PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Limited
January 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I cant be the only one that thinks that grenade icon is freaking way too BIG?!?

Also that AR looks like it got raped by a chunk of metal, I'm hating it. BR thing looks sexi though.

Also, that blurred out thing is a feature thing right? Probably shows squad based stuff.

Advancebo
January 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
The HUD is probably still in beta.

sdavis117
January 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
They have already said that they have changed the HUD since that screenshot.

Advancebo
January 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM
They have already said that they have changed the HUD since that screenshot.

Only thing they said is that they changed the color to blue.

Delta4907
January 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM
All the screenshots are from much older builds than what it is now, "Pre-Thanksgiving", as they said

Advancebo
January 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Just a post on how the art evolved through Halo Reach. (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=24541)

With images:
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Assault_Rifle_Comparisons.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Warthog_Comparisons.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Marine_Comparisons.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Elite_Comparisons.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Grunt_Comparisons.jpg

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
LOL @ THE GRUNT.

He looks p badass though.

Inferno
January 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/ReachCampaign_m10_firstperson.jpg

What is with the crosshairs being so off-center?

I don't think there is a crosshair. I think that's some kind of objective marker.

Or there doing lost planet style aiming. Which would suck in FP.

Huero
January 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I don't think there is a crosshair. I think that's some kind of objective marker.

works pretty well for ARMA II

Advancebo
January 26th, 2010, 08:10 PM

So wheres the real reticle :realsmug:

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
ya inferno, that would be pretty stupid.

BobtheGreatII
January 26th, 2010, 10:40 PM
So wheres the real reticle :realsmug:

There very well could not be one. Beta HUD after all.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 11:03 PM
doubt they would take pictures of a build without even a hud. Besides, wasn't this build played by swedes?

Rob Oplawar
January 26th, 2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Assault_Rifle_Comparisons.jpg
distinctively Halo weapon -> generic sci-fi looking gun
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/reach_comparisons/Warthog_Comparisons.jpg
distinctively olive green -> generic sci-fi greys

:/

but I do love the H3 marine, and the reach marine is alright, albeit short and stout. he needs to shed a bit of that gear, or slim it down. And i like the direction they're going with the elites and grunts

e: If I haven't said so already, I find the new screenshots much more promising than the ones I was criticizing before. The lighting and atmosphere in these shots looks much more impressive. Ok, I'm really shallow.

Heathen
January 26th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I agree about the elites.

t3h m00kz
January 26th, 2010, 11:56 PM
distinctively Halo weapon -> generic sci-fi looking gun
distinctively olive green -> generic sci-fi greys

:/

but I do love the H3 marine, and the reach marine is alright, albeit short and stout. he needs to shed a bit of that gear, or slim it down. And i like the direction they're going with the elites and grunts

e: If I haven't said so already, I find the new screenshots much more promising than the ones I was criticizing before. The lighting and atmosphere in these shots looks much more impressive. Ok, I'm really shallow.

Keep in mind that "distinctive Halo weapon" was once a distinctive Aliens weapon. Like, no joke. Back when the assault rifle in Halo 1 had that olive green tint to the grip, it was extremely similar to one of the weapons in the Aliens series.

Halo was not at all a completely original idea, but rather a very good blend of other ideas.

Rob Oplawar
January 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
^ fair enough. Actually, I was trying to make a point, but I quite like the new AR (if that is indeed what it is) and the new Hog. I would like it a little better if it had the olive green, but it's still pretty badass looking. Oh my tastes are so fickle.

Warsaw
January 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I can dig the new Assault rifle. I actually kinda like it. That Battle Rifle, however, looks like an ugly brick. And rails? When did Halo start having rails like that? No better way to make a gun look ugly than by adding rails.

ODX
January 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
This is starting to seem less and less like the Halo I love, and more and more like a generic sci-fi shooter.

Good_Apollo
January 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
The game looks like Unreal Tournament 3 had sex with Crysis.

Halo in title only. Again, RIP friend.

Disaster
January 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm digging the Assault rifle. Totally seems like a prototype weapon. It looks like the halo assault rifle, just missing parts of it like the grip and the area around the ammo counter.

TeeKup
January 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
What the hell did they do to my assault rifle...it looks so ugly...

BobtheGreatII
January 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm digging the Assault rifle. Totally seems like a prototype weapon. It looks like the halo assault rifle, just missing parts of it like the grip and the area around the ammo counter.

This was my first impression. Just looked like a more clunky and prototype of the AR. I love it too.

Rob Oplawar
January 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm seeing mixed reactions. I think we're gonna have to reserve judgement until we can actually play the game and get a feel for it- a lot of Halo is how it feels. There's something about the movement mechanics, the way the weapons give feedback, the way you can really feel when you're hitting your enemy (as opposed to so many other games, where you just hold down the trigger while pointing at an enemy and think you might be hitting them- halo gives the sparks, the blood spray, the sounds... somehow it's very visceral). I don't expect Reach to be any different.

Props to Bungie for nailing the console shooter so well- they may change the story and the appearance, but it will always at least feel like Halo, and that's fantastic.

Heathen
January 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I love the new AR.

Good_Apollo
January 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Prototype? Why would they be using a prototype of the AR when it was available in Halo CE...which took place mere days, if not hours, within the Fall of Reach.

Please, somebody give me a bullshit answer to justify this change. A prototype of the Battle Rifle would make more sense, since that's what they found in the CASTLE armory along with the Magnum and SMG.

Advancebo
January 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Prototype? Why would they be using a prototype of the AR when it was available in Halo CE...which took place mere days, if not hours, within the Fall of Reach.

Please, somebody give me a bullshit answer to justify this change.

Reach was the main center of the military. So it would be a place to test new/prototype weapons and such.

Good_Apollo
January 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Reach was the main center of the military. So it would be a place to test new/prototype weapons and such.So the regular AR will be in the game as well? If not then you're talking about something that's standard issue. There wouldn't be platoons of Marines with prototype rifles, no.

Warsaw
January 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM
This is starting to seem less and less like the Halo I love, and more and more like a generic sci-fi shooter.

Happened after Halo 2 mate. I think Bungie is drawing too much inspiration from Call of Duty, Gears, and all the other big name shooters out now. But hey, make the most of what you do get, right?

To me, the new MA5 looks like what I imagined the MA2B to look like. All it needs is a detachable silencer and they've got it. If I were Bungie, I would keep the old MA5 and name this new weapon the MA2.

Advancebo
January 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
From the new post on Bungie.net

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Assault_Rifle_right2.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Assault_Rifle_left2.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/DMR_right3.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/DMR_left3.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Needle_Rifle_right.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Needle_Rifle_left.jpg

Siliconmaster
January 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Even with a quick glance, you can tell that it's still Halo-esque. The AR looks familiar enough, the BR/new one-shot thing looks like what it sounds, and the needler gun looks like a combination of a carbine and a needler. Which is what it is. Haha. All in all, I like the feel, even if it is a bit different.

Warsaw
January 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, no, they really butchered the Battle Rifle. From a realism standpoint, it was perfectly fine the way it was. From a Halo standpoint, it was a really good-looking gun. Was this disgusting, SCAR-inspired brick really necessary?

EX12693
January 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah it looks horrible. But hey, doesn't this take place BEFORE all the other better looking halo games?

teh lag
January 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Well if by "before" you mean "a few weeks" then yeah I guess

Kalub
January 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Too much GOW/UT3 not enough Halo. :(

Warsaw
January 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Too much GOW/UT3 not enough Halo. :(

First thing I said when the first trailer was outed at the Spike VGAs. Welcome to the club. :saddowns:

ODX
January 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
OK, here's what bothers me most about the AR:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/992/imagekuo.jpg

1- What the hell is this? Clip are not shaped like this, this is not how Halo works, wtf.
2- Looks more like a Bizon magazine than a grip for a Halo weapon.
3- This. This bothers me most. Seriously, what the fuck? This is what makes the weapon look like it was butchered to pieces, put back together, and here lies a part that didn't quite fit back on correctly. How this looks in the FP is just flat-out ugly as shit too.
4- Why is there just a random hole here? Halo weapons are smooth, that's what gives them a unique look and feel. Adding this makes it look too like a realistic sci-fi weapon.
5- Somewhat the same reason as 4, where it takes away from that Halo style with the smoothness to the weapons.
6- Same as 4 and 5

I mean sure, it's just a picture of one weapon (yeah, the weapon Halo is most recognized for) and it is kind of subject to change (hah, not likely to happen though), but so far I'm really not liking it and the game seems to be heading more towards a realistic and generic sci-fi shooter, and away from that uniquely styled and well-executed Halo look we've known from Halo 1-3, and maybe even a bit of ODST as well.

Edit: OK so I'm a fucking idiot and can't get shot tags workin'. Help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Edit2: Thanks Lag.

BobtheGreatII
January 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I wasn't upset about anything you said. I just wish the textures looked better. Especially around the handle.

t3h m00kz
January 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
halo reach = ut3/gears/cod/crysis ripoff needs 2 be moar liek halo 1

halo 1 = aliens/ringworld ripoff hth~

What surprises me is the amount of realismfags here complaining about model detail and everything needing to be hi-def, and Halo decides to go for that and everyone sees a problem with it.

