PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

sevlag
May 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Got to play it. (Not sure if this has been talked about) 1 Flag CTF on Swordbase is the easiest shit ever. Me and my friend just cooperated, ran in there spamming grenades into the tunnel the defends have to come though, took the flag and ran like hell back to base through the gravity lift. Defense? Pfft, have a guy sprint up there quick to spam grenades at the falling attackers, and the other guy gets into a position behind the barrier behind the flag with armor lock. Once the scout guy dies, have him go armor lock too.

Cheap shit, fun shit, doesn't feel much different from Halo 3 though.

Sevlag: Perhaps this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFBJXnbtqQ&feature=related) might be the video? It's backwards Invasion, so Covenant are defending and Spartans are attacking, sprint animations are being used for elites and evading for Spartans.
Edit: Then again, Elite's running animation is just sped up whenever they sprint, not sure about Spartan evading. Elite at around 1:30 DOES use Armor Lock, and has a red shield rather than blue.
the video is close to what im talking about, but its not the one I saw, it lookmed like the last part was done, then blacck screen, then the UNSC announcer saying about falling back, then the elites and whatnot

Pooky
May 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
btw, that you suck, was directed at everyone.

So, go spawn with a pro pipe, and go disable his shit, and go jack it, thats almost EXACTLY what I did when we were getting spawncamped by a tank.
Are you serious, Elites don't get grenade launchers you cretin.

sevlag
May 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Are you serious, Elites don't get grenade launchers you cretin.
they get Plasma pistols...which aren't as good as the "pro tube"

if an EMP disables electronic systems temporarily why is the turret still able to rotate?

Warsaw
May 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hydraulics.

EX12693
May 9th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Hydraulic pumps are electric. Or engine powered. But the engine is dead... so... um... :mech:

Futzy
May 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
It shouldn't be able to do that, since the wraith gets completely disabled by EMPs. Not to mention the magnetic aim on the scorpion is insane now.

sevlag
May 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
no because even on the wraith fire control still operates

Futzy
May 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I thought it didn't, but even if it does you can't aim it

sevlag
May 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I thought it didn't, but even if it does you can't aim it
well thats cause with the wraith you have to turn the whole vehicles, what im saying is the EMP should basically render the vehicle useless for the duration of the shutdown

Limited
May 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
found an interesting video on Bnet show casing elite using an armor lock animation and spartans doing a unique evade animation, I put pics of it in the Reach thread that I took from the film, lost link itself

anyways im getting jack shit with Cr now after being a WO grade III
I was elite one time and I had spartan hands and I could use the sprint ability. It was very weird, I also had spartan guns.

sevlag
May 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I was elite one time and I had spartan hands and I could use the sprint ability. It was very weird, I also had spartan guns.
what i find weird is the elites HAVE an armor lock animation, probably for retail purposes (ex: custom games covy slayer)

beta ends may 19 according to inside xbox

Arteen
May 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Vehicles are so terrible in Reach. Bungie has got to do something about them for retail. Everyone spawns with an EMP weapon, they're made of paper, you can never tell when they're going to blow up, and you can easily commit suicide if you hit something while flipping with the Banshee. Half the time on Invasion Slayer, the vehicles are destroyed almost immediately. The hell?

Also, the spawn system is atrocious in both Invasion modes. One match, my battle bro quit before the match even started, so I got to enjoy trekking across the map every time I died. There needs to be more than just the two spawn areas. In regular Invasion, most of my (Elite) team quit, so half the game was us getting spawn killed by the Spartans because we could only spawn in one spot. In Invasion Slayer, not only should there be more spawn areas, but they shouldn't be separated by teams. Elites should be able to spawn at the base, and Spartans should be able to spawn in the ship.

The Elites tend to have terrible loadouts too. No Armor Lock and not enough Needle Rifles. Spartans get all the fun guns, including two 1-hit kill weapons. The Elites have the sword, but it's worthless compared to the shotgun. In regular Invasion, the Elites really need more weapon drops. The Spartans have a whole armory, but Elites get a pair of Launchers and a pair of Focus Rifles, both of which Spartans usually steal before Elites can reach them. Elites get nothing in tier 3, and really can't countersnipe guys with Sniper Rifles and Splasers.

I think much of the problem with Invasion is that Boneyard just isn't a good map. At all. For anything.

ODX
May 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Boneyard is just too big, and a lot of it isn't used. 'Low' player-count also kills it a bit, with me struggling to find even one person and when I do, it's normally two or the whole team just inside to a point that it isn't very fun.

sevlag
May 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
i jsut hate getting stuck with idiots in party chat or some dude with no mic whatso ever

also invasion slayer is situational, once in awhile you'll get GREAT team mates that know to CAPTURE the objectives
but of course the other 9/10 times the problem arises of teamates that don't know what the fuck to do

oh and I came across an odd looking spartan body after black screen once, torso was purple and the arms and legs were green...weird :|

Warsaw
May 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hey man, I play muted for a good reason. I'm usually talking with IRL friends via Live or I don't care to put up with the incessant whining and smack from everyone else.

sevlag
May 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hey man, I play muted for a good reason. I'm usually talking with IRL friends via Live or I don't care to put up with the incessant whining and smack from everyone else.
im just tired of playing a game where Im stuck with my team all in party chat wankin each other while im stuck getting killed and not getting help because they cant hear me

ejburke
May 10th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'm a little unclear on the Hill objectives in Invasion Slayer. I know it triggers a "loot dump", but why does it matter who captures? Usually, the opposite team is the one that winds up with the prizes, anyway. And what triggers the loadout escalations? Kills? Hills? Do both teams get the unlocks at the same time?

Not that I'll ever get to play Invasion Slayer again. I went through a dozen straight matches where only two people bothered to veto Invasion. How about making Invasion Slayer the default for once, goddamnit?

I am having more fun with this mode than any of the others. It's nice having a direction and a bearing. If someone flanks me in Invasion, it's because it was a deliberate strategy on his part and not because he just happened to spawn in behind me. Overall, it's still pretty rough, though.

I wish there was a point to the first two phases. As a defender, even if we're kicking ass, they still manage to complete them. I wish there was a BF-like ticket system to make the slaughter worthwhile, because we might as well just let them have the early objectives.

Speaking of BF, it would be nice if capturing spawn points was a part of the experience.
Also nice: flag/core objectives that have some chance of being returned and don't resemble glorified games of "kick the can."

Donut
May 10th, 2010, 12:56 AM
they seriously need to make the voting so your vote doesnt count unless you actually select something.

ejburke
May 10th, 2010, 01:33 AM
And if you change your vote more than twice, you lose your vote.

p0lar_bear
May 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM
So I played a few rounds finally of both Invasion and Invasion Slayer.

Invasion Slayer needs some massive refinement. Right now, the best way to win is to allow the enemy team to capture a hill, and then your team converges on them from all sides, effectively taking them out and stealing their care package, and proceeding to use the weapons to rack up the kills. On Tier 3, the loadouts on both sides offer incredibly annoying-assed spawn weapons: the sword for elites, and the grenade launcher for spartans. You're either getting sneak-slashed as a spartan, or you cannot take control of vehicles as an elite on tier 3. Giving both sides easy access to those loadouts may be "balance," but it's certainly not fun. Also, I often find myself getting confused at the point of the game while playing; we're encouraged to go for drops, but someone capturing the drop point isn't rewarded at all, and when it comes down to it, all it's about is killing. Seems like a gametype that specifically caters to the MLG profags; ignore the objective entirely and just kill the people going for it (as seen in Oddball).

CabooseJr
May 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Elites are overpowered in Invasion Slayer. In Invasion, almost everytime, spartans win. I would make them add more time after controlling a point.

