Roostervier
February 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
hey inferno youre a massive faggot

Heathen
February 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I like the HUD.

Warsaw
February 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I think the HUD is fine, except for the position of the reticule. Move it up, pl0x. I always feel like I'm aiming down when it's that low, which results in a feeling of tunnel vision.

ODX
February 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I think the HUD is fine, except for the position of the reticule. Move it up, pl0x. I always feel like I'm aiming down when it's that low, which results in a feeling of tunnel vision.It actually makes sense to have it that way, and if they were to move it up now then all the animations would be fucked. Rather, the origins. Either you're pointing too low, or if they fix it to point at the reticule, the feel is skewed completely.

Oh, and I think the HUD is also fine except for the numbers clipping into the icons of the grenades/weapons.

TVTyrant
February 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
In this thread:
http://static.open.salon.com/files/rabblerabble1251158120.jpg

Rob Oplawar
February 15th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I like the HUD.
I like the teal.

Heathen
February 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
you caught me trying

Siliconmaster
February 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I saw it, and didn't say anything. *glares at Rob*

Warsaw
February 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
It actually makes sense to have it that way, and if they were to move it up now then all the animations would be fucked. Rather, the origins. Either you're pointing too low, or if they fix it to point at the reticule, the feel is skewed completely.

Oh, and I think the HUD is also fine except for the numbers clipping into the icons of the grenades/weapons.

Well, they could've used different animations and origins. They aren't required to reuse old material. It's a minor gripe though, and a majority of the Halo games have the setup, so it isn't worth bawing over that much.

t3h m00kz
February 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
It actually makes sense to have it that way, and if they were to move it up now then all the animations would be fucked. Rather, the origins. Either you're pointing too low, or if they fix it to point at the reticule, the feel is skewed completely.

Based on a glitch from Halo 3's theater mode, I'm willing to bet they originally animated them to be pointed to the center. They're just rendered lower to fit the position of the crosshair.

I'd say they should move the crosshair up.

Inferno
February 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Based on a glitch from Halo 3's theater mode, I'm willing to bet they originally animated them to be pointed to the center. They're just rendered lower to fit the position of the crosshair.

I'd say they should move the crosshair up.

This. It really is dumb to have the crosshair not centered.

hey inferno youre a massive faggot

K.

jcap
February 15th, 2010, 10:45 PM
They should fix their weapon placement so it points where you are shooting first.

Go back to bitching about vb4. You at least had a legitimate reason to be doing that.

Also. Umad?
Sorry that I point out design flaws and massive stupidity (much like your posting.)

jk

Kornman00
February 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Sorry that I point out design flaws and massive stupidity (much like your posting.)
I got a design flaw for you jcap:

X-mas came and went. Santa wants his fucking hat back.

Dwood
February 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM
jfap was tried.

FRain
February 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
GOD DAMN IT KORNMAN NEED TO SPREAD SOME REP >_>

Pyong Kawaguchi
February 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
must spread rep...

Kornman00
February 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
well at least rep isn't called cheeks

as jcap already spread 'em

without a 'back blast all clear!' relay :|. what an asshole :-3

e: actually, there should be a forum filter to replace 'rep' with buttcheeks. go.

oh, but finish the forums first......nah fuck it, do the filter first.

Heathen
February 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
oh how many instances of "must spread rep" will be changed to lulz.

ODX
February 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM

I'd say they should move the crosshair up.Actually, you're right on that. The animators did have it that way but then the way their animations are in-game, they're moved down to the correct position.

I'm still completely fine with it being lowered though, just another thing that makes Halo different from every other FPS. Certainly allows for a different and unique feel of animations.

jcap
February 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM
The animators did have it that way but then the way their animations are in-game, they're moved down to the correct position. Actually, moving them down put them in an incorrect position in Halo 3. In Halo 3, they point below the reticule, and in Reach, it looks like they point above it. Although the reticule is off-center horizontally in the screenshot, I believe the vertical position is correct because it's at the same level as the blood.

Bungie has downs syndrome.

This is what it should be:
http://jcap.h2vista.net/files/halo/GOOD%20HUD%20HCE.jpg

This is Halo 3 sucking balls:
http://jcap.h2vista.net/files/halo/WTF%20HUD%20H3.jpg

This is Reach...oh my god what the I don't even...
http://jcap.h2vista.net/files/halo/WTF%20HUD%20REACH.jpg

t3h m00kz
February 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I'd say do that to a more recent screenshot that doesn't have the crosshair all wtf over the place.

ICEE
February 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
somehow I don't think thats a crosshair.

Heathen
February 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
it is. It was a bug and it was already addressed.

FRain
February 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Myth: That cross hair in the first person screenshot is way off to the left! It totally means <insert wild gameplay speculation here>!

Truth: Sorry folks, you won’t be perpetually leaning to the left nor will you be navigating multiple cross-hairs for various purposes. Truth be told, it’s just a good ole fashioned bug. Bug #15163 to be exact. Here’s the entry as found in our RAID database:

===== Opened by dg on 11/02/2009 01:33PM =====
SCREENSHOTS: Tiled screenshots using screenshot console command have crosshair in the wrong spot
Description:

Screenshots taken with the screenshot commands (tiled screenshots) all have the crosshair in the wrong place. It's either missing, or aligned too far to the left.

Note: attached screenshots correspond to commands below. chief.jpg is a screenshot using xbox chief.
Repro Steps:

Launch Reach
Start a campaign game
Create screenshot using _screenshot_ command
Note crosshair position for each shot

Actual:
Crosshair is off center for all tiled screenshots

Expected:
Crosshair is centered appropriately

Impact:
This prevents the community team from getting good screenshots.

Repro:
100%

^^

=sw=warlord
February 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'd say do that to a more recent screenshot that doesn't have the crosshair all wtf over the place.
http://i46.tinypic.com/6tilbm.png

Kornman00
February 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I think Queen said it best when they said...

just Play The Game

annihilation
February 17th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I wonder if it's going to be more gory.

ODX
February 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Jcap and warlord, keep in mind Bungie has a pretty fluent\flowy idle animation for their weapons, so the actual origin may be pointing correct but with the idle it seems to point off.

Heathen
February 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
^ that is a good point I hadn't considered.

Just go scattering these images with the red lines all over bnet until bungie notices it and says "OOH"

Warsaw
February 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I wonder if it's going to be more gory.

I hope so. It would certainly make the Covenant more vicious if they did to the civilians in Reach what they did to them on Sigma Octanus IV.

sevlag
February 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I hope so. It would certainly make the Covenant more vicious if they did to the civilians in Reach what they did to them on Sigma Octanus IV.Gears of Halo:REACH

Inferno
February 17th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Gears of Halo:REACH
Gears of Duty: Reach

ICEE
February 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
maybe they'll delay it and switch visual styles.

Gears of Duty fortress 2: Reach

Kornman00
February 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
No no no, you have it all backwards, after the beta they're going to announce the new name is actually

Halo Reach Forever :downs:

(anyone else find it funny how DNF is also an abbv. for Did Not Finish?)

sevlag
February 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM
No no no, you have it all backwards, after the beta they're going to announce the new name is actually

Halo Reach Forever :downs:

lol will noble 6 have balls of steel? xD

Lateksi
February 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Haha, that's pretty good. But sad too. :(

Kornman00
February 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
lol will noble 6 have balls of steel? xD
Why do you think they only brought on ony "one" more SIII...because Noble 6's balls of steel count as Noble 7 :realsmug:. Unless you play N6 as a female. Then you have to imagine the breasts under the chest plate as...actually who would want to imagine that, nvm.

can't have a part of the story without somehow manginging to poke a 7 in it after all!

sevlag
February 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
SO who else is expecting a plot twist?

