PDA

View Full Version : Triggerable Avalanche, Possibly?

December 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Would it be possible to make a triggered avalanche? It sounds plausible to me, but I figured I'd ask around and see what you guys think about it.

English Mobster
December 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Well... Yes and no.
You could fake one with lots of scripts and lots of trigger volumes, I suppose...

Problem: How the hell would you animate it? Animate every damn particle of snow sliding down the hill and make them scenery?

annihilation
December 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Possibly make it a vehicle falling down hill.
E: I don't think my idea would work.

English Mobster
December 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You'd have to make every flake of snow a vehicle for it to look believable.
The sheer physics calculations for that would cause exceptions.

Higuy
December 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It's possible. Both idea's would work. Just a matter of looks really though. I would go with animation, it would most likely look better.

jcap
December 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
It depends if you want your avalanche to be in the distance as something pretty, or if you want the person to be inside it. If you want it to be in the distance engulfing scenery, you can probably just do the same approach as smoke.

Dwood
December 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
It depends if you want your avalanche to be in the distance as something pretty, or if you want the person to be inside it. If you want it to be in the distance engulfing scenery, you can probably just do the same approach as smoke.

Con, I request you do an avalanche sky and make a tutorial out of it.

December 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I was thinking something with smoke particles or something similar; using vehicles is impractical and laggy, and I do want to see if it works with players/etc. I'm thinking that the "snow" could have damage attatched to it, so it has the force behind it to shove things around and etcetera. I'm not too worried about the after-effects of it; simply killing anything that happens to get swallowed by it would work, then replacing the area smothered by it with a large piece of scenery via a script would work, or simply having it run off a ledge or something out of the map also could do it. The only thing I'm unsure about is if the engine could handle so many particles moving around; lots of smoke from an explosion is similar, but I doubt it has nearly as many as an avalanche would have. I suppose adding some small "Snow Rocks" in it would work as well for looks.

Con
December 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.wintercampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/avalanche1.jpg

Simply looking at this, you can tell a particle system is out of the question for anything realistic. They're hard to get right, and halo's system isn't able to do anything like this in both behaviour and number. However, if it's something that has to interact with the player and the map, then you would have to settle with something crude. You would need the trigger point to spawn particles with physics that follow the hill. These particles would then create a "smoke" trail of billowing snow that slowly fades out. It would look best if this all stayed within one narrow valley to keep framerates up and make it as convincing as possible. Finally, the physics particles would need some sort of damage effect and sound attachment.

I'm not very familiar with halo's particles, but you might need to use projectiles for the leading ones.

@Dwood
I don't think art tricks can pull this off.

English Mobster
December 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
This would be very hard to do under ANY circumstances.

Con
December 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Agreed, but if anyone can get the particle system working then I'd be glad to make the texture for it.

Gwunty
December 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
your post count
:phonegonk:

annihilation
December 12th, 2009, 01:20 AM
How about white fire?

Dwood
December 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM
How about white fire?

That's essentially what it is, if I understand this correctly.

Choking Victim
December 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Your best bet:
Spawn a series of effects along the incline of a hill in a sequential order.

Example diagram:
\ = hill
* = spawn point of effect

\*
.\*
..\*
...\*
....\*
.....\*

you can then script them all to spawn in a sequential order starting with the first initial point, and ending at the bottom of the hill. If your looking to make the player become engulfed in the avalanche, and assuming this is a sp map, i'd suggest making it cut to a cinematic when the effect becomes close to the player, flash a white screen, then show a new bsp indicating that the avalanche occurred.

S3anyBoy
December 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'd suggest looking at that Gears 2 map, make it look kind of like that, and make sure to have lots of fog like they did, to make the shitty avalanche hard to see.

What's this for anyway?

neuro
December 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
just rig something to a bunch of individual bones (or dummies) and use it as a biped playing a specific animation or something. you can even have the trees be a part of it and have them falling down and shit (assuming you can animate)

FRain
December 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM
See how Leet did his flame grenade and try to evangelize and mill it around to work for an avalanche.

Dwood
December 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
i believe you can attach effects to an objects nodes. ill check tonight.

neuro
December 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
yes you can, you add markers, #name i believe