PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania college has a "too-fat-to-graduate" rule.

Jean-Luc
December 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
And it's coming under fire. (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/30/lincoln.fitness.overweight/index.html)

Personally, I think this rule is absolutely brilliant and more colleges should implement it. While I can understand what the student is saying in the article (College is for an education after all), obesity is a serious problem in this country and having a class to get certain people to a healthier weight is certainly not a bad thing.

Any thoughts?

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
I, too, agree that this rule is smart. As long as they don't do what the military does and judge you by your size vs height & weight. Some people are just fucking huge (read: muscle wise)due to weight lifting or just naturally. Sometimes it is also due to medical reasons. However, if gov't health care makes it, I think a questionable weight problem due to "possible" medical reasons should be nixed. As long as the care is provided, a student can't claim 'well I have a problem but I don't have the monies to medically prove it! now give my fat ass a certificate!"

CrAsHOvErRide
December 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
I support this idea but one should always be reminded that this is on the edge of violating human rights.

Jean-Luc
December 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I support this idea but one should always be reminded that this is on the edge of violating human rights.
While true, it's worth remembering that "rights" aren't always positive things. I'd be willing to bet more than 75% of all obese people are fully capable of getting in shape; they just don't do it.

Also, seeing as obesity is such a major health issue, it's a little disconcerting that the taxpayers have to pay for someone's health simply because he can't control his eating.

ZeRk`
December 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Never heard of Lincoln. Must be by Phili.

I thinks its a funny yet unjustly rule.

FreedomFighter7
December 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, really? You all somehow, in same really twisted way think this is "smart" or "ok"?

The whole idea infuriates me.

Some people really do have a medical problem with their weight, like me. My pills have caused me to gain weight, and I can't go off them, ever. This is very unfair and wrong. Are you some kind of Euro Snob or something? Ameri-hater? Before someone starts lecturing me on how Jean Luc might be american, its still possible for americans (most likely not citizens born here) to be against us. The song "american idiot" from Green Day comes to mind, and Green Day is a US band.

While true, it's worth remembering that "rights" aren't always positive things. Are you kidding?

This is borderline Totalitarianism, imagine a future where the government makes things illegal because it is bad for people. This may not be the government implementing this rule, but its getting close.

leorimolo
December 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Are you serious? This is plainly unconstitutional, you can't have an institution discriminate you because of your appearance, sex, age, health especially an educating facility that will basically deny you an education because your fat? I'm sorry this isn't fair. I have plenty of friends that are fat and do excersice alot more than I do and me on the other day sit on my ass all day and I'm still considered healthier.

p0lar_bear
December 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Are you serious? This is plainly unconstitutional, you can't have an institution discriminate you because of your appearance, sex, age, health especially an educating facility that will basically deny you an education because your fat? I'm sorry this isn't fair. I have plenty of friends that are fat and do excersice alot more than I do and me on the other day sit on my ass all day and I'm still considered healthier.

Except colleges are private institutions afaik. You accept their terms and pay them money to get what you want, in this case, a diploma. They aren't like public schools that are owned and run by the government or municipalities, paid for by taxes.

I personally support this, also being overweight. If my college had this course as a requirement, I'd have no qualms with taking it. I simply don't go to gyms or excercise etc because I don't have the time or desire to on my own accord.

Limited
December 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think this is a horrendous idea. I hate it.

Dont get me wrong, I do feel strongly that people should get exercise, and obese people probably arent getting enough. But dont force people to do it, to get a damn degree.

I feel this should be optional, if you want to do it, great, and you should be rewarded with extra points or whatever. Making this compulsory is not going to solve anything. You NEED the person, to be motivated to do exercise, you need them to be committed and what to do it for themselves, not just because they want a degree.

Basically, this is blackmail/bribery.

Now, I dont know what kind of college this is, if its soley a sports college, or fitness college, then yes I feel people should be fit, yet, again, people going there, should already be motivated about fitness and stuff.

If I'm doing a law degree, and some idiot tells me, I won't get the degree, even if I work my arse off, getting 1sts in everything, top pupil of the college, just because of my weight, I will tell them to fuck right off.

Whatevers next, them requiring you to be not underweight? Not being a smoker? Not being a drinker? This is bullshit, they shouldnt tell you how to live your life. Smoking and drinking can be even WORSE than weight issues. So whats to stop them stepping in and also deeming that a requirement too?

CodeBrain
December 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Edit: HEH DISREGARD THIS POST AS I CLEARLY DON'T READ ARTICLES :downs:

leorimolo
December 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
Except colleges are private institutions afaik. You accept their terms and pay them money to get what you want, in this case, a diploma. They aren't like public schools that are owned and run by the government or municipalities, paid for by taxes.

I personally support this, also being overweight. If my college had this course as a requirement, I'd have no qualms with taking it. I simply don't go to gyms or exercise etc because I don't have the time or desire to on my own accord.
So I can still make an all white kids school in the US and not get shit for it? <- Serious Question.

p0lar_bear
December 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure as long as it's owned and run by you, and there are no stockholders or whatever for it, you're not doing anything illegal. You'd still be getting shit for it, like how this college is getting shit for this rule, though.

I'm not 110% sure about it, but I think I've heard that public businesses need to be run a certain way, whereas private businesses can be run however the owner pleases.