Just be glad it's not Halo 3.5, aka THE SAME FUCKING GAME WITH A FACELIFT, much like Halo 3 was to Halo 2, the result being a bland, stale game that was exactly the same as the last one.

Sever
January 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM
“Personally, I’ve found that I always like to have a DMR in my back pocket in the way that I would have kept around the pistol in Halo: Combat Evolved,” Josh says.

Heh, H:CE Pistol as your secondary, like anyone ever did/does that.

Advancebo
January 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Well if by "before" you mean "a few weeks" then yeah I guess

More like a day before Halo 1.

Kornman00
January 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Just be glad it's not Halo 3.5, aka THE SAME FUCKING GAME WITH A FACELIFT, much like Halo 3 was to Halo 2, the result being a bland, stale game that was exactly the same as the last one.
Um, far from it. I don't recall Halo 2 ever being released with Forge, Saved films, screen shots, the level of depth seen in multiplayer variants, and especially networkable campaigns.

Same game...year, right.

The AR...basically looks like an AR but without the smooth shell. Also, where the ammo counter is looks to be a modular attachment point, hence its rather detached look. Maybe this AR is a different model? I think Bungie posted the weapon profiles, will have to check out the explicit model number compared to Halo 1/3. It would be wise of Bungie to give it a different ending alphacode due to the really different look.

The DMR isn't the BR...plain and simple. Obviously they're based off one another (however, who knows which came which since Cole Protocol had the BR in it...). The comparison of the DMR to the BR is like trying to compare the M249 to the M240. Yes, they both look closely alike, but one has a longer barrel, different fire rate, and larger caliber (etc).

What I'm starting to wonder...is if they're going the ODST route again with dual wielding? No one has come out and said it, nor has there been any pictures to really confirm it.

Rob Oplawar
January 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I think the DMR is pretty ugly, but otherwise I do like the increased level of detail on it (and the AR). It will probably end up being my favorite gun because of how it plays.

Interesting question, KM. I for one think duel wielding should be in Reach, because I've felt since Halo 2 that it added a great level of depth to the weapon system. I also liked the equipment system in Halo 3, and my first reaction is to be disappointed that it's changing in Reach, but upon further thought, this may be an improvement. The key for me is how it will work in multiplayer.

Hotrod
January 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
The AR...basically looks like an AR but without the smooth shell. Also, where the ammo counter is looks to be a modular attachment point, hence its rather detached look. Maybe this AR is a different model? I think Bungie posted the weapon profiles, will have to check out the explicit model number compared to Halo 1/3. It would be wise of Bungie to give it a different ending alphacode due to the really different look.
The Assault Rifle is the MA37, and is supposed to feel the most like the original AR from Halo 1.

Source :
http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/00.00.00.00.09/7532.kat_2D00_profile_2D00_hres.png

Disaster
January 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I seriously hope they go back to a singular color for the Spartans. This rainbow thing just isn't working for me.

thehoodedsmack
January 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Kat's character raises a really obvious question: if technology allows for fully-functioning prosthetic limb replacement, why spend time and money raising child-soldiers, when you could just implant smart AIs in robot bodies?

Siliconmaster
January 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Kat's character raises a really obvious question: if technology allows for fully-functioning prosthetic limb replacement, why spend time and money raising child-soldiers, when you could just implant smart AIs in robot bodies?

Just because they can make good prostheses doesn't mean they have the capability to make a full robot. Sure, it might be a small plot hole, but you can also look at it this way: if they could have, they would have. Also, fully intelligent AIs are references as being extremely expensive in the books. I'm rereading The Fall of Reach to try to refresh my memory on the history.

Choking Victim
January 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Really? This is where the game about space aliens with a religion centering around multiple ringworlds/superweapons loses credibility for you?

Advancebo
January 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
-snip-

Warsaw
January 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
halo 1 = aliens/ringworld ripoff hth~

What surprises me is the amount of realismfags here complaining about model detail and everything needing to be hi-def, and Halo decides to go for that and everyone sees a problem with it.

wat. I like the new AR. It's the BR that looks retarded, even from a realism/hi-def standpoint. It looks heavy as hell, it looks downright unwieldly, and the front sight should be flipped down since it has a scope anyways.

I also can't understand why Bungie is making the AR into an SMG-like weapon. It has a decent barrel length, and I'm assuming it fires 7.62x51 like the MA5, so why is it a spray-n-pray gun? Hell, all the one from Halo 3 needed was a little more punch and it would have been perfect. Not an OP weapon like the BR or M6D, but a decent gun to have with you whenever you needed something to fall back on.

Higuy
January 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I seriously hope they go back to a singular color for the Spartans. This rainbow thing just isn't working for me.
I don't care much for the colors, but I would imagine the armour would be the same for all spartans. I mean like, why go through the trouble to design a suit that's custom to every spartan, when it does the same thing. It's not logical.

Warsaw
January 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Colour != function.

I'd rather single colours, or muted colours. Like olive drap, dark sage, grey, brown, dark navy blue, etc. The bright colours aren't working...and red should never be an armour colour.

Disaster
January 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I think the typical olive color the UNSC would be fitting.

t3h m00kz
January 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Um, far from it. I don't recall Halo 2 ever being released with Forge, Saved films, screen shots, the level of depth seen in multiplayer variants, and especially networkable campaigns.

Same game...year, right.

The DMR isn't the BR...plain and simple. Obviously they're based off one another (however, who knows which came which since Cole Protocol had the BR in it...). The comparison of the DMR to the BR is like trying to compare the M249 to the M240. Yes, they both look closely alike, but one has a longer barrel, different fire rate, and larger caliber (etc).

What I'm starting to wonder...is if they're going the ODST route again with dual wielding? No one has come out and said it, nor has there been any pictures to really confirm it.

Well, what I meant was in terms of competetive gameplay. Halo 2 and 3 felt nearly identical in that regard.

thehoodedsmack
January 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
To those quoted: you are not being targeted for your views or opinions. I am responding to your rebuttals.

Just because they can make good prostheses doesn't mean they have the capability to make a full robot.

Kat's whole arm is robotic, meaning it has to link to her central nervous system. It's either controlled by electrical impulses by her brain to a receiver between her body and the suit, or, less likely, connected directly to her nerves. Either way, all you need is two arms, two legs, and a smart AI could handle the rest.

Sure, it might be a small plot hole, but you can also look at it this way: if they could have, they would have.

It's not so much a plot hole, and I don't hold any ill will towards it. If the technology exists for a fully-functioning prosthetic arm, then it would be easier to re-attach a deceased individual's arm. It's been done today with hands, though I don't believe complete function usually returns to the patient.

Also, fully intelligent AIs are references as being extremely expensive in the books.

Yes, to produce a singular, unique AI. But last I checked, the process of copy and pasting wasn't all that difficult.

I'm rereading The Fall of Reach to try to refresh my memory on the history.

Find me the part where the Spartan IIIs show up. I think I missed that bit. Not to be snotty, but I'm just illustrating how a lot of this stuff is put in on more of a "cool factor", rather than in the idea of reputable science fiction.

Really? This is where the game about space aliens with a religion centering around multiple ringworlds/superweapons loses credibility for you?

Like I said before, I don't have a problem with it. I'm just a little disappointed that nobody on the editing team asked these questions. Again, "cool factor".

Warsaw
January 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
^IAWTP.

Except, when we brought up the whole reputable science fiction thing versus "because they can" earlier, we caught a ton of flak with the "it's Bungie's game hurr durr" argument...

ShadowSpartan
January 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Find me the part where the Spartan IIIs show up. I think I missed that bit. Not to be snotty, but I'm just illustrating how a lot of this stuff is put in on more of a "cool factor", rather than in the idea of reputable science fiction.
I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not, but Spartan III's were not introduced until Ghosts of Onyx. It was assumed in the book that all of them were sent on suicide missions, but that is not the case according to this page on bnet (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=NOBLETEAM). It clearly explains why there are SIII's on Reach, and that they weren't just thrown in there for a "cool factor" according to you.

Kornman00
January 29th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Again, the DMR isn't a BR. It's like trying to say the M240 and M249 are the same weapons, they're most definitely not.

You get to pick the colors of your character in MP, so why can't these characters pick their suit's colors? Noble Team isn't like the dozens of other SIIIs who are sent en masse on suicide missions because they're expendable. So it doesn't stand against reason that they would get some armor tuned to their requests or fields.

IIRC, both Carter and Cath are the only original members of Noble Team and they both have blue armor. Now this could either signify their positions (leaders; think ST where red represented Command positions) or the original color of the Noble group. It originally could have been that Noble was given its own set of colors due to its own special ops compared to the other SIIIs. The replacements all seem to have specific parts of their armor as different colors meaning that as missions wore on, parts got damaged or replaced and well, sometimes you can't find the EXACT same colors for the exact same parts. The newest is entirely black and he was also taken from the last batch of SIIIs...so it's more than likely that black armor is the default armor for them...the generic SIIIs.