Kornman00
February 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone think we'll actually get to see Bungie's interpretation of the Doctor and not some crazy jap crap?

=sw=warlord
February 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Anyone think we'll actually get to see Bungie's interpretation of the Doctor and not some crazy jap crap?
One can only hope.

Dwood
February 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I think this will end in a similar fashion to the beginning of the tv show series Doctor Who.

Warsaw
February 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Time vortex! Wooooooo! *cue Tom Baker's face*

There really isn't much material available to use in speculating the story. Since this is a breakoff from what we know about the battle on Reach, we can't really apply what we know to the situation.

paladin
February 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
A bomb will go off and anyone in front of the bomb will travel in the future and anyone behind it will travel back in time.

Rob Oplawar
February 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Luckily Noble 6 was facing forward when the bomb went off.

ICEE
February 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I just can't wait until they try to match chiefs semiepic one liners using every single cast member.

Kornman00
February 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
They didn't really show signs of that being the case in the trailer so....ok

sdavis117
February 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
"Spartans never die Jorge."

Oh yeah, the trailer gave off that vibe.

Kornman00
February 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Except he continued to talk after that...

It wasn't a "I need a weapon" or a "Does he always refer to me like that?" line

t3h m00kz
February 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Bet you can't stick it.

You're on.

ODX
February 19th, 2010, 06:42 AM
A little interview thingie-ma-bob. Just gives a few little facts, such as the return of split screen/4-player co-op.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/x10-visual-halo-reach/61967

=sw=warlord
February 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Except he continued to talk after that...

It wasn't a "I need a weapon" or a "Does he always refer to me like that?" line

"so this is our new number 6?
You chose one helluva day to sign up"

Rob Oplawar
February 19th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Not yet.
:bandwagon:

The one-liners in Halo have always been fantastically corny. I guess the "Spartans never die" line is only fitting.

Llama Juice
February 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
A little interview thingie-ma-bob. Just gives a few little facts, such as the return of split screen/4-player co-op.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/x10-visual-halo-reach/61967

It doesn't actually say split screen 4 player co-op in there btw. I don't know if that's what you meant in your comment there, but that's what I picked up from ye. Still, looks neat :3

FRain
February 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
They said there was 4 player and splitscreen co-op. Also, online coop, so I'm excited because I don't have my account anymore.

Kornman00
February 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
(edit) @ ODX

At first when you said "split screen/4 player co-op" I thought you might have been meaning that they also were returning 4 player split screen. Then I watched the video and realized it was just the return of split screen games in campaign and MP plus 4-player co-op in campaign. Would be crazy if they could have done 4 player split screen plus all these visual upgrades o_o

At the end of the video he talks about how they're taking everything good/what they've learned from Halo 1, 2, 3 and ODST and putting it into Reach...I think we can rest assure that Firefight will be returning to us come the end of this year :neckbeard:. "We're making the definitive Halo game with Reach"

Kornman00
February 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I just can't wait until they try to match chiefs semiepic one liners using every single cast member.

"so this is our new number 6?
You chose one helluva day to sign up"
Oh sweet, Bungie is upgrading their "semiepic one liners" to "semiepic two liners"! It's just fucking cutscene filler. What, do you expect soldiers heading into battle all quiet not making a peep when they have a new member they don't know?

ODX
February 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM
It doesn't actually say split screen 4 player co-op in there btw. I don't know if that's what you meant in your comment there, but that's what I picked up from ye. Still, looks neat :3Yeah, I said split screen slash 4 player co-op. The slash essentially meaning 'and.' Never understood why they didn't actually have 4 player split screen co-op in Halo 3; is it because the campaign is a bit more demanding and they couldn't have had 4 separate screens each running on one TV or something?

Kornman00
February 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah, the drop from 4 to 2 player split screen was due to resources

DarkHalo003
February 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I think Reach will be a good close for Bungie, but I think the game itself will be very much to-be-determined in a way. Either it will lose its awesome level by Bungie relying too much on Halo1 as a support foundation or it will be fantastic by it's own originality. If it falls in between like Halo3, timeless, then that would be fine too, but I think multiplayer is going to blow away anything we've seen before.

sevlag
February 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
anyone else coutning down days to the beta?

Heathen
February 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Probably not. I'm not.

SilentChaos
February 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
I hope not. Doesn't sound to healthy.

Heathen
February 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Seeing that it is in May. More than 3 months away.

Kornman00
February 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Eh, only a little over 2 months, hth ;x

Useless
February 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I'm ready for the beta.

Pooky
February 24th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Either it will lose its awesome level by Bungie relying too much on Halo1 as a support foundation

I don't see where Bungie modeling this game off Halo 1 would be a bad thing. In fact, it almost seems like they're set on adding some skill back into the Halo series multiplayer, as opposed to Halo 2 and 3's over reliance on auto aim and ridiculous melee lunge.

t3h m00kz
February 24th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I don't see how basing the game more on Halo 1 is a bad thing, considering the fact that Halo 2 and 3 played nearly identical to each other, except with Halo 3 where everyone spawned with that HORRIBLE "omg spray & melee" Assault Rifle. ODST was a step in the right direction, building upon Halo 1's style of gameplay (healthpacks, effective long-range weapons, etc). Reach seems to be going more into that direction from what I can see in the vidoc with the DMR and scoping Pistol.

According to the latest B.net update, the pistol's fucking awesome right now.

It should be no secret at this point that I’m what you might call an ass. As soon as I got the Magnum in my hot little hands on Wednesday night, I was grinning ear to ear and making sure anyone within hearing range knew that I was cranking out headshots with what I felt was absurd efficiency. (Didn’t seem to instill much fear in Bob as he crouched over my lifeless corpse and offered up his own analysis of my elite skills.

“Yeah, headshot that, dumbass.”

:(

While it’s not quite the double damage, TSK machine from the Evolved era Sage spoke out about in our most recent podcast, the Reach Magnum was far and away my favorite weapon in the latest takehome build. At one point, I must have said, “My God, the pistol is soooooo good!” just a little too loudly, because Luke piped up to admonish me for calling attention to it.

“Shut up, dude. They’ll hear you!”

I don’t know who “they” are, but Luke seemed to think that the Magnum in its current state wouldn’t be sticking around for too much longer. In fact, I heard him recount this very same tale to some unlucky passerby again this morning.

“If I like a weapon too much, it gets changed.”

So, yesterday morning I crept up on Sage’s right-hand man, Josh Hamrick, and praised him for all the fine work they were doing with the weapon set. “It all felt perfect,” I said. “Tuned up just right.”

Slurp, slurp.

Then I inquired *gulp* as to the status of the Magnum and the forecast for its short and long term future. Josh assured me it was pretty much locked in. Now, all the weapons will likely undergo some small tweaks through Alpha, Beta, and public release cycle of course, but Josh seemed confident that the pistol will ship as the effective sidearm it was when I wielded it this past Wednesday night. Sage echoed the very same sentiment to me earlier this morning.

And Luke definitely wasn’t taking his own advice, anyway. While I was busy not shutting up about the Magnum all throughout the evening’s festivities, Luke’s own DMR-fueled taunts quickly devolved into moans and groans of pleasure that would have made an entire tribe of scantily clad Na’vi warriors blush in brilliant aquamarine embarrassment. He and his trusty rifle were definitely working together in some kind of disturbing tsahaylu tandem. I see you, Luke Smith. I see you.