Delta4907
May 10th, 2010, 03:00 PM
About armor permutations, not sure if it was stated before, (or if I'm just being a captain obvious) but I have a hunch that in the final game, we will be able to customize our forearms and knee\thighs as well as arms\chest\helmet. I thought of this because
1. As you all probably know, there aren't any knee pads on the player in the beta, except for in FP. But in renders Bungie has shown, there are knee pads.
2. After looking through some of the files in one of the beta maps, I noticed there being folders containing bitmaps called chest\helmet\shoulders, and then two more called forearms and thighs.
3. And then this (http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/032610/Reach_customization_Concepts.jpg) concept art really says it (most of you might've have seen it already though)

Hunter
May 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I hope that there is actually a point in unlocking this armour, apart from people gorming at in in theatre mode because you can't see it whilst ploughing someone full of lead...

I was the sensors on the helmet actually do something like give you themal vision or something... as long as it isnt going to unbalance the gameplay...

Guy1: "Ohh, Look at me, LOOK AT ME!! I Have COOL SHOULDER PADS!!!"
Guy2: "So..."

ExAm
May 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hey man, I play muted for a good reason. I'm usually talking with IRL friends via Live or I don't care to put up with the incessant whining and smack from everyone else.This gets me pissed off more than anything. Having a team that won't talk to me is as good as having no team at all. If you're playing a damn team game, talk to your teammates, or you won't get my respect.

=sw=warlord
May 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
This gets me pissed off more than anything. Having a team that won't talk to me is as good as having no team at all. If you're playing a damn team game, talk to your teammates, or you won't get my respect.

Or start a game with your own friends?
I use party chat nearly all the time because I really don't want to have to listen to prepubescent racist children screaming xenophobic insults at me because of their intolerance.
More often than not even though I don't use game chat I'm still on the winning team helping out considerably.

ExAm
May 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM
If your party consists of just you and your friends, fine, go ahead; but if I join a team, and you and everyone else on the team are in a private chat, I won't be able to hear any calls you make, spots, warnings, and you won't be able to hear mine. It's a giant stone wall to effective teamwork in a fucking team game.

ICEE
May 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
This gets me pissed off more than anything. Having a team that won't talk to me is as good as having no team at all. If you're playing a damn team game, talk to your teammates, or you won't get my respect.

Don't blame the people who won't talk because of muting. Blame the people who drive them to mute everyone.

=sw=warlord
May 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Don't blame the people who won't talk because of muting. Blame the people who drive them to mute everyone.

I don't believe this, but I find myself actually agreeing with you.

ICEE
May 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't believe this, but I find myself actually agreeing with you.
Guess lil warlords growin up

:realsmug:

=sw=warlord
May 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Guess lil warlords growin up

:realsmug:

Or that you've finally passed puberty and are finally starting to broaden your views instead of that tunnel vision you had.
Just because I agreed with you on one thing does not give you any leverage to start pushing your luck.
Don't try it.

teh lag
May 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
cool it yous

ExAm
May 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
There is nothing I hate more than a silent team. I'd take whiners and trolls over a bunch of mute pricks. That is all.

annihilation
May 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
As long as they can hear me then I'm fine with it.

Pooky
May 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
There is nothing I hate more than a silent team. I'd take whiners and trolls over a bunch of mute pricks. That is all.

There is nothing I hate more than people on Xbox Live. I'd rather ignore them all and spare myself the irritation than talk to the morons on the extremely unlikely chance of having a competent teammate.

ExAm
May 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Let me say this, at least: I've met far more competent teammates than incompetent, but it's the incompetents that stand out for their sheer stupidity. For fuck's sake, have some faith in humanity and use the filtering options.

Warsaw
May 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Or you could learn to communicate without using voice at all; most multiplayer games I grew up on had no voice, so the best way to communicate was to point to what you want, look at your buddy, and point back. That, or sit over the objective and do a little corpse hump dance. Seriously, I watch my battle buddy to see what he's doing, I don't need to hear everyone's ranting or misguided attempts to coordinate; their "orders" usually get people slaughtered.

On another note, is Generator Defence going to be in this beta at any point?

annihilation
May 10th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Generator defense is gonna be added on the last 4 days or something.

ejburke
May 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
NT1 doesn't exactly sound like fun. How does a 3 vs 3 game with no AI or vehicles stress network code, anyway?

Sasc
May 11th, 2010, 01:07 AM
NT1 doesn't exactly sound like fun. How does a 3 vs 3 game with no AI or vehicles stress network code, anyway?
I was thinking the same thing. Surely Invasion would be more of a stress test considering it's the largest Halo map ever made by Bungie, and contains vehicles and 12 players, as well as it being a new type of gametype.

Kornman00
May 11th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Because NT1 isn't running the MP game engine. The campaign and firefight engines used to use (may or may not have changed) a lock-step networking model to keep players in sync. Now they've not only increased the maximum from 4 to at least 6, they've added matchmaking support. Something firefight nor campaign had before. You also can't be too sure what else is exactly going on under the hood just from the name. Network test. They could have easily added some extra information to the networking to simulate increased traffic or are testing some networking model changes for the campaign/firefight engines. Who knows, it may not be lock-step anymore so you won't experience slower game speeds when someone has a shitty connection. Who knows? Bungie. They need to test something. Everything has been MP related thus far, so at the very least, they're testing the addition of matchmaking for the campaign/firefight engines.

p0lar_bear
May 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Let me say this, at least: I've met far more competent teammates than incompetent, but it's the incompetents that stand out for their sheer stupidity. For fuck's sake, have some faith in humanity and use the filtering options.

Lately they aren't seeming to work. I put down Quiet and Teamwork going in alone, and all I get are loners that do nothing but talk about dumb shit the whole fucking game.

ExAm, what are you doing to get the results you expect from this game? Lately it seems nothing goes right for myself and the usual goon squad of Pooky, Teekup, and one other guy we play with that doesn't come to these forums.

Pooky
May 11th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Lately they aren't seeming to work. I put down Quiet and Teamwork going in alone, and all I get are loners that do nothing but talk about dumb shit the whole fucking game.

ExAm, what are you doing to get the results you expect from this game? Lately it seems nothing goes right for myself and the usual goon squad of Pooky, Teekup, and one other guy we play with that doesn't come to these forums.

Don't forget Sever. But yeah, now that the novelty's worn off, I'm really not having much fun with this game. It seems to take the worst elements from Halo 2 and 3 while eschewing what was good about either of them. If nothing else, it inspired me to go back and play some Halo CE in order to make sure my glasses weren't a little too rose tinted.

ExAm
May 11th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Or you could learn to communicate without using voice at all; most multiplayer games I grew up on had no voice, so the best way to communicate was to point to what you want, look at your buddy, and point back. That, or sit over the objective and do a little corpse hump dance. Seriously, I watch my battle buddy to see what he's doing, I don't need to hear everyone's ranting or misguided attempts to coordinate; their "orders" usually get people slaughtered.

On another note, is Generator Defence going to be in this beta at any point?
Are you serious? On sword base, half the time you can't even see your team. On powerhouse, there are walls everyfuckingwhere, and on the Invasion map, it's too fucking huge to do anything of the sort. You really must be trolling, I can't think of any other reason for this.

ExAm, what are you doing to get the results you expect from this game? Lately it seems nothing goes right for myself and the usual goon squad of Pooky, Teekup, and one other guy we play with that doesn't come to these forums.I usualy set Chatty, Good Time, Team Player and Polite. Most of the time I get people who are at least polite and listen when you talk to them. Even the kids I get will talk without bitching (much). I prefer my team to talk, and listen. In any game I play, I'll get in a pretty bad mood if I can't talk to anyone. Silent games are just unbearable, especially since console Halo games do not feature text chat in the event that a player doesn't have a mic or is in a private chat.

ejburke
May 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I don't mind talking to people I know, but if I thought I had to constantly talk to complete strangers in order to enjoy a game, I wouldn't bother playing it. It's just not worth it to me. Either teamwork arises organically or it doesn't and I'm fine with that. Either people are doing what they're supposed to be doing or they're not. At the end of the day, it's just a game.

sevlag
May 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM
when it comes tyo invasion Im now only playing it if I have a friend to do it with as I'll be with atleast one other competent person

Limited
May 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Wow you guys bitch about your teammates alot. Ive only had a few games which my team have annoyed me and thats due to the fact they go AFK on a fucking slayer game type and only get like 3 kills all game.