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM

I personally support this, also being overweight. If my college had this course as a requirement, I'd have no qualms with taking it. I simply don't go to gyms or excercise etc because I don't have the time or desire to on my own accord.
dis.

pedo bear even says he just doesn't have the time (plus...well, desire, but hush on that for a second). They say you have to take an additonal "course". This idea is good, as it puts it into your school agenda. However, I also realize this could impede other schooling activities. With that said, this isn't a topic that should just be summerized like in a news column.

I honestly think all of you people who agree with this rule are fucking retarded.

Why the flying fuck would you agree to this unconstitutional rule? Who really cares if you obese, it's YOUR choice.

[etc]
Just how it is YOUR choice to be a fast food junkie, it is also your choice to apply for the school you want. School doesn't jive with your lifestyle? Find another one or change your lifestyle, which isn't healthy to begin with.

I should note that I agree with the idea of this rule. Not saying I agree with what this college may define as "2fat2blubberious". Just like the military, things aren't always so black and white and thus there need to be exceptions. TBQH, if you're 100lbs over what is healthy for your age/height/gender/ethnicity (yes, that last one can play a part), you should be put to shape or put out.

Also, who would you rather choose to hire? A slow moving brick, or a leaner lab rat? Medical problems means company problems (either from missed work or from medical expenditures). This kind of rule can help you prepare for work after school. Now you have a few years to get it together instead of going into the interview "oh wait...yeah, you're not what we're looking for" and now have a set image in that company's head. Hell, with this on your record, it could move the company in your favor. "This hiree did more than just study to graduate. They literally worked their butt off to make sure they got the schooling and certificate they wanted".

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
So I can still make an all white kids school in the US and not get shit for it? <- Serious Question.
AFAIK, priv schools usually get funded from the priv attendees families/alumni...which hey, may work out in your case :haw:

Unless, of course, you're in a maj black sector :downs:

Dwood
December 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
If you want an all-white school, move to Oklahoma or Utah or Idaho. And yes, basically, if it's a private school they can basically do whatever they want... If people don't like the rule they can always go to another college. There's plenty to go around.

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
I feel this should be optional, if you want to do it, great, and you should be rewarded with extra points or whatever. Making this compulsory is not going to solve anything. You NEED the person, to be motivated to do exercise, you need them to be committed and what to do it for themselves, not just because they want a degree.

If I'm doing a law degree, and some idiot tells me, I won't get the degree, even if I work my arse off, getting 1sts in everything, top pupil of the college, just because of my weight, I will tell them to fuck right off.

Whatevers next, them requiring you to be not underweight? Not being a smoker? Not being a drinker? This is bullshit, they shouldnt tell you how to live your life. Smoking and drinking can be even WORSE than weight issues. So whats to stop them stepping in and also deeming that a requirement too?
It can solve the problems. If you really want to graduate from a specific college, then I'd assume you'd study your ass off for it right? What makes working out so much different? You're just working a different part of your body. I'll have you know that exercise does play a role in your mind's development. So, like say: college = optional. Motivated to go there? Should be motivated to fit their requirements to graduate. This really is no far different than being another credit you need to graduate. It just isn't your "typical" by-the-book (literally, figuritivly- sp?) credit. Change isn't always a bad thing, as long as it is executed properly.

Why would you be willing to work your ass off for a law degree but not want to put forth the effort to maintain a healthy weight? As stated in a earlier post, there should be exceptions for medical issues causing the overweight (ie, petuitary gland, sp again, sry using IE not Firefox).

As for your last point: they should include those too. However, for the booze, they should just require that you don't ever come up under legal or health problems from it (ie, fucked up liver, 'sup). Again, college is a choice. They didn't tell you to try and graduate there (unless this got implemented after you started your tuition) and thus aren't telling you how to live your life. Only the life that you'll have to maintain in order to pass under their diploma standards.

Also, I haven't heard anyone mention the teachers...shouldn't they also be under a simliar guideline?

legionaire45
December 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Normally I'd disagree with forcing glorified PE on students.

However, this is a privately run institution. I agree with what Korn said; if you don't like it, find somewhere else to go.

There should be a fat tax. If you're over a certain BMI, you get taxed to pay off the inevitable medical expenses that you burden society with. Same with cigarettes and alcohol imo.

That would do more to get rid of obesity in this country than having Obama preach about how video games are making children fat in this country yatta yatta.

[/straw-man-argument]

SnaFuBAR
December 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Airlines implemented double seat payment for the severely obese, this college is concerned for the health of the attendees. Not a big deal. You guys are acting as if this is any more disgusting than the glorified consumption the morbidly obese so display.

Limited
December 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure as long as it's owned and run by you, and there are no stockholders or whatever for it, you're not doing anything illegal. You'd still be getting shit for it, like how this college is getting shit for this rule, though.

I'm not 110% sure about it, but I think I've heard that public businesses need to be run a certain way, whereas private businesses can be run however the owner pleases.
Its unethical, yet colleges have huge strict ethical guidelines that students have to follow whilst doing their work. Double standard? Its also very discriminating.

As for the "dont like it, dont go there" attitude, you do realise, people who have been there for 3 years already, before they brought in this rule, now have to follow it? Therefore they had no chance of declining it because they are already in the system, they spent 3 years now working on it.

I asked my housemate, who is doing a fitness course, he said he couldnt believe it. Also surely if they have an america football team, some of those are "classed" as overweight.

mech
December 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Guys we have it backwards, everyone should be obese to graduate.

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Its unethical, yet colleges have huge strict ethical guidelines that students have to follow whilst doing their work. Double standard? Its also very discriminating.

