PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

=sw=warlord
April 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Is it just me, or do the wings (if you can even call them that...stabilizers?) look like they're on adjustable joints? Maybe they move into the horizontal position when you get a certain height off the ground

If you look, the Banshee have had those in one form or another since halo 1, they just never actually served much use before.

Lateksi
April 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
At first I fucking hated the new look, now I love it. Though I'd like the wings longer and thinner.

Kornman00
April 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM
If you look, the Banshee have had those in one form or another since halo 1, they just never actually served much use before.
http://www.greene.k12.ia.us/wpdevelopment/fall2009/edebner/finalproject/banshee.png

no joints here

English Mobster
April 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
It looks like the bastard child of a Banshee and a Ghost.
Maybe it's the angle.

jcap
April 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM
The new look makes WAY more sense to me. I always wondered how those pairs of twigs/wings from the original games actually carried anything. Also, actual guns on the front! Woo!

The top... door, thing, does look a bit goofy though. Wonder why they de-smoothed it?
Well don't Banshees still use anti-gravity technology like the Ghost and literally every ship? My bet is that they are just stabilizers, like Kornman said.

The only thing confusing me is...where's the thrusters?

=sw=warlord
April 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM
no joints here
http://i42.tinypic.com/dbaeq.jpg

Delta4907
April 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
pic
He showed a screenshot of the Halo 3 banshee. I don't think you can compare it to Halo 1's banshee diffuse..

=sw=warlord
April 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
He showed a screenshot of the Halo 3 banshee. I don't think you can compare it to Halo 1's banshee diffuse..

Malloy
April 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Stfu before i mention 'water'.

I think the new 'old' banshee design is KICK ASS. Although i dont get it in the whole scheme of things... as time has illegedely progressed in the Halo-verse.... shits got alot more dumbed down over time.
Like all the halo reach assets are kick ass complicated detail-wise and Halo 1 is starting to look more 'nintendo' than a game set before its later release prequal.

Con
April 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Of course the Reach assets have more detail, they couldn't do that back in Halo 1. If they could have they would have. The covenant and human technology definitely looks like it progresses chronologically even if there were different engine limitations.

Good_Apollo
April 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Of course the Reach assets have more detail, they couldn't do that back in Halo 1. If they could have they would have. The covenant and human technology definitely looks like it progresses chronologically even if there were different engine limitations.Nah, it's mostly just excuses to make uneeded changes to good concepts (there's a difference between upgrading the Banshee graphically and changing it all together). I wouldn't be surprised if less than half the original team that created Halo 1 still works at Bungie. Probably just a bunch of fresh employees with big paychecks trying to figure out how to best appease 13 year old gamers with 'rad' new gear!

Then again, these arguments are just as fruitless as the ones between old Star Wars and new Star Wars, everyone just looks dumb in the end.

Warsaw
April 6th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Actually, a lot of the original team did leave Bungie after Halo 1's release. But still. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to change how something looks. I think the new AR, even though it is still technically an MA5B (M37 is its Army name), looks better. Sometimes they do good on the revamp, sometimes not so good. It looks to me like they've really trimmed up the Mk. V armour since the VGA trailer, and it looks good.

Point being, retcon is not always bad.

Kornman00
April 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Look at the Grizzled Ancients of the Meet the Team. At lot of them still work there. However, most are tending to the Next Project.

Pooky
April 7th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Of course the Reach assets have more detail, they couldn't do that back in Halo 1. If they could have they would have. The covenant and human technology definitely looks like it progresses chronologically even if there were different engine limitations.

What I think is funny is how the weapons technology steadily moves backwards as the series progresses. On the human side for example, there's the shotgun. In Halo 1, it could 1 shot people at a considerable range. In Halo 2 the 1 shot kill range was toned down quite a bit, but you could still 2 shot people from a good distance. In Halo 3, the shotgun can 2 shot people from 3 inches away and 1 shot them if you're shoving it down their throat.

p0lar_bear
April 7th, 2010, 02:44 AM
All in the name of game "balance" (meaning if it's not the all-purpose headshot machine, nerf the fuck out of it so the MLG kids won't cry about it).

Inferno
April 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
What I think is funny is how the weapons technology steadily moves backwards as the series progresses. On the human side for example, there's the shotgun. In Halo 1, it could 1 shot people at a considerable range. In Halo 2 the 1 shot kill range was toned down quite a bit, but you could still 2 shot people from a good distance. In Halo 3, the shotgun can 2 shot people from 3 inches away and 1 shot them if you're shoving it down their throat.

Actually the Halo 3 shotgun is way better than the Halo 2 shotgun.

I can out BR kids in halo 2 who are point blank with the shotgun. It's pretty bad.

flibitijibibo
April 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, iIrc the Halo 3 shotgun was pretty good, even on a bad connection. The Halo 2 shotgun felt like you were firing blanks.

Pooky
April 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Maybe to you kiddies, but I always felt like it was the other way around vOv

Warsaw
April 7th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I raped with the Halo 2 shotgun. The Halo 3 one was damn near useless because you had to shove it in your opponent's eye socket for it to mean anything at all...and if he/she had a hammer, you were fucked anyways.

sevlag
April 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I raped with the Halo 2 shotgun. The Halo 3 one was damn near useless because you had to shove it in your opponent's eye socket for it to mean anything at all...and if he/she had a hammer, you were fucked anyways.
yep

Heathen
April 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, who would have guessed that a shotgun is only effective at close range?

Who would have guessed that when confronted by an opponent with a MUCH better close range weapon, the shotgun would lose?

:allears:

Champ
April 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Don't know if you guys have seen this yet or not. But here's an article talking about the upcoming beta and beta maps.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082381p1.html

Cagerrin
April 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
>Swordbase, described as the child of Prisoner and Boarding Action

I fucking came.

annihilation
April 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
child of Prisoner

That's it, I'm buying it.

TeeKup
April 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, who would have guessed that a shotgun is only effective at close range?

Who would have guessed that when confronted by an opponent with a MUCH better close range weapon, the shotgun would lose?

:allears:

Typically the average range of a shotgun is around 40-50 yards. For some odd reason or another video game developers (and some other misinformed individuals) seem to get the idea that shotguns are only effective for a good 5 feet. That really annoys me because that's completely and totally wrong.

thehoodedsmack
April 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Typically the average range of a shotgun is around 40-50 yards. For some odd reason or another video game developers (and some other misinformed individuals) seem to get the idea that shotguns are only effective for a good 5 feet. That really annoys me because that's completely and totally wrong.

It's in the best interest of gameplay that powerful weapons have their shortcomings. I'm sure we're all well aware that video games are no place for realism.

Dwood
April 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
It's in the best interest of gameplay that powerful weapons have their shortcomings. I'm sure we're all well aware that video games are no place for realism.

It's worse when Video games attempt to be even moderately realistic, and then use the "we're not realistic" excuse when they get it completely wrong. The fact that the game is close combat for most of the time is extremely unrealistic, and any attempts at being realistic are ludicrous. Not that what I'm saying matters.

Either way, thanks for reminding me of something when I get my tagset ready for my next project Teekup.

flibitijibibo
April 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Agreeing with the three above posts. My question to the "powerful weapons have limits" thing though: Couldn't the shotgun just be a rare item like the rockets/stuff like that? Sure, it may not feel right after 10+ years of the shotgun being ranked with the normal stuff, but still.

Then again, like Dwood said, they can just admit that their game is unrealistic and be done with this stupid industry-ruining "HURR REALISTIC" idea and finally have a reason to be creative again.

Kornman00
April 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Typically the average range of a shotgun is around 40-50 yards. For some odd reason or another video game developers (and some other misinformed individuals) seem to get the idea that shotguns are only effective for a good 5 feet.
Don't mean to get offtopic, but Just Cause 2 seems to acknowledge that 40-50 yards. The damn AI EATS my fucking health with shotguns, even when far away. Makes me want to cry

Also, if they wanted they could just as easily write off saying that some kind of round was used which gives it more instant UMPH! but at the sacrifice of range. That and they said that in previous games (or was it just Halo2 or 3?) the projectiles sometimes went outside the reticule? Something which DOESN'T happen in Reach.