Part from that I usually team up with friends IRL so then I don't have to play with complete idiots, or I just play with masters.

I hope that there is actually a point in unlocking this armour, apart from people gorming at in in theatre mode because you can't see it whilst ploughing someone full of lead...

I was the sensors on the helmet actually do something like give you themal vision or something... as long as it isnt going to unbalance the gameplay...

Guy1: "Ohh, Look at me, LOOK AT ME!! I Have COOL SHOULDER PADS!!!"
Guy2: "So..."
THey've already said, its only for aesthetics purposes.

Hunter
May 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Well they suck :realsmug:

ODX
May 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
It would be a horrible idea to make armor parts actually do something in MULTIPLAYER.

Honestly, think for just one minute will you? Imagine all the testing and balancing they would have to do then, the game would never come out.

Malloy
May 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I like to yell at my team if they've got no mic's cos it usually makes them put them back in to yell at me... except i go real sweet then and are like 'Haiiii... wanna take your thumb out your ass and put it on your right analogue stick :3 ?'

p0lar_bear
May 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I usualy set Chatty, Good Time, Team Player and Polite. Most of the time I get people who are at least polite and listen when you talk to them. Even the kids I get will talk without bitching (much). I prefer my team to talk, and listen. In any game I play, I'll get in a pretty bad mood if I can't talk to anyone. Silent games are just unbearable, especially since console Halo games do not feature text chat in the event that a player doesn't have a mic or is in a private chat.

So I tried that, and in true epic fail fashion, across three of four games, only one person in each game had a mic, and never said anything.

sevlag
May 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM
when is gennny defense? this friday?

Futzy
May 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
thursday, 5/13

=sw=warlord
May 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Grab Bag - May 3
Free For All - May 3
Arena - May 3
Invasion - May 7
Network Test 1 - May 14
(http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=playlists)

Spartan094
May 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Grab Bag - May 3
Free For All - May 3
Arena - May 3
Invasion - May 7
Network Test 1 - May 14
(http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=playlists)

That is a lie. It's way before May 3. More like April.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIlPsNKN7HU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIlPsNKN7HU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Some suicide attempt since the timer was very short and the spartans have lasers, rockets, grenade launchers, warthog, scorpions.... And a fun little glitch at the end heh, animation fail.

t3h m00kz
May 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Looks more like a code defect of some sort

ICEE
May 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
is that some kind of special banshee?

t3h m00kz
May 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
No, it's just been redesigned.

ShadowSpartan
May 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
That is a lie. It's way before May 3. More like April.
The dates were for when it would be open to the general public. Of course they were open prior to May 3rd, but it wouldn't make any sense to make the dates in April because then people would expect the beta to be up at that time. Use some common sense.

Spartan094
May 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The dates were for when it would be open to the general public. Of course they were open prior to May 3rd, but it wouldn't make any sense to make the dates in April because then people would expect the beta to be up at that time. Use some common sense.
:eng101:Common Sense. Lol. Common Sense. :eng101:

People already knew about it, and the codes. It doesn't matter if they expect it, it's been up, and generally part of the public got the codes to play Reach early and the public already knew about that too.

ShadowSpartan
May 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
:eng101:Common Sense. Lol. Common Sense. :eng101:

People already knew about it, and the codes. It doesn't matter if they expect it, it's been up, and generally part of the public got the codes to play Reach early and the public already knew about that too.
It seems like you are just rambling to try and make your point. There is no point to having the date a playlist will open be before the beta is released for everyone, it will only lead to confusion. Just because some people knew about others having it early, that does not mean everybody knew. The beta has actually been uploaded to xbox.com since April 7th. So by your logic, they should have put April 7th as the playlist start dates, since some people had it then. Flawed logic.

Kornman00
May 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Sev was just asking when NT1 was coming out for the PUBLIC BETA, which he just so happens to have, so he can know when HE'LL get to play it. What the fuck. This isn't about people who are internally testing at MS or who are F&F. We're talking about the public beta which concerns the greatest amount of the Reach playtesting population right now.

Now no more bickering about playlist dates.

sevlag
May 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
i really want to play NT1, getting tired of invasion and grabmybag

=sw=warlord
May 12th, 2010, 07:12 PM
A new gametype goes live alongside some fancy new updates.

Embrace change! We've just made some adjustments to the Halo: Reach Beta and introduced a new flavor of Slayer inside the Grab Bag playlist. Along with a host of under-the-hood technical type stuff that you don't need to be too concerned about, here's the list of alterations you'll definitely wanna know about:

Grab Bag’s “SvE Slayer” pits Spartans vs. Elites
Spartan DMR Loadout removed from Invasion Phase 1
CTF Flag return proximity slightly increased
Headhunter skull pickup radius increased
Same team Stockpile flag removal and re-scoring resolved

It's all live right now. Fire up the Beta and check it out!
Source (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid26404)

Siliconmaster
May 12th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Oh, shit. That's awesome. Like a beta-inside-a-beta. And dammit, I have so much editing work to do that I don't think I'll have time to play tonight. D:

Futzy
May 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Good, I need something to take my mind off of AP exams

Heathen
May 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Awesome. That DMR loadout was fucking unfair.

Siliconmaster
May 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM
And now the spartans are really screwed in phase 1. Haha. Now they really have to split up and guard the stairways, which will definitely improve gameplay. And for the elites, it will now be less about "run for your life" and more about "which stairway will work best?"

English Mobster
May 12th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Yay! Invasion isn't as broken anymore!

Warsaw
May 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Are you serious? On sword base, half the time you can't even see your team. On powerhouse, there are walls everyfuckingwhere, and on the Invasion map, it's too fucking huge to do anything of the sort. You really must be trolling, I can't think of any other reason for this.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. I only mentioned battle buddies anyways, and that's the only individual worth communicating to. In my experience, if every couple plays intelligently, the team will pull through. If you try to overcoordinate everybody, it's going to fail because the coordinator will inevitably overlook something.

Also, I'm going to have to check out these new changes. The SvE slayer sounds awesome.

sevlag
May 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
A new gametype goes live alongside some fancy new updates.

Embrace change! We've just made some adjustments to the Halo: Reach Beta and introduced a new flavor of Slayer inside the Grab Bag playlist. Along with a host of under-the-hood technical type stuff that you don't need to be too concerned about, here's the list of alterations you'll definitely wanna know about:

Grab Bag’s “SvE Slayer” pits Spartans vs. Elites
Spartan DMR Loadout removed from Invasion Phase 1
CTF Flag return proximity slightly increased
Headhunter skull pickup radius increased
Same team Stockpile flag removal and re-scoring resolved

It's all live right now. Fire up the Beta and check it out!
Source (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid26404)
sweet, no more DMR "death from above"

wanna try the SvE gametype in grabmybag

Heathen
May 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
when is the beta gonna die?

annihilation
May 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
19th

sevlag
May 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
17th
19th accodring to inside xbawx

Spartan094
May 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM
sweet, no more DMR "death from above"

wanna try the SvE gametype in grabmybag
It's like Invasion Slayer, but minus all the loadouts and you only have one. And guess what, elites win most of the time. Then again there are human weapons for them :realsmug:

p0lar_bear
May 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Elites should be limited to just Covenant weapons only if you ask me; especially since they have a speed and apparently strength advantage (in some way), not to mention regenerating health (unless that was a gametype setting in Elite Slayer). Hell, Halo's lore has stated before that an Elite more often than not would rather die than use a human weapon, but then again this is a game.

t3h m00kz
May 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think Elites were meant to be balanced with Spartans. They're probably just seeing HOW much more overpowered they are.

thehoodedsmack
May 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Elites should be limited to just Covenant weapons only if you ask me; especially since they have a speed and apparently strength advantage (in some way), not to mention regenerating health (unless that was a gametype setting in Elite Slayer). Hell, Halo's lore has stated before that an Elite more often than not would rather die than use a human weapon, but then again this is a game.