As for the "dont like it, dont go there" attitude, you do realise, people who have been there for 3 years already, before they brought in this rule, now have to follow it? Therefore they had no chance of declining it because they are already in the system, they spent 3 years now working on it.

um

try[/I] and graduate there (unless this got implemented after you started your tuition) and thus aren't telling you how to live your life.
I do realize this, which is why I brought up the condition that this should only affect those AFTER this is signed into a condition of graduation. Don't colleges have some kind of user agreement (lol)?

2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, esp. the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.
There is a difference between enforcing a non-cheating rule to graduate than enforcing all attendees to have a certain WPA.

Weight Point Average :-3

Limited
December 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
You do realise, there are a TON of ethical guidelines...

p0lar_bear
December 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM

Depends on the college. Colleges are businesses, and while they may be similar, no two are exactly alike.

Cojafoji
December 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
As a fairly large man, (read half bear, half fat man) I oppose this.

But, as a private institution, they can do whatever the fuck they want...

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Like p0lar said, tones of colleges...or rather: TONES of colleges

Survival of the fittest (irony: fit-test). Either adapt and change or improvise and cut corners via another college. To me, being obease (read: not just "fat", but excessivly over a healthy limit) is just a bad signal. Granted, it really wont make me dislike a person more than the next, but first impressions last a long time. 10$ says companies won't send the Good Year Blimp employee out to make their says.

You're telling me, that even if a person is over 100lbs of a healthy weight that you still consider an institution to be in the wrong for trying to not only prepare them for life via studies but also shape wise?

Have you ever been to America? I've never been to the UK, but on average, how many people rumminging your streets have exploding waists lines?
Even using a "bad genetics" excuse for them, there still is an issue to be raised: why are such bad genes still producing on a large scale? Obeasity is a real fucking issue, at least from what I've seen in Americans. Someone has to make a stand instead of just saying things on TV.

The younger such a laziness (like unmaintained weight) is "trained" into behavior, the more noticable the output will be. It is just like a retirement fund. Today's youth equals tomorrows parents, equals tomorrows grandparents. 'Trickle down' doesn't just apply to the world's money, but also in habits.

CodeBrain
December 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
I assumed this was for all Pennsylvania colleges, not just one.

Sorry for the arrogant post.

Timo
December 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
University is a test of your intelligence, not your fitness. I guess it's a good idea but it's not a good way to get a handful of people who would already be already under stress to then spare a few hours a week in an attempt to lose weight.

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
University is a test of your intelligence, not your fitness. I guess it's a good idea but it's not a good way to get a handful of people who would already be already under stress to then spare a few hours a week in an attempt to lose weight.
It should be (one way to) a test of your ability to live and adapt your future. Obeasity has health concerns, which over time will cause a cascading effect on the body (organs, bones, etc). Being able to instill a concept of a healthy body into a learning mind can have multiudes of benefits not just on the individual themself, but the surrounding community as well (micro and maco). This is especially true of a nation wide medical plan if the people are the ones being taxed to institue such a system.

Raising the point about the already stressed students: it has been proven that people are harder to change after 20. Obviously better plans should be installed in early development schools (pre, elementry, etc). However, I won't hold my breath on this. What with the already overall shit structure they have for the nation schooling system anyway. Also the cafe foods which they provide. Hooray for frying pans!

Jean-Luc
December 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
1) Some people really do have a medical problem with their weight, like me. My pills have caused me to gain weight, and I can't go off them, ever. This is very unfair and wrong.

2)Are you some kind of Euro Snob or something? Ameri-hater? Before someone starts lecturing me on how Jean Luc might be american, its still possible for americans (most likely not citizens born here) to be against us. The song "american idiot" from Green Day comes to mind, and Green Day is a US band.

1) Yes, some people have a condition that means they can't prevent obesity. I fully respect that and I wouldn't force a class like this upon one of those people (although the benefits of exercise remain).

2) I was born, raised, and live in America and I love this country. However, I am critical of it. We have many, many problems and flaws that need to be addressed and if you consider me an "Ameri-hater" simply because I want these problems fixed, that's your problem.

Are you kidding?

This is borderline Totalitarianism, imagine a future where the government makes things illegal because it is bad for people. This may not be the government implementing this rule, but its getting close.

I'll admit I could have worded that better but the overall message still stands. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it's good for you. I could smoke a pack a day and essentially commit a slow suicide, but that doesn't mean it's okay.
I don't know why you take any criticism of America as "America hate" Freedomfighter, but I can promise you that you'll run into some trouble if you keep it up irl.

Cojafoji
December 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
The beginning and the end of the obesity debate is that the kids are lazy, and that parents, these days, are shit.

teh lag
I think the title of this thread is pretty misleading. It's not like you can't graduate if your BMI is over 300. You have to take a class - oh no, not a class!

This policy was enacted in 2006. It's only now that people are shitting themselves in indignation and rage, because they've realized that they couldn't fit in a 3-hour-a-week class for all of their 4 years at the place and don't want to be held to the rules they agreed to follow.

I wonder how many people here bothered to actually read (as opposed to skim) the article before getting mad about it.

MetKiller Joe
I'm guessing Lincoln is a private institution, and, in which case, they probably had this stated somewhere (and if not well, either sue or transfer, but if you can't, tough luck; you aren't dead, stop whining). So, firstly, if students didn't like that one of requirements is that you can't be "fat" according to some, they could go to another college. So, why they are complaining as they are graduating just tells me these people didn't RTFM and prepare themselves.