Llama Juice
February 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I was looking through some old magazines, and saw this stuff.... made me lol because of how people were complaining about the new features that are "making Halo like COD."

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2218/halo2features1.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9569/halo2features2.jpg

thehoodedsmack
February 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Unless you actually use the idea, the spoils of recognition are going to go to whoever implements it first. Otherwise you're akin to an old man in a nursing home complaining about how he thought up Google before anyone else, but didn't have the time to follow through on it. So yeah, Halo's still being COD-ified. Neat article, though.

TVTyrant
February 24th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I liked the sprite work. It was hilarious.

t3h m00kz
February 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Unless you actually use the idea, the spoils of recognition are going to go to whoever implements it first. Otherwise you're akin to an old man in a nursing home complaining about how he thought up Google before anyone else, but didn't have the time to follow through on it. So yeah, Halo's still being COD-ified. Neat article, though.

I completely disagree.

First of all, COD was not the first game to use sprint. Gears of War uses sprint. Even Doom uses a run feature.

Second of all, "this game now has features that are used in this older game" is a really lame for anyone to not like a game. If the feature is put to good use, and the game is good, why should anybody care? If it were that big of a deal, all FPSes after Wolfenstein and Doom would never be played because they "ripped off."

Just because a game has similar features taken from other games doesn't mean it's going to be bad or unoriginal. People seem to forgot the original Halo had very unoriginal artistic inspiration from Aliens II. That doesn't mean it was a bad game.

sevlag
February 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I completely disagree.

First of all, COD was not the first game to use sprint. Gears of War uses sprint. Even Doom uses a run feature.

Second of all, "this game now has features that are used in this older game" is a really lame for anyone to not like a game. If the feature is put to good use, and the game is good, why should anybody care? If it were that big of a deal, all FPSes after Wolfenstein and Doom would never be played because they "ripped off."

Just because a game has similar features taken from other games doesn't mean it's going to be bad or unoriginal. People seem to forgot the original Halo had very unoriginal artistic inspiration from Aliens II. That doesn't mean it was a bad game.remember fanboys get offended when stuff is ripped from a game they like and thrown into a game they think is terrible. let's just wait for the MP beta to have something to actually complain about

Siliconmaster
February 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Just because a game has similar features taken from other games doesn't mean it's going to be bad or unoriginal. People seem to forgot the original Halo had very unoriginal artistic inspiration from Aliens II. That doesn't mean it was a bad game.

I agree. Also, ftfy. The original was "Alien". :downs:

SilentChaos
February 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I like the fact that Bungie is grabbing features from other games and adding them to Halo. The most obvious features are from Gears of War (assassinations) and Call of Duty (Sprint, AA). If the gameplay is solid and fun than I'll have no problem.

Good_Apollo
February 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I like the fact that Bungie is grabbing features from other games and adding them to Halo. The most obvious features are from Gears of War (assassinations) and Call of Duty (Sprint, AA). If the gameplay is solid and fun than I'll have no problem.Lol?

:raise:

Heathen
February 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Those aren't features in those games. Those are features that have been in MANY games and are good gameplay elements.

t3h m00kz
February 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I agree. Also, ftfy. The original was "Alien". :downs:

True, but there were also things taken from Aliens 2, including Sgt Johnson's character, Pelican dropships, the armor for the Marines, etc.

Ifafudafi
February 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
True, but there were also things taken from Aliens 2, including Sgt Johnson's character, Pelican dropships, the armor for the Marines, etc.

He means the first movie was called "Alien." The second was simply titled "Aliens," no 2 or II. hth

(also should we consider making another subforum for Reach)

Kornman00
February 26th, 2010, 12:47 AM
What we should do is just make a subforum for all Halo games besides Halo PCs (1 & 2) with prefixers to specify what game the thread is for

Then combine the Halo 1 & 2 PC subforums into one.

I won't hold my breath though...we're still trying to finish upgrading to vb4 after all

laghing_rabt
February 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
while yall talk about the game play, I'll sit in wonder of how well they pull off the story. I'm very much interested in what they do with the sparten IIIs, and wonder if they'll do anything with gamma company of the sparten IIIs. any one got any ideas?

Kornman00
March 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM
I'm pretty sure these are the only SIIIs we'll see and probably they'll all die in some heroic manner

Or rather they'll all become "MIA" in some heroic manner

Hope you brought your shovel, this world looks...deep

Siliconmaster
March 1st, 2010, 12:26 AM
Hope you brought your shovel, this world looks...deep

I know it's implied, but it needs it.

:caruso:

Pyong Kawaguchi
March 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder how long until reach ends up looking like this
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2872/video20100301155152.png

Choking Victim
March 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
I wonder how long until reach ends up looking like this
If you mean really bad...I hope it never looks like that.

Heathen
March 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
jesus christ what is that

CodeBrain
March 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
jesus christ what is that

A Halo 3 Sandtrap Mod shown with a Xbox 360 Dev kit (Be it Test/Demo/Dev)

From that picture all I can see is horrible texture swaps/edits

In other words, bad map that can only be really played on a devkit

Choking Victim
March 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
A Halo 3 Sandtrap Mod shown with a Xbox 360 Dev kit (Be it Test/Demo/Dev)

From that picture all I can see is horrible texture swaps/edits

In other words, bad map that can only be really played on a modded 360
ftfy.

ShadowSpartan
March 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
In other words, bad map that can only be really played on a devkit
You do not need a devkit. It can be done using a modded Xbox 360, which is what the majority of them are using.

Pyong Kawaguchi
March 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yes, in fact that is my pic, not my mod though.
I really hope reach doesn't end up like that.

CodeBrain
March 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I haven't been in the 360 modding loop lately, the last time I checked the only way Halo 3 modding could be done was on a devkit of some kind.

Glad to see now that it can be done on any modded 360.

SilentChaos
March 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM
I think ShadowSpartan meant to say modded maps can be played on a modded 360 not made on one.

Choking Victim
March 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Funny, I don't see the word "made" anywhere in his post. I think he meant exactly what he said.

ShadowSpartan
March 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Choking Victim is correct. Nowhere did I say "made", and neither did the person I quoted. Codebrain said "In other words, bad map that can only be really played on a devkit". If you are going to correct me, at least do it when I am wrong or actually said something instead of putting words into my mouth.

TVTyrant
March 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
I believe it was a typo. Move on everybody.

Kornman00
March 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM
What makes you think...Reach will look in any way like H3 when they've gone to great lengths to actually upgrade the engine to push the platform?

E: Holy crap, who cares about playing shit on a devkit vs a modded xbox vs a modded NES? This thread is about fucking Reach. Yes, FUCKING Reach. Rock out with your cocks out.

t3h m00kz
March 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
yeah I have no idea how we got onto the topic of devkits. Nor do I know what that picture of a modded Halo 3 has anything to do with Reach, or what was implied by the post.

So yeah. How about that glimpse of the pistol we got in that vidoc?

PlasbianX
March 2nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
yeah I have no idea how we got onto the topic of devkits. Nor do I know what that [B]picture of a modded Halo 3 has anything to do with Reach, or what was implied by the pos[t/B].

So yeah. How about that glimpse of the pistol we got in that vidoc?

Just someone bitching that they hope the game doesnt have people modding it. Not that hard to comprehend.

Lateksi
March 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Why does the super ultra mega small community of Halo Xbox modders bother you?

t3h m00kz
March 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Just someone bitching that they hope the game doesnt have people modding it. Not that hard to comprehend.

