PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Mombasa Bay

bobsam
December 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Alright so this is a map based RIGHT next to Zanzibar. I have been working on this for about 3 weeks now, and now I have finished the model, this is where I need you help. I need someone who texture and UV the map.:ohdear: And help me smooth the map as you can see it needs some smoothing. :iamafag: See I can only model I can't do the Texturing shit. Anyway enough talkingand more pictures. Also I made the concept of this map in drama class.:downs:
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone1.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone2.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone3.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone4.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone5.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone6.png

English Mobster
December 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone3.png
That building is waaaay too plain. Add some detail in there somewhere. Look at ODST/H3 concept art, look at what they did to add detail to their buildings.
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/MombasaBayDone.png
That thing up top... EW. Demolish it, it looks HORRIBLE IMO.
Also, looooooooong extrusion is looooooooooooong. Extrusions/insets =/= adding detail. It doesn't even look nice in the slightest bit there. If it's supposed to be a window or something, again, looking at ODST concept art would help you.

Inferno
December 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Smooth your terrain FFS it's not hard. Just select your terrain and apply a smooth group too it. The model is very plain and needs way more detail. Never make perfectly square doors. They look bad.

No one is ever going to want to texture that.

Also there is no game play value from the looks of the map. Where are the bases? Where is water supposed to be? Where is the cover? Why are the interiors so plain?

My advice is to go take a look at Last Resort and Zanzibar. Plan your layout. Get your concept art right. And then start over.

edit-

Oh and wire frame. Your terrain is way to high poly and un-natural looking.

Heathen
December 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
all too plain. the destruction is unrealistic. the placement of the metal rods in the hole dont make much sense.

and will you be able to see zanzibar?

Lateksi
December 2nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
The middle is too open. No one's gonna want to walk through it when there's someone with a pistol or sniper rifle.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
The middle is too open. No one's gonna want to walk through it when there's someone with a pistol or sniper rifle.

I will add rocks (PalmTrees mb If I can get a nice one )

@EnglishMobster I can add some detail to the building but why Halo 3 ODST/Halo 3 refs when this is a based of a Halo 2 map...?

@Heathen What is so unrealistic about the damage?

@CN3089 Are you talking about the big door?

.Wolf™
December 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Halo 2/Halo 3 ODST/Halo 3 is all at the same time. Well not exactly at the same time. Add larger damaged areas also, it might be easier if you dont want to add more details.

FRain
December 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
@EnglishMobster I can add some detail to the building but why Halo 3 ODST/Halo 3 refs when this is a based of a Halo 2 map...?

Are you serious?

ODST takes place IN mombasa, and so does Zanzibar, so to be more detailed, you would probably want to look at ODST.

Sel
December 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Ignore everything english mobster says, because he is dumb.

oh wait, he looks like he's right about a lot of stuff this time!!

Also your cliffs have some awfully hard outwards transitions, now this would be fine in a real engine, but generally halo's cliffs look better entirely smooth and flowing, without those kind of details.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
See but what I mean is Halo 2 Had a lot less detail than Halo 3/ODST I'm not going make a map that is based next the location of Zanzibar (a not an extreme detailed map) Highly detailed. ALSO, this my first experience with land and cliffs, I am very new to making terrain. I can add some detail to the map and I honestly hated making the Damaged holes, (Also a first of me doing that) but I managed to do it and be happy that my first map isn't just a box with a bunch of vehicles and shit... Also the bases are sea walls like on the beach on Zanzibar.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
DOUBLE PINGAS!(post)
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/mombasabaywireframe.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/1bobsam1/mombasabaywireframe1.png

Donut
December 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
my only concern is with that catwalk thing you have going on there as an entrance into the base. it seems that it would bee too easy to fall off, and it seems like its too close to the front door to make a significant difference on gameplay. perhaps you could work it into the cliffs as a cave or something as that would solve both of those problems

LlamaMaster
December 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Your poly distribution is horrendous; it looks like you just tessellated everything to death. If you have huge blank walls beside a cluster of high poly terrain, you are doing something wrong. That model is beyond repair at this point.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention MY 3ds max 2010 seems to like to make 2 faces in one face...