Secondly, this the argument is that individuals who slowly kill themselves or do something "bad" to their body has 3rd party effects. Oh well, life is full of risks (sorry to say ladies and gents). We all have family members; they have bad habits, and yet we deal with them because we love them. Being fat just means you are unattractive to people; oh well, you decide whether that's enough incentive to excersize, not somebody else. Obesity means that you have a higher risks of heart related problems, and, again, that is something you should worry about, nobody else. It is stupid, but I wouldn't go to a college that has such a stupid rule because I'd be worried about who is running it.

My two cents.

=sw=warlord
December 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
This.
There are alot of people who are too busy studying for college/university and working to pay off the bills to afford a 12 month contract with a gym theyl have little chance of using.
A friend one mine is currently in university and working 50 hours a week, how she doe's it im not too sure because the course shes doing i am sure is very stressfull and has alot of work behind it.
5 to 10 grand per yearly course is no easy payment for a student.
Im glad it's only one college and over there than over here as i could quite easily see alot of people telling the college board exactly where to you and unfortunately for the auzzies here they would probably tell them to go south.

Timo
December 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
It should be (one way to) a test of your ability to live and adapt your future. Obeasity has health concerns, which over time will cause a cascading effect on the body (organs, bones, etc). Being able to instill a concept of a healthy body into a learning mind can have multiudes of benefits not just on the individual themself, but the surrounding community as well (micro and maco). This is especially true of a nation wide medical plan if the people are the ones being taxed to institue such a system.

If you were forced to lose weight though, how would degrees be adapted to show that you also lost 25 pounds? People won't want to pay to go to university and lose weight if they don't see any benefit from it (other than obvious health benefits).

Raising the point about the already stressed students: it has been proven that people are harder to change after 20. Obviously better plans should be installed in early development schools (pre, elementry, etc). However, I won't hold my breath on this. What with the already overall shit structure they have for the nation schooling system anyway. Also the cafe foods which they provide. Hooray for frying pans!

Won't someone be able to cry about this being against the constitution somehow as well? :america:

Heathen
December 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM
I actually think its wrong. Let fat people be fat. They die quicker anyways.

If they choose to look disgusting and be treated like fat useless pieces of shit for their whole life then its their choice.

Con
December 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
this.

Good on 'em for trying to make a difference and trying something new.

Heathen
December 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
this.

Good on 'em for trying to make a difference and trying something new.

ah, polar is right. It IS their school, so if they don't want you being fat, technically they can.

Arteen
December 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
They have to take a single, extra course to graduate? Boo hoo.

Cojafoji
December 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
round up the fatties and stuff them into camps. force them to work. all of the worlds problems TODAY are being caused by FAT people.

=sw=warlord
December 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
round up the fatties and stuff them into camps. force them to work. all of the worlds problems TODAY are being caused by FAT people.
Like the jews in nazi germany?

Sel
December 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM

I'm with fatty.

Kornman00
December 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know why you take any criticism of America as "America hate" Freedomfighter, but I can promise you that you'll run into some trouble if you keep it up irl.
A real patriot should be both critical of the successes and failures of their host country. Otherwise they just end up like how the rest of the uninitiated world wants to stereotype us: stubborn, lazy, disrespectful morons. And dare I say...fat :haw:?

If you were forced to lose weight though, how would degrees be adapted to show that you also lost 25 pounds? People won't want to pay to go to university and lose weight if they don't see any benefit from it (other than obvious health benefits).

Won't someone be able to cry about this being against the constitution somehow as well? :america:
I'll leave the implementations (and the easy way out of the q lol) up to the people who are suppose to plan this. However, should they really just be showing actual numbers, or a different kind of scale (per say)?

And absolutely. What day goes by without someone screaming "ack! my rights!", grounded or ungrounded.

It's just one of those things that are a good idea...but could never be implemented by the people entrusted with such powers. Like communism. *sigh*. Someone should land the plane before they add any more new "features" to it. Or else the snow ball will continue.

Timo
December 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
They should make people run on treadmills when they wait in line at McDonalds instead

Good_Apollo
December 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Are you kidding, how can anyone support this?

Wait, it's an internet forum, I'm no longer shocked nor care.

Jean-Luc
December 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Are you kidding, how can anyone support this?

Wait, it's an internet forum, I'm no longer shocked nor care.

I guess it's wrong to want people to be physically healthy and not be a burden on themselves and society :allears:

As p0lar said: If you don't like it, find a different school.

Good_Apollo
December 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ah yes, it's for the good of society.

[EDIT]I suppose we should drop all federal and state labor laws, private institutions have their rights!

Cojafoji
December 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Wir mussen die fett der welt ausrotten!

Jean-Luc
December 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Ah yes, it's for the good of society.

[EDIT]I suppose we should drop all federal and state labor laws, private institutions have their rights!
I'm just being a smartass. I understand that, legally, this is discrimination and that they'll be sued so fast their head will spin, but that doesn't stop me from admiring their intent. I think it's admirable to want (forcefully in this case) their students to be in healthy condition so they will have greater success in life.

=sw=warlord
December 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM
I guess it's wrong to want people to be physically healthy and not be a burden on themselves and society :allears:

As p0lar said: If you don't like it, find a different school.
Those syrup waffles don't help you lot either.
I seem to remember anorexic's are just as much as a trouble as well as overweight people but no one seems to really care about them do they?
Also i seem to remember there was a study ages back where people overweight are more likely to have troubles reproducing so that "burden" wont be much for too long.