Considering the fact that this is a pro-modding site, that's actually the last thing I would have thought.

Choking Victim
March 2nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Who's bitching about modding?

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Pyong, I guess. But what I took away from his post was that he hopes it wasn't just a matter of time before Reach looked like MW2 with camo weapons, not shitty mods.

Kornman00
March 3rd, 2010, 12:34 AM
See, the post was fucking ambiguous. Without explanation people are just going to assume what you're trying to say or imply. This can go in so many directions so there is no "obviously" except for yourself.

Now drop the crap about modding or if a devkit is a toaster box or not and go back to talking about Reach.

Terry
March 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
udhQ9KkoQ3I

Even I have to admit that this is crazy impressive :/

Atleast, graphics and animation wise it is.

It also looks A LOT faster paced.

Darqeness
March 3rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
Pistol with scope :D

Very impressive looks a lot better in motion than the screenshots. Invasion and headhunter looks interesting. Wonder what they mean by "active roster"?

Saw a few of the "perks" in there with a few new ones:

-cloaking (symbol's triangle with an eye in the centre)
-sprinting (diamond with a lighting bolt centred)
- some kind of ant-splatter thing (at 00:26 a ghost rams into a player and a shield pops up that sends the ghost flying over) (shield with a padlock symbol)
- rolling/dodging (could be a perk or available to all?)
- jetpack (jetpack silhouette with aero emblem)
- One more symbol seen - the eye from the cloaking symbol not bordered, could be an anti-cloak scope or similar device...

Ganon
March 3rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
First to say that looks awful

sevlag
March 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
im gonna say i like the idea of a one time use anti-splatter perk

my main gripe was in halo 3 the warthog's chaingun was more like a rifle,even at long distances, the cone of fire was way too tight
I hope for REACH they go back to a halo 2 cone of fire for the hog's chain gun

=sw=warlord
March 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
For an alpha that actualy looks pretty good to me. (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Reach_MPTrailer)

FRain
March 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4829/jetpackpwns.jpg

FUCKING JETPACKS

FRain
March 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
So I've made a list of things I saw:

A little blip next to your radar tells you where you are in the map (Atrium, C.I.C, C.I.C Hallway, In the air)
Rolling/Somersaulting of some kind
Several Assassination animations
FUCKING JETPACKS
Weapon Loadouts
Headhunter Game mode - I'm guessing you shoot them in the head and collect their skulls, and then when they shoot you you lose all your skulls.
Invasion - Not too sure what this is
Spartans vs Elites SHIT YES SON.
N00b T00b
New Heavy Covenant rifle (not the needle rifle)
Return of Sheila (the tank), Warthogs, and purple ships (ghosts), Also, I think I saw a mongoose
Generator gametype (See Generator Destroyed while using the rocket launcher)
Looks like they have very low AA or had to drop it
Looks smoother than 30fps, so hopefully it's not locked to 30 anymore

thehoodedsmack
March 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Oh God, why jetpacks...

PlasbianX
March 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Oh God, why jetpacks...

It looks like fucking tribes now!!!

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914677_20041005_screen003.jpg

Rageeeee

Choking Victim
March 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Yea, how dare them. Adding new things to halo, blasphemy.

Con
March 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
That covie heavy weapon looks like it shoots stickies.

e: FRain, there was never any AA to begin with. That teaser was a frame dump.

FRain
March 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not talking about the frame dump, in several pre-alpha shots (the ones with the orange HUD) had a very low amount of AA. In those shots, stuff like tree branches in the distance had reduced jaggies, but in these recent shots there are more jaggies.

Yea, how dare them. Adding new things to halo, blasphemy.
Yes! I mean, halo was already bad without those new add ons and we were complaining but fuck that, it's now worse for having those features even though we were complaining. It makes perfect sense, right? :downs:

I mean now with jetpacks they're copying this game!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/Jetpac_Coverart.png

RIGHT?

=sw=warlord
March 3rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Im guessing the jetpack is what was mentioned about needing it's own instructions.
that heavy weapon looks pretty bad ass with homing plasma bolts.

Kornman00
March 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
That addition of map location names by the radar I think is a godsend. Now there'll be a set naming convention so people are able to communicate field reports a lot more fluently

The jetpack thing...is different. I'll wait until the beta to voice any opinions.

Active Roster may be some kind of game balancing thing. Where you'll have say half of the players actually battling, then the other half on stand by waiting to take a fallen player's place or to play the next round. I guess it's Hockey for Halo. H4H!

Invasion looks to be a faced paced game type where one team may be given a shit load of vehicles and weapons while the others hold a position against those armaments of the apposing team.

Basically, they've taken some pretty abstract game types and further defined them into new branches without making them too map specific (like making some game type that really only works on say Valhalla but no where else). Headhunter has been in the works (as far as game code wise) since at least Halo 2. I think invasion was also in development during Halo 3.

thehoodedsmack
March 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Invasion looks like Firefight, without skulls. And I'm kinda hoping it is. Otherwise it just sounds like another version of Territories.

Llama Juice
March 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
The jetpack thing looks rather awesome tbh. I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

legionaire45
March 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Really liking what I'm seeing so far.

Lots of new stuff and it actually makes some sense this time :D

=sw=warlord
March 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Invasion looks like Firefight, without skulls. :ohboy:
Km, when you get reach we need to play this, this time you can't blame the black eye skull like you did in ODST.:downs:

Kornman00
March 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
In which case I'll just hack it in so I can blame it :downs:

also, watch out: ExAm will -rep you for using that smilie! :nsmug:

Hunter
March 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
I am really liking the COD/Halo look. Is the beta availible to people who pre-ordered Halo 3:ODST? Or everyone who owns the game? Because I have not code in the box or nout, unless it is avaliable through the menus.

TeeKup
March 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
That gameplay looked amazing. Like really amazing. D:

flibitijibibo
March 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
When I saw the jetpacks, I could only think of this:
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2652/1266259429985.jpg
Seems like an interesting addition though. (Hopefully they won't add tuuuuuuuuuuuuuubes though.)

Siliconmaster
March 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
I am really liking the COD/Halo look. Is the beta availible to people who pre-ordered Halo 3:ODST? Or everyone who owns the game? Because I have not code in the box or nout, unless it is avaliable through the menus.

It's everyone with ODST, pre order or not. There's no code- just like Crackdown and the H3 Beta, the link will appear in the ODST Extras menu, as far as I know.

Timo
March 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
First footage i've watched at all for Reach, trying to stay out of the loop so I don't get let down like I was for ODST. It definitely does look a lot more fluid, I hope this is awesome :x

BobtheGreatII
March 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ok. Uh. I love it. Game looks amazing. Sorry to those who disagree. But I think they've done some freaking amazing things.

Hunter
March 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
I completed the story on ODST and havn't touched it since. Didn't bother with multiplay because I figured that it would just be like Halo 3 but new maps and silenced weapons?

Tank in Reach disopointed me. Looks too plain :(

Warsaw
March 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I like it. And I see animated crosshairs showing how affected your accuracy i, nice!

To be honest though, I'm more concerned with single player than multiplayer.

jcap
March 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I think the jetpacks would be very balanced (and awesome) if they did just one thing:

The jetpack needs to be able to take damage. If you are using it and you are getting lit up by an enemy from behind, a couple of bullets in the engine and the jetpack fails. A few more, or a rocket, and the thing blows up like a grenade.

Then there would be a decent risk associated with using it, and you're not left with no recourse if you are the one getting shot.