While it would be logical to have a single spec for the Spartan armor both in terms of money and production values, this is the military we're talking about. Logic isn't given to too many people in the ranks. Just look at today's military (at least America): every fucking branch as it's own goddamn uniform (both dress and battle). It's all a waste.

Also, in Noble 6's performance report his gender is X'd out. However, in the comments section they clearly use an "his". Also, pretty sure that GI mag article referred to the LT as a 'him'

Advancebo
January 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I hoped there was an MA5K, since it is the main weapon of the SIII's.

Siliconmaster
January 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Also, in Noble 6's performance report his gender is X'd out. However, in the comments section they clearly use an "his". Also, pretty sure that GI mag article referred to the LT as a 'him'

They probably want to leave the character like Gordon Freeman or the MC- hollow so that we as the players can step into him/her. Even if interviews are using "him" as a gender title, I wouldn't be that surprised if Bungie allows female gamers to switch the gender in the campaign. It already looks like we can modify colors and armor a little, and gaming is slowly moving beyond the typical male population. *shrug*

Kornman00
January 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I was figuring too with the LT not making a peep and not addressing by him/her/actual name in the trailer. Especially since Carter (CDR) totally out ranks an LT.

Another interesting thing: MOSes. In the Eval reports (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=NOBLETEAM) under Emile (a Warrant Officer) they say "Good thing we’re ARMY" (Army based elements have been referenced in passing in the books) after making a reference to a Navy regulation. Emile and Kat are both 18-series (in the American Army, this is the Special Force's MOS number series). If we use the American MOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Army_careers#Special_Forces_ Branch_.28SF.29) metric, then they would be a Weapons and Communication (respectively) Spartan.

However, Kat's rank is that of the Navy, so the MOSes are more than likely combined to all military branches. WOs, as of today, still exist in the Army and Navy (the AF stopped giving out the rank back in the 70s IIRC).

This leads me to wonder: Are SIIIs possibly now taken (as they're not taken from childhood) from any military branch? The Eval report was done by a COL (Colonel, an O6) which is only an Army rank, so it may mean the SIIIs, or at least the Noble team are lead by an Army element.

Just something to look at...when we're not complaining about this alpha footage :P

sevlag
January 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I hoped there was an MA5K, since it is the main weapon of the SIII's.
^this a Bungie made MA5K

Good_Apollo
January 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
^this a Bungie made MA5KShit if they just called the new 'AR' the MA5k I'd be completely satisfied, instead suddenly trying to make us believe that the Spartans themselves would be using a rifle models behind while somehow lowly Marines are using the latest only a day or so later.

Kornman00
January 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Just because it's a different model doesn't mean it's "behind". That and the PoA was just in orbit. Can't recall for how long, but they could have got the issue from elsewhere.

Needless to say, for everything we claim "heresy!" to, they can easily explain off as it is after all, their game.

Siliconmaster
January 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I just finished the book- I forgot that most of the battle is actually described in First Strike, after the MC gets back to Reach (yay time distortion). However, of the PoA I can say that it's en route to the ONI mission to kidnap a prophet when Reach is attacked. It returns to orbit in time to launch a two-pronged assault with the Spartans on board. The MC, Linda, and James breach the orbital dock to erase some info on Earth's whereabouts, where they meet Johnson and his team. All of them then return to the Autumn, which escapes to Halo. In the process all the Autumn's uber-ONI-gear is destroyed, leading to its pitiful defense and subsequent crash on Alpha Halo's surface.

All the other Spartans on the Autumn head to the surface, where First Strike picks up later. If any events from the books are to be seen in Halo: Reach, it would probably be that ground assault, or maybe some transmissions from orbit. The Autumn itself was never really involved.

Good_Apollo
January 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Just because it's a different model doesn't mean it's "behind". That and the PoA was just in orbit. Can't recall for how long, but they could have got the issue from elsewhere.

Needless to say, for everything we claim "heresy!" to, they can easily explain off as it is after all, their game.Whatever, you'll eat anything. And I'm sure it has nothing to do with you being so close to Bungie. :realsmug:

Advancebo
January 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I like the looks of this tuning fork:
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Tuning_Fork_left.jpg

Elite: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Elite_walk-00.jpg
Falcon: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Falcon_02.jpg
Marine: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Trooper_right.jpg
Sniper Rifle: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Sniper_Rifle_right.jpg
Skirmishers: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Skirmisher_right2.jpg
Plasma Pistol: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Plasma_Pistol_left2.jpg
Gwunt: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Grunt_right.jpg

And a bunch of other renders on the Bungie.net Reach Project page.

Jean-Luc
January 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/ReachCampaign_m10_firstperson.jpg

What is with the crosshairs being so off-center?
Not going to lie, the graphics in this screen look like shit, especially the shaders. Every material looks exactly the same but with different diffuse maps. For shame Bungie :(

Kornman00
January 29th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Jean, that was alpha material, from last November :nsmug:

Whatever, you'll eat anything. And I'm sure it has nothing to do with you being so close to Bungie. :realsmug:
No Bungie propagandist here :tinfoil:

:saggy:

Delta4907
January 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Weekly Update covers a lot of questions (Such as the cross air bug): http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_012910
They also gave a bunch of preview sounds of weapons:
AR (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Assault_Rifle.mp3)
DMR (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/DMR.mp3)
Sniper Rifle (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Sniper_Rifle.mp3)
Frag (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/FRAG.mp3)
Plasma (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Plasma_Grenade.mp3)
Mystery (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Mystery.mp3)

Advancebo
January 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Cut
Print
Tagged

The mystery weapon sounds like its being charged, then launches a bunch of little projectiles, then those projectiles explode.
Gravity rifle?

Siliconmaster
January 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I like the looks of this tuning fork:
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Tuning_Fork_left.jpg

Elite: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Elite_walk-00.jpg
Falcon: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Falcon_02.jpg
Marine: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Trooper_right.jpg
Sniper Rifle: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Sniper_Rifle_right.jpg
Skirmishers: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Skirmisher_right2.jpg
Plasma Pistol: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Plasma_Pistol_left2.jpg
Gwunt: http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Grunt_right.jpg

I really like those renders. The grunt is a little funky, but as always I'm sure we'll see multiple variants in the game. The marine does look a little generic-sci-fi, but then I saw the green eye-piece and I was brought right back to the Halo 1 days. Therefore I approve.

And <3 the tuning fork.

Delta4907
January 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Heh, I played all the sounds together and it sounds like a multiplayer game.

sdavis117
January 29th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Myth: Sketch called the Falcon, the “Warthog of the Skies.” Does that mean we’re going to get to pilot it in campaign and multiplayer?

Truth: Yup.

Kornman00
January 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Fuck, that Marine makes me want to play Halo Wars :ohdear:

Update also confirmed they're Army...yet some use Navy ranks >.>

EDIT: the DMR and SR sounds remind of me of the days spent on firing ranges

Advancebo
January 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Got them frag explosion sounds.
http://www.xfire.com/video/201c06/

Rob Oplawar
January 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The Falcon is fucking sexy. I love it.
I love the classic spirit dropship, but I have to say, the height-map on the front of the forks looks fucking awful. They did that a lot in Halo 3, and it looks good from a distance, but as soon as you get anywhere near it you see bumpy pixels. Wtf. I'd rather it be flat than look like somebody scaled up an image in photoshop and then applied a bevel style to it. You guys know what I'm talking about.
Just critiquing where I see things to critique.

BobtheGreatII
January 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
God damn you guys need to chill out. They already said the textures, shaders, models, and so forth are still being worked on. It was an old build. Everyone chill out for a while.

Heathen
January 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I think its safe to say we have 3 frags and 3 plasmas. They say they cut spikes and fire.

Kornman00
January 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't got back to ye ol' 4x of each grenade of Halo 1

Siliconmaster
January 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, I went back to the very first Halo 3 screenshots to compare them to the final game. Everyone remember the classic shot of Valhalla and the mongoose, and the epic mountains in the background?

http://www.bungie.net/images/games/halo3/screenshots/H3_MPAlpha_ValhallaGoose.jpg

Now, anyone remember the texturing on the structure to the upper right? :downs:

Same generation of screenshots, people. Give them some slack.

In case anyone wants a comparison (warning, large image): http://www.officialhalo3cheats.com/maps/Valhalla/Halo-3-Valhalla-env-02.jpg

Rob Oplawar
January 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Same generation of screenshots, people. Give them some slack.

Just sayin!

Come on, I live in Modacity. I crit where I see things to crit. It's what we do here. It's not as though I have any influence on Bungie, but if I did and they showed me a beta build that didn't look as good as it should, I wouldn't say "looks awesome for a beta build!" I would say "This and this and this could be better."

Siliconmaster
January 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Just sayin!

Come on, I live in Modacity. I crit where I see things to crit. It's what we do here. It's not as though I have any influence on Bungie, but if I did and they showed me a beta build that didn't look as good as it should, I wouldn't say "looks awesome for a beta build!" I would say "This and this and this could be better."