In the end: artistic liberties.

Dwood
April 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Don't mean to get offtopic, but Just Cause 2 seems to acknowledge that 40-50 yards. The damn AI EATS my fucking health with shotguns, even when far away. Makes me want to cry

Also, if they wanted they could just as easily write off saying that some kind of round was used which gives it more instant UMPH! but at the sacrifice of range. That and they said that in previous games (or was it just Halo2 or 3?) the projectiles sometimes went outside the reticule? Something which DOESN'T happen in Reach.

Only continuing this because there's nothing else to talk about.... I know it's like the water + gravity in vidya game argument but i'm bored. :P

Read only if you want to knwo the effect of Water and Gravity in a video game

Yeah but that explanation would be bunk because there's no real way to transfer power/force without transferring speed and size. I'd buy the "UMPH" argument if they used the "NEW TECH" argument but currently they're trying to explain human weapon behavior based on already existing tech. With already existing tech you'd have to basically have hollow bbs for that to work, which at that point there's nothing out of that because they're so light they'd do no damage or they'd go MUCH farther than 5 feet.

Artistic Liberties my rear end. If there were artistic Liberties the UNSC would have destroyed a covenant cruiser by repurposing their antigravity mechanisms.

annihilation
April 8th, 2010, 05:32 PM
God, the shotgun in Halo 3 was just terrible.
It took about 2 hits to kill someone at close range.
Even against The Flood and they've always been about a 1 hit kill at close range.

And on top of that the H3 shotgun looked retarded.

Kornman00
April 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Artistic liberties to tell the story they came up with :/. I mean, come on, it's a game. Look at some of the explosions and effects used in Hollywood movies. It can be no different there.

Neither medium are true reality and thus no one should hold them to any such standards such as reality.

Warsaw
April 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM

This.

What I was saying was just that I felt like the shotgun in Halo 3 had no merits. It was bad at medium range, and almost equally bad at point-blank. I just hope whatever they do in Halo: Reach, it maintains a useful position in the weapons lineup instead of being completely cast to the wayside in favour of the Hammer and the Sword. Because bullets are cooler. :D

FireDragon04
April 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Ld1dk5xtJsU

Heathen
April 9th, 2010, 03:34 PM
you obviously know nothing about shotguns in videogames. They realized how stupid it was to have a shotgun be able to 2 shot people from a good distance, so they toned it down for balance.

I mean shit, they have nukes in halo's story, but you don't use them in the game because that would be boring. I too prefer the halo 2 shotgun over the nerfed one. I was just defending a developers opinion. I was insisting that gameplay is better than realism. Realistically, a charged plasma pistol would fuck you up something horrible, and that would be boring.

Pooky
April 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
you obviously know nothing about shotguns in videogames. They realized how stupid it was to have a shotgun be able to 2 shot people from a good distance, so they toned it down for balance.

I mean shit, they have nukes in halo's story, but you don't use them in the game because that would be boring. I too prefer the halo 2 shotgun over the nerfed one. I was just defending a developers opinion. I was insisting that gameplay is better than realism. Realistically, a charged plasma pistol would fuck you up something horrible, and that would be boring.

Yeah shotguns being useful is totally stupid, every weapon should be helpless against the BR from 5 feet away good idea

p.s. way to get mad over rep

sevlag
April 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM
so the focus rifle...thoughts on that?

annihilation
April 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM

It looks awesome.
It's a battle sniper.

FRain
April 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah shotguns being useful is totally stupid, every weapon should be helpless against the BR from 5 feet away good idea

PROTIP: Armor Lock

Atty
April 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
To the kids arguig about Halo 2 vs Halo 3 shotgun. Halo 2 was host dependent, good connection or host gave you incredible shotgun ability and Halo 3 is server side so everyone can use it the same way.

Cagerrin
April 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
kick-ass.

everything else(except the plasma repeater), suck-ass.

Inferno
April 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
But 99% of the kills you got in Halo 3 were AR + Melee so the shotgun was always win.

And shotgun > sword and hammer.

sevlag
April 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM
kick-ass.

everything else(except the plasma repeater), suck-ass.is the repeater replacing the plasma rifle?

also anyone else notice the elites are wielding their weapons with BOTH hands, not just the larger ones

Siliconmaster
April 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
is the repeater replacing the plasma rifle?

also anyone else notice the elites are wielding their weapons with BOTH hands, not just the larger ones

In multiplayer, yes, because they wanted the elites to have a more powerful AR equivalent. In SP the plasma rifle will still be there.

sevlag
April 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
In multiplayer, yes, because they wanted the elites to have a more powerful AR equivalent. In SP the plasma rifle will still be there.

i see, so plasma rifle in SP and Repeater in MP?

Warsaw
April 10th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'm gonna be whoring the Plasma repeater in multiplayer...even as a Spartan.

sevlag
April 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM

have fun, the AR looks good to me, as long as there is no longer any BR spam I'm ok

annihilation
April 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Nobody has any comments on the pistol?

t3h m00kz
April 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, surprised noticed nobody said anything. According to one of the latest updates, it zooms, kills in 5 shots, and headshots.

TeeKup
April 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Hell yes. _o/

FRain
April 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Also, it shoots quickly, but (apparently) goes real squirrelly if you rapid-fire it.

English Mobster
April 10th, 2010, 11:16 PM
5sk supremacy~

Warsaw
April 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM
\o_

I think my primary combo will be AR/Plasma Repeater and the Pistol...I just roll well with that loadout, always have (through all Halos where it has been available). If not, then it's going to be DMR and Shotgun.

sevlag
April 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM
really looking forward to S v E gametype

wonder what the elite's assasination animations look like if they even have any

ICEE
April 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
im interested in how the plasma repeater will play out. If I like it, it will probably be my main weapon. If I don't, DMR mb. anything to avoid looking at that ugly ar.

Heathen
April 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM

rep lol, idc.

It was what it said, not the little green points.

I see what you're saying, but balance is way more important than realism. Most of these guns would destroy most of the other guns realistically, but that isn't fun. In videogames, shotguns are well known as mostly useless at long range. They realized this and shortened its range. Its simple balancing.

E: Argh, yes. The plasma repeater looks like it would be some fun. I like the idea of having to vent it to make it fire rapidly again.

Hunter
April 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Take a look at shotguns on Mw2, damn.

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
http://xenon7.net/xenon_reach/DSC00408.JPG
http://xenon7.net/xenon_reach/DSC00409.JPG
http://xenon7.net/xenon_reach/DSC00410.JPG

t3h m00kz
April 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
what kind of dumb ass thinks it's a great idea to leak shit, considering the potential consequences

like, really

CodeBrain
April 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
If I recall this is the same guy who decided to "leak" the Halo 3 ODST Main menu, which turned out to be fake.

FRain
April 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
It's probably a leak. But that still doesn't really show us anything.

Saggy
April 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
If I recall this is the same guy who decided to "leak" the Halo 3 ODST Main menu, which turned out to be fake.
No, that was CaLLMeZeNy.

Heathen
April 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I doubt its fake. The background image for the main menu is a static image, which is not in bungie's usual way of doing things. Especially an image depicting so much motion.

Warsaw
April 11th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Second picture from top:

Am I the only one who noted the Metroid-like colours and vague shape on the armour?

Dwood
April 12th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Colors do remind me of metroid, but def not the shape of anything but his visor.

jcap
April 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
It's real. :|

jcap
April 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Also,
http://xenon7.net/xenon_reach/DSC00412.JPG

Limited
April 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Its Detox, I'm pretty sure its real....wheres some gameplay footage when you need it!

jcap
April 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Its Detox, I'm pretty sure its real....wheres some gameplay footage when you need it!Well you really don't need it.

ICEE
April 12th, 2010, 10:04 PM
They've come up with all these intricate details for the weapons. But none of it is different enough to require a new set of FP animations.

yay

Warsaw
April 12th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Shotgun looks like a fucking cannon...I like it.

Not digging the HUD too much though. I hope they don't intend for the number overlap on the icons to stay, because it's hideous. It all seems squished together haphazardly (which it very well may be).