Heathen
March 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Or a fuel with a fuel station. Or just fuel and no fuel station.

And as for a perk that lets you see cloaked people, if that is what it is, that worries me. I can already see cloaked players just fine, so maybe that means cloaked players will be more invisible on this one?

Good_Apollo
March 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Not going to lie, That all looked terrible. Faster gameplay? That's exactly what Halo DID NOT need. I've never seen a developer shy away from their original (successful) concept more than Bungie has.

Thankfully I can still count on Valve for delivering on Episode 3. They know how to make sequels.

Hotrod
March 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Remember the first Multiplayer ViDoc for Halo 3? From that it seemed that the gameplay was going to be very fast and crowded (just like this one), but it turned out to be fine in the end. And to sum all my thoughts up : OMFG this looks awesome!

Thankfully I can still count on Valve for delivering on Episode 3. They know how to make sequels.
Ah, but this is a prequel, not a sequel :eng101:

=sw=warlord
March 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Not going to lie, That all looked terrible. Faster gameplay? That's exactly what Halo DID NOT need. I've never seen a developer shy away from their original (successful) concept more than Bungie has.

you can still count on them keeping good time keeping as well oh wai-

ejburke
March 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM
The jetpack is an armor ability, which operate on a cooldown. I don't think making it destructible is necessary. It seems to have limited offensive potential and is more for escaping, taking shortcuts through the map, setting up ambushes, and getting to good sniper perches.

jcap
March 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
My only request for this game is a real ranking system. Jesus, why can't they learn from Call of Duty or Halo Wars?

Sure, keep TruSkill, but keep it hidden so only matchmaking can make an even match. The level system in its current format is fucking stupid.

E: Oh, and dedicated servers. This series is shit with how all-or-nothing it has become. Whatever happened to casual games? "Social" is no excuse for casual gaming, since you can't join any game in progress or quit one at your own will without being penalized or screwing over your team.

Terry
March 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM

Um what? Halo 1 remains the fastest paced Halo to date?

ExAm
March 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
also, watch out: ExAm will -rep you for using that smilie! :nsmug:Damn fucking right I will.

Warsaw
March 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Um what? Halo 1 remains the fastest paced Halo to date?

Noes.

Halo 1 was the slowest one in my experience. You have to trudge to find your gun, trudge to a good spot, and wait it out. You have to actively seek out and destroy your target. In the other Halos, all you have to do is spawn and you are already getting mauled or have someone to maul, even on the big maps.

Hunter
March 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
@Jcap (Two wise guys decided to post whilst I was typing.)
Well, maybe instead of it just exploding maybe just make it stop working. Otherwise everyone will be shooting at the jetpack to blow it up all of the time. And no one will use it. And your avatar is cool, looks 3D :P

Disaster
March 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Game looks awesome.

@Hunter and Jcap - Make the jetpack susceptible to EMP from overcharged plasma burst.

Timo
March 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
If it was only able to be used for several seconds at a time it wouldn't be so bad. That, and it was either one use or had a large cooldown.

Spartan094
March 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Oh shit son. I hope is better then how odst was, damn.

The walking forward animations for the spartan seem to annoy me abit.

Spartans vs. Elites, time for some fun with my friends.

Limited
March 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Looks great, not a massive fan of the jet packs but we'll see how the gameplay actually is in beta.

I do like the reticule tile change thing with accuracy, but bloody hell don't make it a sniper reticule and then change it to a damn shotgun's one, it looked really ugly and bizzare.

Roostervier
March 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
they did a terrible job remaking the halo 1 style grenade throw, need to redo them

Hunter
March 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
I think the snipe rifle reticle goes big after its been fired to show the player that if he fires again then the bullet would be inaccurate and land somewhere within the range which it expands to. Seems like a good idea to me, I like it.

And I think the Jetpack is only availible for a certain amount of time then it has to recharge, much like the sprint does. Hopfully you can roll about with no limit and you have the ability to do that by default, much like Gears of War. I wouldn't mind seeing a feature which lets you crouch behind objects and peep around corners (Stick to walls/objects) like Gears of War. Would be interesting.

:ohboy:
Just for Heaven ;P

http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/em16nn2.gif

jcap
March 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well, maybe instead of it just exploding maybe just make it stop working. Otherwise everyone will be shooting at the jetpack to blow it up all of the time. And no one will use it. And your avatar is cool, looks 3D :P
It would only explode if it took extensive damage. Taking normal damage, a thruster would just crap out and the person would lose control of where he is flying. It would only explode from a stick or rocket shot, which you would be dead from anyway. It could also possibly explode from taking extra damage after the player is dead.

Either way, they will still use it. The only thing that will change is how desperate they are to use it (so they use it when absolutely necessary, and there's no abusing it).

Heathen
March 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
I dont like the destructible idea Jcap, though I see where you are coming from. I think simply giving it a cooldown is enough.

il Duce Primo
March 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
You also have to remember that when a person is using the jetpack he's an easy target all around.

ejburke
March 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Seriously, everybody is going to turn and shoot at the guy levitating above the fray. What an easy target. Just shoot and kill him. No need to get cute.

Heathen
March 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
plus I think maneuverability will be largely hampered.

ejburke
March 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
It's kind of funny. If they introduced an armor ability that did nothing but inflate your head 10 times its normal size, you'd probably see people saying, "I'm a little wary of this, but as long as I get your home address and am allowed to rape your mother as a deterrent for using it, I won't complain TOO much. Well, I won't actively send envelopes filled with anthrax to Bungie's offices, anyway."

Heathen
March 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
uh...what?

Con
March 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Seriously, everybody is going to turn and shoot at the guy levitating above the fray. What an easy target. Just shoot and kill him. No need to get cute.
this

The jetpack is only advantageous for moving around the map. I'm sure there's a disadvantage as well as far as losing slots or perks goes.

TVTyrant
March 3rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
Jetpacks with swords as a new special gametype? I think so.

FRain
March 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
That's what I think. Everyone I've talked to on Bungie.net has said "jetpacks suck everyones gonna use them" people don't realize for what little maneuverability that gives you, it makes you a giant target for people to shoot at.

FRain
March 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Holy shit. This is the best reaction to Reach in the dev blogs. Ever.

GOD GRRR!!! There were a ton of things that completely pissed me off about that video. The shields look. like. s-h-!-t. They're they exact same as before, except now they just used like four 2d animations of a fancy "shieldish" oval spreading out and disappearing from the spartan's body. THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE SHIELDS coming off the bodies of the soldiers anymore! they look like weird ovular vortex things being emitted from the suit!!!! second, as you'll notice at 0:44 in the vid, THE BLAMMING EXPLOSION IS BLAMMING SMALLER THAN THE BLAMMING VEHICLE ITS BLAMMING COMING FROM!!!! I thought they got the message when people complained about the grenades in Halo 3 looking like firecrackers, but apparently not! Seriously guys! If you need a reason to make them bigger, I'll gladly give it to you: ask yourself: Do I want the vehicles to look as if they disappear prior to its explosion? "huh...i guess ur rite huh?" ITS SOO EASY TO FIX!!! PLEEEAAASEE FIIIX IT!!!!! JUST TAKE YOUR LITTLE SCALE TOOL, CLICK, DRAG, BOOP! ALL BETTER! BIGGER EXPLOSION! so your vehicles don't look like they just disappear. its almost as if the explosion is saying "what? no vehicle just disappeared here...what are you talking about?" the player: "ooo...pretty liiights, okay maybe it didn't just DISAPPEAR BEFORE MY BLAMMING EYES."
*sigh* sorry bungie, i do love you guys. i was just so psyched for the trailer and i was let down. i'm not trying to be blammy (spelled with a c at the beginning and an ock before the -y), i just really don't want to be disappointed when this godly game is unleashed due to some minor problem that's easily fixable. thanks guys.

