change is needed to warrant calling it a new engine?

for instance, let's say you swap out an engine of an old car. would you still call it the same car? now let's say you do body work, replace the tires, seats, the whole shebang. at which point does it stop being the same car?

it all seems like a huge gray area to me, idk

regardless, as far as I'm concerned, halo "6" will be whatever game they give the retail name "Halo 6." the code names for the games are all different, and rarely (if at all) use numerics, and I've never really considered the engine version to have any influence

Ryx
February 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just bought the noble and defiant mappacks yesterday. I didn't know they had split the playlist, and the only DLC one was squad, which no one plays. Just washed $20 down the drain, and fuck you too 343.

DarkHalo003
February 16th, 2012, 01:03 PM
By the way, the ATLAS app on the iTouch is a waste of $5.

Arteen
March 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Goddamnit. It's been a year and a half since Reach came out and Invasion is still broken as hell. You only get one spawn point during the first wave. If elites start spawn-camping you on Spire, there is literally nothing you can do. They can just throw down a plasma grenade right before you spawn and bam you're dead.