Rob Oplawar
April 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Not to be overly critical, but
http://xenon7.net/xenon_reach/DSC00412.JPG
If somebody posted that untextured BSP model as a WIP, I'd have quite a lot of crit for it... :/

t3h m00kz
April 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM
u bein overly critical

Again, why the fuck would anyone leak this shit, fucking stupid ass risking his job and any chance of working in the game industry

flibitijibibo
April 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
This is probably a dumb question, especially considering what measures are taken after the HL2 leak, but...

Is is possible that the leak wasn't done by an employee? You seem like you know a lot about this kind of thing?

t3h m00kz
April 13th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I'd assume that nobody but a Microsoft or Bungie employee would have access to this kind of stuff (I'm not sure if there are special cases for close relatives or not, but I wouldn't be surprised). Leaking it would be a violation of the Non-Disclosure agreement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement), which results in termination, and possibly a fine. It also looks really bad on their record, and pretty much screws their chance at getting a job in a related field. You leak, you lose your job and can never work there again.

The lesson here, DON'T FUCKING LEAK IF YOU'RE WORKING IN THE GAME INDUSTRY

paladin
April 13th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I got to see some pretty cool environment and character setup today, no thanks to a special someone.

Kornman00
April 13th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'll go so far as to say that this wasn't leaked by a pre-alpha member. Further more, this isn't a "leak" which people have grown to know. They're not posting this on the interwebs for people to get hot and heavy off of (I'm not so sure about the jester kid though, but he was necessity at the time). Also, it isn't the same exact beta that is suppose to go out to everyone come the 3rd.

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Jester doesn't have a devkit, and to my knowledge, doesn't work for M$.
He's just a badkid with an unbannable jtag, (that got banned after the leak, atleast his gt was banned, that is)

Kornman00
April 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I really wish Detox would have said no to his begging of posting pictures and a video :|. If you're going to do crap like this, at least try to be somewhat respectful. At least jester hasn't gone rouge and put it on the interwebs...well yet anyway. Who knows with these kids.

sevlag
April 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM
so thoughts about the "chess" feature

annihilation
April 13th, 2010, 10:06 AM
so thoughts about the "chess" feature

Chess feature?

Kornman00
April 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I think he's referring to the april fool's vidoc

Choking Victim
April 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I really wish Detox would have said no to his begging of posting pictures and a video :|. If you're going to do crap like this, at least try to be somewhat respectful. At least jester hasn't gone rouge and put it on the interwebs...well yet anyway. Who knows with these kids.
I'm personally not surprised. What makes it funnier is the fact that during h3 mappack testing, detox was whining about people leaking pictures of sandbox from partner net. Hypocritical, no?

sevlag
April 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I think he's referring to the april fool's vidoc
oh so that was a joke, would have been funny to actually play that

I don't get on often so i tend to just check B updates when i can and forget to look at the dates

annihilation
April 13th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I would have pwnd everyone at chess.
Damn Bungay for participating in april fools.

sevlag
April 13th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I would have pwnd everyone at chess.
Damn Bungay for participating in april fools.
except me, you could probably beat "the cow" though, if her spelling is an indicator she is sorta mindless

annihilation
April 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Well, if Reach had chess then we could see.

And since they have all these new polygons to work with I would hope they would do something special with Forge. (I'm assuming it will have Forge)
Maybe something like AI placement. That would be awesome.

Looks like they improved the shotguns range at least.

Kornman00
April 14th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I highly doubt Reach's forge will have anything relating to AI.

I'm personally not surprised. What makes it funnier is the fact that during h3 mappack testing, detox was whining about people leaking pictures of sandbox from partner net. Hypocritical, no?
Jester was an ugly truth he had to face at the time in order to come full circle in getting that Reach beta (actual beta; not delta). It was either play along with Jester's whining or the potential of having him go rouge and put this shit on the internet. Politics. In the end, I'd rather see leaked images than a leaked game. If I didn't have to choose, I'd rather just see the public Beta when it's due to come out, but we're not in a perfect world.

Futzy
April 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3178811

Pooky
April 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
rep lol, idc.

It was what it said, not the little green points.

I see what you're saying, but balance is way more important than realism. Most of these guns would destroy most of the other guns realistically, but that isn't fun. In videogames, shotguns are well known as mostly useless at long range. They realized this and shortened its range. Its simple balancing.

E: Argh, yes. The plasma repeater looks like it would be some fun. I like the idea of having to vent it to make it fire rapidly again.

I'm not arguing for realism, I'm arguing for game balance. I don't think the shotgun having its balls crushed to the point where it can only work as a shitty corner camping weapon constitutes any sort of balance. Keep in mind that the shotgun doesn't necessarily have to instantly kill people out to its maximum effective range, but if it could at least hit people from more than 3 feet away, it would be a much more enjoyable and versatile weapon to use.

Hunter
April 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I hope they fix the node point for the weapon on back if the player has a jetpack, because that will bug me, and check the guy at the back thinking he is cool by floating indoors Lol.
http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/0/4/lg/545.jpg

And do the weapons get extra damage if they are dropped and picked up or sumthing? The AR in this picture has burns and scratches on the side of it and I havn't seen them in another picutres.
http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/0/4/lg/547.jpg

That is some crazy stretching of metal ... I have watched tutorials on biped rigging so why not deselect the metalic parts when rigging... they they will just move and not morph.
http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/0/4/lg/542.jpg

I do like how the armor actually looks more like metal now instead of plastic.

Heathen
April 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
oh so that was a joke, would have been funny to actually play that

I don't get on often so i tend to just check B updates when i can and forget to look at the dates
Well they did have a map for it, so I dont doubt that the room was hidden in an existing map and can be played with special settings. It would be nice.

I'm not arguing for realism, I'm arguing for game balance. I don't think the shotgun having its balls crushed to the point where it can only work as a shitty corner camping weapon constitutes any sort of balance. Keep in mind that the shotgun doesn't necessarily have to instantly kill people out to its maximum effective range, but if it could at least hit people from more than 3 feet away, it would be a much more enjoyable and versatile weapon to use.
You do make a very good point.

CodeBrain
April 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Well they did have a map for it, so I dont doubt that the room was hidden in an existing map and can be played with special settings. It would be nice.

If you watched FireDragon's video on the Halo Reach Multiplayer Trailer you would think Bungie wouldn't make a completely new map just for April Fools, it looks more like the area was done in a unavailable place to players that is going to be on the main Halo Reach Disc.

Futzy
April 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
If you watched FireDragon's video on the Halo Reach Multiplayer Trailer you would think Bungie wouldn't make a completely new map just for April Fools, it looks more like the area was done in a unavailable place to players that is going to be on the main Halo Reach Disc.
I bet its reach's Foundry.

Heathen
April 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM

thaaats...pretty much what I said...

CodeBrain
April 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM
thaaats...pretty much what I said...

Sorry, I misread the part I quoted as you saying they made a completely new map just for the april fools vidoc. Sorry Dx

Warsaw
April 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I hope they fix the node point for the weapon on back if the player has a jetpack, because that will bug me, and check the guy at the back thinking he is cool by floating indoors Lol.

And do the weapons get extra damage if they are dropped and picked up or sumthing? The AR in this picture has burns and scratches on the side of it and I havn't seen them in another picutres.

That is some crazy stretching of metal ... I have watched tutorials on biped rigging so why not deselect the metalic parts when rigging... they they will just move and not morph.

Totally diggin' it. They don't look like COG soldiers anymore! Also, new shield effect is awesome, and so is the LCD on the AR. HUD still sucks though.

sevlag
April 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM
so i'm guessing the beam rifle won't be in reach

Futzy
April 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
so i'm guessing the beam rifle won't be in reach
Thats the energy rifle, I think its called. It's like a super sentinel beam instead of a single shot sniper

Sever
April 15th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Focus Rifle. Basically, they're wrapping the Beam Rifle and Sentinel Beam into one. I just wonder what its effectiveness against vehicular targets is. I'd say the best design would have it rip through an armored target's shields, while still requiring direct impact to do health damage, just like the H3 Sentinel Beam, making it more of a team/combo anti-armor weapon.

annihilation
April 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/23/wtfammometer.jpg

Am I missing something?
Why is it like that?

thehoodedsmack
April 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe it goes down vertically now? Check the videos for an AR firing, and see if it shows up.

jcap
April 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/23/wtfammometer.jpg

I'm I missing something?
Why is it like that?
It goes down vertically now. It's really stupid. Much like the entire HUD.

