PDA

View Full Version : It would be cool to have...Game Modification Ideas

CrAsHOvErRide
December 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Bugs/Fixes/Enhancements...anything you want. I'm out of ideas.

Restrictions? Obvious ones...and if Open Sauce can do it better (e.g. custom dev commands).

For instance...

-devmode restrictions removed *Done*

Now ogog.

Limited
December 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
inb4 netcode fix..

Would be cool to be able to log the chat but client side (so not on server).

Higuy
December 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Anti-Aliasing would be nice.

supersniper
December 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
that's already possible but i can't figure it out with my graphics card :/

jcap
December 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Would be cool to be able to log the chat but client side (so not on server).
OS already does that.

I don't understand this thread. :-/

Gwunty
December 6th, 2009, 02:18 PM
how about you make sapien not have specular on by default
that way my maps dont look like someone vomited all over them while im populating

Dwood
December 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hey patty how about... enabling bump maps on items other than the bsp itself?

Yeah that would be tough... Add a timer display in OS. That stuff I pm'ed you about on vivid-abstractions etc.

seanthelawn
December 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
What about an active camouflage fix for 1.09? I can't find one and DXTweaker doesn't work for me.

jcap
December 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
What about an active camouflage fix for 1.09? I can't find one and DXTweaker doesn't work for me.
I'm pretty sure OS has an active camo fix in it, but it's 1.08. Use that with version changer, or update OS to 1.09.

CrAsHOvErRide
December 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure OS has an active camo fix in it, but it's 1.08. Use that with version changer, or update OS to 1.09.
Didn't know OS could do that but I could just copy that part and paste it into the Halo exe so no OS or Version Changer necessary.

EDIT: It does...it was found by FireScythe but the idea is old. Changing the vendor. Would be possible to patch but I wonder if there will be problems or disadvantages if the vendor is hard coded for every graphic card out there.

Dwood
December 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
update OS to 1.09.

haha nice one....

Heathen
December 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM
that's already possible but i can't figure it out with my graphics card :/

no, pretty sure its impossible.
am I wrong?

Dwood
December 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM
no, pretty sure its impossible.
am I wrong?

Without reversing at least half the engine, no you are not.

Inferno
December 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Fix the fact that I get 33 ping on a FUCKING LAN NETWORK AT MY HOUSE.

Con
December 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Think you could find a fix for us nvidia users who have to disable decals or suffer huge framerate drops?

CrAsHOvErRide
December 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Fix the fact that I get 33 ping on a FUCKING LAN NETWORK AT MY HOUSE.

Move your mouse closer to the receiver, buy a short cable, replace the gold on your MoBo with silver and try to circumvent Einstein's first principle of General Relativity. :v:

EDIT: Con I could look into that.

Inferno
December 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Lol no. I get 2 to 3 ping in Unreal 2k4 and then like 33 to 60 in Halo.

It's some stupid shit with the netcode I'm sure.

CrAsHOvErRide
December 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Some of this stuff is easily done with OS. I guess I can just release a version with those basic fixes included.

Kornman00
December 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Lol no. I get 2 to 3 ping in Unreal 2k4 and then like 33 to 60 in Halo.

It's some stupid shit with the netcode I'm sure.
Well, some of the game updates are tied (unless modified via delagginator or the like) at 30 (or higher) game ticks (or it may have been FPS). I wouldn't be surprised if it was either: A) lying and including this watered down packet update value in the real ping (3 + 30) or B) Actually causing the pings to take that long to respond due to the time things are suppose to be updated. Just educated guesses though.

I've dedicated far more (personal) time in lower level systems and tool development to really get too deep in the Network engineering field for grade A games. However, at least this game doesn't suffer from 'WTF'isms like that in MW2. Maybe we should instead figure out a way to get IW to properly design and implement an XBL matchmaking and party interface? That or just wait for Reach and whomever ports it with Halo 3.

supersniper
December 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Without reversing at least half the engine, no you are not.
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=35242876

mybad i was thinking about that.

Warsaw
December 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Think you could find a fix for us nvidia users who have to disable decals or suffer huge framerate drops?

wat.

7800GT, and I get in excess of 200fps with decals enabled...:raise:.

chrisk123999
December 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Not all Nvidia cards have that problem.

Dwood
December 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Not all Nvidia cards have that problem.

all cards POST 7xxx era have this problem.

=sw=warlord
December 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
all cards POST 7xxx era have this problem.
Not mine, and i have a 8800GTS.

Cortexian
December 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I actually just tried with my 285, and it didn't drop!

Yoko
December 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Not mine, and i have a 8800GTS.
8600gt and I get huge fps drop :smith:

Hunter
December 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
NORMALS MAPS ON ALL SHADERS!!

Maniac
December 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I third the bumps on non BSP.

Inferno
December 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Bumps that actually show up with non-dynamic light.

t3h m00kz
December 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Halo's engine is horribly outdated, and the size of the playing community is down to near nothing, especially after the latest patch. I personally see no reason to want to upgrade a decade-old engine when Bungie would just release a new patch that voids all of the modifications.

If anything I'd say stick to 1.07 modding, as it was by far the most popular build, and works just fine with version changer.

Lateksi
December 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
8800GTS.
I have the same card and I get 1-20 fps when I enable decals.

1.07 works just fine with version changer.
Not for me :gonk:

tythespy
December 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Don't get mad but, I always have fun with this:
Halo Ce Cloner. But for dedicated Servers.

Cortexian
December 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Huh? What does Halo CE Cloner do?

