PDA

View Full Version : Halo PC Gravity Gun V3

CrAsHOvErRide
January 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah...you've seen this probably a thousand times but here is my/our final version. Works for 1.09 Halo PC, SP and MP on all objects.

I wrote it in C# and Brandon is converting it to a C++/DLL which will then be released soon.

Here a small preview...
fnkLUns-gfc

Enjoy. :-3

www.brandinimp.com (http://www.brandinimp.com)
www.vivid-abstractions.net (http://www.vivid-abstractions.net)

Syuusuke
January 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
ALL objects??

Cortexian
January 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Oh wow, if you could make a dedicated server that synced up all players using this (and a custom version so only people with the mod can play on the servers) people could make maps like in that HL2 mod... I forget what the HL2 mod is called but you basically ran around making your own bases/structures out of things that were lying around the map and then you fought it out!

CrAsHOvErRide
January 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM
ALL objects??
Everything except for the bsp.

Oh wow, if you could make a dedicated server that synced up all players using this (and a custom version so only people with the mod can play on the servers) people could make maps like in that HL2 mod... I forget what the HL2 mod is called but you basically ran around making your own bases/structures out of things that were lying around the map and then you fought it out!

Problem is that the Halo engine pretty much sucks for this kind of stuff. Collision gets lost sometimes, vehicles disappear...not to mention it doesn't sync in the first place.

I agree though..it would be cool. It also would not be too hard to save it as well.

Higuy
January 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
This is pretty cool, great job. I see a window of opportunity that could use this to make some pretty cool levels.

Inferno
January 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Can it catch rockets and projectiles?

CrAsHOvErRide
January 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
:O

It should I haven't tried it yet. Though maybe the time would be too short for the app to calculate everything when the rocket arrives. This should be no issue with the C++/DLL though. tl;dr yeah.

Inferno
January 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM
:O

It should I haven't tried it yet. Though maybe the time would be too short for the app to calculate everything when the rocket arrives. This should be no issue with the C++/DLL though. tl;dr yeah.

There needs to be a map where you have to catch rockets and throw them back at a AI or something.

That would be fun.

English Mobster
January 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Holy crap. Have a command which grants the player flight capabilities with flashlight or something, and then you could have a Forge mode in H1.
That's fucking awesome.

How would it save the levels? Would it save it as a .map file? This could theoretically give mapmakers the ability to BALANCE A LEVEL WHILE PEOPLE ARE PLAYING.
You, sir, are my hero. +rep.

chrisk123999
January 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Scenery changes won't sync. So the most you could you is move around other players and vehicles online. That and weapons.

Delta4907
January 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM
That's pretty damn awesome. Someone needs to animate the fp hands for that.

Con
January 10th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Something like this would be great for placing and tweaking scenery, vehicles and weapons in map dev.

itszutak
January 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Holy motherfucking shit.

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 05:22 AM
You don't want to know what happens when you let go of that rocket and it finally collides

Donut
January 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
i wanna know :iamafag:

Limited
January 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Pfft you ask for my addresses and ditch me pat :(

:D Nice work though, can you rotate objects? (Around Z max, Y 3D world).

Heathen
January 10th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Make a Half Life gravity gun gmod physics gun

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
i wanna know :iamafag:
Oh, well you see when the projec-

GATHERING EXCEPTION DATA

which is why I never took the time to include the Forger (not an actual weapon, just a mode you can turn on/off) from Project Yellow into OS. Other than unit objects it caused instability and exceptions. If you correctly "disconnect" the object from the bsp before moving it around, then "connect"ing it back, in theory there would be no issues.

Was fun while it lasted though since you could keep increasing the (eg, vehicle's) roll and pitch values while holding it and it would act as if it was in a vacumn...until it finally collided with something causing massive amounts of boucy bounce.

E: The system I had in place for it also easily allowed specifying who was the active Forger. So you could assign someone on your server to be the Forger and they could move shit around. Potentially, you could have assigned another unit (biped/vehicle, not just a player) to act as a Forger.

CrAsHOvErRide
January 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Pfft you ask for my addresses and ditch me pat :(

:D Nice work though, can you rotate objects? (Around Z max, Y 3D world).
I thought about it and I want to add that too. Also I think we can imitate physics a bit at least on some items. :iamafag:

I did that a long time ago once.
L2Y1oEAwQ0I

Dwood
January 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
:Forge: :Skarma:

CrAsHOvErRide
January 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Yeah he did the ESP thing first but I still not stole his idea since I did this back then already. Not to this extend though of course. %)

PenGuin1362
January 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
If someone will skin it, I'll whip up the phys gun from gmod for shits and gigs if it'll work in it.

CrAsHOvErRide
January 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM
This app is not dependent on the gun. You can use any gun you want. A gravity gun should not be a problem then :P

Usually the reticle turns red when you can pickup something but the first level is an exception on this I guess.

Good news...rotation is working already.

Dwood
January 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
btw... havent watched the vids cus im posting from my phone but you mentioned this is for pc...? not ce?