Solution: Slightly decrease their aim and melee strength when holding human weapons.

Kornman00
May 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, seeing as how they wouldn't train themselves or each other for using human weapons in combat, they'd be at a slight disadvantage in weapon handling (not knowing recoil, etc). Where as Spartans are like Macgyvers.

nuttyyayap
May 14th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I wanna see more huge fights like in halo 3, a few air battles would be awesome too.

sevlag
May 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM
It's like Invasion Slayer, but minus all the loadouts and you only have one. And guess what, elites win most of the time. Then again there are human weapons for them :realsmug:
either spartan teams you play on/against suck or its luck as I've had games where the spartans flat out deny the elites in phase 1 of invasion

ejburke
May 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
When Invasion first rolled out, I saw mostly Elites win and now the pendulum has swung the other way since people figured out what to do.

I've been pretty disappointed with Bungie's stab at progressive objectives. It doesn't seem like you have a whole lot of options in each given phase. I find myself doing the same things over and over and it's getting pretty boring. This type of thing has just been done better in other games. The only thing that's new that I really like is the concept of the single buddy. It's both more balanced and more inclusive than traditional squad systems. Although, it sucks getting stuck with someone who is AFK.

By the way, it's complete bullshit that each fire team is assigned a spawn location.

sevlag
May 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Genny defense is ok, generators need more HP/DR keep killin them too fast

Spartan094
May 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Generator Defense can be laggggggy which can be bad. It's alright. Nothing to special other then the fact elites get to the weapons drop about 94% of the time. And I hate how a sword can take out a generator in a few melee's and the Spartan Laser doesn't do worth crap or rockets :/

Also the machine gun turret know just fires, no winding up slowly fire.

Meh it's a Beta, I hope to see some better fixes and such in the retail.

Limited
May 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Plus the generators are glitched, game I played with masters and shadowspartan, the spartans were able to lock down the generator like 5 seconds after it JUST came out of lockdown.

Delta4907
May 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Actually I think the cooldown time is around 3-5 seconds. Definitely needs to be increased.

sevlag
May 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
yeah, found out PP works wonders against the gennys, overcharge takes a nice chunk of its health out, shame rockets dotn do more and that turret just rips through a generator's health like crazy

also got a quitters ban cause i was last guy on my team who was actually there (other two rage quitted very first round)

Futzy
May 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Since they're not keeping this gametype, I wouldn't have expected it to be polished at all, but its kind of fun

FRain
May 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I didn't read anything that said they're not keeping this gametype.

Futzy
May 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
The whole point of it is to test the campaign netcode

ejburke
May 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
It's not a real gametype and it's not a real map. They hacked that space out of the campaign. Whereas the real multiplayer maps were hacked INTO the campaign.

I could see them bringing generator-defending into Invasion, though.

sevlag
May 15th, 2010, 05:54 AM
looks like i have ANOTHER quitter's probation because my jack ass step-father decided to shut the router off on me

Spartan094
May 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Actually I think the cooldown time is around 3-5 seconds. Definitely needs to be increased.
More like when it glitched and wouldn't GO into lockdown for like a minute. I think you where there when I was defending C for the longest possible time with the turrent, dmr, and rocket launcher.

Saggy
May 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Oh hey...

I was looking through some of the strings in the beta files and found a list of what could be armor abilities. Have any of these been confirmed except for the obvious?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/364/abilities.jpg

E: Control over AI?

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1402/allyp.jpg

Spartan094
May 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Interesting how you brought that up, and decided to look thru some of the files and went :raise:

Private
Corporal
Sergeant
Warrant Officer
Captain
Major
Lt. Colonel
Commander
Colonel
Brigadier
General
Field Marshall

Also it seems they have a dual wield option too. And Sgt Johnson is mentioned. They also have skulls again for campaign.

DEElekgolo
May 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
http://deelekgolo.codebrainshideout.net/Pics/2010-05-15_1851.png

sevlag
May 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Oh hey...

I was looking through some of the strings in the beta files and found a list of what could be armor abilities. Have any of these been confirmed except for the obvious?

E: Control over AI?

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1402/allyp.jpgfind anything else in the data? vehicles? weapons?

Atty
May 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
A weapon drop fell on an Elite's head when playing with Arteen earlier, it was hilarious.

Saggy
May 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM
find anything else in the data? vehicles? weapons?

Only new vehicle I've seen listed is the Sabre. I've read that there are others, but I haven't seen any mention of them in the files. That's not to say they aren't there however.

jcap
May 15th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Only new vehicle I've seen listed is the Sabre. I've read that there are others, but I haven't seen any mention of them in the files. That's not to say they aren't there however.
Oh, there's several. There's also a new vehicle that's finally being put in after being pulled from Halo 3.

Saggy
May 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Oh, there's several. There's also a new vehicle that's finally being put in after being pulled from Halo 3.
I just saw the list that's been going around on the internet of stuff pulled from the files. Which one is the one that got pulled from Halo 3?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading things right, but judging by the way things are ordered in the strings list, it looks like there may be two separate campaigns... take that with a grain of salt though.

E: Jeez, more stuff I found. Looks like there is a new game mode (I.E Campaign, Forge, Multiplayer, Theater etc.)
BATTLE SIM

Arteen
May 15th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Well, some of those strings are probably old or for cut content, so don't expect too much from them.

Saggy
May 15th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Well, some of those strings are probably old or for cut content, so don't expect too much from them.
I'm not expecting anything really, its just interesting to see what might be there come final. Besides, half of the strings include the words "Halo 3 Beta".

Arteen
May 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Korn and I just had an awesome Oddball match (http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=12652586&player=ArteenEsben). 150-15, with Kornman getting 149 points in a single grab. Once he got in the showers he grabbed that ball, held tight, and never let go.

=sw=warlord
May 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Korn and I just had an awesome Oddball match (http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=12652586&player=ArteenEsben). 150-15, with Kornman getting 149 points in a single grab. Once he got in the showers he grabbed that ball, held tight, and never let go.

Yeah korn doe's seem to like cupping balls for dear life.
that reminds me, anyone else having issues trying to check their stats on bungies site at all?

Champ
May 18th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Doesn't the beta end today?

Timo
May 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've only played a few games and it's pretty fun, but it may as well be Call of Duty: Future Warfare 1.

Arteen
May 19th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Strange Elite death I encountered earlier today (also my first youtube video!):
SFhSWW3Rkdw

OKay, this is actually a Halo 3 clip, but I'm new to youtube and film clip rendering so look at it anyway! It's a Hail to the King + Killtacular with only assault rifle melees.
m-pXpgnmAbw

paladin
May 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I didnt play it. I heard it sucks. And from the amount of times my brother has thrown his controller while playing confirms my suspicious suspicions.

TeeKup
May 19th, 2010, 04:42 AM
As usual once the pro fags infested it and exploit the games bugs and weaknesses the fun stops. Especially in Invasion slayer. I hate that gametype so much, it's filled with nothing but people crying for the BR back and saying the DRM sucks.

Oh and the occasional tool complaining that the Magnum is too powerful.

Arteen
May 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
You all must be playing a different game. The beta's awesome. It's got bugs and balance issues and needs tweaks, but it will be super awesome once it finally releases.

Kornman00
May 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I haven't heard anyone in any games whine about the BR. I think most people just don't know how to adapt to new things. Which is fine. Makes them easy cannon fodder. l2evolve. Combat evolve :downs:

It's no easy task keeping a grasp on firey balls :snafubar:

Since the other team couldn't get the pro-tube up, it's pretty easy to keep the ball on lock down in the showers while your team mates rape anyone who walks in. Heh, have fun with that innuendo.

