PDA

View Full Version : So, you want to get models from an N64 Rom

Dwood
December 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Well, in that case, I'm here to help then. First of all, I would like to have a premise that I do not condone pirating at all. The only way that you should even have those n64 roms is if you bought the actual game packs.

Now, after all that...

First of all, you're going to want to have the n64 emulator 1964, as it's the only one that I can remember which works with this plugin (outside of the long-dead nemu emulator)

2nd, you're going to want the following plugin .zip: http://www.filefront.com/15144179/plugin.zip/

3rd you're going to want to go to the root of your C:\ drive and from there, create a folder called VRML. This is where Lemmy's plugin will store the files of the wrl's that will be created.

Okay, after having installed 1964, you'll want to take my plugin .zip, extract, and completely overwrite your 1964 plugins folder.

Load up 1964 and go to plugins: video settings (ctrl - v)

You should now be seeing the following menu:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=188&pictureid=1486

If you see it, great! If you didn't/don't, I have no idea what's going on on your computer :P

ok now just exit that window without changing any settings.

Now, load up your rom and go to the 3d scene that you want.

All you have to worry about is that the 3d model you want is loaded into the ram (e.g. you can see everything you want) if not you're going to have to complete the models in sections on your own.

Ok, be sure you have your C:\VRML folder open so you can see the rom and the contents of the folder at the same time. Press f3, pausing the emulator, now go to your vid settings (ctrl-v) and check the box 'export .wrl' exit the vid settings. If VRML automatically fills up with a bunch of random-seeming images and an 'output.wrl' congradulations! You have now extracted your first 3d scene from a rom! If it doesn't fill out the VRML folder however, just quickly double tap f3 (only 1 frame game-time should be necessary, too many and you'll be losing data in any animated models you may want)

It does not end there, however. Now, import into max, selecting the appropriate import settings (you'll have to rotate all the models 90 degrees over the x axis if you're doing Goldeneye... lol) this part, you're going to want a reference model so grab a model/skeleton the size of Master chief or so and move it off to the side or so.

Now, grab all that gunk in the center of the origin, do the right-click scale (open the pop-out window, idk the shortcut for that lol) now grab those cursors and scroll baby scroll! Scroll until that map looks to be in proportion to not only what it is in game, but to what is ingame compared to what it should be to master chief/your reference model for scale.

-When working with these models and/or maps extracted from the roms, the backface cull and f9 key will become your friend very quickly, as a lot of faces will be flipped inside out et cetera-

-Tip: When you import a map/model, before you do anything to it model wise, quick-render it just to be sure all the faces are properly set up.

-Tip when fixing the model, only do it in sections so you don't get lost.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see some neat stuff coming from this tutorial!!!!!

http://www.modacity.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=188&pictureid=1484

That's a quickrender from max after screwing with the model.

My method of fixing the problems screwed it up and now I need to start over again but hey it was a learning lesson.

Ganon
December 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Which reminds me of a few projects of mine I should probably finish...

oh and If any of you plan on making use of this in ce, have fun recreating every last polygon

Dwood
December 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Which reminds me of a few projects of mine I should probably finish...

oh and If any of you plan on making use of this in ce, have fun recreating every last polygon

You don't have to recreate every last polygon if you do it right, but I highly doubt very many people know enough about max and how to work in pollies well enough to do so. (let's just say attaching EVERYTHING to 1 object and then converting them all to poly at the same time wasn't the smartest idea on the planet)

Just take each thing bit by bit.

annihilation
December 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Do you know if this would work with ePSX?
I really want to get the slig model from Oddworld.

Also, is that the first level in Golden Eye?

Dwood
December 16th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Do you know if this would work with ePSX?
I really want to get the slig model from Oddworld.

Also, is that the first level in Golden Eye?

This is designed solely for the 1964 emulator. You can try but I highly extremely doubt it would work.

e: And yes, that is the first level from goldeneye.

Donut
December 16th, 2009, 06:38 AM
something tells me a plugin designed for n64 emulation will not work with playstation(?) emulation

good find though. iv been wanting to do this for a while

Llama Juice
December 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
What's interesting about this is that it helps you understand how a lot of these older games were made, and what tricks they used to make stuff look alright with so few polies. Even if you don't want the models, it's still a good learning exercise to see how they cheated, so you can follow suit in your own games :P (I know most of the information is out dated, but NDS homebrew could still use these techniques.)

Donut
December 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
banjo and kazooie was pretty impressive in rusty bucket bay. you could stand up on one of those smoke stacks and see almost the whole level. the amount of 3d geometry being rendered seemed impressive for an n64 game to me

Dwood
December 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
banjo and kazooie was pretty impressive in rusty bucket bay. you could stand up on one of those smoke stacks and see almost the whole level. the amount of 3d geometry being rendered seemed impressive for an n64 game to me

Open it up and show us some screenies then my friend! I'd love to see that.