I hate this dumb vertical theme they are giving the HUD, especially with the grenades.

Disaster
April 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
The entire HUD is horrible. The person who designed it needs to be fired.

flibitijibibo
April 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
It goes down... vertically? Weird.

I also wonder why they're insistent on having the shields and health be centered like that. The shield isn't so bad, but the health system (as seen in ODST) starts to feel misleading reeeeal quick.

These things, like the "class" system, don't make the game bad though. Just throwing that out there now. It's just... weird.

Cagerrin
April 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
bungie bungie bungie

asymmetrical HUDs are NOT BAD

English Mobster
April 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I believe that might just be the muzzle flash from the rifle illuminating the finer details of the texture. I could be talking out my ass, though. Who knows?

I believe Bungie said they fixed that bug in one of their Weekly Updates a few weeks ago. I'm assuming the 1up article was playing the Beta build (the actual Beta, not the public Delta).

dot

Limited
April 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that AR looks terrible? Texture is awful. I dont like the new armor much, I loved it shiney.

sevlag
April 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM
i just hope this AR sounds less wimpy than the H3 one

annihilation
April 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that AR looks terrible? Texture is awful. I dont like the new armor much, I loved it shiney.

Shiney armor was 4 games ago.
And the AR skin does infact look horrid. I can clearly see where they fucked up the bump maps.

Saggy
April 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3923/comparison.png

Honestly, I think I like the Assault Rifle better than in Halo 3, but that's just me.

Sasc
April 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I agree I think it looks quite good.

Kornman00
April 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM
It goes down vertically now. It's really stupid. Much like the entire HUD.

I hate this dumb vertical theme they are giving the HUD, especially with the grenades.
While at first glance this all may seem silly, I'm pretty sure they didn't do any of this without prior user research.

Like most of the stuff, we're basing our thoughts on static imagrey and short gameplay clips. However, some of this stuff actually needs to be played before a thoughtful and accurate critique can be given. You really have to think how your mind may be working when you're actually In The Shit. Statistically, it may have been proven that players responded more to data represented more in "progress bar" like interfaces.

For the ammo counter, it visually shows your overall range to the end. Yes, when it did in a horizontal manner it gave the same end result, but you really have to think about this in a user's experience as they're in combat and there are dozens of things they're having to think about. Visual ques can be mentally expensive if not executed right. The more natural it is for your brain to pick up a specific pattern, especially when it is in the peripheral range, the faster it is for you to execute and concentrate on other actions.

For the shield and IIRC, health bars, it may sound like it goes against the possible reason of the ammo counter but again, think about its overall position on the HUD and what it means for you to need to glance at it. It's in the top middle of your screen. Both eyes can and have the same sight on it. Using a symmetrical layout could have perhaps scored higher when researching user interaction due to the fact that your eyes are too in the middle of your head and symmetrical.

While with the ammo counter, only one eye should be used with picking up on information it needs only one direction. However, people have dominate eyes and thus it could be easier to have a symmetrical layout with the health bar to account for any dominate eye.

Nothing should be seriously judged at a glance as you're just leaving it up to the cover of a book. Yes it's your first response just like how you act when first meeting someone, but without actual interaction with that person, you really have no working knowledge of who and what they really are, or in the the HUD's case, how it really may feel like it is actually less there using these new forms of representation.

E: They've shown their "user experience" labs before. I'm pretty sure they have some high tech shit at their disposal. They could easily have cameras that monitor the player's eye and head movements, plus their behavoiral gestures to gather information that a player can't verbally put "into words" about their experience.

jcap
April 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
The shield is the worst because it is incredibly misleading. I don't care about it's placement, since it was good in Halo 3 when they did it properly. However, in ODST it SUCKS because it decreases from both sides to the middle.

Oh, and the grenade placement just sucks. They should be horizontal, not vertical. The vertical stacking has no flow to it and the blank space to the left of the grenades is a waste.

FRain
April 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Really? I thought it was retarded like that because it looked like the armor just came off an assembly line.

Terry
April 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
The only thing that bothers me is that some of the ground textures are tiled, stretched, or need anisotropic filtering in some cases.
Also the jaggies. :(

I don't really like how the shield looks at all with the damage being depleted from both sides rather than one. I think its one of those things they should have left unchanged.

Hunter
April 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I like the new AR, especially the display as it looks a tad more real or attached to the weapon, if you get me.

sevlag
April 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I like the new AR, especially the display as it looks a tad more real or attached to the weapon, if you get me.
does look more attached actually

Needles
April 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
The assault rifle is interesting, I wish they would go for more of the look it had in halo 1 with 60 rounds though.

Warsaw
April 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I think they realised that 60 rounds in the AR is completely bonkers and they recognised the complaints made about the Halo 1 version where it behaved too much like an SMG and not enough like an assault rifle.

sevlag
April 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
in related news: looks like this is joseph staten's last go as the grunt voice

hope these grunts are as comical

Warsaw
April 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
One can always do some pitch-altering to get the voice. Granted, it won't be the original anymore, but it's not much to fret over.

flibitijibibo
April 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Oh Christ, it would be a nightmare to edit the pitches to sound like Staten's grunt. The pitch itself would technically be easy, but to have the same timbre/overtones and not have it with that "Foamy the Squirrel" feel would be nearly impossible.

Siliconmaster
April 16th, 2010, 08:06 PM
True, but it's the last time he's being a grunt because it's the last time there are grunts. :P So I don't think we have to worry about grunts not sounding like Joseph Staten.

t3h m00kz
April 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
the halo 3 assault rifle looks like you're holding a fish

Higuy
April 16th, 2010, 10:53 PM

Am I the only one that thinks (with the above pictures shown) that the environments look quite plain and boring unlike most of Halo 3's indoor maps?

Warsaw
April 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Utilitarian human architecture doesn't tend to be that detailed...

Higuy
April 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Well, go back to like, Orbital. It was way more detailed then these levels imo.
(Also im not really talking about the 2nd pic, but the other ones. They look bland)

Atty
April 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I want detail, scenery, etc, I hate how bland Halo is.

Rob Oplawar
April 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM
It is a beta, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Same goes for HUD, shaders, lighting, gametypes, audio...

e: but yeah, hypothetically, if the final version looks like those screens of Sword Base, I'll be disappointed. Here's hoping they continue to improve these things.

ee: Powerhouse is looking great. :P

eee: Dang, though, the geometry in the atrium of Sword Base looks like the designer was just learning the extrude and chamfer tools. I can't detect any sensible flow to the design, and no visually interesting complexity. Just a bunch of haphazard angles like somebody trying and failing to do a forerunner interior.

e^4: I'm holding onto the idea that there's some spoiler they're not ready to reveal yet contained in the scenery around the atrium, like some storyline object in the skybox or something, prompting them to use a placeholder version for the beta.

keep fucking e-ing: yeah, seriously, the geometry of the atrium is so out of whack with everything else I've seen that it's gotta be placeholder.

t3h m00kz
April 17th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Ugh, everyone's complaint is about the graphics, which honestly, while important, are nowhere near as permanent and defining as the gameplay. While you're playing a game you don't stop and go "Oh man let's look at every single pixel on this texture, let's look at the UVs in this tiny corner over here," you're freaking killing people.

I mean sure, the animations and stuff really add that feel of "Man my bullet just fucked that dude up" and the graphics go "Wow this freaking gun is bad ass" but over time it's not going to matter as much.

The gameplay seems to be going in a much different direction. I'd say let's see how that pans out before we decide this game sucks.

FireDragon04
April 17th, 2010, 06:10 AM
The gametrailers GTTV episode of reach was AWESOME!

Go check it out if you haven't: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/89?ep=89

All i have to say is:
http://i44.tinypic.com/mwtxfd.jpg

sevlag
April 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM
The gametrailers GTTV episode of reach was AWESOME!