Haha. No worries- critique away. But it would be good to remember that things will probably (and hopefully) change greatly by the time we see them in game. :)

Heathen
January 30th, 2010, 12:44 AM
well when they show the sound clips, and this isn't very good evidence, but they only show 3.

t3h m00kz
January 30th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Weekly Update covers a lot of questions (Such as the cross air bug): http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_012910
They also gave a bunch of preview sounds of weapons:
AR (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Assault_Rifle.mp3)
DMR (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/DMR.mp3)
Sniper Rifle (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Sniper_Rifle.mp3)
Frag (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/FRAG.mp3)
Plasma (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Plasma_Grenade.mp3)
Mystery (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/reach/audio/Mystery.mp3)

DMR is gonna pwn the shit out of the BR. Single shot > Burst fire spam.

Kornman00
January 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Plus add the fact that the field of fire expands the faster you shoot, all these spray-n-pray ass hats will be out of a job

Lateksi
January 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Loving the gun sounds. AR's far better than H3's... toy gun sound.

Teltaur
January 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
So, might as well bring up another point;

Bungie confirmed in their last update that most Human weapons (excluding the Rocket Launcher and other obvious ones) are now going to be hitscan, while Covenant weapons will stay the same. That means no more leading your shots with an AR, BR, whatever. Do you think it's an improvement or a bad decision on Bungie's part?

Lateksi
January 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think it's a good thing. In Halo 3 I've had trouble registering the shots if I've had to lead the shits when there's people with bad connections. Hitscan also makes the gameplay more straightforward so you'll focus on the objectives and you won't have to think about your every shot.

Heathen
January 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I think it's a good thing. In Halo 3 I've had trouble registering the shots if I've had to lead the shits when there's people with bad connections. Hitscan also makes the gameplay more straightforward so you'll focus on the objectives and you won't have to think about your every shot.

This.

Warsaw
January 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I think it's the wrong way to go, but it won't detract from gameplay that much. Not worth crying over.

Also, for you people complaining that the new "Marines" look generic sci-fi...well, they aren't Marines. They are Army. You'll see Marines fighting alongside them.

Judging by those sounds, I know which gun I am going to be whoring. That sniper rifle just sounds so badass. :-3

Lateksi
January 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
That sniper rifle just sounds so badass. :-3

I know, like the first time I shot AWP in CSS (it's only ok now). Too bad you can't shoot limbs off or blow off the whole player in Halo :smith:

Disaster
January 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I know, like the first time I shot AWP in CSS (it's only ok now). Too bad you can't shoot limbs off or blow off the whole player in Halo :smith:
They honestly need to add gore in Reach.

Pooky
January 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't got back to ye ol' 4x of each grenade of Halo 1

Cause grenade spam in multiplayer is annoying as shit?

I always thought it should have been 4x each in campaign and 2x in MP.

Disaster
January 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I think they should slow down the grenade throw a bit and make it so you can't throw them quite as far.

Pooky
January 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM
They did that and everyone hated it, it was called Halo 2.

Warsaw
January 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Besides, a Spartan should be able to chuck a grenade like a baseball. As for grenade spamming in multiplayer, it's not that bad as long as they aren't infinite. Plasmas are terrible against infantry unless you can stick them, and the frags require precise timing to nab a vehicle. The only people who bemoan grenades in my experience are those who whore vehicles...

Also, I too think they should add gore in Halo: Reach. If this is going to be their most realistic one yet, let's not skimp on the details. :realsmug:

Advancebo
January 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM
The flood has gore.

Good_Apollo
January 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Cause grenade spam in multiplayer is annoying as shit?

I always thought it should have been 4x each in campaign and 2x in MP.I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you but I don't think 4 is that bad. Grenades were a fundamental part of Halo Multiplayer, using them+your guns+WELL TIMED melees were the triad of perfection. Bungie forgot about this for Halo 2 and 3. Hopefully they bring it back for Reach, though I don't hold much hope for it anyway.

Warsaw
January 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM
It's the melee lunge. As long as that remains in Halo, the triad is reduced to a duo of either spray+grenade or spray+melee.

Kornman00
January 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I wonder if there is a reason we haven't seen 4 (the LT's a no brainer) of the 6 Spartan's faces...maybe Jorge, Emile and whats-his-face (heh) will be the characters used when playing co-op

Or not. Time will tell

Pooky
January 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
The only people who bemoan grenades in my experience are those who whore vehicles...

Never played much Chill Out or Rat Race, did you?

t3h m00kz
January 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM
4 nades weren't too bad in small maps if there weren't too many players. Once you get more than 3v3 in those maps I just want to choke people.

Also I think hitscan is the way to go. Leading is bullshit. Well placed shots with the DMR's single-shot hitscan are going to be extremely satisfying.

Warsaw
January 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Never played much Chill Out or Rat Race, did you?

On the contrary. I dominated on those maps.You just need to know when to run and when to stand. :-3

Delta4907
January 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I wonder if there is a reason we haven't seen 4 (the LT's a no brainer) of the 6 Spartan's faces...maybe Jorge, Emile and whats-his-face (heh) will be the characters used when playing co-op

Or not. Time will tell

I believe in one of the magizines they stated your customized spartan will be the same throughout multiplayer, singleplayer, and co-op. If firefight is in the game it will probably be the same.

Kornman00
January 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Hope we get to see the next iteration of firefight. I'm sure Bungie will want this last Halo to have it too after how popular it turned out to be (and even then it was a rather simple game mode, so much to expand on). Plus with the new AI models...mmmmmm, firefight.

Dwood
January 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
After skimming over every other page... after page 50 or so, I can say that I really dig the new style/reversion... The game is going to be more fun to me if they manage to bring back that feel of hopelessness that the first Halo game had. The only style I can say that I don't really like for sure is that of the Grunts.

The shape on the pack just sucks... but that horse was probably beaten to death already.

Hotrod
January 30th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I believe in one of the magizines they stated your customized spartan will be the same throughout multiplayer, singleplayer, and co-op. If firefight is in the game it will probably be the same.
This was also said in the latest Gameinformer podcast.

Teltaur
January 31st, 2010, 12:16 AM

So, would that mean the Elite wouldn't be usable for Multiplayer? Or would it have to put a placeholder Lone Wolf for Campaign and let you use an Elite on non-canon modes?

Warsaw
January 31st, 2010, 01:25 AM
After skimming over every other page... after page 50 or so, I can say that I really dig the new style/reversion... The game is going to be more fun to me if they manage to bring back that feel of hopelessness that the first Halo game had. The only style I can say that I don't really like for sure is that of the Grunts.

The shape on the pack just sucks... but that horse was probably beaten to death already.

That's just one of the new Grunt variants.

Heathen
January 31st, 2010, 02:34 AM
yeah, why does EVERY other class have variants of the armor itself except the grunt?

Now it does :iamafag:

Hotrod
January 31st, 2010, 08:50 AM
So, would that mean the Elite wouldn't be usable for Multiplayer? Or would it have to put a placeholder Lone Wolf for Campaign and let you use an Elite on non-canon modes?
They'll probably make it so your Spartan character (even if it isn't the one chosen for Multiplayer) is the one that's used in Single Player. That's what seems like it would make sense to me anyway.

Spartan094
January 31st, 2010, 09:21 AM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Elite_walk-00.jpg
Is it just me or does that elite remind me of megatron from transformers in a way? Call me stuiped if you will but it does to me.

Also why does the AR remind me Mass Effect's ar in a way...

Also I miss h1's grunts, they were funny :(

Lateksi
January 31st, 2010, 11:13 AM
LOL I thought it looked like a movie transformer too! It's like they've michaelbayfied the characters. But in a good way.

sevlag
January 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Elite_walk-00.jpg

the spade helmet returns >:U

Roostervier
January 31st, 2010, 01:29 PM
that looks fucking stupid

Hotrod
January 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM
That looks fucking awesome!

t3h m00kz
January 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM
That looks fucking awesome!

BobtheGreatII
January 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM
I like it...

kid908
January 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM
I'm with rooster on this one. It looks stupid.

Rob Oplawar
January 31st, 2010, 08:59 PM
I like the teal.
Seriously, I always liked the big ornate elite helmets. It seems fitting for their culture.

Heathen
January 31st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Call me stuiped if you will

lol

also, I disagree, I like it.

Advancebo
February 1st, 2010, 01:11 AM
Megatron in my Halo? Awesome.

Bloodraver
February 1st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Now only if the elite could turn into a tank or jet

BobtheGreatII
February 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM
Ok, joke is losing it's momentum a day later.

Bloodraver
February 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM
sry im kinda of slow with such things

Heathen
February 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM
Ok, joke is losing it's momentum a day later.

its a pattern around here.

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/images/smilies/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

=sw=warlord
February 2nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
I notice there has been little to no mention of brutes, hunters or drones.
I seriously hope the hunters are still in as their possibly the only covenant enemy that's made me think "shit gotta get away now" on legendary on all 3 games.

Kornman00
February 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hunters should be a no brainer

Drones...I got a feeling won't be there...maybe. Fucking buggers.

Brutes have been confirmed (IIRC) as to not be in this fight. Which makes me wonder...will we still have gravity hammers and Grifball :saddowns:?

Delta4907
February 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
I don't think they confirmed or denied Brutes. I'd rather fight elites than brutes on the infantry scale, but I still like defeating the hammer chieftains more than I did zealots, but that might change.