The scale tool reference was amazing.

English Mobster
March 4th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Looks like the jetpack has a recharge between uses. It's also an armor ability, so if you use jetpack, no sprinting/active camo/anti-splatter/whatever else. It doesn't look like a very long recharge, however, so perhaps it can be disabled?

t3h m00kz
March 4th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Heh. Looks pretty good.

Hunter
March 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM
:O ExAm! Taking on Heathen's role are we? (http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/em16nn2.gif)

Lateksi
March 4th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Jetpacks with swords as a new special gametype? I think so.

Yeah swords and rocket launchers with jetpacks would make a fun gametype. But rockets in H3 and even in this ViDoc seem to explode near you... They don't even have to hit you, lol. Can't have them going over your shoulder or anything.

Anyway, this game is the game that Halo 3 should have been.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2nqwgno.gif

Kornman00
March 4th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Wtf?

Notice that odd animation glitch (left arm) on the red player?

Or was that something caused by the gif compiler?

ExAm
March 4th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Wtf?

It was the video. If it was an error with the gif, the camera panning would also be interrupted.

Heathen
March 4th, 2010, 07:15 AM
yeesh, that is a hell of an oversight bungie.

thehoodedsmack
March 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I don't like the idea of inescapable assassinations. All I can imagine is that it's going to cause glitchy animations if you get killed mid-way through, akin to being killed as you're climbing over something in MW2.

FRain
March 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
You don't necessarily have to use those assassination animations however. You can just do your button press whack with your elbow melee. But stabbing with your knife is still cooler.

Teltaur
March 4th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Actually, Bungie's planning on getting rid of normal melee assassinations, unless there's a major complaint about the current system during the beta.

FRain
March 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Where did you read that? The current system is if you are holding down the button you assassinate. If you just push the button you just do a standard melee.

t3h m00kz
March 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Actually, Bungie's planning on getting rid of normal melee assassinations, unless there's a major complaint about the current system during the beta.

I'd love to know where you read this.

Wtf?

It's bound to be fixed, it's probably just not polished yet. Did you see the Elite hand on the sticky-grenade anti-vehicle gun? That was even worse. No way they're shipping with that stuff.

sevlag
March 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM
The anti-splatter thing looks wonderful, the jetpack will play well with rockets.

What i don't like is that they're still sticking to a halo 3 ish scorpion tank

I wonder if elites will get armor permutations (more than in gaylo 3)

Hunter
March 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I can see people hitting a ramp in a Warthog to try and splatter someone hovering with the jetpack. :P

Or is that just me?

Siliconmaster
March 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I can see people hitting a ramp in a Warthog to try and splatter someone hovering with the jetpack. :P

Or is that just me?

I'd hit that. :v:

Hunter
March 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I will hit you up when the Beta is out then :P Make it our goal to splat someone in mid air :P

Heathen
March 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Probably going to be an achievement.

Rob Oplawar
March 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Heh, not bad. I was complaining before about Bungie being unoriginal by doing this IP to death, but I have to say, it looks like they're adding a lot to the multiplayer to make this game unique (and why shouldn't they, they did it on every previous Halo game). Still, I'll withhold judgement until I actually play.

Continue to pleasantly surprise me, Bungie, just don't let me down on the campaign.

TeeKup
March 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I just re-bought ODST. See you guys in the beta. :v:

ExAm
March 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM
yeesh, that is a hell of an oversight bungie.
It's the beta. It'll get fixed.

ejburke
March 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM
What do you guys think of cooldowns in general? I mostly just tolerate them. I understand their role in allowing instant, tactical access to an ability and then restricting that ability to prevent abuse, but it strikes me as being too contrived. You hit a button and then that button does nothing for X amount of seconds, where X increases proportionally to the usefulness of the ability. If you come upon a situation that you wuld need that ability before the cooldown is up, you'll naturally tend to just start tapping the button, muttering, "c'mon-c'mon-c'mon" and trying to will time to speed up, so you can use that ability again, in the nick of time. I just don't think that is a behavioral pattern that should be associated with playing a fun game.

I understand why they use it and I'm not saying I have a better solution, it's just that in my Bungie-worship days, if you had told me a future Halo game was going to have cooldowns, I'd have said, "No way, "Bungie will come up with a better idea that makes the very notion of cooldowns obselete." It's disappointing to see that my faith wouldn't have been rewarded.

ExAm
March 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't like the idea of inescapable assassinations. All I can imagine is that it's going to cause glitchy animations if you get killed mid-way through, akin to being killed as you're climbing over something in MW2.
Assassinations have always been inescapable, one-hit kills. If someone hits you in the back, you're dead. That's it. At least now you have to take some risks to perform a one-hit kill.

Heathen
March 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM
^true.

Hadn't thought of it that way for some reason.

thehoodedsmack
March 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Assassinations have always been inescapable, one-hit kills. If someone hits you in the back, you're dead. That's it. At least now you have to take some risks to perform a one-hit kill.

That's not my worry. It's the fluidity of the animations. If they can pull off a good enough transition from mid-assassination to the attacker (or target, even) dying mid-way, then I'm fine with it. But since it involves animating two players through the process, my first thought is that it'd be pretty jerky.

Warsaw
March 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Heh, not bad. I was complaining before about Bungie being unoriginal by doing this IP to death, but I have to say, it looks like they're adding a lot to the multiplayer to make this game unique (and why shouldn't they, they did it on every previous Halo game). Still, I'll withhold judgement until I actually play.

Continue to pleasantly surprise me, Bungie, just don't let me down on the campaign.

This. 1000x this. I've hardly even breached the surface of the multiplayer options in Halo 2, let alone Halo 3. So much emphasis is put on that element of the past few games that they forgot Halo was supposed to have a story and a single player.

Teltaur
March 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'd love to know where you read this.

Didn't read, heard. Latest Bungie Podcast, they talked about the Assassination system and how they would approach it in the beta.

Heathen
March 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Well then they are retarded.

FRain
March 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I also listened to the bungie podcast, and will listen again tomorrow, but do not recall anything of the sort.

t3h m00kz
March 4th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Please do, I'd like confirmation on this.

Heathen
March 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I agree.

ExAm
March 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Well then they are retarded.
It makes no sense to keep in normal melee assassinations if you have a more elaborate, risky assassination system as an option. No one is going to choose the animated assassination, because it leaves them open. The whole point of it is that it leaves you open. You have a choice to make. Risky one hit kill, or plug 'em with bullets.

Teltaur
March 4th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Although, I could always be wrong on the source. It was a while ago that I heard it, it could've been in the GameInformer Reach podcast, or from something else. But for some reason, I distinctly remember something about seeing how the new assassination system would be accepted in the Multiplayer beta over the one-hit instakill.

t3h m00kz
March 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I'd imagine they're going to have the option, based on the earlier viddoc, where you hold it down to execute a more elaborate animation.

Kornman00
March 5th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Styled melee kills that finish probably have extra value in the overall scoring (and thus a medal for them too maybe) vs a simple spinal tap

Con
March 5th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I wonder if they've replaced the original assassination with this, so that a simple fast melee will do normal damage.

thehoodedsmack
March 5th, 2010, 07:37 AM
That punch in the trailer seemed to indicate assassinations from the front as well, so regular meleeing from behind may still work as an instant kill. I'd be baffled if they actually got rid of something integral to gameplay that's been around since Game 1.