Good_Apollo
December 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm just being a smartass. I understand that, legally, this is discrimination and that they'll be sued so fast their head will spin, but that doesn't stop me from admiring their intent. I think it's admirable to want (forcefully in this case) their students to be in healthy condition so they will have greater success in life.
Who doesn't want everyone to have great health? Fact is though, many people don't, and for some that's by choice.

Llama Juice
December 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I was able to drop my BMI from 31.7 to 23.1 in less than a year... you just have to make the effort.

The people that bitch about it are the people that NEED the course. Most people don't realize just how fucking EASY it is to lose all that weight in a healthy way. If you're actually taught how then there's the chance that those people may actually follow through and try to lose the weight.

This course is a GOOD thing. How they're doing it might be inappropriate, but the fact that someone is taking the effort to try to fix our horrid problem of obesity in our country.

Needles
December 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I think it's a cool little implementation made by the college, adding some P.E to the college or some mandatory fitness, like elementary or middle school.

PlasbianX
December 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
The college I go to has a program called "Lifetime Wellness" that counts as a core everyone has to have to graduate. Its a semester long class where you have to keep track of everything you eat, your exercise, etc. Your grade is based around how healthy you are to begin with, how healthy you end the course being, and if you make a significant change from start to finish.

paladin
December 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM

They have all the right to implement what they wants as an academic institution of higher education. No one is forcing them to attend school. HELL they agreed to this when they enrolled...

When the faculty first approved the fitness course requirement in 2006,2006,2006,2006 there were minimal concerns raised, he said. The intention is to spread the message that people in school, including high school and middle school, need more physical activity.

This shits 3 years old news... this was on the radio last week. The grad rule was implemented 3 years ago, and now that the graduating class has to apply for graduation, they are fining out that they cant because of it. The fat kids that cant graduate are making a fuss now. I love this rule. It should be applied to everything.

Lawson, who told CNN she had been putting off getting her BMI tested until this year, (Shes had 3 years....)recently found out she would have to take the class. At first angry, Lawson said she is now more "confused" about the requirement.

Also, you read the rule, if you have a BMI of over 30, you have to reduce it to 30 or lower by the time you graduate. If you cannot for some god awful reason, you have to take a half year class that suppose to help you reduce it. If for some reason that doesnt work, they havce to take one more class. and if all else fails, they can still graduate.

<30 a-o-k
>30
-loose the weight = a-o-k
-take the course and loose = a-o-k
-take both = a-o-k

Stop making excuses.... jfc

Bodzilla
December 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I remember hearing stories of this business that built their business on a large block of land and kept the buildings like 500m's apart purposely to force their employees to walk the distances they need daily to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Was a bit hard for the new guys at first but over time everyone loved it because everyone was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle without having to do shit outside of their normal work routine.

paladin
December 2nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
I remember hearing stories of this business that built their business on a large block of land and kept the buildings like 500m's apart purposely to force their employees to walk the distances they need daily to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Was a bit hard for the new guys at first but over time everyone loved it because everyone was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle without having to do shit outside of their normal work routine.

Things like this should be everywhere. Thats one thing I loved about going to a large school.

Kornman00
December 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Things like this should be everywhere. Thats one thing I loved about going to a large school.
It is why in basic training they make you (ruck) march everywhere :ugh:

Limited
December 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Clearly the majority of people here have no understand what the final year of higher education is actually like.

First 2 years pretty much mean jack shit, the last year is more independent and requires ALOT more work and ALOT more studying. I'm currently going to Uni, getting back and straight onto my work. I dont even have enough time to sleep, let alone do some crappy unit regarding fitness.

The people that bitch about it are the people that NEED the course. Most people don't realize just how fucking EASY it is to lose all that weight in a healthy way. If you're actually taught how then there's the chance that those people may actually follow through and try to lose the weight.Oh please, firstly I am not overweight, if anything I'm underweight, yet I dont agree the way they are implementing this at all.

Secondly, have you actually gone and had a fitness test llama? Checked your blood pressure? Had a cholesterol test?

I hope you realise, there are a lot more factors into being healthy, than just weight. Plus, last I heard you were a vegetarian, so unless your taking supplements, your probably already lacking vitamins and minerals. Just a note, I relise you lost a lot of weight, not discrediting you for that.

Oh and a final question, isnt physical edution a mandatory in the USA? Over here in the UK its mandatory in school.

Llama Juice
December 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Clearly the majority of people here have no understand what the final year of higher education is actually like. I'm in my final months of college, I know the extra classes twards the end that mean nothing are a pain.... but that's why I said their implementation is probably not putting it in right, but the fact that they're making the effort to solve this problem is huge. Also, if you're a student at this college it's not going to be a SURPRISE! EXTRA CLASS type thing, I'm sure everyone there knows about this course, it's up to them to get ready for it before hand.

First 2 years pretty much mean jack shit, the last year is more independent and requires ALOT more work and ALOT more studying. I'm currently going to Uni, getting back and straight onto my work. I dont even have enough time to sleep, let alone do some crappy unit regarding fitness.

Oh please, firstly I am not overweight, if anything I'm underweight, yet I dont agree the way they are implementing this at all.I figured you'd jump on this 'cause you're a skinny one.

Secondly, have you actually gone and had a fitness test llama? Checked your blood pressure? Had a cholesterol test? The big problems that vegetarians have with their health is iron and B12 deficiencies usually. I make sure to get enough B12, and my iron is fine. I donate blood bi monthly and they always test for iron content in blood and such. My blood pressure is 110/60. I haven't had a cholesterol test, but I see no reason why mine would be high.