Rob Oplawar
February 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
^This. I liked Halo 2, where there were both. I felt it mixed up the combat- they do have different types and classes of enemies, but elites/brutes are always the primary enemy, and having to take into account what type of leadership a certain encounter has adds, in my mind, a nice level of depth to the strategy.

=sw=warlord
February 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hunters should be a no brainer

Drones...I got a feeling won't be there...maybe. Fucking buggers.

Brutes have been confirmed (IIRC) as to not be in this fight. Which makes me wonder...will we still have gravity hammers and Grifball :saddowns:?
Should but then again, Elites in ODST should have been a no brainer but look what happened..
Also am i the only one who got tired off the whole "oh i shot it with plasma and the armour somehow disappeared" deal?

Siliconmaster
February 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Should but then again, Elites in ODST should have been a no brainer but look what happened..

How so? It makes sense that the prophets would have sent down their more trustworthy troops to search for the portal. Plus, they did mention the civil war.

=sw=warlord
February 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
How so? It makes sense that the prophets would have sent down their more trustworthy troops to search for the portal. Plus, they did mention the civil war.
Considering that ODST took place before the prothet of truth even went looking for the portal please explain to be how a entire city if not country infested with elites suddenly had only 4 dead elites and with brutes in charge of everything.
The ship that jumped was the same one shown in halo 2.
Also, i would consider the elites more trust worthy, the prothets didn't even have a decent reason to demote the elites untill regret died.

Siliconmaster
February 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Considering that ODST took place before the prothet of truth even went looking for the portal please explain to be how a entire city if not country infested with elites suddenly had only 4 dead elites and with brutes in charge of everything.
The ship that jumped was the same one shown in halo 2.
Also, i would consider the elites more trust worthy, the prothets didn't even have a decent reason to demote the elites untill regret died.

Oh right. I forgot there were Elites in the Halo 2 New Mombasa levels. :downs: The politics themselves are a little hazy- I have a feeling Truth had been meaning to get rid of the Elites for a while, but we have no way to be sure. So yeah- you definitely have a point, but I accept the way Bungie made ODST.

Kornman00
February 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Well the Hunters didn't have a clash with another major covie subgroup, so that's why I say they should be a no brainer

'cause they have no brains :downs:

=sw=warlord
February 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Well the Hunters didn't have a clash with another major covie subgroup, so that's why I say they should be a no brainer

'cause they have no brains :downs:
Jackal+footprint.

Siliconmaster
February 2nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Jackal+footprint.

Hahaha. Splat.

Bloodraver
February 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
o and dont forget that in halo 2 a few hunters helped the elites and went up against the brutes, jackals, and grunts

teh lag
February 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
That's beside the point though... the point is that they're a core part of Halo's enemy set and, unlike the Elites, don't seem to have much of a shoe-in replacement (Brutes), except the "Drinol" that were cut from H2 - but I don't see Bungie pulling a new never-before-seen enemy out of their ass for the sole purpose of replacing Hunters.

Sever
February 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
o and dont forget that in halo 2 a few hunters helped the elites and went up against the brutes, jackals, and gruntsYou mean that in Halo 3 a few Hunters went against the Elites. Know your lore - Hunters are loyal to Elites. I hate how they fucked that up in H3, even though it makes for some pretty good battles, and allows Scarabs to still remain as active enemies.

Advancebo
February 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
You mean that in Halo 3 a few Hunters went against the Elites. Know your lore - Hunters are loyal to Elites. I hate how they fucked that up in H3, even though it makes for some pretty good battles, and allows Scarabs to still remain as active enemies.

The Hunters in Halo 2 that helped you were part of the separatists. Some Hunters and Grunts went to the separatists, the rest stayed with the Covenant.

ICEE
February 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
I think I'd like to see elites and brutes working together (like how CMT did it). For me, it's no question which enemy is harder to kill. Its just so easy to get around behind a brute and take him out. The elites in halo 3 (when betrayed) were really difficult to kill, and in halo 2 their one hit kill melee made them lethal up close, wheras brutes could easily be tricked into flinging themselves off cliffs. I think it would be best to have elites be more common, and brutes show up every now and then operating artillery, or manning a turret or fuel rod cannon. Gravity hammer brutes are pointlessly easy, all you have to do is jump, spin 180 degrees, press the B button and the lunge takes care of the rest. Sword elites should remain the "ohshitihavetofightthisguy" enemy, and should be buffed so that you cant stick them.

Sever
February 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
The Hunters in Halo 2 that helped you were part of the separatists. Some Hunters and Grunts went to the separatists, the rest stayed with the Covenant.Bullshit.

The Hunters with the separatists are the ones who stayed, whereas the ones with the Loyalists are the traitors, and only chose to side with the Brutes and Prophets out of fear for their homeworld. With the fall of the Covenant, the all of the Hunters would without a doubt realign with the Elites.

Again, know your lore.

Heathen
February 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Bungie made the canon, therefore, anything Bungie does in the story is canon.

I dont see how people think it can break canon.

thehoodedsmack
February 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Bungie is not an author. The company is not a single entity, and did not personally write anything. Writers were hired to develop the canon, and other writers subsequently payed little regard to the established canon and altered it to the point of discrepancy.

It's all fine and good to say "it's theirs, they can do what they want with it", but by adopting that opinion, you must also recognize and submit to the fact that the story is poorly managed, and poorly written.

So, unless there's any other concise, double-sided view on the matter, I think that should put to rest the argument of "Bungie can do what they want".

teh lag
February 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
bungie makes canon they cant break canon

then canon is badly written

but its bungie they can do whatever they want

but then the canon is bad

but how can it be bad, its their choice

but bungie is going against what they already did

but bungie makes canon they cant break canon

round and round the discussion goes

when will it stop? nobody knows!!

Kornman00
February 2nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Next person(s) to bitch about canon gets be quietted. This thread has had enough pro/anti canon wars. The game is coming; deal with it.

Heathen
February 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Oh snap, I didn't realize that argument was already made since they were still whining about broken canon. My bad.

t3h m00kz
February 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Next person(s) to bitch about canon gets be quietted. This thread has had enough pro/anti canon wars. The game is coming; deal with it.

This. Bitching isn't going to change anything about the game.

FRain
February 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
I personally thought, that even though they tried to make the brutes not-damage sponges. they still are damage sponges.

sevlag
February 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
I personally thought, that even though they tried to make the elites not-damage sponges. they still are damage sponges.
you're thinking of the brutes in halo 2 if you didn't headshoot dem

I'd presonally would love to see a drinol in REACH,

As of now, it has been stated that the Halo Theme (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_Theme) will not appear in the game, but there may be some foreshadowing of Halo themes

kinda saddening to me

Donut
February 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
oh good. elites are back. thanks bungie for doing something that you should have fucking done in ODST.

brutes suck. they were a cool idea in halo 2, albeit damage sponges, but once they got shields in halo 3 they became damage sponges with obnoxious recharging shields. i want to see elites with their shields hanging back, grunts charging forward, and brutes being their damage sponge selves. this energy armor on brutes is bullshit. theyre trying to make brutes into the new elite and its just not working.

i played halo 1 and 2's campaign through many times. it never got old. how many times have i played halo 3 or odst through? 2. brutes gtfo

oh and fix the fucking jackal snipers. i had a human sniper rifle in odst, and i shot a jackal sniper in the head 3 times. i hit the little helmet thing all 3 times. it didnt kill him. that kind of this is not good.

ICEE
February 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
you're thinking of the brutes in halo 2 if you didn't headshoot dem

Halo 3 brutes were no less bullet sponges than halo 2s, aside from having lower health. They lacked the elite's bad ass dodging moves
(side rolling and stuff)

Heathen
February 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'd presonally would love to see a drinol in REACH,

cmiir, but wasn't the drinol a flood enemy?

The flood shouldn't be in Reach.

Bloodraver
February 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
i found that after Halo 2 the flood were boring because in H3 they didnt live up to there name IMO

ICEE
February 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
after halo 2 you could rip them to pieces with your bare hands and it really just wasn't the same experience. People bitch about halo1 and 2 flood because they were ssssoooooOOOoo much harder, but the only real difference was that melee didnt 1hitkill them.

Heathen
February 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
why are you guys all saying "after halo 2"?

They weren't in Halo ODST and the only other halo game after 2 was 3. Just say "they sucked in Halo 3"

Bloodraver
February 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
after halo 2 you could rip them to pieces with your bare hands and it really just wasn't the same experience. People bitch about halo1 and 2 flood because they were ssssoooooOOOoo much harder, but the only real difference was that melee didnt 1hitkill them.

yea and what made them suck even worse, in halo3, you could also one shot kill them which meant that on legendary i would have half of the group dead with just a few BR burst and a grenade before they got to me (my point is they just wernt much of a challenge to me just a bunch of dumb zombies you think would be smarter when they had the Gravemind)

Hotrod
February 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Agreed about the flood. The only flood forms that really lived up to their name were the pure forms (besides the stalkers) and the Elite Combat Forms. There was also a great lack of Carrier Forms. In fact, I can barely recall even having seen them in Halo 3.

sevlag
February 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM
cmiir, but wasn't the drinol a flood enemy?