FRain
May 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I also don't see what the problem was with Invasion, other than Boneyard being HUGE. (which I actually enjoy). I hated how all the other Halo games had one-size-fits-all gametypes and I enjoy how they're sorta doing away with that.

sevlag
May 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM
You all must be playing a different game. The beta's awesome. It's got bugs and balance issues and needs tweaks, but it will be super awesome once it finally releases.
yay a like minded person

also MLG people dont want the BXB glitch fixed they think it is a fair thing...

glad they did away with the BR, now each weapon feels useful in some way shape or form

Arteen
May 19th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Too bad stats will reset, since I just had such a sweet match of Oddball (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=12831762&player=ArteenEsben). 39 kills, 13 deaths, +26 spread, domination medal-wise, and I still come in 3rd. Why does this game have to go away?!

=sw=warlord
May 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
1 more day left.
The Beta ends on Thursday, May 20th at 10:00am PST. (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid26526)

The final twenty-four hours of the Halo: Reach Beta are now underway. We hope you've been having a blast. The data you've helped us collect will ensure that Halo: Reach's multiplayer experience is the best it can be when it launches in the fall.

We should note that after the Beta officially ends, our test team is planning on jumping into the live environment to simulate a host of horrible conditions in order to better prepare themselves for the retail launch. They'll be unceremoniously pulling plugs, pouring coffee into server banks, and pressing buttons that are clearly marked, "Do Not Press." If you're still playing the Beta after 10:00am tomorrow, you should expect to witness some strange and suspect stuff going down.

Stuff like:

Unpredictable gameplay behavior!
Long and unsuccessful Matchmaking times!
Unceremonious disconnects from the Beta!

English Mobster
May 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Arteen, if you want to keep your stats...
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=986220

=sw=warlord
May 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Reach beta is now officially over.
Who's still ingame?
I am.

Hotrod
May 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Found a few interesting images on Bungie.net :

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9426/campaignspartans.png
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7882/othervariants.png
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/6333/unfinishedhelms.png
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8869/unfinishedshoulders.png
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4058/bodiescopy.png

Heathen
May 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM

this athousandtime this

thehoodedsmack
May 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Carter's helmet looks like a type of Clonetrooper helmet. I'm liking the variety of customization.

Hotrod
May 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
And once again with all the Elite armors
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SV01uxhJw1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SV01uxhJw1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

EDIT : I seem to fail at using Youtube tags, so here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV01uxhJw1Q
EDIT 2 : Nvm, fixed the Youtube tags

Heathen
May 20th, 2010, 03:24 PM
not playing senor
E:
now it is

Hotrod
May 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I kind of failed the first time...but now it should work! And it's my first embedded video, so shush :P

thehoodedsmack
May 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm liking Honor Guard and Space Suit Elites.

TeeKup
May 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Those elites look badass....

sevlag
May 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Those elites look badass....
agreed

CtrlAltDestroy
May 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2817/elitesg.jpg

elites

Malloy
May 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
They all look badass apart from Erecto-helm

Champ
May 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Shouldn't Reach have its own section since it isn't apart of Halo 3, or ODST. It is its own game.

Arteen
May 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
There's not going to be enough discussion about Reach to justify a new section, I'd think. This section might as well be called Halo General Discussion.

teh lag
May 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
We've actually got something pretty much exactly along those lines planned in the near (as soon as HCE and the Release sections get tagged) future.

Random
May 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Halo Reach is fun, but the gameplay is very slow outside of close quarters. You never have a pure 1 vs 1 matchup with another player, rarely do I feel that I outplayed someone. It just takes way to long to kill people in Reach which results in tedious encounters.

Warsaw
May 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I actually prefer the long stalking sessions. I think there is too much emphasis on close-quarters firefights, which is also forced upon players because the melee A.) is super powerful and B.) has a lunge to it making it easy.

t3h m00kz
May 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'd probably say Halo 2 and 3 had more close-quarters fighting going on, since the BR could be sprayed close-range and still be decently effective. Halo 2 had a huge lunge, too.. just my opinion though

Spartan094
May 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Erecto-helm
:mech3:

I like the District 9 looking helmet.

I'd probably say Halo 2 and 3 had more close-quarters fighting going on, since the BR could be sprayed close-range and still be decently effective. Halo 2 had a huge lunge, too.. just my opinion though

BR is for sprayers w/melee players.

Warsaw
May 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
AR is also and has always been for the Sprayers with melee players (except in Halo 1). Guess what we spawn with. :haw:

Pooky
May 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM
AR is also and has always been for the Sprayers with melee players (except in Halo 1). Guess what we spawn with. :haw:

What are you talking about, that's exactly what it was good for in Halo 1 too.

Warsaw
May 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
I never did that. I killed them with the gun by itself, as closing in for a melee was always more dangerous than it was rewarding. AR fire coupled with a well-placed grenade was the preferred killing method on PC, where as on XBOX the best way was to simply spray the target since the AR had some fantastically overpowered autoaim.

Spartan094
May 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
LOL, I said the battle rifle is a power weapon all round on bungie.net forums and this kid sent me the funniest message ever.

You just didnt know how to use the BR. You are the guy who prefers AR's over BR's. So when people pick up the BR in a game of Team Slayer you got owned. Thats is why you veto for BR's. Reach takes about 10 times less skill than H3 because you spawn with invis or armor lock. Please shut up and go play firefight.

This kid think he is a funny guy! And also his little message in his profile says take out ars.

Baawwww. Also it makes me wonder is why I won Team SWAT games a ton more in h3 using the br. Some people never cease to make me laugh :realsmug:

TeeKup
May 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
All the weapons were terrible in Halo 3. Halo 3 was terrible. Jesus Christ I hate bnet kids.

English Mobster
May 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
I love idiots on the Bungie.net forums. :downs:

Spartan094
May 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
I know, he hasn't responded back to my message I sent him back since its so easy to burn those kids. Cause after I sent him the first message I thought to send him a second one so I prnt screened my stats on where my br is and my ar is so told him I wonder where my br kills stand at and my ar kills.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/kidyoufail.png

I should get more b.net kids mad.

Kornman00
May 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
cool story bro

Arteen
May 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
All the weapons were terrible in Halo 3. Halo 3 was terrible.
Eh? Halo 3 is great. Halo 2 is terrible.

Darqeness
May 22nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'm hoping the Elites will have separate permutation customization. I'm getting a vibe that you'll only be able to choose entire armour sets for them judging by the different arm and leg permutations which, so far, the Spartans seem to lack as well as the lack of extra permutations for separate armour pieces.

Spartan094
May 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm hoping the Elites will have separate permutation customization. I'm getting a vibe that you'll only be able to choose entire armour sets for them judging by the different arm and leg permutations which, so far, the Spartans seem to lack as well as the lack of extra permutations for separate armour pieces.
Um what. What you see in the beta is very few. They have a ton more options when the final game comes out (talking about spartans, dunno on elites).

Futzy
May 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I remember them saying that elites will only have armor sets when they announced the Limited Edition elite armor.
Since the spartan/elite mp system is not the same as in 1/2 and you can't choose to play as one, I'm not surprised.

sevlag
May 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
All the weapons were terrible in Halo 3. Halo 3 was terrible. Jesus Christ I hate bnet kids.
THE NEED THE BR IN REACH

REACH TAKES LESS SKILL THAN SPAMMING RT WITH THE BR

EVERYONE UNDER LVL 45 IS A SCRUB WHO KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT HALO AND ISNT A TRUE FAN

some of the examples from just the Reach feedback forums

I honestly want to do some covert trolling on B.net

=sw=warlord
May 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
I personally think bungie just needs one massive purge of the forums, it's all fine and well having a community website but when it's filled with high pitched MLG PRO XxX ITZ 1ONESn1P3 faggots, one has to wonder what useful information bungie obtains from it

sevlag
May 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I personally think bungie just needs one massive purge of the forums, it's all fine and well having a community website but when it's filled with high pitched MLG PRO XxX ITZ 1ONESn1P3 faggots, one has to wonder what useful information bungie obtains from it
none...the answer is none

Darqeness
May 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Bungie has done us a great favor with their forums. They've created a giant forum user filter so the rest of us don't have to put up with these kids.