I hope you realise, there are a lot more factors into being healthy, than just weight. Plus, last I heard you were a vegetarian, so unless your taking supplements, your probably already lacking vitamins and minerals. Just a note, I relise you lost a lot of weight, not discrediting you for that. I know there is, I'm physically active, and eat a lot better than most people do. Sure my diet has some flaws (read in final months of college, no time to sleep/make awesome food) but I still try to keep a healthy balance.

Oh and a final question, isnt physical edution a mandatory in the USA? Over here in the UK its mandatory in school.Yes in grade school at least where I grew up. The amount of PE that we had was laughable though. It didn't promote fitness, it was play time. If a class was mandatory where we had to watch our diet and write down everything we ate, and actually have the teacher look over it, tell us what we're doing right/wrong and how to fix it... then I think that would be invaluable. That's what I see the use in the class here, is that it seems like they're taking the effort to better educate the students as to how to get back into shape. Most people around the 30-35 BMI range don't realize that they're considered "Obese". I sure as hell didn't and neither did my girlfriend. (Her BMI is down to 24 now)

red of course means it's my responses

I don't know if they're teaching the students what I think they should be teaching them, but if they are then this class would be invaluable to those who need it. I think that it'd work better for the students if they had to take this class more than once, starting off earlier in the college career. If they were to have this class every year (slight changes and such of course so it's not the SAME course) and have a chunk of the grade be your physical improvement, then I think it'd be nothing but beneficial for those who need the course.

MetKiller Joe
December 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Shouldn't people learn for themselves what is healthy for them or not? Is it really somebody else's responsibility to make up for their lazyness? It is like school's trying to somehow instill discipline because the parents can't do it for some reason. I don't want people making me do what they think is best for me, at least not people who know nothing about me and could care less about me.

Cojafoji
December 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Visited a school like that once, and I've gotta say, it's a great idea. The cafeteria was probably 1/2 mile away from the school. It was crazy.

Limited
December 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'd have no problem whatsoever, if this was mandatory, for everyone. Because yes its great they'd teach people about being healthy and what not.

The fact it only singles out the obese people it what annoys me, can people who arent obese do this extra class?

llama, you should realise, people are different. Okay you managed to drop like nearly 10 on the BMI scale within a year, which is a great achievement. Other people find it hard to loose say 5 pounds in 3 months. People have different metabolisms, some people can shift weight easily, others, even if they try really hard have a huge problem.

PenGuin1362
December 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Well if people took better care of themselves it wouldn't be a problem. It's not a difficult thing to keep yourself healthy. Don't eat fast food for one, go to the gym for just an hour at least 3 times a week and even that will help you improve. If you cant afford that, put on some running shoes and jog around your house, do push-ups/pull-ups in your basement.

Problems like metabolism are more of an excuse (i understand it makes it harder but not impossible). Go on a diet and eat even healthier foods. Obesity is not just "oh you're fat i'm sorry" Your risk for heart disease, stroke, and certain kinds of cancer can jump substantially. Some people, with the way they take care of themselves, will be lucky to make it past 50. It's a major health risk to yourself and your future children (when someone in your family has a heart disease it increases the probability that future generations in your family will get it).

Llama Juice
December 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
I know that people are different and that different people have to work harder at dropping weight than others. My girlfriend had to work her ass off to lose the weight, but still in under a year she dropped like 75 lbs.

The article said that they can't afford to make EVERYONE take the class, which is understandable. They also justified it by saying it's like a math proficiency test where if you get less than a certain grade then you have to take an extra math class. I can understand why people would be upset with this one because it's harder to study for a "you're too large" class, but at the same time it's easier to know if you have to "study" for it.

I wouldn't be against it being mandatory for everyone, but the fact that it's only mandatory for larger people gives those people more of an incentive to lose the weight before having to take it.

Cojafoji
December 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
LOL Can you imagine, in a perfect world, if fatness were like alcoholism?

Me at FA (fatties anonymous):
My name is Bob...

and...

i've been a fatty for 8 years...

i've lost my family, my car, and my house, all because of my fattness.

but that's changed now! i've quit the fat, and i'm on my way to a better life!

Trulife8342
December 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
I love this college for this rule.
Stop being fatties and maybe you'll get some.
/thread?

MetKiller Joe
December 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I love this college for this rule.
Stop being fatties and maybe you'll get some.
/thread?

Meh, maybe they are content with being single, but I've seen plenty of fat couples. *shrug*

Why would you care? I could care about the 2-3 alcoholics I know irl, but they are somewhat depressing people. I've got my own baggage to deal with.

Would you tell your friend, "Hey, dude, you should totally go to the gym cause you are fat and you ain't gettin' any? (And actually mean it)" Or is it easier to do it to a 3rd party because you never have to talk to them about it?

I'm just curious; just seems strange to me.

mech
December 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Fat girls get all sorts of dick, and I honestly don't understand why.

PenGuin1362
December 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
^ haha.

Metkiller read what I posted about heart disease and shit. Being fat isn't any healthier then being an alcoholic. I know several people who have had serious issues because of obesity. One had survived a very expensive and incredibly risky heart surgery. the other few are still dealing with heart issues and are on all sorts of medication just so their heart wont shit the bed.

MetKiller Joe
December 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
^ haha.

Metkiller read what I posted about heart disease and shit. Being fat isn't any healthier then being an alcoholic.

I'm not arguing the degree of damage, I'm arguing why would you force somebody to do something you think is best for them when they should be able to decide for themselves? Again, to me its like coming up to a stranger and telling them, "Alright, now I'm going to make you go on this training regiment because I think it is good for you." It might be good for them, but it should be their decision, not yours.