Go check it out if you haven't: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/89?ep=89

All i have to say is:
http://i44.tinypic.com/mwtxfd.jpgi wonder if thats just the last stage and it'll look sorta like what the honour guard does in halo wars when it delivers the killing blow to an enemy unit

teh lag
April 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM
:\

The FP animations bother me SO MUCH. Pistol and shotgun in particular.

FireDragon04
April 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Shotgun animation bothered me more than the pistols. The shotguns animation to me made it seem weak, it didn't have any of the kick we're use to... again i guess we'll have to wait and see. I think the game is looking good but maybe it was just the shots on GTTV it seemed extremely fast gameplay - even in comparison to previous halo's...i will hold out judgement for the beta.

http://i44.tinypic.com/mwtxfd.jpg

i wonder if thats just the last stage and it'll look sorta like what the honour guard does in halo wars when it delivers the killing blow to an enemy unit

I'm pretty sure it is the latter half of the animation for the assassination, but what i noticed more is that the elite is using a plasma dagger attached to his wrist... its like a slim energy sword.

Sasc
April 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
:\

The FP animations bother me SO MUCH. Pistol and shotgun in particular.

I don't like them either, especially the pistol. The animations just looks so fake and have a kind of "animated cartoony" feel to them if that makes any sense. I felt the same way about some of Halo 3's animations too.

Did anyone notice the health pack on the left side of this (http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/0/4/lg/545.jpg) pic? It's now grey, but it's difficult to tell if it has the same size proportions as Halo 1's. I also hope that the weapons don't just go straight through the jetpack like they do in that pic.

FireDragon04
April 17th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Air Assassinations anyone?

http://files.bungie.org/onthewingsoflove.gif (http://downloads.bungie.net/videos/onthewingsoflove.mov)
^^Give it time to load.
Plus: Click the image for a larger .mov turnaround version.

Terry
April 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Ugh, everyone's complaint is about the graphics, which honestly, while important, are nowhere near as permanent and defining as the gameplay. While you're playing a game you don't stop and go "Oh man let's look at every single pixel on this texture, let's look at the UVs in this tiny corner over here," you're freaking killing people.

I mean sure, the animations and stuff really add that feel of "Man my bullet just fucked that dude up" and the graphics go "Wow this freaking gun is bad ass" but over time it's not going to matter as much.

The gameplay seems to be going in a much different direction. I'd say let's see how that pans out before we decide this game sucks.

The reason why, is because its hard to tell anything about gameplay until you play it. It would make sense that most of the comments would be about what you see in the video.

And really, the reason why some people are so hung up about the graphics is because of how much Bungie was promoting it. It's still not even quite at the level of the Halo 3 E3 trailer in my opinon.

Also, I have to agree that those pistol and shotgun animations made me cringe. The grenade throwing animation also looks amazingly awkward.

t3h m00kz
April 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Well, okay.

I do have to say though, difference is, the Halo 3 E3 trailer was a lie. The Halo 2 E32003 trailer was a lie. Both of them oversold the graphics, and neither represented how the graphics in the final game looked and Bungie said, "This is the engine, this is how it's going to look!" (which they literally said for the Halo 3 one) when, in reality, the final game was much more dull and not nearly as polished. So really, you're comparing the in-game graphics of Reach to things that didn't even make the final cut, likely due to performance issues or something similar.

Halo 2:

Trailer
http://www.dvdexchange-online.co.uk/Game_News/HALO_2/halo2E3_03.jpg
Actual
http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/halo2_550_screenshot.jpg

Halo 3:

Trailer
http://cache.kotaku.com/images/2006/05/h3_e32006_ChiefIntro.jpg
Actual
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/boysofsheahem/cover%20art/37818996-Full2.png

Halo Reach:

Trailer
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X1IWXuEbgXI/SzBWwSx6HiI/AAAAAAAAB64/POSx8zjUamc/s1600/halo+reach+hi+definition+trailer+shot.jpg
Actual
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1063481/halo-reach-20100125051700045_640w.jpg

So far, the Reach announcement trailer has been about looking about as good as the game itself, and I feel much less lied to.

Warsaw
April 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Oh god, don't remind me about the Halo 3 Teaser/Release disparity...it was downright awful.

p0lar_bear
April 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I think that Bungie wasn't exactly lying about how H3 was the engine and that's how it was gonna look. Of course they gussied up the Chief for the trailer, but when it came to game time, they undoubtedly had to remove all the speshul effects and high-res-ness for performance reasons, but if they still had that model set up and they threw it in somewhere, it would probably look the same. In Halo 2's case, that was an outright lie; the engine you see there was scrapped entirely.

t3h m00kz
April 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, Halo 3 did use pretty much the same engine as the trailer, so it wasn't a TOTAL lie, though it was pretty discrepant.

Malloy
April 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
@ the whole HUD shitfest...

The HUD is fine... ODST is fine. @ Jcap... 'misleading' is a variable word. Its assuming that the user 'player' isnt bellow a certain standard of intelligence to use it. (not mocking... just making a point). The ammo hud suits its needs whether the bullets are vertical or horizontal.

Warsaw
April 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'm concerned more about how it looks more so than how it works...the numerals overlapping the icons is just plain ugly.

Also, p0lar, I think they could have gotten away with the Chief looking like that, sans real-time-reflections in the visor and at a lower resolution. Plastic MC just looks terrible.

As for Halo 2...when I played it, I thought it looked better than the E3 '03 trailer. Lips were synced, lighting was better, and on my 480i TV, I couldn't notice the low resolution textures. I'd go so far as to say that Halo 2 was the best-looking game on the original XBOX, period. Nobody else came close.

t3h m00kz
April 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Halo 2 looked pretty damn good, but I wouldn't say it was the best. Some of the face models were horrible (The "We're Drifting" guy in Delta Halo is a good example). Doom 3, Unreal Championship 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 looked better in my opinion. Halo 2 did some things good, other things not so great, and same with the other games.

Sasc
April 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Personally, I was never a big fan of the bump-mapping in Halo 2. I didn't think they looked as good as in Halo 1. I did like the bloom effect though, and that environments were much more detailed.

I think that the HUD looks good. I do think they will change the vertical grenade numbering though, it doesn't look quite right the way it is currently. It's not easy to see the number at a glance, especially when it's showing 1 nade.

PlasbianX
April 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Elite load outs are nicely named. I see a gladiator loadout with the plasma sword to spawn with :o

sevlag
April 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Elite load outs are nicely named. I see a gladiator loadout with the plasma sword to spawn with :o
sweet

Warsaw
April 17th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Halo 2 looked pretty damn good, but I wouldn't say it was the best. Some of the face models were horrible (The "We're Drifting" guy in Delta Halo is a good example). Doom 3, Unreal Championship 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 looked better in my opinion. Halo 2 did some things good, other things not so great, and same with the other games.

Yeah, it had hiccups, but I think the rest of the game largely made up for those.
I never slowed down long enough to observe Unreal Championship II because with so many bullets flying, it was hard to do so. The character models were also kind of low-poly, and the same went for Doom 3. Halo 2 was likewise low-poly, but it wasn't as noticeable to me.

Never played a single MGS game in my life.

Also, diggin' the Elite combos. If only they had the wrist shield...that would be epic to go with the sword.

t3h m00kz
April 17th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Never played MGS? Missin' out, man. It's some pretty good shit.

ODX
April 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Watching GTTV and seeing some more gameplay...it seems the animator (I believe it's a new guy) has really cleaned up some things and I'm actually mostly satisfied with them now. Pistol reload is still more 'realistic' and not Halo-ish in my tastes so I don't exactly like it, but most everything else looks pretty nice.

Ifafudafi
April 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM
tbqh I didn't like the pistol's reloading animation very much, thought it was far too smooth

But those particle effects. I need to get my hands on Reach's theater :pcgaming:

ODX
April 18th, 2010, 09:13 AM
tbqh I didn't like the pistol's reloading animation very much, thought it was far too smoothWell if you watch the Unto the Breach ViDoc you can see the pistol reload's alpha where it's very very jolty and horrible, but it seems he's just edited and updated them throughout the time.