Delta4907
December 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
The version I have lets you clone yourself in your local server. You respawn instantly, but your old body just stands there. Cloning while running makes the cloned biped run forever. If someone shoots a clone, you take damage as well, and if a clone dies, you die. The last time I used it I got an exception after cloning a few times.

Dwood
December 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The version I have lets you clone yourself in your local server. You respawn instantly, but your old body just stands there. Cloning while running makes the cloned biped run forever. If someone shoots a clone, you take damage as well, and if a clone dies, you die. The last time I used it I got an exception after cloning a few times.

I would LOVE this cloning app. In fact, making it possible to switch between clones would be amazing.

ShadowSpartan
December 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I would LOVE this cloning app. In fact, making it possible to switch between clones would be amazing.
Why? I don't see the point.

Inferno
December 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
He's dwood. That's the point.

Oh and again. Someone needs to explain to me why I get a 33ms on LAN.

It should be like 1 or 2 ms.

Dwood
December 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Quotin' dis.

CrAsHOvErRide
December 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Oh and again. Someone needs to explain to me why I get a 33ms on LAN.

It should be like 1 or 2 ms.
Korn did..

Dwood
December 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'd like to add that doing the clone app but at least allowing a person to move each clone separately would make amazing strides in doing ai online (in a fake manner) however I'm not sure if the clones would sync?

Inferno
December 9th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Korn did..

Well IDGI. Does the stupid game actually wait 30 ticks before sending the data to the clients or does the game just add a "fake" 30 ping to the real ping.

Either way on LAN I still lag like shit and I have to lead by 1 step which is way to much lead for a network that's quite literally 10 feet of cable between computers. The only reason my freinds don't like halo is the lag. If I could fix that we could actually play it on LAN without them raging at my epic leading.

edit-

I tried dellagonater once. It didn't make any difference.

edit 2-

Lol dwood the intended meaning of my post was "Dwood is a idiot. That's the point."

Being as shadow hates you o somshit bre.

Dwood
December 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Lol dwood the intended meaning of my post was "Dwood is a idiot. That's the point."

Being as shadow hates you o somshit bre.

No Shadow hates just about anyone that doesn't give a 'proper' explanation.

supersniper
December 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
so like cn said...
shadow hates you.

Choking Victim
December 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'd like to add that doing the clone app but at least allowing a person to move each clone separately would make amazing strides in doing ai online (in a fake manner) however I'm not sure if the clones would sync?
If you specifically volunteer to move the ai around individually (in real time, without pay) to simulate ai in every server that logs in to play "online coop", then sure, it'd make huge strides...

ShadowSpartan
December 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
If you specifically volunteer to move the ai around individually (in real time, without pay) to simulate ai in every server that logs in to play "online coop", then sure, it'd make huge strides...
Lol, must spread rep.

No Shadow hates just about anyone that doesn't give a 'proper' explanation.
You didn't give any explanation at all...so yeah.

Dwood
December 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
You didn't give any explanation at all...so yeah.

What obliges me to give one?

ShadowSpartan
December 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
What obliges me to give one?
Don't put words into my mouth about hating people who don't give a "proper" response. You gave no response to my question, and instead quoted Inferno's post thinking it was some kind of complement to you.

Nothing obligates you to give an explanation, though it would be nice.

Dwood
December 10th, 2009, 01:25 PM

All right, much better. While my dream is to have ai that syncs over the net, I realize that is impossible to do without many implications, so a while back bitidork and I formulated an idea (Limited said he would do the pathfinding if we would succeed in this endeavor) that one could 'fake' a player to make ai work.

The problem was that neither I nor biti had any idea how it would work b/c of the way the netcode was/is designed (We don't want to require a cd-key/hash per ai you see)

So now that I know about halo cloner and I know at least that the creation of the clone is possible, my hopes are much higher, however I bet limited has forgotten about that offer so I lower my goal to allow a person to set points and actions the client/clone should do. Not in the hope of making ai but rather to increase the abilities for machinima people.

Con
December 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM
You're right, explanations sure are nice (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=495618&postcount=9). As I see it, a proper explanation would have saved time in both of these threads.

ShadowSpartan
December 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
You're right, explanations sure are nice (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=495618&postcount=9). As I see it, a proper explanation would have saved time in both of these threads.
Maybe you should look a couple posts above. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=495612&postcount=5) I stated that only a few people know how the hash is actually calculated, that should be sufficient enough for him to come to the conclusion "Oh, so I can't do this then".

Con
December 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe you should look a couple posts above. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=495612&postcount=5) I stated that only a few people know how the hash is actually calculated, that should be sufficient enough for him to come to the conclusion "Oh, so I can't do this then".
Obviously it wasn't sufficient because your response left a lot to be desired (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=495650&postcount=25). I don't blame him for wondering.

Take it to PMs if you want to reply.

Limited
December 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
All right, much better. While my dream is to have ai that syncs over the net, I realize that is impossible to do without many implications, so a while back bitidork and I formulated an idea (Limited said he would do the pathfinding if we would succeed in this endeavor) that one could 'fake' a player to make ai work.
I guarantee you, I never said I would do pathfinding. I know that for a fact, because I have never mentioned Halo and pathfinding, to anyone, ever.

I may have been speaking to you about general pathfinding, thats because I have been researching different AI algorithms lately, but for personal projects only.

Either you completely misunderstood me, or you have me confused for someone else.

Dwood
December 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Sorry, that was CN3809 that said that.

Yes, I am ragging on you inferno

Limited
December 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Alright, just think before spitting out random names and random facts.

Inferno doesnt program though..