Sever
December 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not even going to give you any critique until you come back with something worthy. I mean really, what the hell, none of that looks even remotely like human architecture.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
No textures? Also I'm adding more detail as we speak. Wasn't that kinda harsh Sever?

LlamaMaster
December 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
No textures? Also I'm adding more detail as we speak. Wasn't that kinda harsh Sever?
Yeah it was, but he is right. Textures aren't going to do anything at this point, and you certainly don't need to be adding more polys. I seriously doubt tool will compile that without a 1,000 painstaking errors, so you are better off remaking the model correctly.

Dwood
December 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
If he can get that thing ingame with placeholder textures he will receive my respect. :P

Con
December 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
The problem with tessellation is you create more edges than you need. Every edge on a surface should define shape. If you create all these edges before you know what you're going to do with them, then you have to work around all the extra geometry to get what you need. Tessellation in this application is a very top-down approach. You need to work bottom-up with simple, blocky shapes, then refine by adding edges only where they're needed.

Also, some things to look out for (all of these are caused by tessellation):
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5832/64695799.jpg

Sever
December 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Harsh?

No.

Not in the slightest. It's just a bunch of boxes with intrusions and a few angled edges. None of your 'buildings' even have an iota of a sense of purpose. Detailing can only go so far - for the construction to make sense, there must be function built into the foundation of the map. Right now all you have are a few boxes with some random-looking, 'broken'... catwalk thing. Rebuild the map from the structures up - don't even fucking touch the terrain, you suck at it right now (nothing wrong with that - I do as well) - and build them in a way that shows why they were built.

LlamaMaster
December 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Harsh?

No.

Not in the slightest.

I'm not even going to give you any critique until you come back with something worthy.That post made you sound like a shittier version of the old (mean) Snaf. Don't act like you're some hot shit. Go ahead and give crit, but don't start spewing your elitism.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well any way 1617 is mah poly count if I'm not mistaken.

Con
December 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Not in the slightest. It's just a bunch of boxes with intrusions and a few angled edges. None of your 'buildings' even have an iota of a sense of purpose. Detailing can only go so far - for the construction to make sense, there must be function built into the foundation of the map. Right now all you have are a few boxes with some random-looking, 'broken'... catwalk thing. Rebuild the map from the structures up - don't even fucking touch the terrain, you suck at it right now (nothing wrong with that - I do as well) - and build them in a way that shows why they were built.

I found it pretty harsh and out of character. While I agree with your points here, these should have been stated in your OP.

PopeAK49
December 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
You don't have to add 3d detail to everything guys. Alot of things you can use texture for. Even though the walls on his buildings don't have 3d detail doesn't mean he can't use window textures, door textures, etc. It's better to do that instead of modeling in a windows or door and adding texture to those later. If you are using the halo 2 bitmap source for this map then you will be fine. Just don't use a plain brick texture for those non detailed walls on your buildings.

I like the model though, keep it up!

paladin
December 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Looks like a decent start. You have some good ideas.

bobsam
December 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Pali! preAlso that is pretty much what I would like would be HELP with doing the textures WHEN I get to that point of texturing, thank you for pointing that out for others AK49. But I couldn't ever have worded it as good as you did.

SnaFuBAR
December 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Always avoid the "crumpled paper" look on your terrain. It doesn't look like anything but bad modeling or glaring errors. If i were you, i'd model details of the terrain you want FIRST, then fill in the polies between them. trying to bend, twist and contort your mesh just won't cut it.

The damage on the building is really not working out at all. It looks terrible. You need to take a look at pictures of buildings damaged by blasts, urban warfare, and lack of upkeep (abandoned) and the like. Same goes for those damaged rails...er...walkways?... idk. Figure out what you're trying to portray before you try to build it. Get references.