The flood shouldn't be in Reach.

The Drinol are Covenant (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Covenant) beasts that did not make it into Halo Combat Evolved (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_Combat_Evolved), Halo 2 (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_2), or Halo 3 (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_3), and it is unknown if they will be seen in future products of the Halo universe (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_universe).

small blurb

Heathen
February 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well damn.

sevlag
February 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Well damn.
yeah they were supposed to be anti-vehicular or used by the covenant to smash stuff...probably an early idea for hunters or whatnot. but it would be nice to see how they handled combat

offtopic:

jsut learned brutes were originally to have metal shields in halo 3...who knew?

SilentChaos
February 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
The Drinol kind of sounds like the Thrasher from Halo Wars. That huge beast that would run around ramming its head against vehicles and buildings.

Advancebo
February 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
There was also a great lack of Carrier Forms. In fact, I can barely recall even having seen them in Halo 3.

There were only like 1 or 2 on Cortana, and like 4 near the end of Halo.

TVTyrant
February 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Update also confirmed they're Army.

Not to take this out of context, but doesn't that explain the Assault Rifle discrepancy? Both branches don't necessarily issue the same weapons all the time. For example, in Vietnam the US Marines hung onto the M14 for quite a while longer than the army did. Perhaps the Navy weapons are the same but of a different model? I'd imagine that the army would have slightly different specifications than the navy.

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I want the Flood Juggernaut.

Bloodraver
February 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I want the Flood Juggernaut.

the one off of halo 2?

FRain
February 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM
No, the one that you fought in Halo 3: ODST.

:downs:

Bloodraver
February 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM
The halo 2 Juggernaut (though interesting to face) would be about imposible to beat on legendary what the information below says

Halopedia-The Juggernaut has two extremely large tentacles that can kill the player with only one hit. Some have spikes on their tentacles. They also can jump much higher and further than the regular Combat Forms can. "Modders" and Halo 2 Vista users can fight against the Juggernaut on the level High Charity, by switching them to spawn in place of another character's existing spawn point.

They often jump extremely high in the air at the player when noticed, sometimes landing on players, instantly killing them. The Juggernaut will also sometimes forget the player is there, and just stand still for a few moments. It is not advised that you find cover, as the Juggernaut will usually hit it out of the way, sending the object an extreme distance. One of the best tactics is to run to the Pelican and get inside of it, since the Juggernauts are too tall to follow you in, and will hover around the open door until you come out.

The Juggernaut appears to be very tough, resisting almost anything and making its death even harder to achieve, possibly making it go berserk. Hopefully, if you have picked up the Shotgun and/or Rocket Launcher you can make things easier. If not, you will have to rely on sticking them and whatever weapons you have.

The Juggernauts have a defensive position; stooping and moving their whip-like appendages in front of their body in an X formation. It is unknown why such a powerful creature needs such a stance. It could possibly be to counter the sword or merely for looks. It may also be a form of a 'taunt' to lure players in. Note, that it looks like the defensive position of Hunters, although it is confirmed that the Juggernauts are not transformed from Hunters, as Hunters are immune to the Flood due to lacking a single central nervous system.

When running low on health, some occurrences have happened where the Juggernaut goes berserk by waving its tentacles around wildly, then striking at the player with more speed.- Halopedia

though interesting it would be just to hard to kill + there was never any Flood activity reported on Reach so its logical that the flood wont be in the game

Sry about the long worthless post (just trying to get my point across)

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I've fought the juggernaut, and.... damn its difficult to kill on legendary, I've killed two, one after the other though.

t3h m00kz
February 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM
The Juggernaut is the baddest mother fucker in the world.

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/113538-juggernaut.jpg

Con
February 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The halo 2 Juggernaut (though interesting to face) would be about imposible to beat on legendary what the information below says

Halopedia-The Juggernaut has two extremely large tentacles that can kill the player with only one hit. Some have spikes on their tentacles. They also can jump much higher and further than the regular Combat Forms can. "Modders" and Halo 2 Vista users can fight against the Juggernaut on the level High Charity, by switching them to spawn in place of another character's existing spawn point.

They often jump extremely high in the air at the player when noticed, sometimes landing on players, instantly killing them. The Juggernaut will also sometimes forget the player is there, and just stand still for a few moments. It is not advised that you find cover, as the Juggernaut will usually hit it out of the way, sending the object an extreme distance. One of the best tactics is to run to the Pelican and get inside of it, since the Juggernauts are too tall to follow you in, and will hover around the open door until you come out.

The Juggernaut appears to be very tough, resisting almost anything and making its death even harder to achieve, possibly making it go berserk. Hopefully, if you have picked up the Shotgun and/or Rocket Launcher you can make things easier. If not, you will have to rely on sticking them and whatever weapons you have.

The Juggernauts have a defensive position; stooping and moving their whip-like appendages in front of their body in an X formation. It is unknown why such a powerful creature needs such a stance. It could possibly be to counter the sword or merely for looks. It may also be a form of a 'taunt' to lure players in. Note, that it looks like the defensive position of Hunters, although it is confirmed that the Juggernauts are not transformed from Hunters, as Hunters are immune to the Flood due to lacking a single central nervous system.

When running low on health, some occurrences have happened where the Juggernaut goes berserk by waving its tentacles around wildly, then striking at the player with more speed.- Halopedia

though interesting it would be just to hard to kill + there was never any Flood activity reported on Reach so its logical that the flood wont be in the game

Sry about the long worthless post (just trying to get my point across)
Whoever wrote that article is just spewing garbage conjecture like it's srs business.

Bloodraver
February 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Whoever wrote that article is just spewing garbage conjecture like it's srs business.

some of it is, however the most of it is true having watched multiple vids myself so i can safely assure you that one hit equals death on legendary also them landing on you is instant death

CodeBrain
February 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Um

The entire article is fucking horseshit

I took a original, non-modded 07a_highcharity (Gravemind) map, switched the elite shielded ai with the juggernauts (again, Gravemind, switching what AI spawns and what not) and even on legendary, their attacks do minuscule damage. I got 1 shield point deducted when they hit me. Did I forget to mention they hardly hit you at all, they miss most of the time.

Everything else (their "x-block defense", the enrage mode, and no death animations) are correct through.

=sw=warlord
February 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
some of it is, however the most of it is true having watched multiple vids myself so i can safely assure you that one hit equals death on legendary also them landing on you is instant death
you also forget to mention in order to gain access to the juggernaught you have to mod the maps and by that logic they could also edit the damage effects increasing the damage done.

Delta4907
February 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=HaloReach_X10

Though Microsoft’s X10 Expo isn’t open to the general public, we’re well aware that you don’t want to go without your own San Francisco treats. To facilitate a sense of camaraderie amongst the community, we thought it would be cool to let you get a look at some of the assets we’re putting on display this afternoon. While we’re not ready to lift the veil on our latest Halo: Reach ViDoc just yet, you should be on the lookout for it very, very soon. What we can show off is the latest and greatest Visual ID (aka the box art), a beautiful piece of concept art from the multiplayer map Powerhouse, and some brand new Halo: Reach screenshots.

Oh, and the Halo: Reach Xbox LIVE Multiplayer Beta hits on May 3rd, 2010. You can get your own invitation by picking up a copy of Halo 3: ODST. See you on the battlefield.
Boots in the Mud

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/x10/Reach-m10_evironment.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/Reach-m10_evironment.jpg)
Rain Soaked

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/x10/Reach-m10_3rdperson.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/Reach-m10_3rdperson.jpg)
Fair Fight

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/x10/Reach-m10_1stperson.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/Reach-m10_1stperson.jpg)
Closing In

Secret Identity

Even before the very first moment that Halo: Reach was revealed to the public at E3 2009, our Visual Design team has been slugging it out in the trenches, hard at work alongside Marcus and the rest of the Halo: Reach team to craft the key visual imagery that will ultimately be used to capture the spirit of Halo: Reach in one broad, but emotionally charged stroke. Below you’ll find the culmination of their work. What began as a simple, but evocative image of the planet Reach, silhouettes of Noble Team, and Covenant carriers looming overhead, has evolved into something more emblematic of the final product. With fire and lightning bolts in the sky.

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/x10/REACH_KeyArt_Horizontal_1920x1080.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/visualID/REACH_KeyArt_Horizontal_1920x1080.jpg)
Click to Huge-inate

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/x10/REACH_KeyArt_Vert_1920x1080.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/visualID/REACH_KeyArt_Vert_1920x1080.jpg)
Click to Gigantify

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/wallpapers/Reach_KeyArt_Iphone.jpg
Right Click, Save As Portable

Powerhouse

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/x10/Reach-Powerhouse_concept.jpg (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/concept_art/Reach-Powerhouse_concept.jpg)
Over Troubled Waters

“Utility and economy spurred industry amidst these isolated and unforgiving badlands, but like all infrastructure facilities on Reach, this hydroelectric site is under the purview of the UNSC war machine. All threats to the continued, predictable operation of humanity's final line of defense must be met with swift and decisive force.”