ICEE
May 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Bungie has done us a great favor with their forums. They've created a giant forum user filter so the rest of us don't have to put up with these kids.

Pretty much this. Bnet forums are a martyr, rescuing the rest of the halo themed forums from the halo fan boys at their own expense

Halomaps operates in a similar way.

=sw=warlord
May 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah but, the bungie forums is where the Halo community get's noticed the most.
So they are really doing more harm than good, at least on other site's they just get their ass booted where as on the bungie forums we end up with bungie giving in and messing with things not needed fixing, like the tripmine which got nerfed to fuck.

Spartan094
May 24th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I didn't expect the kid to send me back a message but he did and guess what he called me

EVERYONE UNDER LVL 45 IS A SCRUB
Even thou he has no record of any halo 3 games, so I just put umad, blah blah blah and how cute.

It's funny also he called himself an MLG pro. Bawwww I literally fell out of my chair laughing. He called me about everything a "MLG pro" would call a noob, scrub, bad kid, .etc. It's so funny how he made fun of my melee kills(wtf?) too. To much of a wimp for CQB's.

I swear if they make Halo Reach to wear MLG people can fap all over like they did with h3 bleh.

Donut
May 24th, 2010, 01:50 AM
yeah honestly, the amount of "profag" bullshit that went on with halo 3 was disgusting. i cannot play that game anymore because of it

its inevitably going to happen to reach too im sure.

Pooky
May 24th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Eh? Halo 3 is great. Halo 2 is terrible.

please. At least Halo 2 had style, and good maps. Halo 3 was a game made by BR robots, for BR robots.

=sw=warlord
May 24th, 2010, 03:58 AM
please. At least Halo 2 had style, and good maps. Halo 3 was a game made by BR robots, for BR robots.
Super bounce
BXR
BXB
Plasma pistol+ Battle rifle
OMGWTFBBQ sword lunge
Hit detection
Need I say more?

Sever
May 24th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Super bounce
BXR
BXB
Plasma pistol+ Battle rifle
OMGWTFBBQ sword lunge
Hit detection
Need I say more?
No, since H3 had its fair share of bullshit as well, most of it being encouraged by the game itself. At least some of the more aggravating things in H2 at least had some redeeming qualities in one way or another. Ever played Infection in H2? Played it in H3 as well? Yeah, H3 Infection just sucks due to the weak-ass sword and even weaker shotgun, as well as the inclusion of other bullshit weapons (heh, h3 magnum, what a joke).

Kornman00
May 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Holy shit. Do we really need to debate previous games? It all comes down to perception which you won't be able to change someone else to view yours and vise versa.

What you view as a glitch or bug will just be someone else's power trip. It works in their advantage so they like it, it makes the game experience shitty for you so you associate the game badly. Games will always have bugs. That's why they have autoupdates, to fix such things.

And can we drop the MLG-is-full-of-fucking-morons? Why must we repeat something that has already been proven fact?

This thread is about Reach. Let's talk about Reach. Yes, it will be different from the other Halo games. Bungie won't make a carbon copy of a previous game. Deal with it. Cry a river, build a bridge and get over it. Leave remakes up to modding teams.

Hotrod
May 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Has anybody else seen videos of the Mongoose? What do you think of it's new design? I like how it looks like an actual ATV now, nut I think I'm going to miss the Halo 3 design.

Sorry if this has been posted before, though I don't believe it has been.

sevlag
May 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
some lulz for you guys:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=44293966&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=15#end
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=44311954&postRepeater1-p=17#44457027

Saggy
May 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Halo: Reach releases September 14
http://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/14628127481
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/24/halo-reach-grabs-september-14-release-date/

Kornman00
May 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Halo: Reach releases September 14
http://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/14628127481
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/24/halo-reach-grabs-september-14-release-date/
I'll see your waypoint, and raise you a Bungie :p

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid26642

Arteen
May 24th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I've got the trump card. Funny hat!
http://files.xboxic.com/xbox-360/halo-reach/thumbs/reachrecon.jpg

Saggy
May 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I've got the trump card. Funny hat!
http://files.xboxic.com/xbox-360/halo-reach/thumbs/reachrecon.jpg
So, for picking up Halo: Reach on Day 1 I'll get that... Well, it's the thought that counts I guess. I just wish they would be done with Recon.

=sw=warlord
May 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM
And there I was hoping they were done with Recon...
As unlikely as it seems, I seriously hope their rethinking that visor, looks ugly to me.

ICEE
May 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I love how the article implies amazement at the size of halo reach's beta. Thats the whole reason they sold ODST, so they could capitalize on reach's beta and test out their firefight gametype.

=sw=warlord
May 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I love how the article implies amazement at the size of halo reach's beta. Thats the whole reason they sold ODST, so they could capitalize on reach's beta and test out their firefight gametype.

Plus part of their agreement with Microsoft on the split was Microsoft had rights to publish their next 2 games.

sevlag
May 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM
ugh recon...why...won't...you...DIE

Warsaw
May 24th, 2010, 07:07 PM
And there I was hoping they were done with Recon...
As unlikely as it seems, I seriously hope their rethinking that visor, looks ugly to me.

Most of the armour pieces look ugly, bre.

Spartan094
May 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Most of the armour pieces look ugly, bre.
And on the girl spartan model, it looks very funky.

Warsaw
May 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM
They actually made a separate model for the female Spartan this time? wat.

Spartan094
May 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM
They actually made a separate model for the female Spartan this time? wat.
Yep. They made a female spartan model base. It's like a very skinny male spartan but with a few different things, and no the chest isn't different :>

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/reach_1280102_Full.jpg

Only image I could get for now.

Warsaw
May 24th, 2010, 08:57 PM
And I though multicoloured Spartans already screwed with us, now they really do all look different. Also, that model looks awful.

Siliconmaster
May 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Note how it's a WIP.

Spartan094
May 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Acutely I hope you know the arms have different models for left and right, I got another screenshot that's just a normal female spartan model by default but it refuses to upload.

ShadowSpartan
May 24th, 2010, 09:18 PM
It's like a very skinny male spartan but with a few different things, and no the chest isn't different :>.
Please refrain from speaking unless you know what you are talking about. The chest models are different. Proof posted below, since you don't have the knowledge to extract the models yourself.

http://shadow.modacity.net/misc/reach_spartans1.jpg
http://shadow.modacity.net/misc/reach_spartans2.jpg
http://shadow.modacity.net/misc/reach_spartans3.jpg

ICEE
May 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
They gave it ass. The chest profile looks overall the same to me, so uh, please refrain from being a douche when the differences are minor enough that someone who hasn't played with the extracted model couldn't tell.

Spartan094
May 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Sir I am sorry, I don't even have the video that had the spartan girl model. I just got it off b.net. Woop thanks for showing some differences since I don't have the video (in a good way).

E: Also, I gotta say, dat ass.

Kornman00
May 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
They gave it ass
heh, first thing I noticed too

nice and round

round and nice

roundice

FRain
May 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
She got a.... GREAT ASS!!!

TeeKup
May 24th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Well, that APPEARS to be the EOD helmet.

Yay Darth Vader returns to Reach.

t3h m00kz
May 25th, 2010, 12:39 AM
heh, first thing I noticed too

nice and round

round and nice

roundice

Just imagine the screenshots people are gonna take.

oh and i agree

sevlag
May 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM
too bad team ninja didnt help with the female biped...oh alwd

Arteen
May 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Base movement speed and jump height were areas that many players were very vocal about. While the design intent is for the Spartan IIIs to move a bit slower and jump a bit lower than the Spartan IIs of Halo 3, the team has been testing some minor tweaks in response to beta feedback.
In some cases he could get off upwards of twelve mini usages of Armor Lock before being fully depleted and in each case his attacker would lose their shields and get pummeled in return. This wasn't the design intention for the ability and it's been tweaked a bit now so it uses more energy per burst and someone who hits a locked opponent will no longer have their shields removed.
Active Camo also received a minor adjustment based on beta feedback. It was never the intent for the ability to scramble the shields of your friendly teammates while activated – it's only supposed to affect the player using it and nearby enemies.
For example, based on feedback and data from the beta, the flag positions for Powerhouse and Swordbase have been relocated, allowing a much better flow and capture opportunity for the attackers.http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1092622p1.html

Siliconmaster
May 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Awesome.