Not exactly a bad idea, everyone gets to see and critique the animations/their concepts instead of using placeholders, so it's kind of a plus side.

FireDragon04
April 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
The pistol animation is definitely better since the Alpha footage we saw, I think I can live with how it is now, I'm just more bothered about the Shotgun...maybe we just didn't see enough of it, but it seemed to have a really minimal and weak looking animation, maybe it will look better once we get it in our hands on May 3rd.

Warsaw
April 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
You know what's awesome? The Public Beta goes live on my last day of school for this semester.

annihilation
April 18th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wanna hear something even cooler than that?
I have shit tons of work and probobly won't be able to play it! :neckbeard:

Also, the shotguns firing animations look retarded tbh.

ODX
April 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Keeping in mind the guy still has maybe 6 or so months, I'd say the shotgun isn't fully done yet and like I said he probably made all the animations in a basic form and is now slowly editing them up to release, adding his new experience and such that he's learned to them.

I did the same thing with Duce for MPG3 and the pistol, I animated some basic ones and gave them to him to replace HDoan's and see if people liked mine. Then based on feedback I received I changed them around and gave edits here and there until Duce got the final set he has now. Given, that was in a matter of about 2-3 weeks though ^.^

t3h m00kz
April 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I doubt it. The Halo 3's animations didn't change very much since the Beta, aside from adding the equipment drop, and one or two nearly unnoticable tweaks. Not only that, but the FP animations are probably not the most important thing for them to worry about right now. Remember when the Halo 3 beta came out and theater mode didn't have any of the features the final game did? It was probably because they hadn't touched on it yet. We have no idea how polished or done the, say, campaign, custom games, or anything else not in the Beta is. They could be completely done by now, or they could be far from it. The final game doesn't come out for a while, and we don't know how swamped with other, more important stuff they are.

Also, MPG3 is irrelevant. Development for a mod or a map is much, much different than development for an actual game. Modding, for Halo at least, is as simple as is placing custom content, models, bitmaps, animations, etc into a pre-set template. Bungie actually developes and engineers the template, engine, and everything else, as well as everything I've listed. They don't just mess around with tool, sapien and geurilla. Coding is a huge part of their, and any game developers job, and there's alot more that can go wrong than just a badly placed thumb or a bland texture.

Boba
April 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
some of the animations are jolty

this game isn't worth playing

t3h m00kz
April 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
o nose

FRain
April 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I kinda do like the pumping animation for the shotgun though, the kinda slap pump.

Kornman00
April 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Bungie has been pretty good with learning from their mistakes after finishing their games. Basing their overall development from that of a previous game (especially one that was their first on a new system) isn't really accurate as they are more than likely doing something different this time around. Not just that but development practices improve too. It would be more logical to keep using existing assets when building the prototyping\alpha stages, as unlike some other developers, Bungie just keeps improving their own engine, not picking an entirely different one or going third-party. Sure designers\artists can work on the improvements they have in mind for the future life cycles (beta, delta, etc), but the idea is that during this time to get a rough idea of what was brought up in the pre-production phase.

Engineers will be cracking out new systems and improvements during this time too so some advancements may not be readily avaiable. Example may be that the animation system may be getting an overhaul so why work on old assets for an alpha engine when you'll be redoing things "from the ground up" later for a new system in a more complete engine? Work with the resources you have now to get the mindset of what you'll be having overall later in development, then work on the nitty grities (working from the ground up as the say).

An alpha tester should be worrying about how to break the game and spotting shit that just isn't right. It's during this phase when you'll be looking out (for example) for animation "pops" instead of going "oh, well these FP animations just look like the old game, filing a bug!". Well, they're more than likely FROM the old game because that is what the game tech is based on. In fact, you'd in some cases WANT that. You have something to test against (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing). If the DATA hasn't changed but the SYSTEM has and the execution doesn't look the same nor as expected...then there is a bug somewhere.

FRain
April 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Also, MPG3 is irrelevant. Development for a mod or a map is much, much different than development for an actual game. Modding, for Halo at least, is as simple as is placing custom content, models, bitmaps, animations, etc into a pre-set template. Bungie actually developes and engineers the template, engine, and everything else, as well as everything I've listed. They don't just mess around with tool, sapien and geurilla. Coding is a huge part of their, and any game developers job, and there's alot more that can go wrong than just a badly placed thumb or a bland texture.

AKA: BUILD IS BUSTED. ABORT.

Darqeness
April 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
New Vidoc is up (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=CarnageCarnivalViDoc)

Looking very nice indeed.

=sw=warlord
April 22nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Downloading now.
Is there much info on invasion in this or any until now unannounced features?
Looking at the new limited editions on bungie.net....
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=25773

Darqeness
April 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Nothing really on invasion, there was an article on Kotaku that had a bit on it.

Oh and race:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Delinquin/1271943375595.jpg

sevlag
April 22nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
they finally decided to do something right...GJ bungie

race will be fun again

Kornman00
April 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Vrrm vrrm. Heh, they could make Grifball on mongeese (I forget the name of the real sport played on horse back) where you have to get a round object to a highlighted area to score. From the sounds of their new Megalo engine, they could set that up

In other news: I'm mad because I can't watch this yet :<

E: Wait, what? A speedometer? nice

annihilation
April 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Vrrm vrrm. Heh, they could make Grifball on mongeese (I forget the name of the real sport played on horse back) where you have to get a round object to a highlighted area to score. From the sounds of their new Megalo engine, they could set that up

In other news: I'm mad because I can't watch this yet :<

E: Wait, what? A speedometer? nice

Polo.

Race is gonna be so awesome.

sevlag
April 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Polo.

Race is gonna be so awesome.
yet you'll still somehow ruin it with your pedobear ways

Sanctus
April 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm foaming at the mouth for the Beta

flibitijibibo
April 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
ZUv98eWVnL0

Oh hello there totally not battle rifle that I totally didn't say they wouldn't add in to not suck the cocks of not every MLG cockmongler out there!

Looks pretty good otherwise.

TeeKup
April 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Looks to be some good times. Race has made a triumphant return. See you all in the beta. :3

ExAm
April 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Oh and race:

YES

Hunter
April 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I am liking the new Mongoose where it actually looks like a Quad and not some stupid SMALL thing with no detail at all :/

They are really enjoying the amount of detail they can put into things aint they

Malloy
April 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Looks awsome + Sage's beard is AWSOME.

OMG... anyone else notice at the end... how frustrating a pre determined assasination animation is gonna be during an objective game when perhaps you're right by the flag and are being shot at? :\

Con
April 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
ZUv98eWVnL0

Turn on youtube's captions:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1276/capturehn.png

Teltaur
April 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
So, remember way back when they said that every multiplayer map is featured in some way in campaign?

Look at 3:07. I'd think it's safe to assume there might be some Covenant-themed sections in the single player.

FireDragon04
April 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
So, remember way back when they said that every multiplayer map is featured in some way in campaign?

Look at 3:07. I'd think it's safe to assume there might be some Covenant-themed sections in the single player.

I'd say that's safe to assume... however i wonder why bungie put that in their? Just to tease us? No doubt. It's just strange that they showed us the four beta maps but then had that in randomly in the middle... ANYWAY covenant environments looks sweet in reach.

Loved this ViDoc... got me extremely excited, i also loved the enthusiasm shown by the bungie guys!

Sever
April 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
I do believe that the fifth Covenant-themed map is most likely a 'friends-and-family beta' exclusive, much as Last Resort was for the Halo 3 beta.

=sw=warlord
April 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
i also loved the enthusiasm shown by the bungie guys!
That actually put me off.
They seemed so sure they got everything right that something just has to be wrong, the guy who was talking about the sniper rifle and how he was going to be the only competition in the game made me start to lose the will to live the way he seemed so full of himself.
Also, am I the only one who despises that visor their using.
It reminds me of a stainless steel tin or something the way it's so chromatic.

hry
April 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
It's cool but, what the fuck they did to the plasma rifle?, look at the minute 1:06 :S

Delta4907
April 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
It's not a plasma rifle, it's a Plasma Repeater (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_Repeater)

Darqeness
April 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Also, about the limited and legendary editions of the game...