Right about now, those fortunate enough to be inside the walls at X10 should be getting a flythrough of Powerhouse courtesy of Marcus and Brian. Look for reports from the field coming soon.

You can find all the assets in this article along with the previously deployed Halo: Reach goodies in our official multimedia project page. More on the way. Stay tuned.

TVTyrant
February 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Still not quite buying the look of the AR. Looks too awkward imo.

Heathen
February 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Think of it this way, the display is an attachment, rather than built in.

Siliconmaster
February 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Woah. First of all, good looking rain- yay. Second, that wallpaper is beautiful. I like a lot of what I see in those images. Some stuff, like the background hills in "Closing In", look a little dull, but as before I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since these are still early assets. The assault rifle looks pretty damned recognizable in first person view.

FireDragon04
February 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah i liked the announcements today, great pictures and awesome to find out that the beta is on May 3rd.

New ViDoc tomorrow!

SilentChaos
February 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
That lightning bolt in the bottom corner, sprint?

Delta4907
February 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM
That's the recharge meter I believe. If you're carrying an armor ability another icon would appear above the radar.

Kornman00
February 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
goatdamn, May 3rd? I was hoping for May 19th :ugh:

Siliconmaster
February 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm happy it's earlier- it'll be during school, which means I can play with my friends. I don't have good internet back home.

Chainsy
February 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
The middle grunt in the picture fair fight on page 68 has what appears to be a gravity hammer on his back?

Teltaur
February 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Apparently, every multiplayer map in Halo Reach is pulled directly from the campaign (confirmed by both IGN and Gamespot) which would seem to make remakes pretty unlikely. Those of you hoping to see Blood Gulch, Hang 'em High, Headlong, etc. in Bungie's final Halo game might end up disappointed this fall.

Heathen
February 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Doesn't mean we wont see remakes. What if you run into a familiar box canyon?

and that grunt/hammer thing..

its a jackal behind him, no hammer.

Teltaur
February 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
But many of Halo's traditional maps don't follow any kind of reasonable campaign structure, which makes many of them unlikely (again, not definitely) to make an appearance.

Honestly, it seems very akin to how Infinity Ward approached Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer maps. Not sure if it was just bad wording on the interviewer's part, but here's what Gamespot said:

Lehto explained that all of the multiplayer maps are taken directly from the single-player campaign, but in the case of Power House, the multiplayer version takes place during the daytime whereas the single-player incarnation is a nighttime affair.

Heathen
February 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Honestly, it seems very akin to how Infinity Ward approached Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer maps. :

thats what I was t hinking

ODX
February 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Honestly, it seems very akin to how Infinity Ward approached Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer maps.They did that for Call of Duty 4's maps too, aside from the DLC maps.

Warsaw
February 11th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Liking the new screenies and the box art. Looks like it will be a solid, fun game to play.

Just move that crosshair up a few centimetres...:gonk:.

TeeKup
February 12th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I'm disturbed at the way they're taking the multiplayer maps. I want straight up multiplayer designed maps, not ones ripped from campaign. That just seems a bit lazy to me. Besides, depending on the level depends on how well the map is.

In modern shitfest 2, the map Estate is a HORRIBLE mulitplayer map in two respects. 1, a sniper can camp the back field with amazing proficiency (I.E. I had a game of 25-4 while sniping with my WA2000). 2 everyone rushes for the goddamn house. They tried to put cover in the map, but the way the stupid elevation is it's damn near suicide to run out in the open if someone has the house or the field. Horrible gameplay imo. :/

Of course I could just be bitching out my ass. When I first got Modern Warfare 2 I thought it was fun despite my previous feelings and intentions...over time I began to realize it was a horrible shitfest because no one knows how to play. People don't play to play, they play to win and will do anything to win. (I.E. Noobtube the entire enemy team from the start on Hardcore SD, If you're reading this, and you do this, go kill yourself.)

Kornman00
February 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Maybe the MP map quote was just meant for the Beta? I don't see how they wouldn't let the designers make "reincarnations" of certain past maps for Reach, unless they're saving them for DLC...

I hope DLC isn't just ALL reincarnations if that is the case.

FRain
February 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
btw:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=HaloReach_ViDoc

Lateksi
February 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Grenade launcher FTW, brute shot sucks.

t3h m00kz
February 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
youtubified

T0_jiB2hqeQ

Kornman00
February 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Some of the white board shots show stickies with brutes (ie, brute captains) on them...wonder just how much the brute's part will be played this time? Obviously the elites are the new old-guys in town, but that doesn't mean we can't see packs of brutes in certain hot spots

EDIT: In the vidoc they show models of brutes (one holding a brute hammer), so yeah, brutes are still in this new Hay-lo

BobtheGreatII
February 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm loving the animations. Looks like the game is coming together nicely.

Rob Oplawar
February 12th, 2010, 10:41 AM
brutes are still in this new Hay-lo
Downloading the viddoc now, but yay for brutes! Lol, feels odd to say that...

Kornman00
February 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Bungie is using Vicon's Blade (http://www.viconpeak.com/products/blade.html) for their mo-cap stuff.

Also, Sapien just seems to be called Halo IDE now...but now that I think of it, I think it's always had that program title internally.

=sw=warlord
February 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU more brutes....

Heathen
February 12th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Good, I love brutes.

hry
February 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Granade launcher, sprint you can kill from behind c:

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM
some of this stuff might get cut guys remember Bungie is nortorious for cutting some pretty awesome stuff from the game before its finished

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Body_Bags
^cut from halo 3, would have made the game alot grittier and showed you the cost of defending earth :|

PlasbianX
February 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Noob tubes http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Sprinting http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Tactical Knife http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Singleplayer maps reused as MP maps http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png

Call of Halo: Reach

I don't like all of the similarities to Call of Duty that I'm seeing.

Delta4907
February 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Despite that, I still think the campaign, plus forge\theater and (probably) firefight will make it better than Call of Duty. I read that the multiplayer maps are based on the single player maps, so there might be some differences, like how for Powerhouse, the mission that part is in is during night, while the mp version is during the day.

Siliconmaster
February 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
ViDoc finally finished downloading. I know we all got excited when we saw the Brutes pulling marines apart in the Halo 3 ViDoc, but a lot of the stuff they showed in this was really, really cool. I love the more epic feel, and seeing that many AI fighting at once was incredible. And the sparks! Holy shit, thousands of dynamic particles! So cool! If the feel in the final game is anywhere near as cool as it looks in that ViDoc, I'll be ecstatic.

Futzy
February 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
ViDoc finally finished downloading.
I was surprised I was able to push 3mbs, has no one found out about it yet?
About to watch it.

Good to see brutes and elites.

Siliconmaster
February 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I was surprised I was able to push 3mbs, has no one found out about it yet?
About to watch it.

Good to see brutes and elites.

Idk- our school internet is limited to 50Kb/s, so almost everything maxes it out. Where in the ViDoc are the brutes? I must have missed them.

Futzy
February 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
There's one in a maya window at some point about halfway through.

TVTyrant
February 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I like the way there bringing back deleted details, like the sprint and knife. It really seems like they're trying to put a lot of their old ideas that were essentially scrapped back into this one. Loved the DMR, and the pistol with a scope is a classic touch. Assault rifle seems interesting, since it has the 32 capacity but is supposed to spray a little more. And the AR seemed a lot better in appearance once you saw it in motion, firing upon enemies and stuff.
As far as the COD influence goes, it seems to me to be pretty minor. The only thing I noticed that had really changed was how fast things seemed to be moving in some of the scenes. Like when he tags the turret, it seems alot faster than in the older Halo games. Maybe thats just me though...

Siliconmaster
February 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
There's one in a maya window at some point about halfway through.

3:03- Engineers! At first I wondered if it was ODST, since that was being developed at the same time, but it's using the new AR. I hope they stay in the game!

Teltaur
February 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Well, if you watch at about 6:04, you can see (while carrying the Pistol) that you ONLY have the option to swap for a Plasma Rifle. That means either 1. the PR is no longer dual-wieldable, or 2. there is no dual-wielding at all.

Siliconmaster
February 12th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Well, if you watch at about 6:04, you can see (while carrying the Pistol) that you ONLY have the option to swap for a Plasma Rifle. That means either 1. the PR is no longer dual-wieldable, or 2. there is no dual-wielding at all.

Or that the epic pistol isn't dual-wieldable. :downs:

ODX
February 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM
That shotgun grenade throw was pure awesomeness, it looked like they went back to the Halo 1 style of throwing, where it actually looks like he's throwing and not just swiping his hand across the screen vertically.

<3 Bungie

Kornman00
February 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I actually think I would miss dual wielding :(

DEElekgolo
February 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5906/vlcsnap2010021216h49m58.png
Maya for animation
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9538/vlcsnap2010021216h49m47.png
3ds max for modeling.

They said in a presentation that they made a animation exporter for maya to do animations. etc etc

ICEE
February 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Well im glad to see some new animations going into the game. Though it looks like theyre re-using the halo 3 AR anims. But who cares, that rifle is ugly as hell anyways.