=sw=warlord
May 25th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Looks like there was a ARG, but no one really noticed it.
http://thewaytheirworldended.com/
http://twitter.com/intimation
http://www.youtube.com/user/anintimation#
http://thewaytheirworldended.com/SYS/ARCHIVE/

Saggy
May 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Looks like there was a ARG, but no one really noticed it.
http://thewaytheirworldended.com/
http://twitter.com/intimation
http://www.youtube.com/user/anintimation#
http://thewaytheirworldended.com/SYS/ARCHIVE/

No idea. Has nothing to do with us, anyway. Could be an ARG for someone else's product, or some fans attempting their own ARG.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that this is not related to Bungie or Bungie's projects, past, present or future.http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=30862809

That post was from early last year; it had nothing to do with Reach.

Heathen
May 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I mean, as far as the female biped goes, its metal plating on top of a form fitting rubber(?) suit, so of course its gonna show the curves, and a woman does have a smaller waist, bigger ass, and chest than a male.

TeeKup
May 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1092622p1.html

Excellent. These changes are good news, very good news.

Fhajad034
May 26th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Real use for new recon? (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2010/05/9e41e8a9c3489b3485477eb4facb92d8/340x.jpg)

The changes to reach addressed in the IGN article seem good so far, though I wasn't really worried about the melee vs armor lock thing - its easy enough to know NOT to hit the invincible, EMP charged guy.

TeeKup
May 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Brian Jarrard: Of the "new" weapons, the Magnum registered the most kills overall with nearly 143 million total kills. Initially though it wasn't being taken advantage of as expected – I think a lot of players initially dismissed it as semi-useless based on their recollection of the Halo 3 pistol. However, as the beta progressed and players started to get familiar with the new gameplay nuances, people began to witness the power of the fully operational Magnum. When used properly it's vicious.

Damn fucking straight. It better stay that way.

Arteen
May 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Real use for new recon? (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2010/05/9e41e8a9c3489b3485477eb4facb92d8/340x.jpg)

The changes to reach addressed in the IGN article seem good so far, though I wasn't really worried about the melee vs armor lock thing - its easy enough to know NOT to hit the invincible, EMP charged guy.
Except it's a major issue when someone can AL right when you melee. You get emped and pummeled when you did nothing wrong.

One of my biggest frustrations when fighting someone with armor lock actually comes from networking. If I'm off-host, then I may throw a melee at someone who is armor locked on the host, but I don't know about it yet. I'm going to have my shields taken down and there was no way for me to avoid it (other than not meleeing anyone).

The EMP effect when coming OUT of armor lock is still there, as long as you're locked for some minimum (short!) time. So in the sword situation, use the lock to deflect the sword hit, then pop out while he's still close and melee him while he's still recovering. You can still accomplish many of the same things you could in the beta, it just requires skillful timing instead of AL just being an "i win" button. (http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=987255)

jcap
May 26th, 2010, 09:25 AM
One of my biggest frustrations when fighting someone with armor lock actually comes from networking. If I'm off-host, then I may throw a melee at someone who is armor locked on the host, but I don't know about it yet. I'm going to have my shields taken down and there was no way for me to avoid it (other than not meleeing anyone).

The EMP effect when coming OUT of armor lock is still there, as long as you're locked for some minimum (short!) time. So in the sword situation, use the lock to deflect the sword hit, then pop out while he's still close and melee him while he's still recovering. You can still accomplish many of the same things you could in the beta, it just requires skillful timing instead of AL just being an "i win" button.

Solution:

HOST THE FUCKING GAMES ON DEDICATED SERVERS, ASSHOLES.

All servers don't need to be in WA. I'd hope Microsoft has several data centers across the world, not just one in WA. They should localize matches (like they say they are trying to do now) and throw you all in a hosted game...so the $50 you pay for yearly actually goes to something worthwhile.

=sw=warlord
May 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Must keep thread alive. (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=44617225&viewreplies=true)

Warsaw
June 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
The first Halo had staying bullet holes on the walls and bullet casings on the ground lingered for about five seconds. Halo 1 also had copious amounts of blood from dead players. Halo 2 through Halo: Reach have no bullet holes that I can remember and the casings disappear almost as fast as they exit your gun; they also have very little to no blood that I can recall. I would like to see the Halo 1 system return. Not caring so much about bullet holes/blood splatters on characters and vehicles, but it would be a nice touch.

Pooky
June 1st, 2010, 09:59 PM
The first Halo had staying bullet holes on the walls and bullet casings on the ground lingered for about five seconds. Halo 1 also had copious amounts of blood from dead players. Halo 2 through Halo: Reach have no bullet holes that I can remember and the casings disappear almost as fast as they exit your gun; they also have very little to no blood that I can recall. I would like to see the Halo 1 system return. Not caring so much about bullet holes/blood splatters on characters and vehicles, but it would be a nice touch.

Halo 2 had plenty of blood, not so much on the casings and bullet holes though.

ODX
June 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Bring back the ungodly amounts of blood you could whack out of an Elite, to a point where the game would start lagging due to all of the paint blood on the ground.

Heathen
June 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
bullet hole linger time is due to the amount of bullet holes being made at the time. There is a limit, right? The older ones start to disappear when the newer ones are being made.

sevlag
June 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
bullet hole linger time is due to the amount of bullet holes being made at the time. There is a limit, right? The older ones start to disappear when the newer ones are being made.
yeah, they just decreased the amount of decals so they could add more features to halo 2 and 3 (but lets all agree H3 was a letdown)

FRain
June 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/060410/armory.jpg
Hmm, very customizable.

Comes full with
HELMET
RIGHT SHOULDER
LEFT SHOULDER
CHEST
BLUR
BLUR
BLUR
KNEE GUARDS
BLUR
BLUR

Cagerrin
June 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM
codpiece and shinplates, and the very least

FRain
June 4th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I want to be able to change my type of knife. I dont want to use the standard combat knife, and I also want to change knife position. Rather have it on my right arm (like Emile) rather than my chest piece.

BobtheGreatII
June 4th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Does anyone else think that the hand guards make the hands look all stumpy and dumb... : /

EX12693
June 5th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Yes.

Pyong Kawaguchi
June 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
cHCcoa75MvQ
What does korn think, shenanigans, or real?
Its probably fake, but where did they get the tools to modify hud and such?

FRain
June 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Fake for two reasons.
OLD sprint icon
Halo 3 Arms, and animations
fake

Delta4907
June 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Fake for two reasons.
OLD sprint icon
fake
And the bsp is from Cortana.

jcap
June 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
That is so fake it's terrible. Nice try though.

Aside from the massively obvious flaw with flood being on Reach...before they are even discovered in Halo 1........................

The very first thing to notice is in the bottom right corner. This was a massive oversight on his part. It's supposed to have characters 0-F (hex), but his is only decimal.

The main menu was the worst. First of all, the main menu background changes with every screen you view. Not only does the menu not change when he selects campaign, but the background is incorrect. It was made with After Effects or some other video editing app.

So then he continues a campaign mission...on Cortana. First thing to notice is how poorly done the red hurt effect and the "spawn" effect is. Actually, if he was really continuing from a save, he wouldn't even have that "spawn" effect from the visor. Also, the screen would still be displaying "Checkpoint...done." in the bottom left. Then you see that he's walking around in the sky of Cortana. He even does us the favor of looking around! He performed this stunt by getting to that location in Halo 3, then playing it back in theater without any HUD (just press B, remember?), and then he placed a Reach HUD in premiere. He didn't even have to worry about an ammo counter because he never fired his gun.