Simply another case of pursuing without a clue. Once you get some knowledge about anything you're trying to make you should hopefully improve.

E: if you want to learn game modeling, get the fuck out of halo and go to cryengine2 or ue3. If you want to learn to model, completely ignore halo.

if you want to just make shit for fun, low res, low effort, stick with halo.

Con
December 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
if you want to learn game modeling, get the fuck out of halo and go to cryengine2 or ue3. If you want to learn to model, completely ignore halo.

I want to comment on these before you get the wrong idea. While Halo is certainly not representative of current-gen game modeling, learning to model for Halo is an easy way to break bad modeling habits because of its unforgiving engine. If you want to learn to model, work with Halo, and only after you've learned basic modeling practices should you move on.

Kornman00
December 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
You know what would be a cool 3rd party tool in something like 3ds max (or something calculated in the in-game editor)? A damage simulator. So you can pick an effect from your game's assert library and choose the damage path, run it and then have the physics backend (try and) determine the after math in terms of geometry (which can then be baked in). Then the engine could also store the end state of the damage so the designer doesn't have to go in a add details for the damage (burnt ground decals and such).

Or just have an engine with destructable world geometry. However, that is no easy task.

Hunter
December 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Like Snaf said, model the structures and everything first then your ground. The general shapes are too blocky.

Make them more interesting, take a look at the level on Halo 3 where you destroy the AA Wraith and the Scarab on that cliff, there it a boat on there as well.

---

@Korn
So, your secret project is reveled :P

bobsam
December 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't really know what to say... I have added some stuff (Lights that were above some of the doors from Halo2 Outskirts) and fixing up the terrain :D

Inferno
December 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Seriously. There is no gameplay value in this map. Fix it.

Coldsnap has a more interesting layout.

English Mobster
December 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Seriously. There is no gameplay value in this map. Fix it.

Coldsnap has a more interesting layout.
Pretty much this.

bobsam
December 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
That is what I plan on doing. Hopefully...

Dwood
December 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
You know what would be a cool 3rd party tool in something like 3ds max (or something calculated in the in-game editor)? A damage simulator. So you can pick an effect from your game's assert library and choose the damage path, run it and then have the physics backend (try and) determine the after math in terms of geometry (which can then be baked in). Then the engine could also store the end state of the damage so the designer doesn't have to go in a add details for the damage (burnt ground decals and such).

I would love you, forever and ever.

bobsam
December 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I would love you, forever and ever.
this

legionaire45
December 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Or just have an engine with destructable world geometry. However, that is no easy task.

:voxels: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction)

Inferno
December 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
There's a tutorial on destroyable geometry in UDK. It basically takes a static mesh and breaks it apart and creates physics for it.

Neat shit.

English Mobster
December 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Of course Inferno would come into a HCE thread and talk about how Unreal is better. :smug:

Also, WHY is my username AND Domain both in the tags for this thread? I'm not angry, more... curious.
If you were trying to copy the tags in Domain's thread, you missed "cum farts (http://www.modacity.net/forums/tags.php?tag=cum+farts)".

supersniper
December 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
so this is a zanzibar add on?
what if you combined it with the beach area of zanzibar only?

bobsam
December 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Of course Inferno would come into a HCE thread and talk about how Unreal is better. :smug:

Also, WHY is my username AND Domain both in the tags for this thread? I'm not angry, more... curious.
If you were trying to copy the tags in Domain's thread, you missed "cum farts (http://www.modacity.net/forums/tags.php?tag=cum+farts)".
Are you happy now?

@supersniper: I won't be because there is no point if you can't get over there...

supersniper
December 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
and that's where you make your imagination ;)
maybe make a door and provide an inside level
or stairs that let you go to the top of the wall,
provide more unique styles of combat

then maybe add some rocks to the beach

I can see this as a great map for assault.
ofcourse using inferno's assault scripts ;)

bobsam
December 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Did you read all my posts? I already said I will add rocks and you won't get on top of the walls because then you wil see out of the level...