Kornman00
February 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah, they've been using Maya since Halo 2 IIRC

t3h m00kz
February 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Noob tubes http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Sprinting http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Tactical Knife http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Singleplayer maps reused as MP maps http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png

The noob tube does not appear to be an attachment, but rather it's own weapon. Tons of FPSes have nade launchers.
Tac knife doesn't seem to act anything like the one from MW2.
Sprinting has been in Bungie's consideration since Halo 2. Which is before COD decided to have sprint, mind you!
COD is not the only game to use SP maps as MP maps.

But let's see what other similarities there are!

Soldiers http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Guns http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Crosshairs http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Singleplayer http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
Multiplayer http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
A first person view http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png
BULLETS http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Check_yes_very_small.png

Despite the fact that the mechanics between the two series have been completely different, like Halo's excessive auto aim and crazy jumping and recharging shields, this is definitely a clone! Bungie should be ashamed!

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM
well the auto aim is to effect weapons with diffrent levels of handeling, like a pistol compared to a sniper riffle, you don't want people to be able to use a sniper in C.Q.B. as easily as a smg, that would be like a shotgun on crack. the only thing I don't like about halo is its level of linear gameplay, and timed levels, I hate timed anything.

English Mobster
February 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I had an epicgasm when I saw the new backstab.
Holy fuck. I want to do that.

Futzy
February 13th, 2010, 07:12 AM
linear gameplay, and timed levels, I hate timed anything.
Are you sure you're talking about halo and not drakes fortune?

Con
February 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
That vidoc was great. I didn't realize they'd optimized so much.

Rob Oplawar
February 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I keep forgetting that this will be running on the same hardware they built Halo 3 for. I get so used to expecting games to improve as PC hardware improves that I forget console games only upgrade their hardware once every few years. Taking that into account, I'm becoming quite impressed with the engine Bungie's put together.

Good_Apollo
February 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Despite my issues with it, and again like I already said, it looks like a good game still. I just hope it's not a case of Halo2ism where they showed us this great engine then said woops the Xbox can't handle it...

=sw=warlord
February 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
On the side of multiplayer, who here is going to laugh their ass off if there's a another promotional armour choice like in halo 3 and ODST with the recon and johnson set ups?
I can already see it now, "Do this to get [insert armour here]!!111ONE!!"

Rob Oplawar
February 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
This close to the public beta I'd say it's pretty much what you see is what you get. It would take some horrible planning and mismanagement of the project, pushing back the release date several months, to allow the final game to be significantly different than what we see here. Then again, that's what happened to Halo 2, isn't it? :-3

e: @warlord: why would that be funny/bad? I like the concept of rare armor permutations. Just so long as they don't do it as paid dlc I'm happy.

=sw=warlord
February 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
e: @warlord: why would that be funny/bad? I like the concept of rare armor permutations. Just so long as they don't do it as paid dlc I'm happy.
Im just remembering how frantic people got when Recon was only given out by bungie, hacked accounts, fake screenshots, general rage in certain playlist [not naming anyone here...KORNMAN]

Heathen
February 13th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I had an epicgasm when I saw the new backstab.
Holy fuck. I want to do that.

I just hope it doesn't get repetitive as fuck.

Also, I dont like animated assassinations, because imagine online. You could have one of those AVP assassination chains, or you could get sniped while doing an overly showy animation.

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Also, I dont like animated assassinations, because imagine online. You could have one of those AVP assassination chains, or you could get sniped while doing an overly showy animation.
Yeah, but I've gotten sniped trying to do a REGULAR assassination. Plus assassination chains are awesome and you know it.

Aside from that, this really looks like it would make a great PC release. Maybe through GameSpy and Gearbox? Always hopin...

Heathen
February 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
steam lol

Futzy
February 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM

They said if you hold down B it does that animation, so you don't have to do it.

Heathen
February 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oh. Goodie!

PlasbianX
February 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
In that case, I hope it doesn't work as the original GOW2 chain saw animations worked. If you started to cut someone, you were invincible until the animation finished until they patched it to you were vulnerable at all times.

Kornman00
February 13th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Im just remembering how frantic people got when Recon was only given out by bungie, hacked accounts, fake screenshots, general rage in certain playlist [not naming anyone here...KORNMAN]
Hey, I didn't spend 18+ hours in that playlist for the armor...I just wanted a rematch against Bungie monkies :saddowns:

Aside from that, this really looks like it would make a great PC release. Maybe through GameSpy and Gearbox? Always hopin...
Nah, they'd make it G4WL if they made a PC port. Though I think the Halo 1 online model worked really well. It'd only be nice to have the G4WL part in it for matchmaking and authenticated games (where they check for hacks and such). But I get the feeling that any future port considerations will have H2V's taste in the back of their mouths...which they have no one to blame but themselves (Microsoft) for the flop.

Dwood
February 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I think it would make more sense for them to hire gbx again to do said port. That is more likely because gbx actually did a good job porting halo 1. But then again, it is microsoft we're talking about here.

Boba
February 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I think it would make more sense for them to hire gbx again to do said port. That is more likely because gbx actually did a good job porting halo 1. But then again, it is microsoft we're talking about here.

Kornman00
February 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think a good chunk of the GBX people who worked on Halo PC broke off and started Pi Studios (whom also worked on the H2V editing kit). They're in Houston

Saggy
February 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM
In an interview with the staff from 1UP.com, via the 4 Guys 1UP Podcast (Episode 2/12/2010) (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640), Marcus Lehto and Brian Jarrard confirm that there will be no dual wielding in Halo: Reach.

David Ellis: Will there be dual wielding in Reach? There wasn't in ODST, of course there was in 2 and 3...
Marcus Lehto: There will be no dual wielding in Reach, no.

Skip to time mark 24:45 to start the Halo: Reach discussion, and then to time mark 29:39 for the part about dual wielding.
Well, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I rarely dual-wielded when playing Halo 2 or Halo 3 anyways so it doesn't really affect me.

Heathen
February 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I wont miss it.

ODX
February 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
It was a cool feature, executed well, that was definitely one of the things that set Halo apart from the other shooters. I'm sad to see it go, but happy that other features will be added and have their own spotlight now.

jngrow
February 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry, but the comparisons you made are like those made by the people who thought every FPS was a Doom or Wolfenstein clone. Except sprinting, all of those features function totally different in this game than in COD.

e: mookz beat me to it

Good_Apollo
February 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry, but the comparisons you made are like those made by the people who thought every FPS was a Doom or Wolfenstein clone. Except sprinting, all of those features function totally different in this game than in COD.

e: mookz beat me to itI thought a funnier comparison outside of this thread were all the youtube comments on Brothers In Arms saying what a crappy CoD copy.

Some people are just dumb.

:v:

TVTyrant
February 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
As I stated earlier in the thread, Bungie already was making use of Sprinting, n00b tubes, and knives before COD1 even came out. They were just all cut. And as far as the Single Player maps being used as Multi player maps, in Halo 2 and 3 your supposed to be able to identify each map with a specific portion of the game. Just sayin...

sevlag
February 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
As I stated earlier in the thread, Bungie already was making use of Sprinting, n00b tubes, and knives before COD1 even came out. They were just all cut. And as far as the Single Player maps being used as Multi player maps, in Halo 2 and 3 your supposed to be able to identify each map with a specific portion of the game. Just sayin...
^

jcap
February 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
So, there's going to be no dual wielding, and yet we're still suck with a fucking shit HUD that makes my eyes bleed. How is the designer not fired yet?

God damn, they should just take the original Halo 1 HUD and modernize it. I'm not saying it should be the exact same as the first game by any means, and I know they tried to do that currently with some elements of the Reach HUD like the shield and health bars, but the actual implementation of it SUCKS.

What I despise most about the HUD is the fucking retarded shield and health meter. Overall, I LOVED the HUD in ODST, but I HATED the way health depleted. Because of the way it goes from the sides to the center, it gives the illusion that you have more health than you really do until you get down to a tiny sliver.

Also, the radar looks beyond retarded. I understand that they are attempting to create a 3D illusion, but they did a shitty job of it. It's pretty sad that they are making such a great game, but they are doing such a shitty job with the one thing that is always in your face. That thing shouldn't have even made it past the drawing board.

Kornman00
February 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
hey jcap

you gai?

Inferno
February 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
So, there's going to be no dual wielding, and yet we're still suck with a fucking shit HUD that makes my eyes bleed. How is the designer not fired yet?

God damn, they should just take the original Halo 1 HUD and modernize it. I'm not saying it should be the exact same as the first game by any means, and I know they tried to do that currently with some elements of the Reach HUD like the shield and health bars, but the actual implementation of it SUCKS.

What I despise most about the HUD is the fucking retarded shield and health meter. Overall, I LOVED the HUD in ODST, but I HATED the way health depleted. Because of the way it goes from the sides to the center, it gives the illusion that you have more health than you really do until you get down to a tiny sliver.

Also, the radar looks beyond retarded. I understand that they are attempting to create a 3D illusion, but they did a shitty job of it. It's pretty sad that they are making such a great game, but they are doing such a shitty job with the one thing that is always in your face. That thing shouldn't have even made it past the drawing board.

Go back to bitching about vb4. You at least had a legitimate reason to be doing that.

Also. Umad?