PopeAK49
December 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Biggest loser goes to college?

TVTyrant
December 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Being fat isn't any healthier then being an alcoholic.
And your evidence is? I know a couple of alcoholics with extreme health problems, and many fat people who are completely healthy, have good blood pressure and cholesterol scores and aren't unable to function.

As a fat person, I find this kind of offensive. Seeing as how I was born 12 pounds, I've been fucking huge my whole life. My parents are big. My siblings are big. I'm BIG. Just because my genetics don't allow for the same rate of metabolism doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to graduate college. Especially since I'm pretty sure you could point at genetics for the majority of obesity among young people.
There's also the fact that most obese people are poor. This is because, if you haven't checked, most junk food is cheaper than food thats actually good for you. $2 for a bag of chips or $8 for the organic snack food? I don't find it really offensive because a good part of my weight comes from muscle that I've built up from lots of time in the weight room.
And I also dont know enough about the program to really put it under fire. If its based on BMI than its completely retarded, but if its based on athletic achievements such as running a mile under 12 minutes and other standards than I wouldn;t see a problem with it.

Cojafoji
December 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
i've made it a point to introduce bleeding sarcasm with every one of my posts in this topic (failing each time), but maybe people should just mind their own fucking business. see an alcoholic accross the street? fuck off. see a crack head crawling through a dumpster? fuck off. see a fatty enjoying an ice cream cone in the park? fuck off.

just saying, there's more wrong with the world than fatties, and maybe people should just stfu.

MetKiller Joe
December 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
i've made it a point to introduce bleeding sarcasm with every one of my posts in this topic (failing each time), but maybe people should just mind their own fucking business. see an alcoholic accross the street? fuck off. see a crack head crawling through a dumpster? fuck off. see a fatty enjoying an ice cream cone in the park? fuck off.

just saying, there's more wrong with the world than fatties, and maybe people should just stfu.

QFT

Edit: Also, I can't speak for other people, but I usually interpret that as trolling for the sake of trolling. In other words, I always interpret it as you seeking attention.

Horns
December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Seems fine to me, if you don't like it, find another school.

Llama Juice
December 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
There's also the fact that most obese people are poor. This is because, if you haven't checked, most junk food is cheaper than food thats actually good for you. $2 for a bag of chips or $8 for the organic snack food?

The problem isn't the price of these items, it's the items that you're buying.

If you're poor... and obese.... chips are the last thing you should buy. Guess how much a pear is.... usually around $0.60. A banana? $0.33. People always assume that eating healthy is expensive when it's TONS cheaper.

The vegetarian option at most places for example is usually a buck or two cheaper.... then... instead of getting the large... get a medium/small meal with WATER instead of your soda or whatever you're getting.

Firehouse Subs, awesome sub place... used to go there all the time. Their regular veggie sub is $5.11. Most people get the larger one with the combo... which comes out to a little over $8.

The healthier option is cheaper here, just like in almost every situation. The problem is that there's a lot MORE junk food out there... and people think that they NEED junk food for some reason.

Here's a quick one... don't go to any fast food places or eat any junk food/drink soda for a month.... see what your budget turns out to be.

mech
December 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Lets talk about really skinny people.

Timo
December 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
My BMI is 18, and I eat whatever I want. I'm probably going to die when I reach 25, though :[

p0lar_bear
December 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
My BMI is 18, and I eat whatever I want. I'm probably going to die when I reach 25, though :[

Hurry up and move to America, you'll turn pleasantly plump. :realsmug:

MetKiller Joe
December 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM

16.9 :realsmug:...

..:gonk:

Reaper Man
December 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM

Me too :neckbeard:

Hurry up and move to America, you'll turn pleasantly plump. :realsmug:
Hasn't happened so far~

Kornman00
December 3rd, 2009, 12:44 AM

However, these "fatties" are trying to join the school, they aren't just standing across the street at the ice cream store nom-ing.

If you're poor... and obese.... chips are the last thing you should buy. Guess how much a pear is.... usually around $0.60. A banana? $0.33. People always assume that eating healthy is expensive when it's TONS cheaper.

The vegetarian option at most places for example is usually a buck or two cheaper.... then... instead of getting the large... get a medium/small meal with WATER instead of your soda or whatever you're getting.

Firehouse Subs, awesome sub place... used to go there all the time. Their regular veggie sub is $5.11. Most people get the larger one with the combo... which comes out to a little over $8.

The healthier option is cheaper here, just like in almost every situation. The problem is that there's a lot MORE junk food out there... and people think that they NEED junk food for some reason.

Here's a quick one... don't go to any fast food places or eat any junk food/drink soda for a month.... see what your budget turns out to be.
I agree with Juice. Llama Juice. I used to work at a Firehouse Subs too. First and last food place I'll ever work at, by choice. Nice place, but I just hate preparing food for other people lol. Ugh, lunch times, ugggggggggggggh.

In a month, I spend about 200$ on food. However $25+ of that is usually on junkier foods (Wheat Thins "original", Reese's PB cups). I DO NOT regularly eat at fast food places. I've visited a fast food at most once a month this year (mostly out of having no other choice), and they're always the most money out of my pocket.

Expand for habits.

I only drink water during the week. On the weekens I may indulge in a Sobe (plain or with a Malibu mix if I'm socializing). I used to spend almost 5$ on a 6 pack of 1.5L water bottles (culligan). Then I found a french import (Celtic) which had the same amount but at around 2.50$ instead. The Sobes cost me less than $1 each.