Here's the Elite armour set that comes with limited and legendary...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4541938011_9af46dfc5f.jpg

and here's the Spartan armour effect exclusive to the legendary edition:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4541937843_575f378501.jpg

annihilation
April 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
I love the armor colors.
It looks really pure.

E: Nice, flaming armor.
How much is the legendary edition though?

Dwood
April 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
This is Reach, the elites are supposed to be darker, more scary and frightening.

Limited
April 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I love the armor colors.
It looks really pure.

E: Nice, flaming armor.
How much is the legendary edition though?
$150

This vidoc was AMAZING, I'm so pumped to play beta, shame I can only play it like 8th may, handing my dissertation in that week :O

Pooky
April 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
I just have this feeling that armor abilities are going to make me rage in Reach, armor lock in particular. Whatever they do, I hope there will be some sort of 'classic' playlist in the final game with no loadouts and no armor abilities.

annihilation
April 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Dodging and armor lock are going to be whored out severely.
I can already tell.

flibitijibibo
April 22nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Armor lock will be fun:
1. Fire something.
2. They enable lock.
3. Get behind them and wait.
4. Assassinate.
5. ????
6. PROFIT!!!

Cagerrin
April 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Armor lock will be fun:
1. Fire something.
2. They enable lock.
3. Get behind them and wait.
4. Assassinate.
5. ????
6. PROFIT!!!

You're forgetting the part where Armour Lock shoves you away.

English Mobster
April 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
No matter.

Sniper bullet = 1 hit kill. Yay.

annihilation
April 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
How many of you are gonna get the legendary edition?
I might get the limited just because of the art book that comes with it.

I don't know if Reach is gonna be good enough to blow off $150 on.

Sever
April 22nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
I've already preordered and paid in full my own Legendary Edition. That statue set looks badass. The fact that it comes paired with Reach is icing on the cake, since I probably would've bought it on its own.

English Mobster
April 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
God damnit, now I need to save up $750 this summer...
($600 for my new iPad, $150 for Reach. Probably going to do Reach first.)

TeeKup
April 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
I'll get the Limited edition myself. Also whole-heartily agree on certain armor ability whoring.

FireDragon04
April 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
I do believe that the fifth Covenant-themed map is most likely a 'friends-and-family beta' exclusive, much as Last Resort was for the Halo 3 beta.

That would be interesting, could still see some videos on youtube of it, which would be awesome!

SOME SCREEN-GRABS FROM THE ViDOC.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2189/image1kj.jpg
Hammer ownage

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3731/image2yx.jpg
Neck Stab!

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8827/image3zi.jpg
Focus Rifle - First Person

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2174/image4ip.jpg
Is he pooping out a laser beam? <3 Focus rifle placement here...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/485/image5tc.jpg
Covenant Sexiness

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3370/image6yf.jpg
Flaming skulls in ODDBALL now.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9470/image7ao.jpg
Different texture/patterns on armour...seen in FP view here...a camouflage effect.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4239/image8re.jpg
Plasma Grenade

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3898/image9s.jpg
Banshee looking good

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6067/image10x.jpg
Retro Mongoose looks awesome!

ODX
April 23rd, 2010, 06:34 AM
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9470/image7ao.jpg
Different texture/patterns on armour...seen in FP view here...a camouflage effect.
Yes it's me ODX again 'ranting' about animations how horrible boo-who suck it up.

Question: What do you guys think about the arm and how it's more 'realistic' in things such as this sword slash and grenade throws seen at various times?

Malloy
April 23rd, 2010, 06:49 AM
i fucking love that banshee.

sevlag
April 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
i think i'll save up for the legendary edition... get it this summer

Hotrod
April 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'm gonna stick with the limited edition, since I know I would never use the flaming helmet, and 150$ will be too much for me, especially since I'll be starting my first year of University in September.

Oh, and that Elite armor sure does look sexy.

=sw=warlord
April 23rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Pre-ordered the legendary edition today, £0.00 owed but 2.5% return on my points card at Game.co.uk.:iamafag:

Kornman00
April 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think I can justify the price tag of legendary. I'll probably end up just getting limited instead. However, if the former came with a dev dvd or something then I'd probably look at shelling out the cash. But for now, limited looks to be enough for me

flibitijibibo
April 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
A copy of the soundtrack with legendary wouldn't hurt either... (fun fact: I own the ODST soundtrack, but not ODST)

=sw=warlord
April 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I don't think I can justify the price tag of legendary. I'll probably end up just getting limited instead. However, if the former came with a dev dvd or something then I'd probably look at shelling out the cash. But for now, limited looks to be enough for me
Yeah, i've got so many points saved on my rewards card from the past 5 years that it reduced the price a fair bit for me, besides some of the stuff in the legendary edition doe's look pretty nice.

sevlag
April 23rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, i've got so many points saved on my rewards card from the past 5 years that it reduced the price a fair bit for me, besides some of the stuff in the legendary edition doe's look pretty nice.
whats included in the legendary ed anyways besides a sweet ass armor set and the art bewk

Futzy
April 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
whats included in the legendary ed anyways besides a sweet ass armor set and the art bewk
A hand painted 10 pound statue of noble team.

sevlag
April 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
A hand painted 10 pound statue of noble team.gawwwd dayum

annihilation
April 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Hand painted eh?

Sounds awesome.
I'm still short $50. :smith:

English Mobster
April 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Standard: Game disc and manual.
Limited: Game disc (In special ONI "Black Box"), "Artifact bag" with Dr. Hasley's personal journal and other classified documents which reveal closely held secrets about the Halo universe, and this Elite armor:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4541938011_9af46dfc5f.jpg
Legendary: Game disc (In special ONI "Black Box", which itself is in "UNSC-themed packaging" in the Legendary edition), "Artifact bag", special Elite armor, hand-painted individually numbered 10-pound McFarlane Noble Team Statue, and flaming helmet in multiplayer.
Statue:
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/42210/sm/HR_LEGENDARY_STATUE_SM.jpg
Flaming helmet:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4541937843_575f378501.jpg

Hunter
April 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'm going to stick with limited edition, aint spending like £100 on a dam game, model and bloody flames...

ODX
April 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
10 pound hand painted statue.

I would think that, coupled with all the other goodies they give you, is worth the price.

English Mobster
April 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'm getting Legendary. Going to put the statue right next to my Legendary helmet.

Ifafudafi
April 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
so yeah, seeing the vidoc, I'm also worried about Armor Lock and Evade.

Since apparently Armor Lock can kill another player if they're close enough, it means you have to effectively kill a dude who's using it instantly if you have anything shorter range than a pistol; otherwise the lock wave will hit you and boom dead. Evade looks like the dive roll from Gears, and it looks like it's going to be abused just as horribly.

Most other stuff looks pretty cool though; again, I want theater mode for these particle effects, they are delicious

English Mobster
April 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
You can only evade twice, and then you have a recharge timer. I doubt it's going to be spammed THAT much.

And I'm pretty sure the only thing which can kill you from Armor Lock is if the dude remains in the lock for the maximum possible time. Perfect time to get away and peg him from range as soon as he gets out.

Ifafudafi
April 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah I was guessing that the dude who got murdered by the lock in the vidoc was either dumb or already at low shields. Really I think it could have good application in KOTH, if it's available there. But if a dude locks and you don't have anything save a short-range weapon, it could still be eh. Maybe you'd have time to get in there while he's getting up.

Didn't hear that evade had a recharge timer, so that's good to know

Futzy
April 23rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
That guy didn't get killed by the armor lock. The emp pushed him back and then he was killed by a grenade.

Kornman00
April 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Legendary will actually be in short supply this time. It won't be like Halo 3's "cat helmet". So I said fuck it and pre-ordered it. Will have to line it up with my cat helmet and 7ft tall MC statue, assuming I don't ebay it off before sept. comes around

Donut
April 23rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
oh god so now not only do we have to preorder to get exclusive content, we have to preorder the most expensive fucking thing? no. looking back now, im glad i didnt buy halo 3 legendary because i realized i dont like it anymore. i dont think ill be buying anything but the game this time either.

or do you not have to preorder for the flaming armor and shit?