Also, check out the rest of the videos on his Youtube profile page. He has other fake videos of Reach. He actually says in the video description that they are fake and he made them with Adobe After Effects. I don't think anything more needs to be said.

5/10 for effort.

Arteen
June 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM
"Read the info for descriptions on new weapons, such as the Plasma Cannon"
It's like he's not even trying.

t3h m00kz
June 6th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Fake for two reasons.
OLD sprint icon
fake

Your two reasons aren't very sound.

OLD sprint icon

"pre-alpha." This means before the Alpha, which would have been before the gameplay trailer, which had the same Sprint icon.

game companies tend to use old assets when building new games. Remember the Halo 2 arms in the Halo 3 Spartan Laser picture? Unreal 99 assets were used in the Unreal Engine 2 demo.

It's safe to assume before Halo 2 was made, they started with Halo 1 and worked their way up. And I'm sure with Halo 3 they started with Halo 2 and worked their way up.

This would have had me fooled, personally, but the description says it's fake.

Heathen
June 6th, 2010, 02:40 AM
in the description he says its fake

sevlag
June 6th, 2010, 08:11 AM
it was a good try, had me fooled for abit till i saw the skybox

Spartan094
June 7th, 2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/060410/armory.jpg
Hmm, very customizable.

Comes full with
HELMET
RIGHT SHOULDER
LEFT SHOULDER
CHEST
BLUR
BLUR
BLUR
KNEE GUARDS
BLUR
BLUR
So I heard bungie likes blur things out. So I look into the strings and decided to put these
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Brandon094/armory.jpg
I would think the Visor in the strings would have changed to Visor Color or so. This is just my guess. So don't rage if I am wrong.

BobtheGreatII
June 7th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for ruining it. :(

Hotrod
June 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I spy with my little eye an ODST shoulder pad there.

=sw=warlord
June 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I thought I'd bring this back up again because I know there were a few people interested in it.
there seems to be a massive similarity between forge and carter.
http://img37.imageshack.us/i/forgeandcarter.jpg/

Darqeness
June 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM
They both have the generic bald space marine look to them :/

I don't think they'd have anything canonically in common.

Saggy
June 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thought this was interesting:

That said, we are still having fun with last minute “fixes” (which some could argue are really new features – shhh, don’t tell Harold, our CEO). For instance, I just came in today and met with our campaign design lead, Chris Opdahl, and he showed me something he and the engineers cooked up yesterday with vehicles vs. biped physics that I’ve been begging to see happen since I started Halo1 back in late 90s. I won’t spoil the fun by telling you what it is, but needless to say, it will make you a very happy player to finally see this.

-MarcusThis was found on the Halo: Reach development blog, Noble Actual (http://www.nobleactual.com) for those that don't know.

I wonder what thing regarding vehicles vs. bipeds could be so awesome. Anyone got any ideas?

Heathen
June 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Shit, I'm hard pressed to think of anything that has to do with vehicles vs. bipeds. Some new way that players are a little better at defending against splatters? I hope so, because when I start losing, I whore the ghost until I'm winning and even I think its a bitch tactic.

thehoodedsmack
June 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm hoping it's something to do with speeding into players and getting them stuck to the hood of your Warthog, blood filling dents in the metal, and helmets lodged in your windshield, grizzly trophies of your superb driving abilities.

Vehicles have been easy enough to avoid ever since the death of the "brush up against it and you're dead" system of the original Halo. I hope it's something less technical, and more fun.

Kornman00
June 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Someone suggested the ability to flip an oncoming vehicle, which seems like a likely DO-WANT feature from the Halo 1 days

teh lag
June 8th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I imagine it's something along the liens of what Hoodedsmack said. I'd almost want to see bodies stay in vehicles when they're killed in them, but of course one would then have to worry about how to get them *out* when a new player enters.

thehoodedsmack
June 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I imagine it's something along the liens of what Hoodedsmack said. I'd almost want to see bodies stay in vehicles when they're killed in them, but of course one would then have to worry about how to get them *out* when a new player enters.

That couldn't be too difficult, considering the systems already in place. It'd be like hijacking a vehicle, but instead of an active player, you're just removing a ragdoll. I like that idea.

EX12693
June 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Why not both those ideas? :haw:

TeeKup
June 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Vehicles don't need another factor in their destruction. They're already like paper as it is...

thehoodedsmack
June 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Also, the ability to flip moving vehicles would change the classic technique of well-placed grenades sending incoming vehicles tumbling. Not to mention the speed at which vehicles move would give you no time to pull it off. If you're A) close enough to flip a moving vehicle, and B) that vehicle is moving slowly enough to do so, you already have the option to hijack it. Adding such an element would also just confuse people as to why it takes two melee hits to kill a man, when you can send a full car flying with your bare fists.

Cagerrin
June 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Doesn't armour lock flip vehicles? because if it doesn't it ought to.

Spartan094
June 9th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Doesn't armour lock flip vehicles? because if it doesn't it ought to.
It made the banshee spin like crazy for me when I hit somebody, and the ghost on a few occasions. It just EMP's the vehicle when the vehicle hits the armour locked person.

=sw=warlord
June 11th, 2010, 04:50 AM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/825/orly.png (http://www.bungie.net/#)

FireDragon04
June 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just for those who haven't seen yet/want to discuss it:

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/061110/specops_inline.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/061110/species_inline.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/061110/recon.jpg

Read all about it on this weeks bungie weekly update: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_061110

teh lag
June 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Elite looks like a duck. Eugh.

annihilation
June 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I think they look like General Grevious.

sevlag
June 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
looks k

English Mobster
June 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
This was my very first comment the very first time I saw someone playing Halo, as they were flying around Blood Gulch splattering people in the Banshee:
"It looks like an evil duck."

Futzy
June 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM
it does

TeeKup
June 13th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Fuck recon. Seriously. Goddamnit.

ThePlague
June 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
The elite looks like a jaguar or something. Fucking win compared to the h3 shit.

Cagerrin
June 13th, 2010, 06:25 PM
The elite looks like a jaguar or something. Fucking win compared to the h3 shit.
dot

also this game had better have forerunner stuff or I'm piss. Recon sucked for that very reason.

English Mobster
June 13th, 2010, 09:49 PM
In the books, it was determined that Reach WAS a Forerunner construct, after all...

TeeKup
June 14th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I don't recall Reach ever being mention has a Forerunner construct. I know it had an installation concerning the crystal but that's it.

FireDragon04
June 14th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I don't recall Reach ever being mention has a Forerunner construct. I know it had an installation concerning the crystal but that's it.

You are correct good sir, The Menachite Forerunner Complex (aka 'The Temple') was the only Forerunner installation on Reach that we have been told about.
And yeah, the Menachite Forerunner Complex had the Crystal in it, which is actually one of the most bad ass things the Forerunner made, that wasn't the Rings themselves.

sevlag
June 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
just please no flood, tired of zomg flood

im gonna be happy when thsi game and new vegas comes out, I'll have a reason to sell modern letdown 2

Futzy
June 14th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Theres not going to be any flood

Hunter
June 14th, 2010, 07:59 AM
New recon looks shit... I am liking the Elite amour.

From those screenshots it looks very different from the Beta and I might actually conside buying this game now. Nice change from CampoD

Arteen
June 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Fuck space battles.

Futzy
June 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
That was quite amazing. Space battles are fantastic

=sw=warlord
June 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm uploading to bungie presentation to my youtube now for if anyone missed it.

Hotrod
June 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'm uploading to bungie presentation to my youtube now for if anyone missed it.
Let me know when you put that up.

=sw=warlord
June 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Let me know when you put that up.

Should be up in 20 minutes.
Fraps allowed me to record the entire thing.

E:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tjxI0VAdA