For breakfast, I eat either Kashi-brand cereal (w/o milk of any kind, don't drink it) or Light Tuna (in water, Chicken of the Sea brand) in low carb/fat Toufayan wraps (with pepper jack cheese usually). I also use the Kashi cereal as a snack too.

For lunch/dinner I usually go with a soy-based pattie that I throw on my George Forman (or w/e his name is) grill. Usually with a side of Wheat Thins (low fat, or low sodium, or Original types). I do still eat meat products, just not that often. I had turkey, of course, this past Thanksgiving.

Besides cereal I also snack on trail-mix type stuff too. Very few things I consume are meaningless in value. The exceptions are the Reese's PB cups, Cheetos (small snack bag sizes) and I would say the Wheat Thins themselves. There are a few other snacks I eat too, but they're nothing really typical. I also buy apples and bananas.

I was calculated at 9% body fat when I first saw my recruiter (was around 132lbs) in 2005. After 3.5 years in the Army I've seen as much as 154lbs, but currently at 146lbs.

Trulife8342
December 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
I support the college, if this was a high school then its fucking with peoples constitutional rights. But its a private institution and I would LOVE for ALL colleges to adopt this rule. Maybe then we won't have fat fucks who die at the age of 35 due to a heart attack, and oh I don't know maybe be able to actually do something with their lives. I don't see whats to discuss here really, The college is well within its rights to make its own rules and tbh its not a rule that hurts anyone in any way. Are we really that lazy as a society where we actually get angry when people are trying to save lives?

If so, please. Grab a cheeseburger and kill yourself, this world would be MUCH better without you.

PenGuin1362
December 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
And your evidence is? I know a couple of alcoholics with extreme health problems, and many fat people who are completely healthy, have good blood pressure and cholesterol scores and aren't unable to function.

numerous amounts of articles i've read of the past several years, personal experience with people i know, members of my family went to school for nutrition and personal training. Also, the negative affects of alcoholism can show up quicker than those of obesity.

paladin
December 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Seems fine to me, if you don't like it, find another school.

Also, korn... ha

ym0_irSi6YI

Kornman00
December 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Also, korn... ha

Hey, don't blame me for your shitty school's shitty online services. Just get your shit together so it's not all shitty vOv

paladin
December 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
:O unoi<3u

supersniper
December 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
according to the BMI calculator i'm normal weight
5'8'' and 127 lbs

Jean-Luc
December 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ideal weight for a 5'8" male is 139-169lbs

Methinks you need to put on some muscle.

PenGuin1362
December 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
according to the BMI calculator i'm normal weight
5'8'' and 127 lbs

FATTY!

SnaFuBAR
December 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
supersizesniper is more like it, fatass

JackHolez
December 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Don't care what you guys think, but I would say not graduating because of this baby is worth it:

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/windows-7-burger.jpg

Look at how fucking tasteful that thing would be!

paladin
December 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
how many patties is that, 7?

supersniper
December 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
well i did get 3 hamburgers with no mustard from BK today...
omg I'm MORBIDLY OBESE :(

InnerGoat
December 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Ah yes the windows 7 burger, made to advertise windows 7, the ultimate computar e opperating system`

paladin
December 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
haha

TeeKup
December 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Don't care what you guys think, but I would say not graduating because of this baby is worth it:

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/windows-7-burger.jpg

Look at how fucking tasteful that thing would be!

You need to...not...ever again.

Kornman00
December 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM
You need to...not...ever again.
The meat might be the end of him. Not because of how much of it he is snake-jawing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAwcj6d8XTQ) in his mouth, but how badly that meat looks undercooked.

paladin
December 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Humans can digest raw meat hth

Bodzilla
December 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
not a wise idea with pattys because the meat has effectively been exposed on every surface.

Kornman00
December 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Humans can digest raw meat hth
fine line between the meat humans hunted and killed hundreds of years ago and the processed meat of cows who live off other processed materials.

not to mention the packaging between the processing plant and the specific fast food location's freezer then to the frying pan of the poorly kept fast food place.

don't judge a book by it's cover. same goes for your food. hth

paladin
December 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
haha. your so smart

mech
December 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I had the 1 dollar double cheeseburger from Burger King today, it was disgusting.

Dwood
December 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
the meat humans hunted and killed hundreds of years ago

People were eating meat like that in the 1850s. that's not hundreds of years ago.

:eng101:

Kornman00
December 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm sure most people who lived in the 1850s cooked their meat in some way

it still doesn't equal the way we eat or beat our meat nowadays. At least then it was usually a fresh kill

paladin
December 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Also, European Fast Food> American Fast Food

Llama Juice
December 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'm fairly certain American fast food is the lowest form of "nutrition" on the planet.

MetKiller Joe
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
You haven't been to eastern Europe.

Kornman00
December 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
You haven't been to eastern Europe.
donar meat :gonk:

Timo
December 9th, 2009, 01:19 AM
KFC and triple cheeseburgers are pretty much man's greatest inventions.

p0lar_bear
December 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
KFC and triple cheeseburgers are pretty much man's greatest inventions.

This is coming out of a twiggy New Zealander, folks. :ohdear:

Jean-Luc
December 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
In-N-Out Burger is the best fast food ever :iamafag:

paladin
December 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
donar meat :gonk:

At this on place in Berlin, they used Camel, though the sign said lamb :gonk:

mech
December 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Fried hoaers legs are pretty good.

blind
December 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
great rule. should be imposed years earlier in public school, hope that fucking helps.