CrAsHOvErRide
January 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I just tested and it works for both.

Inferno
January 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I could easily rip and ingame the gravity gun from gmod. You should make it dependent on the weapon though.

Unless penguin wants to make a custom one.

Dwood
January 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Dependant on the weapon would be great. i could make some great sp mods with that

CrAsHOvErRide
January 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
It shouldn't be a problem to change that.

NerveBooger
January 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Would love your rocket cam too . . . . would be fun to set the projectile to homing (guided angular velocity at 70k) and far reticle range, but slow moving - slightly faster than the MC - certain, but slow - and a good chance of out maneuvering the rocket - mean while - you are vulnerable but get to watch your enemy run. I think you did this with a script and attached the camera to the rocket? - I have tried and failed 400 times to do that. - off topic, but release or pm to me?

Look forward to your gravity gun app. You could make a verticle map, and by moving objects on the parts of the bsp climb out of the "hole" - or team up and do kind of a leap-frog (I move you - you move me) the whole thing would be very . . . moving. :downs: Maybe a weapon which after a few uses - self destructs?

NuggetWarmer
January 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Use the Halo gravity rifle for the weapon model. :D

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM

this

Con
January 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
It needs proper UVs first.

CrAsHOvErRide
January 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Isn't it in H2 Zanzibar or something? I forgot.

Also, shooting objects (vehicles,bipeds) works now and rotation.

Advancebo
January 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
What about dead bodies? Can they be moved around?

chrisk123999
January 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Isn't it in H2 Zanzibar or something? I forgot.

Also, shooting objects (vehicles,bipeds) works now and rotation.

Engine Room Beta has it. H2 Zanzibar is protected.

Dwood
January 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Make a custom tag type in cheApe that lets us define the proper gun?

Heathen
January 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM

look, for reference, this guy made a model of it irl.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/vac_sanitizer.jpg

No kidding though, I saw a video on prerelease halo 1, and they showed an elite holding a golden sniper like weapon that was obviously the gravity rifle with a VERY extended barrel.

Incidentally, if someone can find this video I would be happy since I wanted to watch it again. It has bungie guys commentating over it.

Amit
January 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM

Garry's Mod.

t3h m00kz
January 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Incidentally, if someone can find this video I would be happy since I wanted to watch it again. It has bungie guys commentating over it.

I think that's the "Evolution of Halo" video, could be wrong

CrAsHOvErRide
January 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/GravityGunV3 BETA.rar (http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/GravityGunV3%20BETA.rar)

A small test version. It works better in HaloPC. I don't know if it works for and I should mention that it is resource intensive.

Start Halo first then this app. Please don't upload this anywhere since it's not finished yet.

tythespy
January 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Got it to work on halopc but not haloce.
sometimes it grabs objects from behind me and through things
but it still fun to use

CrAsHOvErRide
January 14th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah I have to fix the behind thing. Maybe I'll get help from the community on that math part :-3

Dwood
January 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
What's the current math for grabbing the object? I have the original Halo Forge on my computer and it's Open Source.

Heathen
January 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I think that's the "Evolution of Halo" video, could be wrong

cant find the whole thing to dl.

could you????????????

Garry's Mod.

No, he is talking about that build-a-base mod.

CrAsHOvErRide
January 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
What's the current math for grabbing the object? I have the original Halo Forge on my computer and it's Open Source.
It's simple math. The problem mentioned above took be about 1 minute to solve in Religion class :-3

Dwood
January 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's simple math. The problem mentioned above took be about 1 minute to solve in Religion class :-3

Cool.

Btw, what do you think of my idea for making our own tag reference to the/a weapon for the Grav gun?

bobsam
January 15th, 2010, 09:12 PM
No Clip possibly?

1bobsam1
January 16th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I apparently I haz two Modacity accounts.... Any way I keep getting an EXCEPTION!

CrAsHOvErRide
January 16th, 2010, 05:57 AM
No Clip possibly?
What do you mean?

I apparently I haz two Modacity accounts.... Any way I keep getting an EXCEPTION!
Where do you get an exception...Halo or the application? Are you sure you are using Halo PC 1.09?

t3h m00kz
January 17th, 2010, 01:14 AM
cant find the whole thing to dl.

could you????????????

Nah, the only one I saw was on youtube :(

1bobsam1
January 17th, 2010, 01:51 AM
oops I forgot about updating -___- and no clip as in float around through floors and walls like GMOD

CodeBrain
January 17th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Technically noclip could be achieved by nulling the players collison and changing the player biped tag to allow "flying", however since Halo's tag system can only be directly changed within Guerilla, I don't believe it would be possible.

Even if you could, nulling the collision would either make the player fall through the level, or crash the game.

Besides, in Gmod, Noclip was a console command developed for the Source engine to use. Halo never needed noclip, so it obviously never got made.

1bobsam1
January 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Alrighty then.

CrAsHOvErRide
January 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
What CodeBrain said. If I wanted to make it wall through I would have done it in camera mode. :-3