Pooky
March 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM
It makes no sense to keep in normal melee assassinations if you have a more elaborate, risky assassination system as an option. No one is going to choose the animated assassination, because it leaves them open. The whole point of it is that it leaves you open. You have a choice to make. Risky one hit kill, or plug 'em with bullets.
^

Anyone remember spin assassinations in Halo PC? I used to be able to whore the shit out of that, made CQB pretty retarded. I'd much rather have a system like this than something as exploitable as the old one.

thehoodedsmack
March 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
The new system sounds just as, if not more, exploitable. The first problem that comes to mind is people waiting around corners to perform 1-hit kills. At least with the old system, you could attempt to outrun the effect. Even with the lunge effect, attackers could still miss, or you could turn around in a split second, and take regular melee damage.

What's wrong with this new system is that other people are taking control of your player. They're stopping you in your tracks, setting your animations, and offering no chance whatsoever. The old system, even if it had a flaw or two (keep in mind that whipping around at top speed isn't as effective on the 360), is still better for gameplay, and it would be extremely odd if they actually got rid of it in turn for this, and this only.

Hunter
March 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Bubble Sheild? There better be :) I like the look of it :P

You should be able to fight them off your back by hitting button combo's or something.

I did think of somethign else which was awesome, but forgot now after eading the rest of the posts >:( Damn my shit memory.

Kornman00
March 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
We're talking what's "wrong" with this system from a short trailer (with no FP views none-the-less), not from first hand experience.

Asses we are.

Rob Oplawar
March 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
We're talking what's "wrong" with this system from a short trailer (with no FP views none-the-less), not from first hand experience.

Asses we are.

^^^ guys.

Con
March 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Asses we are.
No, we're talking what's "wrong" with this system from a short trailer on a speculative basis, not assuming it's the exact system they'll be using.

We were left open to speculation and "what if", so I don't see what's wrong with discussing the possibilities.

k4is3rxkh40s
March 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
What's wrong with this new system is that other people are taking control of your player. They're stopping you in your tracks, setting your animations, and offering no chance whatsoever. The old system, even if it had a flaw or two (keep in mind that whipping around at top speed isn't as effective on the 360), is still better for gameplay, and it would be extremely odd if they actually got rid of it in turn for this, and this only.

I think you're gonna be dead anyways if they can get a hold of you and do an assassination. You're still probably gonna be able to miss it, maybe with a smaller hitbox, only if the target isn't moving past X speed, etc

sevlag
March 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
remember the assassination is supposedly going to work if the enemy DOESN'T notice you...

in other news:
has bungie declassified any new weapons from REACH?

Heathen
March 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM
A few unmentioned ones in the video. Also, any news on the mystery sound?

Hunter
March 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Mystery sound? Link? I mist that topic as usual.

Cagerrin
March 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
A few unmentioned ones in the video. Also, any news on the mystery sound?
According to this (http://blog.tiedtheleader.com/article/883/game-changer) trailer analysis(start at 1:00), it's the sound for the homing plasma cannon.

Con
March 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
That's a really good analysis. Man I'm super pumped for this game. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

FireDragon04
March 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
According to this (http://blog.tiedtheleader.com/article/883/game-changer) trailer analysis(start at 1:00), it's the sound for the homing plasma cannon.

Yeah thats a fantastic analysis, he mentioned some pretty damn interesting things i missed too...

Thought i'd embed it for people to quickly watch at their leisure too :iamafag:

xJKvdYB1t1w

Fantastic trailer btw.

Terry
March 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Oh wow, I didn't even notice they had official callouts for each map. This could be really useful :o

TVTyrant
March 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Perhaps the from the front assassination was only because the one being assassinated was already hurt? Thats the only way I could think of. Or its like being chainsawed in Gears...

Hunter
March 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Well he the guy getting own in the stomach had no weapon, :S

Also, if only Elites can jump then I am NOT going to be a happy bunny >:( They should give you the ability to be able to jump out of the way by default... like Gears of War. If they don't then I am going to slap Bungie accross the face with my cock!

And they shoudld allow Elites in normal team slayer, instead of just gametypes. They just get a dissadvantage because they a frigging HUGE! Which is cool.

FRain
March 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Uphill, Both Ways. (http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/0305/Uphill_Both_Ways_MPMadnessRemix.mp3)
To clarify, this was originally an ODST song that was remixed for this trailer.

jcap
March 5th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I am so fucking glad they brought back homing weapons. It was a sin to remove them in Halo 3. Also, the homing plasma cannon does look sweet.

Uphill, Both Ways. (http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/0305/Uphill_Both_Ways_MPMadnessRemix.mp3)
To clarify, this was originally an ODST song that was remixed for this trailer.
I think I read that this wasn't composed by Marty and wasn't to be included in ODST, but it was to be included as a bonus track on the soundtrack.

Also, I don't know about you, but to me the song doesn't sound that Halo. It sounds a lot more like a Half Life song.

Siliconmaster
March 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Also, I don't know about you, but to me the song doesn't sound that Halo. It sounds a lot more like a Half Life song.

I was just thinking that. Has that electric-ambient sound to it.

BobtheGreatII
March 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM
They said it was a remix by another guy. It doesn't sound like Halo because Marty wasn't the one who did the remix. lol.

FRain
March 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM
C Paul is the other audio engineer at Bungie. he composed this song and this song IS on the odst soundtrack in the suite "Office of Naval Intelligence" about 2 1/2 minutes in, just minus the new percussion, piano, and bass. Ivan Ives did the remix.

Kornman00
March 6th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I like the direction the Spartans vs Elites appear to be going. At least now in Team Swat (an Arena kind of game type) you won't have to worry about bitches of "oh but he's using an elite, his hitbox is diff!"

Heh, who knows, maybe the new Recon this time will be a powerup instead :-3. Man, that would drive all the little timmys crazy heheh

Heathen
March 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
used to tell kids I could get them recon if they gave me their password and email.

Kids are dumb.

Bloodraver
March 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
lol...

They actualy belived you...wow.

Heathen
March 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Lol, I would get so many emails "HEY I AM ON MY COUSINS PROFILE GET ME RECON OR GIVE IT BACK TO ME PLEASE MOM IS MAD"

Con
March 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I love that song, I always get shivers at 00:54.

DarkHalo003
March 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
If anything, the score reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts : Birth By Sleep trailer score. Absolutely awesome in my opinion.

Bloodraver
March 7th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I saw jet packs in the MP trailer

Futzy
March 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I saw jet packs in the MP trailer
Nah.

FRain
March 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
You're hallucinating.

Bloodraver
March 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
You're hallucinating.

I swear i saw this old news. this game looks to be exciting

Atty
March 10th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Reading through this thread is almost painful.

I look forward to a new Halo game and endless hours of fun and since I've had three games from Bungie so far that (despite whatever flaws they had) still gave me (as well as 80% of you idiots) endless hours of laughs, fun, etc, I'm sure to expect the same from this installment. I'll hold judgement on anything until the beta is released.