Delta4907
April 24th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Pre-ordering is not required to get any of the features any edition includes.

Kornman00
April 24th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Pre-ordering is not required to get any of the features any edition includes.

The (ingame) features COME with those editions. However, they seem to be hinting that by the time the game hits stores whatever supplies they have then is it. They won't keep making the limited\legendary editions after. However this could just be :words: to make people pre-order now.

ejburke
April 24th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I think they said the same thing last time.

I'm just getting the standard this time. The Halo 3 LE held its discs in place with a glued-to-the-metal-case plastic spindle, which came unglued, hitchhiked aboard the disc into the xbox and totally got stuck in it for a month.

Also, I don't believe black boxes are actually black. Makes them hard to find.

Kornman00
April 24th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Well, when it comes to ONI, I guess they really don't want someone else to find it :P. Probably would use some kind of beacon (radio, light based, etc)

=sw=warlord
April 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM

The (ingame) features COME with those editions. However, they seem to be hinting that by the time the game hits stores whatever supplies they have then is it. They won't keep making the limited\legendary editions after. However this could just be :words: to make people pre-order now.
Hey korn, any idea if these armours are just unlocked or are they DLC like the stuff for halo wars?
If it's DLC then this could mean we may get DLC armour in the future.

Kornman00
April 24th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Ask me again after the game goes gold. As of now, there is nothing (I've uncovered) to suggest they'll support new armor features via DLC. I think it's best they just concentrate on new maps afterwords anyway

ICEE
April 24th, 2010, 01:37 PM
why the fuck would we buy legendary edition for the statue, we don't even know if we LIKE the characters depicted yet. They could be completely dry and undeveloped douchebags.

annihilation
April 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM
why the fuck would we buy legendary edition for the statue, we don't even know if we LIKE the characters depicted yet. They could be completely dry and undeveloped douchebags.

This.
I could see if this was Halo 3 and we knew the characters and how popular it was and how good of a game it would be. (ha)
But this is an entirely new set of characters and shit. I'm not 100% sure if I wanna blow off $150 on something that might end up like ODST where nobody plays it anymore.
Although I doubt no one will play it.

t3h m00kz
April 24th, 2010, 02:52 PM

You mean like MC?

annihilation
April 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
E: nvm

Heathen
April 24th, 2010, 03:56 PM
@ the whole HUD shitfest...

The HUD is fine... ODST is fine. @ Jcap... 'misleading' is a variable word. Its assuming that the user 'player' isnt bellow a certain standard of intelligence to use it. (not mocking... just making a point). The ammo hud suits its needs whether the bullets are vertical or horizontal.
This. I feel a little insulted that people think the players are too stupid to realize that it drains to the middle. And ammo, idgaf, because Any good player reloads when they have downtime and it still displays the same amount of ammo regardless of the icon's orientation.

Whether its
||
or
|
|
its still two.

ICEE
April 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
You mean like MC?

Pretty much. The difference being that MC developed a fandom over a few games and books, and these guys are just freshly being pulled from bungie's rectums.

flibitijibibo
April 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
It's not really misleading in terms on stupidity, it's just misleading visually. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had half a chance during a firefight in ODST because it looked like I had a decent amount of health.

Visual brainfucks are best left to stuff like Beat Hazard... :pcgaming:

annihilation
April 24th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Just remember that your health doesn't smoothly fade away.
It goes away in chunks.

It's not misleading at all.

And why does it say Ribbit was the last to post but it was really flibitijibibo?

E: oh..........

flibitijibibo
April 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, see what they did there? Inferno/sdavis were really dedicated to the idea.

:downs:

Kornman00
April 24th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I'm not 100% sure if I wanna blow off $150 on something that might end up like ODST where nobody plays it anymore.
Although I doubt no one will play it.
ODST just had campaign. This will have both campaign, multiplayer and forge. I'd be willing to bet that they introduce co-op matchmaking for campaign games too this time around too. Reach will be played for years to come by many, many people.

ICEE
April 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM
i don't think ill buy this at all, it isn't on steam...

sevlag
April 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
i could use that statue of noble team to beat my sister when she wants to go on the xbawx

Kornman00
April 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
So, in reach, you actually have to press a button to pick up health now. Should make Firefight matches a little easier since you won't accidentally pick one up when you only lost a spec of health :ugh:

flibitijibibo
April 26th, 2010, 10:28 AM
So, in reach, you actually have to press a button to pick up health now. Should make Firefight matches a little easier since you won't accidentally pick one up when you only lost a spec of health :ugh:

I want source of this. That's far too awesome to be let off with a sourceless post.

Kornman00
April 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.giantbomb.com/ask-me-anything-halo-reach/17-2381/

Llama Juice
April 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
^this is awesome.

=sw=warlord
April 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM
First person passenger seat in warthog?
Oh my...

sevlag
April 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Oh my...
fuck yes

annihilation
April 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Oh my...

They better have an option to switch between 3rd person and 1st person.

=sw=warlord
April 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
They better have an option to switch between 3rd person and 1st person.

By the looks of it from the video, there is no option and there wasn't a weapon in view either.

Siliconmaster
April 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
We also don't know what the context is. They said it isn't in the beta- that could either mean that the passenger seat has 3rd person view just for the beta, or that what they showed was from a campaign cutscene. Do remember that Bungie is doing a lot more "in-character" cutscenes, veering away from the full out cinematic style. That could be part of one of those scenes. We won't know until the final game, I suppose.

Pooky
April 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Having seen it in action, a lot of stuff about the new sandbox is annoying me. First of all, all the new Covenant weapons look so god damn similar I can hardly tell one apart from another at a glance. Also, what's the point of having the pistol and the DMR if the former is just a shitty version of the latter? Finally, they took out the SMG but I'm not seeing any kind of point blank bullet spam weapons to replace it, the like of which have existed in every Halo game in some form or another.

Rob Oplawar
April 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Having seen it in action, a lot of stuff about the new sandbox is annoying me. First of all, all the new Covenant weapons look so god damn similar I can hardly tell one apart from another at a glance.
They seem pretty distinctive to me...
Also, what's the point of having the pistol and the DMR if the former is just a shitty version of the latter?
Preference? I think the pistol is there as a nod to all fans of the H1 pistol. Why shouldn't it be there?
Finally, they took out the SMG but I'm not seeing any kind of point blank bullet spam weapons to replace it, the like of which have existed in every Halo game in some form or another.
Um... yeah, the type of weapon you're talking about that was in Halo 1 was the AR, which is in Reach...
Look, the SMG and the AR were very similar but subtly distinct weapons. You can't complain about the presence of the pistol and the absence of the SMG in the same breath. :rolleyes:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Pooky
April 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

I knew someone was going to say that. The Reach AR is NOT equivalent to the SMG (To clarify, the Halo 1 AR and Halo 2/3 SMG had virtually no range and an extremely high rate of fire. The assault rifle in Reach appears to have a decent range and not that high a ROF, much like the MA5C), and the Halo 3 AR and SMG were a lot more distinct in functionality than the pistol and DMR in this game seem to be.

I'd like to know how the focus rifle, needle rifle, and plasma grenade launching thing are distinct from each other though. They're all roughly the same size, purple, and made up of segmented parts.

=sw=warlord
April 26th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Set your calendars for April 27 at 5AM GMT; that's when the live action Halo: Reach short “Birth of a Spartan" will be hitting "multiple" U.K and U.S. TV stations as well as movie theaters that day. It will also be all over the internet and Xbox Live, but you should watch it here at G4TV.com.
According to Bungie, "Birth of a Spartan" gives viewers a look deep into the main character in the upcoming shooter. The short is described as a "stirring depiction of the transformation of Carter 259, the future leader of Noble Team in Halo: Reach, from an ordinary young man to a superhuman Spartan warrior.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704213/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=so-0907-twitterthefeed-704213&cmpid=so-0907-twitterthefeed-704213#ixzz0mFbENrsi (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704213/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=so-0907-twitterthefeed-704213&cmpid=so-0907-twitterthefeed-704213)