PDA

View Full Version : Squad-Based Gameplay

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
This is going to be a thread for the detailing of my project to bring a more squad-like game play into halo:

http://www.xfire.com/video/1be987/

I managed to grab that video pretty luckily imho. Sapien keeps crashing telling me that the player weapon deleted unexpectadly.

Why the flashlight? b/c I have no other alternative for issuing commands.

Con
December 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
That's cool, is there any way to point at a location and say "go there"?

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
That's cool, is there any way to point at a location and say "go there"?

I'm planning on having a flank and an advance ahead mode.

In fact, the framework for it's all ready. I just need to script it in

Higuy
December 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
You should make some sort of HUD thing to maybe show how many AI are following you, and what they're health is.

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
You should make some sort of HUD thing to maybe show how many AI are following you, and what they're health is.

I wouldn't know how to do that without open sauce tbh. And even then, unless someone volunteers to help me with open sauce i'd be lost lol.

Higuy
December 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't know how to do that without open sauce tbh. And even then, unless someone volunteers to help me with open sauce i'd be lost lol.
You can do it with the vehicle, however, thats a vehicle. If someone knew how to do it without open suace, that would be cool. or at least have how many AI are following you on the side.

Skarma
December 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I remember you talking about this a while ago, really like this idea, especially RTS. Once I get OS updated and boost lib. installed, I'll help you out with the design and implementation. FUN :downs:

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I remember you talking about this a while ago, really like this idea, especially RTS. Once I get OS updated and boost lib. installed, I'll help you out with the design and implementation. FUN :downs:

You make me very happy. :neckbeard:

Dwood
December 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Something's wrong with my keyboard ingame (I think some program is hijacking the keyboard priority) so I give you guys this:

http://www.xfire.com/video/1beb6e/

I need better tags. D:

E: I managed to record a vidja without my keyboard screwing with me. Just check my xfire profile for it when it's up (about 3 minutes from this edit)

Con
December 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
How do they know which direction is advance or retreat?

Heathen
December 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM
"await commands"

not "await for commands"

Advancebo
December 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
How do they know which direction is advance or retreat?

He probably toggles the ai_follow_player command on an off via flashlight. They'll just follow the player into the designated squads and work in those.

Con
December 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
What I mean is if you tell the AI to advance incrementally in front of the player then how do they know where that is?

edit:
I guess he has a bunch of squads set up sequentially and the script says for each one: "if you're told to move forward, advance to the next squad in the sequence."

Dwood
December 20th, 2009, 06:53 AM
"await commands"

not "await for commands"

Yeah I know. :P Was too lazy to fix that.

What I mean is if you tell the AI to advance incrementally in front of the player then how do they know where that is?

edit:
I guess he has a bunch of squads set up sequentially and the script says for each one: "if you're told to move forward, advance to the next squad in the sequence."

Basically. I can set up a method to get the ai to move ahead of the player but currently the method I have for ai advancing is by telling where the ai are and moving them ahead. I guess they don't move ahead of the player per se but rather they themselves move ahead incrementally. Requires a fairly... linear gameplay at the moment as I don't know how much script space I can use up.

Most of the lines of script, are not even continuous, for efficiency. There's only 3 continuous scripts.

Here's a link to my vid for those who missed it- http://www.xfire.com/video/1bebaa/

Limited
December 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hmm nice work. What happens if you kill the AI so much, they start attacking you. Will they still follow you after that?

Lateksi
December 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
"Master Chief is out of control! We have to stop hi---yes, Master Chief! We do as you say!"

Dwood
December 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hmm nice work. What happens if you kill the AI so much, they start attacking you. Will they still follow you after that?

Uh Yeah... i'm pretty sure there isn't a way to check on that in script. If so, I would make them invincible and hunt you down or something.

Limited
December 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Uh Yeah... i'm pretty sure there isn't a way to check on that in script. If so, I would make them invincible and hunt you down or something.
Cant you just have a room full of AI, you kill them all, then later in level you have this squad based thing and see what happens.

Dwood
December 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Cant you just have a room full of AI, you kill them all, then later in level you have this squad based thing and see what happens.

Yeah but atm my sapien is crashing any time I try to manipulate the tags. everything you see done right now was set up prior to one of the tags getting corrupted. :smith: I have no idea what's causing the problem right now so :v:

CodeBrain
December 20th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Everything you see done right now was set up prior to one of the tags getting corrupted. :smith: I have no idea what's causing the problem right now so :v:

That's exactly whats happening with my Phantom tags. I changed one thing in them, and Halo exceptions when the vehicle loads.

Now, the peculiar thing is that if I load the tag in Sapien, it works perfectly fine. No problems, no crashes, it just works.

Only when it is loaded in Halo (the actual executable) it exceptions when the phantom gets loaded.

I cannot figure out what tag is causing this. It makes me sad :(

Good_Apollo
December 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah I know. :P Was too lazy to fix that.

Basically. I can set up a method to get the ai to move ahead of the player but currently the method I have for ai advancing is by telling where the ai are and moving them ahead. I guess they don't move ahead of the player per se but rather they themselves move ahead incrementally. Requires a fairly... linear gameplay at the moment as I don't know how much script space I can use up.

Most of the lines of script, are not even continuous, for efficiency. There's only 3 continuous scripts.

Here's a link to my vid for those who missed it- http://www.xfire.com/video/1bebaa/
If it's going to be so linear, what gameplay point is there to having squad commands?

Aside from experimentation of course...

Skarma
December 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Try and undo the last few steps you guys did. Then step by step try to reproduce the bug. It's probably in how the map is compiled, some null pointer or something. I wish Halo had better error checking / reporting.

I think OS will really push this project forward. I'm hoping to have OS updated and out by xmas.

If it's going to be so linear, what gameplay point is there to having squad commands?

Aside from experimentation of course...I suggested to him to write up design documentation or some visual models. Hopefully it is taken seriously

Dwood
December 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I suggested to him to write up design documentation or some visual models. Hopefully it is taken seriously

I fixed the problem (was a corrupted AR. now I need a new one. :\)

I have a visual model of what I was describing last night. If you're on xfire tonight I'll send the pic then.

E: I'm going on vacation soon so this probably won't be updated however I'm going to try and see how much script I can add to a map before it over loads... If there's a MASSIVE bottleneck I'm def going with skarma on os but we'll see what happens first (probably not until jan will I have a decision)