Kornman00
March 10th, 2010, 05:19 AM
While I agree with you Atty...

you're still a terrible "mod" :realsmug:

Timo
March 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM
why is he still a mod i just don't understand

paladin
March 10th, 2010, 06:06 AM
lynch mob

p0lar_bear
March 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
What do you guys think of cooldowns in general? I mostly just tolerate them. I understand their role in allowing instant, tactical access to an ability and then restricting that ability to prevent abuse, but it strikes me as being too contrived. You hit a button and then that button does nothing for X amount of seconds, where X increases proportionally to the usefulness of the ability. If you come upon a situation that you wuld need that ability before the cooldown is up, you'll naturally tend to just start tapping the button, muttering, "c'mon-c'mon-c'mon" and trying to will time to speed up, so you can use that ability again, in the nick of time. I just don't think that is a behavioral pattern that should be associated with playing a fun game.

I understand why they use it and I'm not saying I have a better solution, it's just that in my Bungie-worship days, if you had told me a future Halo game was going to have cooldowns, I'd have said, "No way, "Bungie will come up with a better idea that makes the very notion of cooldowns obselete." It's disappointing to see that my faith wouldn't have been rewarded.

If Bungie had a better system worked out, they would be using it. Then again, what system, exactly, is "better?" Even though ability cooldown systems encourage mashing a button/command when you can't use it, any limit on any ability whatsoever in a video game promotes annoyance. Case-in-point: ammunition and reloading. It would be fun to just fire your gun all day at your enemies without a care in the world, but when you throw down a layer of resource management on your weapons, then you will end up getting annoyed when you die when your mag runs empty, or you just spent your last shot. Nobody thinks about this, though, because ammo management just goes with guns.

When one's in their right mind and they can manage their resources effectively, then they're having fun. Once things start slipping and the button-mashing happens, they either need to learn how to manage better, or take a break if they're just tense.

Also, if only Elites can jump then I am NOT going to be a happy bunny >:( They should give you the ability to be able to jump out of the way by default... like Gears of War. If they don't then I am going to slap Bungie accross the face with my cock!

I hope you mean with the cooldown system in place; unlimited dodge rolls in Gears took the tactical-cover-based campaign and turned it into a "who can roll around like a retard while spamming the longshot/shotgun the best" pissing match in multiplayer. Not to mention it rendered all other weapons obsolete, except for MAYBE the Lancer's chainsaw in certain situations.

sevlag
March 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
with the cooldown system in place; unlimited dodge rolls in Gears took the tactical-cover-based campaign and turned it into a "who can roll around like a retard while spamming the longshot/shotgun the best" pissing match in multiplayer. Not to mention it rendered all other weapons obsolete, except for MAYBE the Lancer's chainsaw in certain situations.
more annoying than pistol whiping in gears?

I wonder HOW the camera will behave when the player rolls as its first person i wonder if it'll just jerk forward while your weapons disappear for the duration of the roll or will the camera roll WITH the player causing a small moment of disorientation when the rolls completed...

makes ya wonder

Siliconmaster
March 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
more annoying than pistol whiping in gears?

I wonder HOW the camera will behave when the player rolls as its first person i wonder if it'll just jerk forward while your weapons disappear for the duration of the roll or will the camera roll WITH the player causing a small moment of disorientation when the rolls completed...

makes ya wonder

Lol. Halo 1 bump possessing elites. So goddamned fun, and it used the "lunge forward" camera movement.

Atty
March 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I really don't understand why people seem to freak out so much about potential design flaws. We've got an entire beta process to make complaints and get anything the community feels needs changing changed and then there is the overwhelming fact that none of us really now anything official about the game other than its release dates (which could change as well.)

Rob Oplawar
March 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think "freak out" is the right phrase. We're a speculative bunch. Beyond that, we're a critical bunch. We make speculations, and if we don't like the implications of the speculations, we point out our criticisms, and announce that we hope the final game doesn't do whatever it is we don't like.

Warsaw
March 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
^This...and the same can be said for the comments in the DRM threads, too.

I just want to play the beta now. We've pretty much said all we can about Reach, so until we play it we can't make further speculations and/or wishful suggestions.

p0lar_bear
March 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM

makes ya wonder

Either way seems to work based on previous implementations I've seen; when you dive-rolled in the first-person VR modes in MGS2:Substance, the camera stayed pointed forward, but at Snake/Raiden's head level. Or, they could do it like Screw Attacking in Metroid Prime 2 and shift to a third-person perspective while the roll is executed.

PlasbianX
March 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Based on what I saw in the video, there isn't a cool down period. To me, it looks like its based around an infinitely replenishing meter that drains as you use it.

Say for example you have 100 pts of "fuel" for your equipment. Every set amount of seconds you use it, you burn a set amount of pts. Every few seconds you gain a point or so. So you wont ever have it for an infinite amount of time, but if you balance how often you use it, then you wont run out either.

So to me, it doesnt look like there are "cool downs" for the equipment. Or maybe im just blind.

sdavis117
March 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I would assume that equipment would work similarly to the Arbiter's cloak in Halo 2.

p0lar_bear
March 10th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Based on what I saw in the video, there isn't a cool down period. To me, it looks like its based around an infinitely replenishing meter that drains as you use it.

Say for example you have 100 pts of "fuel" for your equipment. Every set amount of seconds you use it, you burn a set amount of pts. Every few seconds you gain a point or so. So you wont ever have it for an infinite amount of time, but if you balance how often you use it, then you wont run out either.

So to me, it doesnt look like there are "cool downs" for the equipment. Or maybe im just blind.

That IS a cooldown; just another implementation of it. The first couple uses of it are essentially free, but if you don't wait, the next use will have a wait time. If you keep trying to use it, the wait time maximizes.

Heathen
March 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
That IS a cooldown

Oh, good. For a second, I was like...wait...isn't that what a cooldown time is? Have I not known what a cooldown time is all along?

Kornman00
March 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Well at least now you won't have people timing the respawn of power-up orbs. Though I winder if they'll still have those "custom" power-up orbs, or maybe custom armor abilities (would work with a loadout)?

Heathen
March 11th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I think orbs will still exist. Maybe not camo, but overshield?

sevlag
March 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
i liked the pickups, not so much in halo 3 as the round pickups were dull and boring, i hope they bring back the cube and pyramid to maybe as an egg or something

Kornman00
March 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
heh "pickups"

The power-up equipment models evolved with the engines and I think they fit, in their respected engines.

PlasbianX
March 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
That IS a cooldown; just another implementation of it. The first couple uses of it are essentially free, but if you don't wait, the next use will have a wait time. If you keep trying to use it, the wait time maximizes.

To me, I see a cool down as something where the moment you use it, no matter how long you use it whether it be a split second or 10 continuous seconds, you have to wait a set amount of time to be able to use it again.

Heathen
March 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM
too many mmo's plas

PlasbianX
March 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM
too many mmo's plas

Lineage 2, Perfect World, and now Aion.

NOT TOO MANY >:U

*goes back to playing Aion*

Hunter
March 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The one thing that bugged me with the pickup thingys is that they are the only unrealistic - In Halo terms because none of Halo's stuff is 100% realistic - as they are just floating mystical things Lol. They should be more of a device or something instead of magic.

But that said, they do look cool in Halo 3 :) ("Oh look, he's bumming of Halo 3 again!")

I actually never liked Halo 3 online gameplay tbqh, apart from Custom games due to the fun times with the engine physics ect...

Edit: Fix the fucking ninja tags dammit ^

paladin
March 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I still hope they have a map editor.

Heathen
March 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Lineage 2, Perfect World, and now Aion.

NOT TOO MANY >:U

*goes back to playing Aion*

Here's my list:

Atty
March 12th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I still hope they have a map editor.Forge? Or more extensive? And by that I mean actually useful to someone without hams in place of their hands and with an IQ above the amount of years they've had their XBL subscription.